Toyota Echo XP

Toyota Echo XP (1999-2005)

See the Best Hatchbacks in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Toyota

• Comfort
  • Features
Leslie
Leslie Sydney, NSW

Toyota echo 1.5lts, 5 door sedan bought 2nd in 2006.

after having for 17 yrs, still car runs same as new, till now, done 16500kms, no major fault, only normal maintenance, consume 660kms, for full tank petrol of 35 to 40 Australian dollars, cheaper than EV cars, save 8000 dollars on petrol and new Hybrid for 10 yrs, then cost your pocket 10,000 dollars, to change batteries.

Purchased in April 2006 at parramatta car dealer for $18,500.00.

Working mum
Working mumSouth East Queensland, QLD

Adore my 16 year old ‘Gertie’

Purchased in April 2004 for $190,000.00.

suen
suenSydney, NSW

Fantastic car. Great option if buying one secondhand

Brilliant little car. Nothing has gone wrong with it except the battery running out a few times (my fault). Easy to use and park as it's small but it's got enough room inside for me to regularly cart large items around (or comfortably transport other adults in the back seat).Comfy and well designed. Cheap to run and maintain. A zippy little car. The paint is deteriorating though - not sure if this is usual for a car of its age. Barely any maintenance required though. I would buy another Toyota based on my experience with this one.

Date PurchasedMay 2006

Mraksp
MrakspMelbourne

best car

Economical 1.2L petrol engine still pulling 6-7L per 100km for it's age! Cheap to maintain if regularly serviced $120-$140, in 7 years of owning the car it had 1 new battery, 1 set of spark plugs and 4 new tires as major expense, considering yearly 10-15000 Km predominantly city driving is not too bad.....@ 280,000 km its still going strong. My local mechanic isn't surprised and tells me its a "Toyota after all." The down side is the paint is chipping off and would probably deteriorate as my car is not garaged....

BadgeRush
Date PurchasedDec 2012
oMi
oMi

Bang for your Buck.

Got this car for @2,500 when I moved to Melbourne. Just had to change the timing belt after driving 20,000km. That's it. Now the car has 200,000Km on it but still not a noise from a car. Best $2,500 spent!. I would really recommend if you are on a budget.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
deus_zeusSydney, NSW

Excellent value for money, with amazing reliability

Date PurchasedFeb 2004
Josh
JoshSydney

The best car for new drivers

It's amazing how good it is when taking its running cost in concentration.
The 1.5-litre engine gave adequate performance.
I have driven it between Sydney and Melbourne three times and It cost me less than 65$ for the fuel in each (850 km) trip. I have driven it between Sydney and Melbourne three times and It cost me less than 65$ for the fuel in each (850 km) trip.

BodySedan
Date PurchasedDec 2016
gregoryman
gregorymansydney

Economical and Practical

Thats toyota value car ! I bought this car as second hand and found out that car is one of the best and reliable car comparing other brands and cars in the same segments. This car is perfect for day to day use , for shopping for , city driving as it is very easy to park.

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Jordan.D
Jordan.DSydney Surrounds, NSW

Good car, particularly as a first car. Gets you from A to B. 17 years and still working well.

I love my echo, it is reliable and has low running costs. She is 17 years old and still in great working condition, so the quality is good. I would recommend an Echo, particularly as a person's first car. The only problem I've found driving an Echo is that the steering is quite heavy, except I'm used to it now so not a big issue.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Find out how Toyota Echo XP compares to other Hatchbacks

This is the perfect car if I could Marry it I would!!

Picked up my 2001 Toyota Echo two weeks and two days ago. It was the filthiest neglected car I've seen in my life. Thus far has been 18 hours and 15 minutes detailing it. Just checked my first tank of gas manual transmission I got 44 miles per gallon. I am excited this car is fantastic. It has 214,000 miles and runs like brand-new I'm extremely excited. It handles quite well. It drives fantastic. I feel this is about the best car on the planet. I have the rare seafoam metallic blue color it's gorgeous. I plan to keep her over 500,000 miles and then some.

Body5000
Date PurchasedJune 2017
Wii
WiiBrisbane

Still working well

I got a used 2001 Toyota Echo 5 years ago. Automatic 1.3 L 5 doors hatchback. Very old car but still works extremely well. Minor issues over the years but nothing major. It is a very small car so it's very easy to park. Excellent for driving around the city. Highly recommended!

Date PurchasedDec 2012

17 years and no issues

Bought dealer demo 1999 and now in 2017 still going strong. 250k Ahead of its time in design, reliable and very easy to drive. Fuel consumption is 4.8 l/100. Reco fuel pump (DIY + youtube), coils and that is it. Large boot, plenty of headroom (i'm 6') and leg room. Now driven by son and replaced by Nissan Tiida which is good but still prefer the echo around town

BodySedan
Date PurchasedNov 1999

The best small car this side of the new millennium

Easy to drive, easier to park, very fuel efficient, extremely powerful 1.3 engine, ultra reliable & all round cheap to maintain 5 ⛤⛤⛤⛤⛤
I used my echo as a courier car _ thats correct - a delivery vehichle & i can assure anyone interested in a small reliable car - the toyota echo is the best! I clicked up 455,000 kms & only changed a clutch around the 280,000km mark, this car does not miss a beat! This car is still driving on a daily basis & still reliable as ever, has got a few battle scars on body but hey @ around the 600,000km indicated on speedo, she deserves a worthwhile mention, 2 thumbs up toyota - oh what a feeling!

Date PurchasedNov 2004
ianandori

BOUGHT DIRT CHEAP ADDED SENSIBLE UPGRADES !!

I got my standard, 2 door, 2000 Echo two years ago from the original owner with a ridonkulous 26,000 kilometres

Date PurchasedOct 2014

Other Hatchbacks

My second Echo. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Read more reviews - page 2

Jerry Perczyk
Jerry Perczykasked

I have a 2002 Toyota Echo with 635,000 kms on the original engine and still going strong. Car has been serviced religiously every 10,000 kms. Oil consumption is now excessive with 5LTR top-up every 10,000 kms. Am running a 15W-50 engine oil. Any recommendations on how to reduce oil consumption ?

Chad
Chadasked

On Toyota echo 2003 when last fuel bar flashing how many ks do I have remaining?

deus_zeus

You would need to check the owners manual for that answer which I no longer have since selling the car.
It also depends whether you're doing highway or urban driving.
As a safe guesstimate, you should easily get another 20 kms (likely a lot more than that, but not worth the risk)

Kay
Kayasked

I love my 2 door echo auto 2000 but for one thing. Every time I start her from a cold start she creeps even if I press hard on the excellerater she just creeps along and then all of a sudden she will take of. I am afraid to cross the busy intersection when I leave work and as she has been left all day she creeps across the rd with on coming traffic heading straight towards me and no amount of pressure will get her to move faster. All my friends at work just get into there cars and here am I left idling my car before heading off. I love her she is wonderful a part from this dangerous this habbit. Does anyone know why she is doing this? Thanks for any help!

sonik
sonik

warm up your car perhaps?

forbes
forbes

Hey there sounds like the issue i was having very easy to fix. Grab some mass air flow cleaner from canadian tire, for like 8 bucks and clean your mass air flow sensor very easy took me like 20 min car runs like brand new! heres a video link on you tube.

candidatuo
candidatuo

I have one as well and it does the same thing.
I read somewhere (if not in the car maintenance book) that it does not shift from 3 rd to 4 th gear until the engine is warm.
I guess this is just a safety measure so the gearbox doesn't run on cold.
So don't worry, just be a bit patient.

See all Toyota Echo XP (1999-2005) questions

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives

CategoryHatchbacks and Sedans