Sunbeam MultiGrinder II EM0405

MPNs: EM0405 and EM5000EM0405

2.6

Lookatthisbull

LookatthisbullSouth East Queensland, QLD

So so sooo bad. Learn something from kmart

Everything about this grinder is horrible. The lid design, the fact you grind a small amount of coffee and it becomes a thanos-level issue is ridiculous. Change the fkn design!

Purchased in August 2020 at Harvey Norman for A$35.00.

Hello there,
I'm sorry to hear this, I have the same grinder and it has been nothing but great. I'm sorry but it is not clear what the issue is with the lid that you are experiencing.

Poor quality plastic lid

This device was ok and served its purpose although not easy to clean. Yesterday I removed the lid and the plastic edge on the lid disintegrated and rendered the whole thing useless. Replacement part seems more effort than it’s worth just to break in the same fashion. I will be reluctant to use the sunbeam brand in future.

Purchased at Big W.

Dan D.

Dan D.Central West, NSW

Very dissapointed

Terrible for herbs, the lid is very poorly designed and almost impossible to remove at times, very disappointed considering the high price. Going to get a refund on this, had better grinders for half the price.

Purchased in July 2020 at Target Australia for A$39.00.

Coffee Grinders / Roasters

Find out how Sunbeam MultiGrinder II EM0405 compares to other Coffee Grinders / Roasters

Ours broke within 2 months of use

We had a cheaper model from sunbeam that worked far longer than this one and had more features. Working on getting a refund now for this more expensive model. Coffee gets in the safety mechanism and makes it hard to use.

Coodge G.Illawarra, NSW

Designed by someone who doesn't make coffee ?

Pro's = Grinds the coffee
Cons = Getting the ground coffee back out of the grinder by means of scraping the bowl out with a spoon to get the stuck coffee off the sides, unplugging and inverting the entire grinder over the coffee pot.
= weird lid that gunks up, jams, is difficult to close and prone to failure.
= no timer on power button + no measurements on bowl means inconsistent grind.

This grinder replaced our old breville grinder which lasted 10 hardworking years. Might throw out the sunbeam product and try again - it's that poor in comparison.

Purchased in April 2020 at Betta Home Living for A$58.95.

Not suitable to go with coffee machine

Buying a coffee machine and this was recommended with it. Very disappointed as it does not grind the coffee beans any where near fine enough to be able to make a coffee with a bit of coffee flavour. It should be classed as a blender and not a coffee grinder.

Purchased in May 2020 at Amazon for A$35.00.

Michael

MichaelSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Reliable and Efficient Coffee Grinder

Does a really good job. Very reasonably priced and well made. Ours is 5 years old and used daily. Possibly the only drawback is pouring the ground coffee out of the grinder - it takes time if you don't want to make a mess. Overall highly recommended.

Purchased at The Good Guys for A$35.00.

Hello Michael
Thank you for the feedback.

Very poor quality, not fit for purpose!

The plastic tabs on the lid of my replacement grinder did not last any longer than the original. Sunbeam must supply a lid that is fit for purpose instead of the brittle original design. I only grind chia and flax seed which is extremely light work compared to coffee and this grinder just can't hack it!

Hello OBP,
Sorry to hear of your experience with this grinder. However if you feel that the unit is showing wear and tear too quickly you can returning to your retailer within 12 months of your purchase for a replacement.

John L.Sydney, NSW

Fragile plastic tabs in lid control power

Purchased February 2019. Lasted just over a year (just out of warranty!) before the tiny plastic bits in the lid that allow the power to flow broke. One of them broke months ago, meaning it would only work when the lid was on in a particular alignment. Annoying. Now both broken, the power won't turn on at all.
Bad, bad design.

Purchased in February 2019 at Mitre 10 for A$34.99.

John L.

Thanks. Just got a replacement from Mitre 10. Hope it lasts a bit longer. Still concerned about the design allowing this to happen.

Rufus G.

Rufus G.Great Southern, WA

Multi whirled unit

We purchased our new whirler from Big W and it is just that, it whirls and sends everything up into the lid, you have to switch it on and off to get the beans to fall into the blades which don't really work well anyway, it's now just gone to landfill after 2 days off attempted use.

Purchased in October 2019 at Woolworths Online store for A$38.95.

Hi Rufus G,
Sorry to hear. I have not heard of that problem, this grinder has been around for many years.
Hope you returned to store under your warranty.

Charmaine

CharmaineSydney, NSW

Very handy

I bought this a couple of weeks ago. I use it for grinding spices and it does a great job. The lid is a bit finicky and can be difficult to get on and off.

Purchased in August 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for A$34.00.

Hi Charmaine,
Thank you so much for your review. The lid being stubborn to remove and activate is a safety feature.
Enjoy ! Kind regards Sunbeam

Mick

MickIllawarra, NSW

Next to useless device, not even worth a star!!!!!

If you don't like the taste of coffee then this device is for you. It is not a grinder, more like a blender! It fails to turn coffee beans into granule's, it only produces small chunks of coffee beans. You barley get any flavor out of the coped up beans!!! It may be ok for herbs, but that would be it!!!!!!!

Purchased in August 2019 at The Good Guys for A$34.00.

No good

If using for herbs this is no good. Resin gets stuck in lid groove, won't operate unless lid locks in. Lid gets hard to remove. Get one from Kmart or Officeworks instead

Purchased in June 2019 at Target Australia for A$35.00.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Chris, the locking feature is a safety function so it cannot operate unless sealed.
It will mainly do dry spices so anything fresh will get stuck...

PDS

PDSBlacktown

Normal grinder

Does what it is supposed to do grinding coffee and spices to sometimes. It is a bit noisy but is working at a high speed. Also it cannot grind a lot and you need to give it short tap so that the material being gounded falls back it to be ground further.

Purchased in March 2019 at Big W Retail Stores for A$28.00.

Hi PDS,
Thanks tor the great review. I will also pass your feed back onto our product team too. It is best to grind in small amounts to save the motor.

MamaMaria

MamaMariaNSW, 2148

Happy enough

I have only used my Sunbeam MultiGrinder to grind coffee beans. It grinds evenly enough although sometimes I have to give it a gentle shake to move beans closser to the blade. Good for the purchase price and I haven't had a problem yet after 8 months+ of daily use.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for the great review MamaMaria!!

Shull

ShullBrIsbane

Does the job you'd expect for the price

Bought this after our much more expensive Breville grinder gave up working. Much prefer Breville over Subbeam in general, but this does exactly what you'd expect for the price. It grinds the beans. You do need to shake it or give it a tap to get it to grind evenly (beans closer to the blades grind finer than the ones on top, which makes sense). Took a while to get it right, but after a few weeks I can now make a pretty good flat white using this grinder.

The main reason for the purchase was the convenience since both Target and Big W stick this grinder.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Shull, thank you the review. It is a basic coffee grinder but very easy to use and once you get to know the grind that best suits you, it gets easier to perfect! Hope you continue to enjoy your coffee, that's what it's about...

Vixsta

VixstaBrisbane

The all rounder

So so so disappointed in this item. What a joke. Id be better off grinding with 2 rocks. Would not recommend this product to anyone. Waste of 35 dollars when i could have bought one from Kmart for 13 bucks people do not waste yoyr money on this youll kick your self once you get hm

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Anna

AnnaMelbourne

Motor Didn't Work on First Try

Very, very disappointed in this machine, which was actually replacing a Breville spice grinder that had stopped working within a month. I thought a nice light little machine like this one with a large button to press (sometimes the press down ones can be a little awkward until you get used to them) would be great, but that would only be the case if it ever worked! What's more, I also bought a large food processor from Sunbeam whose motor stopped working after a few months as well. Not a happy customer, and will be looking to purchase from other brands from now on (I currently have a Cuisinart spice grinder which is a bit more expensive but worth it because it actually works, and has been doing so for almost a year now).

Date PurchasedJun 2017

MicrobelAdelaide

What is Multi about it?

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Microbel

OK, we've had this and use it regularly so I thought I'd revisit this. While it's still nowhere near as good as the grinder we replaced I'm used to it. I'd possibly give it a three now, but no more.

Sue DietrichYINNAR

Got it home, plugged it in, didn't work. returned it. next one didn't work. I was snapping the top

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Frequently Asked Questions about Sunbeam MultiGrinder II EM0405

How do I release the safety catch of the grinder?

This grinder does not have a Safety Catch. To release the lid, rotate the lid anti-clockwise and lift to unscrew and remove the lid.

My grinder is not grinding, why is that and what can I do?

Check to make sure the lid bayonet is on properly and not broken off to activate interlock.

How do I take care of my grinder?

When you have finished grinding, unplug your MultiGrinder II from the power outlet. Remove the cover and wash in warm soapy water. Rinse and dry thoroughly. Wipe the blades, stainless steel grinding bowl, exterior and motor base with a damp cloth or paper towel to remove any excess ground coffee, spices or herbs. Use caution when handling the blades, as they are extremely sharp.

Important: Do not immerse the motor base or grinding bowl of the MultiGrinder II in water. Do not place the MultiGrinder II in the dishwasher.

I broke my lid and the grinder stops working, what can I do?

Contact Sunbeam Customer Service Center on 1300 881 861 (AU) or 0800 786 232 (NZ) to purchase a replacement lid.

Why is my lid constantly getting stuck?

Make sure the rim of the lid is clean.

How do I operate the grinder so the lid and safety lock doesn't get snapped off after repeated use?

Ensure the lid is not overtightened.

How can I find a replacement part for my grinder?

The silicone spout can be replaced if worn out. Contact Sunbeam Customer Service on 1300 881 861 (AU) or 0800 786 232 (NZ).

My lid doesn't fit after repeated use, what should I do?

Clean the rim of lid and check bayonets.

How do I grind herbs to the consistency I want?

1. Place the MultiGrinder II on a dry, level surface.
  2. Remove the lid of the MultiGrinder II and measure out the desired quantity of spices or herbs into the stainless steel grinding bowl. For very hard herbs and spices, Sunbeam recommends processing in ¼ cup batches to prevent overloading the grinder.

Latest Consumer Questions

Laraine

Laraineasked

Bought my brand new grinder on holidays with me only to find it won’t start. Not near shop I bought it from and don’t have the receipt with me. Any clues as to how I can get it started.

Mgeee
Mgeee

Honestly, lid fits on 2x ways 2x 180deg positions . Spin to the next position and it will work. Needs to touch small micro switch found in the thread if u look closely.
Shit design. Should have been made to fit on one way only.
Anyway be Careful not to damage the inside lid thread on the lid itself where it actually touches the switch like I did ,now mine won't start without a new lid.

manpreet w.asked

My friend gifted me this cute little coffee and spice grinder couple of months ago and I only used maximum five time to grind some tea spices and suddenly it stopped working ...can you suggest something .
Kind regards
Preet

Coodge G.

Could be the safety switch in the lid thread. Clean the thread where the lid goes on and make sure the lid is attached fully. If it still doesn't work, you should take it back to the retailer. If you are technically versed and assume all liability, you could bypass the lid safety switch. If I have to tell you how to do that - you shouldn't be doing it.

manpreet w.

It’s working after doing all this , thank you very much for replying me back

Lisa

Lisaasked

Hi, I also need a replacement lid for my multi grinder as the little notches have broken off so the machine won’t start when I twist the lid on. Could you please direct me to where I can find a replacement lid?

Coodge G.

I found it easier to illegaly bypass the safety switch. If the original lid breaks, so will the replacement.
I dont advise doing this unless you have some hands on experience and the common sense not to put fingers inside with the power plugged in.
Have ordered another grinder = as soon as it arrives, the sunbeam goes in the bin.

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives

CategoryCoffee Grinders / Roasters