Stiebel Eltron WWK300A / WWK300AH

Stiebel Eltron WWK300A / WWK300AH

WWK300A and WWK300AH

Good till it dies.

Good for nearly 9 years but water leakage from top of cylinder led to total failure - apparently a common problem. Leads to corrosion and failure of heating elements at bottom of cylinder. Being European manufactured, I would say that they are not suitable for Australian conditions. Good initially but I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Purchased in May 2010 at Local Electrical & Solar Services for $4,000.00.

Noise Level
Household Size 1 person(s)
Functionality
Temperature Consistency
Heating Speed

Continuing problems

Purchased our heat pump water heater 4 years ago when converting house to solar, unit works great, continuous hot water at any time of day, however in the past 3 years we have had to replace the pressure valve 3 times, and now today 20/11/2018 it looks like it has gone again, has now come to the stage that we will replace it with a off peak model, very disappointing.

Date PurchasedOct 2014

Not fit for purpose.

I bought 3 of these machines in 2010.
Since then all three have been replaced by stiebel Elton under warranty. This was 2 years ago.
Now they are all failing again, 2 have stopped working in the last 10 days.
They are noisy and I had to buy acoustic hoods.
I have given up with them and have replaced them with instantaneous gas.
They are a joke $3k each and a rubbish product.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Terrible Service from Eltron

We bought a Thermann heat pump water heater through Stiebel Eltron (the same as this model) and it makes such a noisy racket that we can't have it on while we're home. It also leaks oil onto the ground around it. The service guy from Stiebel Eltron has come out but despite many calls in the 5 months since it was installed they've done nothing to rectify the fact that it leaks oil, or is way above the residential decibel allowances. Typically we call them, are told they'll return our call only to have nothing done. We haven't paid our builder who is now chasing them. In the mean time, we're stuck with a water heater that we have to manually switch on before we go out. I absolutely don't recommend Stiebel Eltron or this heat pump system at all. A terrible product & worse service from Stiebel Eltron. I totally agree with the previous reviewer Marcelle Ogg that 1 star is too high. Zero stars would be more suiting.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Just an update to add that nearly a year on, while still trying to chase them, we've still not got any service from Eltron. We've now installed a switch inside so that I can turn the nose box on only when no one is home so that we don't have to listen to it rattling the whole house down.

Stiebel Eltron WWK300A

I brought a Stiebel Eltron WWK300A back in May 2011, I live near the coastal area and it seems to affect those areas the most. Cylinders close to sea water erodes quicker. After 7 years now I'm thinking of buying something else having problems. Same problems as everyone else mentioned. Repair $1200 for call out and replacement of motor and cylinder.

The warranty only last as certain parts work. 1 year for all other parts, 2 years for Evaporator, 2 years for Compressor, 5 years for Condenser and extra expense may be after 3-5 years.
After Seven years having issues...

Total disappointment! Don't buy it!

Date PurchasedMay 2011

Failed after 7 years

Initially reduced our electricity bill substantially. Fan makes a bit of noise but it worked well and keep our water hot and our winters are often -2 to 5 degree mornings. After 7 years it started to leak heavily from the top water outlet which cannot be fixed. Our friend bought one at the same time and they have needed to hit the reset switch every morning for 18 months to keep theirs going.

Date PurchasedJan 2011

Failed - Garbage

I had a Stiebel WWK300A installed in 2012....it has been trouble for years. Stiebel kept telling me "it's only condensation" when all along it has been a leaking tank. Stiebel offer no after sales service or help. In 2016 after many weeks of waiting Stiebel reluctantly organised for their "recommended plumber" to inspect our heat pump.....I wasn't home when he supposedly repaired our heat pump (replaced a valve and sprayed rust preventative) . In 2016 the warranty was still valid, it expired in 2017.....I have recently had 3 independent plumbers inspect the pump and all agree the tank is rusted out and has been leaking for years. Why wasn't this picked up by Stiebel's recommended plumber in 2016 when the tank was still under warranty?. The unit should have been replaced under warranty. I contacted Stiebel in November for an explanation but all I got was an email telling me they are looking into the matter. When I telephone Stiebel and the call is actually answered I get the same explanation "we are looking into the matter" and it is now December. The staff at Stiebel are no help and at times very hostile. I could not possibly recommend Stiebel Eltron products, do not waste your money. 1 star is too high a rating....should be zero stars.

Date PurchasedJan 2012

Extremely disappointed - by the product, and also the company!

I was born in Germany, and I grew up with names like Stiebel-Eltron.
When I had my home built in 2010, I wanted it to be as environmentally friendly as possible and at the same time low maintenance. The builder offered a few hot water options, amongst them a Stiebel Eltron heat pump, and I happily went for the familiar name - a company that had been around for some 80 years - back then still believing in the quality myth that surrounds products 'Made in Germany'.
From the beginning, the warm water pressure was significantly lower than the cold water pressure, to a degree that filling a bucket with hot water took several minutes; so the internal resistance of the device has to be enormous.
The water was never really hot; the mixer tap always had to be on 80+ % to feel comfortable in the shower, but after maybe 3 years, the water temperature started to drop further. I called Stiebel Eltron several times without getting any helpful support. In the end, the water was just hand warm. Now after exactly 7 years, the unit is completely dead. It happened on a weekend, and when I called SE support, the phone just rang through, no recorded message, no way to leave a message, nothing. I then got the nearest hot water plumbing service to have a look, and for A$185 got the diagnosis that all the refrigerant gas had escaped and I needed a new hot water system. After the weekend, again I tried to ring SE, during normal business hours, and the phone, again, just rang through - several times. However, when I finally rang the number for sales, I got someone instantaneously... SE insisted that before they could give any comment, a refrigeration technician had to look at the system, who confirmed the diagnosis - for another A$ 165.
SE's position then was, that the pump was out of warranty, and while they would expect those pumps to last at least 10 years, there was nothing they would want to do for me, except for giving me a bit of a discount on a new pump. Over a couple of not exactly pleasant phone conversations, which involved discussions about the Australian Consumer Protection Act, the ACCC, and me mentioning that I could and would contact the German Headquarters, this eventually shifted to a significant discount.
I was not overly keen to risk another frustrating experience with a SE product, but it was the most economical solution - whilst still getting an energy efficient system.
The day before the SE appointed plumber was meant to replace the pump, I rang to confirm with that plumber and learned that the plumber had assumed that SE would send the pump to my place, and SE had thought the plumber would get it, so there was no pump available for the next day - and meanwhile I had been without hot water for around three weeks.
At that point, I decided that I had had enough of SE products, service (or lack thereof) and unprofessionalism, and contacted the initial local hot water business to have them install a heat pump from a different (also German) manufacturer. Luckily they could slot me in for the next day, and now after having had the new pump for almost two weeks, I am happy that I didn't get another SE - despite the 1k more that I had to pay. The water, for the first time since I moved into my home, is really hot (mixer tap just a bit above middle position is hot enough), and the difference in water pressure is even more amazing.
The plumber (and owner of the business) had a lot to say about SE heat pumps, but I won't write anything here that is not based on my own experience.
Summarizing, my experience with the Stiebel Eltron heat pump, the company's after-sales support and overall professionalism is extremely disappointing. I can neither recommend the product nor the brand in general. Contact me via PM if you want more details.

Date PurchasedOct 2010

Failed after 8 Years Throw in the Bin

Purchased 3 Heat Pumps in July 2008. I have had them running on a timer and all connected together..One had been running on for the last 12 to 18 months did not realise it was out of gas had the pump checked. Gas has leaked out around the tank somewhere. Have been informed to buy another one. Not sure I will buy another Stiebel.
Not very cost effective.The Pumps only run from 6am till 11pm each day in Winter and 6am till 1pm and back on again from 3pm till 11pm in Summer. The heat pumps are set up to store and back up hot water for a gas fired Boiler all has worked well? With one pump not working have not noticed any change in running cost as we run solar.

January 21st 2018 Update: Second one has failed did not last 10 Years

I just noticed that another Heat Pump is no longer making hot water as I have three connected together.
The Pumps only run from 6am till 11pm each day in Winter and 6am till 1pm and back on again from 3pm till 11pm in Summer. The heat pumps are set up to store and back up hot water for a gas fired Boiler all has worked well? I have only one Heat Pump working now. I will have to look at other options other than Stiebel Eltron. Not Happy! I paid a lot of money for the three Heat Pumps in 2008 not very economical when you factor in the cost of the units.

Date PurchasedJul 2008

Great product

Got mine about the 6 years ago under a government incentive program in SA. They can be a little noisy due to fan running but isnt too bad, they will run longer in cold weather.....i have a smart meter which allows me to boost during the day when ambient temps are higher. Have not had a problem with support from company as i rang them because i had concern with pressure relif valve opening a little, they sent a new valve which i havent replaced yet as i havent got around to it. Not an issue really. Temps do get down to minus 2 where i live during winter.....my brother has one as well and we are both happy. Overall a very good system.

Date PurchasedFeb 2011

Poor product, poor service, major disappointment with a German product.

Update 03/2018: 10 months later, no issue with the Sanden Eco, which I continue to recommend, though time is still to tell. Practically silent - truly, I can’t hear a thing.

Stiebel failed after 4 years and 5 months use. We live close to the Pacific Ocean. I don’t know if this is a factor, though the product was corroding. Their sub-contractor visited us (after we had to “chase him up" as he hadn’t returned our calls) but his attitude led me to ask him to leave before he had diagnosed the cause of failure.
He was abrupt at the door. He complained that this was not an emergency (I told him I never said it was).
I called SE to enquire about how to check the sacrifical anode (while the machine was open - what better time?, not to mention it may be relevant), because 1. the repair-man said it was not his job and 2. the manual has a boxed-warning: “ Triangle! PLEASE NOTE: “The sacrifial anode must be checked by a qualified contractor 12 months after the unit has been installed and checked periodically thereafter as advised by the qualified contractor. Failure to do so may void your warranty.”- page 4 of "Operation & Installation”. However, the SE phone consultant told me the sacrifical anode would absolutely not be the cause of the fault and point-blank refused to instruct the serviceman how to check it, despite my mentioning the manual’s warning. He asked me to call him back once the fault was found. But the serviceman complained that “you got on the blower ... before I had even looked at it”. I don’t know if it was because he was tired (he stated he was the only one capable of looking at it for a 50 km radius in Sydney), or because he was unwell (he said he had the flu) or because of communication issues, but he just completely misconstrued the purpose of my call. Having damaged my wall adjacent to the machine removing the lid (and distorting the cylinder) (and then saying its OK because it was hidden), I asked the serviceman to leave. Of course he was upset and gave me wishes of good-luck finding someone to fix it now as there was only him. I spoke then to the SE office phone consultant - his solution was to call the serviceman and apologise (!, needless to say) - “He’s the only one in Sydney who can fix it”.
That was my last contact with Stiebel Eltron’s Sydney Office. I was flabbergasted that a German Company can have such non-competent staff. Of course we are not in Germany, so any German quality product is only as good as its weakest link - the Australian final mile. I was contemplating calling the German Office, or the CEO and having my wife, who is from Bavaria and a Scientist, speak to him (or her).
But my wife, within 2 hours, had another technician at our home. The unit had corroded and was unsalvageable.
So!...sacrificial anode being the issue or not - we never found out - my wife and I decided to completely forget Stiebel and their Australian Operation, and purchase a new unit from a different company - a Japanese one - a Sanden Eco. Time will tell of course, but unlike the Stiebel, this is as silent as can be, has a stainless-steel non-rust tank, comes with a much longer warranty, and has no sacrificial anode to check. Only maintenance it needs is letting off the built-up gas pressure every few months.
We don’t care about the money in this case - that’s how bad Stiebel’s Australian Operations is. We want nothing more to do with them. I’m tempted now to give them just one star, but I think the actual product is not really that bad as until the end, apart from some noise, we were quite happy with it. But it didn’t end well.

Date PurchasedDec 2012
update 02/2019 - again , no issues a year later. Looks brand new.

Expensive, noisy, does not provide value for purchase price.

My heat pump died in October 2015 after 3 years 5 months of annoyingly noisy service. It was out of warranty of course but the real killer is that there was no service available to repair it - even the fellow recommended by Stiebel Eltron refused to work on it. I decided to write this review because I heard someone talking up heat pumps elsewhere. This is the issue though: They are expensive to buy and have a limited lifespan, and though they do reduce your power bills, they don't reduce them enough to justify their purchase price when you take into consideration that they break down, and that repairs are either costly or, in my case, impossible to obtain. These things ought to be under a 10 year warranty throughout, or not sold at all. Avoid. p.s. I second other people's comments that these units are disturbingly noisy. I was told it would sound "like a refrigerator". It sounds like about ten refrigerators.

Date PurchasedMay 2012

Great customer service!

I wrote the previous review 'Not Happy Jan' but now must retract some of my sentiment as the supplier in Melbourne backed up the warranty even though it was a month out and has just replaced the unit. The tradesman who turned up was polite, informative, skilled and helpful. I couldn't be more happy. The heat pump is producing steaming hot water, the unit is quieter and its no more cold showers for me! Thankyou!

Date PurchasedJan 2012

Purchased 2 units and both work just fine.

One unit has been in operation for one year, the other for 3 years. I have them indoors (laundry and garage) where you can hardly hear them but where they are protected from the elements. They are on a timer to come on when we are usually out. The water is always hot and it uses very little electricity (about 50 cents a day). They have never missed a beat. One replaced a useless Solar HWS which cost over $4000 and never worked. After that company went belly up I switched to Stiebel Eltron and so far I'm very pleased with their product.

Date PurchasedNov 2013

Stiebel WWK300AH - a lemon

I had my Stiebel WWK300AH about 6 years. After 1 year, the valves leaked and was replaced at no cost. Then 2 years later the thermostats failed to switch off when the water hot. The electricity bill costed me $200 for the quarter. It was then fixed with the cost of $264 even though the thermostats were provided free by Stiebel. Then when it just past the warranty period of 5 years by one month, the outlet get rotten and leak. It costed me $400 to temporary fix and Stiebel refused to pay for that or a replacement. Very disappointed with the so called "German Engineering". We paid a hefty premium for the well-known "German Engineering". I don't believe it was made by German. Very disappointed with the treatment by Stiebel when it past the warranty by merely a month or so.
Now, when it starts heating, it makes sound like 2 stroke engine for about 10/15 minutes. I just wait for it to die so to buy different brand. That day is not far away from now.

Date PurchasedJul 2010

Heap of Junk

We purchased a WWK300A approximately 6 years ago. Our first 12 months the product had to be replaced as it stopped working. In the past 5 years of I've had banana coast look at the tank each winter as something always goes wrong with it. If I'm been honest this product is a pile of junk the worst hot water system I've ever had i would not recommend your product to any one and after reading the reviews prior to today i would of never purchased the unit. I will be forwarding this complaint to the ACCC as I'm surprised this product has not been discontinued.

Tomorrow i will be back on the phone to banana coast to get them out and have another look at the system second time in 12 weeks. Yes I'm frustrated and unhappy due to the price you pay for a system you expect it to work but it has continually failed.

Date PurchasedFeb 2011

WHAT AN EXPENSIVE MISTAKE

In August 2009 I purchased a new STIEBEL ELTRON WWK300A in line with the then misguided NSW Govt emphasis on Energy Conservation. The installed unit cost $4,420 all up. We recieved a Rebate from the Govt of $1,050 so the initial cost was $3370. 2 years later we had to shell out another $445.50 to have the fan replaced. Over the last 6 months to date the Hot Water has been getting cooler and cooler until finally it went stone cold. As suspected when the Technician came out = "You have a Gas Leak!!" and it will be another $900 to fix this as well as the compressor is on the way out and that will be another $500. I decided that the best place for this 7 year old heap of crap would be the tip and had a new RHEEM HWS installed and running in 1/2 day.
My advice is if you think you are doing the environment a favour by shelling out huge bucks for a STIEBEL then think again !! It will cost you dearly and will only last 7 years.

Date PurchasedAug 2009

5 years of hassles

At least once a year we have to call a technician in to sort out our 2 x heat pumps. Unacceptable!!! We now once again have no hot water and we have 2 huge heat pumps. Ultra rubbish. I would like someone from Stiebel Eltron to come and fix or remove these heat pumps.

Dear Minky, We are very sorry for the hassles. We would like to help you as soon as possible. Therefore, could you please send your contact details to feedback@stiebel.com.au so that our service department can call you tomorrow morning and determine the best plan of action? Thank you! Your Stiebel Eltron team.

7 Year Failure

It appears that 7 Years is the limit of these units.
Same problem in most of post's i have read, the Technician Stiebel Eltron advised me to use told me that it had a Gas Leak and was irreparable due to Incorrect installation and Suggested Replacing the unit.
This advise cost me a Total of $467.50.

Faulty after 6 months now failed again

Unit failed after 6 months and now has failed again after 7 years .For this expensive item this is inexcusable ,I presume no warranty now applies. The Technician has said the gas has all leaked out and now I am without hot water in a family of four, who do I contact.

Dear Gonzo, we are very sorry for the inconvenience. Can you please contact our service technician Trent on 1800 153 135 or send a message to feedback@stiebel.com.au including your contact details so that we can give you a call and help out? Thank you!Technician said the rain had got to the aluminium coil around the cylinder and corroded it. Later models have closed up this path around the insulation, but mine is in the dump.