Sunbeam Piccolo Espresso EM2800

Sunbeam Piccolo Espresso EM2800

MPN: EM2800
Sunbeam Piccolo Espresso EM2800 Showcases

Official material from Sunbeam.

• Product is used
  • Consistency
  • Milk Frothing

RobertSouth East Queensland, QLD

Amazing

I've had this for years - couldn't tell you how many. No bells and whistles, which frankly I don't care for, just an extremely reliable and simple-to-use machine. It makes consistently good coffee with great crema and milk frothing. I have made literally thousands of brews with this mighty little machine.

Purchased in July 2013 at Big W for $99.00.

Helen

HelenGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Purchased in April 2020.

Hello Helen,
I am so sorry about the service you had received, I'd like to rectify that and find a solution you're happy with. Please send me a private message with your case number so I can see your case history and escalate a solution for you.

KJRSouth East Queensland, QLD

You buy cheap you get cheap

Bought this the other day to use in Caravan and leave at my daughters so I can have real coffee when I visit. It is adequate.. just. Steamer pushes out hot water more than steam, I leave it to heat up for quite a while and it seems to improve it a bit but.... Creama is almost non-existent. Will see if I can master it over time. Shouldn't compare with my $800 Sunbeam Cafe Series Twin Thermoblock System which also has it's issues (see my other review).

Purchased in July 2020 at Big W for $99.00.

BernMaeSydney, NSW

Unbeatable value.

Great little performer. But as with all espresso machines, it needs to be paired with a good grinder that will cost you two to three times the price of the machine. The grinder is by far the most important component of a brewing setup and has the biggest effect on the flavour outcome. Only use freshly roasted coffee beans - purchased about two weeks from the roasting date, and consume the beans within a month. Avoid supermarket beans and pre-ground coffee because these products are stale.

Purchased at The Good Guys for $90.00.

Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

Find out how Sunbeam Piccolo Espresso EM2800 compares to other Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

ShaneA

ShaneASydney Surrounds, NSW

A great little bench warmer.

Purchased in October 2018 at Target Australia for $129.00.

Sunbeam - WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

My machine broke after 3 months of use. I contacted Sunbeam who agreed to replace the product. This was over 5 weeks ago!

What I found out was they addressed the delivery incorrectly. When it was returned they did nothing. Never thought of contacting me or re-sending it until I worked it out. Then I was promised an express delivery, never happened. And to this day, over a week since it was resent allegedly, they have not provided me with a tracking number even though I have asked 3 times and I am still without a machine.

God help you with you have to deal with this incompetent bunch. All I want is my money back now.

Purchased in June 2019.

Hi Jonathan,

I apologies about the level of customer care you have had, I would like to help you resolve this issue. Could you please provide me with your case number?

Jonathan C.
Jonathan C.

Please, i got no where with them today. They asked me cut the cut cord and throw out the machine for a second time. Ref #00735283

BobaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Reasonable result

I've never had a machine before so perhaps I'm expecting to much. The machine is very easy to use. I don't use the frother. It makes a good cup of coffee and gives an excellent crema. However it isn't warm enough. Sunbeam replaced my first machine but the replacement is the same. The green indicator light goes off even before a very small cup has been filled. It is also quite noisy. I bought because I wanted a cheap simple machine and Choice recommended it. If the coffee was hotter I'd be happy but because of that I couldn't recommend it. Incidentally the after sales service from Sunbeam was excellent. Quick, positive and helpful.
I now just give the coffee a quick zap in the microwave to bring up the temperature.

Purchased in June 2019 at Target Australia for $109.00.

Hi Boba,
Thank you for the good review. Espresso coffee is never as hot as instant boiled from the kettle but microwaving to your liking can be a good option...

Boba

Thanks for the quick response. The Sunbeam after sales service has been great. Many companies don't respond to reviews so it's good to see that Sunbeam are interested in customer reviews.

Hi Boba,
We appreciate it...

John M.

John M.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Perfect coffee at bargain price

Had this machine for 6 years and have just had to replace the brew head seal ($15 delivered via eBay). Quick warm up and very easy to use.Makes perfect coffee and good milk frother. Never missed a beat just hope I can still get replacement deals when I next need to replace it. Not as stylish as some machines but the quality of the coffee is what counts.

Purchased in May 2013 at Big W Retail Stores for $99.00.

Hi John M. Thanks for the great review. Enjoy ! Kind Regards Sunbeam

Alby

AlbyBallina

Very good coffee Great value

Had this machine for six years and hasn’t missed a beat. Makes excellent espresso and froths milk very well. Provided fresh quality beans are used and you have a good idea how to make a barista quality shot you won’t find a better result in a machine 10times the price. (Mine was $99).
Nice and compact and easy to clean.
Only maintenance is I run a cleaning chemical through it once a year and replaced group head and froth wand silicon seals after 4yrs.
Would not hesitate to purchase another should mine die.

Purchased in February 2013 at Big W Retail Stores for $99.00.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for the great review Alby

myselfPerth, WA

Value for money

I'm very happy with machine, very good for medium single cup. I take only black coffee. I do have one problem with Group Handle. I unscrew the little screw to clean the handle than I noticed whole thing was mouldy (look like). I could not clean the handle, it appears coating its gone and left black stains. That part its not Staines steal. That metal don't like hot. I'm still using the machine but it does put me off because I have to pull apart every time after use. Please can you tell me why is that happening I do love my little machine. I got the machine online on 30/08/2017. Hope I hear from you soon. Thank you
Regards

Sonja Turina
Perth

Hi,
You shouldn't need to take screws off to clean. You really should just remove the filter basket and scrub all over and this should take care of the cleaning for the handle.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi The filter basket needs to be removed from the handle to give it a good clean....it can be quite tight whilst new. You could try using a toothbrush to get around the screws and into the holes in the filter basket itself.

Nene

Nene

Stopped working after 6 months

I was very happy with this machine at first, it made lovely espresso. Then 6 months later it started to leak from the seal where the group handle attaches. It doesn’t matter what type of coffee I use, it just doesn’t work anymore. I’ll be spending a bit more next time to get something that lasts longer.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Nene, it could be that there is a problem with the rubber seal but hard to say.
Please return to the store of purchase with your receipt as your machine is still under warranty and the store will replace it for you.

ConnieRedcliffe

Love my Piccolo

I’ve had my little Piccolo for around 7years and has been used every day. Unfortunately I’m going to have to buy a new machine pretty soon as the cup now stays stuck in the machine when I remove the wand and it hurts my arthritic hands to remove it.
It’s been a brilliant. I’m hoping I can buy another.

Date PurchasedSept 2011
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Connie. Thanks for the great review!! The EM2800 is still available to buy through all major retailers.

Connie

Thanks Sunbeam. I have enquirer in department stores here in my area. None of them sell the Piccolo.
Do you have a list of places in or around Brisbane. Would really appreciate your help. Thanks. connie

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Connie. Unfortunately we don't have visibility of the retailer's stock levels so I can't guarantee you of a place to purchase. If it's easier for you, you can purchase directly from www.sunbeam.com.au and we will post it directly to you!

Jess

JessMelbourne

Fantastic Coffee Machine

I love this coffee machine. The stream wand to froth the milk is the perfect size, I used to be a barista and compared frothing the milk with the sunbeam vs my mum's expensive machine (cant remember the brand but it was a $600 purchase) and hands down the Sunbeam makes much better milk. If you're like me and only making 1-2 coffees a day then don't waste your money on a fancy machine - this is all you need.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Didn't get to make coffee because water tank leaked like a sieve returned it and replacement did the

Didn't get to make any coffee as the water reservoir leaked like a sieve. Liked the fact it came with a milk jug and cup warmer tho. Second machine leaked as well but store wouldn't replace a second time but refunded money instead so bought a Delonghi instead which I'm very happy with.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
jay

jay

Does the job

I purchased this machine to practise my milk frothing but this machines milk frother air nosel is not very strong so it takes abit longer than an industrial machine. That being said, it does make beautiful coffee, just like barista made if you get your milk right. It heats milk well. It is easy to use, a little noisy but not too bad, not enough to be annoying. Easy to clean and maintain, not too bulky so doesn’t take up much bench space.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Rob

Robperth

Great value for money

Paid $99 for this at Big W on special. The machine is small enough to travel with me in my suit case. I've had it for 2 1/2 years now and it hasn't missed a beat. Its been on oil rigs and half way round the world to the UK and back many times. Coffee needs to be pre-ground but for $99 makes better coffee (if you know how to make coffee) than most coffee shops in Perth WA. Would recommend this product anytime especially if you are looking to travel with it. Steamer works real well. Big thumbs up.

Date PurchasedApr 2015

leila

leila

not bad

coffee machine is great in all experience coffee always tadted amazing
very easy to use ! easy to clean but it had its down falls it was loud nd graonsof coffee wete never melted proply it would be hard to get take out were the coffee went in it would jam alot aswell but its not bad

Date PurchasedJan 2015
Lisa

LisaBrisbane

I love it

Date PurchasedJuly 2017
RJ M

RJ MSouth West, WA

Works as it should....

Bought this on ebay for my wife who just finished a barista course.
Pretty basic but a good starting point to see if she continues interest.
Makes all the coffees she learnt in the course (8?) and is good inexpensive fun.
12 months warranty which is good.
Even if it only lasts a year or so, it is still good value at the $100 purchase price.

Great but leaking water,

I've just bought this machine few days ago. It's a nice creamy espresso but already leaking water from water rereservoir. I wondering , I can repair to change new O-ring??I don't want to have a repair at Sunbeam company because it's need to cost delivery fee n wait a couple of months I think..

Frequently Asked Questions about Sunbeam Piccolo Espresso EM2800

Why is my steam frother making loud noises?

When steaming milk, it sometimes produces a loud, high pitched "screaming" sound. This occurs when the steam wand is not drawing in enough air. This can be prevented by keeping the tip of the steam wand so that it's approximately 2cm in from the jug wall and no more than 1cm beneath the surface of the milk. Turn the steam wand on and adjust the jug with your hand until you hear the milk "hissing" - this is the sound it should make when milk is expanding.

Why is my machine constantly leaking water? What can I do to fix it?

1. Make sure the drip tray is pushed tightly against the machine. Empty it regularly to avoid waste water overflow.
  2. Make sure the red plug on the water reservoir is removed and the reservoir is sitting flush against the machine. Check for any cracks or foreign particles stuck on the valve / connectors on the water tank and machine base.
  3. If it's leaking from the group head make sure the group head handle is on tight and check for the seal.

What is the correct way to brew coffee with my machine?

1. Fill the water reservoir with cold water.
  2. Turn the Piccolo Espresso ‘On’. The power light will illuminate amber. When the steam/espresso indicator light is illuminated green the Piccolo Espresso is ready to prepare an espresso.
  3. Pre-heat your coffee cups.
  4. Select the required filter for 1 or 2 cups of coffee and place in the filter handle.
  5. Using the measuring spoon supplied, place one or two measures of ground coffee into the filter. With the other end of the measuring spoon, use the tamper to pack down the coffee grinds. Do not apply too much pressure. Do not overfill the filter with too much coffee. Wipe around the edge of the filter to remove any coffee grinds.
  6. Place the filter handle on the machine's brewing head. Position the handle so it points to the left, place the filter handle flat against the brewing head, then turn the handle towards the right as far as it can go.
  7. Place 1 or 2 pre-heated cups below the pouring spouts.
  8. When the Piccolo Espresso is at the correct temperature for preparing espresso the steam/espresso indicator light will illuminate green.
  9. To make an espresso, turn the operating dial to the espresso setting. Once the cups are filled to the desired level, turn the operating dial back to the stand-by position.
  10. Remove the filter handle and the filter by turning the filter handle to the left.
  11. To remove the used coffee grinds from the filter, simply turn the filter handle upside down and bang into a knock-bin.

Why is my seal broken and what should I do?

The brew head seal is located in the brewing head and creates a seal against the filter handle when making an espresso. When your Sunbeam Piccolo Espresso is not being used, it is recommend that you do not leave the filter handle attached to the machine as this will reduce the life of the seal. Over time this seal loses its elasticity and will require replacement – usually every 6-12 months. Signs that the seal is deteriorating are when: the filter handle rotates to the far right and feels loose, or steam escapes from around the brewing head during use.

To replace the brew head seal, contact the Sunbeam Customer Service Center on 1300 881 861.

Why can't water make it through the grinds and instead sprays out of the top squirting hot water all over?

When the grind is too fine and the grounds are packed too tightly together, it will be harder for the water to penetrate the coffee puck. This will result in an extraction that is too slow, hence bitter drinks. Adjust the grind setting and make the grinds coarser. Don't apply too much pressure when tamping.

It seems the water filters through the machine too quickly and it affects the taste of my coffee. What can I do?

If the grind is too coarse and the grounds have not been packed tightly together, water will pass through the coffee puck too quickly. Adjust the grind setting and make the grinds finer. Apply a firm pressure when tamping.

Latest Consumer Questions

Barbasked

I am having problems removing 2 cup filter from the group handle, which seems immovable. Is there a simple way to get it out to change to the 1 cup please?

KJR

I use edge of spoon or knife end or skewer in the little devit. Yes it is tight but it gets a bit easier as time goes by. It has to be tight to stay in I think.

Barb

Thank you KJR. Have tried all those but it still won't budge!

Robert

Yeah, I had the same problem. I just fill 2 cup filter half full. I'd actually forgotten it had been a problem! I always use a double shot for my own coffee anyway. You could probably get a replacement from Sunbeam if it is an issue, but with postage it might end up costing you half the price you paid for the machine. How long have you had it? if it's only a couple of years you would probably be covered under Consumer Law for 'reasonable expectation of use' - this 12 month warranty garbage has no legal standing - it's designed to make you take exy additional warranties on purchases. It's basically a con and a complete waste of money. Case in point: my 2+ year old Samsung flat screen that started playing up - I dug my heels in and mentioned Consumer Affairs and HN footed the repair bill, or maybe Samsung did - but it wasn't me and that's all I cared about. It's just not worth their while getting into that stuff and it could make them look pretty bad.

Jasmine93asked

I purchased this machine not even 2 weeks ago, it has started leaking water all over my bench already and for some reason no matter what I do, won’t make a good cup of coffee. It just burns the coffee and makes it taste terrible. I’m a barista so definitely know it’s something with the machine. :( Anyone else have this problem?

Robert

When does it leak specifically and where does the water come out? Is it simply that the tray is full?
It seems unlikely that a seal would already be faulty.
I take it that you have read the manual thoroughly.
I don't understand how hot water can burn your coffee, even boiling water in a cafetiere doesn't burn coffee, there must be some other issue. What sort of coffee do you use? is it pre-ground when you purchase it, because it's too old to produce a really good cup of coffee.
You at least need to grind your own. You need a fairly fine grind. There's heaps of stuff on the net about this. Once beans are roasted, they will begin to deteriorate pretty quickly. You don't know how long they've been sitting in container ship with wild fluctuations in temperature. Best to roast your own if you are prepared to.
Hope this helps, let me know how you get on.

Hi Robert,
It definitely seems to be leaking from the seal and does constantly, my bench is always wet. It’s definitely not from the tray being full, it’s emptied after every use. Being a barista I know to check these things :) I ended up getting the coffee bit sorted itself but it’s definitely leaking from the seal and unfortunately where I purchased no longer sell them to replace it

Anyaaasked

Hi, just bought the em2800 & despite having water filled to max, machine on with green light, handle inserted no water comes through. Any help appreciated.

BernMae

Return it and demand an exchange for one that works.

Anyaa

Thanks BernMae but did some more troubleshooting & fixed the problem. Easier than posting machine back. There was an airlock. Machine now working well.

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives

CategorySemi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines