RACV Travel Insurance

• Claim Resolution Time3+ months (11), 1-2 months (10), 2-4 weeks (9), 1-2 weeks (6) and <1 week (4)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (19) · No (26)
Marian D.

Marian D.Victoria

Excellent customer service

Due to Covid restrictions we were unable to make our international travel dreams for 2020 come true. RACV insurance was excellent when contacted to discuss the cancellation/refund of policy. Attended to immediately, full 100% refund and transferred to credit card from which the original payment was made. Thank you for your professionalism.

Sue

Hard to claim

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateMay 2020
RACV S.RACV

Hi BD, we’re sorry to hear that RACV Travel Insurance did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback. We will contact you via private message to discuss this further and investigate.

Warm regards, Nicole - Social Media Consultant.

William Bussau

William BussauGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

RACV refund policy re Covid

This is the first time I have used RACV travel insurance and was very happy with service with only complaint was I had to ask for it. e were unable to take our trip to the US due to Covid restrictions. Customer service was very helpful with full refund offered

RACV S.RACV

Hi William. We are happy to hear that we were there for you and we look forward to being there for you on your next trip. Kind Regards, Robert - Social Media Consultant.

Total travel policy

Have always used RACV travel insurance.
Initially they said no full refund for my insurance policy but staff spoke to underwriter who confirmed it will be a full refund. Good to have support from RACV during this time and to keep long term consumers happy. What people expect when paying above average cost for insurance. Please note this is not a insurance claim but a policy refund.

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)
l4dyh4wk

l4dyh4wkGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

A1 Customer Service

Due to the international COVID situation our entire trip was cancelled and refunded by the airlines. RACV cheerfully and efficiently responded to my request for a refund of our insurance policy.

Insurance Cover ForAdult and Child
RACV S.RACV

The policy was easy to raise and the staff were helpful

I am particularly thankful to RACV refunding my two travel insurance policies because of COVID 19.
A special thanks goes to Eleonora who completely understood my situation and continued to track the refund for me. Many thanks Eleonora.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Type of ClaimOther
Claim DateMay 2020

PkDCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Totally fantastic- a full refund

Our travel plans totally aborted due to travel restrictions related to COVID 19. Fortunately, pre-paid deposits etc were refunded. Delighted to find that RACV also prepared to refund our premium - thank you- always our first choice when purchasing travel insurance at home & abroad for more than 20 years. Well done again RACV!.

PkD

By all means- very happy for you to share/use my comments

jaymu

jaymuNortheast, VIC

Good travel insurance

Our hire care in lake Como Italy was broken into and all our luggage was stolen! Racv were very good once we got home. Provided the police statement and had to list everything stolen item including presents we bought there and then provide receipts for the clothing etc. I used bank statements for non paper receipts ..Any clothing without receipts we couldn’t produce they refunded 50% to us ! I posted receipts as I did not know how to download them .This took a month but very happy with RACV ... our daughter took out basic care which was only $2500 cover and she lost a lot more than that! Go for the larger amount . We had $7500 cover and received over $3000 back

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Claim DateNovember 2019

David

DavidGippsland, VIC

RACV Travel Insurance really puts the traveller first.

Setting up the policy is easy considering both my wife have ongoing medical issues. We have not lodged a claim as, due to covid-19, we are unable to travel in the foreseeable future and the insurance premium cost has kindly been refunded. We have used RACV Travel Insurance several times since coming to live in Victoria and have needed to claim previously. The claim was handled extremely well and settled very quickly.

DestinationNew Zealand
Joanne

Joanne

Fantastic response

Have always used RACV for our travel insurance and as covid hit insurance was the last thing I thought about when cancelling trip but even though I emailed them 3 months after the trip was due they still gave me a substancial refund which I thought was fair, will use them again when the world returns to normal

Insurance Cover ForAdult and Senior
Sharyn

SharynWimmera, VIC

I am surprised and happy.

Due to the Virus, closed borders and no international flights, I am unable to travel in October. Christina made it very easy going through the process of cancelling my insurance, and receiving a refund. I will definitely be using RACV insurance in the future.

Sue

SueNortheast, VIC

Amazing service

As my policy was bought after covid affected policies, they gave me a full refund, very good service. Customer Service was prompt and extremely helpful giving me my options. We find racv goid value as we have a few existing medical conditions.

Insurance Cover ForAdult and Senior
Kamal Daruwalla

Kamal DaruwallaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Absolutely heartless organisation.

After 2 internal reviews, RACV is still singing the same tune and hiding behind technical jargon to weasel out of their responsibilities. My husband took out a similar policy with Woolworths Insurance and they, in spite of having a 'pandemic clause', have paid his claim after initially refusing it. I will be cancelling ALL my insurances with RACV and going with a company with more compassion and understanding.

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)
RACV S.RACV

Hi Kamal, we’re sorry to hear that RACV Insurance did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback. We will contact you via private message to discuss this further and investigate.

Kind Regards, Matilda - Social Media Consultant.

Bruce

BruceSouthwest, VIC

Excellent customer service feedback

We actually haven't travelled yet but I simply wanted to provide feedback on the excellent customer service that I received from one of your travel insurance consultants, Vandana Parmar. She responded promptly to my emails on Sunday the 9th of August and was then great to talk to on the phone on the following Monday to discuss options for our travel plans and travel insurance needs for 2021.

Due to Covid19 trip Cancelled

Travel insurance for my trip to Norfolk Island was taken in February 2020 but due to corona virus was cancelled in July. Deposit of $500.00. was fully refunded as was RACV policy. Travel insurance with
your Company has been taken on 6-8 occasions

DestinationAustralia, New Zealand and Pacific Islands (e.g. Fiji, Vanuatu)
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateJuly 2020
RACV S.RACV

Very happy with my service

Happy with my policy
Have had travel insurance with RACV approx 12 times over the years
Have always found them excellent value
Staff are always helpful in organising my ins
Very happy customer

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Type of ClaimOther
John

JohnGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

The trip was cancelled very close to departure. RACV have kindly offered to refund the costs of insurance as I experienced no out of pocket expenses. Thank you very much.

DestinationPacific Islands (e.g. Fiji, Vanuatu)
Kir

Kir

Awful- would never buy travel insurance from them again

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJune 2020
Patricia M.

Patricia M.Southwest, VIC

adjustment caused by flight cancelations.

Service staff(Celeste) dealt with our query caused by covid related travel adjustments expertly. Help us greatly thank you. Our flights to Ireland and England have been cancelled and we were not sure of our options relating to insurance.

Tim M.

Tim M.asked

Travel Insurance

Does the total travel care policy cover repatriation. As we have been informed that we may not be allowed off the boat in New Caledonia if we do not hold international travel insurance that covers medical costs and repatriation. We have taken this policy out and now are thinking its not the right one.

John Gallagher
John Gallagher

Racv will tell you to read their PDS ( product disclosure statement ) unfortunately I was ignorant of this and realised after reading their PDS it is heavily loaded in RACV’s favour.

RACV Care T.RACV

Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting in contact regarding the coverage of your Travel Insurance Policy.

RACV is pleased to advise that we cover for Overseas Medical, Hospital, Cash in Hospital, Dental and Related Expenses. Our medical cover also assists you to find treatment and if necessary, medical evacuation and/or repatriation.

If you are hospitalised, you, or a member of your travelling party, must contact Us as soon as possible. The team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are not hospitalised but are being treated as an outpatient and the total cost of any treatment exceeds $2,000, you must contact us as soon as possible as we will not
pay for any expenses that have not been approved by us.

If you have an overseas emergency, contact our assistance team immediately, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on
(02) 8055 1699. For more information please refer to Page 2 and 19 via this link: https://www.racv.com.au/content/dam/racv/documents/insurance/racv-travel-insurance/travel-insurance-fsg-pds.pdf.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Janice
Social Media Consultant

nbmoller
nbmoller

RACV make denials of claim up, Id suggest that you read a number of the one star responses , I have seen them deny travel delay claim because "Mechanical failure " is not covered , total rubbish , Ive seen a travel inconvenience claim denied because the traveller had their drivers Lisc stolen and the car hire company would not allow the car to be hired that with out a Drivers Lisc , claiming a drivers Lisc is not a required document - Just Rubbish

xian ren

xian renasked

Travel Insurance

How do I buy full health insurance?

RACV S.RACV

Hi Xian, RACV do not currently provide health insurance. If you are referring to coverage for overseas medical and hospital cover you can find out more and obtain a quote here: https://bit.ly/2JhvJav

Dominique

Dominiqueasked

Travel Insurance

Hi, I’m a student doing an assessment for Commerce and I would like to know what RACV covers and at what prices. I’m 'going' on a safari trip in Africa (Morocco) for 9 days. What insurance would be available and at what price?

Aaron F.RACV

Hi Dominique, Thank you for getting in contact regarding a quote on Travel Insurance for your upcoming trip to Africa (Morocco). We are unable to complete this via a Product Review as during the quote process you will be asked a number of questions that are specific to your insurance requirements. It’s important that these questions are answered correctly so that the product being offered meets your identified requirements. Please call us on 13 13 29 from 9am to 6pm or you can visit any RACV Shop. Kind regards, Janice

Get an answer from our members and RACV representatives

Compare all 5 RACV Travel Insurance
CategoryTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel Insurance
UnderwriterTokio Marine & Nichido Fire InsuranceTokio Marine & Nichido Fire InsuranceTokio Marine & Nichido Fire InsuranceTokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance
Maximum Age Covered 110 years old110 years old110 years old110 years old
Medical Coverage
Overseas Emergency Assistance $25,000UnlimitedUnlimited$5,000
Accidental Death$15,000$25,000$25,000Not Included
Emergency Dental$2,000UnlimitedUnlimited$500
Pregnancy (max weeks) 26 weeks26 weeks26 weeks26 weeks
Resumption of Journey $1,500$5,000$5,000Not Included
Hospital Cash Allowance$3,500$6,000$6,000$1,500
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimited
Loss of Income$5,200$10,400$10,400Not Included
Permanent Disability$15,000$25,000$25,000Not Included
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash $250$500$500Not Included
Delayed Luggage $500$750$750Not Included
Credit Card Fraud$1,500 as part of Travel Documents cover$5,000 as part of Travel Documents cover$5,000 as part of Travel Documents coverNot Included
Travel Documents / Passport $1,500$5,000$5,000Not Included
Maximum Single Item Limit $1,500 (Laptops, Cameras or Golf Clubs)$3,000 (Laptops, Cameras or Golf Clubs)$3,000 (Laptops, Cameras or Golf Clubs)$750 (Laptops, Cameras or Golf Clubs)
Luggage & Personal Effects $7,500$15,000$15,000$2,000
Ancillary
Personal Liability A$10,000,000A$10,000,000A$10,000,000A$10,000,000
Rental Vehicle Excess $4,000$8,000$8,000Not Included
Motorbike / Moped Coverage Included for any sizeIncluded for any sizeIncluded for any sizeIncluded for any size
Domestic Pet Care Not Included$650$650Not Included