Sunbeam Cafe Series Planetary Mixmaster MX9200

MX9200 (Stainless), MX9200R (Red), MX9200K (Matte Black), MX9200W (White)

Stand Mixers Buying Guide

Whether you want to splash the cash on a premium KitchenAid mixer or find the best affordable stand mixer from Kmart, here are some buying considerations to throw into the mix.

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Safety
Chris

ChrisVictoria

Does not cream butter and sugar

I've had Sunbeam mixmaster for 35 years I Bought a new one 18 months ago and dislike using it. Whipping butter & sugar together to make a cream is impossible, all the ingredients stick to the side and the base . So sad that I can’t use it for the purpose intended as I have loved my original one for 35 years.

Purchased in January 2019 at The Good Guys.

Nicolas N.

Nicolas N.Sydney, NSW

Stay away from Sunbeam

Purchased the first one and used about 10 times before one of the small gears broke. Upon inspection it was made of low grade cast metal. Replaced under warranty. We only used the second one about 15 times and for light mixes, knowing that it is not a heavy duty machine. Motor started sparking badly and it stopped working. Vey low quality components and no spare pats available, which is tippical with cheap bad quality throw away products. I didn't expect it to be a heavy duty machine given the price point, but this thing is not fit for purpose. Will never go near a Sunbeam product ever again.

sunbeam mixmaster not good

Hi i bought the sunbeam mix master 1 and half year ago used only occasionally but it’s making grinding noise looks like the gear box is stuffed total waste of money

Purchased in June 2018 at The Good Guys for $280.00.

Benchtop Food Mixers

Find out how Sunbeam Cafe Series Planetary Mixmaster MX9200 compares to other Benchtop Food Mixers

Libby

Libby

The not fit for purpose mixer

My Sunbeam Planatery Mixmaster will not cream butter and sugar. There is a design fault in that the blade does not reach the bottom or sides of the bowl. The butter and sugar ends up stuck to the sides and bottom and does not cream. I seek a refund for this product and it’s false advertising. I a, back to using my old mixer as this one is hopeless.

Purchased in July 2019.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Do companies only make poor quality products now?

Maybe one of the worst mixers ever made. Was disappointed that it never seemed to touch the bottom when mixing and today motor finally stopped working after just over 2 years and limited use (lucky if it was used 4x a month). Expensive waste of time, never buy from this brand if you want value for money. Hope companies start to realise that a poor product that looks good isn't what consumers want. We want the Sunbeam our grandmothers received as wedding gifts that their daughter eventually inherited because it still works as well as the day it was unboxed.

Purchased in January 2017 at Harvey Norman for $680.00.

Hi Melinda,
So sorry to hear of your issues with the MX9200R. Please call us on 1300 881 861 as we would love to assist you further.

Carmel

CarmelLakewood

Very Disappointed

I've used Sunbeam mixmaster for 45yrs.Bought my new one round 2yrs ago,hardly use it.Whipping butter & sugar together to make a cream is impossible,all sticks to the side,the base seems to be too wide.I keep reverting back to my hand mixer.The motor also seems to have a high pitch sound.Just bought another brand mixer,it's great.

Date PurchasedMay 2015
mwatson

mwatsonHunter Region, NSW

Love this Mixer

My husband brought this for Christmas at least 4 years ago. I am surprised at the bad reviews as I LOVE MY MIXER. I don't use it every day but I do use it regularly and it hasn't missed a beat. I do agree that you have to scrap the sides and the bottom but I would do that regardless of what mixer I have as that's the way I have always had to do it. I love the way it looks and I love the speed control. I noticed it was the one they used on My Kitchen Rules and that is why I wanted it and I haven't been disappointed yet.

Date PurchasedDec 2014
Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for the great review mwatson!

So disappointing

The motor sounds like it’s straining all the time. The paddles and mixer attachments don’t mix well at all because they are to far away from the bowl so always have to stop and scrape the sides of the bowl, even with the scrapper attachment. The cover part for the bowl has to big an opening so mixture still comes out. So disappointed with this machine.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Hi Rach,
So sorry to hear you are not happy with the machine. We will pass your feedback on to our design team. Please give our Customer Care team a call to discuss this with you on 1300 881 861

Rach
Rach

I'm in New Zealand so a call would cost a lot. Do you have a NZ number.

Not for Doughmaking

This unit is 5 years old but used only a dozen times for light mixing. Over the last 6 months, I made dough a couple of times and found the unit struggled and so I took the dough out while still very wet. This last time, I let the mixer knead while adding a tablespoon of flour at a time in order to not overtax it. There was a loud clunk and that was the end of the motor as the gear broke. Also, the "Planetary Mixmaster" label started to rub off when I first wiped it down, so have gingerly cleaned around it ever since. Steer clear of this product if you want to make dough. For the price, I expected better quality. I will not be replacing this unit with another Sunbeam mixer.

Date PurchasedJune 2013

Quince

QuinceSkinners Shoot

Two have gone the same way

The first mixer I bought lasted a few months,developed a grinding noise and was replaced under warranty.
The replacement is about a year old and has also developed the same grinding noise.
If you buy one, don't expect it to knead bread dough, as advertised. They are not very robust unfortunately.

March 22nd 2018 Update: Spare parts

I wrote a review stating both my original mixer and its replacement developed bad noises (ie gearing). Since writing the review I have had my mixer at the local repairer. He said he couldn't get spare parts, and consequently had 4 of the same model in his workshop unabled to be repaired. The good news, for me, is that was able to repair mine from parts in his broken collection.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Miffy

MiffySydney

Great Machine but After 4 yrs all blades were broken after infrequent use & after 5 stand base metal

Date PurchasedSept 2013
AJM69

AJM69Melbourne

Love it

I love my mixer, I don't use it every day or anything like that but have never had any problems with it. Previous to this mixer I had a cheaper model sunbeam stand mixer that wasn't planetary. I like how the whole mixing bowl is used, it's great for making cakes, whipping cream, whipping egg whites. The only downside is that it is too big to fit in any of my cupoards as the shelves are fixed so has to stay on the bench. So I would recommend measuring the space you want to keep it in before purchase.

Date PurchasedJune 2016

Noisy

It's 4 weeks old , used 4 times An has an odd noise like grinding not sure if that's normal or not . Hopefully it's not a bad purchase as it looks like by reading reviews it could be more problems to look forward to . Hopefully not . Great colour is the positive

Date PurchasedJune 2017
Lou

LouWollongong

Disappointed. 3 Broken machines and counting.

I bought my MX9200 in September 2012. I was initially pleased with the performance. Over time, the gears became louder and the machine eventually stopped working at higher speeds and then stopped working altogether. The machine was replaced and I received a new machine, this machine never sounded as smooth as the first one, it was always much noisier. Within just a few months it too stopped working. This was also replaced under warranty. I have had the 3rd machine for 11 months and today it too suddenly stopped working. I'm at the point now where I'd prefer a refund to being replaced with another machine which will break quickly.

Date PurchasedSept 2012
Amrita

AmritaAuckland

this is a piece of crap

Never will again purchase sunbeam product. Sales and customer service is hopeless in NZ. I purchases in sydney while on holiday.did not lasted 30days. Sunbeam nz cannot replace in nz and was told to take it back to australia for refund. Now why cant i get a replacement in nz sunbeam

Date PurchasedJuly 2016

It's Rubbish - Literally

We bought this mixer at DJs, based on the brand allegiance to Sunbeam from years past. Didn't use it much in the warranty period as we were busy with retirement and resettling, etc. When we got time to use it, we encountered recurring reliability issues. Mixer would not re-start after stopping to add ingredients, and display would flash. Wouldn't work again for several hours. Suspect a major programming issue within the control chip. Got so sick of this happening, we have now thrown it in the bin, so it is now literally rubbish. Now bought a KitchenAid, which is probably what we should have done in the first place. Take heed!

Linda

LindaSydney, NSW

Sunbeam cafe mixmaster

I brought my sunbeam cafe mixmaster not long ago and I love it I've always had a sunbeam mixmaster over the years and I've never had any problems with them it mixes great and whips up cream and egg white fast I would highly recommend it if your thinking of buying one .

Three-Year Wonder

We bought the Sunbeam Cafe Series II back in August 2013 and it was going fine until recently when it suddenly went Zit! and stopped working. There was a flicker of light from the back and a burning smell. Am in the process of deciding whether to have it repaired (apparently the power board has gone). Less than three years old and not overly used, am very disappointed. While it worked great, am very reluctant to pay out more money for something that could just go Zit! again and die. Perhaps they should make them without power boards like they did in my mother's day (hers lasted more than 20 years).

Vee

VeeSydney, NSW

Extremely happy!

I bought this and didn't know what to expect as I've read mixed reviews. Anyhow, I'm very happy I stuck with my original thoughts on Brand. The red colour is gorgeous for a start. I love the fact you can select a power setting and there's a display timer to ensure you don't under/over beat. For such a powerful machine, it's super quiet! I use it at least twice per week and I can't complain. I'm a super happy camper :)

BlueznRootz

BlueznRootzPutaruru

Great, for 18 months... then boom!

I bought this Mixmaster 19 months ago and have used it every 2nd / 3rd day over the last 6 months. I make sourdough bread every 2 or 3 days and prefer to use a mixer. This is my first mixer. The motor was fine until this morning when there was a loud crack and a burning smell. And no response after that. How sad... and I'm not happy. I paid NZ$390.00... a lot of money for me. The attachments were good, a scraper, whisker, mixer and dough hook, all the options I wanted. But 19 months performance for $390 is not good by my book.

Mareeasked

Cafe Series Planetary Mixmaster MX9200

can anyone tell me if I get a glass bowl that is compatible with my MX9200?

Hi Maree,
Sorry no you can't the only bowl that is compatible to this machine is the metal bowl.

Maree

Oh that's disappointing...glass bowls are better for cakes etc
Thanks away

Anna K.asked

Cafe Series Planetary Mixmaster MX9200

A screw has loosened itself and fallen out. It came out of hole that is very close to where you put yr beater attachments when using or changing them over. I have tried to screw it back in but it doesn't hold and the I can't use the mixer anymore. There is power and I can hear the motor but it doesn't do anything. Please help!!!

Hi Anna K,
Attached is our Sunbeam website https://www.sunbeam.com.au/ if you click on this & scroll to the bottom of the page you will service agent locator if you tap on that it will show all the service agents in your area & they should be able to assist you.

Sue

Sueasked

Cafe Series Planetary Mixmaster MX9200

My head no longer comes completely up so hard to remove mixer heads and bowl - how do we get into the head to fix.

Hi Sue,

See all Sunbeam Cafe Series Planetary Mixmaster MX9200 questions

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives

Sunbeam Cafe Series Planetary Mixmaster MX9200

Overall, reviewer opinions about this Sunbeam benchtop mixer were fairly divided, with the number of 4 and 5-star reviews roughly totalling the number of 1-star reviews. Individual experiences withthis Sunbeam stand mixer were varied with this stand mixer were varied - with positive reviews, negative reviews, and not too many in between.

Features:

• A generously sized 4.5L steel mixing bowl allows you to prepare larger batches at a time, suitable for families or a couple inviting guests over
  • The inclusion of a planetary mixing action function should mean that beaters repeatedly and thoroughly revolve around the mixing bowl to mix and scrape ingredients, so not even a little bit is left behind to form clumps
  • Includes the following attachments - a die-cast beater, dough hook, Spatula Beater, whisk and splashguard. All of these are, conveniently, dishwasher safe.
  • A durable die-cast metal construction caters to longevity, while the stainless steel finish provides effortless coordination with a variety of kitchen design schemes
  • Includes a number of in-built safety features. For example, when the mixer header is lifted, the motor is programmed to automatically cut out

Points of praise for the Sunbeam Café Series Planetary Mixmaster:

• Plenty of brand loyalty was displayed towards Sunbeam, with many reviewers saying they usually swore by Sunbeam products (this was true for reviewers who gave both positive and negative feedback)
  • This mixer generally works well for mixing a variety of ingredients, particularly for baked goods such as cakes and cookies

Pain points with this Sunbeam benchtop mixer:

• It doesn’t cream butter and sugar effectively, with a number of reviewers stating that raw ingredients stick to the sides or remain at the bottom of the bowl
  • Some reviewers suggested that this stand mixer isn’t as heavy duty or reliable as the product specs, along with the materials of the body and bowl, would suggest
  • The mixer struggles to do its job sometimes, which is evidenced by a straining or grounding sound the motor makes.
Compare all 4 Sunbeam Cafe Series Planetary Mixmaster MX9200
CategoryBenchtop Food MixersBenchtop Food MixersBenchtop Food MixersBenchtop Food Mixers
TypeBenchtopBenchtopBenchtopBenchtop