MPN: EM0405

Very handy

I bought this a couple of weeks ago. I use it for grinding spices and it does a great job. The lid is a bit finicky and can be difficult to get on and off.

Purchased in August 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $34.00.

Hi Charmaine, Thank you so much for your review. The lid being stubborn to remove and activate is a safety feature. Enjoy ! Kind regards Sunbeam

Next to useless device, not even worth a star!!!!!

If you don't like the taste of coffee then this device is for you. It is not a grinder, more like a blender! It fails to turn coffee beans into granule's, it only produces small chunks of coffee beans. You barley get any flavor out of the coped up beans!!! It may be ok for herbs, but that would be it!!!!!!!

Purchased in August 2019 at The Good Guys for $34.00.

Hi Mick, Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. The EM0405 is a general use grinder for coffee and herbs & spices. The blades and motor are not designed just for coffee beans. Our EM0700, EM0480 and EM0440 with conical burrs/blades suit coffee beans best. Kind Regards Sunbeam

No good

If using for herbs this is no good. Resin gets stuck in lid groove, won't operate unless lid locks in. Lid gets hard to remove. Get one from Kmart or Officeworks instead

Purchased in June 2019 at Target Australia for $35.00.

Hi Chris, the locking feature is a safety function so it cannot operate unless sealed. It will mainly do dry spices so anything fresh will get stuck...

Normal grinder

Does what it is supposed to do grinding coffee and spices to sometimes. It is a bit noisy but is working at a high speed. Also it cannot grind a lot and you need to give it short tap so that the material being gounded falls back it to be ground further.

Purchased in March 2019 at Big W Retail Stores for $28.00.

Hi PDS, Thanks tor the great review. I will also pass your feed back onto our product team too. It is best to grind in small amounts to save the motor.

Happy enough

I have only used my Sunbeam MultiGrinder to grind coffee beans. It grinds evenly enough although sometimes I have to give it a gentle shake to move beans closser to the blade. Good for the purchase price and I haven't had a problem yet after 8 months+ of daily use.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Thanks for the great review MamaMaria!!

Does the job you'd expect for the price

Bought this after our much more expensive Breville grinder gave up working. Much prefer Breville over Subbeam in general, but this does exactly what you'd expect for the price. It grinds the beans. You do need to shake it or give it a tap to get it to grind evenly (beans closer to the blades grind finer than the ones on top, which makes sense). Took a while to get it right, but after a few weeks I can now make a pretty good flat white using this grinder.

The main reason for the purchase was the convenience since both Target and Big W stick this grinder.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Hi Shull, thank you the review. It is a basic coffee grinder but very easy to use and once you get to know the grind that best suits you, it gets easier to perfect! Hope you continue to enjoy your coffee, that's what it's about...

The all rounder

So so so disappointed in this item. What a joke. Id be better off grinding with 2 rocks. Would not recommend this product to anyone. Waste of 35 dollars when i could have bought one from Kmart for 13 bucks people do not waste yoyr money on this youll kick your self once you get hm

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Motor Didn't Work on First Try

Very, very disappointed in this machine, which was actually replacing a Breville spice grinder that had stopped working within a month. I thought a nice light little machine like this one with a large button to press (sometimes the press down ones can be a little awkward until you get used to them) would be great, but that would only be the case if it ever worked! What's more, I also bought a large food processor from Sunbeam whose motor stopped working after a few months as well. Not a happy customer, and will be looking to purchase from other brands from now on (I currently have a Cuisinart spice grinder which is a bit more expensive but worth it because it actually works, and has been doing so for almost a year now).

Date PurchasedJun 2017

What is Multi about it?

Our last Sunbeam grinder bit the dust so we raced out to replace it rapidly. We use our grinder exclusively to grind coffee and the last one we had has been so good. This one is a huge disappointment for coffee. Firstly, the button must be held/pressed continuously for it to work. It doesn't grind evenly, and even misses some beans. We now end up with a bunch of sludge in the bottom of our cups because some is superfine and gets through the filter. It's awkward to use - getting the grinds out into a container is difficult without spilling it everywhere. This would possibly be ok for grinding really small amounts of spice.
Pity there are so few stand alone spice/coffee grinders on the market. Our last Sunbeam had a cord winder in the bottom that worked really smoothly, a clear cup that clipped in the top so you could easily empty, and a slider to set various coarseness/fineness of grinding which automatically switched off. I miss that little gem. Admittedly it was almost double the price (still, not expensive) and I would gladly pay that again for a decent machine.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Got it home, plugged it in, didn't work. returned it. next one didn't work. I was snapping the top

I have to re-write this because my husband actually got the grinder to work. Like others, I couldn't get the engine to come on and grind. After driving all the way back from the country to the store and back again, it still didn't work.
My poor husband helped me grind the garlic with a mortar and pestle and THEN decided to read the instructions. he chose to use his big muscles to close the top. when he did, the grinder worked and worked well.

So, maybe I no longer have anything against the grinder but I would suggest a re-write on the directions to add "if it doesn't work, check that you have snapped the top on firmly."

I see everyone is saying the same thing about no power. So Sunbeam, please address the problem of snapping the lid tight so that your customers don't keep writing bad reviews. It seems to be an easy fix. Anyway, if I could write to all these reviewers, I would. Sunbeam, you should write to your unhappy customers.

August 5th 2018 Update: Multigrinder EMO405 is impossible to open unless you know the trick

I returned one for the same reason others did as well. then the second one didn't work either because the top lid wasn't secured all the way. It takes two men and a boy to open it. However, I have discovered that if I keep a pair of disposable latex gloves with the grinder, I put them between my hand and the lid, and my hand and the body of the machine and snip snap it opens quickly and painlessly. I've had it for a few months and it's good.

they probably should redesign it but if you do that, you don't have to return a good product.

I use this to powder my homegrown onions and homegrown garlic as well as coffee. All good now.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
I'm now using it to grind coffee and I still can't get it to snap shut. The seal gets ground bits in it and unless it is perfectly clean, and superman is there to click it closed, it won't work. I am sad to see they haven't responded. I bought a sunbeam coffee maker this week. I am not having an issue with that at this time.hey, I have discovered that the grinder works fine if I use latex disposable gloves to open it. i keep a pair of pink gloves that I normally use to peel garlic nearby for my morning coffee grinding. it still needs a new design. And sunbeam still need to jump all over this and provide some customer service.

Doesn't power on at all

I received this item as a gift from Qantas. Brand new and sealed. Plugged it in and pushed the button. Nothing. No noise, no spinning, nothing. I tried it on different power points to see if that was the issue but no. Still didnt work at all. I don't know what else to do

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Easy to Use Coffee Bean Grinder

I purchased this machine to grind coffee beans only so I never have to worry about washing it. I have no problem with the motor & although it is probably not recommended I give it a little shake to loosen the coffee around the blade. Nothing like freshly ground coffee beans ever day. I’m happy with it. ☺️

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Water gets trapped inside the lid - Obvious design flaw.

I purchased this grinder last year but have only just got around to using it.
It grinds OK, but is very hard to clean.
It also emits a strong smell of burnt electrics after each short use, as if it's going to fail at any time.
I followed the cleaning instructions, which say to wash the lid in warm soapy water, but water gets trapped inside the layers of the lid and is impossible to get out.
This is far from ideal when grinding dry ingredients and poses a potential food safety issue, as bacteria can thrive in wet conditions.
Sunbeam really need to lift their game with the design and ease of cleaning of this product.
I will be returning my grinder under warranty and giving another brand a try.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

This grinder seems to work well

It grinds evenly, and it can grind a decent amount for what I use, as you don't need to grind more than 2 cups for coffee at a time, it's good for the price and have never had a problem with it, I have used it just for grinding coffee at this stage.
At times the cap is a little bit hard to unscrew and and screw back up, but it has not failed me

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Good Grinder useful for several purposes

This steel grinder, with steel blades, can be used for making spice powder and grinding small and hard nuts, effortlessly. The container is a bit small, a bit bigger would have been nice. There is enough power to crush the hardest of spices. It comes with the standard 12 months warranty. I have been using it for over 6 months and there has been no issue with it. It is easy to clean after use.

Great product

I have had it for 3 years now and still going strong. mainly use it for spices. Love it. Pretty sturdy and not fragile like the cheap $12 ones you can get. I strongly recommend this product. Sorry to hear other's have not had the same experience with this product.

Date PurchasedOct 2014

Unreliable

Was given this as a gift. It worked once and then nothing. Tried other power points. Still nothing. Exchanged it for another and I'm on my fourth grind of coffee beans. It's still working. A bit fiddly to clean without getting the motor wet. Fingers crossed it keeps going. Grinds beans ok.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Disposable junk

Product worked once and not satisfactorily. Second time, nothing. Tried on different powerpoints...hopeful it was a power issue (never once did I actually hope that) Usually happy with Sunbeam but wish I'd read reviews before purchase

Doesn't work on 2nd use

I obtained the miltigrinder 2 through a work points and buy system, thus was not able to get a refund. Really surprised as my other sunbeam products have all been amazing. Really upset as I could have spend the $50 of points on so many other essential options. Such a let down, not sure how I feel about buying any Sunbeam products

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Doesn't operate as stated

I exchanged my first one as I expected it should turn on and stay on with one press, then press again to turn off. I had to hold the button down for it to operate, and a hot electrical smell started.
The second one is the same, just no hot electrical smell. So I will continue with it for as long as it lasts and then spend the money on a highly recommended one.
I know it was cheap, but I would have expected more from a familiar brand.

Date PurchasedNov 2016