5Subaru Liberty 4GEN
Part of Subaru Liberty 4.2

Subaru Liberty 4GEN (2003-2009)

5Subaru Liberty 4GEN

4.5

zeekaz
zeekazSydney, NSW24 posts
  4GEN

The most reliable car ever

I can't praise my Subaru highly enough. Had since new and has never let me down. Show details ·  1
Tobey
Tobey2 posts
  Fair Incentive 4GEN

Great car! Comfortable, fast when need it to be, good looking. Only downside is the head gaskets don't last

I use this car to commute to places, personal use, I use it on average 4 days a week, Its serviced every 5000 km's, no issues except the head gasket. Show details ·  1
Paris P
Paris PCanberra 2600, ACT4 posts
steventhechef
steventhechefSouth East Queensland, QLD4 posts
Jane
Jane
  4GEN

Solid car over many years

2005 bought second hand from dealer. Premium wagon. Driven on all roads and long distances. Just about to clock 375,000kms! Engine is perfect but everything Else starting to go. Suspension gone! Electric windows issues. Tailgate light always needing replacement. I dread having to get a new but the time has come. Servicing too expensive. Show details ·  1
Shameem
ShameemSouth East Queensland, QLD6 posts

Best car in the world

I bought a subaru liberty in 2009. I got delivered a Subaru Liberty on the 1st April with 13km on the clock. Last Friday (31/07/2020), it ticked over half a million kilometre. Over last 11 years we travelled a lot together. The ride was and still being awesome. I have a BMW 430! convertible and ride of my liberty is no less enjoyable. I never had spent anything except normal wear and tear. Just got it polished and waxed and it looks like new again. I am so happy with this car and want to thank Subaru for delivering this little piece of gem. Show details ·  1
ChrisR
ChrisRSydney, NSW7 posts
  Fair Incentive 4GEN

Best car on the road

I've had my beast for 9 years and its still going strong. It has been regularly serviced and the interior is as good as it was the day it came home,and that's with dogs regularly on board. I can confidently drive on the open road, its fast acceleration keeps me out of trouble when overtaking on hills and cruise control makes open road driving a breeze. The rear seats fold down to take extra long loads when required. It's just done a weekend in the bush, give adults and two dogs, all rode comfortably. Highly recommend the Subaru Liberty to anyone for any purpose. Show details
Charbel
CharbelSydney, NSW8 posts

Love the subaru liberty

2008 subaru liberty has plenty of power leather seats sunroof luxury edition popular car very smooth on roads steering wheel is smooth as well I clean my cars one a week always protected with wax the liberty's will not let you down Show details
Steven. R
Steven. R9 posts
  4GEN

A real great car for its time!

I love Subaru’s & when I was looking for one I was looking for the WRX at the time. While searching I found these awesome rides. Kind of like the luxury version of one I chose it due to having all leather interior (STi stitched), momo steering wheel, sunroof, climate control plus it was the STi model & looked sexy as. So I chose this 6 speed weapon & I am overall very happy with it. It had great legroom for me, a nice sounding turbo, great suspension package & awesome rims. The sound system is amazing for a stock one too! The only thing is I wished it had a slightly more throaty exhaust but apart from that (which can be modified) is overall a really good car :D

Sophie W
Sophie WAU6 posts

Perfect

Good car and easy to drive, really cheap on fuel. Subarus are good cars because they are all wheel drive. I feel safe when I'm driving in the car and it's a reliable car to get you where you need to go, not much to fault on this car very happy

Jake
JakeMelbourne5 posts
  4GEN

Beautiful and fun car to drive - excellent power

I have had this car for 6 months and it has been nothing but a pleasure to drive. I have not had a single issue with the car, except that i drive more enthusiastically which uses more petrol! the spec-b suspension is unbelievable. Interior looks modern and up to date even though it is 10 years old design. The mcintosh sound system is OK, i installed a parrot bluetooth to add bluetooth experience.

iBennyz
iBennyzMelbourne8 posts
  Verified 4GEN

Perfect first car, very reliable

This is my first car and I love it. As the vehicle is AWD, it creates a smooth and controlled driving experience, in addition to that, the cruise control function makes driving so much easier. The interior and cosmetics of the car has a modern feel despite being a MY05 model. Unfortunately there is no bluetooth or AUX audio function, however with two cigarette lighter ports, it allows me to use a FM tuner to play music through my mobile device. It's current running cost is $55-$65 a full tank which usually lasts 1.5 weeks with day to day commutes. I've owned this car for over a month now and have had no problems.

commie
commieMetropolitan Adelaide, SA35 posts

The complete wagon

Brilliant wagon. Not luxury but everything you need, comfortable, accessible, well designed, roomy, easy to service etc. The Liberty is a simple to maintain point and shoot wagon that does what a vehicle that it is should do. I use it for everything from everday travel to going camping and skiing and it's never failed me.

Ken
KenHunter Region, NSW14 posts
  4GEN

2.5 ltr motors head gasket failure. USA forced a recall, but not here in Aus.http://forums.whirlpool

2007, 77k (as of 2017), full service. City only drive. Just told that the head is beginning to leak, 2500-3500 (some paid 6000) repair plus control arm rubber failing (price??)

This one owner car was to last my healthy aged mother till she can drive.

DONT buy any 2.5 subaru non turbo.

Ring Subaru Aus and tell them your thoughts 1800 22 66 43 (Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.00pm AEST).

markir
markirRaumati38 posts

Great car, surprisingly fast

Bought a 3.0R Spec B late last year. Overall pretty good car - I've owned a few Subaru turbos over the years and wanted something different (no turbo lag in particular), The 3 Litre motor is just awesome. I was shopping for an auto wagon - but when I drove the 6 speed manual I loved it. So a quick assessment:

Pluses:

- really nice 6 cylinder motor, great response, surprisingly fast

- awesome Bilstein suspension

- great 4wd

Minuses:

- a bit skittery on rough road

- sulky key remotes - won't work if it is raining!

- chassis rigidity poor - needs front strut brace

That last point is hugely significant - with the brace installed is is a different car, a pleasure to drive and confidently push into corners!

Catherine B.
Catherine B. · Liberty 4GEN (2003-2009)

2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0R 4GEN Auto AWD MY07
Timing belt or timing chain generally ?

Jago K.
Jago K. · Liberty 4GEN (2003-2009)

Hay guys I'll get straight to the point ive got a subaru liberty gen4 2006 2.5 and ive got like this bumping thing happening when I turn right.left aswell use to be only on full lock but now alot more even without accelerating it just bumps a nd make a dock sound im not sure its the cv's because it dose the bumping with out load and you can feel it though out the hole car doesn't happen when driving straight its perfect no sputter no nothing its sound going straight can somebody shine some light on my situation will be much appreciated

Mel
Mel

Steering bush

Liam Z.
Liam Z. · Liberty 4GEN (2003-2009)

Does the 2005 Subaru Liberty Premium Pack 4GEN Auto AWD MY06 have a timing belt or chain ?

Nickname
Nickname

No idea sorry- mine is the 2018 version

Subaru Australia
Subaru Australia   DM

Compare all Subaru Liberty listings
CategorySedansSedansSedansSedans
Starting Price $36,490$30,240$36,640$43,140
TransmissionAutomatic and ManualContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Engine4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.5L6 Cylinder 3.6L
Max Power127kW @ 6000rpm129kW @ 5800rpm129kW @ 5800rpm191kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque226Nm @ 4400rpm235Nm @ 4000rpm235Nm @ 4000rpm350Nm @ 4400rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release date