Subaru Liberty 4GEN

Subaru Liberty 4GEN (2003-2009)

4.4 from 37 reviews · View Details

• Interior Design
  • Boot Size
  • Features
  • Comfort

Solid car over many years

2005 bought second hand from dealer. Premium wagon. Driven on all roads and long distances. Just about to clock 375,000kms! Engine is perfect but everything Else starting to go. Suspension gone! Electric windows issues. Tailgate light always needing replacement. I dread having to get a new but the time has come. Servicing too expensive.

BoughtUsed
Year2005
Subaru Australia
SubaruSubaru Australia

ShameemSouth East Queensland, QLD

Best car in the world

I bought a subaru liberty in 2009. I got delivered a Subaru Liberty on the 1st April with 13km on the clock. Last Friday (31/07/2020), it ticked over half a million kilometre. Over last 11 years we travelled a lot together. The ride was and still being awesome. I have a BMW 430! convertible and ride of my liberty is no less enjoyable. I never had spent anything except normal wear and tear. Just got it polished and waxed and it looks like new again. I am so happy with this car and want to thank Subaru for delivering this little piece of gem.

Purchased in April 2009 for A$36,000.00.

BoughtNew
Year2009
Subaru Australia
SubaruSubaru Australia
ChrisR

ChrisRSydney, NSW

Best car on the road

I've had my beast for 9 years and its still going strong. It has been regularly serviced and the interior is as good as it was the day it came home,and that's with dogs regularly on board. I can confidently drive on the open road, its fast acceleration keeps me out of trouble when overtaking on hills and cruise control makes open road driving a breeze. The rear seats fold down to take extra long loads when required. It's just done a weekend in the bush, give adults and two dogs, all rode comfortably. Highly recommend the Subaru Liberty to anyone for any purpose.

Purchased in August 2009.

BoughtNew
Year2009

Charbel

CharbelSydney, NSW

Love the subaru liberty

2008 subaru liberty has plenty of power leather seats sunroof luxury edition popular car very smooth on roads steering wheel is smooth as well I clean my cars one a week always protected with wax the liberty's will not let you down

Purchased in January 2019 for A$4,000.00.

BoughtUsed
Year2008
Steven. R

Steven. R

A real great car for its time!

I love Subaru’s & when I was looking for one I was looking for the WRX at the time. While searching I found these awesome rides. Kind of like the luxury version of one I chose it due to having all leather interior (STi stitched), momo steering wheel, sunroof, climate control plus it was the STi model & looked sexy as. So I chose this 6 speed weapon & I am overall very happy with it. It had great legroom for me, a nice sounding turbo, great suspension package & awesome rims. The sound system is amazing for a stock one too! The only thing is I wished it had a slightly more throaty exhaust but apart from that (which can be modified) is overall a really good car :D

BadgeGT Tuned By STI
Date PurchasedAug 2015
Sophie W

Sophie WAU

Perfect

Good car and easy to drive, really cheap on fuel. Subarus are good cars because they are all wheel drive. I feel safe when I'm driving in the car and it's a reliable car to get you where you need to go, not much to fault on this car very happy

BadgeSport Edition
Date PurchasedJan 2016
Jake

JakeMelbourne

Beautiful and fun car to drive - excellent power

I have had this car for 6 months and it has been nothing but a pleasure to drive. I have not had a single issue with the car, except that i drive more enthusiastically which uses more petrol! the spec-b suspension is unbelievable. Interior looks modern and up to date even though it is 10 years old design. The mcintosh sound system is OK, i installed a parrot bluetooth to add bluetooth experience.

BadgeGT Spec.B
Date PurchasedJun 2017
iBennyz

iBennyzMelbourne

Perfect first car, very reliable

This is my first car and I love it. As the vehicle is AWD, it creates a smooth and controlled driving experience, in addition to that, the cruise control function makes driving so much easier. The interior and cosmetics of the car has a modern feel despite being a MY05 model. Unfortunately there is no bluetooth or AUX audio function, however with two cigarette lighter ports, it allows me to use a FM tuner to play music through my mobile device. It's current running cost is $55-$65 a full tank which usually lasts 1.5 weeks with day to day commutes. I've owned this car for over a month now and have had no problems.

BadgeSafety Pack
Date PurchasedDec 2017
commie

commieMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

The complete wagon.

Brilliant wagon. Not luxury but everything you need, comfortable, accessible, well designed, roomy, easy to service etc. The Liberty is a simple to maintain point and shoot wagon that does what a vehicle that it is should do. I use it for everything from everday travel to going camping and skiing and it's never failed me.

Badge2.5i
Date PurchasedSep 2010

Ken

KenNewcastle

2.5 ltr motors head gasket failure. USA forced a recall, but not here in Aus.http://forums.whirlpool

2007, 77k (as of 2017), full service. City only drive. Just told that the head is beginning to leak, 2500-3500 (some paid 6000) repair plus control arm rubber failing (price??)
This one owner car was to last my healthy aged mother till she can drive.
DONT buy any 2.5 subaru non turbo.
Ring Subaru Aus and tell them your thoughts 1800 22 66 43 (Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.00pm AEST).

BadgeLuxury Edition
Date PurchasedJun 2007
markir

markirRaumati

Great car, surprisingly fast

Bought a 3.0R Spec B late last year. Overall pretty good car - I've owned a few Subaru turbos over the years and wanted something different (no turbo lag in particular), The 3 Litre motor is just awesome. I was shopping for an auto wagon - but when I drove the 6 speed manual I loved it. So a quick assessment:
Pluses:
- really nice 6 cylinder motor, great response, surprisingly fast
- awesome Bilstein suspension
- great 4wd
Minuses:
- a bit skittery on rough road
- sulky key remotes - won't work if it is raining!
- chassis rigidity poor - needs front strut brace

That last point is hugely significant - with the brace installed is is a different car, a pleasure to drive and confidently push into corners!

BadgeGT Spec.B
Date PurchasedNov 2016
Louisa

Louisamelbourne

Lucy, my 2006 Tuned By STi Liberty GT

Dream car, made with care.

When Driving my 06 TBSTI, I know I'm wrapped in safety. She's spacious, comfortable, makes decent power, good on fuel and when maintained, will last for ages.
With the right child seat configuration, you can also fit 3 across. I also know, without kids seats, you can lay the rear seats down, and fit a 2seater couch in.
My Lucy has been tuned to make it more fuel efficient with an increase of power. Being 11 years old, she is getting on. But, I won't be selling her any time soon. She is my dream.

Badge10/10 tbsti

2005 Subaru Liberty - 9 years of ownership review

airlock

airlockSouth East Queensland, QLD

great wagon

2.0 petrol 2005. great car with tons of space and awd for safety. great handling with plenty of feel and grip. nice interior, cruise control is great as is dual zone air-con and a large amount of storage space in the compartments. the engine is a little weak and the car requires more frequent servicing then other alternatives, fuel economy is ok but the engine needs to be worked a little harder then some so this can impact your mpg if you like to get a hurry on. all in all a great tourer and more then capable of having some fun along the way.
space, interior, dual zone climate, awd, handling.
weak engine, high service costs.

Engine Size2.0
Bitpart

BitpartCanberra

Not one problem

2.5i sedan purchased new in 2007 and covered 65,000 km. The car drives better now than when new, smooth, quiet and handles beautifully, and I have only had regular services plus replaced tyres once, with no problems at all. Also still looks new inside and classier than many new cars that have lots of plastic trim. Downsides - petrol economy around town is not too flash compared to newer cars, although not bad on the open road. Main problem is that rear seats can't be folded down so even though the boot is large there are restrictions with longer loads.
Smooth, still feels classy, excellent handling, tours well. 4wd for those wet weather days.
Rear seats don't fold. A little thirsty.

Badge2.5i

kjp444Sydney

dailymocha

dailymocha

Good

A very nice pice of work, known as the Japanese BMW which says a lot. The new stronger 2.5l engine has a nice exhaust note. Pity Subaru hasnt mated the engine with a 5 speed auto, it needs it. Passenger seat does not lift, my wife is short and she cont see over the bulkhead
Great driving car, well built very safe and just the right size now that the kids have gone. Love the 6-disc MP3 player
Not much: the ignition key digs holes in my pocket, why does Subaru copy VW and make the key retractible? Why o why a 4-speed autonmatic box?