9Sunbeam Barista Max EM5300

3.8
3.9
Buying Guide Banner
Sunbeam Barista Max EM5300 Showcases

Official material from Sunbeam.

Read now

Jay Marquardt
Jay MarquardtSydney Surrounds, NSW3 posts
 Pinned EM5300S

Perfect coffee machine for home brewing

If you’re considering a coffee machine for your home and don’t want to spend a high price tag this one is great. Very easy setup. The coffee grinder works great. It’s compact. Everything you need. We are saving hundreds of dollars by not going to the coffee shop and to my surprise making equally good coffee right at home.

Purchased in .

• Product is used: Daily
Milk Frothing
Review your last purchase on ProductReview.com.au
Tiffany
TiffanySydney, NSW8 posts

Breaks at two year mark

Bought the machine in 2020 and after two years the machine stopped turning on. Contacted support who decided to give me a goodwill replacement even though it was out of warranty. It’s now been 2 years and the replacement machine is running into the same problem. Support won’t do anything as it is out of warranty and they had already provided a replacement. Disappointing since the same problem persists over multiple machines. Reading the reviews it seems that they break as soon as they are out of warranty around 18 month to 2 year mark. I would not recommend this product as it is not durable, I recommend gaggia or rancillio instead. Show details
Josh
Josh3 posts

Grinder failure avoid!

Lasted a year before the grinder played up. Replaced under warranty and now the exact same thing has occurred with the grinder. Don’t waste your money as I have! Show details
Dean_28
Dean_28Victoria2 posts
  EM5300K

Great Coffee machine, Love it!

I purchased this as my first "bean grinder" type of coffees machine about 4 months ago.
Needless to say I absolutely love it!
No issues and makes a Cafe type coffee easily! Easy to keep clean and very easy to use for the "beginner" Show details ·  1
James M.
James M.6 posts

worst coffee machine ever

would have to be the worst machine I have ever had. Wand didn't work well and descaling was hard to understand and didn't work at all. The barista plus was way better had longer time with it than this piece of crap.
Don't buy it Show details
Montana S
Montana SGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC2 posts
  EM5300K

Waste of money. Poor customer service

I purchased this machine 2 years ago for $550. Within that time my machine has stopped working due to a manufacturing fault where it leaks a lot of water, steamer does not work. Customer service for sunbeam have said it is out of warranty (which is only 1 year) and apologised. For the money you spend, seek another brand or save money and get a cheaper machine that will last you years. Show details
Pumpkin
Pumpkin Tasmania23 posts
  EM5300K

Must have for any coffee lover

So so easy to use! Fresh ground coffee right at hand for every cup. Seconds to heat up, easy descaling and cleaning.
Fresh, consistent,beautiful coffee everytime without fail.
Very impressive machine. Show details
Kimberley M.
Kimberley M.2 posts
  EM5300K

This coffee machine broke within two years - waste of money

At first I loved this coffee machine. But after around 18months it stopped working properly. It randomly spurts boiling water from the steam wand and has lost pressure in the coffee pour. I contacted both appliances online and Breville and they refused to help. For the price it should last more than 18months long. Show details
Dougal S
Dougal SSydney, NSW
  EM5300K

Do not buy always faulty

I have had issues with this machine, first time round they replaced it (after 6 weeks) due to it being completely faulty within one year, now my second machine (still within warranty) is having pump issues. My second warranty claim has been ignored and boarder line negligence. You would be better off with a Breville or DeLonghi. Customer service is very poor. Show details
Kara A.
Kara A.

Horrible Avoid

Just after 12 months of use the milk wand just leaking water every time you make a coffee. They replaced the item. Same thing happened. Now they won’t help, even though they know it’s a reoccurring fault. They shouldn’t be selling this item. Won’t be buying this brand again. Show details
Nick W.

Terrible coffee machine Show details

geraint.david
geraint.david
  EM5300S

Don't Clean or Descale!! It'll break!

After following instructions to clean and Descale my machine, water now jets out of the steam wand when I try and make a coffee.
The loss of pressure through the group head means, no more barista coffee...!
Very annoyed, dissatisfied customer that will never buy Sunbeam products again - and advise everyone to do the same.
Not wasting time or money on customer service and repairs - out with the trash and time for a better machine.
Thanks for nothing Sunbeam Show details
MLig
MLigSydney, NSW3 posts
  EM5300K

great coffee and great value for money!

What a fantastic coffee machine! It produces the best cup of coffee, at the best price out there!
No need to spend thousands of dollars on other brands, this Sunbeam machine does the perfect job!
i love the beans on board. You do have to get used to frothing your milk, but you get the hang of it - and become a mini barista. Show details ·  1
Sara H.
Sara H.Northeast, VIC2 posts
  Verified EM5300S
Ros B.
Ros B.South East Queensland, QLD2 posts
  EM5300K

THIS MACHINE WAS GREAT WHILE IT LASTED - but now is leaking everywhere and can't create a shot

Had this machine less than 12 months but now it is leaking water out of various joints in the plastic underneath top of machine. Was going great, but now this! Can make a double shot with many drips. Can't do a single properly. Cleaning has been carried out regularly. Is used to make three shots of coffee a day. Bought through Amazon - can they refund for such a sad scenario? Cost about $460 April 2022.
I have read other reviews on Product review.com.au. Have found many people with same problem. Sad - it was a great machine while it lasted.

Update: Have contacted Amazon and they will refund. Thanks Amazon. Sunbeam apologised that product did not meet expectations. Show details

Frequently Asked Questions about Sunbeam Barista Max EM5300

Why does my steam wand stop working and what can I do to fix it?

1. Steam wand tip may be blocked. See Product Manual, page 26 for cleaning.
  2. No water in the water reservoir. Fill reservoir with water. Run hot water through the steam wand to ensure water flows.
  3. Espresso machine has scale build up. A descaling cycle is recycled. See Product Manual, pages 30-31.

My espresso doesn’t come our right, what should I do?

See Product Manual, page 32 for troubleshooting guide.

What is the correct way to brew coffee with my machine?

We have helpful videos on Sunbeam's Coffee Hub to guide you through to the perfect cup of coffee: grinding, coffee extraction and milk texturing.

How do I clean and care for my machine?

The espresso making process involves extracting oils out of coffee grinds. Deposits of grinds and oils build up over time, affecting the taste of the coffee and operation of the Espresso Machine.

Purging water through the Group Head and Steam Wand, before and after making each coffee, is the easiest way to keep your Espresso Machine clean.

You can find the full care and cleaning information in our Product Manual, page 24 - 31.

My integrated grinder stops working, what should I do?

Troubleshoot through the scenarios below:

1. No coffee beans in the Bean Hopper. Fill the Bean Hopper with freshly roasted coffee beans.
  2. Hopper Gates are closed or not fully open. Turn the Bean Hopper in a clockwise direction. At Grind Setting 30, Hopper Gates are fully open. See Removable Bean Hopper section in our Product Manual, page 8.
  3. The Grind Chamber or Outlet is blocked. Grinder needs cleaning.

You can find the full grinder care and cleaning information in our Product Manual, page 28 - 29.

Why is my machine leaking water? What can I do to fix it?

1. Make sure drip tray is pushed tightly against the machine. Empty drip tray regularly to avoid waste water overflow.
  2. Make sure red plug on the water reservoir is removed and reservoir is sitting flush against the machine. Check for any cracks or foreign particles stuck on the valve / connectors on the water tank and machine base.
  3. If it's leaking from group head make sure group head handle is on tight and check for the seal.

If you require further assistance, we are happy to help. Please give us a call at 1300 881 861, from 10:00am to 6:00pm - Monday - Friday AEST.

My grind is messy and sometimes it sprays, what should I do?

1. Clean the residue from the chute before grinding.
  2. Make sure coffee beans are fresh. For some dry roast, measure enough beans for your dose, increase the humidity of the whole beans by stirring your measured beans with a damp wooden spoon handle before putting them into the hopper for grinding.

What is the correct way to use my grind's settings?

For freshly roasted beans, we recommend using a medium grind setting. As the coffee beans start to lose its freshness, turn the Bean Hopper clockwise in small increments to a finer grind setting to keep an optimum espresso extraction. Use the information in the Product Manual on pages 14 - 15 to help.

My grinder doesn't seem to grind finely, what should I do?

Troubleshoot through the scenarios below:

1. Grind Setting not correct. Adjust the Grind Settings by turning the Bean Hopper. See Product Manual, Tips for Grinding and Extraction, pages 14 - 15 .
  2. Top Burr not seated correctly. Coffee beans or grinds are caught around and under the Top Burr. Top Burr needs cleaning. See Product Manual Care and Cleaning, pages 28 - 29.
  3. Bottom Burrs needs adjusting. See Product Manual, Adjusting the Bottom Burr section on page 29.

Why is my steam wand so slow? It takes 20 minutes to get started?

Steam nozzle might be blocked by milk residue or scale build up. Soak the wand in soapy warm water to soften the milk residue, then follow user manual to clean and descale the machine.

My coffee is lukewarm or cold, it is not hot enough, what should I do?

The Barista Max allows water temperature to be changed from the recommended 92°C in 2°C increments to cater for personal preferences. For more information, see Product Manual, page 22.

My milk wand makes a horrible, screeching noise, what should I do?

When steaming milk, it sometimes produces a loud, high pitched screaming sound. This occurs when the steam wand is not drawing in enough air. This can be prevented by keeping the tip of the steam wand so that it's approximately 2cm in from the jug and no more than 1cm beneath the surface of the milk. Turn the steam wand on and adjust the jug with your hand until you hear the milk hissing. This is the sound it should make when milk is expanding.

When I use a standard espresso cup the machine spills my extraction outside the cup, what should I do?

1. Sit the cup on a raised platform. For example, place an upside down ramekin under the cup to bring it closer to the spout.
  2. Place two cups under each side of the spout and split the double shot into two cups. This method requires the coffee cake to be level and tamped evenly to ensure an even extraction and flow rate.
  3. Use a bigger or taller cup.

Where can I get professional repairs and spare parts?

You can get professional repairs and spare parts with our service agents

Latest Consumer Questions

OPS L.
OPS L. · Barista Max EM5300

My grinder keeps clogging up. I have cleaned it out 3 times and each time I try to grind again it gets clogged.
I’ve tried a new bag of beans and it’s still doing it. We have had the machine about 10 months and used the same beans.
Recently we were getting coffee flying everywhere and on reason reviews it was electro static and to use teaspoon end run under water and swirl through the beans. I think my husband put too much water in as it clogged the grinder the first time. Why would it keep
Happening? Everything is now super dry, clean and new beans?

Charlotte M.
Charlotte M. · Barista Max EM5300

Half of Coffee grind spilling out of the sides when grinding the beans all of a sudden. Also, the texture of the grind has gone very course even though I haven’t changed the setting, have played all settings and it hasn’t made a difference. Please help! Makes coffee average

Fran
Fran · Barista Max EM5300

I purchased my Sunbeam EM5300K Barista Max on 2.5.24 and there are some strange things happening. When you press the button for double shot they are uneven. I would expect when you press the steam button that you would wait for it to build pressure and it would show you it was ready but no. When you have the wand in the milk it starts then stops then starts again???? Previously I purchased an expensive machine which was absolute rubbish.... not Sunbeam and of course died a big death just out of warranty so want to be on top of this one. The best coffee machine we have ever had was one we got from Aldi. Go figure. Anyway any help and assistance appreciated. Thanks

Compare all Sunbeam Barista Max EM5300 listings
CategorySemi-Automatic and Manual Coffee MachinesSemi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines
Price (RRP) $649$649
Weight10 kg10 kg
Milk FrotherSteam WandSteam Wand
Bean GrinderIntegrated Burr GrinderIntegrated Burr Grinder
Coffee Bean Capacity250 g250 g
Manufacturer Warranty1 year(s)1 year(s)
Colour / FinishSilverBlack