RACV Travel Insurance

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateOctober 2019

Mrs C.

Mrs C.Central Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Sold an invalid travel insurance policy

I am a gold RACV member and recently paid for a top level travel insurance policy in the local RACV store for my daughter travelling overseas on a school trip. A few days later, I called the RACV insurance hotline to confirm aspects of the policy only to be told it was invalid due to the fact that home stay accommodation constituted part of her trip. I was not informed of this whilst taking out and paying for the policy. Absolutely shameful that the RACV sells invalid policies to unsuspecting loyal customers. Never again.

Insurance Cover For:Teenager
Annie

AnnieGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Sorted out to everyone's satisfaction

I wanted travel insurance for 3 weeks to Kenya. I am visiting my mother and sister and basically will spend 3 weeks in one place in the countryside. The original quote was too high and the consultant found a better compromise.

DestinationAfrica
Vin Lever

Vin LeverMid North Coast, NSW

Easy to acquire but may get marketing stuff afterwards

Purchased travel insurance online for a couple (one a member of RACV) to go to SE Asia in August. Cost was $206.83 with a membership discount.
The insurer was actually Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd.
I did not need it but could have.
However on return RACV send me a card for some kind of discount buying - did not want this - not a member - bit of marketing add on going on here.

Insurance Cover For:Senior
DestinationSouth-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)

Matin

MatinGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

It's very poor service.

I have the biggest product before my holiday started. I have called them from airport i have stacked to ask them advise but they told me do what you think is better for you. Now they declined my claims. Ask to many docoment that I can't go back to my holiday destination to ask them. Take long time to review you claim and end of the day they try to decline the case and not pay. I don't recommend them at all.

DestinationEurope and Middle East
Insurance TypeMulti-Trip
Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property, Medical and Travel Delays/Cancellations
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

Johnno

JohnnoGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Car hire insurace rip off

Hire car insurance changed and doesnt cover multiple items eg windscreen, tyres & roof. Biggest rip off ever & a waste of time. This is not insuracne its revenue for no service.

Sharon D

Sharon DGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Too hard and expensive to extend policy when holiday was extended

The initial set up was all easy and a good experience. But when we extended our trip we were advised this couldn't be done online or via email, only via phone. Very inconvenient when overseas with expensive phone calls and in different timezones. Also the price quoted to me in the email from RACV for extending for 10 days was more expensive than starting a new policy with a different provider. Not much incentive for using RACV - too hard and too expensive!

DestinationSouth America

Rhonda Nicholson

Rhonda NicholsonGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

My advice, proceed with caution

Claim ApprovedYes
NaQ

NaQGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Thank you everyone who took time to write your experiences to help others

I was about to buy RACV international travel insurance (really about to click to buy it) and thought I should check some reviews. I think you have all saved me lots of pain if I need to make a claim, and made me think about cheaper isnt better! Thanks everyone, I'm going elsewhere!

Peter

PeterSouthwest, VIC

Insurance for goods prepaid but failure to supply. i.e. airfares, accommodation and transfers etc.

We were unaware of the lack of insurance cover or that no cover would be provided for any payments made prior to traveling, to a Travel agency for airfare, accommodation or transfers not provided when overseas

Type of ClaimTravel Delays/Cancellations

Agree 100% - Also The Worst Experience Of My Life

Lisa

LisaVictoria

Perfect customer service

I initially sourced a quote off the RACV website. I had a question to ask - Celeste was lovely to speak with and very helpful and completed my purchase. The cost is almost half what the travel agent handling our booking quoted - and we have a group booking of 98 for two weeks of travel.

DestinationNorth America (inc. Hawaii)
Neil Crozier

Neil CrozierGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Seem good value for money and covers the essentials

Yes good value for money.

Havent travelled yet.

Have had RACV travel Insurance on several occasions before and receive the 50 year membership discount.

It is easy to arrange a policy with RACV.

DestinationAustralia and East Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)
Claim MadeNo

Value policy. Hard to beat.

First time users. Policy was much cheaper than alternative offered by flight centre. List of inclusions covers all contingencies. Will be interesting to see service if we do happen to make a claim after our holidays

Insurance Cover For:Senior
DestinationSouth-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)

Not paid

Not paidVictoria

Made too difficult to claim.

The policy was easy to set up. However, I had to cancel due to ill health. The claim has never been paid out as the information that was required by RACV was very difficult to get, as my doctor did not think it was appropriate or necessary. In the end I have let the matter drop as it became too difficult.

Type of ClaimMedical
Claim DateMarch 2019

Kavs

KavsGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

No complaints

It was good value when compared to other quotes from travel agents.
I have only ever lodged one claim through sudden illness before travel, and it was settled with ease and in good time.
Racv insurance have been my go to travel insurance company for 25 years.

Insurance Cover For:Senior
DestinationNew Zealand and Pacific Islands (e.g. Fiji, Vanuatu)

Nina and Michael

Nina and MichaelGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE

Insurance TypeMulti-Trip
Type of ClaimMedical
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateSeptember 2019
Elise E.RACV

Disgusted with outcome of insurance cover

Spoke with RACV agent on getting travel insurance to cover damage to hire vehicle traveling across northern WA, as the car rental company was charging exorbitant daily rates. We paid the car hire company $6,000 bond for any damage, which was the purpose of the insurance I took out - to insure against any deductions from this bond. Minor damage to bumper ($1,100) - but RACV insurer says the claim must be against an 'excess', not the 'bond' and refuses to payout. Very disappointed.

Tim M.

Tim M.asked

Does the total travel care policy cover repatriation. As we have been informed that we may not be allowed off the boat in New Caledonia if we do not hold international travel insurance that covers medical costs and repatriation. We have taken this policy out and now are thinking its not the right one.

John Gallagher
John Gallagher

Racv will tell you to read their PDS ( product disclosure statement ) unfortunately I was ignorant of this and realised after reading their PDS it is heavily loaded in RACV’s favour.

RACV Care T.RACV

Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting in contact regarding the coverage of your Travel Insurance Policy.

RACV is pleased to advise that we cover for Overseas Medical, Hospital, Cash in Hospital, Dental and Related Expenses. Our medical cover also assists you to find treatment and if necessary, medical evacuation and/or repatriation.

If you are hospitalised, you, or a member of your travelling party, must contact Us as soon as possible. The team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are not hospitalised but are being treated as an outpatient and the total cost of any treatment exceeds $2,000, you must contact us as soon as possible as we will not
pay for any expenses that have not been approved by us.

If you have an overseas emergency, contact our assistance team immediately, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on
(02) 8055 1699. For more information please refer to Page 2 and 19 via this link: https://www.racv.com.au/content/dam/racv/documents/insurance/racv-travel-insurance/travel-insurance-fsg-pds.pdf.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Janice
Social Media Consultant

nbmoller
nbmoller

RACV make denials of claim up, Id suggest that you read a number of the one star responses , I have seen them deny travel delay claim because "Mechanical failure " is not covered , total rubbish , Ive seen a travel inconvenience claim denied because the traveller had their drivers Lisc stolen and the car hire company would not allow the car to be hired that with out a Drivers Lisc , claiming a drivers Lisc is not a required document - Just Rubbish

xian ren

xian renasked

How do I buy full health insurance?

Elise E.RACV

Hi Xian, RACV do not currently provide health insurance. If you are referring to coverage for overseas medical and hospital cover you can find out more and obtain a quote here: https://bit.ly/2JhvJav

Dominique

Dominiqueasked

Hi, I’m a student doing an assessment for Commerce and I would like to know what RACV covers and at what prices. I’m 'going' on a safari trip in Africa (Morocco) for 9 days. What insurance would be available and at what price?

Aaron F.RACV

Hi Dominique, Thank you for getting in contact regarding a quote on Travel Insurance for your upcoming trip to Africa (Morocco). We are unable to complete this via a Product Review as during the quote process you will be asked a number of questions that are specific to your insurance requirements. It’s important that these questions are answered correctly so that the product being offered meets your identified requirements. Please call us on 13 13 29 from 9am to 6pm or you can visit any RACV Shop. Kind regards, Janice

Get an answer from our members and RACV representatives