Specsavers

Specsavers

Online and Retail Stores
2.5 from 1,213 reviews

See the Best Optical Retailers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Gave me two pairs of glasses I didn’t need

Made the mistake of having a test just because it was two years since my first pair.
No deterioration in my eyes but the gave me two pairs of glasses that are too strong anyway. Complained nothing thank you for stealing from me

Store LocationTuggerah

5 Incorrect, Impossible Prescriptions and Butchered My $300+ Glasses

Staff are wonderful, honestly really lovely and professional customer service. I've Bought 3 sets of frames and lenses from here, each time costing $300+ for multifocals. I've had eye tests here 5 times over years. Never once was given a correct prescription; I went to 2 other optometrists and my GP for eye related health problems who looked at all 5 of my Specsavers prescriptions over 5-8 year span and said "none of these make any sense. the numbers are in the wrong places, this is literally an impossible prescription". +'s and -'s in the wrong places, numbers so impossible they indicate blindness, blank spaces left in columns that are impossible to be left blank unless I don't have eyes. Still baffled as to why this has happened every. Single. Time. For. Years. To make matters worse, I bought a pair of plain black frames from Specsavers a few years ago, and a couple weeks later, the screw in one of the arms quickly came loose and the arm fell off. I brought them immediately back to the shop to see if they could simply put the screw back in and tighten it for me. They replaced the whole black arm I had handed them with a bright RED arm and said that they couldn't find a screw that fit (I had handed them the screw and the matching arm), and refused to give me my original black arm back, saying they had already attached them to someone ELSE'S broken glasses!! The new, ugly red arm was off-balanced and sat diagonally on my face, rendering these $300+ glasses I had literally bought weeks before unusable. I'm a uni student, I don't make enough on minimum wage to afford new frames every week because of what I hope is just incompetence and not a scam; shopping at Specsavers wasted money I don't have, completely butchered expensive, perfectly repairable glasses and jeopardised my eye health with years of incorrect, impossible prescriptions.

Store LocationGreensborough

You get what you pay for and a bit less!

I tried specsavers for two years but each time they gave poor vision with my laptop. Fine for reading up closer. A bit of a conveyor belt feel and little assistance with which glasses suit. I’ve gone back to my optometrist and love the service. Only $50 more and superior product, service and testing

Store LocationBenalla

Woe full Service

Shocking my wife had new glasses made after her eyes being tested when they arrived & were fitted could not see 1.5 Mtrs so blurry person who tested her said you need to wear them for a while to get used to them. My wife refused to accept this & the tester said well you gave us the prescription after he was the one that tested her eyesight in the First place. Then offered to get another pair but said if they were not satisfactory she would have to pay for another test & glasses. She is not completely happy with the second pair either. Never before have we had such service. Previously for years we have always had satisfaction on the first glasses from other companies in the same area. Will never return to Specsavers.

Store LocationArmadale

Atrocious behaviour of a staff member at Plumpton store.

Horrible display by a staff member before the store opened. As I was driving into Plumpton Marketplace to do my shopping for the day a staff member of your store was being dropped off at the main entrance. I had no problem with this but then she started to talk through the passenger window of the 4WD. I still waited. After a few minutes I beeped to get them to move on as they were blocking traffic and myself. She stood back from the car and flipped me the bird and swore at me. I find this behaviour disgusting and to do it while in uniform reflects badly on the company you work for. I tried to get the abusive woman's name when I went into the store but she didn't have a nametag on. She was an older lady with long dark brown hair and bangs and it happened at 9.50am on Sunday 14/7/19.
All of my family wear glasses and are in-need of new glasses but because of the deplorable actions of this woman (I can only imagine what her customer service is like) we will not be shopping at that store. Such a shame.

Brilliant experience

My experience with Specsavers was perfect, contradictory to many negative reviews which are most likely fake. I booked my appointment and the welcoming atmosphere was positive, with all tests running smoothly, and the optometrist giving me glasses suited really well to my eyesight. Overall really great experience, and I think people who write negative reviews about such an excellent service need to get their eyes checked again ;)

Hopeless!

Received reading glasses and sunglasses yesterday. Had to go back today as the glasses were too loose again! I feel the lenses are way too thick in reading glasses and I am unimpressed. I will be telling everyone not to bother going there. This store is at The Pines Elanora and I am very disappointed and minus $200 for second rate service. Glasses still too loose!!

Store LocationThe Pines Elanora Queensland

Slow service. I got My glasses to put polarise on it. So far it’s 3 weeks still not ready to pickup.

Standard service. Only the slow process of the order that takes so long. They should do better than this. 1-2 weeks is acceptable but longer than this it is unacceptable.

Store LocationSt Marys

Don't bother completing the online complaints form!

I've been using Specsavers for over 20 years without a problem so I've never had to make a complaint. Their current 50% off sale is designed to mislead and embarrass you into purchasing items not included in the sale. When I complained in the store, the assistant said the manager would talk to head office. Not believing this i went and completed their online complaints form (there's no other way to make contact). After 2 weeks of waiting I decided to talk via Facebook, firstly on the messenger service.

After a reply that read "Hi Kevin, thanks for providing us with the store. As promised we will follow this up on your behalf. Submitting your feedback this way ensures the issue is sent directly to the right people able to assist you." I waited, heard nothing.

I then posted directly on one of their advertisements and Ben replied again "Specsavers Australia Hi Kevin, Thanks for getting back in touch with us and we’re sorry to hear that you still haven’t heard from our team. But worry not – your feedback is important to us and I will follow this up with the store on your behalf. Thanks, Ben"

Two weeks on and still nothing.

2 for 249 plus plus plus more like 799

2 pairs for 249 ended up being two pairs for 799 they don't tell you all the additional bits and pieces extras that were normal with Big W and other optometrists I just think the whole Specsaver thing is a scam should be wiped out
And when you tell them they look at you like you have 2 heads
Franchises at their best

Store LocationMerrylands

Deliberate lies

Six months after I had an eye check and bought expensive frames and coated lenses, the coating started to craze. I took the glasses back to Specsavers in Queanbeyan, where I purchased them. They told me it wasn't the coating. Now I can't see shit from these bits of crap. I've ordered glasses from another Optometrist. that Optometrist confirmed it was the COATING.
I WON 'T EVER BE GOING BACK TO LIAR FOOLS AGAIN...

Store LocationQueanbeyan

Brimbank Specsavers (Vic)

The store has No respect for time and treat customers with contempt. Brimbank branch of Specsavers is very badly managed by a person who lacks PR, and who is unable to reason or apologise for overbooking on the same appointment time. I advise everyone to keep clear of this store until the change of management.

Store LocationBrimbank Vic 3023

Never using Specsavers again

Specsavers put the wrong lens in my glasses, caused eye strain, then the ‘urgent’ replacement is not ready after 2 weeks. No offer of compensation. Nothing. Very poor customer service

Store LocationMacquarie Shopping Centre

Top service

Lots of bad reviews on here but our experience, on two different occasions, at Eastlands Hobart store is outstanding. Very efficient professional service and great specs at a great price. They really could not do enough to please you.

Store LocationEastlands, Rosny, Tasmania

Excellent customer service at Eden Rise, Berwick

Kerry at Eden Rise, Berwick gives the most Excellent customer service ever. Exceeded all my expectations and much more. An extremely pleasant experience. I am a very happy customer.
Highly recommended!

Store LocationEden Rise, Berwick

Incompetent optometrist

Took my 4 year old to the Mildura store because he developed a turned in eye, started squinting and complaining of double vision. A couple of quick tests and 3 minutes with the optometrist, I was told that my son was a little short sighted which is common and will most likely correct itself. Optometrist said to do nothing and let him out grow it.

My sons turned in eye and squinting became more regular so took him to a real optometrist 3 weeks later, who spent 2 hours examining him (including 45 minutes waiting for the drops) to tell me he was far sighted and needed glasses, and possibly a patch if the glasses didn't correct the turned in eye.

Don't take the risk with spec savers.

Store LocationMildura

I was rushed through in 3 minutes - ended up with wrong prescription

I visited the Waurn Ponds Specsavers to replace my glasses and update my prescription. After the preliminary tests performed by one of the sales staff, I finally got to see a proper optometrist - for all of 3 minutes. He rushed me through a couple short tests, gave me two or three comparison lens to choose which was "better" or "worse", and then rushed me out. I felt like I was on a production line conveyor belt of customers that were being seen as quickly as possible.

When I picked up my new glasses, they felt blurry and my eyes took a long time to adjust. I keep waiting for my eyes to adjust and they never did. It's now 6 months later and my new glasses are worse than my old script. I have to squint to see distances and my eyes get sore and tired after a few hours of wear.

In 25 years of wearing glasses I've never had such an experience. All my previous Optometrists (privately owned, not Specsavers) took a good half an hour to an hour to thoroughly test my eyes.

It's no wonder I'm stuck with the wrong prescription when the Optometrist sped me through in 3 minutes. Very disappointed and won't be returning. After 6 months I am making another appointment with a proper Optometrist and getting a thorough eye exam and getting new glasses. Waste of money.

Store LocationWaurn Ponds

Specsavers - where 50% off means 50% less

After receiving an email from Specsavers touting their 50% off sale, I headed in to choose a couple of frames. I selected two $299 frames with my choice of expensive lens treatments then received a total which did not include any discount. I queried this and was told the 50% off sale only gave you one pair of frames instead of the usual two.

I stated “that’s not 50% off if I only receive half as much” to which they replied “yes it is, you would normally pay double this and we would give you a pair for free”. I pointed out this was not mentioned in any of the literature I was sent or saw and this was really low, scummy advertising. I could only shake my head and left without paying. Way to lose customer loyalty, marketing geniuses!

Cheap and nasty

So picked up my new glasses last night - 2 for 1! Never had any issues before with new lenses. Tried on in store they felt not very good, loose and my left eye was going haywire and my eyes always adapt real quick. So last night one eye was just so blurry with new frames, then again this morning, kept saying something ain’t right.
So anyway sitting here took glasses off slipped them so lenses faced towards ceiling... only to see the frames are so bent out of shape it unbelievable, no wonder they felt yuck. Showed someone they couldn’t believe it, so I checked other and sure enough they're slightly bent as well but not like others, the other it’s actually one eye but is pushed in and other out, I suspect who ever put in lenses bent them out of shape.
I’ll call this morning and let them know! Can’t wait to hear what they say.
Don’t think I’ll go back to SS again, much better to pay a bit more and get quality glasses.
So I’ve just returned home!! First Lady says wow they’re way outta shape hands them off and lady starts fiddling with arms.. but the arms weren’t the issue!! It turns out these glasses had a weaker lens on one side which is why I couldn’t see, how did the optometrist do that? Back to wearing my old faithful still can’t see Clearly but at least their stronger. No refund and their making take another eye test next week! Not good enough at all.

Specials advertising is not only misleading it is actually corrupt

I had an annual eye test and though my prescription hadn’t changed much I decided to get new glasses. I was tempted to do this because of the sales hype, 50% of selected frames. I eventually decided on frames one of which had a 50 % discount. However when the account was totalled there was no credit for the discount. I queried this and was told that the discount only applied to a single frame purchase, Specsavers entire offering is based on a two for one offer. This is misleading, it is unconscionable, I will shop elsewhere next time around

I am under the care of an eye specialist. I have glaucoma but it has been managed for some years successfully with drops. However one eye is not responding as well as desirable and I have had a change of drops to be reviewed in two months. Am I able to have the optic nerve pressure measured at Specsavers Rosebud in mid term (4 weeks) prior to visit to specialist in 8 weeks? I only want a pressure test on both eyes. If so, cost please? I have private health and extras. Thanks Ian
I have had a similar issue. I had excellent suppport from Michelle at Vic Park WA Spec saver . Regular measurement of pressures over a number of months as I trialled new drops. No charge. She also referred me to an excellent specialist as I was not happy with the one I was using. I suppose it depends on the person. But just explain and ask for assistance.Many thanks. Ian

Does 25% off for over 60s still apply with the 2 for 1 offer?
Sorry Gemma, I have no idea. Better to ask Specsavers.

My wife's glasses are 9 months old, and the screw that holds the arm on has corroded, if they use the best materials why isn't the screw which has corroded and broken off, not covered by warranty. My cheap 15 $ glasses don't get this problem and I have them for years.
The Specsavers guarantee that I have states: (1) Satisfaction Guarantee "... if you have any concerns within 3 months of the date of purchase we will put it right. No worries, no fuss." My personal experience is that this is limited to one correction/remake per pair of glasses, not "any concerns" and it comes with lots of fuss by them and lots of worry by the customer. That's even if the correction/remake is the result of Specsavers' mistake! (2) Quality Guarantee "If within 2 years of purchase your glasses have any defects relating to material or production faults, we will repair or replace them for you, free of charge." If they refuse to help you with that, you could contact the consumer affairs body in your State and/or contact the ACCC. https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/complaints-problems (3) Service Guarantee "At Specsavers, you can always come in to have your glasses adjusted or professionally cleaned. This service is completely free during the life of your glasses."Yes well, I believe that the material used in the small metalwork on the glasses is possibly cheap and inferior, was told probably that because we are 3 to 4 hundred metres from the coast that would be the reason for the Corrosion, lived here for 20 years , never seen this problem on glasses before!That sounds like a cop-out on their part unless you've been swimming in them (in the sea). A phone call to consumer affairs wouldn't cost much.