MPN: SEM0440

Auto Grinder

Great grinder, makes it easy and fresh!
Easy to setup, nice adjustment for grind consistency and work well.

However can be messy at times, comes with a nozzle to aim and improve lost coffee/spread however even so still makes a large mess of coffee grind around the unit.

Ordering a metal peace that makes the coffee head wider and taller to prevent this from happening.

Purchased in December 2018.

Hi Micemeat, Thank you for reviewing our EM0440. The spraying of the coffee grinds coming out can be static that builds up and causes grinds to block the spout. A way to minimise this is to remove the hopper ad top burr. The insert a soft cloth down into the grinder and push it through the spout. In a up & down motion pull the cloth a few times. This will loosen grinds caught by the static that creates a blockage. Hope this helps Kind Regards, SunbeamStatic it is for sure, This has however happened since new, I will give this a go, when I have a chance. Thanks, Jordan.

Second Sunbeam Grinder, it's performing well.

This new model looks a lot more plastic and cheaper than the old model in the nice Stainless, but it's the way things are going I guess. The previous model I have used for 8 years without it missing a beat, and I only got the new model as giving the other one away with my coffee machine to be used in my husband's office. Ignore the book where it says a grind of 12 or more for expresso machines. I have never done a grind over 7 with the old model, and have been down to 5 for the last year as I gather the burrs are not as sharp. So I started this model on 5 but have dropped it to 3 where I got a beautiful strong drop of crema. This is using store bought Lavazza beans, but the weather temperature and using fresh beans always requires some fine tuning, so it's all about getting it right for your machine. I am also using the slip on spout cover so it directs the grind downwards into the filter basket, although any grinding of coffee always make a mess.

Purchased in May 2019 at Harvey Norman for $99.00.

Hi Christine, thank you for the review, we value feedback given by customers...Well, after 3 days I decided to take the grinder back to Harvey Norman and they gave me a full refund no questions asked. I made a mistake in thinking that it was a new model of my previous grinder. It isn't, it's the cheapest one in their range. There wasn't one in store like the one I gave away. So that's why I was disappointed with the plastic etc. Anyway, my coffee was terribly inconsistent, and the grind had to go down to ONE to actually be fine enough, so that made me take action. I decided to treat myself to a much better quality and more expensive grinder and I moved right away from Sunbeam and Breville after reading many reviews of their current products. I believe the grinder I purchased from Sunbeam 10 years ago with my first Cafe Series coffee machine was a good one and I think it will continue to perform very well. But the newer stuff on the shelf...not sure.

A product that is faulty from the start

I bought this with a sunbeam espresso machine. Spent quite a few days trying to get the thing to grind correctly. Upon doing a little search on google I discovered that it is common for these grinders to not grind your coffee fine enough for an espresso machine as it should be coming with an extra washer. Sunbeam are aware of this also as when you call them they will send you an extra spacer to try fix the problem. So 3 calls later and a 3 weeks of waiting for the part to arrive, I add a spacer to find that it has changed nothing. Will be demanding my money back this week. Product should not be on the shelf.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
HI I.S, sorry to hear. It must be something else so yes, please return to store of purchase

Value for money

i had mixed thoughts about this product based on some of the less positive reviews but Sunbeam seem to have fixed up all the issues. I put it together without reading the instructions. Big tick. No need to assemble the grinding wheels - all done already. Another tick . Sunbeam have added a rubber (silicon) 45 degree nozzle to the hard plastic spout so 99% of coffee goes into the group. tick. Will check the grinding wheels to see if i have missed something but all seems to be wring well. It seems to be very good value for money.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Thanks for the great review Don!

Average

It does the job. I'm sure there are better grinders that are more consistent. But it is cheap and effective enough for the purpose. It is however poorly designed. Quite an amount of grind stays behind inside and builds up on itself unless the machine is shaken or bashed, or a brush is inserted to get at the grounds. Maybe a little too compact? Particularly messy when coming out. Static maybe?

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Andrew Westcott, Grinders do tend to be a bit messy when grinding, always looking at ways to improve our products so thank you, we will take on board...

A good little coffee bean grinder.

I bought a Sunbeam EM0440 coffee bean grinder on the net from Amazon, and was delighted on its quick arrival. I tested it straight away after reading the instructions and found it to be very easy to use and it has a good progression indicator of coffee grounds, from very course to very fine. The cost was very reasonable for the product. Very happy with my purchase of the Sunbeam GrindFresh EM0440. Cheers.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Hey Gaz, So glad you are pleased with the Grinder, agreed it is at a good price point for the performance. Thank you for the positive review...My grinder does the job with ease to my favourite consistency, thanks Sunbeam.

Good budget grinder

This machine initially would only grind very coarse until I worked out how to assemble it properly. You must set the upper burr in place in the top assembly before attaching the top assembly to the base. The upper burr then should sit lower than the surrounding rim. It now seems to be working fine.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Rubbish

Too coarse! dont waste your money. it will destroy your day as you will be drinking sandy coffee. I had to put my hand on top to push down to make it finer (the adjustment did not work properly). but it will not provide even fine coffee. so I gave up making my own coffee because this machine.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

How to fix grind that’s too coarse

The grind was always too course no matter how many times we reassembled it. I googled like crazy & found gold from someone called Sneedy on a whirlpool forum who said “You need to sit the top burr into the adjustment collar (rotate it until you feel it click' – the white marks should be aligned but more importantly it will sit lower than in any other position) *BEFORE* fitting both (as a unit) onto the base.” Thanks Sneedy! Worked a treat.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

coffee at a new level

Easy assembly and fill and to set grind size. I use it for a low-to-mid-range espresso machine and find that the fine grind settings are too fine for the machine to push water through. Mid-range is perfect with a nice even grind. Only gripe is it is a little messy on the counter top if grinding directly into the espresso cup thing. but this is par-for the course and most falls on the little tray anyway. Also, have option to grind into a jar which eliminates this mess and allows for a weekly grinding if that is your thing.Happy with my purchase and looking for decent decaf beans to blend in the hopper so I don't destroy myself with all the extra coffee I'm drinking. Kitchen smell awesome with the fresh coffee grind smell. The little blade grinders are no comparison and this didn't cost much more than a decent one of them.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Excellent Value - 3 WEEK UPDATE

SEE UPDATE BELOW >>>
I received my EM0440 as a gift but I had specified this model after first reviewing the market myself.
I have been using it for 3 days now and the only surprises have been good.
Based on other reviews I anticipated an overly coarse grind and was prepared to go through the steps others have stated, namely disassembly and shimming the burr. So I set my first grind on the finest setting (1) and the machine wouldn't even feed the beans through. I raised it to (3) and the grinding proceeded slowly with what was a very fine product. When I tried it in the espresso machine nothing came out - it was so fine that the filter was effectively blocked. I did another grind at setting (10) and the grinding was much faster and the espresso machine produced very good coffee with a good percentage of crema.
I then read the grinder manual and found that their lowest recommended setting for espresso was (12). I have continued using the grinder now set at (15) and the grind proceeds rapidly and the espresso shot is good. So my fears about a coarse grind were wrong - this machine can produce a full range of grinds from Turkish to espresso and upwards straight out of the box.
Overall this machine is a worthwhile (and necessary) step up from pre-ground coffee and in fact for me it is less messy. It's so easy to plug in the portafilter which starts the grinding and rapidly fills the basket. A couple of taps and a further grind overfills the basket which can then be tamped, wiped clean (over the sink) and assembled for use with no mess to clean up.
I expect to experiment with different coffee beans and grinds for a while until my lattes are consistently good.
At this price ($99) I didn't expect much but I have been pleasantly surprised.
I rated it 5 stars with respect to the price - obviously there are much more expensive machines which should last longer and may keep a more consistent grind but for a single user and 2 cups a day this machine is excellent value.
>>>> 3 WEEK UPDATE <<<<<
A note on the grind size. It seems that the grinding burrs have slowly bedded in. I have had to gradually change the setting from an initial 15 down to currently 5. The grind is now somewhat finer and more uniform and seems to be just right for an optimum flow rate from my espresso machine. i.e. neither too fast nor too slow as judged by the density of crema delivered.
Still going well.....

Date PurchasedAug 2017

The grind is too coarse

Recently brought an EM7100 coffee machine, and went back yesterday and purchased the EM0440 grinder. The grind is just coming out too coarse. On every setting, the grind is the same. I pulled it apart twice, and put it together again after reading some reviews. I cannot get the grind any finer. It will be getting returned to Harvey Norman. Extreamly disappointed.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Excellent.. but beware of setting up the burrs correctly

A really great product when set up correctly. At first the grind was too course regardless of setting even though I had set up the machine as directed in the instructions. After reading other reviews I decided to take the machine apart and put it back together.. worked great the second time around producing a fine powder perfect for my espresso machine. If not for that initial issue, easily a 5 star machine.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Motor runs but burr doesn't move

Purchased from AppliancesOnline, received it today. Followed instructions to put it together but It doesn't work at all. I can hear the motor sound which suggest the motor is runs but the burr doesn't seem to move at all, no matter what setting it is at. The beans are not being ground.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Turned out the grinder was damaged in transit, refunded by ApplicancesOnline, later bought same model from the good guys and it works good.

Easy to use, makes great coffee

I have to say, this machine makes great coffee. I've been using a German made hand grinder for years. Thought an electric grinder would save time but was surprised to discover it does an even better job of grinding coffee than even the German hand grinder. My coffee actually tastes better! Adjustment and control is a breeze with the accurate dial ring and push button start/stop. Easy to disassemble and clean - once I learned how to do it. Saves so much time and has a well made Italian burr. I recommend the suggestion below of grind-tamp-grind-tamp to avoid making a mess. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy and tidy. I just hope it's reliable. Had it three months so far with no sign of issues.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

I love this grinder

I've had my EMO440 for about a month now and I couldn't have expected more from a machine designed for home use. Like anything there has been a learning curve, but definitely nailed it now. My friend bought a Fiorenzato and paid $1200.00 for it and I haven't had the heart to tell him, "my coffee is equally as good". Oh and I should mention the bonus. I'm using half as much coffee as I was with my old grinder. Saving four or five bucks a week, it will have paid for itself in about 20 weeks.

Date PurchasedJul 2016
Hi Phil, Thank you for your great feedback on the Sunbeam EM0440! Sunbeam love to hear our customers saving their money by simply using our products! I think your friend needs to jump on the Sunbeam train!!! If you require any further advise or information on the unit, please don't hesitate to give our Customer Care Team a call on 1300 881 861 and one of our representatives will be more than happy to assist. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Don't waste your money

Thought I'd go with a well known brand believing tis better to buy quality to avoid problems - boy was I wrong. No matter how I tried could not get the machine to cut any finer than super coarse. no adjustment ... threw it in the garbage in disgust.. don't waste your money

Hi Agro, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Sunbeam

Excellent grinder and a cheap entry price for a first time buyer!

I've had this grinder for 3 months now and it hasn't missed one beat! I use it almost daily and works wonders. Cheap, simple, effective. Only some things to say about it, but none the less I will still give it a 5 star review:
- The group handle holder (2 different sizes) is useless. Don't install it as you still have to press the grinding button with the same group handle. After the second or third time you'll get the hang of it and won't need it.
- Definitely install the rubber nozzle. I grind 3 times (grind, press, grind, press, grind, press) and I waste less coffee than when I use to get it grinded. It can get messy, but it won't if you don't let it spill while grinding.
- The manual says that for a home esspresso machine you need to have it in the 12-15 coarse setting. Took me a bit to realize that I had to go down all the way to 3 to get a fine grind for my machine. Don't go by what the manual says in terms of the grind, try it out yourself.
Awesome grinder, even better price!

Hi Juan Thank you for your great feedback on the Sunbeam EM0440! If you require any further advise or information on the unit, please don't hesitate to give our Customer Care Team a call on 1300 881 861 and one of our representatives will be more than happy to assist. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Practice makes perfect

Originally I was going to give a poor review, but after reading someone else's trial/error/solution I found what I'd done wrong & it works perfectly again. Listen, this is an entry level domestic burr grinder, you can't expect heaven, but this does a really consistent grind and is fine enough for great espresso in a home espresso machine; it can also be set coarse for plungers etc... As others have mentioned it can be messy, but I used it frequently everyday (house of 5 adults) for over a year without a problem, it ground well. I recently moved & had a problem on re-assembling that the grind was extremely coarse & dirty, even after a proper cleaning. Turns out I hadn't correctly locked the base grinder into place... On correcting this my grind is back to greatness. At the end of the day, with a manual grinder, your dosing and ramping will make the biggest difference to your espresso, & to have that meet your desires takes practice. This grinder is a good one for that job, especially at the price-point.

Hi Oxy, Thank you for your great feedback on the Sunbeam EM0440! If you require any further advise or information on the unit, please don't hesitate to give our Customer Care Team a call on 1300 881 861 and one of our representatives will be more than happy to assist. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Great machine but quality issues in first months of use

I used to service electronics products and have worked on both Breville and Sunbeam coffee machines and the Brevilles IMHO were of lesser quality than the Sunbeam products; I mention this to put into perspective as well how I rate the overall quality of the two competing products.

My EM0440 grinder works well, albeit the grind does not always pour out the spout smoothly as mentioned by others. Its not stopped, it just jumps out which is not perfect for filling Group Heads, but its not a biggie.

As far as the grind quality goes I find after 2 years use still grinding a very reliable fine grind with setting between 11-12 (just under mid way). No need at this stage to install washers (as mentioned by others). I suspect the reason for the washer need is due to burrs going blunt; dirty or home roasted coffee beans maybe?

Fault in mine was the bean hopper disperser cover broke off the hopper. Thats the inside thingy with 3 legs. Its poorly made and despite no stress caused by user, just broke. Sunbeam (full marks for support) supplied a new hopper bowl which comes with grinder outside which is nice because the broken one still works, and when that gets blunt I have a brand new spare!

The machine is noisy; you cant talk while its running but every other grinder Ive used is noisy as well.

Im very happy with this grinder. Would I buy it again, and would I recommend it to a friend - YES

Oh I just add I purchased a replacement coffee machine EM7000 which needs a good grinder. Thought I would have to replace this one but no, it grinds just fine but I have had to reduce to around 5-8 grind setting. This grinder is not shimmed, and still puts out reliable grinds every time. Note that different coffee grinds differently which is odd, but if you change brands seems you need to adjust grind.

How do the beans get from the hopper to the grinders? I cannot open the clear plastic blockers between hopper and grinders. Is my alignment of white marks correct when the hopper slots onto the grind collar? In five hours I haven not ground one single bean yet.
Sorry Thomas to hear of your problems I don’t have this grinder anymore, I took back to Hervey Norman and upgraded to a Baratza, which gives me more pleasure to use, not to mention a better coffee.Hi Thomas S-P, Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. If the hopper is locked into position correctly and securely, the hopper gates (at the bottom of the hopper) should open up. When it is turned - the spring connection pulls the gates open and closed. You can see this happen by putting the hopper on without any beans or lid. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Hello, we recently purchased a Sunbeam EM6910 coffee machine and the conical burr grinder. I was wondering what the best setting on the grinder was for this type of machine? I know their are many variables in play here but I wanted a starting point. Cheers
I've had my grinder for about 4-5 months now and I'm still adjusting it. as a start, for a home machine I recommend starting with 14 and moving your way back to 12, using taste as your guideline. Always remember to tap the top of the grinder after each grind to get rid of stale grinds that might get stuck in the burrs. Another suggestion: stay away from supermarket beans if you can. Find a local coffee shop that sells their roasts and you will notice a huge difference in taste and texture of your espresso. Enjoy and hope you can produce great coffee!

I was recently given a used EM0480 coffee grinder. Maybe it's just me but there seems to be something wrong with it. Although the gind is good it is so slow that it is not worth using. About 3-5 mins for a double shot. Anybody have any ideas? The only other burr grinder that I use occasionally takes only 10-15 seconds to do the same amount. I don't feel that I can ask the person who gave it to me as she may think I'm ungrateful.
That's definitely faulty. my EM0440 grinds a double shot on setting 12 in around 8-9 seconds...

CategoryCoffee Grinders / Roasters