The Book Depository

The Book Depository

Louise

Louise

They provide no tracking number and keep no record of your parcel, so if it’s lost too bad, so sad.

Their customer service is appalling and the fact they can not track their deliveries is absolutely ridiculous. This puts the consumer in a really tough situation because if their order never comes, nothing can be done about it.
My email communication with them was nothing short of wasteful and I say buyer beware, they couldn’t care less about their customers.

Not in Australia

This website advertises that it ships from Australia and the UK, however, I live in Australia and my book is still being shopping from the UK which will take months. Buy local guys. This place IS NOT in AUSTRALIA!

Kathleen

KathleenPerth, Western Australia

Not even 1 star

I accidentally put the wrong address on my order and when I contacted them they say there's nothing they can do because its already been dispatched but I had told them two days before they sent it and gave them the correct address. Its been 3 months now and I'm still waiting for my books. I guess I can kiss the $60 I spent on them goodbye because they sent it to my exes house and he has most likely binned them worst still I need them for my tafe. Not happy. I've contacted them twice now and they have no interest in helping me at all. Do not buy from them.

Rip off

I ordered two books. Heard nothing for over a month. I'm in Australia and ordered in Australian dollars. Entered an Australian address for some reason there site entered new Zealand as a country. And they sent the books to an obvious non existant address and refused to return my money. If any checking at all was done they would find the address doesnt exist in New Zealand. How can you justify keeping peoples money. Disgusting.

Rebecca

Rebecca Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Don't bother pre-ordering a book..go somewhere else as this company is running a scam!

Simon

Simon

I’m done

Book Depository has really gone off the boil. My last two orders have been mucked up, when they picked the wrong item. There are no apologies from customer service, instead I’m just told that they can’t send me the correct item, and if I post the incorrect item back I’ll get a refund. I’m really disappointed as the service used to be good. I will not be shopping with them again.

stephen

stephenadelaide

Massive downward slide in 'customer service' (even at the 'higher' levels)!

Justin

JustinSydney, NSW

They make a mistake - you suffer by paying more for the book

Very fast and free delivery! I’ll definitely reorder in the near future. Highly highly recommend! Thank you Book Depository x

Troy

Troy

Avoid at all costs. They do not deliver!

Ordered a book on 23 Feb which was listed as "Available. Dispatched from Australia in 2 business days". 11 days later, still "Processing". Online support is absolutely useless with canned responses. The book is still listed as "Available. Dispatched from Australia in 2 business days", yet they say they don't know when they can get it. False advertising.

tungsten

tungstenSydney, NSW

Return Charges

Ordered a book via Amazon Australia. When it arrived it was in Arabic not English.
The advertisement was in English the book stated English.

Amazon/Book Depository will accept return at my cost for their mistake.

My advice deal direct with the book store that looks after customers, like Fshpond, Dymocks, etc!

Suzie W

Suzie WSydney, NSW

No problems

I ordered an expensive book and was made aware that it would take longer to deliver due to COVID. After the due date passed I wrote to ask where was the book. They immediately responded, had me check the delivery address ( across the world,) and then offered me options, including money back. No question. Fortunately the book turned up that very day

believable and pretty cheap website. deliveries dont take too long

So far i ordered from the book depository 7 books + 3 books set. the delivery always take betweem week-1 month to reach me (Israel). most of the books arrive in a perfect condition. the last book I ordered arrived pretty damaged - wrinkled like it got wet and then got dry. I wrote to their team about that, and got a reply in a few days, asking me to send photos of the damaged book, and after that they refunded me the full price (told me that normally they would send a new one, but due to deliveries issues they just refunded me). in my opinion they handled the situation good enough, and I sure will order from them again.

Kat M

Kat MSydney, NSW

Appalling. Take your money and don’t deliver

I ordered a book in mid January. The website said that delivery would be 2-5 days. I heard nothing from Book Depository about dispatch and when I contacted them they didn’t even have the book and said they were still trying to source it. Heard nothing after two more weeks and had to contact them again to get an update. Still nothing. Terrible customer service and no delivery of goods. Don’t advertise what you can’t deliver.

Vegan girl

Vegan girlGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Dispatched in 3days? Still hasn’t been dispatched after 11days!!

First time buyer. The book should be dispatched in 3days from Australia warehouse, but after 11days since I purchased, they haven’t sent it to me yet. I’ve been following them to find out what’s going on but kept on saying that they were still liaising with the supplier, not guarantee when I could get my book! They offered me if I wanted to cancel my order.. really? Do they want me to cancel it all this time after waiting? Is this the only thing they could do? I’m upset because they put fake/scam ad on their website about the dispatch days and of course customers would believe it. Don’t lie!!!!!

Horrible customer service

Refused to change shipping address on order after this changed and Amazon account was only half updated when order was placed. Fair enough they aren't responsible for a mistake on my end, but I asked them to give me the details of the courier they hired. I was brushed off, and they have refused to give me the information I need to contact Australia Post (presumably) and fix the issue. They then told me that if I wanted the book to be rerouted I would have to wait until the book reached the wrong address, and then see if someone else takes it for 5 weeks, after which it will be sent back across the world to England and then sent to me...

Book Depository overcharges at checkout

I purchased Before the Coffee Gets Cold. Advertised price is A$14.84. Price I was charged was A$18.10. When asked, I was told firstly that I had purchased in a different currency and when I said that was not true, I was told that prices fluctuate at checkout. This is clearly an overcharge and Book Depository has refused to deal with it as such.

The price on their website is still A$14.84.

debbie

debbieSydney, NSW

I hate being told once I’ve purchased that there is a lengthy delay. This is not honest nor decent

I ordered a book. I was told the delivery was free.After the purchase was made I was told in addition to the unmentioned 16 days to dispatch there would be another 10 - 15 days delay in delivery.

jeff85

jeff85Hunter Region, NSW

The old book depository is dead

I used to buy books from here. They were cheap, I could get books for about half the price that I could get in a local store. My order would arrive usually within one to two weeks, the quickest was five days. Now however the word is that the book depository has been bought out by their competition; Amazon.

Now the books are expensive and have long shipping times.

I can get books from Amazon quicker and usually cheaper than the book depository, however not as cheap as originally from a the book depository.

Anyway I suggest doing a search relating to Amazon now owning the book depository to find out about how this affects your purchase.

Damaged items - Offered a 30% refund

My book arrived in unacceptable packaging and thus suffered significant damage to the front, spine and back and when asked for a refund / new product they responded with 'Is a 30% discount acceptable.' For ** sake - if I wanted to buy a book at 70% the cost I'd buy a second hand one in better quality.