Sunbeam Cafe Series Conical Burr EM0480

MPN: EM0480

Scrooge 01

Scrooge 01Illawarra, NSW

Reasonable value.

Purchased at Secondhand for $20.00.

Wayne N

Wayne NSouth East Queensland, QLD

Terrible Machine

Cannot get a good grind - too coarse no matter where we set it or what coffee we use. Coffee too weak .Will have too take it back for a refund.

Purchased in March 2019.

Hi Wayne N,
Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. Can you please call us on 1300881 861. We would love to assist you further.

dgm308

Just not good enough, but can be fixed

Purchased in August 2018 for $189.00.

dgm308

Grinds very coarse regardless of setting

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Grinding too coarse and inconsistent

We've owned this machine for a few weeks now. We have adjusted it again and again but the grinding is inconsistent, and too coarse for espresso. We are so disappointed. I feel like there must be something majorly wrong with our machine as it just does not do what it should.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Hi Vico,
Please give our team a call on 1300 881 861 so they can run you through a few things to help you get the most from this grinder. It depends on so many things .. coffee beans, freshness etc and can be difficult at first to get it all right

Vico
Vico

Does not grind fine enough for espresso

Tried the machine today for the first time. The grind is too coarse for espresso at any setting. In fact the settings do not change the grind from one end of the scale to the other. It is not at all useful for our purpose. Not sure what to do now. Don't suppose the retailer will take it back given that we've given it a few tries.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Gruff. Please call us on 1300 881861 and our customer care team will be able to assist.

Alvaro

AlvaroSydney

Grinds coffee reasonably well but has problems

Date PurchasedMay 2012
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Alvaro, thanks for the review, agreed it is a great grinder for the price point.
Your feedback is important and valuable to the design team, thank you...

Corey T

Corey TMid North Coast, NSW

You get what you pay for.

This grinder is good at grinding coffee to your desired grind and it’s still going 6 years later, but that’s where the good points stop for this product.
First issue, is that it loves to spray static ground coffee all over the bench, it even clings to the grinder.
Second issue, the mechanism inside the grinder doesn’t push all the Coffee out, so every few months I have to pull the unit apart to clean out the grinds.

Date PurchasedSep 2012
Debi Slinger

Debi SlingerGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Consistently makes ground coffee

I was given this as a gift, so can't upload a receipt but have uploaded a photo. It's been an absolute wonderful machine to use. Nice and simple to work and easy to clean. The beans are always ground exactly as I need them to be and can change the setting if I need to. I've even taken this away on holidays to the beach house because I do love it so much.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Debi, thanks so much for the fab review and keep enjoying your coffee!!!

desley

desleyGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Can't go Back

Our grinder was a gift from another connoisseur of fine coffee. Whenever Jen made a coffee, it was legendary - so - now we can come close. It's excellent because we grind it fresh for each cup. the beans make a difference to the taste but the grinder is awesome.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for the great review desley!!

Fee Lev

Fee LevCentral coast

Great at grinding beans!

I purchased this grinder over 5 years ago and it's still great. The only problem I have with it is that some of the ground beans fall out after you have finished. Took some time to get the right ground for the coffee machine. It keeps the beans fresh while your not using it. I would recommend it.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

Nearly made 10 years

Used this grinder every day at least 2/3 times for over 9 years and it has never missed a beat. It has been used and abused, shifted from house to house and has sat next to my Silvia grinding up beans to perfection. But the time has come to retire the old girl as recently she has been losing her adjustment and I'm not prepared to put washers in to prolong her life. In this day and age there are not many appliances that can go that distance. The King is dead, long live the King.

Date PurchasedSep 2009

Jayson L

Jayson LGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Good entry level burr grinder - but not the best.

Included with my purchase of the EM6910. This entry-level burr grinder performs well, but not exceptionally. I use it predominantly for espresso, and the steps between the grind settings are sometimes not precise to allow you to accurately dial in a shot.

Still a huge step-up from pre-ground or instant coffee. Quite easily disassembled for cleaning, but the grinds chute is more difficult to clean thoroughly.

Overall, good purchase for those coming from pre-ground or instant coffee, and would likely be more than appropriate for manual brewing rather than espresso.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Toodirect

ToodirectMelbourne, Victoria

Fresh is superb

Just sick of buying packets of ground coffee from supermarket. Now I grind enough for one or two days to make some superb freshly ground coffee. Machine does spray a bit but this does NOT detract from the workings of this classic machine. One can choose to grind coarse or fine powder as required by your coffee making machine. Every day I actually look forward to my morning coffee & tempted to make more cups ....so absolutely fascinated by this well made machine.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
Rob

Rob

Disappointing purchase

Bought this grinder on the weekend. Set the grind to the middle setting but it was too fine for the coffee machine to get the water through. Ended up setting it to the most course setting and managed to get a coffee out, but this means it is no good it I want to make a plunger or filter coffee as they require a more course grind. The most course setting if still really fine!!!
Will have no choice but to take it back for a refund I think - I'm not taking it apart to fix.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
OmNOM

OmNOMAU

Nice consistent grind

Coffee is now so much better with the addition of this conical grinder. Seems to be working well and easy to use. We were using a electric coffee/spice mill before but found particle size too variable. This grinder is very consistent so far and the coffee tastes better. I would recommend although I am not a barista expert.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Barry Bollard

Barry BollardMelbourne

Good entry level grinder

Have used this for 12 months and it's a basic, reliable grinder. Its probably not something you want to be churning high volumes through but I've been using it to grind a single dose at a time and have not had any problems. It grinds to a decent consistency according to what you specify and it will come out, albeit a little messily, into your group handle.

I have noticed that some beans do get a little bit sticky inside the unit and you'll get clumps come out, instead of consistent grounds but it's only been with one specific bean so far.

For the price point though, it's hard to complain much about it. It's a good little unit, just not a great one.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Bought a faulty product

I bought this grinder very recently. I made the unusual mistake of not reading product reviews or doing my homework before buying this product (whoops). I got it home and the very first grind was faulty, the grind was very coarse. I called support and they said it is a common problem. I am returning the product today and am seeking a full refund which I will use to buy a superior product.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Jai

JaiAdelaide

Worked fine for about 13 months then won't feed beans onto grinder

I am totally fed up with Sunbeam products. The Sunbeam Conical Burr EM0480 grinder is fine in theory but just keeps failing to grind...why, beans do not fall into the burr section from the hopper. Have taken it apart, cleaned the burrs, put back...no difference. My old Kenwood does a better grind and allows me to get finer results...and never fails. I know there are people who say they have never had a problem with the EM0480, but a short search on google shows plenty who do.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Pete

PetePerth

Inexpensive & has a few problems

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Somateja S.

Somateja S.asked

I have Sunbeam EM0480. I need the upper and lower burr as replacement. Where can I get it? I live in Bali, Indonesia. Thank you.

Hi Somateja S.
Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. So sorry - parts are only available in Australia and New Zealand.
Kind regards, Sunbeam

dgm308asked

For those getting too coarse a grind, it is poor quality control. To adjust the grinder for a finer grind beyond what you are getting spacers need to be added under the lower burr. These spacers cost about $3 each on ebay, but should really be in the box with grinder along with the instructions to remove the burrs. It is quite easy to do, but you shouldn't have to and I have read where people dismantle more than what is needed and never get it back together. As a matter of good customer service Sunbeam should send everyone who owns their grinders free spacers. They will email you the instructions if you call them, but they should do more. You may have to mention the spacers etc or they may not want to bring it up as it shows they know your grinder is not fit for the purpose as supplied.

If you do it just add one spacer more than what is there and start on coarse grind setting and move to a finer setting the first time you use it. If not fine enough add another spacer and repeat. (Max 4 spacers)

This adjustment is to counter burr wear and adjustment should be built into the machine external settings.

Ross

Rossasked

Is there a way of locking the settings on the sunbeam em0480 so as not to move it while refilling ect?

Gruff
Gruff

I'm not able to answer this question since our problem was failure of the machine to grind finely enough for espresso. We returned the machine with explanation to Sunbeam and our money was refunded.

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives