Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000

Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000

EM5000K (Black), EM5000WR (White Rose Gold)
Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000 Showcases

Official material from Sunbeam.

• Product is used
  • Consistency
  • Milk Frothing
greg n.

greg n.

Great machine

Just got my new machine today and it's brilliant ,can't understand all the negative reviews,but there are more positive than negatives on machine ,you must read the instruction manual first and thoroughly. it makes great cappuccinos, it's well made and looks great on my kitchen bench. I give it 5/5 , Bought mine from appliances online for $169.00. I recommend this barista EM5000.

Purchased in October 2020 at Apple Online store for $169.00.

Hello greg n,
Thank you for your awesome review! Glad you are loving your Sunbeam Cafe Barista.

Erin B.

Erin B.Sydney, NSW

Makes the perfect coffee!

Easy to use and clean, can adjust the froth to your liking, and looks good on the bench. Coffees taste just as good as my fave local cafe- great buy!

Purchased in October 2020.

Hello Erin,
Thank you for the great review, we're happy to hear that you're loving the easy to use EM5000K.
Enjoy,
Sunbeam Customer Care

Rach S.

Rach S.

Quality Coffee, made fast!

Easy to use and requires minimal time to heat up etc. cleaning is much easier than other machines. Produces better coffee than my pod machine however is just as convenient! Big fan.

Purchased in December 2020.

Robbie

RobbieSydney, NSW

Great coffee

Makes great coffee, easy to use, and takes up minimal room. I like that you can use your favourite coffee beans, I much prefer this over using a capsule machine.

Purchased in January 2021.

Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

Find out how Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000 compares to other Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

min40fc

min40fcPerth, WA

Its ok.... needs some refinement

Purchased in December 2020 at Harvey Norman.

Mathew d.

Mathew d.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great machine for price, exceeds expectations

Great machine, very easy to use, purchased as second machine for occasional use. Was surprised how well the automatic milk frother worked, in my view better than other $1,000 plus machines. Only thing I would suggest is you need at least 250ml cups as you can't dial the milk back enough for smaller ones. Overall, looks good, makes good coffee, easy to clean and great price. Highly recommended.

Purchased in January 2021 at Target Australia for $159.00.

Mediocre

Fine if you like weak coffee and extremely bubbly milk instead of froth. The Cafe Barista produces coffee that isn’t even as good as a capsule machine. It really could do with a an extra, larger filter basket for making stronger coffee, and the milk frother is hopeless due to the lack of control - the minimum and maximum froth settings produce the same results - far too much air in the milk. I was hoping to do away with my old separate milk frother but I’ve had to keep it because of the useless built-in frother on the Cafe Barista, so I’m stuck with having two pieces of equipment on the bench top, which really defeats the purpose of an all in one machine.

Purchased in December 2020 at The Good Guys Physical store for $159.00.

Coffee123Perth, WA

Milk does not work

I recently purchased this machine. The milk does not work. It makes a clicking sound but no milk comes out. I have tried all settings and cleaned multiple times. Frustrating

Hello Coffee123,
Thank you for sharing your current experience with your EM5000K.
When placing the milk container in place you should hear a click when it is correctly pushed in.
Do you hear that click?

Coffee123

Yes I hear a click. I have resolved the issue by replacing the machine

Lauren

LaurenPerth, WA

Easy, cheap entry level coffee machine.

This is an easy machine to use. nothing fancy but saves you running out and buying a coffee. Machine makes decent coffee. I do have one question/concern is the Puck is always runny which makes it a little more challenging for clean up.

Purchased in December 2020 at Big W for $180.00.

MelJ

MelJ

More than a year on still 5 Stars

This is the third home coffee machine we have purchased and this is hands down the best machine. Great coffee! The milk frothing system works well- one button push to clean. We keep the container with any remaining milk in fridge between uses. We clean the milk container after 3 uses- so easy.
Highly recommend!

Purchased in December 2019.

Hello MelJ,
Thank you for the great review, we're happy to hear that you're loving the great coffee of our EM5000, it's a little powerhouse!
Enjoy,
Sunbeam Customer Care

Jocelyn race

Jocelyn raceSouth East Queensland, QLD

Handy but disappointing

I have had my sunbeam machine for about 2 weeks now and can see a visible difference in the amount of liquid in my cup, at first I had to buy a bigger mug as my mug was over flowing, I now have about 2cm drop age from the top of my original mug, I estimate a loss of about 49ml of milk. The machine also keeps spitting the milk container out and the milk stops, I have to physically stand there and hold the container in its slot now. Also have begun to notice the heat is not as hot as when I first bought it. I clean this machine at the end of each day of use. I bought this machine to avoid buying cafe coffee and have found myself going back to Mac Donald’s for their coffee because the sunbeam is not hitting the spot anymore.

Purchased in October 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for $199.00.

B.M.O.97

B.M.O.97Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Fantastic entry level machine

Some of the negative reviews had me second guessing this product however now that I have used it I couldn't be happier. Picked it up on sale at $173 from Appliances Online. Assuming you follow the instructions and actually let the machine warm up, the coffee comes out at the perfect temperature. Milk frother is loud but that is to be expected. Coffee comes out tasting great assuming you actually buy high quality beans. Would recommend for those that love coffee but don't want to spend $500 + on a machine.

Purchased in September 2020 at Appliances Online for $173.00.

Hello B.M.O.97,

Thank you for the your great review and constructive feedback. You're absolutely right, quality beans will always produce great coffee.

Chris V

Chris VSouth East Queensland, QLD

Don't waste your time or money.

One of these was bought for our work office and I am surprised how high people have rated it.

The porta filter is average. Trying to clean it is a pain and makes me want to use instant coffee again. The milk container is great in theory, but you can't fit a proper size mug under it and if someone leave milk in it (and they will) it will make cleaning a pain.

Purchased in September 2020.

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

Brad BurnsSydney

Disappointed!

Like many other reviews, my Barista stopped frothing milk (milk does not come out) after 6 months of use and the coffee is not hot after immediate dispensing. Way overpriced and I would not buy another Sunbeam product.

Purchased in November 2019 at Big W for $199.00.

Hello Brad Burns,
Thank you for updating your review. Glad we were able to help you replace your faulty unit with one you are now loving.

Pjay

PjaySydney, NSW

disappointing machine and support

I've had several low-mid priced coffee machines and am used to working with their different strengths and weaknesses however after using this Sunbeam cafe Barista for a week, I'm ready to return it. The main beef is that the coffee is luke warm and it has to be microwaved to make it drinkable. I looked at various YouTube videos to see if I was doing something wrong but there wasn't anything awry so I called Sunbeams customer service which was hopeless...the line quality was dodgy and he asked me to go on hold while he checked......after numerous minutes on hold, his suggestion was to plug it in to a different PowerPoint!
I get better results from cheaper brands than this clunky Sunbeam unit. Very disappointing!

Purchased in August 2020.

BeamerSouth East Queensland, QLD

Bit ordinary

Purchased in May 2020 at Big W Retail Stores for $189.00.

mike

mike

waste of money

purchased 2 months ago for $199 from Big W store.Generally only one cup a day of capppucinno but still very conscious of cleaning.During todays use random lights starting flashing then milk stopped frothing and ended up with half a cup.Reviews seem to be replied to when positive but i cant see any sunbeam reples to negative reviws.Very dissapointed with sunbeam

Purchased in April 2020 at Big W for $199.00.

Hello Mike,
So sorry to hear of this, I understand how frustrating that can be.
If you believe the product is faulty please return it to your retailer for replacement as it comes with a 12 month warranty period.

craig

craigWestern Australia

a few issues

this is a update from my review from 2019 im still using the machine and it does make a very good cup but the issues are many water holder cracked as it is plastic(dont use boiling water)it will somehow come loose mid coffee making and stop pumping when i push it down it starts pumping again the milk frother top is not see threw so it has to be unscrewed and opened every week or so to clean and last thing is the DESCALING the manual says use vinegar which does not work (PROPER DESCALER into watertank then pumped out from milk frother)machine really becomes temperamental when it needs cleaned foul coffee and no milk frothing SO it is worth buying for a good cup of coffee but the other issues can be a hassle

Purchased at Big W for $150.00.

Sue Williams

Sue WilliamsCentral West, NSW

This is a fantastic coffee machine

I brought this coffee machine after reading reviews from other people and it is the best appliance I have ever brought. This is truly automatic, milk comes out hot and plently of froth. Simple to use and once I played around with the buttons makes me the perfect cappuccino. I am writing this review as I was grateful for the other people who also wrote reviews that helped me make this purchase. I also use it to make hot Milo and Hot Chocolate. Cleaning is also a breeze as it has a self cleaning button.

Purchased in June 2020 at Big W for $179.00.

Hello Sue Williams,
Thank you for the AWESOME review and great feedback!

AG1986

AG1986Sydney, NSW

The reviews where correct

Wanted a coffee maker that is not too expensive but does a great job and this coffee maker did not disappoint. I also like that i dont have to hold the frother when making it which is so convenient. I have been recommending it to friends.

Purchased in March 2020 at Myer for $199.00.

Frequently Asked Questions about Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000

My coffee is not hot enough, what should I do?

Preheat the group head by running an espresso cycle without coffee. Preheat the coffee cup with hot water and empty the hot water before dispensing the coffee in the cup.

How do I clean and care for my machine?

Once you are done preparing your beverage with milk, you can either store the unit’s milk reservoir with milk directly in the refrigerator or completely clean the milk reservoir. Refer to the instruction booklet for cleaning instructions.

My coffee tasted bitter and the used coffee grounds are sloppy, what can I do?

Espresso that pours slower is stronger in flavour as the coffee solids have more time to dissolve and may be over extracted. If the shot pours too slowly due to the grind being too fine, the espresso will taste bitter. You need to make your coffee grinds coarser so that the water is not so restricted. Do not tamp too hard.

I can't seem to get consistent froth despite changing the setting from minimum to maximum, what should I do?

Chill milk prior to making a cappuccino or latte. Follow the instructions to clean the milk reservoir and frothing tube.

How do I make different coffees with this machine - cappuccino, latte etc?

Café Barista is an automatic milk coffee machine with one-touch control panel for drink selection. Simply select your beverage of choice with the touch of a button: espresso, latte or cappuccino.

My milk is bubbly and not smooth, what should I do?

Chill milk prior to making a cappuccino or latte. Use the manual Froth button to customise the froth to your liking.

I still get too much froth after setting the dial to a minimum, what should I do?

Use milk with a higher fat content, such as full cream milk. Fat works against the protein in ‘connecting’ with air bubbles. Avoid skim milk. Try adding the milk foam first, then adding coffee (or other beverages) to the milk foam.

Why does my machine take a long time to stop blinking?

Machine will blink while warming up. This is normal.

Why does water remain in the coffee basket after each use? It seems like the basket doesn't drain well?

Coffee grinds may be trapped inside the filter basket. Insert a cleaning wire into the hole of the filter basket to dislodge any trapped coffee grinds.

My machine makes no froth at all, what should I do?

Ensure there is enough water in the water reservoir. Follow the instructions to clean the milk reservoir & frothing tube.

Latest Consumer Questions

Shellasked

Cafe Barista EM5000

ago

CAFE BARISTA EM5000
the reservoir tank is not working & I have filled to max level, replaced the water reservoir (same with milk reservoir) pressed latte button twice and no water.... I noted when I remove the water tank and replace, only one small bubble comes up. I have already descaled both the water reservoir and milk frother and not working?

Hi Shell,
Firstly can I ask how old is the machine?.

2 years

Hi Shell,
I have just sent you a private message if you could kindly respond via that please.

Garyasked

Cafe Barista EM5000

I have the same problem as many others. Plenty of steam from milk reservoir but little milk. Regularly cleaned and descaled, about 7 months old. Was a great little machine, not so sure now.

Hi Gary,
Can I ask have you tried cleaning the milk reservoir and frothed milk dispensing tube?. If you refer to page 15 of the product manual attached this will show you how to do this. https://sunbeam-s3-production.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/EM5000_20EM1_20_2c4a93d5e2.pdf please let me know if this helps you.

Gary

Yes, I do that every day since new.

Hi Gary,
Can I ask how old is the machine?.

Sharon Gasked

Cafe Barista EM5000WR (White Rose Gold)

Does the EM5000WR use whole beans or ground?

Hi Sharon,
The machine is best suited with pre-ground coffee.

Thankyou

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives

Compare both Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000
CategorySemi-Automatic and Manual Coffee MachinesSemi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines
Price (RRP) $299.00$299.00
Input Power1,470 W1,470 W
Dishwasher Safe PartsNoNo
Colour / FinishWhite/Rose GoldBlack
Dimensions 320 x 268 x 224 mm320 x 268 x 224 mm
Weight5.4 kg5.4 kg
Milk FrotherIntegratedIntegrated
Bean GrinderNoneNone
Manufacturer Warranty1 year(s)1 year(s)
Compare both Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000