SGIO Car Insurance

How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (3)
    • 1-2 weeks (1)
    • 2-4 weeks (2)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (7) · No (3)
arcadia10
arcadia10Perth, WA

Excellent claims service, reasonable premium and love the optional zero excess

Traveller
TravellerPerth, WA

Don't bother.

Communication with this company is absolute shocking. I used the chat to resolve a problem with my claim but still hasn't been resolved. The insurance company from the other vehicle in the crash is harassing me with emails and text messages. Is this normal?? No thanks SGIO.

Irene K.
Irene K.Wheatbelt, WA

Excellent coverage at a reasonable cost.

I have had comprehensive insurance for two vehicles through SGIO for several years and although I haven't had to make a claim I have found them to be very helpful supplying information on changes of vehicles, advice on the different policies and an honest assessment of what, and what is not, included in the policy. Their prices are unbeatable, and if everybody does the right thing by not claiming for trivial mishaps we can expect a good policy for a reasonable price.

Care TeamSGIO Insurance

Hi Irene, thank you for taking time in leaving a 5 star review. I am delighted to hear that you are happy with our service and product for a number years now. Hope to continue this great relationship with you for more. Have a good day. ~ Rick

Ben
BenPerth, WA

Ever rising premiums - get insurance elsewhere

When Comprehensive cover became ridiculously expensive, I moved to Third Party Fire & Theft. The following year my insurance premium increased by 25%. I asked for an explanation, and got fobbed off with general statements about factors such as cost of repairs, availability of parts - which are not even relevant for 3rd Party Fire and Theft.

Care TeamSGIO Insurance

Rising premium for less cover.

2006 HSV GTO COUPE purchased new and still original worth 90k . SGIO top cover $29k for $950 yr $800 excess. Not at all interested in letting me insure for what it’s worth. 24yrs with this mob and now time to move on I believe.

Care TeamSGIO Insurance

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019

we-compared-reviews-on-the-top-5-most-popular-car-insurance-providers
Mitch R.
Mitch R.Perth, WA

Look Elsewhere

I canceled my Car Insurance and if I owed any money and it was below $10 they would waive the money. I just looked at my account and they charged me $8:13 . What a Joke.
Look elsewhere for your Car Insurance.

Arlene
ArlenePerth, WA

Excellent customer service

I called to renew my policy today, I spoke to Thorn who was friendly, had great product knowledge and was very understanding regarding my circumstances. Thorn was patient and kind, Thorn also has a fantastic phone manner. Please thank Thorn for his exceptional work ethic.

Care TeamSGIO Insurance

Hi Arlene, thank you for the 5 star review and for taking the time to send the feedback to Thorn. Thank you for trusting us with your insurance. ~ Bec

Garry
GarryPerth, WA

satisfied

Used SGIO on most of my vehicles now for the last three years, Hard to beat on price so far. Wife had someone run into the back of her. Everything got sorted but communication was a bit slack and their preferred repairer didn't do the best job. Apart from that had no issues.

Care TeamSGIO Insurance

Thanks for your review Garry, we do have a guarantee on repairs so please get back in touch with claims if you are not happy with the repair and they can resolve this for you. ~Kaz

Chris
ChrisWestern Australia

Terrible communication

I have had an open claim for them for 6months. Not once did they respond to my emails or call me to about the process of the claim. Each week I would have to call them to get them to proceed with the next step of the claim. Literally like I was holding there hand through the process. It was the worst customer service I have dealt with in my life. I will now be canceling my insurance policy with this company.

Sat SinghPerth, WA

Stay away from this dodgy insurance company

Doug UpsomeWestern Australia

Two claims in the last 3 years

Insured with many companies over the last 25 years and have since found SGIO car insurance very competative on price, Had two claims in the last three years, one car accident my fault the other someone else, filled in the claim report online, they suggest their preferred repairer (both times I entered my repairer of choice) drove to the repairer who sent off the quote and the rest was handled efficiently and promply. Would recommend for someone who is happy to deal with a claim online and receive a competative price for vehicle insurance.

DanMadPerth, WA

Took over 12 months on one claim and still going with another 5 months in

First claim i submitted took over 12 months to resolve. Made me go to the police station and chase things up instead of resolving themselves. There was no contact on updates i had to chase up every time even when they said i would get a call back. Current claim i am dealing with has taken over 5 months for a failed theft attempt and the police report came in the first 2 weeks of the claim but received no update they were waiting on a form from myself and the claim was just sitting there not moving. Form sent in and still waiting 3 weeks later having to follow up. Whenever i call as well it gets put through to another insurance company which isnt even SGIO and they run on EST not WST

Disappointed
DisappointedPerth, WA

UnAustralian!

During COVID 19, with widespread, loss of household income, approached SGIO asking if they were prepared to offer any reduction or change to payments, ie 3 or 6monthly. I am a Registered nurse and many major businesses are offering assistance.....SGIO is NOT one of them! After MANY years as a loyal customer, I am extremely disappointed in their unwillingness to help their fellow Australian in this time of need....not to mention that I needed to EXPLAIN to the representative what the 'current situation' actually meant for us all here on the ground....i was however, wished All-the-Best... CHEERS!

Karley
KarleyGreat Southern, WA

No Service

Over two weeks since I have lodged a claim online. Several phones call for which I had to wait over half an hour to be answered, and still no information. SGIO used to be so good, sadly claims gone offshore and so has service

Ann Kay
Ann KayPerth, WA

Wonderful Service

Hello SGIO Customer Experience Team

Re: Claim Number [Number Removed]

I am writing to express my total and complete satisfaction with the service SGIO has given me. We have been with SGIO for over 20 years and I have never had any cause to complain about the service it has afforded us. I am very happy with the service we get from SGIO and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who asks.

Kind regards
Ann Kay
Policy Number: [Number Removed]
PS I am writing this way because the feedback form has expired while I was away.

Care TeamSGIO Insurance

Hi Ann Kay, thank you kindly for your great feedback. We are proud to be able to help you so well. ~ Jono

david.bruce.714049
david.bruce.714049asked
SGIO Car Insurance

When a car is sold and a transfer not required can the outstanding unused cover amount be claimed back.

Care TeamSGIO Insurance

Hi David, is this for a comprehensive policy then if so, yes. There is a cancellation fee but any unused amount after cancellation fee and payment for time used gets refunded. For any other policies, please confirm so we can answer correctly. ~Natalie

Mat
Matasked
SGIO Car Insurance

Do you have road side assistance? Pls provide me the link.

Hi Mat, unfortunately SGIO does not provide roadside assistance. ~Nada

Billy B.
Billy B.asked
SGIO Car Insurance

Wow how bad is this insurance company over ONE HUNDRED REVIEWERS leaving 1 star and basically saying SGIO Are bad, and only 50 saying there ok, Is Sgio really bad like Doggy doo bad??

Sat Singh

Definitely bad enough ..do not waste ur precious money in buying ur insurance with them..if u ever need to apply for insurance claim even if u r not at fault this insurance company wont bother to do some investigation and will come to conclusion to refuse your claim so i would suggest stay away from them.. hope this company shut down with big loss as they love to take ur money and dont wanna give u service.. SGIO sucks.

Doug Upsome

Billy B Check the ratings on other insurers - RAC 2 stars, Shannons 2 stars, Allianz 2 stars, so Sgio isn't the worst, read the reviewers comments and decide for yourself. I'd suggest it would be hard to satisfy customers in this industry judging from some comments. In my experience with this company on-line communication seems to work best.

Care TeamSGIO Insurance

Hey Billy. Unfortunley the majority of people don't often take the time to come to review sites when they have good service but are more likely to post a negative review or social media post when something doesn't go to plan, so it may not be a true reflection of a company. The overwhelming majority of customers leave happy and satisfied but everyone so often we do get it wrong and do our best to help rectify that situation. We would always recommend doing your own research into the PDS's when comparing cover to understand what is and isn't covered and the differences between. We would be happy to help answer any questions you have around our product or services.~ Lizzy

Get an answer from our members and SGIO Insurance representatives

Compare all 5 SGIO Car Insurance
CategoryCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents, Motorcycle and TravelHome and Contents, Motorcycle and TravelHome and Contents, Motorcycle and TravelHome and Contents, Motorcycle and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterInsurance Australia LimitedInsurance Australia LimitedInsurance Australia LimitedInsurance Australia Limited
Legal Liability Cover Included up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverReduced Excess Included and Zero Excess Optional ExtraZero Excess IncludedNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedNot ApplicableNot Applicable
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional, for 14 days. Up to $65 a day for a hire car until whichever of these events happen first:

• your vehicle is repaired
  • pay your claim for a total loss, or
  • you've had the hire car for 14 days
  • up to $2,000 in total for any excess and security bond you pay under your hire car agreement because there is loss or damage to the hire car or it causes loss or damage.

Included, up to $95 a day for a hire car until whichever of these events happen first:

• your vehicle is recovered and doesn't need any repairs
  • your vehicle is repaired, or
  • your claim for a total loss has been paid up to $3,000 in total for any excess and security bond you pay under your hire car agreement because there is loss or damage to the hire car or it causes loss or damage.

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot IncludedIncluded, up to $250Not IncludedNot Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded, up to $800Included, up to $800Not IncludedIncluded, up to $800
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot ApplicableNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Hire Car after Theft

Included, up to $65 a day for a hire car until whichever of these events happen first:

• your vehicle is recovered and repaired
  • your claim has been paid for total loss, or
  • you've had the hire car for 21 days

• your vehicle is recovered and repaired
  • your claim has been paid for total loss, or
  • you've had the hire car for 21 days
Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded, up to $1,000Included, up to $3,000Not IncludedNot Included
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot ApplicableNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded, up to $1,000Included, up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsIncluded, up to $500Included, up to $500Not IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

If your claim has been paid as a total loss, then you may choose to replace your vehicle with a new one if all of these apply:

• you bought your vehicle as a new or demonstrator vehicle
  • the incident covered happens within 2 years from when your vehicle was first registered
  • your vehicles tare weight is less than 2.5 tonnes.

Not Included

Personal Property CoverIncluded, up to $500 excluding cash and mobile phonesIncluded up to $500, excluding cash and mobile phonesNot IncludedNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot ApplicableNot applicable
Accidental Loss or Damage
Malicious Damage / VandalismIncludedIncludedNot IncludedNot Included
FireIncludedIncludedNot IncludedIncluded
CollisionIncludedIncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Natural EventsIncludedIncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Theft or Attempted TheftIncludedIncludedNot IncludedIncluded
ManualDownload manualDownload manualDownload manualDownload manualDownload manual
Compare all 5 SGIO Car Insurance