Southern Phone Broadband

• Adequate Speeds Yes (175) · No (298)

Dave Roden

Dave RodenCentral Queensland, QLD

Staggering incompetence, or deliberate rorting?

David

DavidPerth, WA

I'm Leaving Southern Phone - Poor Service, Speed and Transparency

After months of me asking for tech help because of drop outs, slow and variable speed, I discovered it was their CVC. Cheaper to handle complaints than buy more CVC.

Start DateAugust 2017

Avi P.South East Queensland, QLD

Still getting charged after cancelling

Similar to other reviews, after cancelling the account, I still have been getting charged.
Their internet was terrible. Non-stop dropout.
And now that I changed to different NBN, I am still getting charged. My acc number is ACC240775

Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Start DateMarch 2019

I will wait for that.

Internet Service Providers

Find out how Southern Phone Broadband compares to other Internet Service Providers

nevets989Murrumbidgee Region, NSW

Worst customer service I've had in almost 20 years of using broadband

Start DateJanuary 2021
Southern Phone C.Southern Phone

Absolute Rubbish! They expect us to be okay with NO INTERNET FOR 2 MONTHS!

Ankit Agarwal
Ankit Agarwal
Old Codger

Old Codger

No dropouts and reliable service

Good service but have had some trouble will accounts, but these have been sorted without much trouble. The crew on computer chat line have been most helpful. Would recumbent for anyone looking for low price low volume service.

*** Will never use this service again ***

To start had no problems with the internet then after a couple of months the connection turned to crap the speed was slow always seems to cut out over night. When then put the speed up again it worked fine for a couple of months but yet again we started having issues. Ours came with 5G network and 4G I believe however the 4G stopped working altogether after a couple of months. Would rather pay extra to have a reliable service.

Start DateDecember 2019
Graham W.

Graham W.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Really poor customer service.

I purchased a 100mbs package on Christmas day. And was advised by email that they would be in touch within 48 hours (business days). After waiting till the 31st, I called to follow up. Waited over 30 mins on hold, then a further 20 or so on the phone with someone who in the end couldn't help. I then recieved a call from someone else advising that the 100mbps package wouldn't work in my area because it is fibre to the node. I said, that's fine, can you just amend the order. She said no, and wanted me to go back online and purchase a different package. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm really annoyed!

Aaron

AaronCentral, SA

A sham of a company!

Start DateSeptember 2020
Standalone or BundledBundled

Awful connection cuts out every 10 minutes

Internet keeps cutting out every 10 mins and has been for the past 3 months completely useless dont use this company have had troubles since I have changed over had no problems prior

Start DateApril 2019
Rose G.

Rose G.

ELDERLY mother has no landline 5 days now!! Waited in queue 1 hour 27 mins for technician, issue sti

Harmen Hulsman

Harmen HulsmanMurrumbidgee Region, NSW

Southern Phone provide a Mobile service, for my wife & I, which suits our requirements

Our two mobile phones are utilised for basic requirements, calls in & out and very little mobile Data.
Total cost per month approx $30. combined.Any queries are attended to immediately. Our landline/NBN thru Telstra.

Start DateAugust 2009
Southern Phone C.Southern Phone

Will be reporting this company to the Better Business Bureau.

This company has left my 87 year old mother without her only line of communication for over a week and repeatedly missed their own deadlines for repairs. Their customer service have no clue and operate on a blatant policy of deterrence when it comes to fixing any problem. These people are crooks and I will be forwarding the details of my complaint onto BBB tomorrow. These guys are crooks.

JesBGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

keeps on charging after contract termination

Have had multiple issues with this company over 2yrs. A month ago I requested for contract termination per 24-11-2020 and they keep charging my CC with 80AUD (incl 10 dollar late pay fee??).

If you consider them; just dont

Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Start DateSeptember 2018
JesB

Hi Shelby, thanks for your response. Yes it is a shame. Please find my customer nr attached. I hope we can resolve this switfly. ACC107041

chris clarkenowra

Quick, professional

Have had no negative experiences over the years I have been with Southern Phone. Why blather on when all I can say is that it is a great AUSTRALIAN service with Australians to talk to when assistance is required

chris clarke

Not a prob, Darian - keep the standards high.

• ADSL

Avoid this company

Gary

My a/c number is ACC184271. I have filed a complaint with the telecommunications ombudsman.

Hi Gary,
I can see that one of our case managers are reviewing this for you. They will be in contact to confirm the closure of your account. *Darian

mckgnaoGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Still being charged 5 months after disconnection

Start DateMarch 2016
mckgnao

Hello Darian, it's ACC114098. Thank you for your quick attention to this.

Sunny

SunnyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Worst ever is Southern phone

Extremely poor service. I took it because it was cheaper under employee plan. Yeah I am employee and can't get it fixed. Honestly this is worst ever service !

Save yourself the headache and go with a decent company.

Connection TypeHFC (Cable)
Contract Type12-month contract

Cisco_DGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

DOnt risk it

Start DateSeptember 2020
Contract Type24-month contract

Worst company ever

Extremely poor and unreliable internet service. We complained multiple times and things did not improve.

When we tried to leave the customer service people tried to gaslight us. They have continuously lied to us. Customer service are extremely unhelpful. I was told it was my fault our internet was unreliable because we chose the basic plan.

We keep getting bills even after they have agreed to stop billing us.

Save yourself the headache and go with a decent company.

Start DateOctober 2019
kellie a.
kellie a.

Hi Kellie,
If you do not respond here with your account number, I can not review your account and help fix this issue. I am more than happy to look into this and get it sorted but I can not do that unless you provide me with the necessary details.

Heatherasked

Southern Phone Broadband

I thought my recent experience with SP was shocking( initial call was to report no internet , but immediately passed to their sales team ,why?, and pressurised into taking on a contract for 2 years , which because of being hard of hearing just could not understand most of the words that were being spoken in a fast mumble, agreed to being in a distressing situation having an extremely ill husband in Moruya hospital, where SP originally began years ago, Now of course sold out to AGL and apparently run on an oily rag, one can ring them and at leasrt 50 minutes later one may finally speak to a “helper” and I have done that many times over the past month, and what is really annoying to see an email pop up saying situation solved , and it hasn’t, one is still at odds with them, have decided to bring this up at AGLs meeting this week being a loyal shareholder, but not for much longer, and hopefully this might make it into the “AUSTRALIAN” business section for everyone to see what has happened to this once great service. Also their billing service is also woeful, full of mistakes, changed my account number without even the courtesy of a email advising this procedure, the list goes on and on, and I refuse to be locked into a 2 year contract
Healthier.

Glenda S.
Glenda S.

I would not have a clue what to do I have found then to be very helpful

Aaron Hayes
Aaron Hayes

yes their service is a bit spotty, sometimes they are falling over themselves to help and other times useless. Heather I also am hard of hearing and hate doing business over the phone because I always get it wrong and end up saying yes sir yes sir three bags full even when I have no idea what they just said. Fortunately most of the operators I have spoken with so far have had broad Aussie accents but maybe I have just been lucky.
I also contacted them to complain about 12 hour internet outages (see my post elsewhere in this review page) but i just got the usual "we're sorry". When I made a positive suggestion that they have somebody on duty overnight to post messages about outages on their phone answering service and website they did not want to hear about that. Basically Southern Phone is dead to the world from 8pm to 8am and it's impossible to find out any information about overnight outages. All I want to know is:
1. Is it only my place or my street / my area or is it a widespread blackout?
2. Is it going to be off for a short time or a long time so I can make forward plans accordingly?
Not blaming them for the outages which are usually NBN's fault, just blaming them for the poor communication. Then they wonder why there are 200 people in the phone queue which could have been avoided by posting an update on their website. But I guess they don't want to advertise their outages.
And yes I also complained about their INDEFENSIBLE act of changing account numbers and cancelling everybody's online account access (passwords just suddenly didn't work any more, without notice) and once again making unnecessary work for themselves by having a gazillion customers in the phone queue to ask the same question "why am I locked out of my online account access?"
Either they are clueless or they don't give a rat's about customer communication.

Heather

Your experience sounds exactly like mine Aaron, direct debit ,which had been going seamlessly for nearly 4 years, stopped ,faced with a bill with a different account number, I dismissed it and waited for the proper bill to appear in my email column, and a month later the next one came with a late payment added on, so on the phone to find out what was going on, but was repeatedly informed just pay up!, after much probing was told there had been a bit of a “glitz” in the new system ,no apology regarding their failure to inform their Customers of this fact, also was told I would have to ring their billing dept to restart direct debit again, which Idid not do being so disgruntled over this affair, and guess what , they started taking my payments again direct from my card! Words actually fail me at how this business is run,I was without the internet for nearly 3 weeks simply due to the fact my order for the new Modem, which they really pushed at me wasn’t ordered as promised, so made the delay much longer, can’t help wondering if these people are on bonuses for selling NBN to customers just fed up with holding on and on when there are so many other things one should be doing, and we accept anything just to get these necessary services back.I then lost my landline as well, went through the usual spell re costs if it was my phone, which it wasn’t , not that SP investigated though, but spent $150 buying a new set to be sure, so am determined to have a shot at AGL ‘s meeting this week, as I’m so irritated with SP, Heather.

Leone V.

Leone V.asked

Long term customer ACC134847
No long distance call possible without constant dropping out of connection.
Inability to connect to Netflix , no internet provision.
Can only say the availability & speed is grossly substandard.
It is impossible to phone SP, without constant interruptions, we have been trying for months.
Please contact either me or my husband.
Leone Vrieling.

unhappy
unhappy

If your not on contract then leave to another provider, southern phones is a nightmare to deal with. If your on contract the only way these people will do the right thing is if you make a complaint to the TELECUMUNICATIONS ombardson , it easy will only take a few minutes, and they are legally obliged to deal with the issue, good luck southern phones is the Worst Telco in Australia

Hi Leone,
It is upsetting to read that you have had to go through this with your service. Especially in times like these when we are relying on our service to keep in contact with our loved ones.
Have you completed a power cycle with your equipment? This is turning the modem off at the wall for about 10 minutes, then turning the connection back on. This often refreshes your connection and will allow the service to stabilise and work better. *Darian

Andrewasked

Southern Phone Broadband

When can I expect a reply to my letter to David Joss which I sent a few months ago. I rang to check if perhaps he had died or left the organisation but the lady said no, he is still there. She said she would remind him but of course nothing has happened. I seem to recall there were around 17 issues I raised in my email to David. Just not good enough, and when the word gets around (which I am doing my best to spread) then customers will leave in droves and Southernphone will be a thing of the past. I have never heard of a company that relies totally on customers but which has a philosophy of treating customers like objects floating around a sewer. Andrew Frellek, Trevallyn, Launceston.

highcountry
highcountry

join the un happy club, I was not treated treated well either

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for reaching out. I am sorry to hear that you have not received a response to your letter. Are you able to respond to my private message with your account details so I may look into this for you?

HI,
I have replied to Yvette so you could contact her if you want my details. Andrew

Get an answer from our members and Southern Phone representatives

Compare all 7 Southern Phone Broadband
Standard Monthly Price A$80.00A$60.00A$70.00
Service TypeADSLMobile BroadbandNBNNBN
Packages AvailableBundle and StandaloneBundle and StandaloneStandaloneStandalone
ContractMonthlyMonthlyMonthlyMonthly