Volkswagen Transporter

127 questions from our users

Peter

Peterasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I have a coil issue with my VW T4 2.0 AAC ENGINE. I HAVE NOW REPLACED 8 IGNITION COILS IN 6 MONTHS. Took the van to a VW specialist, replaced battery , hall sensor; sparks plugs, distributor rotor and cap , plugs leads. I am still having the same problem and have to carry spare coil in the car with me to stay of trouble. Can anyone come up with an answer as i am sick and tired of mechanics pretending to have fixed the problem and stealing my money( VW "specialists" in particular.)?

CraigB
CraigB

Peter, we have the same problem and nobody seems to be able to fix it. Have had the van towed seven times now in the past few months. Have to have a spare coil in the car now as it keeps on breaking down. Desperate to find what is causing this also.

Brian

Brianasked

Hi
I have a 2009 VW Transporter T5 TDI.
It has developed a severe miss when warmed up. Even stalls on occasion.
I have used Molycote injection cleaner to no avail.
Is this a Glow plug problem?
The van has 455,000km on the clock and has been looked after well.

Angelica

Angelicaasked

Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

What does L5 mean on the 2.5 diesel

michael r.

michael r.asked

Hi all,

I have a 1999 T4 short nose 2L petrol with 317K on it and i think the big end bearing is starting to go. So two questions.,

First - how easy is this to replace the big end on the 2L, yes i have more than a little bit of mechanical knowledge, so capable, but don't want to start the unfinishable if its better to just install a new motor.

Second question, if a new motor is easier, can i fit a 2.5L petrol into the short nose, or does this motor only fit in long nose versions.

Appreciate your thoughts and time in responding :)

Paul F.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

My poor old 2001 T4 automatic is having more gearbox problems.After a reset because it was stuck in 2nd gear it now has no reverse & seems to have 3rd gear available .Reverse on the console is now neutral....

Debra W.

Debra W.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hi, Just wanted some expert advice on a 2002 VW transporter? As wanting to buy a second hand ambulance. Any issues with this model please.
Cheers Debra

Young B.

Young B.asked

I’ve got a 1996 t4 Ute 2.4 litre 5 cylinder diesel,
For the life of me I can’t seem to bleed the air out of the bloody injectors,
I’m on my third new battery and I’ve killed the starter motor,
And just replaced it,
I really don’t want to kill another at almost $500 a go
Cheers Frank

Sharieff B.

Sharieff B.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Vw tdi t4 vehicle starts no problem but dousnt want to idle nor wants to rev. any ideas?

Danielle W.

Danielle W.asked

Service parts required for 1999 model

Priscilla A.

Priscilla A.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

What can I do? The drive movement is sluggish but the reverse movement is better

Karl V.

Karl V.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

My 97 transporter drives 30kls then oil light flashers then Stopes .starts again in 20mins does same again any idea

Katie M.
Katie M.

Catalytic converter.

Karl V.

Karl V.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I have 97wolwagon transporter I drive it for 30ks oil light flashers then it stops.starts again in 20min does the same again any ideas what it is

Shane R.asked

Transporter

My 2000 t4 transporter starts an then stops I'm replacing ignition switch and a relay box 30 ,any idea's

Vic S.

Vic S.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Has anybody had any trouble with t4 automatic gearbox?

Seen transporter t4 77 model advertized ,auto gearbox blown

Paul F.

They are terrible gearboxes.V.W should be ashamed of themselves!! I've had lots of trouble with mine.

Gary L.

Gary L.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I have a 97 diesel 2.4ltr can i replace the engine with a 2.5ltr TD engine of around the same year.

nabil elouahabi

nabil elouahabiasked

Transporter

I’m new to the van and wondered are there any tips of keeping fuel consumption economical?

An.S.

An.S.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hello there, I bought a 1995 VW T4 single cab syncro.
It has no engine, gearbox, transfer case.
I wonder what diesel engine it had fitted as I can't find any info.
Anyone who has a gearbox/transfer case please let me know.
Many thanks, Andree

Rick

Rickasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I just had a fire in my transporter 94 petrol, I've replaced wiring but my oil light keeps beeping and my temperature gage isn't working,can anyone give me some trouble shooting advice.thanks

Brodz

Brodzasked

Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

Looking to buy a 2002 twin cab vw 5cyl just wondering how far on a tank of fuel an pulling with 3 motor cross bikes on
An is there any bad thing to look for

yesitsme
yesitsme

I have a 2006 permanently dragging around 1400kg. @80,000kms on, it still gets 750-800km per tankful

Wiremu w.

Wiremu w.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I’m about to buy a 1997 Volkswagen transporter with 335000 km on it, is this a big risk on it breaking down and getting problems, the owner says it hasn’t missed a service and just got a new belt last month.
He wants $6000 but I thought that was far to priced and was thinking $4600,
Would anyone be able to let me know much about the van please.
Parts etc if it’s due to brake down with the km.

Cheers