Listing monitored by Southern Phone

• Adequate Speeds Yes (166) · No (267)

no problems

have been with them for years ,had dropouts when n b n first started but that was taken care of.I have a small package wich does not break the bank,would recommend no problems

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so glad to hear you have been having such a great experience with us!
- Shayna

Jeff HAU

Horrendous NBN service

Absolutely horrendous NBN service.
Transferred my NBN across because all of my family's mobile services are with Southern Phone (out of convenience) and the actual service has been terrible.
I've raised multiple complaints in the past couple of months, and despite NBN supposedly fixing the issue and me having spoken with numerous staff since then who have 'fixed' issues from their end, the line always ends up dropping out. On top of that, these staff always tell me they will check in but never do.
Now, I'm trying to run a business from home, and as i type this, i'm hotspotting my mobile to give me serive.

Currently waiting for a second NBN tech to arrive tomorrow and would not recommend at all.

Jeff H

180512. Feel free to follow up but I'm not confident in anyone actually fixing the issues.

Choose another provider.

Poor NBN connection, am still being billed 4 months after cancelling my service. Go with SF if you want your time wasted and to spend a long time on hold.

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Disollutioned....
Disollutioned....South East Queensland, QLD

Dreadful Customer Service and can't provide service

Southern Phone C.Southern Phone

Hi Shelby. I have requested from Travis in resolutions team to provide me with his managers contact details but he has not responded. Again typical of the experience I have had with Southern Phone. My account number is ACC115362

Hi there,
I can see that you have been corresponding with Tyson in regards to this.
I have asked him to get in touch with you to address your concerns.
- Shelby

Internet Service Providers

Find out how Southern Phone Broadband compares to other Internet Service Providers

IJSSS
IJSSSGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Don’t put yourself through it!

Signed up with SF initially to support an Australian company. Never ever again, their staff are great but the whole SF business model sucks.. poor quality routers, wait for hours to get customer service let alone any technical assistance. Return email queries take roughly 2 weeks to arrive, always had billing issues. SF are just so SLOW at any sort of customer support!! They just always seem to behind the 8 ball.

SeduxenAU

Unreasonable bunch

Rectified faulty 4G broadband router resets itself frequently - faulty firmwares - requires almost daily setups. Tech. supp. rectified that is the issue with the firmware. Offered replacement when I have to return it - COVID days, the simple crossing the Bass Strait takes 2-3 weeks to the mainland - then when after physically inspected it - ??? days - sending the replacement - 2-3 weeks to arrive. More than a month without service while they do know it is a faulty equipment... Very low. Not mentioning the jacking up the contract price by $10/months without agreement or even notification???

ACC241529

Ian
IanPerth, WA

wont allow me to submit my review in regard to bad service

Phone disconnected by accident, advised would be reconnected, 5 days later and costs incurred still we have no service. We have not been provided a good service in this regard.

Southern Phone C.Southern Phone

Top Internet & Mobile Phone Service Providers in 2020!

Wendy Z.22 Nov 2019
top-internet-mobile-phone-service-providers-in-2020
JackieSydney, NSW

Excellent price, excellent service

Excellent service. No drop out problems. Only once I was on hold for about 40 minutes but that was during bushfires so perfectly understandable. Every other time is fine. The cost is fabulous and I am notified if I am nearing my limit.

Hi Jackie,
Thank you for your feedback, we really do appreciate this.
I am glad to hear that you account and service are going well, please if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us.

Jackie

No problem. I rarely do reviews but am very happy with your service. Bonus that it's an Aussie company and Aussie based call centre

Josh
JoshSydney, NSW

Rough start but connected within three days

Connection TypeFTTB (Fibre to the Building)

Marilyn Marsden
Marilyn MarsdenAU

I was directed to the area where I could repair my problem.

I have had any number of problems at times, all to do with the awful NBN fibre to the node but customer service has been there to help. I have been with Southern Phone for somewhere in the range of twelve or thirteen years now and remain very happy with their assistance.

Impossible to leave

They have continued to send invoices since I cancelled my NBN service.
The items charged are for services not provided.
Each of the last 3 months I have phoned and been "assured" by customer service that the account has been cleared. I received an email last month apologizing and assuring "You will not receive any future invoice from Southern Phone." Naturally, I received another invoice this month.

Hi Kenn,
I am really sorry to hear that you have still been receiving invoices.
If you can please send through your account number i will have a look at this for you.

LeelaSydney, NSW

Liars. Teams are not interested in assisting

Check your NBN plan!!!

I signed up for 100/40 plan 7 years ago (before Southern Phone) when Southern Phone took over asyium they offered me the same speed plan and gave me a discount free for 2 months (with a 500gb limited download and speed cap), since then i have never checked my internet account. Recently due to lockdown I have to work from home and I noticed that my speed is not as fast as before, when I login to my account online i can't see any plan information I have to call support to find out that i am on an 25/5 speed instead of 100/40. I was paying $90 per month on 25/5 speed for years. They can't even tell me when my plan was downgraded and support took more than 30min to get hold of. NOT HAPPY!!!!

Hi William,
I am really sorry to hear that this has occurred and for the delays when contacting us currently.

William G.
William G.

ACC109925 / ( Just a suggestion, in account detail (or any other place) please put information like what plan i am on and cost per month in there so i don't have to call support to find out.. !)

Bruce
BruceSydney, NSW

I continue to be billed after I have closed my account

After closing my home broadband account I continued to be billed. This cycle repeated over many months, despite assurances on the phone that it was 'all sorted' this time. Eventually I went to my bank and asked them to block the direct debit, as I felt powerless to do anything else.

Hi Bruce,
I am really sorry to hear that you have still been receiving invoices.
So we can investigate this for you can you please confirm your account number?

Dougy.
Dougy.Central Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Very pleased with the product.

Reliable. I have had the phone for two weeks with no connection problems. Everything is very suitable for me. I am happy with the current arrangements I have with Southern Phone.

Adequate Speeds Yes

Colleen G.
Colleen G.asked
Southern Phone Broadband

An NBN technician was supposed to be at my premises yesterday, 05/07/2021 between 8am - midday. We specifically made arrangements to be home the whole day. NO SHOW. No courtesy call from Southern Phones, NBN or attending technician.
Is this your normal standard of service?
I'm looking at other ISP's with very high ratings, 4.5 - 5 star. I wonder if they service my area?
Respond asap.

Leela

They just keep lying. Got my modem was told my nbn was right to go after that. Missed two days off work cause of this rubbish. Hope you get yours sorted soon. I’m still on the phone 2 weeks later.

Hi Colleen,
I am really sorry to hear that NBN did not attend the appointment and that they did not contact you to let you know what had happened.
Unfortunately we do not receive an update from the NBN Technicians until 24 hours after the appointment.
So i can have a look at this for you can you please confirm your account number?

D.M.C.
D.M.C.asked
Southern Phone Broadband

I have just had my home phone connected to NBN and I can ring out but I can't receive calls. How can this be rectified?

Hi,
If you haven't already, please complete a powercycle. This is turning your modem off at the powerpoint for 10 minutes then back on again. This will often refresh your connection and allow the service to start working. If this does not seem to work, please respond with your account number and we can review your connection further for you. *Darian

Heatherasked
Southern Phone Broadband

I thought my recent experience with SP was shocking( initial call was to report no internet , but immediately passed to their sales team ,why?, and pressurised into taking on a contract for 2 years , which because of being hard of hearing just could not understand most of the words that were being spoken in a fast mumble, agreed to being in a distressing situation having an extremely ill husband in Moruya hospital, where SP originally began years ago, Now of course sold out to AGL and apparently run on an oily rag, one can ring them and at leasrt 50 minutes later one may finally speak to a “helper” and I have done that many times over the past month, and what is really annoying to see an email pop up saying situation solved , and it hasn’t, one is still at odds with them, have decided to bring this up at AGLs meeting this week being a loyal shareholder, but not for much longer, and hopefully this might make it into the “AUSTRALIAN” business section for everyone to see what has happened to this once great service. Also their billing service is also woeful, full of mistakes, changed my account number without even the courtesy of a email advising this procedure, the list goes on and on, and I refuse to be locked into a 2 year contract
Healthier.

Glenda S.
Glenda S.

I would not have a clue what to do I have found then to be very helpful

Aaron Hayes
Aaron Hayes

yes their service is a bit spotty, sometimes they are falling over themselves to help and other times useless. Heather I also am hard of hearing and hate doing business over the phone because I always get it wrong and end up saying yes sir yes sir three bags full even when I have no idea what they just said. Fortunately most of the operators I have spoken with so far have had broad Aussie accents but maybe I have just been lucky.
I also contacted them to complain about 12 hour internet outages (see my post elsewhere in this review page) but i just got the usual "we're sorry". When I made a positive suggestion that they have somebody on duty overnight to post messages about outages on their phone answering service and website they did not want to hear about that. Basically Southern Phone is dead to the world from 8pm to 8am and it's impossible to find out any information about overnight outages. All I want to know is:
1. Is it only my place or my street / my area or is it a widespread blackout?
2. Is it going to be off for a short time or a long time so I can make forward plans accordingly?
Not blaming them for the outages which are usually NBN's fault, just blaming them for the poor communication. Then they wonder why there are 200 people in the phone queue which could have been avoided by posting an update on their website. But I guess they don't want to advertise their outages.
And yes I also complained about their INDEFENSIBLE act of changing account numbers and cancelling everybody's online account access (passwords just suddenly didn't work any more, without notice) and once again making unnecessary work for themselves by having a gazillion customers in the phone queue to ask the same question "why am I locked out of my online account access?"
Either they are clueless or they don't give a rat's about customer communication.

Heather

Your experience sounds exactly like mine Aaron, direct debit ,which had been going seamlessly for nearly 4 years, stopped ,faced with a bill with a different account number, I dismissed it and waited for the proper bill to appear in my email column, and a month later the next one came with a late payment added on, so on the phone to find out what was going on, but was repeatedly informed just pay up!, after much probing was told there had been a bit of a “glitz” in the new system ,no apology regarding their failure to inform their Customers of this fact, also was told I would have to ring their billing dept to restart direct debit again, which Idid not do being so disgruntled over this affair, and guess what , they started taking my payments again direct from my card! Words actually fail me at how this business is run,I was without the internet for nearly 3 weeks simply due to the fact my order for the new Modem, which they really pushed at me wasn’t ordered as promised, so made the delay much longer, can’t help wondering if these people are on bonuses for selling NBN to customers just fed up with holding on and on when there are so many other things one should be doing, and we accept anything just to get these necessary services back.I then lost my landline as well, went through the usual spell re costs if it was my phone, which it wasn’t , not that SP investigated though, but spent $150 buying a new set to be sure, so am determined to have a shot at AGL ‘s meeting this week, as I’m so irritated with SP, Heather.

See all Southern Phone Broadband questions

Get an answer from our members and Southern Phone representatives

Compare all 7 Southern Phone Broadband
CategoryInternet Service Providers and Mobile Broadband ProvidersInternet Service ProvidersInternet Service ProvidersInternet Service Providers
Standard Monthly Price $70.00$75.00$95.00