MK5.II 6R, MK5.I 6R, MK4 9N, AW
See the Best Hatchbacks in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Volkswagen? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Braking
  • Comfort
  • Features
Dave
DaveGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

What a lemon and awful servicing!!!

We bought the car brandnew in 2013. Regularly maintained, low kms.
Suddenly had a transmission issue (won’t reverse out of garage) beginning of lockdown in March. Towed to VW Gateway.
Cost just under 3k. Then driven less than 5x around the area as it is still lockdown. BROKE AGAIN!!! And now it’s a gearbox issue? Would cost another 3k or so??!!!
And of course both Gateway & VW are saying it’s not related to the fix they did.
Thank you, VW. NEVER AGAIN. Avoid at all cost, people.
We have always driven Audis, i thought it would be a similar build and servicing. Not at all.

Purchased in May 2013 at Kevin Dennis VW for $24,000.00.

mystyle
mystyle

Osborne park Volkswagen horrible

My EPC light came 5 times in 1 year time
They charged me everytime for the same issue
Emailed Volkswagen complaints department and they haven't called me back and i will take this matter to ACCC

Purchased in January 2014 for $10,500.00.

Ath
AthGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Maintained it very well only to have expensive problems after problems.

Problem after problem, bought it second hand on low ks, couple months later the car has transmission issues cost me $2500 to fix then had to change the timing belt it drove well for a while then started having engine leaks that weren’t fixable took it to good mechanics and they didn’t know why, then my transmission fails again and they said it costs $3000 to fix I can’t even drive it also this car has a recall for the gearbox issues. Never buy a Volkswagen unless you want headaches.

and13
and13

Expensive servicing

Servicing is extremely expensive and I’d consider another brand of car based on this alone. Although the stereo and especially CarPlay isn’t reliable it’s about the only issue I’ve had At 15,000 km. Very good on fuel even if you have to buy premium. Car looks great and drives well.

BoughtNew
Year2019
Ben
BenGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great buzz box

After adding roof racks it's a beast. Seriously, it's a tardis!
We use our polo for work and play. Seats 5 rugby players, acts as a station wagon for storage, burns through the Twisties even as a diesel. But.....
Issues with the coffee cup holder, it is broke plain and simple. Servicing is expensive, vw well duh. Headlight replacement is a mechanics job and requires battery box or air box removal.
Airbag and dodgy vs shenanigans aside......
Want to love it, don't, but I really really really like it.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
swampgal
swampgal

Couldn't be happier or safer

Purchased in November 2018.

NuggetSydney, NSW

A Very Good Small Car

Purchased in February 2018.

Snowy
SnowySouth East Queensland, QLD

Bought a lemon

Purchased in September 2012 for $26,000.00.

cliff
cliffSouth East Queensland, QLD

great car

great handling, fuel economy and overall quality. Highly recommend to everyone. Drive the car everyday to work and weekends. Great sound system. I am a older driver and have had many cars in my life. Best car i have owned. Not the fastest car around but I gets you there in style. You want a race car go to the race track.

Purchased in November 2016 at Southport vw for $19,000.00.

Kerrie Mee
Kerrie Mee

Love my Polo

This is a power, fast, compact car. So easy to park, but heaps of space inside. It is quiet to run, very economical on fuel and only serviced once a year. I have had no trouble with my Polo and any queries / problems have been addressed immediately by the service centre. Highly recommend the VW Polo and the VW brand

Badge66TSI Trendline
TransmissionAutomatic
Date PurchasedAug 2015
Brad
BradSale

Powerful Little Hatch

I bought this Polo at the start of 2017. Auto, comfortline Polo, and I was very surprised about the power and noise that comes out of this car. Quick off the line and low on fuel consumption. It has adaptive cruise control so the car basically drives itself on the highways. Would highly recommend

TransmissionAutomatic
Date PurchasedJan 2017
Annie
AnnieMelbourne

Great car

Purchased a new Comfortline Polo in October 2018 this year. Traded our 2014 Golf R wanting something more economical and less of a headache cost wise to service. I was a bit dubious at first but for a little car it has a bit of punch and we got it in the manual which makes it fun to drive. Easy to park, responsive, nice interior, doesn't seem as cramped as the older Polo generation/shapes and easy on the pocket. Overall happy with our purchase.

TransmissionManual
Engine Size1L
Doors5
Date PurchasedOct 2018
RMF
RMFSouth East Queensland, QLD

VW Polo cosmetically great, mechanically poor.

ConsumerOz
ConsumerOz

Great car

Brilliant little go-cart.
Perfect for running around town but also super comfortable for long trips. Easiest thing to park. Great "go". Lots of fun. Responsive steering. Nothing went wrong mechanically in 6 years after which we updated to new model.
Loads of space. Huge boot - couldn't believe how much we could get in the boot. Deceptive in size. Lots of leg-room for a little car. Quality finish inside and out. I have no idea why people buy toyotas or mazdas at the same price when they now have such cheap finishes and are less practical.
Reliability +++++

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedDec 2012

ethan
ethan

Great fun but sensible car!

BadgeGTI

Read more reviews - page 2

Sherpard
Sherpardasked
Polo MK4 9N (2002-2010)

Polo 1.4 blm I took my engen apart after a failed oil pump replaced the pump pistons and crank sensor and now car won't start. Any help?

Judi W.
Judi W.asked
Polo

Hi I have a 2010 TDI and recently when I start the car the clock has been going back to zero, so has the KM readings and also today the cruise control ha stopped working. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Your suggestions greatly appreciated.

Nugget

No idea on what would cause that. But if it was my car I would take it to a VW service centre.

Janet W.
Janet W.asked
Polo

My niece bought a VW Polo in 2015 and had issues with the AC during the warranty period. Its now out of warranty and the service centre is now admitting to the problem (after having it back to them several times this year to fix AC) being a major one. We would be very interested to hear if anyone else has had similar issues as we think VW should be responsible for this repair.
Janet

Nugget

It sounds as if it's a Warranty matter. If the AC problem occurred during the Warranty period, was brought to the dealers attention at the time, and was not then fixed I think it remains a Warranty issue. That arguement is strengthened if the dealer now concedes that the problem is the one they were told about under Warranty.

Compare all 10 Volkswagen Polo
Fuel Consumption4.8 L/100km5 L/100km5.1 L/100km5 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 40 L40 L40 L40 L
Engine3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L
Max Power70kW @ 5500rpm70kW @ 5500rpm85kW @ 5500rpm85kW @ 5500rpm
Max Torque175Nm @ 2000-3500rpm175Nm @ 2000-3500rpm200Nm @ 2000-3500rpm200Nm @ 2000-3500rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth AfricaSouth AfricaSouth AfricaSouth Africa
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateJan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017