• Product is used
  • Safety
Marco

MarcoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Brilliant quality product

Very easy to start up (read manual)People that have issues I think is user error. Very powerful and easy to use, not too heavy and it's a 2 stroke so it's gonna make some noise but I love it. Modulates throttle well and auto feed cord is a god sent! Worth every cent highly recommend this to anyone.

Purchased in March 2021 for $379.00.

Bobb09

Bobb09Gippsland, VIC

Cannot get consistent performance out of this machine.

Purchased machine just over 12 months ago after using a Kawasaki-powered Spear & Jackson for 35 trouble-free years. I find this machine noisy, vibration prone and engine speed is inconsistent and hard to regulate. I had it serviced once, after telling the vendor my problem, they suggested my fuel was too old/too dirty etc. - I have been running 2-strokes for 55 years! I find I need to limit my brush-cutting to under 40 min. these symptoms become worse thereafter and the machine is virtually unusable.

Purchased in December 2019 at Marriots for $379.00.

Can’t see what people are complaining about. This works beautifully.

Purchased at Stihl Dealer.

JackoSouthern and Hills, SA

my gut told me to go with husqvarna, instead I went stihl. I wish I went with the husqvarna.

Purchased in November 2016 at Stihl Dealer for $378.00.

Very difficult to start

This product is good if it starts. Very difficult to start even in warm weather. I am not at all satisfied with this product. Think twice before you buy. It is two stroke engine.

Purchased in May 2016 for $350.00.

Mike, NW Sydney

Mike, NW SydneySydney, NSW

Upgrade made the grade

This product has developed nicely in the 12 years since I’ve been running Stihl brush cutters from H&G. The base model with the bent shaft was excellent with basic maintenance, infrequently. I replaced that with this model recently. The straight shaft is easier to use. It costs a little more than bent shaft model because of the components required, (design related).
Straight shaft benefit is in getting the angle to use as an edge trimmer. Flip it over and the angle is right. A bent shaft needs to be held at an awkward angle for edge trimming duty. The auto-feed line function has improved as well (both systems work well).

Purchased in January 2020.

Johnno

JohnnoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great machines!

I'm not sure why so many negatives about this snipper. I am a commercial operator and I give these machines an absolute caning, with little or no servicing and I have two of these. Cuts well, I use only still 2.4mm line without any issues. Do take a little bit to start sometimes, harder if have been heated by use often, but nothing major. Does struggled well with initial throttling after starting, but keeps going after persistence. Auto line feed is a godsend for me as a commercial operator and it works well most of time, besides when it gets a little tangled. Never want to go back to the dreaded bump feed heads....paid $350.00 each for my two fs55's and worth every cent for the money they've earnt me in my business....

Purchased in March 2018 for $350.00.

russy1

russy1Blayney

ok for the first 3 years but no good for long term heavy duty work

Was ok for the early years that i had it but damaged the conrod after 3.5 years not the right machine for a big yard of nearly 2 acres. Dealer service has always been top quality. Have replaced it with an 85 so far so good a lot better for heavy duty work

Date PurchasedAug 2014
McMatty523

McMatty523Bacchus Marsh

Couldn’t be happier

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Maurice

Maurice

Most problematic machine i've encountered

Date PurchasedApr 2013

A good hard machine

If you replace the auto line head properly it lasts for ages, and that’s using the same stihl string it came with. No parts necessary, just fuel and oil.
It is hard to start till you work out how. (Heads up, turn it on, set the throttle with the lock, make sure you have choke on. Pump the primer 3-5 times. “Look for fuel in the bulb”, then crank it till it first fires, turn off choke, then a couple more cranks it will spit into action. Mine never fails after I worked out what it wanted to start.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Don’t buy this what ever you do!!

I have had nothing but problems with this machine, it’s hard to start, line feeder is terrible.
Vibrates like hell (even though I’ve had it serviced by a Stihl dealer) stay clear of this product !! I paid $475 in 2016 thinking I’m buying a premium product, then in 2017 Stihl dropped the price to $370 !!! Why ??? Take a guess ?? I will never buy a Stihl product again....

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Don’t waste your money!

Avoid this machine! It is dreadful, truely dreadful. After owning it for 1 day I am taking it back mainly due to:
- being extremely difficult to start and when it does start it may just cut out as soon as you touch the throttle
- cuts out at random intervals and then will not start again
- feeder head chews through cord excessively

Ultimately I bought this as my first stihl producers and the product is unusable which is disappointing. I would never buy a stihl product again due to this experience.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Doug Coleman

Doug ColemanHunter Region, NSW

Frustrating Auto Feed

If I had of known about how poor the auto feed works I would not have purchased this unit. After a few hours use I had used all the cord. I could not believe it. My older Ryobi with the bump feed would last for ages. I replaced it with an after market bump feed head ($49) and it works well....so far. I should have bought a different brand that came with the bump feed head. I've had Stihl chainsaws (pre Chinese) and other Stihl products (Family business were agents years ago) and have been more than happy but this unit has underwhelmed me.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

If it works for me, it will work for anyone

I am a bad gardener. I thrash all my tools until they fall apart. This is still going well after years of heavy use and no maintenance. This is the first petrol trimmer I have owned. Even in a Canberra winter, it starts OK. Recommended for small to medium gardens.

Date PurchasedSept 2014

Find out how Stihl FS 55 R-CE compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers

ive got one my self and ive never had a problem since

iam happy with the cutting work of the machine its great and powerfull too yes i find it easy to maintain every 12 months and i do the maintance on it myself i look after it well and keep it clean aswell and the fuel that i use is moto mix

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Please think twice before you buy.

Very hard to start. If you use weekend to weekend, then it will take 30 or so minutes of back breaking effort to start. I do not recommend this product. It may be good for professionals but not for household use. Do not listen to sales people and others as after two three years, there won't be any service.

Date PurchasedMar 2012
Bradj

BradjHunter Region, NSW

Worst one I have ever owned.

Date PurchasedMay 2015
Scotty

ScottyCairns Qld

Very disappointed!!!!

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Diggz24

Diggz24Stittsville

Do not buy STIHL

Bought a new trimmer. A week later it wouldn't run. Long story short I've brought in to 3 different places and had to pay out of pocket not covered under warranty because they don't know what's wrong each time and stihl has a policy not to replace units that don't work, what a joke.
Almost $300 for useless junk. If I can even save one person from making the same mistake I made then I'm glad to help. Buy almost any other brand guaranteed you'll get better customer service. NEVER AGAIN.

Date PurchasedMar 2016