Tango Electricity

Tango Electricity

No nonsense, no bull****

No qualms here. Tango have been great to deal with, an absolute god send compared to other electricity companies. I wish they offered gas too!
No hesitation in recommending them to family and friends.

Rates and Fees
ServicesElectricity

Recently joined, good so far

Are electricity companies and retailers the work of the devil? Many, including me, would think so. Anyway, we recently switched to Tango Energy. Why?

1 .. Unlike nearly every other power retailer I contacted, the Tango representative actually answered my emailed questions by return email i.e. in writing. And the answers provided were actually relevant to the questions.
2 .. Even taking into account the sign-on bonuses etc of other companies (are you reading this AGL and Powershop) the Tango rates, and consequently our 5 Day TOU electricity bill, were significantly cheaper with Tango compared to the various other retailers.
3 .. The rates are supposedly (see later for why I use supposedly) fixed for 2 years and they provide a signed (by both their representative and myself) 'agreement' stipulating this.
4 .. There is no requirement to sign up for direct-debit.
5 .. There are no early exit fees or conditions.

So why not 5 stars?

In the Tango Energy Market Agreement and Disclosure statements there are the following clauses ..

3.2 Varying the charges
(a) We may vary the Charges at any time by notice to you. The notice may be by a message on
your bill.

Varying prices and charges
The tariff, fees and charges specified in the Electricity Plan may be varied, as outlined in the Market
Agreement Terms, including but not limited to where there is a change in the costs of supplying You
with electricity, or the actual cost is, or becomes, greater than the costs TE estimated they would be.

Event though the Tango representative stated that these are standard just-in-case clauses, I would interpret these as indicating that they could change the 'supposedly' fixed rates.
We'll cross that particular bridge if and when we come to it.

Rates and Fees

Easy to swap. Cheap rates

Swapped from a more expensive competitor on advice of vic govt compare website.
Rates are around 50% cheaper than my old retailers base rates(before their pay on time discount)
I now don’t have to worry about pay on time discounts as tango don’t have them.
Very easy to swap. A simple phone call and it was all done in about 10 mins.
Swap over took approx 15 days from call to connection.
Call centre is Geelong based, so no calls to India either.

ServicesElectricity

Offered reasonable product and pricing but foreign owned :(

I accepted an offer by Tango but backed out in the cooling off period when I realised that they were foreign owned. Asked the sales guy whether they were foreign owned but he either couldn't or didn't answer. Keeping Australians employed is my key priority. They do have head office in Geelong and call centre in Southbank, but there are other energy companies out there that are either fully or mainly Australian owned and I'd prefer to support them!

Bait and hook

Just rang Tango to arrange a switch to them based on an offer from the Victorian govt energy compare website. During the phone call they quoted prices higher than on the comparison web site, then gave a litany of excuses when I objected. Typical shonky sales practice - they won't get any business from me.

Very good and dont need pay on time discounts

Very quick change over and rates updated 1st January stay same no changes for time if use well done and they accepted Bpay and customers service are very good if have any questions.

Connection

Tango have been a pleasure to deal with in getting the connection to my rented unit. They provided regular (but not annoyingly so) text updates and then a last advice well in time. They connected the electricity as promised. One tiny quibble would be that given all this great lead-up, it would have been nice to get a text when the electricity was actually turned on. But that is a minor quibble and doesn’t detract from my high rating of their service

Fabulous deal

Tango energy customer service was brilliant. The team followed up with my installation issues and made sure they were fixed in time.
The rates are straight forward and the best in the market.

Previous companies offered me the so called discounts, but I ended up paying a lot more than I am doing now.

Fantastic pricing, very impressive sales support,

So easy to compare and sign up. Emailed a few bills, got an apples with apples comparison. No mucking around, and an immediate 35% reduction in my bill. I have a 5kw solar system and a smart meter - and absolutley NO issues there. The flat rate charge is much cheaper than my current charge (and would still be cheaper than a dual tariff even if it was available under the wholesale provider) Solar feed in is the same and supply charge (always the kicker) is a little cheaper.
Overall I am in front BIG time!
Sales team know their stuff and absolutely no CRAP - just straight out cheaper rates with no contract.
Oh and did I mention their support for renewables?...I am a fan!

Cheap and simple

Our main reason for switching to Tango was we no longer had to worry about late payments causing the bill to blow out disastrously. Tango offer a simple to understand bill i.e. No huge discounts for early payment: Those huge discounts are really just a late payment penalty... and it's too easy to miss paying a bill because you didn't receive it in the post... or some other reason.

The second benefit we love is that Tango offers 3 monthly billing. We have a small bill and it's always annoying to have to keep remembering to pay the thing each month. 3 monthly is much more convenient.

We've had Tango for a year or so now... and the bill is generally either about the same or slightly less than our old Lumo bill without stressing about discounts.

We're very happy with the unfussed nature of the Tango service.

Tango came recommended to me by several friends... and I'd be happy to recommend it to anybody.

:-)

Straight forward Billing

Straight forward Billing, no discount dramas cheap compare to all others
recommended to friends good one
Straight forward Billing, no discount dramas cheap compare to all others
recommended to friends good one

Concerned about company direction under new CEO.

I signed up to Tango a few months ago thanks to VIC Energy compare, got my first bill and was very happy indeed. Still waiting for my second bill to arrive after this quarter finishes. Purely from a value point of view so far so good.... BUT....

However, I read today that they recently appointed a new CEO in August 2018.
(Factual and Objective #1) This CEO has been in senior executive leadership positions of many other retail utility providers.
(Factual and Objective #2) Most of the companies in question have very poor reputations on Product Review for issues such as rate rises, bill shock and below average customer service.
(Factual and Objective #3) One company in particular with a very poor reputation was founded by this same individual.

It might be worth reading
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/ian-switched-retailers-to-cut-his-power-bill-then-it-soared-55-per-cent-20181106-p50eb6.html and do your own objective research.

Im not writing off Tango yet - which is why I have given them 4 stars - but If you are an existing customer keep a very close eye on your bill and your rates and your customer service experience under this new CEOs watch..... I know I will be....

Early days but pretty happy with a little sadness thrown in

I've been a Red Energy customer since early to mid 2000's and have been very happy. After a recent forced change from gas heating to a split system I was shocked at how much my electricity account went up - far more than my gas bill went down! I'd been planning to take up the Victorian State Governments offer of reviewing my providers in return for $50 but was a bit lazy. My latest bill got me motivated because I thought with summer coming these bills are going to be massive. I went through the process of review and this time my shock was related to how much extra I've been paying. By flipping to Tango my rate has gone down by over 10c a kwh which is significant. A big thank you to the Vic State Governments initiative. I think that once word gets around and people start comparing en-mass a lot of providers are going to get a well needed wake up call. My only sadness is that this company is not Australian owned. Surely an Australian community type group can make a name and a modest profit in the energy space.

Cheapest in the market

I have a smart meter which was lucky because when we moved in we had no power, within 20 mins they had the power on! they are the cheapest in the market by far if the low rates are persistent they will keep me as a customer

CHEAPER PRICES WITHOUT NORMAL REGULAR INCREASES

Have just recently changed over to Tango and I'm very happy. Was previously with AGL who just kept increasing their prices so I decided to shop around and found Tango who are much cheaper AND they have prices locked in for 2 years so no regular price increases like the other companies seem to have! I've received two bills and both are much cheaper than I was paying previously with AGL - estimated savings are at least $200 a year so I'd rather that in my pocket!

Easy, quick and cheap! Highly recommended

Extremely excited Pacific Hydro created a retail company to sign up with, searching and getting prices on the tango website is super easy, mine was jemena. Tango is the CHEAPEST of any and all companies for my network area, even when you consider all the CONFUSING discounts other companies offer, Tango is still on top by far.

Took 8min over the phone to sign up and got my welcome pack 24hours later

Was previously with Red Energy, while a fair supplier, they were hopeless at providing bills, customer service wasn't up to scratch, plus Tango is cheaper than Red Energy, to the extra tune of $150 - $200 a year.

Good rates and prices - but customer service has dropped since recent name/takeover

I joined Pacific Hydro initially and was very happy with their service, prices and locked in rates. During my period of contract the company has been taken over by Tango and I find their customer service lacking. Just trying to find out if my concession card has been added to my account has not received confirmation by email (been waiting a few weeks now) and when I did follow up with a call the guy who answered said "he could not access my details on screen". What's the point of that?

I asked for him to have someone who could access them contact me. He did that but when the person called I missed their call and they just left a number WITH NO REFERENCE NUMBER to call Tango back. What a complete waste of time ... it would mean starting all over again wouldn't it. Useless - get some better processes in place to actually help your customers when they call in please.

Cheap and prices locked for 2 years

They are the cheapest out there and their energy prices are locked for the next 2 years. Best electricity provider out there

Simple to understand energy plans

Tango is one of the few energy retailers who don't try to confuse the consumer with huge discount offers. They just give you the actual base rate plan and its plainly explained on their website. Other companies inflate their base rates, some by an enormous amount and then offer various discount incentives .... the actual cost is not good when the real costs are worked out. I'm in the Ausnet area in Victoria and found Tango's rates to be the cheapest. I have solar and also found Tango does not penalise solar customers by charging them considerably higher rates for the energy they consume from the grid as do the other energy retailers. I was also very grateful to speak to someone in their call centre who spoke good english which I could easily understand. I found the switch very easy and my rates are locked in for a fixed term. I highly recommend this company.

Don't bother signing if on Mornington Peninsula

Would leave a minus rating if I could.
Have tried 3 times to sign up. Once when we had the old meter. No go
Changed over to Smart Meter, no go, new meter was not registered.
Tried today, NO AGAIN because our meter is programmed with the wrong feed in tariff for them, and they won't change it. Told us to go to our current provider to change, but United Energy who is the Major Supplier said the new provider can change the tariff settings when we installed the smart meter.
Advised by Sharma they can change the tariff when we are a customer???? But won't sign us up until we get it changed by our current provider. Double dutch speaking.