Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (26)
    • 1-2 weeks (30)
    • 2-4 weeks (17)
    • 1-2 months (15)
    • 3+ months (3)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (49) · No (42)

CodySydney, NSW

Demonic Rip Off Crap - Zero Stars

No value in having this insurance. Insured my K9 & Feline for 2 years, only ever put in 2 claims - both rejected! Rejected over legalese & crap! Total RIP OFF, only interested in taking your money, not interested in your Fur Babies health or well-being. Avoid this Dishonest business. Your Fur Babies deserve better!

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog

Denied Insurance

Darron

DarronSydney, NSW

Not worth the money

I have insured my dog for 8 years, a year ago I was notified that the fee would increase by 50%, I struggled with this but paid the amount. I was considering cancelling my policy as it was just to much. Yesterday I was notified that premiums would again rise by a further 28%, you are kidding. I now feel completely ripped off and had only wished that I had read the reviews prior to signing up.

Diane

DianeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Unreasonable premium increase

I have just received a renewal for pet insurance for me 2 cats. It has gone from $55 a month to now $80 a month with zero claims throughout the year. How can this increase be justified???? I will be looking at an alternative as it is simply a rip off.

BUDDY

BUDDY Perth, WA

There when I needed you!

Been with Woolworths pet insurance for 10 years. My claims were settled within 5 days and the communication was spot on keeping me informed every step of the way. Very good value all round.

Positive experience

I have nothing but positive comments about my experience with Woolworths Pet Insurance. We had our dog insured for over 13 years and had many claims over that time. We never had any problems with our claims and the vet bills were always paid. I can highly recommend this product and will be using it again myself.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Hassle free claims process. Delivered as per policy pdf.

I recently had to claim for extensive vet care for my sick cat. The claim went through hassle free and delivered as per policy. $200 excess, No consultations as expected and received 80% back. The key to insurance is to know exactly what you are covered for so that your expectations are met. I contacted a consultant twice during treatment to ensure I understood all the exclusions. Well handled by Woolworths team from start to finish.

Amanda P.Woolworths Pet Insurance

Hi Jenny T, we are so pleased to hear you're okay and we were able to help you in a time of need. We'd like to take the time to thank you once again for choosing Woolworths Insurance and sharing your feedback. Stay safe and wishing you all the best.

jordyn

jordynWestern District, VIC

3 years of being ripped off

mohammad p

mohammad pSydney, NSW

Dishonest, Not reliable, Not responsible

I had a premium Woolworths pet insurance, and based on their policy, I was eligible to claim for a temporary pre-existing condition under Accidental Injury part. But after making a claim, they said It's been in 30 days waiting period!!!! After I explained to them that my policy and also your website mentions that Waiting period is applicable for illness or cruciate ligament conditions, and none of them is related in this case, they sent it to be reviewed by the claim review team. They also said the same thing!
Anyway, I cancelled it immediately and applied to another pet insurer.
Woolworths pet insurance is 100% dishonest, and they just wasted my money and time.

Claim DateDecember 2020

3 months on and I still have no access to claims

F E.
F E.
Tam

TamSouth East Queensland, QLD

Excellent cover for the life of our Great Dane

Woolworths pet insurance provided peace of mind for the life of our Great Dane. Incredible value for money and allowed us to provide the best veterinary care for our Great Dane without financial concern. They were always very efficient approving/rebating claims. The online portal made submitting claims very easy. I have recommended it to numerous family and friends.

Pauline KeaysMid North Coast, NSW

Never use these shonks. They are thieves

Policy number: 03473285. I have been with these thieves for 10 years, and barely claimed. Last week, my poor doggie went in to have his annual scale and clean. He needed 3 teeth removed, requiring blood tests, general anaesthetic and multiple medications. I submitted the claim, and got the $50.00 back for preventative dental checks. My bill was $1100.00. What a pathetic refund, when I pay $1100/year for premiums. I am now cancelling my policy. WHAT A JOKE!!

Claim DateNovember 2020
Pauline Keays

Hi Amanda. I did discuss this with a customer service lady. She was adamant that the $50 refund was all I was getting. So I cancelled the policy. I will pay the vet fees, as they occur.

Rejected claim saying it was pre existing as the vet provided information about common health problems with the breed

Absolute waste of money, classified an information of types of things to watch out for with my pet from the medical notes as a pre existing condition and wouldn’t cover anything when it did happen to my pet. The vet recommended the surgery to ensure that we didn’t have an emergency situation and even after a final review by a vet claims officer; it was still denied. The vet should be able to give owners information about specific conditions on certain types of breeds without it affecting an owners insurance. I had explained this and my claim was still rejected. Do not waste your money with this insurer.

Happy dog owner

Happy dog ownerGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Hassle free claim

Our dog suffered a snake bite. Claiming on our Woolworths pet insurance was hassle free. Our Vet bills were almost $11,000. Woolworths paid the agreed 80% less excess. I simply uploaded the receipts filled on the online form and was paid within 3-4 days. Cannot recommend highly enough!

Marie

MarieGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Premiums are going through the roof yearly!!!!

I have had my dog covered by woolworths pet insurance for 8 years. Have had a couple claims rejected but overall they have been approved. My only gripe with Woolworths pet insurance is how they constantly increase your premiums not by a few dollars but 10s of dollars per year. A bit extreme. Rather than reward loyal customers they are penalized with unreasonable increases. One would be reluctant to make claims for fear of these yearly increases. Starting to be a dissatisfied customer.

Ecostar

EcostarTasmania

Bad value for money

Beware of the "affordable premium" when first signing up, it doesn't stay affordable for long. We had 2 dogs insured with Woolworths Pet Insurance, both insured as puppies. One dog is now 3.5 years, the other 2.5 years. We've never claimed for the younger dog and only claimed 3 or 4 times for the older dog and at the point of cancelling the policies, the cost to insure both dogs for 1 year was $2080 per year.

For such young dogs, this seems excessive and certainly not sustainable. Very disappointed.

sentinel88South East Queensland, QLD

Claims submitted online and processed according to Policy

Number of Pets3 pets

Great customer service

Made my first claim after kelpie was bitten by brown snake. Received excellent and caring customer service and less than 48hrs after claim I was reimbursed. I recommend them 100%

Amanda P.Woolworths Pet Insurance

Hi Viv C, we are so pleased to hear you're okay and we were able to help you in a time of need. We'd like to take the time to thank you once again for choosing Woolworths Insurance and sharing your feedback. Stay safe and wishing you all the best.

johnny

johnny

don't go with woolworths

definately don't go with woolworths pet insurance they put up premiums when ever they like when offering new customers much cheaper policies and when you say to cancel your current policy and take out new cheaper policy they tell you that any previous conditions from 2 years ago won't be covered by the new policy go with someone else

Steven S

Steven Sasked

Woolworths Pet Insurance

I have had Woolworths pet insurance for years and have been paid every cent owed to me. I did have trouble in the beginnings so I wrote to the CEO of Woolworths this was resolved and going forward no issues.

Pauline Keays

Hi Steven. My beef was the no coverage for the dental extractions and medication/pathology costs. It is a rort. I have cancelled the policy, as I am disgusted with them. Cheers. Pauline

Christine H.

Christine H.asked

Woolworths Pet Insurance

I have a nine month old pug who had contact dermatitis when she was 9-10 weeks old. If she has an irritation like that in the future would that be considered a pre existing illness? I have been told that it is common for pugs to have soft pallet issues. Would this be covered with your insurance?

Pauline Keays

Unless you already have pet insurance, I understand that it will not be covered. Read the fine print first. That's where I came unstuck. Don't expect cover for anything to do with dental. Good luck. I cancelled my pet insurance, as I am so disillusioned with it. Pauline

mitchel

mitchelasked

Woolworths Pet Insurance

My 3 year old male Maltese Shih Tzu cross is terrified and severely traumatized of thunder and even slight rumbling. Is there any way of calming him to help him get through it?

sentinel88

You can buy a thunder shirt from petbarn or eBay or see your vet for calming medication.

Get an answer from our members and Woolworths Pet Insurance representatives

Accidental Injury Cover IncludedIncludedIncluded
Illness CoverIncludedIncludedIncluded
Routine Care CoverOptional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional Extra
Tick Paralysis$1,000$1,000$1,500
Emergency Boarding Fees$500 if you are hospitalised for 5 or more consecutive days$1,000 if you are hospitalised for 5 or more days$1,200 if you are hospitalised for 5 or more consecutive days
Lifetime Cover IncludedIncludedIncluded