Stihl MS 170

Stihl MS 170

Perfect for home!

Very easy to start, even after extended storage. You can double the warranty to 4 years, at the cost of buying a $15 (1L) bottle of oil when first purchased. Can feel a little under powered at times,especially if you haven't sharpened the chain in a while. Otherwise a perfect saw for home use. Pays itself off after 1 year vs a $99 throwaway saw just in its ease of use and reliability.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Bought after reading reviews, owning a Stihl Blower Vac and still having a bad taste in my mouth fro

A great little chainsaw, unfortunately I found it a little under powered than what I expected for the job I used it for and the first time I used it, having said that I have only used it once and at this stage have no requirements to trim other trees. At the time of purchase I was given free chain

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Great Saw

Fantastic Chainsaw.
Have owned it for 2 weeks and have used it for hours cutting up firewood.
The best thing I did was walk out of Bunnings ans givw the Stihl shop a go.
The price was not much more than the rubbish at Bunnings.
Easy to start and look after

Date PurchasedJul 2018

top little saw

got one of these when we built on 5 acres ,a great saw , starts every time,i have cut down 50m trees with this , shouldnt of really ,but it done the job and saved me hiring someone else with a big chainsaw...no complaints about this saw , as a carpenter i also use it a lot on roofing jobs and other projects along with the usual firewood duties....i have had many electric saws that only last a year or 2 but this has been going longer than that and is in great order.....

Date PurchasedMar 2011

First saw I reach for.

I have owned my ms170 for over 10 years now and I never have any issues starting it. I do treat all my saws like my children. It gets used at least twice a week and never lets me down. Keep the chains sharp and the bar oil topped up and i expect to be using it for another 10 years

Date PurchasedApr 2007

Junk worst ever

Worked great3 times. Took in to the dealer they said i mixed the fuel too lean. And scored the piston took the spark plug out bought a new one plugged it the coil wire gripped it my hand and got a Very little tingle!! Called Stihl got no reply back from the West coast rep. I only run stihl oil and fuel so much for stihl they are now selling Chinese don't waste your money on this saw!! If you're going to buy a stihl. Find out where it was made!! I own many of their products and love them

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Fantastic Little Saw

Great little Saw. I spent about 2 days (half heartedly) resizing a stacked trailer full of green and dry logs to fit our heater, Avg size between 200-300mm diameter and didn't miss a beat.
I'd read a few reviews prior to purchase and was a bit sceptical but the price won me over.
The low down torque DOES suck, as mentioned in other reviews - but it's not designed for that, so it doesn't really matter. Keep the revs up and it's a little beast.
Light enough to sling over your shoulder when lumberjacking up 200m amazonian rainforrest palms.. probably. Which is good because if your like me and would rather get your 4yo kid to cut up firewood while you drink beers instead, then they're not gonna start complaining about sore arms for at least a few hours (hypothetically of course). Win/win.

Just don't expect to be felling 100 year old Oaks any time soon, not that it wouldn't get through it, you'd just need a packed lunch and no plans for the next day or so.

Does okay processing firewood

I bought this chainsaw to process firewood for my fireplace. Only downside is that it can be a little hard to start. I mainly use it to cut gum branches and trunks. I probably should have gotten a model with a bigger motor but for the price, it’s good value.

Date PurchasedNov 2013

Great value saw for price.

Bought this saw as we had been quoted $1600 to cut down a tree. Wanted a light weight saw. It was a 14m tall claret ash. Wood not too hard. Saw worked hard for a good 8 hours. Pruned the main trunk then trimmed the main branches. Cut a number of branches that exceeded the 14 inch bar length. So happy I vent out and bought a second hand 660 to cut fire wood.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Absolutely top notch

I have been using this saw almost daily for two months.
It takes a good few pulls to start it initially but, somehow you know that it will start and, after that, it starts first pull every time.
It is light enough to take up a tree yet it can tackle some really heavy jobs.
This is my favourite and I can highly recommend it.

Replaces a Ryobi

Now, I've had one chainsaw before and used it quite a bit. It was a Ryobi something or other. 2-stroke, had a longer bar and unfortunately was always problematic. It could be cutting fine one minute, then the bar would move ever so slightly and the chain must have then been just enough off angle that you'd have to 'slice' it like a physical saw to help it cut through a branch. Secondly, the Ryobi design got constantly clogged full of sawdust and bar oil.. the pinion drive wheel sprocket was fairly thin on tread and was badly worn after a few months. Bar oil leaked when in storage too.

The Stihl.. Wow, this thing's incredible for the price I paid! For the same $250 or so dollars it mops the floor with the old one. After cutting down 3x large Cottonwood hibiscus trees the chain hadn't loosened at all, there was no sawdust blocking the chain guide because it's designed well, the bar didn't budge and it sawed effortlessly through every piece. So much so I had a great time and wished there were more to cut! Really pleased with this little saw. To anyone who says the chain is low quality, do know that if a moving chain cones into contact with dirt your chain needs sharpening so that may be the problem because mibe seems fine. A chain will throw thinner sawdust as it gets duller so you need sharpening when the dust is no longer a little course. Time will tell but I don't think there's a problem with it. Love it

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Not Happy

To hard to start. Followed all the instructions with the choke procedures and this thing still won't start. Had to make multiple trips to the dealer at ACE Hardware. When you can get it running, it does a decent job. Lost to much time with this saw running back to the dealer.

Should have bought 2

Hands down best $250 I've spent on a power tool. I have 5 other chainsaws and this gets the most use out of all of them. Pruning, bucking, felling small trees, can't beat it. I often find myself on Tippy toes with this in one hand (gasp!!) and it's so light and easy to use I'm not worried about it kicking. My wife and the kids have all learnt safe technique on this saw. Follow the starting procedure and it starts on the 5th pull every time. Been through nothing but oil, fuel and chain. Why would you buy a Ryobi at Bunnings, honestly? 3 year warranty too.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Great performer

I was going to buy the more expensive model but considered the amount of times it would be used, and I’m a cheapskate, it's probably the best $249 with spare chain, I have ever spent. Its lightweight, easy to start provided you closely follow the retailer’s instructions and cut through my 40cm (softwood) tree trunk like butter.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Fantastic little chainsaw .. tough agile gets the job done

Great reliable machine .. couldn't get better value in this size of a quality chainsaw. Going to get a second for extra work we have, important to use fresh fuel and run it out .. we use 95 octane with Stihl 2 stroke and starts first time ..helps keep them clean and don't be afraid to
Rev out .. is a chain saw !

Date PurchasedMay 2016

small yet tough

Smallest of the range but very useful when you have only smaller limbs etc to cut. The new range of chainsaws seem to rely on revs rather than torque. All the newest models are extremely light compared to the models of a few years ago. As a result they all use finer grade oils so they can rev faster. A consequence of this design direction is that you must keep the revs up. Having said that this little saw is very versatile and light so that it can perform quite a few different tasks. Naturally it's more suited to wood 4-5 inches in diameter. Very good on fuel and the original blade is also long lasting and remains sharp. Hard to find a better saw.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

So good I got a second one

I bought this saw for my wife as my larger saw is to heavy/big for her. I ended up using this saw almost all the time with my big saw left on the shelf unless I am cutting large trunks. It is light and easy to use with far more cutting power than I expected. Have had the saw for about 4 years and cut many tons of firewood. I loaned it to a cousin who dropped it and damaged it so I bought a second one while the original was in for repairs (I didn't think it could be fixed, but the Stihl dealer was able to get the parts and the saw is running great).

Date PurchasedFeb 2012

WOW, surprised by what it has done!

Had mine since 2013. Its a spare second saw to bigger one. This little thing has got me out of trouble, cutting logs 20" diameter where the bigger one (McCulloch cs420t) has given up the ghost. This little babies motor has got guts for its size and its a surprising little package.

Like one of the other reviewers, the chain itself is disappointing. They can only be resharpened a few times before they are no good and are quite expensive. Purchased spare chains from eBay for a third of the price and has more bite and cuts out bigger grooves so bar doesn't stick into log after a few inches.

I worry a bit with fuel mixture 50:1, thinking not enough lubrication, so if I HAD to use another brand of 2 stroke oil, mix it richer (eg 30:1).

I've only cleaned it regularly after each use, removed sprocket / clutch cover to blow out the build up of sawdust and oil residue with compressed air and cleaned the air filter. It's always been easy start, usually no more than 5 pulls of the cord, after few months of storage. After refuel, 1 or 2 pulls of the cord.

Overall it's been a very good purchase, not disappointed at all, other than chain. It has paid for itself with the work it has done. Would have given it 5 stars if it had a better chain.

PS: If you're fresh in using chainsaws, I would recommend this and purchase an bench electric chainsaw sharpener as well, don't waste your time with files, unless you have plenty of time on your hands. It takes great skills to sharpen each tooth exactly the same by hand.
Cheers

Date PurchasedMar 2013

Great Saw

Paid $299 - Saw, Plastic Carry Case + Blade sheath, spare blade sheath, spare chain and a Stihl cap (joy) + fueled and oiled.

Absolute ripper of a saw. Perfect for smaller jobs around the home and probably medium jobs out and about if you were so inclined. Starts first time everytime.

I reckon you can get the saw for $279 on its own at the moment but the plastic carry case will set you back $80 by itself. Wait for a sale/special event if you can.

Absolutely no complaints from me.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Got MORE than I paid for

I wanted a small, budget chainsaw. Something I could easily work with around the yard, and something I could throw in the caravan for camping and wood collecting/bonfires etc. I knew what I was spending, and having had success with all Stihl products I had purchased up till now, I went with this one. From memory I think it was around $200. This thing is great value for money. I often worry about not spending much on things I expect to last, but that is not as issue with this chainsaw. Enough power for me and does exactly what i need it to do, and then some. I purchased from Stihl Shop Prospect in Adelaide and you cant beat the service there either! Knowledgeable staff. A couple of people have complained about the chain but I would hazard a guess and suggest they don't mind coming in contact with dirt and ground. You can spend thousands on a chain saw, ground and dirt will kill any of them. I've had a couple of hours use with chain still like new.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

See all Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss reviews

Can a person put a heavier chain on the ms170?
Yes you can! It is the same bar/chain combo on the MS211. Bar part number: 30050004813 Chain part number: 63PM55EYour running a .043 bar and chain, u can go with a .050 bar and chain.. wouldnt recommend though because you power to bar and chain are mediocre you put on larger, it will require more power to run the loop and there for cut slower

I keep sharpening my chain on my mini boss but it just won't go through small pieces of wood just keeps burning through on matter how sharp the chain is what am I doing wrong?
Make sure you have the correct size file for the chain and are sharpening at the proper angle. Sharpen from inside to outside of tooth using a forward motion only. I initially had the wrong size file and it wouldn't sharpen the chain at all.Hi Rick,the problem is the rakers, those bumpy things in front of the teeth. Get a small flat file and give each one a couple strokes, file in the same direction as if sharpening. Try cutting again, there should be chips not dust. Repeat this process, until chips are achieved. The more you file, the more the chain digs in. You don't need to do this every time you sharpen your chain, only when you notice dust or the problem you have now. Good luck and may you spit chips.Stihl makes a offset file that has a flat file and 2 round files in the tool. Ie as you sharpen the tooth the flat file also takes the rake down to proper height. If rakes are not correct, sharp cutters will not be able to penetrate wood

Can fix a big bar for ms 170?

MS 170