Car Insurance Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of car insurance would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

1.9

• Timeliness
  • Job Satisfaction

Terrible Service

Customer Service don't know their products and tell fibs, don't return calls on time as organised. Steer clear of this insurance provider if you want peace of mind as RACV will only give you the runaround and getting money out of them is like trying to get money out of a Jew, NO CHANCE.

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Claim DateMay 2020
Claim ApprovedNo
Suppa

Suppa

Rude Customer Representatives!

Not all of them, but many of them are rude. I had a issue with card payment and had to call them. They don't listen and ignoring questions. Very disappointed!

Car ModelToyota HiAce
Angela

AngelaNortheast, VIC

Never again

Car ModelNissan Juke F15
Elise E.RACV

Hi Angela, we’re sorry to hear that RACV Insurance did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback. We will contact you via private message to discuss this further and investigate.

Tonydoug

TonydougGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Three cars insured over many years.

Every time I have made a claim I found staff extremely helpful. Claims were made promptly as was the quality of work. I am unhappy that policy cost increases well beyond CPI each year. Rather annoying.

Car ModelSubaru Forester

Worst insurance company to deal with

Claim MadeYes
Claimant is the policy holder No
Claim DateMarch 2020
Claim ApprovedNo
Elise E.RACV

Hi Cameron, we’re sorry to hear that RACV Insurance did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback. We will contact you via private message to discuss this further and investigate.

Warm regards, Tammy - Social Media Consultant.

Insurance gone up for riduculous amount

Weve been in this company for the last 7 yrs without any claims has been made on our 2 cars insured with them and now got the renewal and noticed that our 2 policy on went sky rocketing and we have our home and content insurance to with them this company is a thief at this current time and situation with people loosing jobs and cutting hours due to this pandemic they dont care about their loyal client.now im pulling off the 3 insurances that we have from you RAcV thief,any way at the end of the day its not my loss its your loss!losing your valued and loyal client for the last 7 years.

frankdaniel19

And your sales consultant are such a shame representing your company.3 insurances youve just loss it.

Elise E.RACV

Hi , we’re sorry to hear that RACV Insurance did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback. We will contact you via private message to discuss this further and investigate.

Warm regards, Elise - Social Media Consultant.

If you want to call me thats fine. My mobile no is 0414949076

MargLevin

MargLevinGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Could not make it harder or dangerous for a "vulnerable" client.

When an accidental double payment was made "electronically", a refund as an ANZ Bank Chq. arrived (AIK204). A NAB Bk Chq. was also given after ending roadside assist. WE CAN'T LEAVE THE HOUSE DUE TO COVID20 and being vulnerable! We cannot visit two banks.

Insurance TypeVeteran, Vintage and Classic Vehicle
Thiraj F

Thiraj FGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Haven’t Settled claim yet.

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Third Party, Fire and Theft
Car ModelMitsubishi Outlander
Julz

Julz

Too expensive

Been with this insurance company for many years and found them very Good but the only thing is they have become way too expensive, every year their insurance goes up , l received a $1104 renew bill for comprehensive insurance this year 2020 , last year 2019 l paid $872 a big hike in price !!!! had no claims in past 5 yrs , so had no choice but to go to another company got the same deal but at $440 less than racv that’s a big saving for me . As an racv member bronze l found the discounts on products like tickets were a savings of just $2 not worth it really

Saqib

SaqibGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

WORST service and WORST customer service ever - RACV Motor Insurance

Car ModelVolkswagen Passat
FORMER SHAPES LOVER

FORMER SHAPES LOVERSouth East Queensland, QLD

Premiums for under 25 years old do not automatically change when you have a birthday.

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Car ModelToyota Avalon
Elise E.RACV

Excuse me, but what happened in that 30 minutes? Same address, same car, same details and your saying that you take into account everything, REALLY!!!

Loyalty discounts seem disingenuous and website has issues

Wont take my money

Erika

Erika

Super easy set up!

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to the three team members I was in contact with as I set up for my first ever car insurance policy. They made the process incredibly simple and were all knowledgeable about RACV policy. Can't be easy for them with everyone working from home at the moment but they were patient and professional the entire time. Plus I got a great price! This was a great customer service experience and so far I am glad to have chosen RACV as my insurer :)

Andrew P.

Andrew P.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

4 weeks ago I was told I would be contracted in three days. Still waiting!

We had two cars damaged in the hail storm in Melbourne. With with another insurer is already being fixed promptly, the other still in the progress with no service. I would have hoped RACV as a member based organisation would have been better

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateFebruary 2020
Car ModelHyundai Santa Fe DM Active
Elise E.RACV

Hi Andrew, we’re sorry to hear that RACV Insurance did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback. We will contact you via private message to discuss this further and investigate.

Warm regards, Jon
RACV Social Media Consultant

Paige C.

Paige C.

Excellent service

Can not fault RACV claims in relation to my car claim, everything went smoothly and nothing was a hassle. They were always friendly and willing to answer any questions in relation to the claim, rental vehicle was arranged efficiently and was a great easy claims process

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Claim DateFebruary 2020
Ginger Hh

Ginger HhGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Pure greed and NO loyalty to their customers

Car ModelSkoda Fabia
ktm573

ktm573VIC, 3912

Delaying in payment of claim

I have full comprehensive insurance its been 8 weeks I have taken my car to 3 seperate body works and the assessor has also had a look at the car still no result. don't bother with RACV insurance go somewhere else. Every time I call I am on hold for at least 20min listening to them telling me my time is valuable. these guys are a joke biggest mistake I made was trusting Racv insurance

Claim DateJanuary 2020
Elise E.RACV

Warm regards, Tammy - Social Media Consultant.

Alan W.

Alan W.Northeast, VIC

To Much Every Year.

Got my Motor policy and WOW talk about price increases it just gone too far now. Been with them for over 20 Years they have lost our farm policy as well as house and contents they have lost one of our cars and it looks like they will loose the other two vehicles as well So Much for being a member do yourself a favour get other quotes.

Elise E.RACV

Hi Alan , we’re sorry to hear that RACV Insurance did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback. We will contact you via private message to discuss this further.

Mel

MelGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

RACV roadside assistance

RACV roadside assistance was horrible especially with the tow truck. They asked me to write for 90 mins for the tow truck to come and I have been waiting for 120 mins for the tow truck to come as my car has broken down. I feel so horrible waiting for 2 hours. RACV roadside service was really horrible. I feel very disappointed and upset indeed with RACV. I think RACV can do better than this. Hope they can improve.

Car ModelFord Focus
Elise E.RACV

Good Evening Mel, we’re sorry to hear that our Emergency Roadside Assist service did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback. We will contact you to discuss this further.

janus

janusasked

Car Insurance

Hi, I'm a 32 year old driver and had my 1st car in Australia so have a little knowledge of how car insurance works here, i applied for my RACV insurance for my 2015 mitsubishi lancer and my annual payment is $1236 but i choose to pay monthly so it has a $200 increase. i have my own garage so i think my car is safe. can you clear my mind about this, why is it like so high compared to other insurance providers. thankyou

Hi Janus,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your Motor Insurance policy held with RACV.

As a premium insurer, our level of cover differs from other insurance providers and for what we offer we are quite competitive.

Please ensure to compare our Motor Insurance Product Disclosure Statement with the other insurers to make sure you are getting the same premium level of cover as there may be incidents that we cover that other insurers may not. You can view this here - https://www.racv.com.au/content/dam/racv/documents/insurance/racv-motor-insurance/motor-insurance-pds-current.pdf

We advise that your insurance premium is based on risk factors and the likelihood of a claim being made on your policy in the future.

Some of our premium calculations include pricing factors, discounts, policy options, cost of choosing to pay by the month and government charges.

You can view how our premiums are calculated in detail via the Premium, Excess & Discount guide for Motor Insurance here - https://www.racv.com.au/content/dam/racv/documents/insurance/racv-motor-insurance/motor-insurance-ped-current.pdf

We would be happy to review your policy further and apply any applicable discounts.

To review your policy please call us on 13 RACV (13 7228) using option 5 from 7am-11pm daily and one of our Insurance consultants would be happy to help.

Should you require assistance with any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Eisa
RACV Social Media Consultant

Joy John W.asked

Car Insurance

How my caravan renewal notice was incorrectly over charged
Policy CVT576739 the amount charged was $1186.11
I have discount no claim $355.57
Multi policy discount. 142.23
Gold 20% discount. 256.01
Total amount of. $753.81 add this to amount ==$1939.92
I would like to assume these accounts are checked before sending out.

Elise E.RACV

Hi Joy, apologies about your incorrect renewal. To further discuss and make any changes, please call our Caravan Insurance department on 1300 133 845 Monday - Friday, 8am - 8pm Saturday - Sunday, 8am - 4pm. Warm regards, Nicole.

Joy John W.

Have other policies trust these are correct

Julie T

Julie Tasked

Car Insurance

Why is it everytime I do an online quote for RACV home and contents insurance lately a box appears saying I must give at least 1 owners details when I have already put in my own details as the owner???
Considering I am the 1 and only owner, I shouldn't be FORCED into clicking on a box to say there is a 2nd [non-existing owner] just to proceed to the next stage. Out of interest, when I did click on "another owner" [just to move ahead] the quote re-calculates at a higher premium than first one given.
I rang RACV today to rectify the issue and the girl just replied oh it shouldn't do that. When I offered to email the proof to her from my saved quote she wasn't even interested to see it.
Hence I suspect she knows and it's simply just another insurance ploy to raise prices to the dumb consumer.
Oh and btw I did email "care" but received a generic reply saying ring RACV [haha that got nowhere] and now no response whatsoever.
Are all insurance companies deceptive in their dealings?
I am thinking about contacting ACCC as quote does not allow for 1 single owner and quote figures change quite dramatically.
My membership is 4190443.

Get an answer from our members and RACV representatives