RACV Travel Insurance

Watergardens RACV so glad store has reopened

3rd time using RACV when travelling, policy clearly explained by Mel and matched to our travel plans. Policy cost signifiantly less than what was quoted by our travel agent. Customer focused service

TigerlilySouthwest, VIC

Exceptional Service -could not recommend more highly!

My parents, husband and myself have used RACV Travel insurance before, but have never needed to claim on it. It is very easy to take out and very reasonably priced in comparison with other companies. Unfortunately in this instance my Father passed away 2 weeks before we were due to go on a cruise together. The documentation was very easy to fill out and there was some simple communication to and fro so that they could get the required documents. We were all fully covered and refunded in a very timely manner.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Tigerlily

Dear Janice, More than happy for you to do that..please let me know exactly where/how I get that info to you....

Great service in Warragul - than you!

Thank you for your professional, friendly service - much appreciated.
I haven’t travelled as yet but am confident that my insurance needs are well-met. Thank you to the staff in regional Warragul.

Elise E.RACV

Hi, Thank you for such fantastic feedback. We are glad that we are able to assist you with you travel needs. Thanks again and we look forward to being there for you on your next trip. Kind regards, Janice, Social Media Consultant

Sue S.

Sue S.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Very simple and fast

Good price for the policy and very very easy to fill out the pre existing medical conditions and we were very happy with the price as we also got Racv member discount.(online the price was shown instantly so no waiting for it) -haven’t had a claim and hope not to ever need to, so can’t comment on that . I do have trust in RACV so happy to insure with them.

DestinationSouth-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)

Peta

PetaSouthwest, VIC

Extremely Disappointed - be wary of RACV Travel Insurance because insurance is through Tokio Marine - woeful!

I would not recommend this policy. On this trip I decided to change to RACV after using Travel Insurance Direct on other occasions due to a review rating by Choice.
Never again.
Our flight was delayed due to technical issues and I missed a tour and transfers which I have been informed is not covered by RACV.
If I had stayed with TID this travel delay claim would have been paid -
This is what TID cover for Travel Delay
Cover if your pre-paid scheduled transport is delayed, rescheduled or cancelled for reasons outside your control (including the airline delaying your flight for mechanical reasons) for reasonable additional meals and accommodation; and your unusable pre-paid travel arrangements.

Type of ClaimTravel Delays/Cancellations
Claim DateOctober 2019
Elise E.RACV

Hi Peta, we’re sorry to hear that RACV Insurance did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback. We will contact you via private message to discuss this further and investigate.

Warm regards, Randall - Social Media Consultant.

Dalmor

DalmorGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great , until you need it

Had to cancel fully insured trip to England due to the death of my mother .Same experience as Sannordav , 8 months later offered $550 , too exhausted by the process to take it further , to top it off got a flat tyre during this process, said they couldnt change it as we were on a main road

Type of ClaimMedical
Claim DateMarch 2019
Elise E.RACV

Hi , were sorry to hear that RACV Insurance did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback. We will contact you via private message to discuss this further and investigate.

Warm regards, Nicole - Social Media Consultant.

BarryPerth, WA

Holier than thow?

Good premium value provided I "self-insure" for a condition not recognised by the Underwriter.
Used RACV (not the current Underwriter) at least 6 times over the last 50 years of membership.

Barry

Customer Service operator vague (or guarded?) about the effect of pre-existings and the Client not accepting an increased premium.

Elise E.RACV

Hi Barry, we appreciate your feedback. We will contact you via private message to discuss this further.

Warm regards, Nicole - Social Media Consultant.

Waste

WasteGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Refused claim for damaged laptop

My laptop was damaged during a cruise. I have no idea how. They refused to pay given the laptop left my possession, being when I had to give my luggage to the cruise ship staff upon boarding. No choice but to do this, but that's what they used to get out of paying my claim. After making me get a non refundable quote of $95 for assessing the damage.

Type of ClaimOther
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Elise E.RACV

Hi Waste, were sorry to hear that RACV Insurance did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback. We will contact you via private message to discuss this further and investigate.

Warm regards, Robert - Social Media Consultant.

SannordavGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Be way of RACV Travel Insurance because insurance is through Tokio Marine - woeful!

Type of ClaimMedical
Sannordav

Sorry, should have proof read! Heading should begin BEWARE!

Elise E.RACV

Warm regards, Robert - Social Media Consultant.

Dennis M

Dennis MSouth East Queensland, QLD

Realistic Cost and Prompt Service

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea), Europe, New Zealand and Pacific Islands (e.g. Fiji, Vanuatu)
Insurance Cover For:Adult and Senior
Elise E.RACV

Hi . Thanks for providing your details. We have passed your feedback onto our Member Relations department.

Warm regards, Randall - Social Media Consultant.

Cath Farrell

Cath FarrellSouthwest, VIC

So very disappointing

Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property and Travel Delays/Cancellations
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateOctober 2019

Mrs C.

Mrs C.Central Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Sold an invalid travel insurance policy

I am a gold RACV member and recently paid for a top level travel insurance policy in the local RACV store for my daughter travelling overseas on a school trip. A few days later, I called the RACV insurance hotline to confirm aspects of the policy only to be told it was invalid due to the fact that home stay accommodation constituted part of her trip. I was not informed of this whilst taking out and paying for the policy. Absolutely shameful that the RACV sells invalid policies to unsuspecting loyal customers. Never again.

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)
Insurance Cover For:Teenager

Annie

AnnieGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Sorted out to everyone's satisfaction

I wanted travel insurance for 3 weeks to Kenya. I am visiting my mother and sister and basically will spend 3 weeks in one place in the countryside. The original quote was too high and the consultant found a better compromise.

DestinationAfrica

Vin Lever

Vin LeverMid North Coast, NSW

Easy to acquire but may get marketing stuff afterwards

Purchased travel insurance online for a couple (one a member of RACV) to go to SE Asia in August. Cost was $206.83 with a membership discount.
The insurer was actually Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd.
I did not need it but could have.
However on return RACV send me a card for some kind of discount buying - did not want this - not a member - bit of marketing add on going on here.

DestinationSouth-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
Matin

MatinGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

It's very poor service.

I have the biggest product before my holiday started. I have called them from airport i have stacked to ask them advise but they told me do what you think is better for you. Now they declined my claims. Ask to many docoment that I can't go back to my holiday destination to ask them. Take long time to review you claim and end of the day they try to decline the case and not pay. I don't recommend them at all.

DestinationEurope and Middle East
Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property, Medical and Travel Delays/Cancellations
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

Johnno

JohnnoGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Car hire insurace rip off

Hire car insurance changed and doesnt cover multiple items eg windscreen, tyres & roof. Biggest rip off ever & a waste of time. This is not insuracne its revenue for no service.

Sharon D

Sharon DGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Too hard and expensive to extend policy when holiday was extended

The initial set up was all easy and a good experience. But when we extended our trip we were advised this couldn't be done online or via email, only via phone. Very inconvenient when overseas with expensive phone calls and in different timezones. Also the price quoted to me in the email from RACV for extending for 10 days was more expensive than starting a new policy with a different provider. Not much incentive for using RACV - too hard and too expensive!

DestinationSouth America

Rhonda Nicholson

Rhonda NicholsonGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

My advice, proceed with caution

NaQ

NaQGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Thank you everyone who took time to write your experiences to help others

I was about to buy RACV international travel insurance (really about to click to buy it) and thought I should check some reviews. I think you have all saved me lots of pain if I need to make a claim, and made me think about cheaper isnt better! Thanks everyone, I'm going elsewhere!

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)

Peter

PeterSouthwest, VIC

Insurance for goods prepaid but failure to supply. i.e. airfares, accommodation and transfers etc.

We were unaware of the lack of insurance cover or that no cover would be provided for any payments made prior to traveling, to a Travel agency for airfare, accommodation or transfers not provided when overseas

Type of ClaimTravel Delays/Cancellations
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateSeptember 2019

Tim M.

Tim M.asked

Does the total travel care policy cover repatriation. As we have been informed that we may not be allowed off the boat in New Caledonia if we do not hold international travel insurance that covers medical costs and repatriation. We have taken this policy out and now are thinking its not the right one.

John Gallagher
John Gallagher

Racv will tell you to read their PDS ( product disclosure statement ) unfortunately I was ignorant of this and realised after reading their PDS it is heavily loaded in RACV’s favour.

RACV Care T.RACV

Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting in contact regarding the coverage of your Travel Insurance Policy.

RACV is pleased to advise that we cover for Overseas Medical, Hospital, Cash in Hospital, Dental and Related Expenses. Our medical cover also assists you to find treatment and if necessary, medical evacuation and/or repatriation.

If you are hospitalised, you, or a member of your travelling party, must contact Us as soon as possible. The team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are not hospitalised but are being treated as an outpatient and the total cost of any treatment exceeds $2,000, you must contact us as soon as possible as we will not
pay for any expenses that have not been approved by us.

If you have an overseas emergency, contact our assistance team immediately, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on
(02) 8055 1699. For more information please refer to Page 2 and 19 via this link: https://www.racv.com.au/content/dam/racv/documents/insurance/racv-travel-insurance/travel-insurance-fsg-pds.pdf.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Janice
Social Media Consultant

nbmoller
nbmoller

RACV make denials of claim up, Id suggest that you read a number of the one star responses , I have seen them deny travel delay claim because "Mechanical failure " is not covered , total rubbish , Ive seen a travel inconvenience claim denied because the traveller had their drivers Lisc stolen and the car hire company would not allow the car to be hired that with out a Drivers Lisc , claiming a drivers Lisc is not a required document - Just Rubbish

xian ren

xian renasked

How do I buy full health insurance?

Elise E.RACV

Hi Xian, RACV do not currently provide health insurance. If you are referring to coverage for overseas medical and hospital cover you can find out more and obtain a quote here: https://bit.ly/2JhvJav

Dominique

Dominiqueasked

Hi, I’m a student doing an assessment for Commerce and I would like to know what RACV covers and at what prices. I’m 'going' on a safari trip in Africa (Morocco) for 9 days. What insurance would be available and at what price?

Aaron F.RACV

Hi Dominique, Thank you for getting in contact regarding a quote on Travel Insurance for your upcoming trip to Africa (Morocco). We are unable to complete this via a Product Review as during the quote process you will be asked a number of questions that are specific to your insurance requirements. It’s important that these questions are answered correctly so that the product being offered meets your identified requirements. Please call us on 13 13 29 from 9am to 6pm or you can visit any RACV Shop. Kind regards, Janice

Get an answer from our members and RACV representatives

Download manual