Blanket is good, Control is questionable.

I purchaced the blanket in July 2014,In May 2015 one of the controllers ceased to operate, I spoke with Peter at Customer Care and a replacement was sent to me straight away. Yesterday one of the controllers ceased to function, whether it was the original or the replacement I do not know. There was no flashing light just stopped functioning. The first fault in 2015 was most likely a loose contact in the timer as it would work if turned upside down. The blanket is now well out of warranty and a new controller is in the vicinity of $65, so what is the choice, a new controller for a five year old blanket or a new blanket? if the latter what brand.

Purchased in July 2014 at The Good Guys for $149.00.

Hi John, Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. The controls on the electric blankets have delicate wires (as do the elements). Whilst not everyone needs to replace theses it can happen from time to time. Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Warranty

I was told that my King fitted electric blanket BL5174 by Sunbeam Customer Service was out of warranty (response no.00694568).I used for the first time in 2018 and now the element was faulty. I am very disappointed with the product and felt that it was unfair for me. It was supplied to the shop in 2015 but it was sold to me in 2017. As I do not have my receipt I can’t get replacement for that reason.

Purchased in December 2017.

Hi N.IB.P, Thank you for your feedback. It is definitely passed onto our product team. Without the proof of purchase we ask for a date of manufacture. If it is is well over the 3 years we are unable to provide a replacement. If you locate your receipt please call us on 1300 881 861 and we can review it again for you. Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Absolute Rubbish

Would give 0 if I could. Have now purchased 2 of these blankets and both stopped working due to faulty controllers. Controls just flash and don't turn on, happened on both sides of the bed and one of them didnt even make it halfway through first winter of use!! This is an extremely common problem with these products which the manufacturer has clearly not tried to improve. Save your money - these are rubbish.

Purchased in May 2018.

Hi Muppetvet, So sorry to hear of your experience with the blankets. I will ensure this is passed on to our product team. You feedback is taken seriously. Kind regards Sunbeam

Not Happy

I bought two electric blankets and both of the switches on both blankets are gone dead. I don’t know how to fix the problem. What does that say for the safety

Purchased in March 2018 at David Jones.

Hi Michael, I'm not sure what model you purchase but most of our blankets come with a 3 year warranty. You can return to store or give us a call on 1300 881 861 and we may be able to assist you with replacement controllers.

Worked perfectly for 2 years

Have never had any issues with this for just over 2 years but now it is dead on both sides, no lights no nothing and David Jones says “out of warranty” which is a shame I mean I don’t know many people who use it in summer so it could have broken months ago! I’d expect much better warranty for a higher end product like this!

Purchased in March 2017 at David Jones Online Store for $199.00.

Hi Bsmith81, this blanket comes with a 3 year warranty so you can return to the store for a replacement

Good warranty period

First bought this electric blanket in 2017 and it worked a treat. Went to turn it on in winter of 2018 and it didn't work. Customer service at Sunbeam was fantastic and blanket was replaced at Harvey Norman where it was purchased. There is a three year warranty on these electric blankets and you can get the remote and/or blanket replaced if there are any issues.

Purchased in July 2018 at Harvey Norman.

Hi Kat1968, not sure why this would be happening, they are usually reliable. Good news is of course it is still under warranty so you will be able to receive your replacement.

Controller broke within 6 months

Loved this at first. I have had it less than 6 months.Now one side has stopped working- the flashing light problem others have listed here. I wont be getting it repaired as other reviews listed here suggest this doesnt solve the problem.

Purchased in September 2018.

Hi v888, Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear of one side not heating in your electric blanket. Please refer to the below to confirm the actual fault. Electric Blanket trouble shooting: 1. Remove the control from the 'faulty side' and place it out of the way. 2. Bring the other control over to that 'faulty side' 3. Plug it into both blanket socket and power point 4. Switch it on and leave it for 20mins * If the control heats that same side- it is the original control that is faulty. * If the control does not heat that same side - it is the element. The whole blanket will need to be replaced.

Junk

Like others on this site, flashing light on the controller problem.
Was looking to buy a replacement controller & checked on ebay - 670 sold. Sunbeam is obviously selling a defective product to have had that many replacements.
Now the other controller has also got the flashing light problem.

Spending a lot of money doesn't buy quality when it comes to Sunbeam. To have that many failed blankets you would also conclude that Sunbeam don't value electric safety.
Avoid all their products & save yourself money & hassle.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Terrible, do not waste your money.

Purchased on June 22, 2018 after reading great reviews on multiple reputable sites. Well as of August/September 2018 one side of the queen bed electric blanket has permanently stopped working/broken. Use had not been excessive or against guidelines so very disappointed and warn others to not have to suffer the same cold pain in winter

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Lou, please contact our customer care team and they can assist - 1300 881 861.

Not happy

I have had to replace the control on two blankets now up number six. This was after I returned to Myer twice as replacement control didn't fix the problem.. As I am very careful when operating these controls I am certainly surprised at the durability of these parts. I have just had to pay out $103.95 to purchase one replacement and one spare from Ellis Electrical. I have always purchased Sunbeam products in the past .I had an original pop up toaster for over thirty years.

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Hi Petal, thanks for your thoughts, we do value your opinion and take it on board.

Have replaced it about 6 times in 4 years

One side always stops working. Usually they last a season but this year only 2 months. Luckily I purchased from MYER so they are happy to replace it every time it stops working. Did try a breville one too but that stopped working after 6 months so have just come to terms with the fact that I’m going to constantly have to replace it.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Kristine, so sorry to hear that you aren't getting a long life from our blankets, if you can pm your contact details we would be more than happy to give you a call to discuss.

Very good electric blanket

I've been very happy with this electric blanket since I bought it, and have used it all winter. It fits my high mattress, which has a pillow-top layer, with no problems. The dual controls allow both sides to be set differently, or just one side turned on if necessary. It has the usual variable heat settings, and a basic timer that allows it to turn off automatically after two hours. I use this timer regularly so that I can go to bed with my bed warmed up and electric blanket still on, but not wake up hours later overheating with the blanket still on. It was reasonably priced, and is a good, basic electric blanket.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Thanks for the great review HMac1!!

Double Bed discontinued ??

Bought at the best price from The Good Guys (Geelong) and so far very pleased with the blanket. Has a good feature of "turbo" heat-up in 15 mins, great if you are home late or forget to switch it on. Only use the heat for warm up and not during the night. Auto switch off after 65 mins which is a good safety feature. So far am pleased with the product.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
HI Davo767, so happy you like the blanket and the timer means you can drift off warmly to sleep without worrying to switch it off ......

good blanket

I had bought a new bed, a king single and needed a new electric blanket. At first i didnt like that the heat is mostly down at the feet, but after contacting sunbeam direct, i was assured they all are like this now. I have gotten used to it . So far ive had no trouble with the controller.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

SUNBEAM IS STILL CRAPPY

i thought after the Safe n Sound disaster SUNBEAM would've improved. searched here to see if i should chance another purchase. the number of stars has improved but reading through i see all the highest ratings are for new purchases. [if asked in the first few months i would've given 4 or 5 stars myself] the lowest ratings still complain about controller failures, so much for the many replies by SUNBEAM saying they would refer the problems to their technical department. i had 2 of them and all 4 controllers failed during the winters that they were on the beds or just wouldn't work the next time they were put on. the blankets are great, fitting easily and staying put. 4 x $75 + shipping NO THANKS
ANYBODY SUGGEST AN ALTERNATIVE?

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Terrible!! 0 Stars!

This is the third time these electric blankets have stopped working. 3 electric blankets in 3 years. This is not good enough!!! Yes they are replaced under warranty but it's just ridiculous that we have to replace our electric blanket every year. Very disappointed!

3 blankets in 2 years - controller faults

The controller has just faulted for a 4th time. We have had to return and exchange this blanket 3 times in 2 years. It’s a great warm blanket but the controls continuously faulting is a huge disappointment. Has anyone else had this problem? It’s April now and the last exchange was only just November last year.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

It was great until it stopped working just like others

12-18 months is avg lifespan of this product. If you don't mind taking the risk because it's on clearance go for it. But if you want a blanket that will last you many winters please don't waste your money. I feel stupid knowingly having read all the reviews that talk about the controllers failing and I ignored them because my old sunbeam blanket lasted over 10 years and I thought it wouldn't happen to me. But it did. Don't make the same mistake, don't buy sunbeam! PS sunbeam, please don't write a pat response that you appreciate the feedback and will forward to the 'xyz' team to look into - I would vomit all over my blanket. On second thoughts...

Date PurchasedMay 2016

if I could give zero stars, I would

Hmmm now I see that it's discontinued...I've bought two - both were duds. The controllers on both sides stopped working after a short amount of time (months, not years!). I thought sunbeam was a quality company - unfortunately the person I spoke to on the phone was one of the rudest people I've ever had the displeasure of talking to. Wish I never bought the second one, and won't buy another sunbeam product ever again after this experience. Considering the hefty price tag - it was only my blood that was boiling that kept me warm in the winter! Not this electric blanket.

It is amazing

It saved our life during winter time. The temperature increase quickly and stable. I use level 2 qnd in mid night i feel hot. I use level 1 for my daughter one and she love it. One bad thing is the fabric cover the electric core become stains for long use

Date PurchasedFeb 2017