See the Best Hatchbacks in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Couldn't be happier or safer

I am really happy with my new car and have no regrets. The basic features are excellent - specially the comms technology which works seamlessly with android auto (dont waste your money on sat nav). In particular paying the extra $1500 for the driver assistance pack was well worth it. It has saved me from at least one accident in city traffic by braking when the car in front stopped suddenly whilst I was doing a head check. My last car was a diesel polo which had lots of grunt so I was worried I would be disappointed with the 1.0 l engine, but it has plenty of get up and go for city and freeway driving. It handles a bit better than the old polo but I still dont feel entirely secure in the rain and on bends - our other car is an AWD so I have high expectations. The drawbacks so far are minor- the worst is probably the fact that if the stop start engine has stopped when you are pointing uphill, when you take your foot off the brake to restart, it can roll back a little before engaging. A little concerning when someone is too close. Brakes are a bit grabby too, but it's still done less than 5000 km. I would definately buy again

Purchased in November 2018.

Year2018

A Very Good Small Car

We bought a new automatic petrol VW 'Urban Plus' Polo in February 2018. We wanted a comfortable, functional, and economical 'buzz box' for urban running. We got it with this car. It has 4 doors plus a lift back hatch and is surprisingly roomy for such a small car. We chose the 'Urban Plus' variant because it has more comfortable seating, slightly bigger wheels than the standard Polo, a 81 kW motor c/f with the standard 66 kW, heated front seats, cruise control, and a full sized spare wheel. It has covered 12,000 kms and we have mainly driven it around the metropolitan area, although we have done two long country trips of highway driving where we recorded an astoundingly good economy. Overall since new across all categories of driving we get 6.2 litres/100 kms, and on highway driving this improves by more than 10% coming down to slightly above 5 litres/100kms. With this engine option (1.2 litres petrol turbo 81 kW) the car is quick. Ours has a 7 speed DSG gearbox - the first time we have had one and so far it has performed impeccably. It takes a short while to get used to it because 1st gear is very low - I was told to drive it from stationary as if it is a manual gearbox - i.e. get the car rolling gently in 1st gear then use the higher gears for acceleration. Good advice I think. My wife enjoys driving this car for city driving - easy to park, quick, and economical. Are there any negatives? - well not really but 2 points I would mention. Like all small cars on long trips the seating is not as comfortable as in larger cars, and secondly my wife notices that the faux chrome surround on the front side air vents reflects into the side windows - I don't notice it and I think she has now adjusted to it. There is a number of very good cars in the 'buzz box' category and making a decision to choose this one was difficult from a short list of about 4 brands. We did however like the inclusion of a full sized spare wheel (if you've ever had to rely on a space saver spare when a long way from a service centre or during public holidays you will appreciate our point of view), the pricing we were given, and various details within the final deal. Now that we have owned the car for more than a year we love it and are happy to recommend it to anyone looking for a car of this type.

Purchased in February 2018.

TransmissionDual-Clutch (DCT)
Year2017

Bought a lemon

Bought a 2012 VW Polo TDI ,had problems from day one ,the in car phone system did not work , was advised by the VW Dealer that it is unusual for that to fail , after doing some checks on line I found it a common fault I printed this out and handed to the service department , they told me that there is no fix for this at this time , , after about 15000 kms the DSG gear box failed ,had to have it towed to the dealer , was told by the dealer that they would have to get a gear box from Germany , about 5 weeks , they did arrange a hire car for that period ,when I got the car back Had issues with the electric steering , the A/C failed , the head lights flickered and was told by the service department that I had pulsating head lights load of rubbish , , at about 85000 kms the front hubs failed , needed replacing was told that I needed new tyres which I got , took back to dealer, same issues with hubs , at the end went to another dealer,will never ever by another VW

Purchased in September 2012 for $26,000.00.

Year2012

great car

great handling, fuel economy and overall quality. Highly recommend to everyone. Drive the car everyday to work and weekends. Great sound system. I am a older driver and have had many cars in my life. Best car i have owned. Not the fastest car around but I gets you there in style. You want a race car go to the race track.

Purchased in November 2016 at Southport vw for $19,000.00.

Year2016

Love my Polo

This is a power, fast, compact car. So easy to park, but heaps of space inside. It is quiet to run, very economical on fuel and only serviced once a year. I have had no trouble with my Polo and any queries / problems have been addressed immediately by the service centre. Highly recommend the VW Polo and the VW brand

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Powerful Little Hatch

I bought this Polo at the start of 2017. Auto, comfortline Polo, and I was very surprised about the power and noise that comes out of this car. Quick off the line and low on fuel consumption. It has adaptive cruise control so the car basically drives itself on the highways. Would highly recommend

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Great car

Purchased a new Comfortline Polo in October 2018 this year. Traded our 2014 Golf R wanting something more economical and less of a headache cost wise to service. I was a bit dubious at first but for a little car it has a bit of punch and we got it in the manual which makes it fun to drive. Easy to park, responsive, nice interior, doesn't seem as cramped as the older Polo generation/shapes and easy on the pocket. Overall happy with our purchase.

Engine Size1L
Date PurchasedOct 2018

VW Polo cosmetically great, mechanically poor.

Great fuel economy, good looks but that is where it ends.

Our VW Polo has been nothing but trouble. Me and my wife have lost count of the number of times we have had to take it back for warranty claims. The problems started with a leaking Sunroof. After that we have bought the car back to VW four times to try and get the A/C fixed and it only works for a short while before failing again and we are back to square one. Another thing to note is that the 7 speed DSG in this car is nothing short of rubbish. These transmission have a massive delay when taking off from a stand still and VW will tell you this is" normal" and due to the inherent poor design of the 7spd DSG transmission I believe it is. It has recently developed a shudder on the 1-2 shift which feels terrible and it also makes a grinding noise on the downshift. All of this has happened on a car that is only 4 years old and with 60k on the clock coupled with a perfect service history.

Another thing to note is the extremely poor way in which VW treats it's customers. This car is one of the models caught up in the diesel gate scandal. Vw's behavior towards us as the consumers is nothing short of utter contempt. As they refuse to give us due compensation in Australia for the lies they told all of us when they sold us the car. Couple that with poor customer service at every VW dealer we have been to and the inability to fix the problems with the car me and my wife will never again go anywhere near anything within the Audi/VW/Skoda name.

Badge66TDI Comfortline
Engine Size1.6L Turbo-Diesel
Date PurchasedOct 2014

Great car

Brilliant little go-cart.
Perfect for running around town but also super comfortable for long trips. Easiest thing to park. Great "go". Lots of fun. Responsive steering. Nothing went wrong mechanically in 6 years after which we updated to new model.
Loads of space. Huge boot - couldn't believe how much we could get in the boot. Deceptive in size. Lots of leg-room for a little car. Quality finish inside and out. I have no idea why people buy toyotas or mazdas at the same price when they now have such cheap finishes and are less practical.
Reliability +++++

Date PurchasedDec 2012

Great fun but sensible car!

Highly recommend the Polo GTI with 1.4 turbocharged & supercharged engine! It’s an absolute hoot to drive when you’re in the mood & super sensible & comfortable when you’re not in the mood to play. Best fuel consumption I’ve had was 4.9L/100kms (long 60km/hr drive with little stopping) & worst was about 9L/100km with me driving like a lunatic! I normally average about 6.5-7L/100km, vs 8.5L/100 km I used to get in my Mini before.
The car handles brilliantly, great brakes, super comfy & supportive seats, still looks sharp & feels great on long trips. It’s the kind of car that makes you want to go for a drive just because & makes you look forward to the driving part of a weekend away.
Sure servicing is probably a tad more than a similarly sized Toyota or Mazda or whatever, but it’s so worth it for the amount of enjoyment you get in the day to day driving!

BadgeGTI
Engine Size1.4 Turbocharged & Supercharged
Date PurchasedAug 2018

Great first car

Great first car for a student! Love the fact that it came with a touch screen, reverse parking assistance, blueetooth and Apple Carplay-which is sucha hassle-free thing (you can access spotify, directions, Siri to make calls, send messages). Economical fuel consumption too and smooth steering! No problems so far, easy parking!

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Best small car

I've been looking for a small car with 5 seaters, modern look, less petrol consumption, solid, easy to drive, cheap service. And yes it is, VW Polo which ticks all my checklists. I've been driving everyday without any problem. The car is very easy to handle but still solid and safe on any type of road. I drove much on freeway and city. It never disappointed me a second. Just only use $60 per fortnight for the petrol. Still have my baby comfortably at the back and enjoy my driving at the front !!!

Engine Size1.2L Turbo Petrol
Date PurchasedMar 2014

No digital speed display and rattles

Rather than a normal digital speed, it has the Temperature in largest font in the middle, staring at my face all day. I have to look at the analog speedometer. I was told it can be changed until...they can't change it. Its a bloody design flaw. Even my dad's almost 10 years old Toyota Echo has a digital speed display.

This car's interior light design is also flawed, the lights are placed next to rear view mirror, not in the middle of the ceiling like other cars. If you sitting in the back seat during night time, drops something, good luck on finding it.

My steering wheels didn't come with control buttons like others. Brand new car started to have a weird rattling sound behind the dash, which they eventually fixed. Now my aircon starting to have sounds too. The radio sometimes hisses which my old car never had a problem. Don't like the only accept min 95 fuel either.
-- new update from Sept 2018 --
Front radio started having static noises, even when the radio is off. Have to book in for another repair, again.

Engine Size1.2L Turbo Petrol
Date PurchasedMar 2017

My Polo <3

I bought my first Polo 2 years ago and seriously to this day (touch wood), I had no issue with the car and it's extremely economical. I drive more than 400kms in a week and only use $35-$40 worth of fuel. I really recommend a vVolkswagen, whether it's a Polo or something else.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Great little fast car

Great to drive and very low cost to run. This fantastic car is the best I’ve bought so far. The service VW offer is very good too. Although they are expensive you get warranty on al their work. I bought the car second hand but it’s in great condition and drives well

BadgeGTI
Engine Size1.4L Turbo Petrol

Very nice car

I am very happy with this car, it is small does not consume much fuel and it is easy to drive. The interiors are nice, despite the fact that is the entry level of VW. With one liter of 94 petrol I can drive for approximately 18km which overall is not too bad

BadgeClassic
Engine Size1.4L Petrol
Doors3
Date PurchasedJun 2014

Terrible, very disappointed

When I stop car it jerks, when I take off from standing position car jerks. Feels like seats coming forwards. When I'm coming out of a parking space, car will go very slow, then suddenly shoots forwards. Dangerous. Is this normal for this model. My mechanic says it is. Very unsatisfactory.

Engine Size1.4L Petrol

Good car !

Easy driving. Good for short haul drive. Fuel consumption is good too. Small and easy for 2 people commute. The car has many perks like bluetooth for mobile use, controls on the driving wheel which make it easy. Easy parking with reverse cameras. best price vehicle for the price. VW has a good name so I went with it.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

little car that is a pleasure to drive

although it may look small on the outside, the inside is quite spacious for a person that is 6ft. it is really good on petrol, only 6L/100km which saves me alot of money in the long run. it handles really well in all conditions, even off road. the inside is very luxurious and feels alot more expensiv than it really is. the speaker system works better than most other cars i have been in.

Engine Size1.4L Turbo Petrol
Date PurchasedMay 2010

Awesome small car!

Bought the POLO for my wife after HEAPS of research. The Polo came out tops so we took the plunge and bought new. Went for all options, Driver comfort package and very impressed. Love the once/year servicing ( every 10 months with the k's my wife does ). Fixed price servicing is good also. Very economical getting around 700 k's to the tank (around $40). One or two annoying rattles that should get sorted at next service. Now looking to upgrade to new model early this year.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Are the polo diesel 2012 dpf?

Where on my2015 polo trendline 1.2 turbo is the oil filter cannot see because of air filter and other fittings
Under the engine . Access to it from underneath the car . Pull Off the plastic Cover you will see it.

Hiya, this seems like such a silly question but I can't find how to check my odometer!! I have a 2017 polo launch edition. I can find "since start" and "long term" km's but I can't find my total km's anywhere!
Hi Catriona. the stop start KMs are in the screen in the centre of the Dash. You need the ignition on and scroll through the menu for the cars techno information. The KMs are counted on a small screen in the centre of the tacho and the speedometerThat's where I was looking, I've been through every menu so many times and I can only find "short term" and "long term" km's, I can't find the total km's anywhere.Omg I finally found it. For some reason it's hidden behind the cruise control. When I turn off cruise control it's there. I just never usually have cruise control off - even when it's not actually engaged I still leave it on. I was looking under "driving data" which, if you ask me, would be a much more sensible place for it to be located!!

Volkswagen Polo AW 70TSI Trendline Manual (2017-2019)Volkswagen Polo AW 70TSI Trendline Automatic (2017-2019)Volkswagen Polo AW 85TSI Comfortline Manual (2017-2019)Volkswagen Polo AW 85TSI Comfortline Automatic (2017-2019)Volkswagen Polo AW GTI (2017-2019)Volkswagen Polo MK4 9N (2002-2010)Volkswagen Polo MK5.I 6R (2010-2014)Volkswagen Polo MK5.II 6R (2014-2017)Volkswagen Polo AW beats Manual (2016)Volkswagen Polo AW beats Automatic (2016)
CategoryHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacks
Starting Price $18,790$21,290$20,290$22,790$31,990
TransmissionManualDual-Clutch (DCT)ManualDual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels15" Steel15" Steel15" Alloy15" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors5555555
Seats5555555
Fuel Consumption4.8 L/100km5 L/100km5.1 L/100km5 L/100km6.1 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 40 L40 L40 L40 L40 L40 L40 L
Engine3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L
Max Power70kW @ 5500rpm70kW @ 5500rpm85kW @ 5500rpm85kW @ 5500rpm147kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque175Nm @ 2000-3500rpm175Nm @ 2000-3500rpm200Nm @ 2000-3500rpm200Nm @ 2000-3500rpm320Nm @ 1450-4390rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth AfricaSouth AfricaSouth AfricaSouth AfricaSouth AfricaSouth AfricaSouth Africa
Safety Features
Extra Features
  • Adjustable Pedals
  • Dual Zone Air Conditioning
  • Keyless Entry
  • USB Port
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateJan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2002Jan 2010Jan 2014Jan 2016Jan 2016
Discontinuation dateDec 2010Dec 2014Dec 2017Dec 2016Dec 2016