VerifiedMPNs:2327, EM0440 and SEM0440

SuziSoutheast, SA23 posts
Cinders
CindersBrisbane2 posts

Failed on second use

The first time I used this, it worked extremely well, despite the less than helpful instruction booklet. One month later I tried using it again and I ended up with something resembling potting mix strewn all over the kitchen bench. The fine setting no longer worked. The medium setting likewise. The coarse setting produced potting mix, which I’m sure is not wanted for any kind of coffee maker.
I tried taking it apart, cleaning it, setting it up again. Same result. Half a kilo of wasted coffee beans and a mess to clean up.
Fail. Show details
trob1961Perth, WA4 posts

A great value grinder

For the price one would be hard pressed to find a better value ginder. Here are some tips from a long time EM 0440 user. Don't just add the amount of beans you want to grind. Keep enough beans in the hopper to stop the beans from jumping. Give the hopper lid a little tap to clear gound beans. Like every grinder it will need a regular clean. Don't expect it to do above and beyond what it is designed to do. I'm very happy with my little workhorse and use it daily for my V60, Espresso, French Press. Moka Pot and pour over coffees. I'm lucky enough to live in Parakan, Central Java and have access to some outstanding coffees. Damned if I'm not going to live here without a reliable coffee ginder. Show details ·  3
Xzh
Xzh

Sam Flanagan
Sam Flanagan2 posts

Great Grind, still going strong after 16mths

We had researched grinders for a while and were on a budget, but we didn’t want to scrimp on the burrs. We were lucky to find the Sunbeam EM0440 as it had all the features we needed, smallish, stylish, lots of grind options AND it was really well priced. Perfect for domestic use as you have to hold the portafilter or grind holder against the trigger, but we don’t mind. We are now enjoying delicious crema espressos and wished we had found this model earlier.
Edit update Jan 2024 - still going strong and the adjustable grind settings from fine to coarse are great depending on freshness of beans and brew method. Very happy with our purchase. Show details ·  1
m.dawes
m.dawesGippsland, VIC3 posts

Minimal fuss grinder

Purchase as a price match at around $90, I am pleased with its ability and ease of use. It comes with a few accessories that I don't really use if I'm going to be honest but good to have none the less. Show details
ARC
ARC4 posts

Only worked for 1 year

Ground too coarse after 1 year of use and couldn't get it to grind fine coffee for a stovetop. Even put in 3 spacers as recommeneded but still it would not work properly. Waste of time and money. Bad product. Would not recommend, unless you're happy to buy a new one every year. Guess you get what you pay for.... Show details
Clare G.
Clare G.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA7 posts
  Fair Incentive Verified

Does not burn coffee

Need to be prepared for loud noise. Keep the brush that comes with it as you will need it. I brush break off bits of beans from the burrs regularly to keep the grinder in top shape Show details ·  1
irishpete
irishpete27 posts

tfe
tfe2 posts

Great value. Compliments my EM7000 perfectly. Best espresso ever

All grinders and all espresso machines need to be cleaned regularly or they fail to satisfy. Fresh-ground beans are oily and sticky so will eventually clog up both machines. This grinder gets bad reviews when it has been assembled incorrectly. We had hiccups at first and now have a reliable routine that keeps it reliable. After a lot of use it did need the burrs re-shimmed and luckily we could do that. All burr grinders will eventually need this done. Show details ·  2
Jess
JessSydney, NSW2 posts

Sunbeam EM0440 Grinder Does Not Grind to Fine

Bought this grinder from Amazon. First time grind produced coarse coffee even though setting is fine grind. Sunbeam Customer Care sent two (2) washers but the grind is still not so fine. Another set of double washers was requested which I fitted under the burr. The grinder is now working fine with the added washers. Show details
Sunbeam   DM

Hello Jess, Thank you for your Feedback.

RedBren
RedBren2 posts

Good Value

Good value for the $’s. Not too noisy, grind is fine for filter coffee. Just ensure correct assembly after cleaning as per previous posts. Only downside is coffee grinds held in spout at end of grind - easily dislodged with a couple of taps (now part of my grind ritual).
Recommended Show details ·  1
Micemeat
MicemeatHobart, TAS33 posts

Auto Grinder

Great grinder, makes it easy and fresh!
Easy to setup, nice adjustment for grind consistency and work well.

However can be messy at times, comes with a nozzle to aim and improve lost coffee/spread however even so still makes a large mess of coffee grind around the unit.

Ordering a metal peace that makes the coffee head wider and taller to prevent this from happening. Show details ·  2

Christine
ChristineFar North Queensland, QLD51 posts

I.S
I.S

A product that is faulty from the start

I bought this with a sunbeam espresso machine. Spent quite a few days trying to get the thing to grind correctly. Upon doing a little search on google I discovered that it is common for these grinders to not grind your coffee fine enough for an espresso machine as it should be coming with an extra washer. Sunbeam are aware of this also as when you call them they will send you an extra spacer to try fix the problem. So 3 calls later and a 3 weeks of waiting for the part to arrive, I add a spacer to find that it has changed nothing. Will be demanding my money back this week. Product should not be on the shelf.

Show details

Sunbeam   DM

HI I.S, sorry to hear. It must be something else so yes, please return to store of purchase

Frequently Asked Questions about Sunbeam GrindFresh EM0440

After cleaning my grinder, the coffee grounds come out too coarse; how can I fix this?

Setting up the grinder after cleaning requires a little extra care than the initial setup, please follow the below steps for perfect grinding:

1. Once both the burrs are cleaned, return the grinder adjustment collar to the grinder base by aligning the notch on the collar with the arrow on the rear of the grinder base.
  2. Return the top burr to the grind adjustment collar using the handle by aligning the arrow seen on the collar with the arrow seen on the burr.
  3. Push the burr handle in. See step 3 in below figure.
  4. Turn clockwise to the desired grind setting.
  5. Now attach the bean hopper. Insert the bean hopper by aligning the notches on the base of the hopper with the guides on the inside of the collar. Position until the hopper sits flat.
  6. To lock the collar and bean hopper into place, hold the collar and turn it clockwise until the ‘UNLOCK’ button releases.

Sunbeam Helpful tip: When returning the top burr to the grind adjustment collar, please ensure that the top burr sits level with the grind adjustment collar. If the top burr does not sit level with the grind adjustment collar, it has been inserted incorrectly.

Why is my grinder making a loud noise?

Check for any blockages. If there is a blockage, please follow the cleaning steps illustrated on page 7 of the product manual.

My coffee gets caught in the chute and sprays everywhere, what should I do?

Clean the residue from the chute. Try grinding into a container closer to the spout, then pour into the group handle. This will catch the grinds which are statically charged and going in all directions.

Why is there no difference to my grind despite adjusting the settings?

Check the grinder burr is seated properly.

My burrs are not aligned, how do I fix it?

Make sure everything is clean, with no obstructions.

When inserting the top burr into the grind adjustment collar, please ensure that the top burr sits level with the grind adjustment collar.

If the top burr does not sit level/aligned with the grind adjustment collar, it has been inserted incorrectly.

How do I achieve consistency in my grind?

1. Use beans from the same brand, blend and volume. Ensure beans are fresh before use.
  2. Make sure all parts are clean before each use.
  3. Experiment with the amount of time in which you grind the coffee beans.
  4. Over time as blades start to wear, slowly adjust your grinding time.

Where can I get professional repairs and spare parts?

You can get professional repairs and spare parts with Sunbeam service agents.

Latest Consumer Questions

Sevenoh

What grind level for moka pot?
Ta

Clarissa
Clarissa

Hi,
Just used my new grinder and it's so slow, it's taking over a minute to grind a small amount, any suggestions?

trob1961

Are your beans fresh and how fine are you grinding? I've been using the same model grinder for years and find it works just fine. If you're used to using a Ditting or other professional grinder the Sunbeam will seem slow.

Itinka
Itinka

EM440 been stored for over 12 months. Reassembled collar and hopper as per manual. Grinder will not respond to trigger switch, even after trying various power points.

What checks can I do?