Sunbeam Piccolo Espresso EM2800

Sunbeam Piccolo Espresso EM2800

BobaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Reasonable result

I've never had a machine before so perhaps I'm expecting to much. The machine is very easy to use. I don't use the frother. It makes a good cup of coffee and gives an excellent crema. However it isn't warm enough. Sunbeam replaced my first machine but the replacement is the same. The green indicator light goes off even before a very small cup has been filled. It is also quite noisy. I bought because I wanted a cheap simple machine and Choice recommended it. If the coffee was hotter I'd be happy but because of that I couldn't recommend it. Incidentally the after sales service from Sunbeam was excellent. Quick, positive and helpful.
I now just give the coffee a quick zap in the microwave to bring up the temperature.

Purchased in June 2019 at Target Australia for $109.00.

Hi Boba,
Thank you for the good review. Espresso coffee is never as hot as instant boiled from the kettle but microwaving to your liking can be a good option...

Boba

Thanks for the quick response. The Sunbeam after sales service has been great. Many companies don't respond to reviews so it's good to see that Sunbeam are interested in customer reviews.

Hi Boba,
We appreciate it...

John M.

John M.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Perfect coffee at bargain price

Had this machine for 6 years and have just had to replace the brew head seal ($15 delivered via eBay). Quick warm up and very easy to use.Makes perfect coffee and good milk frother. Never missed a beat just hope I can still get replacement deals when I next need to replace it. Not as stylish as some machines but the quality of the coffee is what counts.

Purchased in May 2013 at Big W Retail Stores for $99.00.

Consistency
Milk Frothing

Hi John M. Thanks for the great review. Enjoy ! Kind Regards Sunbeam

AlbyBallina

Very good coffee Great value

Had this machine for six years and hasn’t missed a beat. Makes excellent espresso and froths milk very well. Provided fresh quality beans are used and you have a good idea how to make a barista quality shot you won’t find a better result in a machine 10times the price. (Mine was $99).
Nice and compact and easy to clean.
Only maintenance is I run a cleaning chemical through it once a year and replaced group head and froth wand silicon seals after 4yrs.
Would not hesitate to purchase another should mine die.

Purchased in February 2013 at Big W Retail Stores for $99.00.

Consistency
Milk Frothing
GrinderCuisinart Coffee Burr Mill Extra Fine
Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for the great review Alby

myselfPerth, WA

Value for money

I'm very happy with machine, very good for medium single cup. I take only black coffee. I do have one problem with Group Handle. I unscrew the little screw to clean the handle than I noticed whole thing was mouldy (look like). I could not clean the handle, it appears coating its gone and left black stains. That part its not Staines steal. That metal don't like hot. I'm still using the machine but it does put me off because I have to pull apart every time after use. Please can you tell me why is that happening I do love my little machine. I got the machine online on 30/08/2017. Hope I hear from you soon. Thank you
Regards

Sonja Turina
Perth

Hi,
You shouldn't need to take screws off to clean. You really should just remove the filter basket and scrub all over and this should take care of the cleaning for the handle.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi The filter basket needs to be removed from the handle to give it a good clean....it can be quite tight whilst new. You could try using a toothbrush to get around the screws and into the holes in the filter basket itself.

Nene

Nene

Stopped working after 6 months

I was very happy with this machine at first, it made lovely espresso. Then 6 months later it started to leak from the seal where the group handle attaches. It doesn’t matter what type of coffee I use, it just doesn’t work anymore. I’ll be spending a bit more next time to get something that lasts longer.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Nene, it could be that there is a problem with the rubber seal but hard to say.
Please return to the store of purchase with your receipt as your machine is still under warranty and the store will replace it for you.

ConnieRedcliffe

Love my Piccolo

I’ve had my little Piccolo for around 7years and has been used every day. Unfortunately I’m going to have to buy a new machine pretty soon as the cup now stays stuck in the machine when I remove the wand and it hurts my arthritic hands to remove it.
It’s been a brilliant. I’m hoping I can buy another.

Date PurchasedSep 2011
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Connie. Thanks for the great review!! The EM2800 is still available to buy through all major retailers.

Connie

Thanks Sunbeam. I have enquirer in department stores here in my area. None of them sell the Piccolo.
Do you have a list of places in or around Brisbane. Would really appreciate your help. Thanks. connie

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Connie. Unfortunately we don't have visibility of the retailer's stock levels so I can't guarantee you of a place to purchase. If it's easier for you, you can purchase directly from www.sunbeam.com.au and we will post it directly to you!

Jess

JessMelbourne

Fantastic Coffee Machine

I love this coffee machine. The stream wand to froth the milk is the perfect size, I used to be a barista and compared frothing the milk with the sunbeam vs my mum's expensive machine (cant remember the brand but it was a $600 purchase) and hands down the Sunbeam makes much better milk. If you're like me and only making 1-2 coffees a day then don't waste your money on a fancy machine - this is all you need.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Didn't get to make coffee because water tank leaked like a sieve returned it and replacement did the

Didn't get to make any coffee as the water reservoir leaked like a sieve. Liked the fact it came with a milk jug and cup warmer tho. Second machine leaked as well but store wouldn't replace a second time but refunded money instead so bought a Delonghi instead which I'm very happy with.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
jay

jay

Does the job

I purchased this machine to practise my milk frothing but this machines milk frother air nosel is not very strong so it takes abit longer than an industrial machine. That being said, it does make beautiful coffee, just like barista made if you get your milk right. It heats milk well. It is easy to use, a little noisy but not too bad, not enough to be annoying. Easy to clean and maintain, not too bulky so doesn’t take up much bench space.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Rob

Robperth

Great value for money

Paid $99 for this at Big W on special. The machine is small enough to travel with me in my suit case. I've had it for 2 1/2 years now and it hasn't missed a beat. Its been on oil rigs and half way round the world to the UK and back many times. Coffee needs to be pre-ground but for $99 makes better coffee (if you know how to make coffee) than most coffee shops in Perth WA. Would recommend this product anytime especially if you are looking to travel with it. Steamer works real well. Big thumbs up.

Date PurchasedApr 2015

leila

leila

not bad

coffee machine is great in all experience coffee always tadted amazing
very easy to use ! easy to clean but it had its down falls it was loud nd graonsof coffee wete never melted proply it would be hard to get take out were the coffee went in it would jam alot aswell but its not bad

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Lisa

LisaBrisbane

I love it

Date PurchasedJul 2017

RJ M

RJ MSouth West, WA

Works as it should....

Bought this on ebay for my wife who just finished a barista course.
Pretty basic but a good starting point to see if she continues interest.
Makes all the coffees she learnt in the course (8?) and is good inexpensive fun.
12 months warranty which is good.
Even if it only lasts a year or so, it is still good value at the $100 purchase price.

Great but leaking water,

I've just bought this machine few days ago. It's a nice creamy espresso but already leaking water from water rereservoir. I wondering , I can repair to change new O-ring??I don't want to have a repair at Sunbeam company because it's need to cost delivery fee n wait a couple of months I think..

imawag

So hesistant to write another review on a Sunbeam Coffee machine but...

this one has worked perfectly for the last 2½ years. Purchased in Feb 2015 from Harvey Norman at $106.90 inc delivery. No bells or whistles - a great little coffee machine that does all on an individual basis. A one cup wonder. Two cups from one scoop - forget it - weak and diluted. But one cup at a time - excellent. Takes up minimal bench space. Easy to clean. Quick and reasonable quiet - great for morning and afternoon lates and frothing milk for a hot chocolate before bed for a good nights sleep.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Hi imawag,
Thanks for the great review! Enjoy. Kind Regards Sunbeam.

Isabelle

IsabelleGold coast

Ok

It was an ok machine. A little bulky so it was put in the cupboard, which meant that when I felt like coffee I usually couldn't be bothered taking it out of the cupboard and getting it ready. So in the 2 years I had it, I probably only used it less than ten times. It made nice tasting coffee although a little bit loud. Easy to operate. In the end i sold it on gumtree and bought a pod machine.

Date PurchasedDec 2013

LB

LBBRISBANE

love this machine

This machine was 99 from big w and we love it. We use it every day- sometimes 2x a day and never had an issue. Its easy to use and had a frother which is also handy. We liked it so much we bought them all as Christmas presents for our family.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

Kelise

KeliseAdelaide

Good for what is it

It is easy to use with no unnecessary buttons or functions. It is great for a small cup of coffee but won't fit a thermos or anything bigger than a medium sized cup. We also found the machine quite loud, especially the frother but it is bearable. Overall great for a small office or to put in the kitchen.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Janani

JananiAdelaide

I bought this almost one and half years ago and have used it every day since then to make two cups of coffee in the morning. It took a week or so to learn to use it properly. It took some time to learn how to froth milk without making a loud noise. Also, the tray must be emptied after every use or the water can spill over. After learning these little things making coffee with it became really easy. The coffee is as good as from any cafe (depending on the quality of coffee used). Easy to use and maintain. Great value for money.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Danielle

DanielleKANDANGA

Great but hard to get the inserts out of the coffee holder

We purchased this machine from bigw about 6mths ago. It's a great little machine, doesn't easily fit a big cup but wasn't designed to! The only issue I have is trying to get the half shot / single shot inserts for the coffee holder in and out - I nearly stab myself with a knife trying to do this in the mornings. I would be great to have a second handle to use but the parts are too expensive.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Anthony Porterasked

Can this coffee maker (model EM2800) discharge HOT WATER?
I was looking at one in the shops today thinking of buying one because my other one, an EM3600 is about 5 years old. It still works great, but it's old and I fear it will soon stop working, so need one to replace it when the inevitable occurs. I found out that the EM3600 is now a discontinued model - no longer made.
Unlike my existing EM3600, this model EM2800 and the EM3820 I was looking at today, do not appear to have a 2 position steam / hot-water selector switch.
That switch allows you to discharge hot water (rather than just steam) through the steam wand, if it is selected to 'water' mode and obviously for steam if steam is selected.
It seems this EM2800 model and the EM3820 only allows one to discharge steam, with no hot-water option.
Is this correct? Or, is there some way you can get hot water out of these 'newer' but seemingly less versatile models that supposedly supersede the very good EM3600?
I downloaded the instruction manual for the EM2800 and it doesn't mention anything about hot water, so I assume it can't.

Alby

Anthony, Unfortunately it does not discharge hot water.

Hi Anthony,
No it does not have a hot water dispenser. You would have to run through the coffee part.

Thanks,
That's exactly what I expected. Looks like I'll have to find a brand that has not been downgraded and its manufacturer tries to convince us that the older model has been 'superseded' by an inferior, low performance product, yet retails for the same price as the earlier (much better) model.
Very disappointed in you Sunbeam.
I and my family have been using your (formerly) great products for as long as I can remember and Im now 61 years old.
That excellent EM3600 coffee maker was the last Sunbeam appliance I purchased and be rest assured, it will be the last Sunbeam product I will EVER buy.

Clare

Clareasked

Hi I really love my Sunbeam piccolo espresso machine but like a few other people have mentioned it constantly leaks water from the tank. It's like the seal between the tank and the machine doesn't work. I've tried removing and reinserting it and for a few days it will be fine but then it starts leaking again. Is there a way to stop this without having to take it back?

Boba

If it is still under Warranty and you have your receipt get it replaced.
I experienced problems with mine, (not your problems). I contacted Sunbeam and their after-sales service was excellent. They advised me to return it to the store and get it exchanged. No queries, no hassles, great service.

Hi Clare,
Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. Boba is correct . So sorry to hear of this. If purchased with in the last 12 months and you have your receipt please return it to the store of purchase. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Erin C.

Erin C.asked

difference between 2800 and 3500.

Hi Erin C.
Thank you for contacting Sunbeam.
EM2800 is a current model. 1.3L water tank and has extra cup height clearance.
EM3500 is obsolete. 1 L water tank - no extra cup height clearance.
Kind regards, Sunbeam

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives

CategoryManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines