Sunbeam Cafe Series Conical Burr EM0480

Sunbeam Cafe Series Conical Burr EM0480

MPN: EM0480

Terrible Machine

Cannot get a good grind - too coarse no matter where we set it or what coffee we use. Coffee too weak .Will have too take it back for a refund.

Purchased in March 2019.

Hi Wayne N, Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. Can you please call us on 1300881 861. We would love to assist you further.

Just not good enough, but can be fixed

Purchased in August 2018 for $189.00.

Hi dgm308, We do value your feedback. The issue of needing spacers/washers is not a general fault. It is characteristic of the conical style grinder. however not everyone will need to add spacers. Sunbeam are more than happy to assist sending out spacers if within the 12 month purchase date. There is also a grace period out side the 12 months we can assist.A characteristic of a product that is not mentioned in the troubleshooting let alone made clear is worse than a fault. I have owned two EM480's that came with the espresso machines, two EM440's that came with espresso machines and one EM440 I bought outright. (Yes I have bought 4 espresso machines. All of these grinders have exhibited this issue and as I had no knowledge of the ability to add spacers and repair work is generally dearer than a replacement I threw the EM480's and one EM440 away. So if adding a spacer was made clear in the first place I would have not done this. As you have clearly stated this is a known issue and as it has not been made known to the purchaser I feel you owe more than sending spacers out under warranty. In my case you should send me at least one new EM480 (BTW Sunbeams warranty does not reduce the consumers statutory right to have the product to work correctly for a period of time that the average person would expect. Statutory rights are the real warranty in 2019.)

Grinds very coarse regardless of setting

I have an earlier model sunbeam conical burr grinder which I was very happy with. I bought this upgraded model for my mother for Christmas, and the grind was unbelievably coarse and uneven, the resulting coffee on stove top machine that we always use was like water. My mother old electric blade 'grinder' produced far better coffee. I returned it to the store and got a replacement. The result was exactly the same. In store they checked how it was assembled and said everything was correct. Also sprays flat slices of coffee in all directions, which sticks statically to everything. Terrible machine. Wasted hours of my time trying to work out what was wrong, three long trips back and forth to the store. Eventually got a refund, but lost many hours (and packets of coffee).

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Grinding too coarse and inconsistent

We've owned this machine for a few weeks now. We have adjusted it again and again but the grinding is inconsistent, and too coarse for espresso. We are so disappointed. I feel like there must be something majorly wrong with our machine as it just does not do what it should.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Hi Vico, Please give our team a call on 1300 881 861 so they can run you through a few things to help you get the most from this grinder. It depends on so many things .. coffee beans, freshness etc and can be difficult at first to get it all rightSure sure, top strategy to blame the user but this not operator error. I had already called you about this before writing the above review. Customer service passed the buck and advised me to go through the retailer. I sent it back to them (at my own cost) and they refunded the purchase price. So now I am down $20 (shipping) and have no grinder.

Does not grind fine enough for espresso

Tried the machine today for the first time. The grind is too coarse for espresso at any setting. In fact the settings do not change the grind from one end of the scale to the other. It is not at all useful for our purpose. Not sure what to do now. Don't suppose the retailer will take it back given that we've given it a few tries.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Hi Gruff. Please call us on 1300 881861 and our customer care team will be able to assist.

Grinds coffee reasonably well but has problems

This grinder can produce good ground coffee and has worked reliably for 5 years.

One problem I faced was with static electricity. This is produced by the grounds rubbing against the plastic parts and causes grounds to spray out all over the place. I solved this by replacing the plastic ground coffee container with a large metal milk frothing jug. The metal is less affected by static electricity and the larger mouth catches all the grounds.

Second problem was with clogging. Fine grounds accumulate inside the grinder requiring me to slap and shake the grinder to keep the grounds flowing. This problem is worse if you need the coffee ground fine for espresso machines. Also, as the machine clogs, the grounds come out finer and finer so you have to adjust the grind as you go. The solution is to clean the grinder frequently. Unfortunately, you need to totally dismatle the machine to clean it. You need a screwdriver and some skill as removing and replacing the micro-switch and tiny spring is quite tricky. Of course, this voids the warranty. Eventually, I removed the microswitch altogether and shorted the wires. It is only a safety feature. I was then able to quickly dismantle and clean the grinder each time it needed a a refill of beans. This made the grinder perform consistently and I have been using it like this for years.

Unfortunately, the regular disassembly for cleaning has now worn away the screw holes so it can no longer be reassembled.

Even though this machine has problems, there isn't much else on the market. It is better than the cheap grinders and you have to spend over $500 to get a grinder of superior quality. I will probably buy another one.

Date PurchasedMay 2012
Hi Alvaro, thanks for the review, agreed it is a great grinder for the price point. Your feedback is important and valuable to the design team, thank you...

You get what you pay for.

This grinder is good at grinding coffee to your desired grind and it’s still going 6 years later, but that’s where the good points stop for this product.
First issue, is that it loves to spray static ground coffee all over the bench, it even clings to the grinder.
Second issue, the mechanism inside the grinder doesn’t push all the Coffee out, so every few months I have to pull the unit apart to clean out the grinds.

Date PurchasedSep 2012
Hi Corey T. Have you tried rubbing the inside of the hopper and the spout with a damp cloth? This can help to minimize any static build up. Unfortunately the majority of grinders on the market do need to be cleaned every few months, this is simply the nature of coffee granules!! Just like sand they get everywhere!!

Consistently makes ground coffee

I was given this as a gift, so can't upload a receipt but have uploaded a photo. It's been an absolute wonderful machine to use. Nice and simple to work and easy to clean. The beans are always ground exactly as I need them to be and can change the setting if I need to. I've even taken this away on holidays to the beach house because I do love it so much.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Hi Debi, thanks so much for the fab review and keep enjoying your coffee!!!

Can't go Back

Our grinder was a gift from another connoisseur of fine coffee. Whenever Jen made a coffee, it was legendary - so - now we can come close. It's excellent because we grind it fresh for each cup. the beans make a difference to the taste but the grinder is awesome.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Thanks for the great review desley!!

Great at grinding beans!

I purchased this grinder over 5 years ago and it's still great. The only problem I have with it is that some of the ground beans fall out after you have finished. Took some time to get the right ground for the coffee machine. It keeps the beans fresh while your not using it. I would recommend it.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

Nearly made 10 years

Used this grinder every day at least 2/3 times for over 9 years and it has never missed a beat. It has been used and abused, shifted from house to house and has sat next to my Silvia grinding up beans to perfection. But the time has come to retire the old girl as recently she has been losing her adjustment and I'm not prepared to put washers in to prolong her life. In this day and age there are not many appliances that can go that distance. The King is dead, long live the King.

Date PurchasedSep 2009

Good entry level burr grinder - but not the best.

Included with my purchase of the EM6910. This entry-level burr grinder performs well, but not exceptionally. I use it predominantly for espresso, and the steps between the grind settings are sometimes not precise to allow you to accurately dial in a shot.

Still a huge step-up from pre-ground or instant coffee. Quite easily disassembled for cleaning, but the grinds chute is more difficult to clean thoroughly.

Overall, good purchase for those coming from pre-ground or instant coffee, and would likely be more than appropriate for manual brewing rather than espresso.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Fresh is superb

Just sick of buying packets of ground coffee from supermarket. Now I grind enough for one or two days to make some superb freshly ground coffee. Machine does spray a bit but this does NOT detract from the workings of this classic machine. One can choose to grind coarse or fine powder as required by your coffee making machine. Every day I actually look forward to my morning coffee & tempted to make more cups ....so absolutely fascinated by this well made machine.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Disappointing purchase

Bought this grinder on the weekend. Set the grind to the middle setting but it was too fine for the coffee machine to get the water through. Ended up setting it to the most course setting and managed to get a coffee out, but this means it is no good it I want to make a plunger or filter coffee as they require a more course grind. The most course setting if still really fine!!!
Will have no choice but to take it back for a refund I think - I'm not taking it apart to fix.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Nice consistent grind

Coffee is now so much better with the addition of this conical grinder. Seems to be working well and easy to use. We were using a electric coffee/spice mill before but found particle size too variable. This grinder is very consistent so far and the coffee tastes better. I would recommend although I am not a barista expert.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Good entry level grinder

Have used this for 12 months and it's a basic, reliable grinder. Its probably not something you want to be churning high volumes through but I've been using it to grind a single dose at a time and have not had any problems. It grinds to a decent consistency according to what you specify and it will come out, albeit a little messily, into your group handle.

I have noticed that some beans do get a little bit sticky inside the unit and you'll get clumps come out, instead of consistent grounds but it's only been with one specific bean so far.

For the price point though, it's hard to complain much about it. It's a good little unit, just not a great one.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Bought a faulty product

I bought this grinder very recently. I made the unusual mistake of not reading product reviews or doing my homework before buying this product (whoops). I got it home and the very first grind was faulty, the grind was very coarse. I called support and they said it is a common problem. I am returning the product today and am seeking a full refund which I will use to buy a superior product.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Worked fine for about 13 months then won't feed beans onto grinder

I am totally fed up with Sunbeam products. The Sunbeam Conical Burr EM0480 grinder is fine in theory but just keeps failing to grind...why, beans do not fall into the burr section from the hopper. Have taken it apart, cleaned the burrs, put back...no difference. My old Kenwood does a better grind and allows me to get finer results...and never fails. I know there are people who say they have never had a problem with the EM0480, but a short search on google shows plenty who do.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Inexpensive & has a few problems

I decided to go for this model after using a friends.
My Delonghi grinder broke today. It never ground as fine as this model.
Pros:
The drop tray is good.
Container seals if you grind too much.
Easy to dismantle grinder mechanism to clean.
Easy to grind coffee beans by pushing the collecting container into the body of the unit.
Sometimes it is easily pushed when not in use and coffee comes out. But not too much of a problem.
Inexpensive.
Static makes tipping the coffee out of the holder messy as it won't empty without constant tapping on a hard surface.
Coffee sticks in the rubber outlet. Not ideal.
The top Breville grinder is probably a much much better machine that grinds finer, but more expensive.

Pete Perth Western Australia

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Great Entry Level Grinder

As a user of a manual burr grinder it was a pleasure to use the Sunbeam. It does the job it is built, with all the different types of grinds. Don't expect a powerful machine. If you are some one who will grinder their coffee more than once a day then consider the next one in the series.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

For those getting too coarse a grind, it is poor quality control. To adjust the grinder for a finer grind beyond what you are getting spacers need to be added under the lower burr. These spacers cost about $3 each on ebay, but should really be in the box with grinder along with the instructions to remove the burrs. It is quite easy to do, but you shouldn't have to and I have read where people dismantle more than what is needed and never get it back together. As a matter of good customer service Sunbeam should send everyone who owns their grinders free spacers. They will email you the instructions if you call them, but they should do more. You may have to mention the spacers etc or they may not want to bring it up as it shows they know your grinder is not fit for the purpose as supplied. If you do it just add one spacer more than what is there and start on coarse grind setting and move to a finer setting the first time you use it. If not fine enough add another spacer and repeat. (Max 4 spacers) This adjustment is to counter burr wear and adjustment should be built into the machine external settings.

Is there a way of locking the settings on the sunbeam em0480 so as not to move it while refilling ect?
I'm not able to answer this question since our problem was failure of the machine to grind finely enough for espresso. We returned the machine with explanation to Sunbeam and our money was refunded.

After cleaning my grinder The arrow is moving from fine to about 10cm past coarse setting before it stops clicking. Before had it set on about 15 for good grind now that setting us way to fine and I get no water through the grind at all. Sunbeam have no idea. Sunbeam service centre said buy a new one. Check the machine in shops today. Arrow should only move between fine and coarse and no further unless you hold the lock button in. Any ideas?
Sorry I don’t have an answer. imagine taking it back to the store isn’t a possibility. Otherwise I’d do a serious serious reminder to Sunbeam if their obligation.

Cafe Series Conical Burr EM0480