Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I

Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I (2005-2011)

Sport (2011), LE (2011), Urban (2010-2011), Adventure (2010), 100th Anniversary (2009) and 6 more

See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

I love this car

I love this car so much. We have had it 2nd hand for 4 years now and had no problems. We keep it well maintained and it loves us back. Great for off road camping, great around town, still easy to park, and good up the highway. We got a 4cyl 2L and it also tows a trailer very well. The tow bar we had fitted. Not so comfy for really long distance, but most travel is good. I'm short and I find the vision good. No awkward blind spots

Purchased in August 2015 at Private for $9,500.00.

Year2005

Serious engine problems

At 150,000km the head cracked. Known fault detailed in a US Technical Bulletin (extended warranty in US - not Australia). Repair parts cost $2500. 4,000km later block cracked behind exhaust manifold.

Purchased in July 2010.

BoughtNew
Year2009
Comfort

Good little off-roader or city run-about

This is a real 4WD, thats why I bought it. Its the only small 4 door "real" 4WD available except for the Jeeps which have quality issues. It also handles well around town as its permanent AWD. The 4 speed automatic is basic, but strong & I leave mine on POWER mode for the later gear shifts & improved acceleration. Fuel economy is usually 10.7L/100km in the city but on country trips it can get down to 8L/100km. The higher fuel economy figures reflect the fact that its a real off-roader, weights 1.6 ton, has a truck ladder frame chassis as well as heavy dual range gearing. I do some off-road work & it is very happy on 3 wheels, lose dirt, ruts as the traction control is very good to kick in & provide traction. I have not got it stuck off-road yet. If I was serious about off-road work I would get a 2 inch lift.
I did not choose a larger Landcruiser Prado or Nissan Patrol as the parking for these cars is impossible in the city and diesel maintenance costs are higher, also the driving experience in the city is much more fun with the little Suzuki. For the limited off-road work I do the car is a perfect fit for me. The engine needs to be driven pretty hard to feel any good acceleration but thats standards for a car meant to be in the off-road situation or on snowy icy roads.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Cracked engine block

Owned 2008 Prestige model for 5 years, @ 190 000 km and engine block cracked. Because of GFC in 2008 the alloy used to cast engine block is substandard and becoming well know to crack. Paid $20 000 for Grand Vitara 4-5 years ago, now being offered $500 from wreaker or $8 000 engine replacement.

Date PurchasedSep 2008

Warranty issue.

Power steering started pulsing when steering wheel is turned.Suzuki technician agreed their was a problem. Tried to fix it and couldn't, service manager said nothing they can do. I rang Suzuki NZ and they had another dealer have a look and he said their was a problem. Took it to fix then rang me back that they all do this. I took it to another technician who also confirmed a problem. I have had 2 of this model GV in the past and they didn't have this steering problem. Suzuki NZ don't want to know or help, I think there may be a cover up. Have had a few new Suzuki vehicles over the years but now I will never have another Suzuki.
NZ Suzuki warranty support is very disappointing.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Drive4WD

No competition

It has zero competition..if you want a proper 4wd but don't have a lot to spend you can't beat it.

Mine is heavily modified and I've taken it everywhere, it chews up 4wd tracks and river crossings. It's great around town. Truly an all rounder for the money you spend, you can't beat it.

Slight issues why I've given 4 stars
- paint started to peel inside warranty period and Suzuki refuses to cover it (because I live in Darwin). Soon after my wife got into a bingle and it got repaired on old mates insurance. Now outside of warranty period loads of paint peeling.
- 4 speed auto isn't great on fuel, especially up north with a top speed of 130km
- had a very expensive motor warping / water leaking issue BUT I just did the Gibb and my aftermarket suspension had blown, so I don't really blame Suzuki, nevertheless I doubt a landcruiser would have the same issue.

Date PurchasedDec 2013
Drive4WD

GV problems

Engine light on. Replaced two sensors. No change. Suzuki found oil residue over timing chain etc. Replaced chain, vvt unit, tensioner etc. 200km later, bad overheating. Cracked cylinder head. Replaced and now engine light on again. Suzuki blamed our mechanic for the oil sludge! Top quality oil used. Servicing well within suggested limits. Suzuki Aus not interested in covering timing chain costs. Cylinder head cracking appears common for this motor. Recall in the US. Why not on Aus?

Badge12000
Date PurchasedOct 2010

Love it... Great Family Car

Perfect size to drive in the busy roads with the added advantage of good with Fuel.
We drive the car every day to and from work, picking up kids and as our weekend car.
Plenty of space to fit 2 car seats in the back.
2 car seat comfortable fit. Plenty of leg room in the back.
We love the large boots to fit anything...
Low cost maintains and low cost to run...
Great family car

Date PurchasedApr 2011

Perfect Car For my Needs

My Suzuki GV is the prestige model so it has all the fruit, full leather, sunroof, keyless entry and start etc. It's a great looking car, very reliable, easy to get in & out of, easy to park. It's a bit heavy on fuel for a 2.4 litre motor but I love it, so does everyone who drives it. With 140000 klms on the clock, so far it's proved to be super reliable. I use it as a 4x4 and it'll keep up with the big boys....for a lot less. I've towed a small caravan around Australia, easy as. Returned 12.8 l/100 klms overall. It's a great Car.

Date PurchasedMay 2009

Keep away from Suzuki and their incompetent dealer network

Westpoint Indooroopilly not consitant with servicing cost$138 for oil filter,when asked to check rattle in rear told it was toebar,charged$128 for privlage.3 days latter glow plugs failed,repaired by Bundaberg dealer and informed the rear diff bushes broken repaired under warrenty at 90000kms engine light kept coming up , booked in to Keema Mt Gravatt. Crankshaft broke on way ,informed by SUZUKI new crankshaft 2 conrods would have engine back to new,after 8 weeks the vehicle was driven home only to discover cooling system had not been filled over heating engine as temp sensor was not covered by coolant,sent back on tow truck ,next time coolant hose to back of engine came off ,no clamp installed,next time clutch failure due to hose not clamped on,next time brake failure due to pipe not correctly installed ,next time oil leak due to poorly installed oil seal and sump gasket,next time oil leaks and vechile could not be driven at100kms hr due to severe vibration,informed by SUZUKI tyres out of balance nothing wrong with vechile,next same problems and the engine block was found .to be severly cracked SUZUKI agreed to install new engine Keema was asked to make sure clutch was ok Keema was asked to trade on new vechile offered$3000 a 99%lost in 2yrs After new engine installed dpf fault, loud noise through transmission,taken to Moorooka Suzuki at request of Suzuki,wrong oil installed by Keema and clutch found to be broken should not have been reinstalled Next problems starter motor failure due to only 1 not 3 bolts installed,front drive shafts failure due to only 2 bolts installed,continuing engine faultsleading to engine failure due to inlet manifold not correctlyinstalled 100%LOSS

Date PurchasedDec 2010

Engine failure at 130000km

At 130000km the JB 24 Engine failed, my grand daughter had brought the grand vitara 2008 model, 11months ago and has done 15000km, when the engine started to make rattle noise, she stopped the car turned off ignition waited then tried to start the car again, would not start. Towed to repairer told the Engine had a mechanical failure, not worth pulling engine appart, ordered a second hand motor at cost of $8700 installed.
The Trader "Charles Jansen Cars" "Jansen 4 x4" Moorabbin Victoria Australia.
The trader would not have anything to do with the failure and hung up, very bad, where to now I dont know except that it going to cost $8700.

BadgeGrand Vitara 2008
Date PurchasedFeb 2017

STAY AWAY FROM THIS VEHICLE - ABSOLUTE RUBBISH

I purchased my 2009 GV3 Grand Vitara brand new and for the first 7 years of ownership the car was great - it was reliable, fun to drive, and never missed a beat. Wanting the best run from my vehicle it has always been dealer serviced right on the service schedule, i've had all 4 recalls done, it's never been offroad, and it's always been looked after. BUT...at 108,00kms (November last year) the car started overheating after about 10 mins of driving. The second time this happened I took it back to the dealer who after some testing thought the radiator was blocked - so $900 later I drove out of the dealership with a shiny new radiator and feeling grateful the car was fixed. About 10km's away from the dealership the same issue occurred. As it was a Friday my car sat on the highway for 2 days until I could get it towed back to the dealership. In this time I did a bit of research and found a heap of unhappy Suzuki Customers with JB24 engines (which are in Vitara and Kishashi Vehicles) that had cracked engine blocks at about 100,000kms. Suzuki America have taken responsibility for the issue and are replacing affected vehicles under warranty. I advised the dealer, and lo and behold my engine block was cracked - I contacted Suzuki Australia who didn't want to know about it. The cost of repair was $9800. I didn't have a car for 6 months while I tried to get Suzuki Australia to take some responsibility for the issue, they eventually came back and said the issue was caused by the dealer putting green coolant into the engine at the 45,000km service rather than their blue longlife coolant. Fortunately for me the dealer claimed the repair on their insurance and I got my car back. I've now had the car back for 4 months and it was running great - until I took it in for the gear shift recall. When i picked my car up I noticed a puddle of water had started forming in the back rear passenger floor pan. Took the car to a panel beater and did pressure testing and all the seals passed. Dried the floor pan, and then drove around without my aircon on for three days - the carpet stayed dry. Turned the aircon on and the puddle reappeared. Took the car back to the dealer who have just called and advised the plastic tube that move condensation from the aircon to the base of the car has deteriorated and water is leaking into the floor pan. To fix the issue the whole dash has to be removed at a cost of $1200. The dealer has advised my car is not the only one they've seen with this problem, in fact they've had about 7 vitara's in the last few months for the same thing. So in short STAY AWAY FROM THESE VEHICLES unless you are a mechanic and are prepared to invest time and money into keeping it on the road. i've now spent $4000 on my car in the last 6 months not including the $9800 the dealer covered for the engine replacement. Suzuki Australia don't care about providing support or assistance to their customers or dealer network, instead they look for an easy cop out to push responsibility onto somebody else. I would stay away from Suzuki entirely.

Date PurchasedSep 2009

2005 Grand Vitara

I truly love driving my Grand Vitara.. so easy to drive & park.. windows are great for view.. everyone that gets in it enjoys their ride & are very impressed with it's comfort as well
Can't think of anything I dislike about my Grand Vitara inside or out
I've had my car for 12 years & no trouble with it at all..still looks great & drives very well
I take care of my care with maintenance/services
I feed my Grand Vitara with good fuel & it certainly is very good on fuel
Fantastic car.. would definitely buy another when I can... it was affordable at the time of purchase.. Garry Crick's were great to deal with..

Badge4 cyl 4wd petrol mpfi sv/sq
Date PurchasedMay 2005

2007 GV Prestige

Had vehicle now for just over two years, and can't fault it. It has done over 200,000km's (petrol engine) and although it seems a little down on power for a V6, apparently this is the norm. Original parts are expensive but wreckers in Melbourne have the occasional GV through their workshop.

Use of vehicle is solely for personal use. Depending on the week on how often the vehicle gets used.

Haven't had serviced since I had the rocker cover gaskets replaced. Hasn't clocked up the necessary kilometres.

Purchased in May 2016 at Major Car Sales.

Year2007

A little ripper

We flat tow our Suzuki Grand Vitara behind our Motorhome. She is a 2012 model & looks new. She has a practical easy-to-use transfer case. We have to tow with the reversing camera on as we cant feel her behind. Unhitched, she gets us to some great places. Never had a problem. She is a wiz in 4x4 and is economical. Recently we had a recall on the gear shaft. How thoughtful of Suzuki to think of us all. A company with integrity. Thanks Suzuki.

Purchased in August 2015 at Private .

Year2012

best after service and good 4x4

i had oil leak bue to muster seal in transmission case. i have been 4wd alot and have pumbed few times. but got fixed under warranty with good service also recall on car after finishing warranty is nice service from suziki. nice to see they are doing good after service. never had problems last 5 years. now all most 6 yaers and got recall service.

Date PurchasedSep 2010

best little suv i every had.

drise well.as a big person 186 140k i was very comfy in it. is ex of road cept up with the big suv if not better. ex in snow slush and mud. interior was ok little bit too plastic but the v6 auto made up for that hands down. not too bad on fuel trips 9l/100k town 12l/100k 2tonne towing is very nice too did it well.

Date PurchasedOct 2010

cracked engine block at 90 000 not able to be fixed or replaced poor

so i owned a prestige from new at 90 000 it overheated due to a faulty radiator cap and i stopped straight away, the engine was stuffed. cracked block. same crack same place as a number of other engines no warranty. no car. never buy one. the car drove ok, not great but it was ok. the engine power was a bit under what it needed to be.

Date PurchasedJun 2008

Terrible, expensive mistake. Don't buy the diesel!!!!

I loved this car and had no problems (apart from the expensive services that you can't do yourself) until 150,000kms and then the problems were endless and freaking expensive!!! Terrible for a 5 year old car!

It cost me $6500 in repairs and that is doing it cheap, with second hand parts and hubby doing some of the repairs.

The DPF caused endless dramas. I was quoted $9800 to fix it. I ended up getting the DPF cleaned for about $1200. And that still didn't fix the problems.
Random sensors kept going off and putting it into limp home mode. Everytime i drove it something would happen to it.

The mechanic said the only way to fix it was to keep fixing everything that showed up on the computer.

The problem is, that every time something was fixed the car had to be half dismantled. And the parts are horrendously expensive.

Also, nobody, even the Suzuki mechanics had any idea how to fix it, because there aren't that many of them.

I ended up hating the car, although my mechanic probably hated it more.

Had to sell it cheaply because it was so unreliable.

BadgeJBMY09
Date PurchasedOct 2011

Please do not buy!

It's comfy, nice to drive and that's where it ends.

I'm one of those suckers that have the J24B engine (2.4L petrol). Nice little unit that's prone to head cracking between moulding ports. It's taken me 4.5 years (and way too many mechanics) to figure out why it's been wanting coolant topped up every month.

Basically I have that fault (Can I attach photo's here, I have one of a nice creamy coffee substance on the inside of my oil cap!).

I'm going to raise hell with this one, even though I have a nice new Unbreakable lined up for pick up in a few days, It's called a dump & run!

Date PurchasedApr 2012

I have just purchased a 2013 grand vitara 4x4 Automatic 114,000 klicks, there is a slight whine noise coming from the gear box as I accelerate , more noticeable at low revs, is this normal?
Hard to tell from that description I recommend popping over to auszookers.com and askingThanks, will do

I have a Grand Vitara 2015 model and have noticed the boot doesn't unlock when the drivers door is unlocked. If I want to put something in there I have to make sure doors are closed, lock the car and then unlock it again with a double click. Am I missing something? It has to be easier. Also can you open the boot with the key?
i have the 2013 grand vitara prestige so not sure if it is different but if you want all doors to open you click the button on the handle twice, (or the remote twice) same with the rear door if you click it once it will only open the rear door, if you click it twice it will open all doors :)....no you cant use a key in read door (unless it might be different to your model)

How to remove frozen sump plug on Grand Vitara. Hex flats now rounded due to ring spanner slippage in trying to undo. Any logical alternative to drilling it out?
try using vice gripsvery lightly tap a socket onto it .5mm under the size should fix ya :)

Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I (No Badge) (2005-2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I JLX (2006-2008)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I JX (2006-2008)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Trekker (2006-2008)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Prestige (2006-2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Prestige Trekker (2008)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Adventure (2010)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I 100th Anniversary (2009)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I LE (2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Sport (2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Urban (2010-2011)
CategoryMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVs
Release dateJan 2005Jan 2006Jan 2006Jan 2006Jan 2006Jan 2008Jan 2010Jan 2009Jan 2011Jan 2011Jan 2010
Discontinuation dateDec 2011Dec 2008Dec 2008Dec 2008Dec 2011Dec 2008Dec 2010Dec 2009Dec 2011Dec 2011Dec 2011
Compare all Suzuki Grand Vitara