wiseman3

wiseman3Central West, NSW

pretends to be super smart long term advice, but risky small cap stocks

I have been in the finance industry for 40 years. MF quotes sound long term advice you cant argue with , but use small risky stocks with low market cap and pushes their followers to buy them , creating performance.
this strategy works until it doesn't then the house of cards revealed.
If you don't have the knowledge to invest yourself, use a fund manager or ETF.

Will Fish

Will FishSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Tried a few of their services . . . BUT

Geelong

GeelongQueensland

Do not sign up. No new tips. Older tips are now tanking! Just trying to help your save you money based on my experience.

Open book, take it as you will...
As of today, 18th March 2020, out of 5 shares I purchased based on Motley fool Pro (albeit there is a bit more a a drop due to Coronavirus today but all were performing poorly prior):
TGA thorn group - down -97.6%
ADA Adacel - down 82.05%
RBL Redbubble - down 64%
VOC Vocus - down 31.85%
BAL? Bellamy - luckily there was a buy out and made a little money but prior to this they were also tanking due to restrictions from Seling in China.

Brian

BrianSydney, NSW

Pushing 'just a flu'

The company has pushed the message that coronavirus is just a flu with the founder and one advisor spreading tweeting videos minimising the threat. You can only imagine how this has resulted in bad advice for investors, such as making Webjet a best buy now in February 2020 : https://arichlife.com.au/asx-share-prices-could-fall-much-further-yet/

urbandesignerSouth East Queensland, QLD

Too many emails - trust your own advice!

urbandesigner

Thanks for the tip! :/ I did that after typing my above comment.

suzSydney, NSW

Articles are easy to read

I've signed up, cancelled and then signed up again. I like their recommendations but it's their articles and easy style of reading that I most enjoy. To be honest when companies results come out I like to google Motley fool to see if anyone has written about it as I understand more what they are saying. The only comment I would make is the emails with the cheap sale for 1 day only etc. Its kind of annoying to get an email everyday and starts to feel a bit like nonsense after a while

Giuseppe

Foolish advice - but it made me money

I have been a member of Motley Fool PRO for 6 years since its inception. Over this period, I have made a 263% return, against an ASX benchmark of 49%. (data from my end of Jan reports to remove recent market chaos)

I have always got a call back from the support team within 3 days and they are happy to resolve any issues.

If you want to try it for free, just listen to their podcast. Its full of tips and their mandatory disclosures which tell you what companies they own or are recommending as well.

At the end of the day, let the results speak for themselves.

Anne OGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Rip Off - Took my money - refused to provide login or communicate.

I paid for a subscription, they immediately took my money but I couldn't use the service as they provided no way to login or to obtain password. They refused to return messages or calls. Highly unethical. Utter time wasting and false advertising.

Patrick

PatrickGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

You Would be a Fool to use them

I have kept a track record of all the Equity/Share recommendations made by the Share research firms out there and I would have to say Motley Fool comes in right at the bottom they are as bad as stockbrokers who just churn out buy and sell recommendations to encourage clients to buy and sell stocks to make more commisions for the stockbroker.

If you dont believe me just sign up for free for a month copy all their Equity recommedations and when they say those recommendations supposedly will turn profitable and you will see what I am talking about.

Dont invest on any of their recommednations until you have seen the underperformance of their past recommendations you will be shocked.

Only a Fool would listen to their advice

LYERS ,

promised a list of 5 stocks to invest in , they give the 5 best performers at present .

thats lying . They want 30 words on this comment as well , THERES THIRTY

jakegraham91

jakegraham91South-Eastern Region, NSW

I WAS FOOLED

Motley fool is deceptive. Claiming a subscription to there advice at a cheap price but once you have paid there is no advice. What you get is more enticing ads to purchase more expensive subscriptions to information I have already paid for. I wonder if I pay that will there actually be any advice or just more requests for more money. They got me. I was a fool.

Peter

Peter

Sleazy and aggressive marketing campaign to get people to sign up

I was thinking of signing up top Motley Fool.

I have now decided i would not touch it with a 10ft pole.

Every time i switch on a computer or smart device i am now confronted with a very aggressive advertising campaign.

It is absolutely ridiculous how many times i have seen it in the last 2 days.

On my mobile device, personal computer and email.

Straight away it made your business feel sleazy and untrustworthy.

Fooled

FooledGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Don't be fooled

Erin B.The Motley Fool

Excellent services for finding the winners of tomorrow

Lianne E.The Motley Fool

Hi Karmast, Thank you for your comments, we're delighted to hear that you are enjoying your time as a fellow Fool and we're excited to be a part of your investing journey. We wish you continued success for many years come. Fool On!

Sydneyrunner

SydneyrunnerSydney, NSW

Life-changing investment service

operakat1945Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Good marketing and a great help when starting to invest in Shares.

Overall the fool is a well run company although they overdo the marketing, beware that if you sign up your account is automatically renewed without a notice being sent, which is strange given the amount of mail with offers sent on a daily basis!

operakat1945

Thanks for the information, but you did not send a reminder to me at both times you renewed the service, but good too see you have changed your ways.

Tony

TonyGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great at times

Joel M

Joel M

Spammers

Motley Fool go about their marketing techniques and communications very aggressively. If you don't want to be spammed half a dozen times a day, avoid giving them your details. Not impressed.

Gazza

GazzaBrooms Head

Good for beginners!

I was a member of the Motley fool about 6 years ago and learnt a lot from them. Now I do my own research and make my own stock selections and so far going ok.

Lianne E.The Motley Fool

Thanks for your comments, Gazza. We're delighted that you enjoyed your time as a fellow Fool and wish you much success with your future investing!

Totally Disappointing

Signed up for a two year subscription. It is so bad, four months into the first year, I tried to cancelled the second year only and was told I could not.
For those that can read this, I hope you take my advice and try another site or at least only sign up for the one year.

changer
changer

The problem is the continuous offers for additional subscribtions just keeping and it almost always past this 30 days grace period. Just like this reply to me from two months ago. This site is not professional at all.

Stephen W

Stephen Wasked

!/ A lot of people are opting out because of " the subscribing catch ". Is there an alternative to this trap.
2/ What do I get from Fool compared to Pro? Why should I invest in either.
I must say you have bad feed back, with refunds.. etc
Stephen

Hi Stephen,
I'm not sure what you mean re "the subscribing catch"? If you are referring to the automatic renewal, yes this is included as part of the sign up process.
We do however cancel this at the member's request. It's simply a matter of sending an email to MemberSupportAU@fool.com.au once registration has been received.
I hope this helps.

Stephen W

Stephen Wasked

I am looking to invest in your services, but I am confused as I can get recommendations for $99.00 and also $2000.00. Why would I pay $2k...Stephen W

Giuseppe

Hi. I'm a member, I don't work at Fool. Best to call them up and discuss the options. Some services are a basic email and others give very specific advice. All have different risk profiles. Give them a call and they can help you out.

suz

I dont work for them either but I have paid 2 subscriptions one for basic best buy and another I paid extra called extreme opportunities for people who dont mind risk. This is by someone else who finds their small or mid caps that people might not have heard of. I know there is also another one that Ed does that's focused on dividends so depends what your focused on or if you want them all etc

urbandesigner

I certainly wouldn’t pay that. I’d invest that $2K in a low cost index fund.

HGR M.asked

Hi,
Very disappointed to read the negative views in this forum. 1.9 is really an absurdly bad rating! I use the MF in the US and would have liked to sign up for services on the ASX, but not after reading the reviews. I agree with the comments on the massive bombardment of unwanted extra services (mutiple times a day) You may want to consider softening some of your aggressive behaviour and repairing your poor customer service in a world where independent reviews are your potential new customers number #1 source for sorting the facts out. Till next year, Rob

G'day Rob.

We agree. We don't think 1.9 is even close to reasonable, given we're soundly beating the benchmark with almost all of our services. Our best guess is that this site might attract an unusually large proportion of disaffected current- and former-members, who have an axe to grind, or who have bought only a small portion of our recommendations and lost money.

Given some of our services cost less than a cup of coffee a week, and most are soundly beating the market, we're not sure that 1.9 reasonably represents either the quality or value for money of our services. Now, of course, anyone is allowed to post a review here, and we're at the mercy of those opinions to some degree. We hope readers will make their own judgements about services that are mostly benchmark-beating and are (we think) exceptional value for money.

You are, of course, welcome to your view on our marketing approach. You might even be right. On the flip-side, we have many thousands of customers who belong to our services. It might be a case of horses for courses. In a perfect world, we'd love to be able to say 'join a market-beating service for less than $200 for 12 months' and have people beat down our door (we note some fund managers charge more than 1% of assets for middling to sub-par performance), but we're competing for our potential members' attention. Now, that's our problem, not yours, of course, but we wanted to explain why we've found our strategy to be the most effective one of all that we've tried (thus far).

Thanks for taking the time to provide your thoughts, we appreciate it.

HGR M.

Thanks Erin for your excellent reply. I understand agree with you on most points. There are many platform tools available that would allow existing customers to select the amount of advertising they receive. Based on you reply I am going to reseach your offerings and give one a try this week. Thanks again, Rob

Erin B.The Motley Fool

That's great Rob - I'm pleased I was able to assist. If you have any questions with our products please contact the team at MemberSupportAU@fool.com.au.

Get an answer from our members and The Motley Fool representatives