SGIC Car Insurance

customers no longer valued.

Having to deal with an overseas call centre has made SGIC very sub standard.
Have 6 policies been with SGIC 19 years and have no faith in this company should I need to make a claim.
Just reinsured my car online with SGIC at $90 dollars cheaper than my original invoice.
Then got a TEXT informing me the car was not insured turns out I have taken out a new policy hence the cancellation of the old policy. Why is it cheaper online for the exact same policy this company is simply ripping off its loyal customers and not offering the best deal. Call centre staff do not understand the products they sell (had trouble insuring a new car last year).
I now have to go through the process of moving 6 policies to a locally based insurance company as the service provided by SGIC is both confusing and concerning.

Claim MadeNo
Hi, we aim to provide the same level of service whether your call is answered in Australia or at one of our offshore call centres. I am sorry if this wasn't the case for you. At the moment we have a promotion where if you take out a new policy online on our website you save $100 compared if you called us for the new policy. So your renewal would have been cheaper then doing a new policy but for the online discount. I can understand your frustration with how this current campaign is. If you wish to discuss this further you can click this link https://www.facebook.com/sgicinsurance/ and message us. Just let us know you have come from Product Review. ~ Jono

Made zero claims, premiums went up enormously every year

The first year I was making monthly payments of $63, the next year they went up to $74, and the last straw was the payments going up AGAIN to $82.

Car ModelCamry Hybrid
Claim MadeNo
Hi Mike, thanks for taking the time to review our Car Insurance. I think it might be a good time to review your policy and ensure we have everything correct. Factors like the amount of klms you drive and your excess can affect the premium, and could assist in making it more affordable. Feel free to give us a call on 133 233 between 7am-8.30pm or using our specialists on webchat -https://www.sgic.com.au/contact-us/web-chat ~Renae

Crap service

Have made two claims over past three years roof in my garage caved in after storm would not accept claim ,car damaged in shopping centre car park door and back panel damaged virtually called me a liar ,saying it was two claims not one ,will be cancelling my three policies,and my father in law has business and several houses insured with company and is in process of finding another company ,the aim of the accessors is to knock back as many claims as possible ,never do business with this company again have been with them 35 years and in that time only three claims have gone to omnibus had enough .

Claim MadeYes
Claimant is the policy holder Yes
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJuly 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Neville, sorry to hear you are unhappy with how we have assessed your claims. If you believe we have made incorrect decisions you can have them reviewed and assessed again. Please message us using this link https://www.facebook.com/sgicinsurance/ and provide your claim number and contact details and we will have our claims team follow up and contact you to review. ~ Jono

Worst customer service. worst people to talk.

I requested to them to cancel my policy but they are taking too long to process it. They keep holding my phone for too long. Moreover they are deducting one more premium which I am not liable to pay. I pay for premium at the start of the month which I am insured. I am not paying premium at the end of the insured month. This simple thing they do not understand. They even do not know how to talk with a customer. I never go back to SGIC in future. never ever.

Insurance TypeThird Party Property Damage
Car ModelMazda 121 DW
Claim MadeNo
Hey Samir. Sorry to hear about your experience, this is certainly not what we would expect as a policy should be able to be cancelled on the spot. If you would like us to look into this for you or provide feedback, please contact us via facebook messenger at this link : https://www.facebook.com/sgioinsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review ~ Lizzy

Communications failure

I have been with SGIC for two months, but will be changing shortly.
In the two months I have been with them I have experienced several issues with their website not allowing me to change my direct debit details, to just straight up crashing whenever I tried to access the home page. I reported this to them.
I have now had to make a claim after being rear-ended by a third party, week 1 Wednesday - I provided an image of the car that hit me, including the registration number, but I forgot to get the address of the third party, although I got the name and the phone number. Making the claim was very easy and the representative was very friendly and easy to speak to. She assured me that this case would be open communication, but at this stage I would be paying the excess until they were able to get the third party's address from them, which would be done by calling them on the number provided. She tried to call twice straight away, which was nice, but couldn't get the third party on the phone. The next morning I get a call from the repairer and we proceed to go through the process of starting an assessment of the damage, cost and time. I am admittedly slack with the process of uploading these images, so it isn't completed until Sunday morning.
Week 2 Monday and I have heard nothing. I call up again and ask if anything has changed - it has not. No further attempts at contact have been made. I request that they try to contact the third party and let me know if that changes. I log onto the website which seems to be working fine for claims, find my claim and upload the third party's details and the image I took of the third party's car and leave it at that for now. Week 2 Wednesday rolls around and I have heard nothing again, I call again and nothing has been done to prevent me forking out the excess. SGIC attempt to call the third party again after placing me on hold, can't get through again. They give me the same information in that I will be the one paying if this isn't resolved. We end the call there and I call the third party myself, no answer. I leave a message. I get a call back in twenty minutes, the third party claims that SGIC never called them. I have no reason to believe this is true, just worth noting. They tell me they will contact my insurance company today and take care of it, but the car is a work car so will need to go through work insurance. This doesn't affect me, or so I think.
Week 3 Monday, I have heard nothing still and my car is due in to the repair shop on Wednesday of this week, I am feeling very anxious about the money. I log onto the SGIC website to check the claim, all the details I uploaded of the third party, including the name, phone number and image of the car and its damage have vanished. I am beyond frustrated at this point. I call SGIC and sit on hold for 15 minutes to speak to the first representative who verifies my identity, and then gets the claim number from me, before telling me this is a new system he is not trained in and puts me back on hold to speak to somebody else. 10 minutes later I am put through to somebody who knows the system. He verifies my identity, gets the claim number and said that yes, the third party did call, and they were happy to hear that the third party would be claiming from their workplace's insurance.

The following is an overview of the conversation
"Well that's great, but am I still paying the excess?"
"At this point in time until we get a claim number yes."
"But I was told that once the third party called up with their address I would have that waived."
"We did not get that information from the third party."

SGIC failed to get the one piece of information they were waiting on from the third party, so I was still up for the excess. I had to chase down the third party because they failed to, and was told NOTHING every step of the way, after being told there would be open communication. The representative called the third party and was able to get address luckily, so the excess has been waived, but I am so frustrated by this whole ordeal. I wait to see where this claim goes from here.

TLDR: Website is dodgy. Information uploaded for claims disappeared on me, crashes and failed to allow payment detail changes.
Lodged a claim as I was rear-ended and SGIC tried to contact the third party for the address I forgot to get and when I did get the third party to call they failed to get this one piece of information, meaning I almost had to fork out the excess for the repair. They claim to have open communication during claims, but the only contact you get unless you call them is the original e-mail stating a claim has been made.

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Claim MadeYes
Hi Rob, thanks for the feedback. It's certainly not the level of service we aim to provide especially during claim time. We absolutely should have open communication during our claims and should be updating you where possible. We would love to help you escalate this if you do have any unresolved issues with your claim or need to discuss it further. Please PM us with your policy/claim details to our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/sgicinsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. ~Natalie

Dodgy service, not knowing their own policy.

After getting a quote elsewhere for a cheaper and better policy, I called up SGIC to clarify my current policy and update my address.
Turns out my change of address adds an extra $10 to my premium per month.
I spoke to the lady on the phone and enquired about cancelling my policy, she advised me that there potentially would be a $30/$35 cancellation fee. She put me on hold while she went to check the fees, came back to the line and informed me there would be no cancellation fee, in fact SGIC would need to refund me $16.
I told her I would call up the following day to cancel as it was almost closing time.

I called up the following day, I spoke to a man who was very helpful until he realised I wanted to cancel my policy, he then couldn’t wait to get me off the phone. I jumped in right before he hung up and asked about the refund that the previous officer had told me about. He quickly answered that there would be no refund and I’m lucky that I don’t have to pay a cancellation fee and almost hung up on me again. He was rude and not interested in hearing me out at all. I explained the whole previous conversation and even offered to wait on hold while he listened back to the recorded phone call from the previous day. He was not interested in helping me or getting to the bottom of the issue, kept on talking down the phone line that ‘she was wrong and he is right’.

It got to the point that I requested to speak to a manager/supervisor to get to the bottom of the issue, and make a complaint against the man who was so rude and eager to get me off the phone. I spoke to a manager/supervisor by the name of Jamie-Lee who was appalled by the miss match information I had been given and the service I had received. I was told I would get a phone call back within 24-48 hours with an update on the issue and also regarding my refund. It honestly does not surprise me to say I still have not received a phone call back from Jamie-Lee, exactly 4 business days later.

Absolutely terrible customer service, and it extends up the ladder to management/supervisors who cannot keep their word. Glad I am no longer a customer of SGIC.

I am still waiting on a phone call from Jamie-Lee.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Jade, thank you for sharing your recent experience. I am happy to look into this further and have the promised call back made. However I beleive I know what has happened here. There is $30+gst cancellation fee when cancelling a policy mid term and not replacing it with another car policy. When you pay your policy with monthly direct debits whether you will have a small refund or a final payment depends on where your payments are at compared to the date of cancellation. The refund amount quoted would have been based on the day you called. When you called back the following day the cancellation date was one day later and therefor one more day of insurance is used from your direct debits. We don't refund amounts less the $15, this is instead donated to charity. This is noted in your PDS. So when you called back the following day to cancel the refund was now less the $15 so was not showing as a refund to be paid back to you. I am sorry this was not explained to you like this. I am happy to still follow up with Jamie-Lee and have her contact you. Please message your policy number, DOB, address and contact details to us via Facebook Messenger using this link https://www.facebook.com/sgicinsurance/ and just let us know you have come over from Product Review. ~ Jono

Worst customer service! Don't know their own processes!

I had to restore paint protection after the crash repair. I was asked to submit the quote for reviewing what fair and reasonable portion would be. Didnt get a call from SGIC but the paint retailer called me to book for paint job. Called in two days later to confirm with SGIC. It took a while for them to figure out and finally confirmed that I proceed with the work. After the paint work, I was asked to submit the actual invoices. It took them +2months to reimburse the invoice. I called SGIC as many as 6 times during this period. All I would hear was it was submitted to assessment team for fair and reasonable portion. Seemed like they have rote learned their sentences! I spoke with managers too and they promised me twice to call me back by the end of the week with updates on what was going on. They never called me! What I did not understand is why did they need to assess what is fair and reasonable twice and needed both quote and an invoice for the same reason. Price wise it is cheaper than most of the provider but if you shop around you can get cheaper than SGIC. and for that very reason,I have switch my car insurance.

Car Modelnissan dualis
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Bishwas, thank you for sharing your review. I am glad you had this claim completed but am disappointed we took so long to reimburse you. If you would like me to look into your claim to answer your questions please PM your policy/claim details to this link to our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/sgicinsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your policy/claim number, date of birth, address and contact details. ~ JonoI have moved on with other insurance. I don't see any point now.

Worst insurance Company Ever!!

Treatment by SGIC, the worst! Awful to deal with. Another carpark reversal where the other driver accepted it was his fault, only to flip and tell SGIC we were both at fault.
Ridiculous emails, phone calls, etc, etc.
Was even told my claim would not go through as l had not informed them where car was to be repaired, l was driving it at the time and it had been repaired 2 weeks prior after l paid $500 excess for something that was not my fault.
Rudeness of staff in Adelaide Office and also claims which is based overseas is very hard to take.
Yesterday I received an email asking for a good review as to how well they looked after me as a client, what a joke this company is, nobody speaks to anyone else, only interested in taking the money fraudently.
Have cancelled my insurances with SGIC!

Car ModelToyota Camry RZ
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateApril 2019
Hey Pauline, I can understand your frustration and can assure you this isn't the way we want our customers to be left feeling during or after a claim. We are sorry to see you go but if you do change your mind or want us to look into this further for you we'd be more than happy to. Please PM us your details to https://www.facebook.com/sgicinsurance/. We are always more than happy to assist where possible and we appreciate the feedback. ~ Nada

No customer service

Wasn't set up with the proper policy made a claim that was rejected then I canceled it someone was going to call me to discuss my rejected claim and that didn't even happen what a joke.

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Third Party, Fire and Theft
Claim DateApril 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hey Craig, thanks for sharing your claim experience with us. We don't want you feeling left frustrated after trying to make a claim. We are more than happy to chase it up for you. Please PM us your details through facebook by going to https://www.facebook.com/sgicinsurance/ along with your claim details so I can get someone to contact you ASAP within the next couple of business days. ~NadaThat was already ment to happen it has been two weeks now so I wouldn't worry.Not a problem Craig, if you do change your mind please do not hesitate to get in contact with us. ~Nada

Unfair and incompetent

Got rear ended in a parking lot after I had finished reversing and already in drive gear to move forward. While I was changing gears I was stationary and got rearended by the SGIC client.
This client ACCEPTED her fault and accepted to pay the damages offline. Stupid mistake on my end to not take it in writing as the client decides to get SGIC involved. When I consulted SGIC, they claimed that it is the fault of both drivers. Thats great isnt it, you are bloody done reversing, you are completely at a halt and then someone reverses into you and rear ends you and we are both at fault?
We had to make follow up calls to find out what was happening with their so called Investigation.
Will ensure nobody I know ever buys SGIC.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Aditya, Thanks for your feedback on our Car Insurance Product. Sorry to hear about your recent accident and claims experience. Usually in this situation, your insurance company and the other party's (SGIC) would work together to find a resolution. Maybe follow this up with your insurer and they can advise you of next steps on your behalf. ~RenaeWe only have 3rd part insurance. Your client on the other hand, ACCEPTED their fault and then you guys made a nice little backflip. I am left with a $900 bill thanks to your unscrupulous business ethics.Thanks for the information Aditya. If you would like to escalate this matter you can PM us via Messenger and we can pass your matter on to the Claims Manager. ~Renae

1th. 8 month Told me damage done by human is not covered . My wife had accident. I claimed. They se

I have been with sgic for 5 years. I received terrible service. I am not happy at all. Paint job has to match on the front of the vehicle

Insurance claim madeYes
hey Ramin, sorry to hear that you were not happy with the repairs. We can certainly have your concerns escalated for you but we do not manage the claims directly here, however, if you can confirm the claim number we can absolutely have that escalated for you ASAP and you would get a call from the claims team within the next 2-3 bsines days. ~Lochy

Their policies are totally designed to benefit them

I met with an accident in November 2018 and which was not my fault at all, where the other driver hit us from a biroad when I was driving in the main road. From SGIC approved Keswick Crash repair centre gave me a confirmation call saying the car can be repaired and delivered by 19th December. Keeping that in mind I hired a car and did not look for other options as they gave me a promise. But on 6th December SGIC called me and said my car is not at a repairable stage and they are going to write off!! Which is really misleading ! Moreover, SGIC is telling that they are deducting my upcoming premium payments from my insurance value. This is totally unacceptable and due to their promise of fixing the car I had to pay for a rent car 300 AUD. They are terrible. How can I absorb such a great loss and even this accident is not my fault. So do I have to suffer? For being a customer of SGIC? Why SGIC cannot claim the fully insured value from the third party insurer who is at fault?

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Sudharshan, thanks for reviewing our Insurance Product. Sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience with your car claim. If you would like the matter escalated you can PM the Social Team via Messenger and we can escalate to a Claims Manager on your behalf ~Renae

Not happy when it's not your fault but still have to pay an excess

17 years too long time to change not happy claims department wasn't helpful making me feel like it was my fault when a guy went though red lights and almost hurt me but they take the lights out of picture cause I had no witness or dash cam that's crap on your part SGIC that will lose me.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Liliana, sorry to hear you are unhappy with the claims team, were you able to identify the person at fault who went through the red light? Generally if you can ID the person at fault you wont have to pay an excess. Can we help escalate your concerns to the claims manager? If so please PM our Facebook page or this page and we would be happy to help. ~Kaz

Untrained staff and hidden agendas

I recently contacted sgic to cancel the remaining month or so left on 2 car insurance policies; one was seamlessly processed with a refund of $56. The other car received nothing. I contacted both the offshore and local office and was told that due to a mystery "admin fee" , which neither office could elaborate on, I was not entitled to a refund.

I then tried to raise the issue on their Facebook page and was advised that after deduction of this "mystery admin fee", if the remaining balance is under $15, sgic automatically "donates" the monies to the "charities [they] support". Apparently this is written on pg 86 of their pds. If I wanted that amount refunded, I would need to "escalate" the issue with another team.

First of all, why was one refund given with no addition charges, while the other car denied? Secondly, why is sgic not appropriately training their staff? And thirdly, who are these charities that sgic support, and if my money is going towards them, then shouldn't I receive a charity receipt?

Hence I will also be changing my other existing policies to other companies, and be encouraging family and friends to do so. 2 other family members have already made the switch to better deals! So please shop around! Sgic has a low rating here for a reason, and their sub-standard responses to these reviews are just for "ticking a box", rather than actually helping out their customers.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Leanne, thanks for sharing your recent experience with us. We appreciate your honesty and can see what you are saying. The info our Facebook team advised you is correct however I can not comment as to why the refunds were both processed differently. We recently off shored our call centre and would like to pass on your feedback to the consultants who assisted you. Please feel free to PM us your policy and contact details if you would like to esculate this further. We dont want to loose you as a customer and are happy to make the right arrangements for you - thanks ~Rubie

Automotive Claim

SGIC is fantastic company to deal with. Customer service was exceptionally great and all matters was concluded with in 10 minutes. The claim, and assessment of the vehicle and repair of the car all with in a matter of minutes.

Insurance claim madeYes
So good to hear OPALS, thanks so much for sharing your great experience! ~Renae

Could of psint the whole side if the car

Unfortunately you can see the new paint and the old. The whole side of the car should of been painted as i requested multiple times

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Robert, thanks for reviewing our Car Insurance Product. I am sorry that you have been left with repairs that show a difference in the paint. There is a resolution process you can follow if you are unhappy. Let us know if you require any further help in escalating this. The Social Team is available via Facebook Messenger ~Renae

i wish i had read the reviews before insuring 6 cars..

At first it seem that i was going to be treated properly after a tiny not at fault bump...but alas after my car was virtually destroyed by hower crash lonsdale sth aust..sgic prefered cheap and nasty repairer..then all walls and blicks came up..and has now become a horrible experience..my friends went thru same process with hower crash..please be warned..as for scic..wldnt a little help and nice service go a long way to keeping customers..there are countless insurers out there these days..please treat your existing customers correctly..and then you may recieve your first good review this century....

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi John, thanks for taking the time to review and leave honest feedback. We do not like hearing that our customers are feeling like this. A claim should be easy and pain-free. If you would like any assistance in escalating your concerns you can send through your private information and claims details to our team via Private Message in Facebook Messenger ~Renae

Car Rego balance deducted from payout IMMORAL

We have been insured with SGIC for seven years, we have 3 cars, home and contents. The Car was written off as a total loss the payout was determined quickly, however the balance of the Car registration was deducted from the payout. This is outrageous and immoral. Car registration is our business, NOT SGIC. Also the balance of the insurance policy will not be refunded or credited back to us for the new car replacement.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Jok, thanks for your review. The deduction of the registration is noted in the PDS for your information and this is also common across all insurance companies as the roads authority will refund your unused registration directly to you. In regards to your premium, your policy states you agree to pay your premium and we agree to pay your total loss claim. This is also noted in the PDS and is common across all insurance companies as well. Thanks for the opportunity to explain this to you. ~Kaz

SGIC - appalling service

I was in an accident with an sgic client, it was entirely their fault. My car is now unusable and one week later I’m getting absolutely no reply from sgic. I have phoned them twice and been told a claims person will call with 48 hours - I hear nothing!
The claim dept didn’t pick up calls today, I waited otjephie for 40 mis, even the online chat was a min 30 min wait.
Put on more staff SGIC, provide some goddamn service to people who need it. Appalling.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi 'Just', I am sorry that you have been left feeling this way. It is always a difficult time going through a claim and chasing things up. Has your insurer offered to correspond with us on your behalf? This will assist you greatly and take the pressure off. I hope you get some satisfaction soon and find a good outcome to a horrible situation. Please reach out to us if you require any assistance in chasing things up. The Social Team can be found on Facebook Messenger. Thanks for your feedback ~RenaeInterestingly the service did not improve when i finally did get in contact with a claims agent. Simple questions about the benefits of going with a partner garage or my own choice could not be answered. Seriously. Again, commitments to have a supervisor return my call went undelivered. I ended up progressing my own case in the absence of SGIC delivering any service. Only then did I get a call from SGIC staff. Truly unbelievable. If anyone on this website is shopping around for a good alternative for insurance these are not the guys to go with!

Wouldn't even bother with them!

I was sent a survey via email and at the end I was asked to put a review on here, Gladly! Would not recommend them at all! We have building insurance with them, had a problem with our garage roof collapsing but apparently they dont cover it! Even though it is part of the building!! The customer service representative was rude and when I ask what i was covered for then if i wasn't covered for the building he pretty much just said goodbye and hung up! Will definately be changing providers as soon as this contract is up!

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for your honest feedback Teresa V. You should not be left feeling like this, and we apologise for that. The consultant should of educated on what is covered and what is excluded. I understand that you are changing providers based on your message but if you would like any further information please feel free to PM via Messenger our Social Team. We are always happy to assist where we can ~Alison