Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000

EM5000K (Black), EM5000WR (White Rose Gold)
Listing monitored by Sunbeam

Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000 Showcases

Official material from Sunbeam.

Read now

• Product is used
  • Consistency
  • Milk Frothing

greg n.
greg n.

Great machine

Just got my new machine today and it's brilliant ,can't understand all the negative reviews,but there are more positive than negatives on machine ,you must read the instruction manual first and thoroughly. it makes great cappuccinos, it's well made and looks great on my kitchen bench. I give it 5/5 , Bought mine from appliances online for $169.00. I recommend this barista EM5000.

Purchased in October 2020 at Apple Online store for $169.00.

Hello greg n,
Thank you for your awesome review! Glad you are loving your Sunbeam Cafe Barista.

Steph B.
Steph B.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Use it daily, just what we need

We purchased this during the 2020 Victorian lockdown as we wanted decent coffee at home. It allows us to select our coffee of preference and has not skipped a beat in the 12 months! Love being able to remove the milk jug to the fridge and cleaning is a breeze! Can’t live without now! Simple and easy to use.

Purchased in April 2020 at JB Hifi Home for $199.00.

MezAU

Makes a great cup of coffee but......

I am enjoying my machine. I would have loved an automatic but the cost prevented me. I bought this and really happy with it. There have been a few complaints but it appears that people have not read the manual properly. I find it does froth a bit too much for my liking on the latte setting. I have the dial right down but prefer less froth. Overall I love.

Purchased in June 2021 at Target Australia for $199.00.

Greg H.
Greg H.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Milk frothing inconsistent

Had machine over 1yr and every time the cup fills differently. I choose latte large cup with milk frothed on lowest level. Milk is inconsistent and always have to add manually. Knob doesn't do much. Latte always looks like a cappuccino when I want it closer to a flat white. Milk struggles at time to be sucked up into the machine. I have descaled it but made no difference. Probably have to look for a different machine unless sunbeam know what the issue is

Purchased at Kogan.com for $179.00.

Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

Find out how Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000 compares to other Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

Mel P.
Mel P.Illawarra, NSW

Works good - looses suction on milk

Bought this for hubby for Christmas in 2019. Been working well up until now where it now struggles to suck up milk to froth. Good little machine otherwise if you enjoy a decent coffee without spending a heap. Bought it especially as it takes ground coffee and not the pods

Purchased in December 2019 at Big W for $199.00.

jainee67
jainee67Murrumbidgee Region, NSW

Wasted my money.

I purchased this machine recently. Have tried it twice. I contemplated between this and a pod machine. I wish I had purchased a pod machine.I get very little taste of coffee. The milk is too bubbly, not smooth like a latte should be. I cannot get a hot coffee.

Purchased in May 2021.

Noise Level
GrinderSunbeam MultiGrinder II EM0405

The best kitchen appliances in 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-best-kitchen-appliances-in-2020

Budget Coffee Machines, Bread Makers and Food Sealers

In quarantine and in need of fresh coffee, bread and longer lasting food? Read on for more information on kitchen appliances that won’t break the bank and help see you through self isolation during difficult times.

Wendy Z.27 Mar 2020
budget-coffee-machines-bread-makers-and-food-sealers

Best Fridges and Dishwashers in 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
best-fridges-and-dishwashers-in-2020
Elis
ElisPerth, WA

Disappointed

This coffee machine is obnoxiously loud and produces inconsistent cups of coffee(sometimes will make a full cup, sometimes will only fill up half way) with varying heat, the froth dial is basically useless, have tried all kinds of milk and made sure it’s always chilled before use and yet every time my milk is overfrothed, I have cleaned and descaled the machine and the problem has not been resolved, unsure of what to do anymore but will definitely not be buying anymore sunbeam coffee machines, by far the worst brand of coffee machines.

Purchased in December 2020 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores.

Noise Level
Consistency
BJ_JT
BJ_JTMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Actually is a great machine for the price!

Purchased in March 2021 at Big W for $179.00.

Not to bad

I love the machine overall it is quick and easy but my coffee is never hot enough we always have to heat it up, does anyone know how to make it hotter

Purchased in April 2021.

Abraham
AbrahamGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Cafe Barista not providing enough milk froth after a year

My Sunbeam Cafe Barista is not providing enough milk froth after a year
I called Customer Service of Sunbeam. At first they asked me to do some checking & testing but problem still persist.

Eventually, after two weeks they sent me a replacement of my Cafe Barista unit and was satisfied with their support.

Many thanks to their Customer Support named Anjelly for providing a solution.

Purchased at Big W Retail Stores for $149.25.

Adrian
Adrian

Frother problems

The coffee machine works but the frother does not.
All the parts are clean and it seems it must be whatever pump for the frother has failed?
Looking at other reviews this is similar.
Dissappointed

Purchased in April 2020.

Disgruntled Client
Disgruntled ClientHervey Bay

Dismal Failure

Bought it last month but only just started using it, have not had one cup of coffee that is above tepid in heat all in all a dismal failure that is being returned tomorrow.

Purchased in March 2021 for $199.00.

Matt C.South East Queensland, QLD

The machine has been really good until recently

The machine has been really good until recently until we ran into the same problem as many others with steam coming from the milk reservoir. This machine is about a year old and was always cleaned using the cleaning function every time milk was used to make a coffee. This seems like a known issue now?

Purchased in October 2019 at Myer for $250.00.

Matt C.

I have no idea how to send a private message. According to Product Review, the ability to send messages is not available to consumers - it’s a feature available to brands such as Sunbeam so why not message me?

Jhopsi
JhopsiIllawarra, NSW

More than expected.

I had a manual Krups machine. It was starting to have troubles keeping pressure. Replaced with a nicer, quicker cup of coffee for $179.

Saw complaints the milk spout doesn't move.. it does.. it lifts out from the inside. A little fiddley.. so it will stay out permanently on my machine.

I got a quality bean. The milk doesn't froth thick like with a manual machine. But it is perfect for me. It's saving me money.. I am more fussy about the flavour of the coffee shot than the milk texture.

Really sleek and nice look to the machine. Made from majority plastic parts.. but couldn't expect any more for the price. I am very happy with my purchase.

Purchased in March 2021 at Target Australia for $179.00.

TAN
TANWestern District, VIC

Not lasting machine

After few months was been using it .. the water cant come out from this machine , can't make any coffer but the milk frosting is ok , .. never buy again from sunbeam .. (had 2 sunbeam coffee machines that was not lasting.. ).

Purchased for $199.00.

Worked for a while

Worked well and made a good coffee. After 18months the milk dispenser has stopped working, it is spotless clean, just not enough steam getting through and disappointed as I paid $200 for the machine.

Purchased in July 2019 for $200.00.

pvsampson01

Fixed. Sunbeam helped me sort the issue

Read more reviews - page 2

Frequently Asked Questions about Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000

My coffee machine is leaking. What can I do?

Establish where the leak is coming from:

• From the front of the machine under the Drip Tray – make sure the Drip Tray is emptied regularly and positioned tightly against the coffee machine before each use.
  • From the back of the machine under the Water Tank – check for any cracks or leaks coming from the water tank. Make sure there are no foreign particles or object blocking the valve. Ensure Water Tank is sitting correctly against the coffee machine.
  • From the group head – ensure filter basket and group handle is locked in position before use. Clean shower head regularly and replace group head seal, if required.

If you require further assistance please contact the Sunbeam customer care team - 1300 881 861 (8:30am to 5:00pm - Monday - Friday AEST).

My coffee is not hot enough, what should I do?

Preheat the group head by running an espresso cycle without coffee. Preheat the coffee cup with hot water and empty the hot water before dispensing the coffee in the cup.

How do I clean and care for my machine?

Once you are done preparing your beverage with milk, you can either store the unit’s milk reservoir with milk directly in the refrigerator or completely clean the milk reservoir. Refer to the instruction booklet for cleaning instructions.

My coffee tasted bitter and the used coffee grounds are sloppy, what can I do?

Espresso that pours slower is stronger in flavour as the coffee solids have more time to dissolve and may be over extracted. If the shot pours too slowly due to the grind being too fine, the espresso will taste bitter. You need to make your coffee grinds coarser so that the water is not so restricted. Do not tamp too hard.

I can't seem to get consistent froth despite changing the setting from minimum to maximum, what should I do?

Chill milk prior to making a cappuccino or latte. Follow the instructions to clean the milk reservoir and frothing tube.

How do I make different coffees with this machine - cappuccino, latte etc?

Café Barista is an automatic milk coffee machine with one-touch control panel for drink selection. Simply select your beverage of choice with the touch of a button: espresso, latte or cappuccino.

My milk is bubbly and not smooth, what should I do?

Chill milk prior to making a cappuccino or latte. Use the manual Froth button to customise the froth to your liking.

I still get too much froth after setting the dial to a minimum, what should I do?

Use milk with a higher fat content, such as full cream milk. Fat works against the protein in ‘connecting’ with air bubbles. Avoid skim milk. Try adding the milk foam first, then adding coffee (or other beverages) to the milk foam.

Why does my machine take a long time to stop blinking?

Machine will blink while warming up. This is normal.

Why does water remain in the coffee basket after each use? It seems like the basket doesn't drain well?

Coffee grinds may be trapped inside the filter basket. Insert a cleaning wire into the hole of the filter basket to dislodge any trapped coffee grinds.

My machine makes no froth at all, what should I do?

Ensure there is enough water in the water reservoir. Follow the instructions to clean the milk reservoir & frothing tube.

Latest Consumer Questions

Kevinasked
Cafe Barista EM5000

I have this machine for 1 week now and the milk frother splashes every where while filling up my cup and I have to wipe the benches down after it makes coffee I have turned the frother down and still splashes everywhere any tips please bcoz it's annoying

Mez

Mine does that a bit too. It may be the shape of your cup. The spout is not the best. Try a different cup so the spout isn't pointed to the side of the cup.

Kevin

Thanks for that I've tried many cups

tim t.
tim t.asked
Cafe Barista EM5000

I bought the EM5000 Cafe Barista just over a year ago, lately when either making a Latte or Cappucino I have hardly had any milk coming into my cup. The milk just spits into cup not a full flow at all.
I have cleaned and also descaled as requested re instructions in manual and for 3 days was better, then back to if im lucky a third of a cup of coffee. Any ideas would be helpful. Ali

Mez

Do you put a fair amount of milk in the container. Best to put a lot in and then tip what you don't use back into the milk bottle or place the container in the fridge. I did that once and found when the milk got down it spat out into the cup.

Customer SupportSunbeam

Hi Tim,
I have just sent you a private message if you could kindly respond via this please.

Paul Casked
Cafe Barista EM5000

My Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000 will not allow me to use the milk frothing function. I have checked and the water reservoir is full and the milk canister is inserted properly the cappuccino and late lights flash and flash slowly like normal warmup but never fully illuminate. The expresso light comes on and fully iluminates and allows you to make an expresso but the other two lights just continue to slowly flash. If i turn the machine off and let it cool down and try later it sometimes works. Can you offer any suggestions as to why it is doing this?

Customer SupportSunbeam

Hi Paul C,
Have you tried cleaning the milk reservoir & dispening tube? If you refer to the product manual attached https://sunbeam-s3-production.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/EM5000_20EM1_20_2c4a93d5e2.pdf & refer to page 15 of the product manual this will show you how follow these steps let me know if this solves your issue.

Mez

I found once I pushed the milk container into place I had to give it an extra push to get it in. You will hear a click when it engages. I hope that works for you.

Paul C

I turned the machine back on and tried the cleaning as per Sunbeam Customer support advised. When I turned it on all lights pulsed expresso fully illuminated first then Cappuccino and Latte stopped pulsing and fully illuminated so I run the cleaning function as recommended above which ran through cleaning the milk frothed. However once it completed the Cappuccino and Latte lights started pulsing again and just keep pulsing and never fully illuminate. I hope this makes sense.

See all Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000 questions

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives

Compare both Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000
CategorySemi-Automatic and Manual Coffee MachinesSemi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines
Price (RRP) $299.00$299.00
Input Power1,470 W1,470 W
Dishwasher Safe PartsNoNo
Dimensions 320 x 268 x 224 mm320 x 268 x 224 mm
Weight5.4 kg5.4 kg
Milk FrotherIntegratedIntegrated
Bean GrinderNoneNone
Manufacturer Warranty1 year(s)1 year(s)
Colour / FinishWhite/Rose GoldBlack