Sunbeam Planetary Mixmaster MX7900

Sunbeam Planetary Mixmaster MX7900

MX7900R (Red), MX7900W (White), MX7900 and MX7900B (Blue)

Would NOT buy again

worked well for 2 years. mixed bread dough, meringues, cakes as expected. after a bit over 2 years it lost speed control and could not operate at the lower speeds to mix dough. very disappointing, as there is apparently no service agent in Townsville, where i live and purchased the machine. i am now stuck in a cue to sunbeam to figure out what to do...
another issue.. the mixing paddle is useless as the rubber blade has a large gap between it and the wall of the mixing bowl, where all butter and sugar accumulates, not reachable by the paddle . So you can not cream butter and sugar for a normal size recipe.
Not happy!

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Great First Mixer!!!

I was given this sunbeam mixer as a Christmas present in 2017. The first one I received worked well for the first week then started to spark, I immediately got this returned and replaced with another identical mixer. I have had no problems with it, it does mixes really well, however depending on what you're making, the bottom ingredients won't necessarily mix, but that can be easily fixed by manually scooping it up back into the mixture. It does tend to struggle a bit with hard butter which makes it sound a little strained and the tops moves quite a bit. It makes cooking quiches and cakes very easy. My only complaint is that the handle to the bowl is only glued on and has since fallen of from my mixing bowl.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Hi Eleni please give us a call on 1300 881 861 to discuss the handle on the processing bowl and we can see if we can assist you.

Weak motor, died completely after 10 uses

Nice looking machine and well designed accessories. We used it only occasionally after the 40 year old Kenwood Chef passed down from my mother-in-law finally died. We found the motor to be pretty weak, and the bowl a strange shape at the bottom which meant ingredients didn’t mix. Fitting the bowl to the base was awkward. But then after using it only about 10 times, the motor failed completely. Glad I bought the extended warranty!

Date PurchasedSep 2016
Hi Mahkuhl! Thanks for the feedback and apologies for the issues you experienced. Have you contacted the retailer or Sunbeam customer care re this issue??

Love the dough mixer

Just made myself some bread using the dough setting on the mixer. Pretty impressed with how it mixed the ingredients in no time perfectly blended and with no requirement for me to knead dough and snap my floppy arms off. Looking forward to making cakes and biscuits and pavlova with this mixer in the near future. It looks stylish on the kitchen bench too :)

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Doesn't do the job

This machine is very disappointing. I thought sunbeam was a great brand, but not for mixers! Quite simply, it cannot knead dough. The safety lock does not work on the bowl. My two year old son is now terrified whenever I pull the mix master out, as the bowl lurches off the mixer if you don't physically hold it down when attempting to knead dough. When this happened a number of times trying to make pizza dough, I thought I would try a half batch of bread dough instead - same problem.

Standard mixing also fails, as flour ends up everywhere and it doesn't evenly mix - it doesn't reach to the bottom of the bowl, nor does it pick up anything from the sides.

The machine is unusable and a real disappointment.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Can't mix anything on the bottle of the bowl

This cute little mixmaster fails to reach the base of the bowl making it impracticable. The motor is unable to deal with any more than 2 cups and will often fail. Despite coming with several attachments, Whisk, dough hook, and a spatula beater. The machine still doesn't reach the bottom of the bowl, It is unable to knead anything over a cup without the machine rocking and the jumping like its having an epileptic seizure. Whisking egg whites, butter etc required removing the bowl and lifting it into the whisk. Making Pizza dough, cookie dough etc is impossible as the machine is unable to handle any large.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Quite good - not without issues.

This is a massive step up from some of the cheaper mixers which border on disposable but for the cost could use some refinement.
Pros:
Powerful enough to do almost all jobs quickly. Less powerful machines will take a long time to achieve what this one does in no time.
Very solid and seems to be well made.
Cons:
Very heavy machine. Not sure if this is avoidable but older or infirm users will struggle to move it around the kitchen.
Tends to throw things out of the bowl a bit. Now it should be noted that there is a bowl cover available which would solve this problem but it is an optional accessory. Given that this is clearly a design flaw I really think the cover should come standard (it's even shown in the picture on the box).

The acid test question is 'Would I buy this again'. The answer is maybe but I would certainly look around for other models. At $200+ it's appealing to users who don't want junk and should therefore be just a bit more refined.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

I bought this machine to replace my old Kenwood. I use it to make biscuits with the dough hook. This machine will not mix the dough properly. I use No 1 setting (the slowest) but the machine speeds up throwing dough everywhere and the bowl becomes unlocked from the base causing a hell of a mess. It might be ok for meringue. Definitely NOT a useful kitchen item.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Great tool for simple recipes

This is a relatively cheap model compared to the higher powered mixmasters, and this does show when trying to blend thicker cake mixes or doughs. In saying this, for things like merengue or thiner cookie batters, this works well. The balloon whisk is handy to get your egg whites stiff and the flat paddle is great for blending and folder. A handy tool for the simple things. ,

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Waste of money

I got this from harvey norman lady year. I really wanted a benchtop mixer to make my baking easier.
I've had it for 18 months now and have used it .
My issue is that the bowl comes unlocked continuously so I can't ever let go of the bowl for more than 10 seconds at a time! It is so frustrating!! It really hasn't made my baking any easier.
Also attachment hit the bolw and make a sound. I have took this to harvey noman. They have checked with thire display. That one also have the same issue. What they said after, what you pay what you get. Funny.
Every time I use it I aware I'm going to get rid of it! I wouldnt recommend anyone buy it. Save your money for a KitchenAid or Kenwood people!!!

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Good cake mixer

I have had my mixer for almost 2 1/2 years. Initially after about 3 months my mixing paddle broke. My hubby had brought this for me and hadn't kept the receipt so I didn't hold much hope in getting it replaced without paying, but when I emailed sunbeam they were great and sent a replacement in a couple of days at their cost. I use this all the time and other than that is still going strong. The only complaint I have is that it is messy and always flicks the dry ingredients out of the bowl. Also I find I have to stop and manually mix halfway through as some of the mix goes to the side and doesn't mix in.

Date PurchasedMay 2015

Technology going backwards

Comes with a "paddle" to beat/mix. Paddle chucks contents out of the bowl all over the cook, bench and floor. Depression in the bottom of the bowl keeps ingredients away from mixing process. You need to be a weightlifter to raise the mixer head with one hand (let alone the one finger in the advertisement). Very disappointed in a brand which has been such an icon for so long.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Great kitchen mixer

Motor is powerful enough to be used for beating / mixing and kneading.
Regularly used for pizza doughs, as well as cake batters and souffle mix.
Handy to have the ability to raise / lower the head with one hand pressing the button.
Not overly noisy and it is easy to clean

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Ok mixer with a couple of annoying flaws

I got my Planetary Mixmaster as a gift as I do a lot of baking and really wanted a benchtop mixer to make my baking easier.
I've had it for 18 months now and have used it a lot.
My first issue is that it struggles to mix small amounts of ingredients like creaming butter and sugar together. The attachments spread the ingredients to the edges of the bowl so the job doesn't get done. I've had to go buy a handheld beater set to do the small quantity work (after I threw out mine whe I got the Mixmaster).
My second issue is that the bowl comes unlocked continuously so I can't ever let go of the bowl for more than 10 seconds at a time! It is so frustrating!! It really hasn't made my baking any easier.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

After only 7 uses it no longer works. Extremely poor value for money!

My lovely red mixer gave up the ghost last weekend after only 7 uses. I paid $260 for it which equates to over $37 per use, that's some very expensive cakes! When you turn it on low it speeds up to super high fast speed for 2 seconds before turning off completely and won't restart without waiting for 10 minutes then it does the same thing again. I rang Sunbeam but because it is out of warranty they would only refer me to a repair centre where I will have to pay to just get it looked at. Very disappointed. I have a 37 year old hand mixer that's still going strong, whereas this mixer - that cost me 10 times as much - lasted only 2 and a bit years. I will never buy Sunbeam again. I only wish I had read the reviews before buying it, maybe I would have saved myself $260!!!

Date PurchasedSep 2014

Totally disappointing

I bought this machine more than 2years from Good Guy on special &249. I don't always use it since I bought. But recently it doesn't work properly. It won't turn on when I push the head down. I need to try many time to push and lift the head. It supposed to be convince for me to whip the egg white. I tried today as usual but it finally didn't work. I was so disappointing and gave up to use it. I don't know if something wrong with the motor or other stuff.

Date PurchasedOct 2014

Ongoing issues

i bought my first one of these 2 years ago. Just as it was about to come out of warranty a burning smell permeated the air and the motor died. It was replaced under warranty. The next one I got worked well and I was pleased except it now no longer seems to be able to differentiate between a slow beat and a full speed beat and as a result the kitchen gets covered with the ingredients. I assume it needs adjusting or tightening and would appreciate it if Sunbeam could confirm this please? Thx Heather

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Disappointing

Just used this lovely looking mixer today, after my fantastic old sunbeam of many years packed it in. Even on one of the lowest speeds, I had flour/cocoa spreading all over the bench. The spatula attachment did not scrape the sides down and so I was left with lumps in my cake batter.The User guide instructed me to attach the mixing attachment using a clock wise motion, when it is actually an anti clockwise motion that is needed, and a clockwise motion for removal.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Dreadful purchase

This is the worst mixer I have ever used. It wont turn the beater until on at least 5 and then goes so fast everything jumps out over the edge of the bowl making a huge mess and all the ingredients need to be put back in off the bench and floor. Now the plastic beater has broken just mixing mince for sausage rolls. Avoid purchasing this unless you want to make just one muffin at a time.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Disappointed

Really disappointed. I saved for this and brout on sale at big w for $260 and after only 6 months of owning and only using a handful of times my wisk attachment fell apart today while using it. Even though it is still under warranty I can't find my receipt to return it

Hi Tracey, I do apologise for the experience you have had with the Sunbeam MX7900B. Please give our Customer Care team a call on 1300 881 861 and one of our representatives will be more than happy to assist. Kind Regards SunbeamSo I have called the customer Care team and been told that they will email me so I can send a photo of my broken wisk and they will send me a replacement. Still waiting for the email so I can send the photo of the broken wisk