Sunbeam Cafe Espresso II EM3820

Sunbeam Cafe Espresso II EM3820

MPN: EM3820

Sunbeam Cafe Espresso II EM3820 Showcases

Official material from Sunbeam.

Read now

• Product is used
  • Consistency
  • Milk Frothing

Dom

DomSouth East Queensland, QLD

Terrific budget espresso machine. 1 year old and works well.

Purchased in August 2019 at Big W for $180.00.

Customer CareSunbeam

Thank you for your update Dom.

Pete

PeteCooroy

water leak

have owned 3,make great coffee but all developed water leak.
this one was out of warranty so decided to repair-problem is the plastic water pipe that supplies the thermo block.
used a sealant to repair-no more leaks

Purchased in February 2020.

CLM

CLMPerth, WA

It WAS great

It was a great machine, great price easy to use. But i have not noticed everytime i use the steam wand the base on the left hand side leaks...quite a big puddle.

Purchased in January 2021 at Target Australia for $150.00.

CR.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Very good unit for price.

This is the second of these coffee machines I have owned.The first one I ended up taking to my work place after having it at home for 10 years. It is still going strong constantly making great coffee . I made the mistake of purchasing a much more expensive unit after this one and unfortunately payed the price. It made aweful coffee and when contacting the company they blamed the coffee itself for the result! So I went back to the Sunbeam coffee machine it delivers great coffee every time. I only make 1 to 3 coffee's a day with it. This unit allows me to make coffee the way I like it. (Very strong). Would highly recommend.

Purchased in January 2021 at Big W.

CR.

If it lasts half as long as my first one I will be happy.

Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

Find out how Sunbeam Cafe Espresso II EM3820 compares to other Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

VMCGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Sanity Saver

My EM3820 has been a sanity saver during Melbourne's long period of lockdown. It makes a great coffee every time. However, it has recently started leaking from underneath. I think it is from the water tank. Is there anything I can do apart from buying a new coffee machine?

I purchased it some time ago but only started using it this year.

Purchased in April 2018 at Myer for $129.00.

OK but

A bit fiddly to use, but can produce nice coffee. Milk frother and supplied ss jug work well. Main problem is the filter basket which clogs leading to exciting times getting the group handle off due to a buildup of pressure. One tiny hole is all that allows the coffee liquid out of the filter basket. I now soak the filter basket in a small container of vinegar and so far.... that seems to be the solution. We will see.

Purchased in February 2020 at Betta Home Living for $159.00.

Hadn’t worked from the start

Our machine flushed water through fine but as soon as there is coffee in it doesn’t push through just steams a bit and builds up pressure. . Water flows into the bottom tray and nothing else happens .. spewin!!

Purchased in December 2019.

Product is usedRarely

Hello Elijah,
So sorry to hear about that, however, you're still within your warranty period. Please just return the unit to your retailer for a replacement.

Jerry Ice

Jerry IceMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Worked great, for a short time

Worked well, great coffee for a few months.
Descaled a few times too
Suddenly started leaking all over, steam flowing through the panels. Steam wand leaking when in brewing mode. Brewing head leaking when in steaming mode.
Super annoying.

Purchased in June 2019 at Big W for $149.00.

Xaveston

Xaveston

Good then Bad

I got this for my birthday, a year ago and it has worked perfectly up until today, after using the frothing wand I noticed smoke came out from the round part of the machine, turned it off and waited for it to cool down, I did turn it back on to try and test the frothing wand; Literally nothing happened, turned it off and unplugged at the wall, there is a small black smudge at the center of the coffee grinder, and I believe it has officially stopped working (Judging by the other reviews, this happened to them in the exact same manner). I do not dare turn it back on, and will be looking to replace it, if no one can fix it.

Purchased in July 2019 at Big W for $149.00.

forry

forryAU

So sad this is my 2nd machine with some sort of electrical fault...

Makes good coffee...hot and strong.
I have really loved my machine, it’s been perfect for me and my two morning coffees, unfortunately (this is my second machine) they have both broken. Frother stoped working smoke came out and I just managed to turn it off before catching fire.

Purchased in January 2018.

Nickeesha

NickeeshaChinchilla

Not worth the money

Not worth $150.00 ive had mine for about 1 year but i wouldnt buy another . It has its bad days . Dosnt froth milk properly very loud dosnt filter the coffee properly ive had the coffee ground handle come off and hot coffee go everywhere .

Purchased in May 2019 at Big W Retail Stores for $150.00.

Kerryn Walshe

Kerryn Walshe

Was working, now it doesn't.

I have had this machine for just over a year now and it was working fine. Went to use it this morning and it began to smoke and the frother did not heat up milk. Very disappointing. I now need to go and purchase another one. Won't be this model/brand.

Purchased in December 2018 for $140.00.

A disappointed buyer

A disappointed buyerCentral West, NSW

Do not buy!

My machine is only 2 weeks old. The ground handle has exploded off the machine twice leaving coffee everywhere. The milk froths up but when added to coffee goes flat in about 20 seconds,
I have contacted Sunbeam 3 times with no reply. It will soon be binned. What a waste of money.

Purchased in April 2020 at Big W for $149.00.

Milk Frothing
Product is usedDaily

Blocked filters

You can burn off the coffee grounds within the filter cups. Hold them with ss tongs over a flame on your stove. They will flash off. Dip in water to cool.

Product is usedSeveral times a week

Madison F.

Take a look for yourself. Dismal

So on its first use, the machine started smoking, the ground handle exploded off the machine and coffee went everywhere. Burn on my hand etc. Followed the instructions completely. I then research this product and find it has been recalled in 2013/14 for similar issue... so hasn’t been fixed. My review on Sunbeam.com.au was rejected because clearly they don’t like the rating lowered. they have also been useless in providing any help to me whatsoever.

Madison F.

It would also be wise not to claim that “it had nothing to do with the group handle” - can you please advise how you know that given Sunbeam can’t even return to call or email to investigate? I’m reporting to ACCC

Basic Coffee Machine for weekly use

Purchased in April 2019 at Target Australia for $139.00.

Hello Veronica,
Sorry to hear about this but you are still within your 12 month warranty. Any retailer will honar that when it's only a few weeks out of date.

Please take it back for a replacement.

Veronica
Veronica

Thank you for your prompt response, I didn't anticipate hearing back from anyone.
Much appreciated.

JAR

JAR

Great product for the price

I have purchased my two of these (only because our first one I sold overseas before returning to Australia). I use it everyday and it works great. Only negative would be that the plastic in the drip tray bubbles a bit from the heat but this doesn't affect the use or how you're coffee turns out!

Purchased in January 2019 at Target Australia for $110.00.

Hello JAR,
Thank you for the GREAT review!

Damien B.

Damien B.Ngunnawal 2913, ACT

Good while it worked

I loved this machine for most of its short life. Very good for a budget machine, apart from the amount of drip coming from the filter basket being very unpredictable. However, after less than 2 years it short circuited- blew some very pungent smoke and conked out, first the frother then the rest. So now I am mourning the loss of the machine and wondering whether it should have at least made it a full 2 years???

Purchased in May 2018 at Big W for $150.00.

RonnieGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Excellent when it works. Poor build quality and not supported by a good customer service.

Loved it. High pressure pump pushes through the water even at fine espresso ground. Milk frother tube is elegantly rounded, making it very functional and easy to clean.
Makes an excellent cup of coffee.

Unfortunately it failed after 6 months.
Steam wand did not work and mains fuses kept blowing.

It is not the first Sunbeam coffee machine that failed on me because of electrical problems.
I guess it pays to spend a few buck more on a better brand so that is what I'll do.

I tried to get it repaired or replaced but after half an hour on the phone and being hung up on three times by a crappy customer service phone system, I gave up.
Making a cup of coffee should not be this hard.

Purchased in December 2019 for $149.00.

Hello Ronnie,
Thank you for the Great feedback,happy to hear you're loving the Sunbeam Cafe Espresso II EM3820.

Ronnie

I updated my review after your answer.
The coffee machine broke down and I was repeatedly hung up on by your customer service.
Not so happy now.

DamienAustralian Capital Territory

Great coffee but died on me after a year

I bought this machine just over a year ago and it was doing a great job for the price. However, now it is past the warranty period it has decided to stop working- makes all the right sounds but the coffee doesn’t come out!

Purchased in July 2018 at Big W for $150.00.

Consistency
Milk Frothing
Customer C.Sunbeam
Damien

Hello, thank you for the prompt reply and helpful advice. It turns out it was exactly that, just a blocked filter basket! Is there any way of unblocking it or do I need to buy a new one?

Customer C.Sunbeam

Frequently Asked Questions about Sunbeam Cafe Espresso II EM3820

My filter cups seem faulty and coffee did not pass through properly, what should I do?

Café Espresso II comes with a cleaning wire. Insert the cleaning wire into the hole of the filter basket to dislodge any trapped coffee grinds.

My coffee and coffee beans sprays everywhere, what should I do?

1. Ensure the group handle is firmly positioned on to the group head.
  2. Make sure the edge of filter basket is free of coffee granules before use.
  3. Make sure group head is clean and check for damages on the rubber seal.

My pump seemed to stop working, what should I do?

1. Listen to the noise the pump is making. Contact Sunbeam Customer Service Center on 1300 881 861 (AU) or 0800 786 232 (NZ) if no pumping noise is heard.
  2. If the machine is pumping, however, no flow comes out, check the following:
    2.1. Check there is water in the reservoir and the reservoir is sitting flush against the machine.
    2.2. The filter might be blocked when the coffee grounds are too fine or tamped down too hard. Empty out the filter and rinse under water to clean. Wipe the group head with a cloth. Repack the filter basket and tamp down coffee lightly.
    2.3. There might be an air lock in the water line. This usually occurs during first use, if the tank runs empty, or after a period of non-use and/or after the machine has been transported. Follow the user manual to prime the machine and push the air bubbles from the water line.
    2.4. Machine might be blocked by scale build up. Follow the user manual to descale the machine.

How do I clean and care for my machine?

The filters and group handle should be washed after each use by rinsing them under warm water. Wash at regular intervals in warm soapy water using a mild detergent. To clean the group head, flush water through and wipe the head and around the inside rim with a damp cloth. To assist in keeping the filter and the group head clean, at the end of each coffee making session it is recommend you run a cycle with only water. Should the holes in the filters become clogged with coffee granules use the cleaning wire (supplied) to remove them.

Latest Consumer Questions

Cheza

Chezaasked

How long does this take to heat up?

Hi Cheza,
The warm up time is about 3-5 minutes.

Camila D.

Camila D.asked

There is water running from nozzle instead steam, also different noise from pump. How can I fix it ?

Hi Camila D,
I have sent you a private message regarding your issue. If you could kindly respond via that please.

Cabe R.asked

Hello guys can you please help,
My steam wand is extremely tight how do I loosen it? Thanks

Hi Cabe R,
Can I ask how old is the machine?.

Cabe R.

Hello I sorted it out thanks anyways

Hi Cabe R,
No worries.

See all Sunbeam Cafe Espresso II EM3820 questions

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives

CategorySemi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines