Sunbeam Mixmaster Compact Pro MX5950

Sunbeam Mixmaster Compact Pro MX5950

Stand Mixers Buying Guide

A reliable stand mixer can help make your baking sessions a breeze. Whether you want to splash the cash on a premium KitchenAid mixer or find the best affordable stand mixer from Kmart, here are some buying considerations to throw into the mix.

Read now

2.2

• Safety
Clare Chadderton

Clare ChaddertonGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Smokey after a dingle use.

I had this product unopened in a kitchen cupboard for a few years after having received it as a Christmas present, so despite being brand new it's unfortunately out of warranty. I used it for the first time ever the other day to cream some room temperature butter and it began to visibly smoke after a couple of minutes. I'm assuming it's completely unsafe so I'll just have to throw it all out. I didn't even get close to getting the butter creamed.

MX5950 gave me a fright.

After years problem free, the mixer stand just made a whuump noise & caught on fire today. The beaters were still going. I switched it off. Luckily the kitchen is ok.

Shiner

ShinerMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Didn't last long!

Looking for a new hand mixer after my 15+ yr old one departed the kitchen. Thought the Sunbeam brand would serve me well, but alas after 14 months of minimal use it no longer works on the normal speeds but only when using the boost button.
I have given up on this and bought a KitchenAid... much more robust, of course more expensive, but will last me out!!
Buy cheap buy twice.

Purchased in January 2019 at The Good Guys for A$95.00.

Benchtop Food Mixers

Find out how Sunbeam Mixmaster Compact Pro MX5950 compares to other Benchtop Food Mixers

katrina

katrina

This was great for me. Mixes very well, and gentle on food . motor never gave me any trouble . Accessories I never used . The capacity of the bowl was suitable for all my uses

Purchased at Kmart.

Nishy

Nishymelbourne

Not the best but does the job

I’ve had this stand mixer for over 2 years now and haven’t had any issues but it isn’t very convenient when doing small quantities as there is a large gap at bottom and sides so need to stand and scrape the bowl. Can overheat when doing dough. I saw a customer service comment below re “a double lock mechanism”. I only lock once as no info about double lock is supplied in the manual - can sunbeam please elaborate on this? Thanks :)

was ok

As other reviewer stated the die cast metal support as did some of the plastic supports broke, non fixable.
All the motors and switches still work fine, pitty more thought isn't put into structual design

Purchased in January 2006.

AmandaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Broke on first use

clearly no quality control on this product. Beaters started and stopped intermittently, did not reach the complete bottom of bowl so if you are creaming a small amount of butter and sugar as you would want to do when making cakes, it is next to useless. Not easy to mount on and off base either. Will be wanting a refund and buying another product. You would think that having cornered the market with a hands free convertible to small hand mixer, they would do better. Very umimpressed if this is the way Sunbeam is heading with their products. Is your reputation not worth more?

Customer CareSunbeam

Hello Amanda,
So sorry to hear about your mixing troubles. Yes, of course you can return the unit to your retailer. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Amanda

Firstly, I can only return to the store I purchased from due to franchising restrictions. I now live a far distance from that store. Secondly, there is no stock at that store to replace it with. I will be seeking a refund and buying another brand.

Customer CareSunbeam

OK that's perfectly fine but you will still need to go through your retailer for a refund. Perhaps give them a call and organize for the unit to be mailed back to the store and have a refund processed over the phone.

Blue1Star

Blue1StarMelbourne

Good Luck with this one.

I would have picked this up in 2010 ,11 same deal like most others has been use as hand held mostly.My drama is it's stuck in @ high speed and the locking button won't lock this happend after the 3d time of use and l couldn't find my reciept.l was thinking of using my cordless drill with one mixing blade and I will have a a lot more control. I won't be buying Sunbeam again.

Date PurchasedSep 2011
Martina P.

Martina P.Perth

Disappointing

Does an ok job when using as handheld mixer but I find it impossible to use as a freestanding mixer, simply because the beaters / dough hooks don't reach the sides or bottom of the bowl.
I also think the bowl is uncomfortable to hold in hand and is too big for the size of the mixer attachments / normal use.

Waste of money and space in the kitchen.

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

HI Martina. Please ensure that the mixer is fully locked in when using the stand as there is a double lock mechanism. Some people only lock it once and this is when it doesn't touch the bowl.

Benchtop Food Mixers

Motor mount is diecast metal, broke between motor and gear box, pathetic cheap, rubbish.

Find another make, pay extra and don't buy Sunbeam rubbish.

As Australians we are being loaded up with poor quality China made junk, we need to wake up to the dumping of crap gear.

Find another make, pay extra and don't buy Sunbeam rubbish.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Lasted for ages, great workhorse.

The motor driving the worm gear for bowl rotation has just died, after more than 20 years service. I'm happy with that, I can't expect it to last for ever. It's had extensive use by a keen home baker and never given any trouble. Turns out it's cheaper to buy a new one than get it fixed, so we will keep the beater section for use with other bowls and buy a new overall unit. The fact that they still make these and have only changed the plastic bowl to a stainless steel one shows how good the design is. (Date Purchased, below, only goes back to 1998 - we purchased this unit in 1997)

Date PurchasedJun 1998
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Firey, so true, why change a product when it does the job so well!! The MX5950 does punch above it's weight and it's great you have had so much use from it, thank you.

Barry.F

Barry.FHobart

Great economical mixer

I was in the market for a handheld mixer when I found this little gem. As a baker I know it's not going to be anywhere as good as a professional mixer but for home use it's quite ideal. I haven't tried the dough hooks yet so I can't comment on that but the normal beaters are fine for cake mixing and cream whipping. The ability to detach from the main body and use as a hand mixer is very handy.

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for the great review Barry F!!

M Ramirez

M RamirezGreat Southern, WA

It could not be worse!

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Ilda

IldaCarnarvon

Worst I've had

I'm in the same boat as most reviews. Had my mixer for over twelve months and have to use the hand beater to mix egg whites as their is a gap between the beaters and bowl so mixture isn't getting mixed, I love making sponges and the machine isn't doing the job for me. Very disappointed and a waste of $99.00 dollars.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Tigg

TiggGold Coast

My original one 12 years old was great!

I need a new hand mixer so I am looking to replace this one which has lasted me 12 years and never missed a beat. But in reading the reviews of the same model in 2018 it seems they have changed the design. There is no gap between the bottom of the heaters and the bowl of my old one,only a couple of millimetres. Also my old one only has 5 speeds and a boost - the new ones have 10 speeds and a boost apparently. Don't think I will get the same mixer this time if it really does have this big gap people have mentioned.

Date PurchasedJan 2006

Jenny Pham

Jenny PhamMelbourne

Good for starter

The hand mixer works smoothly but the stand mixer does not perform as well as hand mixer because two rollers could not reach the mixture properly.
There is very noisy sound when operating, especially when running at high speed.
The capacity of the mixing bowl satisfied my needs.
This machine might be suitable for people who start doing baking.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

After 20 times of usage in 2 years. Nylon gear marred. . Sunbeam do not carry parts.

Only used 20 plus times in 30 months. The beater not turning. Motor was running. Called parts suppliers, no parts available for this model. Called sunbeam customer service. Was told to reach repair service. Also, was told sunbeam do not carry parts for small appliances. Open the mixer myself. Notice the nylon gear is marred. The Motor is good. I was also told that sunbeam discontinue the model. They were aware of the defects. They should recall all units in the Australian market.....it's still on rack at shops

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

Egg whites flop !

This unit is only good if you don't need to beat egg whites as it just takes to long with no result. I like making sponges so it's important to me to have fluffy egg whites. I think if the beaters were bigger it would do the job.Yet it's perfect for an "all in one bowl cake"

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Happy so far

As previous reviewer said you get what you pay for. Cannot expect a $150 dollar mixer to perform like a $600 one. Admittedly I am not a heavy user of mine but for what I use it for is good. 'Tis a bit noisy but what can one expect of a mixer. I have had mixers for more than 40 years and have never had a silent one.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
MrSquigglesPencil

MrSquigglesPencil

Dissapointing from Sunbeam

I found this product was overall, difficult to use. The whisking attachment was quite flimsy and couldn't even mix a simple cake mix together. I found the bowl size to be ok but the body just seemed to be almost too small for the size of the bowl. Plus the bowl itself didn't want to stay in place when I was using the mixer. I have only used this mixmaster once & don't think I will again. Dissapointing for Sunbeam

Date PurchasedMay 2015