Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If you're a pet owner, you probably agree there’s nothing worse than your dog or cat getting sick or hurt. But what happens when vet bills are sky high? Pet insurance can grant you peace of mind, helping your pet get the treatment they deserve, without sending you broke.

Read now

3,473 reviews
    4.2 (2,394)
    4.4 (2,195)
    4.4 (2,395)

Julia

JuliaCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Generally good coverage with a simple claims process.

The online claim process is fairly simple and efficient although we do have to repeat the same information each time for pet history which can be a little frustrating. We have all 7 of our pets insured and find it to be good value for the coverage offered.

Number of Pets7 pets
Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog

Very fast process

I've used the RSPCA insurance as long as I can remember. My dog is 9 years old now. Covers the basics. Claiming online is easy and processed very fast. Definitely recommended.

Ross

RossGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Excellent customer service

Amazing customer service and genuine conversations. I don’t usually like sales calls but the manner of my representative was what kept me on the call and made me purchase my insurance.

Kylie

KylieSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great customer service

Called last week and Just joined Today, happy to have my puppy covered. Policy seems to be good value. Simple to set up with the helpful staff member, I think her name was Rebecca.

Jkk

JkkSydney, NSW

Trying to sign up is woeful

After receiving multiple emails and being unable to ‘sign up’ I was advised by phone that they did not have my email address to complete my registration.
Website also doesn’t work on safari and there is no app so no good for Apple users.
Took 4 days, 6 emails, 3 SMS & 1 phone call to sign up.

Mark

MarkDarling Downs, QLD

The benefits of Pet Insurance for pups who like to chew...

our dog chews everything and had swallowed too much of what was being chewed...socks, plastic etc etc
And she was unable to get this to clear.
Claim was lodged through our vet and too about a month to settle.
Policy was relatively easy to organise and we have had the policy for around 12 months

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Jody

JodyGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Taking out pet cover

The representatives that I have dealt with were both Really helpful and informative information and right amount of detail.
Explained the policies really well and gave more than one option.

Dorie

DorieMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Perfect choice of cover for our pet.

Excellent choice for us easy to do over the internet straight forward question. Claim was fast within a week money was in my bank. Only had our cover not long ago.

Eva

EvaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

So happy with this health insurance. So comforting knowing we are covered during unexpected times.

My puppy ate a little bit of a birds of paradise flower. We looked up and noticed that the tree is toxic to dogs. We weren't sure how much he had so we were cautious and took him to the vet who kept him for an hour. We were reimbursed 80% of the total vet bill.

Helen

HelenPerth, WA

Very helpful and efficient

I was given information for the questions that I was asking about pet insurance. A very friendly, courteous, well mannered and efficient lady I spoke with - her name was Preanka.

Alexander

AlexanderSydney, NSW

So very happy with all RSPAC

I’ve been with RSPCA for a long time. It’s been so easy to make a clam and Receive my refund a lot faster than I would think. I found the claims process so easy and very simple would highly recommend RSPCA to anyone with pets as it is being an absolute godsend with the claim process and I get most of what I get paid back

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Tiani

TianiSouth East Queensland, QLD

Such an easy process

So easy to set up and affordable. I had to make a claim and the process was so easy and was paid out with in a week. I have been with rspca for 3 months and am so glad I took the cover.

Hi Tiani,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am delighted to hear of the great service that you have received from our team and of the ease in which you were able to set up your policy.

Verity

VerityGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Required as past experience with other dogs/pets

Policy is good value , easy set up
Claims are sent thru from Vets & processed in good time
Been with this insurance 18months after we got our Boxer , previous experience with other dogs/pets has shown how it's required even if it's only once thru out the life of a pet

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Hi Verity,
It's wonderful to hear of the value that you have found in your policy and that your claims have been processed quickly. Thank you for taking the time to share your great review with us, we really appreciate it.
Alisa

gives peace of mind

Setting up the insurance was straight forward and user friendly. Having this insurance provides peace of mind and knowing that vet bills don't have to be overwhelmingly expensive or even out of reach.

TinaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Wonderful service she was helpful and made me feel at ease as this is the 1st pet I have owned.

Good value and the consultant explained everything to me clearly, it was easy to set up. She had a smile that made me smile and I decided to sign immediately.

Tina

My Pleasure, In a world full of stress it is lovely to be listened to and not rushed. That's the sign of a world-class consultant. Thanks Again.

Charlie Consultant

Charlie was pleasant, not pushy, very personable without wasting either of our time. Huge koodos to her customer service
Policy chosen is extremely good value. No claims as yet. Thank you

Leslie

LeslieNorth Queensland, QLD

On line claims. So easy.

My old pet insurance company didn't have an on line claim system and were more expensive. RSPCA has an easy to use pet portal and the claims are quickly dealt with. The hardest thing is getting the vet notes from the vet! I didn't like the notification of payment coming by snail mail weeks after the payment was made but that's now changed to being emailed. Much better. A multiple pet cover would be nice to save a bit of money.

Jeremy

JeremyPerth, WA

Easy, prompt, honest ...

Really needed it this year and surprised how easy it was to lodge a claim and even more surprised how quickly I was reimbursed. Communication was also very very prompt.

Robyn

RobynGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great

Helpful Fast Efficient Member for 1 year Overall very pleased with the service. The policy is good value. I have since learned how to do it online, so it is a very easy process. Well

Hi Robyn,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am delighted to hear of the great service that you have received from our team and that you can now submit your claims online via our online pet portal.

Julie

JulieRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Good to have peace of mind

Policy was easy to set up and have been with you now for 10 years, however I am finding that it is getting too expensive as my dog get older and am thinking about cancelling my policy when it becomes due. Claims have been easy to do and usually a quick turn around

Sue W.

Sue W.asked

Hi

I want to cancel my policy as I am not happy with a refusal for my claim. My kitten was insured by me on the Saturday and my confirmation email and my confirmation email told me he was insured from midnight that day. On Sunday afternoon I noticed he was limping and on Monday I took him to my vet who suggested xrays to check his hip. I said fine because I knew he was insured. He did have a broken hip and they recommended surgery. I sent a claim for the visit and got a letter saying it was refused because the consultation and treatment was not within the insurance period, despite it being two days after the policy started. Please tell me how this is right? No point asking you to pay for surgery as it’s now pre-existing condition. I will be insuring him elsewhere now.

Hi Sue,
I am sorry to hear that your kitten has a broken hip and of your dissatisfaction in relation to your policy. Your policy does start at one minute to midnight (11.59pm) on the commencement date shown on your Certificate of Insurance. You are able to claim immediately for events covered under the accidental injury section of the policy, provided the accident occurred after the start date. However, there is a 30 day waiting period for illnesses and 6 months for cruciate ligament conditions.
I have sent you a private message to obtain your policy details to assist with your cancel request. However, we would be sorry to see you go.

steve b.

steve b.asked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

Please tell me what percentage of premiums do the rspca receive. Thanks

Hi Steve B,
Thank you for reaching out to us with your query. I can confirm that up to 20% of your first-year's premium being paid helps support the RSPCA.

Pollyfodder
Pollyfodder

Yeah, and the other 80 percent minimum in the first year and 100 percent in the following years supports you!
What a rort!
You should be ashamed of yourselves!
Political pressure will put an end to this!

Hi Pollyfodder,
We endeavour to remain transparent with our customers in relation to all aspects of their policies, including the amount of premiums used to support the RSPCA.

M Laiasked

RSPCA Pet Insurance

I signed up for the insurance (Ultimate plan) in March 2020, and I was sure that accident injuries have no waiting period. True enough, only a few days after we signed up, my dog was playing ball and hurt his left leg, we took him to the vet and vet assessment was "Soft tissue injury/trauma; Muscle sprain, Tendinitis, Ligament inflammation, Elbow injury". I did not submit my claim right away. My dog has fully recovered from the leg injury.

Then, a few days ago, my dog again hurt himself on his left leg, the assessment from the vet is he was fully recovered from his last injury, and then have another lameness of his left leg, there wasn't any suggestion that the two injuries are related. He did x-ray and vet gave him some medicines. I then submitted both claims at the same time. Both have been declined. first claim was because it is within the waiting period. The second claim was due to pre-existing condition.

When I signed up for the insurance, I was told that accident injury has no waiting period. So if my dog hurt himself playing, is it not an accident?

Also, his first time injury was fully recovered according to the vet note. The medical note from the vet did not suggest the two injuries were related, it did not say my dog injured the same area or same muscle. Is it mean if he ever have any problem on his left leg, it is a pre-existing condition? It does not matter if he hurts his knee or shoulder or toes or paw on his left everything is pre-existing on his left leg?

I was trying to call, and was very disappointed as due to the covid-19 there wasn't anyone picking up my call.

Ebony-Rose
Ebony-Rose

It may have been a mis communication on their end, as the person who signed me up explained that there are two waiting periods. One for accidents and one for things such as ligatures etc.
She did say I could apply to have the waiting period wavered if I had to and it was an emergency.
Try give this number a call, as when I called back yesterday my call was answered right away. 0284594771

M Lai

Thanks Ebony-Rose I understand that there will be 30 days waiting period for some illness and 6 months waiting list for Cruciate Ligament. I was told that no waiting period for accidental injuries. Now it looks like they are saying my dog playing ball hurt himself is not an accident to their definition. But I will post an update once they get back to me on this matter.

Hi M Lai,
Thank you for providing us with the opportunity to look into this further for you. As mentioned, a member of our team will be in contact with you to discuss your claims further.

Get an answer from our members and RSPCA Pet Insurance representatives