Sunbeam Cafe Series Conical Burr EM0480

MPNs: EM0480 and EM4300EM0480

3.3

Peter

Peter

A most reliable and durable grinder!

There are not many appliances I think are worth promoting with a limited life circle build in. Not so for this Sunbeam grinder. Every day for over 12 years we grind hard coffee beans and it still works as the day i bought it. It is definate worth its origin high price ticket.

Purchased in August 2007 for A$600.00.

Ronnie

RonnieGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Excellent. Can't fault it at this price.

I have had this grinder for about a year. Consistent grind and the setting from fine to course works great.
I grind coffee freshly for each cup directly into the portafilter.
I modified the plastic "U" clip to hold the portafilter in place by making the legs a bit shorter. This makes positioning the portafillter a bit easier and it works great.

Purchased in September 2019.

Jas

JasGoldcoast

Awesome Grinder

We have had this grinder for close to 10years.. have always used it weekly. Last week the burr in it lost a tiny clip to keep it locked in, we rang sunbeam & they could not have been more helpful in getting us a replacement part. On the phone for around 10 mins and it was all sorted, It arrived within 3 days & we have our grinder back!!!
If it ever stops working, would be the only grinder we would buy again!

Purchased in January 2009.

Coffee Grinders / Roasters

Find out how Sunbeam Cafe Series Conical Burr EM0480 compares to other Coffee Grinders / Roasters

andogee

andogeePerth, WA

Bad machine and bad service

As with the others, I've had a bad experience as of late whereby the grinds coming out much too coarse, and there is little difference between fine and coarse. I contacted Sunbeam to ask about a spacer, and their response seemed to be an automated reply of "We're sorry to inform you that spacer for your EM0480 is out of stock. We really apologize for the inconvenience." There were no other suggestions/advice/recommendations - just 'too bad'. So that left me with fuming as now I'll have to return the unit. Won't be buying Sunbeam again that's for sure.

people powerMelbourne

Cafe series...what a joke!

when sunbeam first introduced the cafe series coffee machines i purchased one and it lasted for ages as expected for a high end advertised series...just last year I re-purchased another cafw series coffee machine together with a Cafe series grinder which I've hardly used being away for so long - after several cleans and instructionual videos on how to clean this machine due to not grinding according to the dial I've given up! the lack of after care is so disappointing thats why I have resorted to reviewing this product and sunbeam for others to be aware of this and other issue stated here

I have decided to bite the bullet and promise myself that not only won't I ever buy another sunbeam product again but also make others aware

disgusted!

Purchased at The Good Guys.

people power

not good enough i won't be purchasing any sunbeam products ever again and i will, when asked by others, i most certainly won't be recommending sunbeam

ianbreviewSouth East Queensland, QLD

Reliable and consistent coffee grinder

Our EM0480 is over five years old and until recently produced ideal ground coffee for our Sunbeam EM7000 coffee machine. Now even on the finest setting it is too coarse. Thanks to all those wonderful people on product review I understand the bottom burr may need lifting with a shim or two. A new machine is only $159 online so I if that doesn’t work will just get a new one. Cleaning over the years has left no calibration markers and it does look well used. Overall it’s brilliant value, by my calculation a coffee costs 50c. Every year the investment of machine and grinder saves around two thousand dollars on cafe bought that despite their price are often inferior to home made.

Purchased in October 2014 for A$199.00.

ianbreview

Since I wrote this I have removed the bottom grinder and added a SS washer. Hey presto, coffee grind is now fine.

Hi ianbreview,
Thank you for your review and repair tip.

Jiff

JiffCanberra 2600, ACT

Awful! Does not give a decent grind.

Even after carefully following the manual and additional note supplied with the grinder to ensure “the top burr must sit flat on the bottom burr before returning the grind adjustment collar to its position on the motor base”, this machine still gives a coarse grind on the minimum setting. Tried cleaning, resitting the burr, it is just too inconsistent. After reading the last few reviews it looks like Sunbeam might have had a quality control issue for the last year or so...

Terrible grind

Terrible machine. This machine has limited ability to differentiate between course or fine grind. I have persisted and attempted to vary the grind will no success. A total rip off.

Purchased in August 2019 at Myer for A$179.00.

Hello Kerry Beros,
There should be a visible difference in the grounds between the fine and course and given that there is not, I would say that this unit is faulty. Please return it to your retailer for a replacement unit.

Scrooge 01

Scrooge 01Illawarra, NSW

Reasonable value.

Purchased at Secondhand for A$20.00.

Wayne N

Wayne NSouth East Queensland, QLD

Terrible Machine

Cannot get a good grind - too coarse no matter where we set it or what coffee we use. Coffee too weak .Will have too take it back for a refund.

Purchased in March 2019.

Hi Wayne N,
Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. Can you please call us on 1300881 861. We would love to assist you further.

dgm308

Just not good enough, but can be fixed

Purchased in August 2018 for A$189.00.

dgm308

Grinds very coarse regardless of setting

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Grinding too coarse and inconsistent

We've owned this machine for a few weeks now. We have adjusted it again and again but the grinding is inconsistent, and too coarse for espresso. We are so disappointed. I feel like there must be something majorly wrong with our machine as it just does not do what it should.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Hi Vico,
Please give our team a call on 1300 881 861 so they can run you through a few things to help you get the most from this grinder. It depends on so many things .. coffee beans, freshness etc and can be difficult at first to get it all right

Vico
Vico

Does not grind fine enough for espresso

Tried the machine today for the first time. The grind is too coarse for espresso at any setting. In fact the settings do not change the grind from one end of the scale to the other. It is not at all useful for our purpose. Not sure what to do now. Don't suppose the retailer will take it back given that we've given it a few tries.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Gruff. Please call us on 1300 881861 and our customer care team will be able to assist.

Alvaro

AlvaroSydney

Grinds coffee reasonably well but has problems

Date PurchasedMay 2012
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Alvaro, thanks for the review, agreed it is a great grinder for the price point.
Your feedback is important and valuable to the design team, thank you...

Corey T

Corey TMid North Coast, NSW

You get what you pay for.

This grinder is good at grinding coffee to your desired grind and it’s still going 6 years later, but that’s where the good points stop for this product.
First issue, is that it loves to spray static ground coffee all over the bench, it even clings to the grinder.
Second issue, the mechanism inside the grinder doesn’t push all the Coffee out, so every few months I have to pull the unit apart to clean out the grinds.

Date PurchasedSep 2012
Debi Slinger

Debi SlingerGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Consistently makes ground coffee

I was given this as a gift, so can't upload a receipt but have uploaded a photo. It's been an absolute wonderful machine to use. Nice and simple to work and easy to clean. The beans are always ground exactly as I need them to be and can change the setting if I need to. I've even taken this away on holidays to the beach house because I do love it so much.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Debi, thanks so much for the fab review and keep enjoying your coffee!!!

desley

desleyGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Can't go Back

Our grinder was a gift from another connoisseur of fine coffee. Whenever Jen made a coffee, it was legendary - so - now we can come close. It's excellent because we grind it fresh for each cup. the beans make a difference to the taste but the grinder is awesome.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for the great review desley!!

Fee Lev

Fee LevCentral coast

Great at grinding beans!

I purchased this grinder over 5 years ago and it's still great. The only problem I have with it is that some of the ground beans fall out after you have finished. Took some time to get the right ground for the coffee machine. It keeps the beans fresh while your not using it. I would recommend it.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

Nearly made 10 years

Used this grinder every day at least 2/3 times for over 9 years and it has never missed a beat. It has been used and abused, shifted from house to house and has sat next to my Silvia grinding up beans to perfection. But the time has come to retire the old girl as recently she has been losing her adjustment and I'm not prepared to put washers in to prolong her life. In this day and age there are not many appliances that can go that distance. The King is dead, long live the King.

Date PurchasedSep 2009

Doc

Docasked

I have a sunbeam coffee grinder café series model LM 0480 and I am trying to locate a service manual so can replace the plastic spreader that pushes the coffee out the spigot which includes the parts.

Mohd Fauzi A.

Mohd Fauzi A.asked

Why suddenly my machine stop and I unable to make it work again. During one of the grinding, I gave this machine a good slap at the back to force the coffee out, after few good slap, the machine stop and unable to work again. Please advise? By the way, I bought this machine via Myer and shipped it to Johor Bahru, Malaysia.

ianbreview

I can’t be sure what is the cause of your problem but I had some issues with my grinder cutting out and just cleaned, refitted the coffee basket and it worked. Please check if your PowerPoint is working by trying a working appliance if so follow the manuals cleaning instructions make sure when refitting the basket it has been firmly replaced. You can also ring Sunbeam they have staff who can give advice and access their technical database. Best of luck

Somateja S.

Somateja S.asked

I have Sunbeam EM0480. I need the upper and lower burr as replacement. Where can I get it? I live in Bali, Indonesia. Thank you.

Hi Somateja S.
Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. So sorry - parts are only available in Australia and New Zealand.
Kind regards, Sunbeam

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives