Red Energy

Red Energy

See the Best Energy Providers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Approved but declined at the same time?

So, I was approved for power and then the day that it was meant to get connected they sent me a text saying that they needed my ID before I would get connected, mind you I had already provided it! Then, when I called to cancel the connection, they tried to stop me from doing it even though I had done everything they had asked of me, including sending my ID basically they said they where not wanting to cancel cause now I have been approved again! Needless to say, I left and went with a different provider who was more reliable!

ServicesElectricity

BEWARE: Scam door to door sales tactics w hidden opt out “contract”

This MUST be illegal??

I recently had a visit from a Red Energy door to door salesperson where they tried to eMail me sample savings from using Red Energy that was really an opt out contract for electricity supply, very sneaky. If I had of done nothing, they would have switched me across to them!!!!!!

The Details:
After kindly showing how Red Energy would result in a lower energy bill, the salesperson asked for my eMail address so she could send the details of her calculations of savings. But then she casually mentioned that if I didn’t want to proceed with using Red Energy, the it would I have the courtesy to call them to inform Red Energy of that within 10 days.

HMMM! Why tell them that I don’t wish to proceed with Red Energy when I haven’t agreed to anything? So I asked

“Does providing my eMail address to you so I can receive your calculations of savings mean that you believe I agree to proceed with Red Energy”

She answered “No you haven’t agreed to use Red Energy now, but call us within 10 days if you don’t wish to proceed”. I asked this question 2 more times in different ways and then eventually she admitted that

“by providing my eMail address, Red Energy believe that I have entered into a supply contract with them’.

NO WAY! So I refused to do that so she then proceeded to hand write some information and a quote that she claimed put me under no obligation. I also realised, too late, that when I stupidly showed them my previous electricity account, she copied down my NMI (metre number) from my electricity bill. They also kept asking for my birthdate which I refused to provide. The conversation was quite polite, but it appears to me that it is aimed at getting enough information from you to “justify” that you have agreed to change supplier. Thank goodness I stopped before it was too late.

But to be sure, I then felt that I had to ensure that Red Energy were under no illusions that I had in any way agreed to switch to them as my supplier; that took a couple of strongly worded (legalistic) eMails stating that. I eventually got an eMailed response from Red Energy to my satisfaction (hopefully this will be the end of this terrible event).

BEWARE…. Do not provide Red Energy salespeople any information.

ServicesElectricity

They apply Pay-OT discount to the entire bill

Unlike other service providers I'm aware of, RE's pay on time discount is applied to the entire bill. Other service providers give you a discount but it does not apply to the daily service delivery charge which is the greater component of the bill.
With my research, their rates seem low.
Always go through a referral, then both you and your referrer gets a $50 gift card each.
Ease of mind not having to undergo a contract.
Their discount vendor coupons are ones that are actually useful that you

Customer service is ok, but always ask for a confirmation and tell them to put in notes any agreements they make. Once, I was told there there would not be a connection fee as the resident Im moving into had the connection, but later it was charged. When asked about it they said they went through the phone conversation history and they did not mention it. So be more vigilant than me.
Other than that occasion the customer service is good.

I used to have gas and electricity, since moving I now have only electricity with RE.

Not happy

Absolutely do not sign with this company. If you change your mind before the 10 day cooling off period, they just ignore you. After numerous calls, they still have ignored us, and on top of that got a bill for $112 for 21 days. Rip off!!!

ServicesElectricity and Gas

Red energy rips of societies most vulnerable.

Red energy charges extra to those who struggle to pay on time. Most of these people are on benefits such as disability support. The word it that those who pay on time get a discounted rates but that is just playing with words to cover the fact that they sting vulnerable customers who cannot always pay on time due to when the pensions are paid, and those who need to get assistance from charities such as Vinnies to pay the bills. This company is a disgrace and I appeal to all Australians to choose anoth power provider. All the bills I have received fro red energy gives me a very short time frame to pay the bill, usually witching 7 - 10 days after receiving the bills which is impossible when you are on a pension.

conned

I made the mistake of believing what the salesman told me - which did sound like a con - that I would get a 17% lower bill. Walked into that con. Then they sent me a letter saying it is going even higher just after the election. These sort of tricksters waste your time and rip you off. Stay away from their false promises. They don't have a low rating for nothing

My account setup

Totally useless can't setup my account will not let me enter my full customer number. So can't go any further, only just joined, they want to be worth switching over to or I'll be back to energy australia in a flash.

1 week with RED and this is not looking good

Switched over our gas/electricity. The day we switched we had no hot water in the evening...then again and again, same thing, no hot water for evening showers - we had not had issues before the switch. I call them up and they tell me our plan had changed. Not sure why so I ask for it to go back to what it was with my old provider. The guy tells me there MIGHT be a fee...goes away to talk to someone...comes back, no there is no fee but it may take 5 days to have this changed over. Not happy with this but that's just the way it is. Next day he calls me back...sorry, there was a fee involved...it's $269.83 to have it changed so we can have hot water at night. He asked would I like to go ahead....of course I said NO...please have someone from your management call me back ASAP. In the meantime I am now looking to leave...what a joke!

Doesn’t add up

We were receiving bills between 3-400, we have a 6kw solar setup as well that is only a year old, suddenly we get a nearly $600 bill due to a big increase in energy use, the solar reading is still apparently active according to the bill, I queried it with the customer care person who was very vague in giving answers & quite repetitive, but not actually answering my questions about why it was $200 more than usual and we’ve never used this much before. So we paid it and I changed companies, the weird thing is the new read that came through to the new company shows our solar is not putting anything out at all, so somehow our red bill was showing a solar read where there was none but still charging full peak use rate, we had no idea our solar was out until now. That would explain why our bill jumped up to $200. But why would it display a solar rebate if it wasn’t even active?

ServicesElectricity and Solar Buy-Back

Have been perfectly happy over the past 6 years

I have gas and electricity at 2 properties with Red. I have never had a negative experience or bad encounter with them. In both instances I changed the properties over without any problems at all. I analysed the rates and found them to be competitive - I also like the discount book and pay on-time to get the 10% discount. The staff on customer service are polite and responsive and I like their friendly caring approach to customers. I was quite shocked to read so many negative reviews here and so wish to balance them with what has been a genuinely positive experience over a very long time period.

Meter Exchange that is 2 months overdue

Unable to get a meter exchange for 2-3 months. Dozens of promised contacts not returned. Still not done. I have said I will switch to another provider and that hasnt helped/ A bit of a disaster. I cannot recommend.

New Connections service is dismal

After two very difficult experiences at trying to get connection of gas services with Red Energy I can only say that I must find another provider. I am a registered builder who has used Red Energy for many many years. They seem to have fluked good service in the past but for the past two years have been very difficult to work with.

ServicesGas

Bye Bye Red Energy - Far from happy about their rates and the people I spoke to

I have been a very faithful customer with Red Energy for several years.
I have 3 electricity accounts and 3 gas accounts. All are domestic properties.
My last two domestic electricity accounts just keep getting higher and higher. Well over $1,000 for electricity.
After making one phone call I have found a cheaper supplier with no contracts.
Red Energy were not interested in keeping me as a customer so I will swap tomorrow.
Just one phone call is all it takes.
By the way both Red Energy and my new supplier have given me a promise there are no exit fees and there are no fees to connect my six accounts to the new supplier.

Scum and Scam

Still trying to cancel this service. Our current energy provider constantly received requests to switch. Acting within our cooling off period to cancel, we are still battling to get them to cease their activity. My wife was abused by a customer service representative as he tried to retain the business in an aggressive manner.

Deceptive Behaviour - Backdated a Rate Increase

Have been with Red Energy around 4 years now. Received a letter dated the 16th of April 2019 to advise me that there had been a change to my rates effective from 07 January 2019. Didn't realise it was legal to backdate a rate increase! Spoke with a Red Energy rep who confirmed that there had been no communication sent to me prior to the rate increase but offered no suitable compensation. Extremely disappointed with this kind of deceptive behaviour, Red Energy has lost me as a customer.

Don’t be fooled!

We have been with Red for 2 years (April 2017). Before first bill arrived (and we were overseas for 6 weeks) received a letter stating that the charges were increasing! I rang them furious as we hadn’t even received our first bill! They apologised and offered us 12% pay on time discount (instead of the standard 10%). Woo hoo but I stayed with them and still kept receiving ‘exorbitant’ bills. Two weeks ago received a letter advising of increased charges. Twice in two years! Goodbye Red... nice knowing ya!

Life Support Form not received.New

New customer, received all relevant material.Filled and posted Life Support Form duly signed by my GP, which Red Energy claim they did not receive and so I cannot get my rightful discount.
Asked to fill and submit another form and am waiting to receive the same. Am wanting to have my rebate back dated on my last bill.
Will keep the community posted on the development of my case.

Dis-organised company

I have been with red energy for 2 years and lived in 2 properties. My 1st bill I received was for my 3 bedroom townhouse for $1500, no pool, limited air con use and we were away overseas for 1 month of the 3. When complaining they were reluctant to investigate further, so I had to contact energex to check the meter reading, which was eventually corrected. New bill was around $300.
I have just moved to a new house and submitted by connect request on 2nd April, so the power would be connected on 18th April. When collecting the keys on 18th April, there was no power. When I called they advised the connection had been cancelled.. I was furious! Being the easter long weekend the next time it could be connected would be today 23rd April. 5 days with no power... they offered $200 a night reimbursement at a hotel (over easter) which I rejected. Today energex connected the power and I have no requested a switch to another provider. (Exercising my cooling off period clause).

Disgraceful

When I used red, I never received any bills and then eventually I get a bill for over $2000 with payment due in a few weeks. Call to talk to someone. Unhelpful and do not care.
So in order to resolve my issue it had to get sorted out through the Ombudsman. If you have problems with them I say call the ombudsman and lodge a complaint.

ServicesElectricity

27% electricity rate increases!

Today I received a letter from Red Energy stating that my electricity charges would increase in one week by:
Daily service charge: 8%