Sunbeam Mixmaster Classic

Stand Mixers Buying Guide

Whether you want to splash the cash on a premium KitchenAid mixer or find the best affordable stand mixer from Kmart, here are some buying considerations to throw into the mix.

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Safety
Jen A

Jen ACentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Larraine can have our beaters

Could you please get in touch with Larraine and let her know that I am happy to send her our beaters for the MX8500 if she would be willing to pay postage.

Purchased at The Good Guys Kitchens.

LarraineSydney, NSW

No replacement beaters

I am so disappointed that I cannot buy the beaters anymore. I have broken one beater I haven’t had the mixer that long wont buy a sunbeam again. Why can’t we get replacement for beaters now I have to throw the whole thing out

Purchased in January 2019 at Myer for $199.00.

Hello
I rang Appliance repair services Nowra
They told me the beaters for this model now not available, If available they should be notified because your customers, like myself become disgruntle.

I spent $35.00 per cake or loaf of bread using the Mixmaster classic.

I bought the mixer 10 years ago, I didn’t use it much, about 12 or so times, and the mixer did what it was supposed to do. I kept it stored in a dark dry space. Firstly the sheen on the metal across top and down the sides of the body peeled off, for no apparent reason. Then the wheel stopped turning the bowl around. I took it to an old fellow who fixes things (still!) who said the brass gear in the base had shredded, and they no longer make the brass gear replacement part. So frustrating. Such a shameful waste of materials and my money. Almost worse is how far Sunbeams quality has fallen over the years. I’ve just replaced mine with a Kitchenaide.

Purchased in January 2010 for $400.00.

Jim

Jim

Uses rubbish plastic gears that crap out with normal use

The engineer that designed or selected the materials for the gears in this mixer should go back to university and relearn materials or maths or at least learn how to calculate the forces on worm gears. Id hate to think how much wasted materials sunbeam is responsible for due to these mixers going into landfill. If manufactures were responsible for the waste they produce they wouldn't design shit like this. The rest of the parts look ok; its a shame that one small crappy part renders the rest of the what appears to be a well made product useless.

Justin A.

Justin A.Hobart, TAS

Fabulous mixer

The motor is amazing, it has made my cake-making so much quicker, and easier. Yes, we have had the problem with the beaters but it was easily overcome by smoothing down the plastic collar on the beater attachment.

Purchased in May 2020 at Myer for $199.98.

So GLAD you LOVE it !
Thank you for your awesome Feedback.

Red Griffin

Red GriffinBrisbane

So stylish

Can’t understand the negative reviews, pay more if you want better, I paid $189 so it’s on the lower priced available. It’s had a good work out and works fine. It also is so stylish I’d be happy just to buy it as a feature piece for the kitchen.

Purchased in April 2020 at Myer Online Store for $189.00.

P J.

P J.Sydney, NSW

Wasted my money as motor burnt out within 3.5 years

The motor burnt out within 3.5 years. Way below my expectations.

Bowl gets stuck and took several days to dislodge.

Bowls design is pathetic and when you wash it it’s not sealed properly so water gets stuck in the base.

Purchased in May 2016 at Myer for $219.00.

Terrible, never again

I purchased the cafe series mix master some time ago but never used it. I opened it from the box yesterday as my other one had broken. I put it on the lowest setting and the speed was like the maximum setting and the mixture just kept splattering everywhere and made a mess of my kitchen. Something is definitely not right. Then the mixer started jumping around all over the bench. I turned it off and that was it.
There goes all my money in the bin as it's brand new and obviously not under warranty.
Will never purchase this brand again.

Hello Esmay,
Could I ask how long you have had your mixer?

Hi
I have had it for a few years however i never opened it till now. So so disappointed. Stupidly I should have opened it at the time and used it to make sure it was working. Have lost confidence in sunbeam.

Sue

SueMurray Region, NSW

Sunbeam used to be a reliable brand

I purchased this mixer based on previous great service from a Sunbeam Mixmaster I had many years ago. I have used it, very successfully about 4 times. Today I was making a cake and stopped it to scrape the sides and when I turned it on again....nothing! I tried everything, removing then reinserting beaters, remove and replace the bowl, even tried the second bowl and it simply would not work.
I will be returning it to the store tomorrow for a refund. Very dissapointing when such a well known, previously reliable brand is now producing inferior products. The inconvienience of having to return an item then shop for a replacement is enough to prevent me trusting that brand again.

I dont recomend this product.

Purchased in June 2019 at Bing Lee Physical store for $170.00.

Hi Sue,
Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. We are so sorry to hear of your experience with our MX8500 and will be passing it on to our product manager. Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Fiona L

Fiona LCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

My Mum's I960's Sunbeam Mixmaster Is Truly Classic!

For a product almost 60 years old my Sunbeam Mixmaster still works like a dream and I can even purchase new attachments for it!
Thumbs up to Sunbeam, for continuing to make products with no built in obsolescence and still able to be serviced and repaired.
As a result of such positive experiences with my truly classic Sunbeam Mixmaster, I have gone on to purchase many other Sunbeam products and all have similarly proven exceptional longevity and reliable performance.
Highly recommended!

Hi Fiona L,
We love hearing this!. Thank you :). Hold onto it, it is a great machine. Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Didn’t last long

Bought for my wife 2 years ago mx8500 now motor runs but beaters don’t work. I am like so many others. Thought Sunbeam was STILL a good product so I would buy another one. Should have looked at the product reviews. Talk about cheap and nasty. How disappointing. As other people have said. Just a heap of junk. Shame on you Sunbeam you have trashed your good name with rubbish to make a few extra dollars. Dumb Dumb Dumb

Purchased in March 2017.

Hi Gary Gray,
We are sorry to hear of your experience with the MX8500. I will be sure to pass this on to our product team for valuable feedback. Kind Regards Sunbeam

glenbas

glenbasLaunceston, TAS

worst sunbeam mixmaster ever

After owning a Sunbeam for over 30 years we decided it was time to upgrade, We purchased the silver model almost 2 years ago. We only used the mixer occassionally, to cream butter & sugar or whip cream, maybe 2 times a month. A few weeks ago I contacted Sunbeam as the mixer could only be used on low speed, if we turned it up the beaters would jam. I was advised to take it to our local sunbeam repair agent which i did. I collected the machine today to be told it was no good any more as the gear box had seized !!! I am so angry that after minimal use over a 2 year period it now has to be thrown out. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Last time I will ever buy Sunbeam

Purchased in November 2016 at Begents Electrical Launceston 7250 for $350.00.

Hi glenbas,
Sorry to hear of the issue with the MX8500. I will be sure to pass this feedback onto our Product and Tech teams.

Kayser

KayserMid North Coast, NSW

Great product.

I have had this mixmaster for just over a year. This machine works very well and is easy to scrape food off the sides of the bowl. The attachments are great for mixing ingredients and the bowl size is excellent. I bought this at a great price and would highly recommend this product.

Customer C.Sunbeam

So good to hear you are making the most of your mixmaster Kayser, thanks heaps for the review

Bowl hard to unlock

I bought this after my old machine of 10 years died. It works great only problem is I have a lot of trouble unlocking the large bowl I have no trouble with the small bowl. Does anyone know the trick to unlocking the large bowl. It might be faulty .

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Never buy Sunbeam!

Date PurchasedDec 2005

Wendy Gordon

Wendy GordonPERTH

Just what i was looking for

I am extremely happy with this mix master. The main reason for this being, i can scrape the edge of the bowl whilst it is mixing without any effort at all. I had a very expensive mix master that i sold because i couldn't do this. It had scraper beaters, but i find that they don't do the job well enough, especially for meringue. This classic model is just so easy to use. love it

Lani

Laniauckland

Great mixer

I have had this mixer for 3 years now. No problems. Very easy to use. Looks smart on my bench. Highly recommend . Solid machine. I get a lot of comments on how good it looks. Easy to clean. Got it at a great price. Even hubby can work it.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Bowl doesn't spin

Highly disappointed with this mixer. My husband purchased it for me for Christmas 2017 from Myer, I went to use it today (2/1/18) for the first time to discover the bowl did not spin with the large or small bowl attached. We will be returning this appliance and will purchase another brand.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Sunbeam florence broadhurst design is a disgrace

Florence broadhurst mixer really poor hardly mixes. The bowl doesn't lock into place properly very bad machine waste if money.
The toaster is fine but the mixer complete let down.
Pity because sunbeam was a trusted brand for me, I'll never buy sunbeam again.
The mixer has made me not bother using it and I cool alot.
I wouldn't waste time, effort or money on sunbeam mixers again.
I could've got a better machine from target it chosen the Kenwood.

Date PurchasedOct 2015
Denise

DeniseMid North Coast, NSW

Cheap disappointing product, don't waste your money on Sunbeam

Date PurchasedOct 2014