Sunbeam Cafe Series Espresso EM7000

it's alright

I have had mine for about five months after I swapped it with the lower model by Sunbeam and it's been ok. I use the Breville BCG820 Grinder coffee grinder and they make a good pair.

The filter basket is solid, heavy and professional grade. I use the one shot basket only. Design-wise I think they should have designed a greater clearance so that taller mugs can slide in without tipping (with the porta filter attached). The max height cup that you can slide in without tipping is 90mm.

The quality of the stainless steel is good and it wipes down well after each use.

I suspect the built in "thermometer" of the milk frother spout is actually not a thermometer but works on a timer and assumes you are using the mug they supply and are using cold milk to the level in the mug that is recommended.

Because I use my own mug I find that if I follow the built-in thermometer it heats the milk above 65C. So I use a $5 battery operated thermometer from K-Mart and once you have done it a number of times your own hands become a pretty accurate thermometer and I tend to heat the milk just right without the built-in thermometer. The spout is a nice length and girth and clean easily enough. No trouble at all frothing and espressing simultaneously as there are twin heaters.

I have not found the need to tweak any of the factory settings. So far so good. Oh btw I read a review left by someone here that his pressure meter did not budge while es-pressing. I think it could have been because of stale coffee beans, that happened once when we came back from a two week holiday during which time the coffee beans became stale. Always use the best beans! If you are using the correct amount of grind you will see the faint pattern of the shower head on the grind which should be steaming and dry looking. You will also note that you have to knock with force to dislodge the used grind into the knock box. And it should dislodge as one complete cake with only a few bits of coffee grind to be wiped off.

Purchased in April 2019 at The Good Guys.

GrinderBreville BCG820 (Grinder)
Hi boyadine, Thank you for the great review! You know your coffee well. This is a great machine indeed. Well noted about the height of mug/cup size that is under the group head. We usually just remove the metal tray to fit. The steam thermoblock is programmed to a default setting and the temperature can be increased. Your review is very informative for other readers and we really do appreciate it. Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Avoid, buy something else

As others have said, it starts well then deteriorates and becomes difficult to make a good espresso. After 18 months the coffee is just terrible. Seems others have had this experience. By the way, this is after it has already been in for a service once (a few months out of warranty and they refused to waive the service fee). When I called customer support they advised me on how to grind, tamper and grams required. As they knew, we have had an espresso machine for over a decade - we know how to adjust all those factors to make a good coffee. Zero acknowledgement that may be their product is the problem - it's all the customers lack of skills. Even when water does not leak and it comes through at the correct pressure, the coffee is still tasteless. We gave up after the last six months of difficulties and inconsistencies and instead purchased an Italian coffee machine as a replacement.

Purchased in November 2017 at The Good Guys for $600.00.

Product is used: Daily
Hi aldo08, Sorry to hear you had these problems, we will take your feedback on board...

very disapointed with this product

i purchased this product 2 weeks ago ,and after having previous model ,and being so happy with it (8 years it was great ) i decided to stay with sunbeam,unfortunately the em 7000 is not working as advertised ,the pressure guage does not rise no matter what i do. tried a new grinder and different grinds,i then decided to use the old double floor basket from my old machine, at least there is some crema now on coffee. help !! what is going on ?

Purchased in April 2019 for $620.00.

Consistency
Hi Marcia, I do not know why the new machine is not showing pressure as it is very similar in make up to the old model. Have you tried putting the disc in to test the pressure? Maybe give us a call on 1300 881 861 to go through with you...thank you i will try that ,cheers

Ordinary for the money - paid $750

Works well for about 12 months. Took great care of it, usually only 1 coffee made per. Lasted about 18 months. Absolute junk after that. This is my 2nd one. The other got replaced by retailer.
Problems: Coffee often cold, machine would overheat after a few mins, etc

Purchased in May 2017.

GrinderSunbeam Cafe Series Conical Burr Grinder II EM0500
Hi Ryan, Sorry to hear of your experience with your EM7000 coffee machine. We would love to assist you further. Please call us on 1300 861 881.What a waste of time that was!!! Firstly, wrong number listed. Then the lady that says shouldn't happen, not much I can do other than apologise. Why the need for me to ring? I can only assume the quality of the customer service is the same as the coffee machine.

From BES870 to Em7000

My bes 870 broke just replaced it ..spent best part of 500 grams of beans and couldn't get the shot right ..was using my best 870 grinder so I went to merlo coffee and they sell fresh ground coffee but they grind it to suit the machine .. so I get home use the new coffee ore ground and the machine pulls a perfect shot ...just made my 2nd coffee and the same perfect results tomorrow I'll go look at a grinder . The difference from the fine grind on the best 870 to what I got from merlo ...the merlo coffee was almost like powder and my bes870 grinder is no where near fine enough ...don't be put off if you can not get the shots right .. spend $11.50 at merlo for 250 g and ground o tour machines specs ....at least I found out it me and the grinder .. ..

Purchased in March 2019 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $600.00.

Product is used: Daily
Hi GraGra, Thanks for the great feedback and review!

4 years on

I just made a coffee and thought holy smokes I can't believe this thing is still making great coffee after 4+ years. Pair this up with a good grinder (its crucial to grind your own beans for good coffee) and you are in business! We have even taken this with us when we have stayed at a holiday house, so its a sturdy unit.

Date PurchasedJan 2015
Thanks for the great review Woodze.

12 Months on

Some one & a half years have passed since I purchased this unit following the failure of my old machine & I thought it was about time that I took pen to paper to view my thoughts on the above unit.
Firstly a quick run-down of its features, twin boilers - enables you to extract & froth your milk at the same time, this does this may not seem important but when you are making coffee for a number of guests the time saved at the machine is a welcome relief, the tank holds 3 litres of water (with inbuilt filter) a generous amount, various programming adjustments enabling you to adjust the machine to your brewing liking & cleaning programs, having said this I find the standard settings suit me down to the ground.
My old machine was an EM6900 which had served me for over four year before failing and I had no hesitation on replacing it with another Sunbeam unit. I could have had it repaired but living in a country town and no local service agent was a hassle & the opportunity to buy a new machine with an inbuilt temperature probe & gauge was too much to resist. Was it worth having the inbuilt temp probe & display gauge worthwhile? My answer is a definite yes.
The machine has worked perfectly over the time owned & makes a great cup of coffee, my unit is paired with a Breville BCG820 Grinder (this replaced my old Sunbeam EM480 grinder) & I will list the steps taken to produce what I consider a great cup of coffee using the two units. Firstly, I use a VST coffee grinder basket (both single & double quantity) matched to a Pullman coffee tamper in place of the units supplied, these baskets hold a few grams more ground coffee & as we use 250ml coffee mugs & I find the little bit extra produces a coffee to my liking. If you are using a smaller cup then you can use the standard basket, but if you are like me & love the feel of the heavier tamper then update. Adjusting the dose & grind of ground the coffee can be a challenge to the new comer but using these two units correctly will enable you to produce the result required, the dose in the filler should reach the water dispersing plate when the handle is inserted, if your dose is correct you will find a neat pattern of the water dispersing plate when the handle is removed, if the coffee in the basket is soggy or not smooth (pattern) then adjust the quantity of the dose up till it is. Once this point is reached you can adjust the grind to give you a perfect extraction. I have found over the years the daily temperature does make a difference to the grind, as an example in the Winter I might grind 4 clicks on the grinder courser than in the Summer so minor changes to your settings are required as the seasons change. You will also find that a different grind is required between 1 & 2 cup baskets to get the best out of your machine. Also different settings will be required when using different types of coffee beans.
I hope these notes help you come to a decision that is best for you.

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Thanks for the great review RoboCook, and the fantastic tips on making the perfect cup of coffee!

Best at home coffee machine!!

This machine delivers exceptional coffee every time! I have had it for approximately 3 years now with no faults at all! Only downfall, more work required due to it being manual. The idea was though, that you can make it how you want it with the steam nozzle. However for the sake of saving time when your in a rush, I would go with one of those 'one button' coffee machines that still use beans. Still a great machine for those who have that extra time.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Thanks for the great review Bonnie!No problem! I only speak the truth

need more warranty 12 month is not enough

Mine is just 12 months old one week out of warranty and the milk s not coming out properly the rest of the machine is fine, I was hoping to get more than 12 months out of this machine , very disappointed. cant fault the machine any other way, good coffee, the coffee great , there should be more than 12 months warranty on this product, clean it as noted, but still wont pump milk right.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Hi sandy, Sorry to hear of the problem. Please give our team a call on 1300 881 861 to see if we can assistwent back to BIG w they gave me a new one

Love this coffee machine

I previously had an old Delonghi machine which was failing and I needed to buy a replacement to be able to continue feeding my coffee addiction in the morning. After shopping around, my sister suggested i look into the Sunbeam models as she had an EM6910 which had lasted her 7 years of off and on usage.

After doing research and pricing I settled on the EM7000 and EM0480 Grinder combo (Recommended) as the EM6910 was no longer sold.

I was very impressed with the quality of the machine when I got it home and it felt solid and looked awesome out of the box. My first few pours were one of trial and error with the Grinder. Once I got that right, the machine told me I was pouring with the correct grind level as the little dial tells you this by indicating 'Grey' for grounds are too coarse or red for grounds are too fine or too tightly packed.

The water wasn't too hot and the coffee was fantastic in Espresso format. The next step was to try the milk frother which worked a treat and the hot water spout did its thing. With a bit of practice I was able to make Lattes like they do at the local Cafe and for a fraction of the cost.

Overall I am extremely happy with this machine 4 years on from purchasing it and it shows no sign of slowing down and is looking like lasting forever.

If you look after your machine including cleaning and maintenance then it will last a very long time.

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Thanks for the great review Jay!

Really wakes you up in the morning!

I absolutely am obsessed with my morning coffee and its important I have a machine that works effortless !! I have had this machine for over 2 years now and it is the best purchase I have made and worth every single cent. Never had an issue with this machine and works the best every single time I use it! Very happy customer!

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Hi Dee Dawson, great you are loving the machine!! Thank you for reviewing...

Quality Machine at Excellent price!

We are coffee snobs - the only thing we are snobbish about. When you have only one or two coffees are they have to be good. The Sunbeam delivers quality consistently.
We have had our machine for 4 1/2 years now and it's probably coming to end of life (there are signs) but it's still making great coffee.
In the early days we could not get consistently- but realised it was possibly our cheap grinder. Wr got a reasonably grinder and get perfect coffee every time. Very happy.

Date PurchasedJul 2014
Hi geffg, Great to hear it's been such a good machine for you, thanks for the review!

Superb coffee machine for the demanding home user

The EM7000 is at the upper end of consumer machines before you tip over into compact versions of commercial units. As such, it offers features aimed at the aspiring pro, with the ease of use of a more introductory consumer machine, all in a budget-friendly package. In order to meet those competing demands, it does make a few compromises but they're not ones that most users are likely to notice, let alone care about. I've summarised its performance through a few different stages of use below, each of which shows the tension of trying to meet its target market.

The time-out on the machine going into standby is just slightly too short, and it will tend to switch off just before I go back for my second coffee. But to balance that the heat-up is fast, phenomenally fast. Coming from using a range of small boiler, thermoblock and semi-commercial HX or dual boiler machines, I have been struck by how quickly the EM7000 goes from stone cold to ready to brew and steam. It's so fast, in fact, that the outside of the machine is still cold and that includes the portafilter. So you need to make sure to run a shot of water through the filter to bring it up to brew temp before loading your grinds.

The portafilter has single-wall filter baskets, which means you can escape from the myriad horrors of double-wall baskets that dominate cheaper machines. The supplied portafilter and baskets are excellent, but have limited upgrade potential in the future. While the baskets are standard 58mm width, they're not standard depth. So most off-the-shelf filters from other brands will take a slightly lower coffee dose. And the portafilter itself is of non-standard dimensions, so you can't upgrade to a naked portafilter down the track if you're inclined.

The brew controls are incredibly intuitive and easy to use, with volumetric single and double shot options. If you want to tweak it, it does have a programmable brew option as well. But after experimenting with the standard settings, I suspect they would meet the demands of 99% of users without adjustment. The pressure gauge that fires up while brewing is a nod toward the gauges on commercial machines, but the needle jumps slightly erratically, lacks a scale and is more decorative than useful. But it might slightly while dialing in your grinder.

Steaming performance is superb. Really, really superb. The steam wand is easy to use and has plenty of pressure. Not quite the pressure of a commercial, but far beyond most domestics at a pleasant mid-point that still steams fast, without needing super precise timing. It's fast enough to churn out coffees for a group of guests, without the speed you'd want in a cafe. Which is good, because that lets you stretch milk like a pro before having to spend years actually becoming a pro. There's a temperature gauge on the steamer, but like with the brew pressure gauge it's not quite precise enough to be fully useful but is a good learning tool. And of course one of the main advantages for someone coming to this from a cheaper machine, the dual thermoblocks and dual pumps of course mean you can be brewing coffees and steaming milk at the same time.

Cleaning and daily maintenance is easy, but more complex maintenance is also the weakness of balancing between domestic and commercial. Cheaper domestic machines tend to be fairly simple in construction, and easy for an owner to strip back and repair. Compact commercial machines are designed very specifically to be easy to strip back and repair, though the requisite level of owner skill to DIY the fixes is much higher. The complexities of the EM7000 that deliver its performance at that price make it nearly impossible to do any major service beyond cleaning it yourself. If you always take your machine in to the shop for repairs, this won't bother you in the slightest. But if you have always stripped back and repaired your own coffee machines, know that you might have to let someone else have that fun with your new toy.

The EM7000 is aiming for a tough target, but I think it does an admirable job of meeting its requirements. For the money, I haven't seen any other machines come close in their performance.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Hi Nick.Ward121, thank you for the informative review. I'm sure everyone will find the information very useful.

Cafe standard coffee in our own home

Once you get the grinding and packing right the coffee is superb! The machine is easy to use and easy to clean and looks sleek in our kitchen. The milk temp gauge cant be somewhat unreliable so we generally judge by feel (holding the jug) as the "desired 60 degrees" often makes the milk too hot.
Coffee comes out perfect temp and the frothing component is improved from the last model with a thicker stem and lower set temp gauge.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Thanks for the great review Jade!

Best Coffee Machine EVER!

Bought mine second hand from Cashies. Best machine ever! Used it ALOT even in my food van and it still works perfectly fine! Sunbeam grinder is a pearler too!! Froths milk really well with temp gaugeDo not buy Delonghi or Saeco, save the money and stick to Sunbeam, you wont regret it!

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Thanks for the great review nothappyjan49!

Over used and still going

This machine is built like a German tank, it’s unbreakable.
Love it.
It churns out 1kg a week in our home and has not shown any signs of giving up.
Worth every dollar!
This machine gets cleaned on the first day of every new season.
It’s easy to use. Love it

Date PurchasedMay 2013
That's the way it should be and the fact you descale and clean it regularly really makes a difference. Hope you enjoy many more coffees!!!!

Great for practicing

The thing is not that big, perfect for people who just started to learn the skills as the price is quite reasonable, the heat up time is around 18-22mins which i think is quick, the coffees outcome is great and it’s also easy to make a nice coffee and clean the thing, but sometimes the machine is a little bit noisy, but it’s good overall

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Hi Tamieee, thanks for the great review!! However, 18 - 22 mins to warm up? Was this a typo as the machine should take less than a minute to warm up?

Can't live without it

I love the taste of the coffee ! The coffee is so professional and it doesn't take long to make a coffee.To be honest I can't find a nicer coffee at a cafe . Can't wait to get home for a coffee! Very easy to use & very easy to clean .

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Thanks for the great review Diana C!!

Great machine

Such a great machine that when it needed replacing after many years of daily use we got the same model again. Easy to keep clean and maintain and great quality result. Would highly recommend this machine to anyone who is a coffee lover and is after an easy to use machine.

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Hi Melinda.hickey, Thanks for the fab review, we totally agree!!!

Great Coffee But Needed Service

This is just over a year old and gets used multiple times a day at out place. We all like it and get good results most every time. Unfortunately about eight months in to ownership we has a complete failure one morning and upon servicing the whole board need replacing. It was out of action for some time although all good again now. Failures can happen and I still love the machine. Looks good and does a mean coffee.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017