RACV Car Insurance

RACV Car Insurance

RACV - immoral and unethical

Name spelled incorrectly after numerous attempts to rectify, banking details captured incorrectly after numerous attempts to rectify, 45 minute wait time for calls to be answered, terrible communication. From a vehicle claim of $4100 we finally recieved a total of $1900. Not sure what RACV expect I'll get as a replacement for $1900?

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2019

Never again

Our camper trailer was damaged, probably $10k damage on a $40k camper. It was eventually written off because the RACV recommended repairer was incompetent and a liar. We eventually received EFT payment for the contents and then EFT for the camper and then they said that they could refund the unused policy premium amount until they sold the wreck! They have got to be kidding. They then sent the cheque (why not EFT) to the wrong address (yet to be received) This has taken 6 months . I once had 6 insurance policies with the RACV, this was the last

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Claim DateSeptember 2018

Horrible experience

Our camper was damaged in a storm, and in October 2019 we started the insurance claim and dropped the caravan off to the repairer. This claim has dragged on for 4 months and we have been given excuse after excuse why its taken so long. Very low cash settlements have been offered but they wouldn't cover the labor let alone the parts to fix it. The call center and assessors have no idea about caravans or how to repair them.

Positive experience after not at fault accident

We were involved in a not at fault accident where our car was written off. It was brand new and we had only had the car for two months. We have had absolutely no issues dealing with the Claims Department of the RACV. Having never been involved in a car accident before I rang the Claims Department multiple times asking minor questions and every person I spoke to was very friendly and helpful. The only sight negative is the wait time when I rang, was up to an hour each time. We were given a pay out to purchase two new child seats as per our policy and we had a brand new car exactly the same as we had previously had within four weeks of the accident sourced by the RACV and delivered to our door. We will be insuring the new car with the RACV again after our positive experience during a traumatic time of being in a car accident with young children.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJanuary 2019

They spent 48k to repair a car worth 46k not to write it off

I was rear-ended at the lights. RACV insurance spent on repairs and car hire more than what the car was worth. The assessor had no care or idea of the extent of the repair and because i could see it was cheaper to write off then repair he did the opposite costing them more. RACV has lost its way

Car Modelmercedes 2014
Claim DateJuly 2018

completely crap

completely crap!. I called to make a change of the policy and it took more than an hour and still have not received the new certificate of currency. I don't recommend this company at all

Car ModelLand Rover Range Rover Sport

1 star is too high for them

Disgusting, careless, on hold for hours, no one knows anything. According to them you can goletin the car, hit someone and then when you get a letter return it saying you don’t live there and you will get away with it!

Terrible service

wasting customer's time on the phone without thinking twice, trying to win a war of attrition with a customer so that he/she gives up their rights when having to deal with RACV's monstrous and deliberately incompetent bureaucracy. "Let me put you on hold" for 38 minutes when I ask to speak to the supervisor, arrogant and inflexible answers. I have a large insurance portfolio with RACV including cars, houses and business. Will now move all of it elsewhere.

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes

RACV Roadside Assistance

I had been a member of RACV for nearly 15 years without any roadside assistance used. RACV did not honour my years of loyalty or care about my circumstances with making one mistake on a payment which I was unaware of.
Hit and miss with staff some are nice some are terrible. Bad policy.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelSubaru Forester SH (2008–2012)

Worst Service Ever

On hold for over 40+ min every time you call.
You have to call to get update.
12 days still with no update on total loss car. Service is terrible.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelHolden Ute VE (2007-2013)
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
OMG my car has been lost...Called RACV Total Loss Dept - after 23 min on hold thought I'd mention to them how long I had waited and their response, "you've got us on a good day"... Why bother their too big and they can afford to treat people like crap. Two months and still no money - they refused to provide me details of the assessment or police report - so i could at least try to go through the TP - whom was taken by Ambo from the scene limiting the opportunity to exchange details. Well Done RACV - absolutely pathetic

OK insurance - Call wait times unbearable.

I have been with RACV for 3-4 yrs and have recently made a not at fault claim. Overall the experience has been OK, with prompt resolution of where to take my car for repair and provision of hire car with absolutely no out of pocket expenses as of yet. Very pleasantly surprised. Only two complaints (1) The time it has taken to repair the vehicle, while of no major inconvenience (as a hire car is provided), it seems excessively long (over a month) for the damage sustained, even with it being the Christmas break. (2) The most annoying by far, is the call wait time. On the day of the accident i was on hold for close to an hour. And subsequent calls have not been much better with wait times of 20mins+ - this is SERIOUSLY frustrating and almost enough to make me change insurers.

Worst experience

I had been with RACV for 3 years, when I made my first claim. A taxi ran a red light and we collided. I contacted RACV and all was fine in the beginning and we began the process of getting my car repaired. Was sent to RPM in Sunshine, and they had my car for a week. I went to pick up my car just before 5pm as that was when I was told to arrive, and was stuck waiting until 6pm as they had not finished my car yet. RPM close at 5pm so I was waiting even after they had officially closed. When they gave me my car I was told I needed to return the following day as they had not finished the job. After inspecting my car I saw they hadn't even fixed the original issue, as my door was still sticking out, and the damaged part of my car was painted a different colour. I returned the next day with a male as I felt I was being taken advantage of with my lack of knowledge with cars. Turns out my tire was still flat, they had gotten paint on the inside of my car, my tint was scratched, along with numerous other issues. They failed to fix it the second time and I was forced to go to another repairer.

In terms of the claims process, the taxi was blaming me and was refusing to show the footage they had from their dash cam. I had a witness and forwarded those details on to RACV the first time I called, and I also filled out a report with diagrams. I heard nothing from RACV in 6 weeks, and when I called them I always dealt with someone new who knew nothing about the case. They told me they contacted my witness but their number was disconnected however this was untrue. In the 2 months it took to resolve this, my witness was never contacted, they lost my report with the attached diagrams, and their lawyers missed the deadline to contact the taxi's lawyers which resulted in someone knocking on my door serving me with papers saying I owe $8000 for damages and am required to attend court, and if I fail to do so I will get arrested.

When I contacted RACV in tears about this they apologised and said they missed the deadline in contacting the taxi's lawyers which is why they went directly to me. I was furious with this outcome as I had already paid the $1000 excess that was required for them to investigate further, 2 months back yet RACV could not organise things on their end. Despite being innocent I never got reimbursed for the excess I had to pay and opted to drop the case as it became too stressful. I immediately left RACV and will never return.

Insurance claim madeYes
We are so sorry to hear of your claims experience with us. If you would like to have it invetigated further please PM us your full name, claim/policy/rego number and best contact, and we will have someone get in touch with you. Kind regards, Craig RACV

Extremely rude and unprofessional claim team and never able to help

I've used RACV for almost 2 years and lodged a few claim and when it comes to getting the assessment report the claim team is hopeless. I have to call 10 times and sent out 20 emails just to get one simple report and an still waiting. One of the customer service, [name removed], is extremely rude and unhelpful. Keep interrupting while I'm talking and never listen to my request and put me back on hold after. STUPID company, I'll transfer my policy to other insurance company.

Insurance claim madeYes
Dear Ivy, we are sorry to hear of your service experience in regards to your motor insurance claim. We do appreciate your feedback and we will contact you to discuss this further. Kind regards, Kristen - Specialised Support Services

Said they would call back, and never did

Been with RACV for 30 years, upgraded our car and rang for an insurance quote. I was put on hold for long periods twice, and eventually the operator came back with a quote of just over $1000 more than what I currently pay. When I said this was excessive and queried why it was so much more, I was told that there could be things trimmed off and if I could be put on hold again, the operator would look at it again. As the call had already taken 31 minutes and I had to get back to work, I asked if I could be called back. I was assured I would be called back. Five days later and I'm still waiting for the call. I'm incredibly disappointed with the complete lack of service and how RACV have treated a loyal and long standing customer. Actually I should amend that to FORMER loyal customer

Insurance claim madeNo
We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience Peter. Please call 137228 and a consultant will be more than happy to assist. Warm regards, Nick - Social Media Consultant.

Worst customer service

I have been with RACV for a while now and have home insurance as well as comprehensive car insurance. I was involved in an accident back in early December 2018. I made a claim, went through the whole process and had the phone interview. I wasn't at fault either. I was given a hire car until the duration of the claim, till it's settled (as what is said on their policy). But mid way through the claim, they took back the hire car and said they are not further extending the rental period due to "uncertainties". Where in your policy does it say that we can cancel a hire car if there's any uncertainties? Ever since that phone interview, I have not been contacted, or spoken to by any RACV claims with regards to my claim. I haven't been told if they're fixing my car for me. There's zero communication. My claim is being tossed around like a hot potato from one person to another. They are extremely rude and ignorant towards me when I call them. Each time I do call and want to speak to the person in charge of my claim, she is never available. Not once, has she ever answered the phone. It has been nearly 6-7 weeks and I still haven't got a call from them. They have been stealing money but there is nothing given in return. Initially, I had also made a complaint to their department about all of this and the delay, and lack of communication. I never received a response for that either. I went to an external company to handle my dispute with them, but RACV has told them they have no record of any complaint made towards them. This company is a joke. They're hiding information as well because they know they are in the wrong.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Mustafa, we are sorry to hear of your claims experience and for the run around. We would like the opportunity to escalate this matter to our Member Relations team, in order for us to so, please send us a message with your full name, claim number and contact number. Kind regards, Sulin

Terrible customer service

Trying to May a claim for contents insurance after a burglary and can’t get any help.
It took a week for the person assigned to my claim to contact me, she was unhelpful and unpleasant. On Thursday I listed the items I wish to claim and the session timed out and nothing saved. I used the online chat function to see if anything had saved but they couldn’t view it or provide any assistance. I sent an email asking the same thing, no response. I have just spend another 2 hours adding all my items I am claiming, again the session timed out and nothing saved?! Why does this happen? Why does no one respond to emails and when you call you are left on hold for ridiculous amounts of time. It’s difficult enough dealing with the fact someone has been in your home and stolen your personal property then, you try and re coup what you can by making a claim on the insurance you pay for and it’s just more stress and worry and no one there to assist?

Insurance claim madeYes

Shocking customer service, handball all problems to other staff. Useless

Have been woth racv for almost 2 years now, I pay my premium on time, every time. Someone ran up the back of me 2 months ago and started the claim 10 minutes after accident. 2 months later, still waiting for my car to be repaired. When ever I call no one likes to take responsibility for this claim and throws another co worker under the bus. Questioning why I bother paying for /staying with racv insurance, seeing how In the event of an accident, when you need your insurance company the most, you have nothing but issues and delays.
Absolutely useless. Do not recommend racv insurance.

Insurance claim madeYes
Good afternoon Ben, we are sorry to hear of your motor insurance claims experience. We do appreciate your feedback and we will contact you to discuss this further. Kind regards, Kristen Jones - Specialised Support Services

Have been waiting for over 2 hours. 2nd time this has happened

Don’t get roadside assistance with RACV. Paid $170 and have been waiting for 2 hours in Dandenong for a tow truck which is still not here. Happened last time when I was in the city while stuck on the freeway. Would’ve called someone to do it privately and would be home by now.

Insurance claim madeNo
Good afternoon Member, we are sorry to hear that RACV Roadside Assistance did not meet your expectations. We do appreciate your feedback and we will contact you to discuss this further. Kind regards, Kristen Jones - Specialised Support Services

AMAZING Customer Service

I Have been with RAC for over ten years now and had absolutely no issues. I sold my car over a year ago and lazy me did not cancel my Policy!

I spoke with a lady named Nicole who was nothing short of exceptional. I called with no intentions other than to cancel my policy moving forward and after having a laugh about why I was calling, Nicole helped refund two months of repayments I had made, really for no reason at all. Customer Service that I will never forget

I cant thank them enough and will be calling them again to begin my next policy very soon!!

Thanks RAC :)

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Kris N, we are glad to hear of your great service experience with Nicole. We do appreciate your feedback and we look forward to being of assistance when you commence your next policy. Kind regards, Kristen Jones - Specialised Support Services

Emperor's New Clothes

Im a 30 yr gold racv member.4 policies.NEVER made an at fault claim.keep that in mind.
In October I was hit,drivers door,no fault,confirmed by vic pol,other driver charged.
Cut out by MFB,Police attended,ambulance,8hrs ED,scans for head and body.
Called RACV on day of collision to commence claim
It took many calls to many people before I was finally denied a rental?!
I received a letter from RACV requesting if I wished to initiate a claim,although I had already commenced that process.I wrote an email to RACV concerned by that unprofessional,incompetent conduct.That email was never responded to?!Although I did receive the exact same letter from an admin idiot four days later?!
A month after the accident without any conversation or consultation with RACV I received an email for final payment.Real low ball amount.(excess not discussed)On a sliding scale of market value RACV was unreasonable and illogical.Remember 30yrs gold member.ALL monies for 30 yrs going in one direction?!
I insured my new car for 23K @ $800(not suprisingly RACV were not considered)My last comprehensive insurance policy from RACV was $820 for the pricely payout of...$5K?! Thats very interesting accounting.Im positive some pre programmed corporate drone could spend all day explaining to me how that deal was mtually benefical and of course I was a valued,required customer.However you dont need to be a professor in economics to see at first glance how unacceptable,unfair and unjust that behaviour is.
2 months after my accident,not 2 days or 2 wks but 2 months after my claim I received a call concerned by the tone and issues raised in my emails.After 20 min I was offered another $500.When I replied to the subsequent email I questioned if in fact I was entitled to a rental.RACV response after 2 MONTHS was in the affirmative.That is $820 that I was owed which would have been forfeited because I believe RACV has policies to confuse and deny customers what is rightfully theirs.Shameful and unethical!
Insurance is a responsible action.We hope that in an unfortunate set of circumstances when we need support and comfort and a polished proactive professional the company will out preform our expectations,tick all the boxes and make that particular problem as painless as possible...thats the theory!
My reality was apathetic indifference,unprofessional plodders and a total disregard and violation of my trust built over 30 yrs of payments...
These are the 5 phases of dealing with this insurance behemouth: confusion , concern , anxiety , anger , resentment !
RACV are the insurance equivilent of the wizard of Oz.The management hide behind the brand and history.The company is unbelievably and disappointingly underwhelming.If your expecting acceptable decent outcomes,respect,loyality and professional conduct you should seek out a company with different priorities.Hubris,greed,incompetence and arrogance were suppose to be negative characteristics not SOP's and KPI's...regrettably
#nextroyalcommission?

Insurance claim madeYes
Dear Member, We are sorry to hear of your recent experience and would like to have someone look into this further for you. Can you please PM us your policy/claim/rego number, full name and best contact and we will pass it onto our Member Relations team. Kind regards, Craig RACV