Stiebel Eltron WWK 222 / 302

Stiebel Eltron WWK 222 / 302

222, 222H, 302 and 302 H

Heated up within 4 hrs from the start quiet operation and a great look.

no issue so far copes with our families needs well. looking forward to our solar power system to help out with the running costs soon. 302l is plenty for our families needs and worth the investment so far. only early days i will re post once the system has been operating for a bit longer.

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Thanks for sharing your experience. I look forward to hearing more about the running costs after it has been connected it to your solar PV system.

Incredible, very efficient compared to what we had

We've only just had it installed so I'll have a follow up review in the future. Initial impressions though are it's up there with some of the better investments we have made to our house. Not noisy at all as we've installed it under our house. A lot wider than the old one it replaced, required a new cement pad to sit on.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Thanks for your review. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying the new heat pump.

Stiebel Eltron 1 st class engineering

Only early days so far , First impressions ,quality German designed unit (made in Slovakia ), plumbing setup is standard ,will fit where your old unit was ,It is higher than most at around 1950 mm . Quiet operation , hums like a refrigerator , much quieter than others I’ve heard , energy use minimal ,this is what they are all about saving power . Back up heater element for heating outside of standard unit operating temps

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Thanks so much for the 5 stars. We are thrilled to hear that you are enjoying your new hot water heat pump and that it is saving you power.

Very happy indeed

I deliberately waited a few months now to write this review to be able to get a better understanding of this unit. Before the purchase I read all the reviews for the previous model (the 300) and I was a bit worried about the many negative reviews. I found an online retailer (not sure if I am allowed to mention this here but I try it anyway. They are called "Enter Energy and Water Saving Shop") and the gentleman there (Gary) was a treasure of knowledge that he was more than happy to share. He very much recommended this newer version heat pump and I can honestly say that I could not be happier.

It runs amazingly quiet for starters. I have it installed under my house and one of our bedrooms is only one single brick wall away. When the unit runs, a slight hum can be be heard in that room but only when everything else is absolutely quiet.

We are a family of five and I have measured the electricity usage of the unit for the past 97 days with a Watt meter (February to May). We used a total of 210 kWh or 2.2 kWh per day which means that since I run it on a timer at off peak rates only, we pay just under $100 per year for our hot water.

In comparison, my old electric system (stock standard Rheem) which did not run on off-peak rates only and did not have a highly efficient heat pump in it cost me around $700 per year to run.

The unit cost me $2,570 after NSW rebates, the approximate $600 savings a year give me a 4.3 year payback time - tax free. That, in investment terms, is more than phenomenal.

I am happy and highly recommend this unit.

Edit 11/05/2018: I thought about my numbers above a bit more. In the calculation I should have actually taken the price of the unit ($2,570) minus to cost of a "traditional" non-heat pump unit. My old Rheem had given up, so I had to put something there to replace it. A replacement unit would have certainly cost me conservatively $900, so it would be reasonable to just take the "additional" cost ($2,570 - $900 = $1,670) as the base for the payback calculation. That would result in a break even point of 2.8 years. And I would expect the energy consumption to go up a bit as weather and inlet water temperatures get colder in winter. But either way, one can see that this is a heck of a unit/technology.

Update Tuesday 19 June 2018: We have been without hot water over the weekend. Turns out a plastic (!?) washer near the top sensor of the corrosion protection system had cracked. That caused a little bit of water to spill in the area and the contact of the corrosion system itself to corrode and hence it lost contact. The unit is programmed to not start up if the corrosion system is not working.

The repair process was say 5/10. I logged an online request on Saturday noon and got an auto response email (but no reference number). That online service request somehow did not get registered and it took a few calls on Monday and follow ups to get the service technician to arrive. He was very nice and knowledgeable and very willing to explain things to me. All fixed within a few minutes, Tuesday afternoon. Oh, and that plastic washer is no longer used in new models. It is now a Teflon one I am told.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Stiebel Eltron Product and Company Integrity

We purchased and WWK 300A model heat pump exactly 6 years ago and it has run faultlessly until last week end when it stopped heating water. After a service technition recommended by Stiebel Eltron in Perth looked at he pronouced it terminal due to a gas leak inside the heater tank. As it was one year outside of the warranty period I was not impressed and contacted Stiebel Eltron Australia. Their response was what we all hope for in these situations but rarely get. Luke from the service team got back to me within the hour and offered a new WWK 302 heat pump at no cost to us other than the installation cost. The water heater was delivered the next day and installed today. I can only recommend this company and their products. Not everthing can be perfect - it how a business responds when something goes wrong that is the mark of their worth.

Date PurchasedMay 2012

Stiebel eltron heatpump

Stiebel eltron heatpump are leading the way in the hot water market as now we are able to truly help the environment and also pay back our financial investment compared to electricity in less than 5 years.
Its a no brainer!
An important part though to all, it must be installed by a licenced plumber who specializes with Stiebel.
Love german engineering

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Best customer service!!! These people truly go out of their way to help their customers. So impresse

I was r searching heat pump hotbwater systems. I dontacted several manufacturers. ONLY Steilbel Eltron replied withinn less than 24 hours. I had a long list of questions. EVERY QUESTION WAS ANSWERED IN GREAT DETAIL.
In addition, they also advised us on the best place to purchase the system locally at the bst price.

I then further contacted them regarding installation. They has so much patience and always gave me the best advice and I never waited more than a few hours for a reply...and always a thoughtful thourough reply.

I onlynhave this sytem installed a few days ( very quick delivery too) but somfar we are VERY happy with it. Previously we had a Quantum heat pump which I would never buy again. No customer service at all and the machine was noisy and kept breaking down.

I highly recommend Steibel Eltron. Great product. Breat people! We cannot thank them enough!

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Great product - Great Service

When planning to build our brand new home, we researched the for best Hot Water solution and ordered a new Stiebel Eltron Heat Pump. We wanted a reliable and efficient hot water supply. We received great service and advice and our new heat pump was delivered on time so it could be installed when the builders required it. We have now been in our new home for about 2 weeks and are very happy with our decision. The Stiebel Eltron Heat Pump is super quiet and delivers plenty of hot water.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Good service

I am writing you this email regarding Raniero Guarnieri . I have recently dealt with Raniero in regards to a Stiebel Eltron heat pump. I would like to tell you gladly i have been very pleased with his dealings with me.

He has been very helpful in dealing out my problems with heat pump. Raniero's knowledge of his work was deep rooted into real nitty gritty of his work . Im a technician working on one of your great heat pump. When i went into your office to pick up some parts i spoke briefly with Raniero but the interest he took into knowing what has happened to this particular machine was highly impressive . Raniero even took a note of the problem for future product improvement , which not many people at his level do take because most of the time they say im only a no. In the company , i can't do much about it. Management doesn't listen to me, i congratulate you guys as well on management side that you guys are running a co. Well where people feel valued. I sometimes deal with few engineers from other companies i havent found many of Raniero's calibre in dealing with the issue at hand. Raniero even rang me from his mobile to make sure i can finish the job properly so customer is impressed with the product.

I think he is a gem a real assett to any organisation.

Im writing this email because its normally when something goes wrong you hear it but when things are going right you don't hear it. Here is a guy who is doing his job well & he deserves a pat on his back for doing it better than others.

Thank you for taking time to read my email . I wish Raniero & Stiebel Team good luck in your future endeavors.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

So far so good!

We needed to urgently replace our hot water system with an energy efficient electric system. We have solar panels and after much research came to the conclusion that a heat pump was the most cost and energy effective solution for our set-up. Dan at Stiebel Eltron was very helpful. We purchased the heat pump through retravision commercial Osborne Park who gave a great price (much cheaper than competitors). We always have hot water, it's quite quiet (located behind our laundry) and our electricity cost has come right down to not much at all. So far so good!

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Fantastic Hot Water System

The WWK 302H Heat Pump unit is a superior hot water system to its competitors. It is very quiet and delivers plenty of hot water when needed. On top of those benefits it is also extremely efficient .I would have no issue recommending this product to friends, family or clients.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Just installed....I have some reservations.....

Upon reading the reviews on the 'Stiebel Eltron' unit, I was hesitant, as many are negative, going back some years, however, the company/Stiebel Agent I purchased it from assured me that as of 6 months ago, the units had been modified and quality upgraded, now running at an acceptable volume level.

The unit was professionally installed by a Plumber & Electrician, on 25th. April, 2017, who both were competent and gave 'sound' advise to my questions.
I live 12 Km South Of Hobart, in Tasmania.

Here is the issue....When the Sparky first turned it on, all that was running was the fan, and I said to him, "Is that as loud as it will get..." to which he said..."yes".
He left before the compressor cut in....!!
I don't think that he has ever heard one of these units in full swing...!

It 'IS' noisy, to an unacceptable level. At the point of Sale, I was told it would NOT be noisy. This was/is an important issue, to me.

So...I called up Stiebel on their 1800 number. They listened to me intently, and assured me that excessive noise, from this unit, is NOT normal.
They offered to send out a Technician to review and assess my complaints.

Today, 01/05/17 the Stiebel Technician looked at the unit, reporting to me that it is "running normal", with the volume of the compressor being "normal".

The 'fan noise' doesn't seem to be the issue, as the 'noise' is coming from the air intake side, where I am told the compressor is located. I am restricted with just where I can put a Hot Water cylinder. If I had more choice with the location of where this unit was placed, I feel that the 'noise' wouldn't be such an issue.
It surely is a wonderfully engineered system, that hopefully will have a long life span.

I live in a Retirement Village, in close proximity to my neighbours, so this noise is very noticeable, especially at night. A BIG 'plus' for purchasing a Stielbel is that they are 'VERY' fast in responding to issues. They listen, and didn't hesitate in sending out someone to look into the issues. Its no doubt a well designed system, which ideally needs to be installed in an area where the sound of the unit running, doesn't cause a noise issue.
I see the noise of the running unit as a 'BIG' negative.
In my case, its looking like I am going to have to learn to live with the compressor 'grinding' noise.

The Unit is doing what its designed to do, producing constant hot water, but, in my opinion, its noisy......so, I guess that the old adage, 'Buyer Beware' applies in this case.

Date PurchasedApr 2017
An update to my comment above..... Its been a month now, with this hot water cylinders running noise still being an issue. Its grinds away, continuously for upwards of 10 hours at a time...non stop. IF noise is an issue at your location, then AVOID this Stiebel product. I 'SO' regret buying this product, and, as for the dealer I purchased it from, being Stiebel Agents, they came to my home when doing the Sale, and knew the spot it was going to be installed, so, with this type of noisy heater being so inappropriate for this location, they should have advised me with more honesty. What I find interesting is that this Dealer tells me that the Unit should only run for 10 minutes at a time, when keeping the water hot, however, it grinds on, and on, and on, for HOURS at a time....for 6 to 8, or, 8 to 10 hours...day and night...!!!UPDATE.....Sat.9th Dec. 2017. Here are the negatives, after 8 months of using this Hot water system. Do I recommend this system.....{{{NO}}}...definitely NOT. It is VERY noisy......Extremely noisy to the point of being intrusive. If someone drops in, and it is running, they freak out at the noise. There has been NO drop in my power bill. Also.....NO...I do NOT recommend the place I purchased it from, being EGS...Hobart. Here is a positive... It does generate hot water....so, it works.....BUT...with EXTREME noise.

Awesome water heater!

We needed to replace our faulty solar pannels and the pump in the tank.The solar has been nothing but trouble so acter doing some research and getting a recommendation from a friend we decided to go with the Stiebel Eltron WWK302 system.

The install was done with minimum interruption for us and so far it's been great, hot water when we need it.

Worth mentioning that on some reviews that I read people were concerned about noise from the pump, yes you can hear it but it's a quiet hum that hasn't bothered us at all.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

So Quiet!!!

I've recently installed 6x Stiebel Eltron WWk-302 units at various locations.
Compared to the new units they are so much quieter, and no complaints from the clients.
We have also complete a few solar hook ups, great option!!!!! Simply and easily done, great selling point for some for clients who have are going to install solar panels.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Great savings on Electricity Costs....and excellent service

This Hot Water Service meets all of our requirements.
1. Very economical to run ...way under half our previous all electric hot Water Service Costs.
2. Very quiet. It sits outside our bathroom window and cannot be heard.
3. We have never run out of hot water.
4. Inexpensive to buy and install due to Victoria State Government Subsidy being available.
5.If going away for a week or so...turn it off...when come home turn it on...Hot Water Available very quickly
6.Trouble free.
7. Excellent back up service available.
8. A quality German Made product.
9. There are no negatives that I can think of.

10. Fast forward to Set. 2018. The heater has stopped working. In non technical jargon it seems a seal has failed and the resulting condensation has resulted in a power failure. On contacting the Hot and Cold Shop they were quickly on the scene...diagnosed the problem and had us up and running straight away. Return travel time for the electrician would be approx. two hours. That is excellent service and all done under warranty.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Thanks for your review about our heat pump. I am pleased that the Hot and Cold Shop were able to get it back up and running with minimal hassle.

installation instructions

I cannot find any product data on how much hot water at 65 deg centigrade these units can produce once a 300l tank is up to temperature and how long would it take for a tank just filled with supply water say at 15 deg centigrade to get up to operating temperature?
I don’t know the technical answer that you are looking for but even with lots of guests staying here we have never run the hot water down to a temperature that you couldn’t shower withThanks Tony Being a technical person I am looking for heat transfer data for instance to raise the temperature of 300l of supply water say at 15 deg in through to 65 deg out you need to have 300x50kilo calories of heat energy transferred 1 kcal is equivalent to 0.0012 kw If you know the time taken you can work out the heat transfer rate and get an idea of the the continuous flow rate achievable and the running costsWarning, it gets a bit technical. Here is the short answer: A traditional single phase hot water system that turns electric energy into heat (hot water) will in theory take a bit over 7 hours to heat those 300 litres from 15 - 65 degrees or in other words it can do about 41 litres per hour. For that is uses about 17.4kWh which will cost you roughly $4.20 in electricity. Heat pumps are way smarter than to just turn electricity into heat. Through clever engineering they can heat up about 3.5 times as much water using the same amount of energy. The way they are engineered, they still take about the same time (so roughly 41 litres per hour), but use WAY less energy (cost) to do so. Hint: Put the heat pump hot water system in the warmest possible spot outside, the outside temperature makes a big difference in the running cost for air to water heat pumps All numbers are theoretical numbers and do not include any losses. Real numbers will be smaller for the amount of water heated per hour and higher for the costs to do so. ++++++++++++++++++++++ Here is how I came up with my numbers. Please let me know if anybody finds a mistake. In theory 1 kWh (that's what you pay for on your electricity bill) can heat up just under 860 litres of water by 1 degree. Or, in reverse, for 1 litre to be heated up by 1 degree you need 0.001163 kWh (1/860 = 0.001163). Source: Play around here a bit: https://elementsofheating.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/how-to-calculate-the-kw-required-to-heat-a-volume-of-water-in-a-particular-time/ If you want to go from 15 degrees (inflow temperature) to 65 (in the tank), that is a 50 degree difference. Hence 300 litres to be heated up by 50 degrees takes 300 (litres) x 50 (degrees) x 0.001163 kWh (per degrees per litre) = 17.44 kWh. Even of you don't want to do all the math, just take this number. It takes 17.44 kWh to heat your 300 litre water tank. Your typical electric hot water system can run on a 10A circuit, or say 2400Watt (2.4kW). It will take that system 17.44 (kWh) / 2.4 (kW) = 7.26 hours to heat up that 300 llitre tank. And it can hence produce 300 (litres) / 7.26 (hours) = 41.32 Litres of how water per hour. What does that mean cost wise? Well, if you use a typical old fashioned electric water heater, it will take 17.44 kWh to heat up the 300 litre tank, at current prices and if you don't run the heater on a timer late at night, that will cost you 17.44 x 0.24 ($/kWh) = $4.18 in electricity. (Way more if you run it in peak time, half of that if you run it off peak, but it depends whether you are on a time of use bill or not). If you do that every day, that is about $377 per quarter. Plus all the losses incurred, so your bill will be way more than just this theoretical value. Now let's use some smarts and some engineering and move away from "making" the heat from electricity (as per above) and use a heat pump. A heat pump does not turn electric energy into heat energy, it rather just moves it from outside of your tank to the inside. Since the natural heat flow would be from the warmer (inside of the lank) to the colder (outside of the tank), it takes energy to turn this flow around (reverse it). The good thing about it is, that it takes way (!) less energy to do that than to turn electricity into heat. How much more efficient? Well, that depends on the system you buy and other environmental parameters, mainly the humidity of the air surrounding the heat pump (the pump is trying to take away heat from the air, remember) and also of course the temperature of the air. The warmer the air, the less energy is needed to get it into the tank. How good a heat pump is at doing this reversing of the natural flow (of heat) is given by the Coefficient of Performance (or COP). They vary from system to system and also vary with humidity and temperature (I am sure if we go through the manual for the Stiebel, we will find those charts showing the COPs). But the COP for water heat pumps is roughly somewhere between 3 and 4 - ish. So let's make the an average COP of 3.5. In layman's terms that means that if you give a heat pump 1kWh of electric energy, it can heat up between 3.5 times as much water as through a conventional electric to heat conversion heater. Back up to the calculations and in short: it will take 3.5 times less energy (cost) to heat up your 300 litres by 50 degrees (plus, you can easily run them on a timer and never allow them to run when electricity is expensive - which makes a huge difference). Nevertheless, the Stiebel unit to my best knowledge when running uses around 0.7kW (compared to the 2.4kW for a typical non-heat pump electric water system, which is, who would have thought, 3.4 times less). So, if I understand all this correctly, the heat pump uses about 3.5 times less power when running but can heat up about 3.5 times more water using that power through smart engineering - and that results on about the same time it takes for the heat pump to heat the 300 litres (or roughly the same amount of hot water it can produce per hour). Boy, that was way longer than I anticipated, but I hope this makes sense.

Can a hot water circulating pump be used with a Steibel Eltron 302H heat pump installation.
Yes, but the Return cannot be fed into ANY heat pump. A smaller recovery heater will need to be used for reheating. if is is a single dwelling, it is likely that a single plugin heater could be used. For larger commercial applications with a bank of Hotty's, you may need a 3.6kw quick recovery units. - Ultimately you will still have large savings over electric storage.

Similar listings