• Safety

Victoria Jonson

Victoria JonsonFar North Queensland, QLD

Dreadful

I bought this chainsaw based on the reviews. However. I seriously wish I'd never bought it now. It is an absolute nightmare to get going .Everytime I want to use it I have to return to the store to get the staff to get it going. I deeply regret buying it and wished I'd got and electric chain saw.

Purchased in April 2018 at Braschs for $250.00.

DogmanSydney, NSW

Didn't last very long - 14 months

. From the instructions - It was very hard to start. Had to watch a blogger on U-Tube explain
. Only used it a few times and at 14 months the motor seized up
. The dealer said "no 2 stroke oil in petrol mix". I don't believe this was the case. The gas (petrol) in the tank was the right mix of oil and petrol- we both could see that. Maybe only Stihl 2 stroke oil should be used.
. Not sure I'd buy another Stihl 170.

Purchased in April 2019 at GYC for $250.00.

Dogman

Please note -my review is NOT in any way to be a criticism of GYC - they are a very efficient and trustworthy dealer and I'll recommend them to anyone. My review is about my experience with my Stihl 170.

Handle is plastic $70 to replace didn’t last three trees

I waited six years to buy a Skihl. Got the warranty. look on the bottom. Plastic handle. It’s held together with a tiny piece of plastic on a spring cracks easy cheap Chinese junk now. You’ve been Warned by if you’re an idiot.

Purchased in January 2020.

Sean KMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Solid piece of engineering you won’t regret passing over you hard earned cash for BUT!!

Purchased in November 2009 at Gumtreee .

cheap rubbish

was ok to use at the start, used this chainsaw 8 times and nothing but troubles. under powered, no decent tuning ability and now it is not running in the high rpm range. it is unable to be tuned like most decent chainsaws and i have decided to bin it as the cost of repair does not warrant the return to service. i will go buy a decent echo next or a cheap bunnings chainsaw i think.

Purchased in December 2017 for $300.00.

Anthony

AnthonySouth East Queensland, QLD

Tree trimmer

We purchased this little beauty as it was cheaper than having our 30 year old one repaired after lending it to friend. (it did not take to well being run over by a tractor and slasher)
We use this model to trim back the smaller branches and trees up to about 250 mm in diameter depending on circumstances. It cut very clean and quickly so long as you keep the chain sharp. Light and easy to manage and use. Ideal if you have to be up in a tree to drop limbs. the only negative is that it appears to use more chain oil than the old model. All in all a great little a great little machine and great value for the money.

Purchased in February 2018 at Brisbane Mower Centre.

Chris U

Chris USouth East Queensland, QLD

Perfect for home!

Very easy to start, even after extended storage. You can double the warranty to 4 years, at the cost of buying a $15 (1L) bottle of oil when first purchased. Can feel a little under powered at times,especially if you haven't sharpened the chain in a while. Otherwise a perfect saw for home use. Pays itself off after 1 year vs a $99 throwaway saw just in its ease of use and reliability.

Dave

DaveSouth East Queensland, QLD

Bought after reading reviews, owning a Stihl Blower Vac and still having a bad taste in my mouth fro

A great little chainsaw, unfortunately I found it a little under powered than what I expected for the job I used it for and the first time I used it, having said that I have only used it once and at this stage have no requirements to trim other trees. At the time of purchase I was given free chain

Date PurchasedJune 2018
SimonG

SimonGCliftleigh

Great Saw

Fantastic Chainsaw.
Have owned it for 2 weeks and have used it for hours cutting up firewood.
The best thing I did was walk out of Bunnings ans givw the Stihl shop a go.
The price was not much more than the rubbish at Bunnings.
Easy to start and look after

Date PurchasedJuly 2018

bren

brennsw

top little saw

got one of these when we built on 5 acres ,a great saw , starts every time,i have cut down 50m trees with this , shouldnt of really ,but it done the job and saved me hiring someone else with a big chainsaw...no complaints about this saw , as a carpenter i also use it a lot on roofing jobs and other projects along with the usual firewood duties....i have had many electric saws that only last a year or 2 but this has been going longer than that and is in great order.....

Date PurchasedMar 2011

First saw I reach for.

I have owned my ms170 for over 10 years now and I never have any issues starting it. I do treat all my saws like my children. It gets used at least twice a week and never lets me down. Keep the chains sharp and the bar oil topped up and i expect to be using it for another 10 years

Date PurchasedApr 2007
Darrell

DarrellGoodyear

Junk worst ever

Worked great3 times. Took in to the dealer they said i mixed the fuel too lean. And scored the piston took the spark plug out bought a new one plugged it the coil wire gripped it my hand and got a Very little tingle!! Called Stihl got no reply back from the West coast rep. I only run stihl oil and fuel so much for stihl they are now selling Chinese don't waste your money on this saw!! If you're going to buy a stihl. Find out where it was made!! I own many of their products and love them

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Mully

MullyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Fantastic Little Saw

Colorbond

ColorbondSydney, NSW

Does okay processing firewood

I bought this chainsaw to process firewood for my fireplace. Only downside is that it can be a little hard to start. I mainly use it to cut gum branches and trunks. I probably should have gotten a model with a bigger motor but for the price, it’s good value.

Date PurchasedNov 2013
Craig

CraigThurgoona

Great value saw for price.

Bought this saw as we had been quoted $1600 to cut down a tree. Wanted a light weight saw. It was a 14m tall claret ash. Wood not too hard. Saw worked hard for a good 8 hours. Pruned the main trunk then trimmed the main branches. Cut a number of branches that exceeded the 14 inch bar length. So happy I vent out and bought a second hand 660 to cut fire wood.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

ImalumberjackandimOK

ImalumberjackandimOKMount Dandenong, Vic.

Absolutely top notch

I have been using this saw almost daily for two months.
It takes a good few pulls to start it initially but, somehow you know that it will start and, after that, it starts first pull every time.
It is light enough to take up a tree yet it can tackle some really heavy jobs.
This is my favourite and I can highly recommend it.

jeremy.ieraci

jeremy.ieraciDarwin, NT

Replaces a Ryobi

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Not Happy

To hard to start. Followed all the instructions with the choke procedures and this thing still won't start. Had to make multiple trips to the dealer at ACE Hardware. When you can get it running, it does a decent job. Lost to much time with this saw running back to the dealer.

Should have bought 2

Hands down best $250 I've spent on a power tool. I have 5 other chainsaws and this gets the most use out of all of them. Pruning, bucking, felling small trees, can't beat it. I often find myself on Tippy toes with this in one hand (gasp!!) and it's so light and easy to use I'm not worried about it kicking. My wife and the kids have all learnt safe technique on this saw. Follow the starting procedure and it starts on the 5th pull every time. Been through nothing but oil, fuel and chain. Why would you buy a Ryobi at Bunnings, honestly? 3 year warranty too.

Date PurchasedMay 2016
bretann

bretannMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great performer

I was going to buy the more expensive model but considered the amount of times it would be used, and I’m a cheapskate, it's probably the best $249 with spare chain, I have ever spent. Its lightweight, easy to start provided you closely follow the retailer’s instructions and cut through my 40cm (softwood) tree trunk like butter.

Date PurchasedMay 2017
See all Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss reviews

Garrett

Garrettasked

MS 170

Can a person put a heavier chain on the ms170?

StihlSaws
StihlSaws

Yes you can! It is the same bar/chain combo on the MS211.
Bar part number: 30050004813
Chain part number: 63PM55E

Robert G.

Your running a .043 bar and chain, u can go with a .050 bar and chain.. wouldnt recommend though because you power to bar and chain are mediocre you put on larger, it will require more power to run the loop and there for cut slower

Sean K

Sure can though dealers are instructed to tell you it can’t be done.
Some say it will void the warranty but if you spend the extra on Stihl parts you can argue the case easily provided you don’t go overboard.
Contrary to a couple of comments I’ve seen it’ll improve your saw a great deal though you’ll have to be mindful of bearing down on it, it’s just a baby after all, just take a little time & get used to its new & greatly improved character, you won’t be sorry.
See my review for details.

Rick

Rickasked

MS 170

I keep sharpening my chain on my mini boss but it just won't go through small pieces of wood just keeps burning through on matter how sharp the chain is what am I doing wrong?

Aaron D
Aaron D

Make sure you have the correct size file for the chain and are sharpening at the proper angle. Sharpen from inside to outside of tooth using a forward motion only. I initially had the wrong size file and it wouldn't sharpen the chain at all.

Woody
Woody

Hi Rick,the problem is the rakers, those bumpy things in front of the teeth. Get a small flat file and give each one a couple strokes, file in the same direction as if sharpening. Try cutting again, there should be chips not dust. Repeat this process, until chips are achieved. The more you file, the more the chain digs in. You don't need to do this every time you sharpen your chain, only when you notice dust or the problem you have now. Good luck and may you spit chips.

Robert G.

Stihl makes a offset file that has a flat file and 2 round files in the tool. Ie as you sharpen the tooth the flat file also takes the rake down to proper height. If rakes are not correct, sharp cutters will not be able to penetrate wood

Akila T

Akila Tasked

MS 170

Can fix a big bar for ms 170?

Compare both Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss