• Claim Resolution Time3+ months (4), 2-4 weeks (2) and 1-2 months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (1) · No (13)
Denise39

Denise39Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Good communication and resolution

I was recently made redundant and had to cancel all my travel plans, some of which were not fully refundable. I checked my insurance policy and was pleasantly surprised to see that redundancy was covered and there were no exclusions that applied to me. I applied for a refund for the money I wasn't able to recoup from my airline. The insurance company communicated with me regularly, asking for reasonable additional documentation and giving me a clear understanding of when to expect a response. They paid my claim as well, which is what I expected based on the policy wording. Thank you so much for making that part of the journey without stress. After trying to get a partial refund via the airline for months, it was really appreciated.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateSeptember 2020
Claim ApprovedYes
Customer ExperienceSureSave

Wast of money for insurance

Don’t wast your money on this insurance company I had travel insurance in sept last year when covid start our trip was cancelled I put in a claim and was knocked back luckily my sister had insurance with another company and they paid her out so I would look around and never go through this company

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateApril 2020
Customer ExperienceSureSave

No Compassion - No Telephone Communication & Lots of Excuses from every man & his dog from this company

I am starting to agree with other reviews about no payouts and communication.Just days before we was going on a trip to New Zealand my father became ill, hence passed away in the first week that we would of been away, funeral on the day that we was meant to come back. This claim is now into the sixth month with excuse after excuse even tho they have the documents more than once.no one will call me back even tho it was promised two times in 48 hrs,it is now two months ago.Beware if booking a trip from RACT and using Suresave insurance you might not be covered

DestinationNew Zealand
Claim DateFebruary 2020
David Oates
David Oates

I have heard all of this for the last 6 months you will hear from my Lawler very soon

Val Zanotto

Val ZanottoIllawarra, NSW

Corrupt

Customer ExperienceSureSave

No cover for cancelled airline route (before COVID-19)

Eileen Denton .Far North Queensland, QLD

Non existent cover for our overseas trip cancelled due to corona virus

We went with Sure Safe because it was maybe $60 less than the other cover offered us. It covered fares, hotel and luggage plus health, but, when we had to cancel due to the corona virus and me being immunocompromised which they knew about beforehand - I was told we were NOT covered and to please refer to page 72 of the fine printed booklet. What was the point of using this company they were absolutely no help and the person I spoke with just kept repeating to please refer to page 72. They refused to cover us because of the pandemic. Not happy and do not feel inclined to give them any good reviews ever going on our experience. Sadly. Might as well have saved the money and not taken out any insurance.

Insurance Cover ForAdult, Child, Senior and Teenager
Sandy W

Sandy WFar North Queensland, QLD

No communication

Insurance Cover ForAdult and Senior
Claim DateMarch 2020
Louise

LouiseGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Wont refund - even if trips cancelled due to pandemic

I have been advised by my travel agent that the insurance company wont cancel and refund my insurance even though my trip is not going forward due to the pandemic. I would not recommend SureSave, as inflexible and not understanding.

Poor behaviour

Suresave are trying to keep premiums for travel insurance for travel that is no longer possible due to pandemic which has in effect been voided by pandemic. They are carrying no risk for cancellation, illness from other causes, travel delays, lost luggage but want to keep the premium while not being at risk for any claim. This is unconscionable conduct.

Neil

So are you refunding my premium as you are no longer insuring me? Or will you do so to avoid bad media?
Your email asked for the same info as before. It was only because I set the consumer affairs mob on you that I got my money back.

Find out how SureSave compares to other Travel Insurance

There isn’t a no star option.

We purchased our comprehensive travel insurance on the recommendation of our travel agent. Our policy was taken out in September 2019 and when we had to cancel our trip due to Covid-19 all obligation on SureSave behalf were waived. Basically their response was we don’t cover pandemics - no recourse no chance to appeal.
Pretty sad when they are promoted by a travel agent and then just wash their hands of any liability to help.
Our insurance is now not worth anything, we can’t travel and no refund on policy. A complaint was lodged 11 days ago and no response.
Just poor service!

LolaMSouth East Queensland, QLD

Not sure about SureSave

Whilst our claim was handled fairly quickly, we weren't happy with the outcome.
As travellers we aren't always aware of all things that might go wrong. Taking out insurance for overseas travel, is supposed to give us peace of mind. So it was a shock and disappointment to find we weren't covered for insolvency of wholesale accommodation provider used by our travel agent. We paid more than we budgeted for on this recent holiday which was supposed to be fun and relaxing but instead was marred by problems we did not foresee. We trusted our insurer Sure Save to protect us. We haven't saved anything by using them. But they sure did save by not compensating us. This was the first time we used Sure Save but it's likely we won't be doing so again.

Kylie M

Kylie MSouth East Queensland, QLD

No point in getting comprehensive cover. Means NOTHING!

DestinationAfrica
Insurance Cover ForSenior
Claim DateOctober 2019
James G.

James G.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Waste of money ... And time

Surfboard damaged by airline. Numerous phonecalls/documentation/emails required, sometimes twice for the same document. Quotes were obtained for repair or replacement which took time and travel. The claim was denied ... 'sporting goods not covered'. Could've told me that on day one and saved a lot of running around and precious time! Never again. Would've given no stars but not given the option.

DestinationNew Zealand
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateDecember 2019

Dee

Again claims team does not get back to you will never use this insurance again poor service experience

No response from claims after ringing and emailing had issue before hit some response and they do the same thing
I submitted claim waiting for claims people to ring my back

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property

Poor service

A also submitted a claim with suresave and they said the same thing it seems like the pattern is the same and you ring them sit on hold for 30 minutes and then they hang up

Dee

Spoke to them in the phone said all good then get an email saying we haven’t recieved their documents poor communication

Louise

LouiseHobart, TAS

Not worth the paper it's written on

Claim DateOctober 2019
Toby N.

Toby N.Sydney, NSW

Terrible service

Its been three months since I lodged my claim I still awaiting a resolution. Over this time:
- they changed my claim number without telling me
- theyve lost emails I sent
- theyve not been in touch within time frames theyve advised
- theyve not returned phone calls
- theyve not returned my most recent complaint phone call

They have provided a terrible service. At the very least they should return phone calls and let me know what the hold up is.

Claim DateAugust 2019
Jackie

JackieHobart, TAS

Cruise cover

Our travel agent booked our travel insurance for our cruise though suresave we took the higher policy with zero excess. We missed 2 ports on our cruise. We joined a Facebook page before leaving on our cruise on our return a lot of fellow passengers were discusseing that they claimed between $50 and $100 per person per port unfortunately suresave does not cover this. And if we had of took insurance with one of these other companies we would have save between $20 to $30 dollars and would have able to claim missed ports. If cruising look around and compare

Mark Phillips

Mark PhillipsQueensland

Going downhill past

I've used this company on and off for nearly 30 years. Their service is failing spectacularly at present. Instead of fixing my renewal with the correct policy (advised 3 weeks after being charged) they've spent 4 months delaying and not dealing with the problem. Now refusing to cancel the wrongly charged for policy.

Alison D.SureSave

Hi Mark,
I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. I will send you a private message to request some more information so I can look into this for you.

Mark B

Mark BIllawarra, NSW

Their policy seems to be "Deny Everything". Terrible company

My son broke his collarbone while snow skiing in Japan. Sure Save have continued to deny our claim. Each time we send through the relevant documents Sure Save find another reason for us to re-send the same documents and more reasons not to pay the claim.

Hi Mark,
I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. I will send you a private message to gather some more details so I can escalate your claim.

EVA S.

EVA S.asked

SureSave

The client was unable to travel due to COVID, automatically assumed refund for her travel insurence. The company does not want to refund the cost of the travel insurence paid. Please explain

Eileen Denton .

That was exactly that plain and simple. They have since refunded the cost of the policy it seems, been told via travel agent who are holding this credit for us against future travel - but they in effect left us high and dry re other costs when we thought we were covered

Hi Eva,

Thanks for getting in contact. I'd be more than happy to look into this for you. I'll send you a private message to get a few more details.

Brenden - Customer Experience

Port S.

Port S.asked

SureSave

Live in Australia, about to go on a 7 day fishing trip, will be on the mothership each night, during the day going on smaller boats to fish rivers/creeks in the Kimberley. Have selected "Australian Waters". My question is, will this still cover us when we get off the vessel on dry land ?
E.g. Medical evac if required ?

Hi there,

Yes you would be covered for medical evacuation if you call our Emergency Assistance team.

Avr

Avrasked

SureSave

I was about to purchase the ultimate cover for a Nepal Trek until I read Louj's review below. I am now seeking alternative quotes. Would you please explain why Sure Save took so long to settle his claim? Are there any hidden clauses that Sure Save uses to deny claims in circumstances described by Louj?

Jack

Any settlement is probably subject to the way the insurance company interprets the policy. As I stated earlier read the 92 pages of the PDS very carefully and think of all possibilities arising from that situation. If necessary obtain clarification in writing from the insurer.

Hi Avr,

Unfortunately this was a case of human error which resulted in the claim being underpaid. The customer alerted us to the error 2 days after the claim was settled, after which the claims officer immediately put in request to have this rectified. The full payment to the customer was processed within 5 working days as it needed to be approved by their supervisor and go through the payment process.

We understand that this is not an ideal situation and apologise sincerely to the customer that they had a negative experience. However please rest assured this was human error and not an issue with the coverage included in the customer's plan.

We hope you have an amazing time in Nepal!

Customer Experience, SureSave

Get an answer from our members and SureSave representatives

Compare all 4 SureSave
CategoryTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel Insurance
UnderwriterXL Insurance Company SEXL Insurance Company SEXL Insurance Company SEXL Insurance Company SE
Maximum Age Covered 111 years old76 years old111 years old76 years old
Medical Coverage
Overseas Emergency Assistance UnlimitedUnlimitedNot CoveredUnlimited
Accidental Death$25,000$10,000$10,000$25,000
Emergency Dental$1,000$1,000Not Included$1,000
Pregnancy (max weeks) 26 weeks26 weeks26 weeks26 weeks
Resumption of Journey $3,000Not IncludedNot Included$3,000
Hospital Cash Allowance$6,000Not IncludedNot Included$6,000
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimitedUnlimitedNot CoveredUnlimited
Loss of Income$2,000Not IncludedNot Included$10,400
Permanent Disability$12,500Not IncludedNot Included$12,500
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash $250$250$250$250
Delayed Luggage $500 for over 12 hours$250 after 12 hours$500 after 12 hours$500 after 12 hours
Credit Card Fraud$2,000$1,000$2,000$250
Travel Documents / Passport $2,000UnlimitedNot Included$2,000
Maximum Single Item Limit $4,000 (Laptops, Notebooks, Tablets, Cameras)$4,000 (Laptops, Notebooks, Tablets, Cameras)$4,000 (Laptops, Notebooks, Tablets, Cameras)$4,000 (laptops, notebooks, tablets, cameras)
Luggage & Personal Effects $12,000$3,000$4,000Included