Beautiful to look at. Awful to use.

I purchased my Smeg stand mixer after a spending days researching which mixer would best meet my needs. I regularly make bread for my family so my main objective was to purchase a machine that could handle the labour of kneading dough. After reading many positive reviews about the Smeg Stand Mixer, I was sold. After arrival, I quickly made my first batch of dough.. and boy was I disappointed. Firstly, the dough hook is set too high up in the bowl to correctly mix and combine the ingredients. This is unchangeable, unlike the Kitchenaid. Secondly, the unit wobbles around while mixing the dough. This is typical of lever-type stand mixers but it was still unsettling given it was only my first use. Thirdly, once the dough came together, it continued to whirl around the dough hook. Unlike a spiral dough hook, the C shape hook on the Smeg is useless at kneading the dough. Instead, the dough just sticks to the hook and crawls up the dough hook. I added lots of oil to the dough at one point, increased the speed, but still, the dough eventually ended back up on the hook. I tried three separate bread recipes, including the recipe included in the Smeg box. All had to be removed from the mixer and kneaded by hand. It is also worth mentioning I tried to make a cheesecake with the whisk attachment. Again, the bowl is set too low and didn't mix the ingredients sufficiently. I ended up taking off the bowl from its base and holing it up closer to whisk to mix it. This is not suffiencent long term. Funnily enough, in the Smeg dough demo on youtube, they completely skip showing the viewers the dough hook in action. I feel they knew about this problem the moment it rolled off the production line! It's such a shame because I love my smeg freestanding oven. Sadly, this mixer is heading back to the store. I will be replacing with a much more powerful, but less beautiful, Kenwood Chef Mixer.

Purchased in September 2019 at Appliances Online for $359.00.

Great Machine with small disappointment

Machine works good and has great motor speed, can keep up with high usage. My main disappointment is it has trouble creaming/ whisking little amounts as the attachments don’t go close enough to the bowl. Also the numbers on the top of the machine have come off so I don’t know what speed my machine is sitting at.
Considering the price you pay, you are best purchasing a kitchenaid where these problems are not occurring.

Purchased in November 2018 at Myer for $500.00.

Very disappointed in smeg

I purchased my smeg a few weeks ago after the amazing reviews online. When I received it it all seemed fine however, when I was putting it together I noticed a 3-4cm between the bowl and the balloon whisk attachment. I emailed smeg immediately to see if that was normal and to whether my batter will mix evenly. I have not received a response from two weeks ago!

Unfortunately I could not wait for a response so I have decided to use it for my sons birthday this weekend as as expected it did NOT pick up the dry ingredients on the bottom of the bowl! And for some reason my whisk has a crack? Is that normal? I would have liked to revive an email response back from smeg before posing online. I’m very disappointed in my smeg experience.

Purchased in May 2019 for $399.00.

Safety
Hi PimC - you can contact us direct and we would love to have the opportunity to assist you - can you kindly email us direct at service@smeg.com.au or contact us via telephone, our number is 02 8667 4888. please provide your full name, address and contact telephone number. Regards Smeg Australia.I have tried to call smeg multiple times another this and left a voice message for the last two weeks !!! Disgraceful. I will never buy smeg or recommend them again. Plus the lady that did pick up the phone was extremely rude and just transferred me straight to a phone that never gets answered. Poor customer service.Dear Pim C. I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and I will arrange for a new whisk and dough mixer that should solve this problem to be sent to you without delay. Regards, Steve Cullen

The best!

Went to a baking class in Melbourne recently and this mixer was recommended by one of Sydney’s most prominent bakers (Nadine Ingram). She recommended it even above Kitchenaid. She wasn’t wrong, it’s amazing. It’s quiet, powerful and the shape of the bowl seems to mix the ingredients better than others. I’m a keen baker and I highly recommend this mixer.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Amazing kitchen helper

This mixer looks great in the kitchen and delivers on all the functions.
The motor is quiet and strong and makes easy work of kneading dough and mixing ingredients. The capacity of the bowl is fine.
We got it with the pasta additions which are great and easy to use. It has become an indispensable kitchen addition.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

This is my favourite addition to my Kitchen

This machine works a dream. I am someone who bakes all the time, it's my favourite pass time and this mixer has made the world of difference. It is easy to control and the attachments are sturdy but simple to remove and change. I bake all types of things, from bread to muffins to pizza base even just for whipping cream this thing handles it with ease ALWAYS. One thing worth mentioning is that because the head of the mixer is so large it is hard to add things in while mixing it altogether, it's really not a big deal I just have a specific jug I use to add extra flour, or milk etc. The stainless steel is easy to clean and it really is a statement living in my kitchen!! If you are looking at buying one I would suggest holding out until a sale pops up somewhere, I got mine for $500 instead of $700.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

This machine is amazing.

I got the mixer a few months back. Great machine. The attachments are a bit expensive but its worth it. Absolutely amazing. Everything seens so easy when you make them with this mixer. My favourite is the mince and pasta attachment. Really easy to use and make food taste and look lime a 5 star restaurant

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Smeg Red Stand Mixer - Thumbs up Bravo!!

I purchased this Stand Mix master last year for future use, and to match my stable of Smeg Red appliances in the Kitchen.
I used only twice in Sydney actually in her first year, having recently retired to FNQ and being closer to Grandchildren I bake and experiment and use her (Rosemary is her name) virtually Daily.
I Loovvee her, she is sturdy, true, functional, and so easy to use without interpreting a manual, I guess I can just take her for granted, which is brilliant and what I expect from an investment, I do a lot of Gluten free mixing and Breads and she stands up to the rigors.
Would recommend to lovers of Cooking and Style.
A Happy Smeg Customer.

May I know what model was the replacement, Ms. Livvi?
Hi Ms Livvi, Please contact our Sales Department on 02 8667 4855 to discuss further. Regards, Smeg Tech Support.

Same question here! I cannot whisk eggwhites, the beater is too high, and do not touch the eggwhites in the bowl. Any ideas?
I don't have the smeg but while researching before purchasing my mixer, I read that you need a minimum of 3 egg whites. I don't know it that helps....... http://shop.davidjones.com.au/djs/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&productId=6063508&langId=-1&storeId=10051&cm_mmc=googlesemmobile-_-PLA-_-Home+and+Garden+-+Household+Appliances-_-Smeg+SMF01PBAU+-++Stand+Mixer+Pastel+Blue&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5LbWBRDCARIsALAbcOe_aXN-zS4jJYDnN9oHhCTaNojM-klmF8vX8NrY0J_Vaik1SNpmvYsaAgbVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.dsThanks! I have exchanged the machine for another SMEG, and this one does not have that problem. If you get a SMEG make sure it is only a paper thicknes between the beater and the bowl.

Smeg SMF01BLAU (Black)Smeg SMF01CRAU (Cream)Smeg SMF01RDAU (Red)Smeg SMF01PBAU (Pastel Blue)Smeg SMF01SVAU (Silver)Smeg SMF01PGAU (Pastel Green)Smeg SMF01PKAU (Pink)
CategoryBenchtop Food MixersBenchtop Food MixersBenchtop Food MixersBenchtop Food MixersBenchtop Food MixersBenchtop Food MixersBenchtop Food Mixers
TypeBenchtopBenchtopBenchtopBenchtopBenchtopBenchtopBenchtop