Sunbeam Barista Max EM5300

• Milk Frothing
Pavan C.

Pavan C.Sydney, NSW

Water leaking

I had it for about 7 months and the water started leaking all over. It had water puddle under it. Luckily it was under warranty otherwise I would have lost my money.

Purchased in July 2019.

Noise Level
Product is used Several times a week

JaneHunter Region, NSW

Can't live without this machine!

I simply love my SUNBEAM Barista Max - it's my favourite thing in the world (after my husband and kids).
It makes great coffee, is simple to use and is a neat little unit that fits nicely on my kitchen bench. We had a problem with the steam valve after about 14 months (the product was a few moths out of warranty) but after contacting Sunbeam, their customer care staff had the unit replaced for me and I have a brand new machine which delivers excellent coffee every morning:). Thank you Sunbeam.

Purchased in January 2019 at Harvey Norman for A$479.00.

Customer CareSunbeam

So Happy we were able to HELP Jane - Enjoy!

Joanne

JoanneCentral, SA

This is not good

We bought this machine 18 months ago and it was very good but now it leaks water every where over the bench and when you extract coffee water comes out of the steam nossel which is not a good thing.

Purchased in December 2018 for A$570.00.

Manual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines

Find out how Sunbeam Barista Max EM5300 compares to other Manual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines

mcoffey

mcoffeySouth East Queensland, QLD

Sadly it started leaking

Started leaking. Looks like the pump or connection to the pump as the brew water flow reduced too. The coffee is not as nice without the dual wall filter baskets which have to be bought separately.

Purchased in June 2018 at The Good Guys for A$650.00.

Nice coffee but 2 machines faulty within warranty period

Fist machine worked well for 5 months replaced under warranty due to water leakage from back of machine. Replacement worked well for 6months then started to leak water then stopped completely. Reported to service team twice no reply after 3 weeks also cannot get through via phone tried 4 times. Wouldn’t want another one

Purchased in September 2019.

MazSydney, NSW

Love it. Had one at work for a year so purchased my own.

To date great machine. Enjoying the coffee. Very satisfied. Good price too. Have one at work and home now too. Easy to use and clean up. Bought from Appliances Online and they were spot on! Really happy

Purchased in April 2020 at Appliances Direct Online for A$389.00.

Oliver

OliverSydney, NSW

Good coffee maker (for 11 months) but nonexistent support.

Machine has worked well for the last 11 months and has been quite reliable (bit of leaked water here or there) but after the last cleaning cycle a huge amount of water leaked out. It started making a rapid clicking noise and all the lights flashed on and off. I tipped the unit over and a lot of water eventually tipped out of the top part with the electronics. Later on it seemed to come back to life but barely any coffee comes out and there is a hissing noise - probably a faulty internal seal. Efforts to reach support by email or phone have gone nowhere so while the unit has worked well for a while, be wary of any problems you might encounter with it as you’ll be on your own - even in the warranty period.

Purchased in May 2019 at Sunbeam Australia for A$399.00.

bonus redemption claim on purchase of EM5300

I purchased this product from Harvey Norman recently. I lodged the online redemption claim last week for the coffee machine bonus which Sunbeam is running at the moment until early May. I didn't receive an email or notice acknowledging whether the claim has been received, so I sent in an online enquire form as well as an email twice, but no one from the Sunbeam has followed up with it so far. Can you please check and confirm it has been received and you are processing to send out the bonus gift to me? Cheers.

Purchased in April 2020 at Harvey Norman Retail Stores.

Amir M

Amir MSydney, NSW

excellent coffee maker for the price

This is a simple to operate coffee maker. I had another Sunbeam which broke and I got this one. The only problem was, the coffee basket was single wall so I had to go and order dual wall which didn't cost much - roughly $35 with delivery (for both single and double shot dual wall coffee basket).
I am very happy with it and certainly recommended.

Purchased in March 2020.

Hello Amir M,
Thank you for the great review.

Andrew

Andrew

Weak pump

Looks really great but doesn't do the job very well. Coffee maker struggles to pump through even the most coursely ground coffee beans (grinder set to 30) with minimal tamping and without filling the wand fully. Seems slightly more powerful in manual mode, but still with only the coasest grind. I've had it for about 3-4 months and it seems to be getting worse. Rest of the machine works fine.

Purchased in December 2019 at Harvey Norman.

Hello Andrew,
So sorry to hear that your machine it not performing as it should, please return it to your retailer for a replacement.

Great Machine

We have had this machine for 6 months. We use it every day and it makes great coffee every time. Bean quality obviously helps, and keeping the machine clean. Temperature of the coffee is good and it is really easy to use. I would recommend.

Purchased in October 2019 at Noel Leeming for A$399.00.

popo

popoGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Good expresso but my grinder settings seems to be wrong

Using it daily and does not meet a beat. It is not a professional machine but good enough for daily use. Eg. the frother wand would get your jug to jam against the bottom of the machine. No adjustment on pressure of frother.
My machine's grinder has to set it instead of mid range but almost the most coarse settings (to ensure a 20-30sec draw of expresso)
I am happy with it for what I paid.

Purchased in November 2019 at The Good Guys.

Product is used Daily

failed exactly after 2 weeks - can't push water through.

Bought it couple of months ago and making 2-3 coffee cups a day, but two weeks later after purchase pump decided not to pump the water through.
From the first day - water seemed to be not that hot as expected (not 92deg), but had no time to check it properly.
Two weeks later put usual amount of coffee and pressed the button - could hear it was working, but nothing was coming out into my cup. Checked water level - was 1/2 full. Restarted the machine - same.
Change the coffee in filter and did not compress it and tried again -water barely drips in a cup.
got back to shop for money back

Purchased in November 2019 for A$499.00.

Warren

WarrenHunter Region, NSW

Works pretty well.

Has worked fairly well. The grinder is very messy, spewing grinds all over our bench. Can only grind on setting 30 otherwise won’t pour. But otherwise good for price. Great coffee.

Purchased in October 2019 at Appliances Online for A$400.00.

Hello Warren,
Thank you for your feedback.

First one was faulty the second was used

I was very happy with the coffee my first one was making until large amounts of water were leaking out the base under the water tank. I just received a replacement and when I’ve opened there’s traces of coffee in the grinder. Very disappointed

Purchased at David Jones Online Store for A$400.00.

Anna T.
Anna T.

Thank you for the response. The retailer resolved the issue. I have photos which show the issue if you would like to see.

Hamish G

Hamish GCanberra 2600, ACT

Save your money!

I've just returned this coffee machine to Domayne and exchanged it for the Breville Barista Express.
I echo each of the points Ken made in his review:
- the grinder only produced coffee when on a setting above 20
- the auto grinder is incredibly messy
- the pump seemed underpowered and could never deliver a nice shot of espresso
- the machine began leaking in less than a week

Overall, purchase the Breville Barista Express and save yourself the stress.

Purchased in December 2019 at Domayne ACT, Fyshwick for A$375.00.

ken morganSydney, NSW

Disappointed, really wanted to like it.

Purchased in December 2019 at Costco for A$369.00.

Customer CareSunbeam

Thank you for your feedback and we hope you like your new machine.

ken morgan

If you read the review, i ended up returning it.

Customer CareSunbeam

Yes I did see that Ken - I did say NEW machine meaning not the returned one.

Rini

RiniLaunceston, TAS

Grinder issue?

Had the machine for a month and it's getting a bashing. Still working out how to make a good long black... But now all of a sudden it only seems to grind on the left, making a mess - now I understand what the grind basket is for, but wasn't doing this before? Did the full cleaning cycle, no change. Could something be wrong with the grinder?

Purchased in November 2019 for A$399.00.

llee

llee

Perfect until it stopped working within 10 months

This coffee machine was everything I had hoped for. Made amazing coffee, was easy to use, frothed milk perfectly. Then we noticed the machine was leaking. Thinking that either it was us spilling it, or just a design fault but not a major issue, we kept using it. Then the power failed and tripped our safety switch. Like many reviews below, I was guttered as this was otherwise the perfect machine. Due to being a known issue and within the warranty, sunbeam were good with the refund through the retailer. If I could be confident that the issue was resolved I wouldnt hesitate to buy this machine again, however judging from the rest of e reviews it seems unlikely that that has happened in this model

Purchased in March 2019 for A$480.00.

Mustie

MustieGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Machine Leaking

Hello Mustie,
I have sent you a DM with some options for you. Please have a read, hopefully we can make you a happy coffee drinker again.

Colleen M.asked

My machine is about 18 months old and has recently started leaking water through the steam wand when making coffee. today no coffee could be made, the water will not come through the group head at all. I have tried descaling, The light flashes. I had it cleaned with sunbeam cleaning tablet recently but it hasn't helped with the water leaking. How do I get this to make a coffee?

Jane

I had this issue with my machine after a bit over a year. It must be a fault with the steamer. I had it replaced by Sunbeam even though it was out of warranty. Perhaps it would be worth contacting them through this site. I found them to be quite helpful and am very happy with my new machine :).

Colleen M.

Thanks Jane for replying I will contact them as I did love the machine until recently . Couldn’t work out why it has stopped and how I could fix it .

Kim V.

Kim V.asked

Hi my machine wont turn on it's only 4 months old. I had the same problem with the old one which they replace under warranty. It's this a on going with the machine ???

Maz

We had a problem at work with pump and got another one under warranty. Been good for a year. I just bought myself one 20th april. So far so good. Take it back again

Traceyasked

Can u please advise
I purchased the sunbeam barista max Dec 19
Have had small amounts of water in tray after each use
Just thought the normal use daily
All good untill a few days ago
Water leaking out over counter & have done as the manual troubleshooting checks say but
Still leaks # hence this is dangerous as electrical product
Is this a manufacture issue as reading other reviews similar & can I get replaced or fixed anywhere local I am in SA( Adelaide)
I purchased from Good guys

Maz

I would ring sunbeam and maybe take it back to where you bought it

Dylan H.
Dylan H.

This happened to me too. The wand gave me small electric shocks when a touched it.

Tracey

Did u have any luck with the company by any chance ad I am not

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives