The Book Depository

The Book Depository

Disgusting service and failure to refund when order not received

49 emails to get my $101 back for my order. Not 1 book was received. They finally agreed to pay when taken up with PayPal but the money never came.

Store LocationOnline

Great price fast delivery

Recently found a cookbook I'm keen called Thailand the cookbook. They sell it in a boutique home decor shop for $78 here in Adelaide. And I found one on eBay still costing at least $54 including delivery. Then I found one here for $43 including delivery. Best price and arrived within 2 weeks, exactly 8 business days actually. Very pleased with the purchase.

Store LocationBook Depository online store

Do not buy from them.

I ordered 2 books at the start of the year. I received and email advising the books had been returned to BD as they had incorrect address for me. Like other reviews I paid via PayPal who has my correct address on checkout, it was BD who for some reason had printed incorrect address. I received one book and advised I had not received second book. BD advised second book had not been returned to them and they could do not do anything until they had received it back. I questioned them about being mailed on same day, in same parcel? Apparently they mail out separately even though under same order number. I was advised to keep checking with my post office. BD do not use tracking numbers. BD had applied incorrect address and would not take any responsibility. PayPal have refunded my monies as BD did not even respond to their requests for answers. I will never use BD again.

Incorrectly sent to another country - won't refund!

Don't buy from this company!! Somehow the United States was incorrectly added under my address. I checked out using the Paypal checkout and my address was correct. The Book Depository refuse to give me a refund until the books are returned in 5-10 weeks. I believe this is a problem with their system as other people are having the same problem. I have now made a claim through paypal. Don't buy from them. Terrible service!!

Refused to issue me a refund even when they didnt send me my order, at all.

I bought two books for work online, paid it in full, charged my savings card and it was cleared by my bank. Only to be told the same day there was an "issue" with my card details and it was declined...even after it had already been cleared by my bank. I emailed them asking what was going on and they told me that it was my fault for entering my card details incorrectly and that the bank had to void my payment. I told them it had gone through and cleared. To me, this sounds like they won't admit they didnt have these books in stock or they couldn't be bothered checking the status of my payment.

Terrible service, I'm inclined to call them thieves. Now I understand why the reviews are so terrible. This was my first experience with book depository and it will certainly be my last.

Untrustworthy

This company sells books that they do not have in stock, very bad!!
If your require a book in a required time line i do not recommend this company and would look at another online company.

Don't trust when they say 'in stock'

Be very wary of Book Depository if you need your item within a set timeframe.

I ordered an item that was listed as being available in stock in my country and for delivery within two days. Based on the need for the item quickly, I chose Book Depository.

The item sat in my order history as "processing" and I received no further contact. When I initiated contact for an update, I was advised they do not have stock, they have not advised when they anticipate stock arrival and are unable to provide an estimated delivery date.

In Australia, this is false advertising. But they aren't based in Australia and had no Australian contact information to offer when I requested it.

One star because zero isn't an option. But I guess at least they replied to two of my emails, the second of which wasn't even a copy and paste stock standard reply.

If time isn't an issue for your item's arrival, I've had previous orders without this trouble. But I will never order a university textbook or other time critical item from Book Depository EVER again.

Untrustworthy

In the last 2 months I have ordered and paid for 2 books. Both have stated they were in stock and would be shipped within 1-3 business days. Both times I’ve waited and waited with no sign of the delivery. Upon emailing them I then find that they are out of stock of the book and are having trouble sourcing a copy! So misleading to make people pay before telling them they haven’t got the stock. The book Depository used to be really good but they have gone downhill of late. I will use Booktopia from now on.

Bad service

Made an order of 5 books over a month ago. Contacted customer service and they advised me that the order had been dispatched 2 weeks after purchase date and to wait a further week for order to arrive. Again contacted customer service and I was told to go to my local post and seek if it is there. Firstly, I have no idea which ‘local post’ to go to.. there are multiple company’s that post all over Auckland. Secondly, nothing else has been established. They could not provide a tracking number because of the free delivery.. had I known this I would of chosen another option! If there is any.. For all I know this was a waste of money and a scam and I wish I checked the reviews before buying off this site.

Selling Books They Don't Have

As my title says, I bought a book from them on the 25th of Feb and it took me to chase them up a week and a half later to find out what was going on as I never received a dispatch email. They advised that they had issues with their suppliers. Why sell a book you don't have on the shelf is my question.

Terrible.

Every book I have ordered says in stock and available for dispatch. I pay, dont hear anything for ages, then email asking what is going on. Told it is out of stock, delayed and cancelled. Terrible customer service. Dont use. Not worth it

Book Depository Service

Book Depository is a wonderful service. Since discovering it a few years ago I have come to rely on it for quick and accurate service. All items I have ordered have been prompt and delivered safely. I could not fault this service.

I get all of my books from here

Always great prices, delivery is efficient, especially considering it comes from the UK! I have found the sales to have a great selection. They always have the random fantasy book I am hunting for!

The worst customer service I have received.

After an incorrect line on my address that stated UK and not Australia for some bizare reason, i was told I would have to wait 5-10 weeks... yes weeks for them to send me a new book or receive a refund. Every email I received contained.. sorry we can't help or it's not our fault. I work in customer service and they have done very little to serve or even provide any help.

Will not be buying from them again.

Still Waiting

I should have read the reviews before buying through these guys. Ordered my book 2 weeks ago, was assured it would arrive within 5 business days. Same deal as the other people reviewing, i was told to go to my local post office to see if it had arrived, with no luck. I have no idea why they don't use a tracking number system, are we still living in 2006?

Get with it!

Worst customer support

They have very rude and unprofessional support. I tried to communicate with the support multiple times for my order which hasn't arrived for 8 weeks and they just keep throwing the same repeated answer without any help. And they are very rude.

The Book Depository is terrible to deal with

I ordered a book 3rd Jan 2019 as was told it would arrive within 5 working days....still no book. After contacting the Book Depository they told me it had been dispatched and there was a problem with the courier. I contacted the courier and they say there is an issue with the parcel documents so has been returned to the sender. No one wants to deal with or take responsibility for the issue, totally useless.

Terrible service and delivery management

I bought a textbook from book depository and it says delivery from Australia to VIC metro is 1-2 business days. I order on the 14th, now is the 26th. There's now tracking number of the shipment. I e-mailed them and they say I have to call my local postal service and my local postal service also can't tracking my shipment without a tracking number. This is a terrible experience. I will never order from this website again.

You can find cheaper deals

I have been their customer for nearly 2 years. Overall their service is good but they seem to not keep their promises such as dispatching items. Their service is unreliable since they can't deliver what they promise. You can still find cheaper options but consider some delays in your delivery.

Consistently excellent service

I have been using book depository for a number of years and have found them to be excellent. Typically cheaper than other retailers, fast delivery (to Australia) When I had a glitch, customer service were very responsive. My BD experience has been very positive

Ordered books 2 months ago living in South Africa still no delivery. Any ideas?
It is best to email book depository and enquire about where your books are , you need to give them your order details and they will be able to advise if they are on back order , unavailable or on way to you . I’m in Australia and have always received mine quite quickly . Good luck and enjoy your books They are the most dishonest company I have every dealt with. Do peruse it but don't hold your breath you will get your books or your money.

I want to change my log in details. Any ideas?

Does anyone know where the "local sorting centre" is in Sydney. This was the advice provided by the company- I had to contact the "local sorting centre" but no address nor telephone number was provided. Appalling service. Or does anyone have any contact numbers for this company?
Hi - this is the address I have for returns, you will have to argue about it because I just wrapped the books, added stamps and posted - they will ask for tracking details, receipts etc. BookDepository.com Returns Star Track International PO Box 6082 Chullora NSW 1405 Australia but if you ask for the complaint to be escalated to a Manager, that generally worksThank you so very much!!

Similar listings