The Book Depository

The Book Depository

Bhoomi L.

Bhoomi L.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Disappointing Service

Website says the product will be delivered in 5-8 business days however it has been almost 3 weeks and no sign of the book. The lack of tracking number makes it even harder.
I rather pay for shipping and be certain that my order will arrive.

Hopelessly waiting (18 days now) WITHOUT a tracking number to check

18 days waiting for the package so far and haven't got it yet.
Free shipping. So don't expect much from it? Even expect to receive the books you purchased? It's ridiculous and disappointing for an Amazon owned company to ship this slow. I would suggest that you go to different services and pay for the shipping fee. Then you won't have to wait hopelessly without a tracking number to check where the package is. Disappointing.

Not so friendly service

Purchased a book arrived damaged. Took them 4 days to respond to the email then they offer me a 20% refund...really doesn't encourage you to buy from them again..especially when amazon have a far better refund system

Pronto

ProntoRed Hill 2603, ACT

Shop elsewhere online

I bought a book, The Great Hedge of India, from BD. It arrived but every page of its 231 pages had a few words missing at the end of lines 2 and 3. This made for difficult reading. I complained, explaining the problem clearly, and they sent a replacement copy - with exactly the same problem! Did not bother to even check the replacement copy. Paid good money, same problem, complaint ignored. Thanks a lot, BD. Not my favourite book supplier.

When they get it wrong, expect no cooperation

I had previously ordered 10 books over a couple of years with no issue other than longish delivery times. This time I therefore gave 3 weeks for delivery clicked on my preferred home address, checked it and waited. After 2 weeks I contacted The Book Depository, only to find my book had been shipped with no other postal address than my suburb. I pointed out to customer service the error could not be mine, as I'd clicked on preferred address. They told me that I should visit my local Australia Post Centre, who informed the book would have been returned to sender. Customer Service will currently not refund my card, and are not replying to my emails.

Luke F.

Luke F.South East Queensland, QLD

Bought 5 books through Book Depository, slow shipping, but cheapest prices, and free shipping.

I bought a set of 3 comic books, and 2 textbooks over the past 5 years through book depository. Shipping is slow, but all delivery in Australia has been awful for me, I receive packages on time around 40% of the time. The comics books were the cheapest I could find online and in store, the textbook was cheaper than it was at my university bookstore, so I'm very happy with everything.

I've had no issues with them so far other than slow shipping, but I've paid Australian stores for 'fast' shipping, and Book Depository books arrive in a similar timeframe.

Great business.

Bought over 10 books from these guys to be imported to Australia and never had an issue. Products arrive quicker than ordering from the Australian suppliers. Would highly recommend, thanks for great service!

Barron's Italian-English Dictionary--Poor durability

While I have been satisfied with the layout and content of Barron's Italian-English dictionary, its durability has been quite unsatisfactory. After six months of at most moderate home use, the plastic spine has ripped from the bottom to half way up one side. I doubt the volume will hold together much longer in any decent shape. Very disappointing in a book that will be referred to frequently. BD have declined to replace the item, because the 30-day warranty period has expired. Steer clear of this dictionary and try something else.

Sent defective product, refusing refund, no resolution

BD sent me a misprinted and defective book. Initially offered me only 20% refund rather than complete refund. Provided me with no cover for return shipping costs. Required persistence on my part until eventually received my book refund, but no effort has been made to refund expensive return shipping. Resolutions team refuse to deal with this, provide vague responses and have now fobbed me off to a different service. Will never use BD again.

Terrible experience

Terrible experienceSouth East Queensland, QLD

Delivered 2 weeks after Xmas & not fit for purpose

The Dr Suess books ordered for Xmas 2019 arrived 2 weeks late & the font is too small to read easily - terrible for children. Their cancellation form wouldn’t work. Very disappointing.

BEWARE HIDDEN FEES

Regular and loyal customer over the past 10 years with no problems. Ordered 3 books recently and upon inspection of credit card bill, suddenly notice 'international fees' totalling almost $50... (ordered through Paypal) no mention of hidden or extra costs on website. I will not be purchasing from book depository anymore and am very disappointed. Wish I had read some of the reviews as I've now noticed that others have experienced this. Time to find a new online bookshop who are honest and treat customers properly.

Ash Giri

Ash GiriSydney, NSW

Used to be good now very poor service

Ordered a preorder book which never came even after the release date. In contacting book depository was told they were having difficulty sourcing the book. I followed up as I had not heard from them to be told that the publisher had decided not to release the book at this stage which was shocking as the book is available in most book shops in the city.

What a poor dodgy way to treat your customers. Won’t be ordering from them again. Had been with them for sometime but after this I am not going to use them if they resort to such ways.

Katrina

KatrinaMid North Coast, NSW

Dishonest & terrible customer service

Donna

DonnaSouth East Queensland, QLD

The service from Book Depository was impeccable

I ordered a book which didn’t arrive by the time I expected it.
I emailed Book Depository. I received an answer very promptly. I did not expect they would send a replacement immediately but they did. This arrived in a few days.
When the original copy arrived I asked if I should do a return to sender to the Sydney address on label. They graciously said i could keep it.
Every email was answered so promptly, so courteously and in a friendly manner. I cannot recommend The Book Depository highly enough.

Book still hasn't arrived

I ordered a book in early December, using their estimated arrivals the book was due to arrive in plenty of time for a Christmas present. It is now January 22nd and still no sign of it and the tracking they have is terrible, all you can see is that it has been dispatched.

Find out how The Book Depository compares to other Online Shops

Delivery times are not acceptable

I ordered books at the end of Nov 2019 for Xmas presents. It is now mid-January 2020 and the books have not arrived nor the replacement order that I was promised.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!

my books never came after nearly 2 months of waiting. I emailed book depository countless times in regards to my order and they emailed back saying they sent a replacement copy. After so many weeks waiting for my replacement I have requested a refund. Lets hope they give me that because that was a complete waste of time, energy and money! Please don’t use this website, you’re better off finding a reliable and professional company to order from.

Alison

AlisonMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

6 weeks post ordering and still hasn't arrived

I ordered a book on 2 December and expected it by 17 December. It didn't arrive and I contacted them. They supposedly sent another one but it hasn't arrived either.

Brendon

BrendonPerth, WA

Horrendous

Order was placed through Amazon on 17 December. Order was due to arrive on 8 January. When checking the order status, the book hasn’t even been shipped. I wish I had of checked the reviews first!

TMarshall

TMarshallSydney Surrounds, NSW

Unacceptable delivery time

3 weeks to receive book shipped from Australia to Australia! Was meant to be an xmas gift but didn’t arrive in time so had to buy something else. Should have purchased from local store instead. Will never return to Book Depositary