Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now

2.4

• Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks (29), <1 week (24), 1-2 months (15), 2-4 weeks (14) and 3+ months (3)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (47) · No (39)
Tam

TamSouth East Queensland, QLD

Excellent cover for the life of our Great Dane

Woolworths pet insurance provided peace of mind for the life of our Great Dane. Incredible value for money and allowed us to provide the best veterinary care for our Great Dane without financial concern. They were always very efficient approving/rebating claims. The online portal made submitting claims very easy. I have recommended it to numerous family and friends.

Pauline KeaysMid North Coast, NSW

Never use these shonks. They are thieves

Policy number: 03473285. I have been with these thieves for 10 years, and barely claimed. Last week, my poor doggie went in to have his annual scale and clean. He needed 3 teeth removed, requiring blood tests, general anaesthetic and multiple medications. I submitted the claim, and got the $50.00 back for preventative dental checks. My bill was $1100.00. What a pathetic refund, when I pay $1100/year for premiums. I am now cancelling my policy. WHAT A JOKE!!

Claim DateNovember 2020
Pauline Keays

Hi Amanda. I did discuss this with a customer service lady. She was adamant that the $50 refund was all I was getting. So I cancelled the policy. I will pay the vet fees, as they occur.

Rejected claim saying it was pre existing as the vet provided information about common health problems with the breed

Absolute waste of money, classified an information of types of things to watch out for with my pet from the medical notes as a pre existing condition and wouldn’t cover anything when it did happen to my pet. The vet recommended the surgery to ensure that we didn’t have an emergency situation and even after a final review by a vet claims officer; it was still denied. The vet should be able to give owners information about specific conditions on certain types of breeds without it affecting an owners insurance. I had explained this and my claim was still rejected. Do not waste your money with this insurer.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Happy dog owner

Happy dog ownerGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Hassle free claim

Our dog suffered a snake bite. Claiming on our Woolworths pet insurance was hassle free. Our Vet bills were almost $11,000. Woolworths paid the agreed 80% less excess. I simply uploaded the receipts filled on the online form and was paid within 3-4 days. Cannot recommend highly enough!

Marie

MarieGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Premiums are going through the roof yearly!!!!

I have had my dog covered by woolworths pet insurance for 8 years. Have had a couple claims rejected but overall they have been approved. My only gripe with Woolworths pet insurance is how they constantly increase your premiums not by a few dollars but 10s of dollars per year. A bit extreme. Rather than reward loyal customers they are penalized with unreasonable increases. One would be reluctant to make claims for fear of these yearly increases. Starting to be a dissatisfied customer.

Ecostar

EcostarTasmania

Bad value for money

Beware of the "affordable premium" when first signing up, it doesn't stay affordable for long. We had 2 dogs insured with Woolworths Pet Insurance, both insured as puppies. One dog is now 3.5 years, the other 2.5 years. We've never claimed for the younger dog and only claimed 3 or 4 times for the older dog and at the point of cancelling the policies, the cost to insure both dogs for 1 year was $2080 per year.

For such young dogs, this seems excessive and certainly not sustainable. Very disappointed.

sentinel88South East Queensland, QLD

Claims submitted online and processed according to Policy

Number of Pets3 pets

Great customer service

Made my first claim after kelpie was bitten by brown snake. Received excellent and caring customer service and less than 48hrs after claim I was reimbursed. I recommend them 100%

Amanda P.Woolworths Pet Insurance

Hi Viv C, we are so pleased to hear you're okay and we were able to help you in a time of need. We'd like to take the time to thank you once again for choosing Woolworths Insurance and sharing your feedback. Stay safe and wishing you all the best.

johnny

johnny

don't go with woolworths

definately don't go with woolworths pet insurance they put up premiums when ever they like when offering new customers much cheaper policies and when you say to cancel your current policy and take out new cheaper policy they tell you that any previous conditions from 2 years ago won't be covered by the new policy go with someone else

Wayne H.

Wayne H.South East Queensland, QLD

Improved service

Previously I had written a scathing review for woolworths pet insurance as their website and phone service was atrocious. It seems in the last few months this has been taken on board and things have improved. I can say that the vet assist has been a very good feature and I have utilised it many times. Whilst the phone service and web site still needs some work, the staff are generally very helpful.

Claim DateNovember 2020
Amanda P.Woolworths Pet Insurance

No point getting this insurance

Had the insurance for the last 5 years made my first claim my dog got bitten by an insect which has caused an allergic reaction and anaemia. Thinking it would all be covered as bites are covered in my policy went through with the blood transfusion and expensive vet bills put the claim in to find out that my claim was rejected because the bite caused an illness which isnt covered. Everytime i rang took over twenty to thirty minutes to get through to someone to talk about it. Tried to cancel my policy and they cant even do that proper useless DO NOT GET THIS INSURANCE IS GOOD FOR NOTHING

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJune 2020
Sarah M.

Sarah M.Hunter Region, NSW

Waste of time/money

My pup has hip dysplasia (was not pre existing) and even with letter from vet stating that it wasnt they refuse to cover her. Appealed and they still say its pre existing even though all her records say not!!

Neil W.

Neil W.Sydney, NSW

Claimed on insurance for cat - no issues

I took out Woolworth's pet insurance abut 4 months ago for my cat Cora. After reading the reviews online I was a little worried... Especially when my cat started limping and required X-Rays at over $500. The WW's pet portal was easy to use and I was refunded 80% of the cost in under 10 days. A big thumbs up from me!

Claim DateAugust 2020
Amanda P.Woolworths Pet Insurance

Hi Neil W., we are so pleased to hear you're okay and we were able to help you in a time of need. We'd like to take the time to thank you once again for choosing Woolworths Insurance and sharing your feedback. Stay safe and wishing you all the best.

parnian

parnianbruce

Scam Alert: They lie about the policy start date

Paul

PaulGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Poor customer service & refusal to pay claim

Took out insurance policy with Hospitalisation, Radiology & Medicines. The first claim on this policy for these three items was rejected. Attempts to call Woolworths Pet Insurance are in vein because they do not answer the phone.
Seems like they have been set up to take premiums, provide no customer service and to reject claims systematically in the first instance

MakSydney

The Worst Possible Cover you can ever get for your pet

They don't cover necessities (being a comprehensive cover). Any disease that they classify as BREADING they won't cover. Any Holiday Accommodation is not covered. If you want to cancel and they've already paid you once for a regular per visit or vaccine, they will force you to pay the full year.
Run away from it, it's not worth paying the premium

Suneil B.

Suneil B.Sydney, NSW

Absolute rip off

Please read the policy statement regarding excess. Your bill must exceed $100 every single time or they won't pay for any of it. whats the point? I'll be shopping elsewhere. It took weeks and weeks for them to look into the first claim.

Charles

CharlesSouth East Queensland, QLD

Love your money but nothing in return

My experience seems to reflect that of many on this review site. Everything is either pre-existing or things that are normal preventative things that are not covered. Since when was cleaning a dog's teeth normal? Sure, I can understand how vaccinations are normal preventative but seriously I wonder what has to be the problem for insurance to cover the outlays.

Lousy value for money without doubt and I am cancelling and would not give them any stars if allowed

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateMay 2020
Shano

ShanoSydney, NSW

I would give them a ‘0’ if I could - don’t go with them.

I have had pet insurance with Woolworths since receiving our dog (as a puppy). I have submitted a few claims. All claims refused as a pre-existing condition. Not sure how it can be pre-existing when we have had cover from day one. They also price jack premiums. Do not go with Woolworths Pet Insurance.

josh d.