World2Cover

See the Best Travel Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Watch out for * against luggage limit

We lost prescription glasses and only got $400 back - ($500 less excess). The luggage limit says $7,500 but in reality they determine the limit on items which will never cover replacement of the lost item.

Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Terrible is an understatement

If you are looking for travel insurance cover look elsewhere.
The cover offered online might look fantastic but if it happens that you require to claim you might as well not bother trying. We purchased a policy to cover us for 10 days for a family trip to Bali, when our return flights were cancelled due to volcanic ash we weren't entitled to cover because the World2Cover website has a small warning in fine print since 2017 advising that due to the re-occurring eruptions policy holders are not to be covered for any cancellations. Mind you this isn't listed in the PDS. To make things worse for my family and I we lost a backpack that had some valuables on our way to the airport to come home, but our claim was denied based on an extensive list of exclusions that ensures that World2Cover never pays for any claims made. I attempted to dispute the outcome of my claim but their customer service and complaints service are not interested in listening to any customer complaints.

DestinationAsia
Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateJune 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Prompt claim payment with minimal fuss

We took out a family travel cover policy for North America, including optional ski cover. Quote was very competitive and inclusions were good.
During the trip my wife required treatment for a rash. After a visit to the GP (resulting in steroid tablets and cream being prescribed), the rash worsened. Being Easter weekend we attended the emergency department. The doctor indicated that the rash was quite severe, gave her a steroid injection, and prescribed antibiotics as Cellulitis appeared to be a possibility.
Being the US, the ER trip came in at US$1650.00 for about a 15 min consultation! (always get insurance when travelling to the US!)
World2Cover were quick to pay on our claim. We had the money back in our account less than 5 days after providing the proof of payment for the ER bill.
The only let down in the experience was that the other items lodged in the claim (GP visit and prescribed medicines) were not paid. Not sure why, as these costs all formed part of the same medical issue/treatment.
No explanation given.

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Child
DestinationNorth America
Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Argumentive

Simple claim for lost item. Never had any intention of meeting claim. Claims officer was condescending in his manner. Based claim denial on an assumption made on his behalf. Refused to listen to reason or further clarifying explanation. Highly recommend avoidance of this company.

April 9th 2019 Update: Condescending

Legitimate claim denied. Claims officer was condescending. I was made to feel like a liar and a fraud. In essence did not believe a word of my claim. Save yourself the hassle, insure with someone else.

Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Terrible assistance

We selected World2cover because they were highly rated by Choice as good value. What a mistake we made.

We got their top cover option, partner had an accident and was hospitalised for operation. Firstly the World2cover insurer is Tokio Marine, as noted by another review here they use a USA based emergency assist service called On Call, all the paperwork you fill out uses US terminology e.g provide your social security number, their claim templates were broken - this make difficult situation even more difficult especially when you are trying to do everything from a mobile phone. I contacted On Call within the first hour and from that moment got no assistance at all, they are simply a gatekeeper for the insurer to limit costs, their main interest is minimising what your accident costs the insurer, getting you to complete and collect complicated paperwork and give you unnecessary instructions. For example, even though my partner broke a bone, they tried to send me on a wild goose chase to provide them with GP medical records in Australia for the past year - totally unnecessary. Because I had to extend my trip to stay with my partner my insurance with them expired, despite asking On Call, Tokio Marine and World2cover none of them could tell me if they were going to extend my cover for free, so I was left overseas uninsured by them. The examples of how they made dealing with this accident so much worse are many and are likely to be subject to a Financial Ombudsman Services complaint.

I will never never never use World2cover again and in the future I will check out who the assistance company, used by the insurer, is and look into them. I will also never use any other insurance product from Tokio Marine.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateAugust 2018
Claim ApprovedYes

Great cover, and fats payment.

I paid for travel insurance for 6 weeks in Europe, with ski cover. When skiiing in Austria, I had a fall and ended up being air lifted to hospital, then stayed in hospital overnight. World2cover and Tokio Marine ended up paying for the helicopter flight, the stay in the hospital, and the medications I needed, totalling about AU$7200. They paid the companies direct, and were responsive with everything I asked of them. Great cover and no isses at all!

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2019

Slow and unprofessional

I had a legitimate claim. At the beginning of 2019, I was hospitalised in Spain for 5 days. I followed all instructions correctly, I called their emergency number and they authorised the hospitalisation, they were super helpful, they kept on in the phone for half an hour reassuring me that this was to prevent any delays with the payments; they also said that if the bill exceeded $2000, they would pay the bill directly.

It sounded great but it wasn't true at all. It turns out that the emergency number is some sort of glorified call centre in the USA, they authorise things and then they do absolutely nothing else. After 5 days in hospital, with lots of tests, I was left with a bill of almost $4000. Of course, when I called the call centre to organise payment they said that it really doesn't work that way, that I had to now submit a claim to World2Cover (didn't I just spent half an hour in the phone with their representative in the emergency number a few days before?). And that then, they would have to investigate... I of course told them that they had all that info (I am still talking with the emergency number) and that they could have sped things up but they didn't!

I then filed the claim and received an automated message advising that they would take no longer than 10 days in answering my claim. After 11 days (and a very grumpy call from me), they answered... they now needed copies of the documents and I had to fill in some more forms. This routine continued a few times, every time they waited the 10 days before requesting yet another document that could've been on the initial list (e.g., after 1 month, they requested a bank statement showing how much I actually paid including fees etc). I had to call them several times and one of those times they sort of apologised for the delays (12 business days since I had submitted the last bits) and said that my claim had been approved and that it would take a couple more days. 5 days later the settlement letter arrived.

Almost two months after the incident, I recovered my almost $4000. I will never use them again and I will never recommend them to anyone:
1. the emergency number is just a glorified call centre, they are ok to authorise hospitalisation but they don't do anything else. The return call didn't work, I used my money to call and then they called me back, making the process more expensive... yes, it is my health and I will always use my money with no hesitation but it is not what it was promised in the policy!
2. Either they are slow and incompetent, or they are competent and go slowly on purpose so they delay the payment.
3. When I called World2Cover they couldn't tell me anything because my "claim manager" or something like that wasn't there... they couldn't do anything!!! I would request a callback and they would never call me back

It was a very frustrating process in a very delicate moment for my health. I was fortunate enough to have that money in my savings and I could pay without incurring in debt and I was healthy enough to pursue the payment. I wonder what would've happened if my health had not allowed me to be grumpy and call them every few days! how long would they have taken in paying?!

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Child
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

Disappointing

We bought World2Cover top cover travel insurance for our trip to NZ at the end of last year. We hired a car through Europcar, and near the end of the trip a stone chip on the windscreen from a truck going the other way on a newly surfaced road developed into a crack. Later the hire car company processed the damage report, and we paid the bill (which was the windscreen repair, plus moderate amounts for the car being off the road during repair for one day, and a service fee.) What I expected was that they would pay the Damage Liability Fee (which they call Excess or Deductible), (translated to $AU minus the claim excess of $100). They only paid the actual windscreen repair (minus $100 excess) and could not see that the other fees should be included. They could not show me any evidence that they were paying what the PDS claimed. I received A$101 for many hours of frustration.

Avoid them and go elsewhere.

DestinationAustralia/Oceania
Type of ClaimCar/Rental Hire Excess
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Be careful of the rental vehicle cover and where you park the car as you may have no cover

In relation to their international travel cover please be aware that if you park your car off a public roadway, for example a driveway, motel car park and a shopping centre car park you will have no cover if the car is stolen or damaged. I noticed their policy has an exclusion saying that they do not cover "loss or damage that occurs beyond a public roadway", I emailed them for clarification & two separate emails from their staff have confirmed that cover is ONLY while the car is on a roadway, not in a driveway, or any off street car park.
So their cover for car theft is very limited, after all, the only time your vehicle CAN be stolen is when it's parked.

Insurance claim madeNo

Happy with result

I lost my iPhone travelling overseas in Malaysia. They processed my claim and the funds were in my account within the 10 day time period promised. Happy with the result.

Can't contact them on Reverse Charges Call

Had our credit cards stolen while in the USA, tried to call reverse charges , but that is no longer available, had no credit card to pay for a standard call, so we were stranded. Luck for us VISA came to the rescue and had new cards issued in 24 hours. A 24 hr help line is useless unless it is contactable.

Insurance claim madeYes

Still waiting on a claim and it’s been months

Do not use!
Worth going with a reputable company because World2Cover is so slow at getting back to you on a genuine claim... still waiting and it’s been months.

Insurance claim madeYes

Affordable and easy travel insurance

Have used this company twice and was referred to them by the Entertainment Book. Really affordable and easy to make a claim. Everything was sorted within 1 week of claiming. I’ve travelled a lot and never had to claim in the past. Will be using them again!

Insurance claim madeYes

Still waiting on genuine claim

Still waiting 1 month after genuine claim for Qantas flight cancellations and the costs involved. This is the first time we have used World2Cover and only the second claim we have ever had in 20 years of travel. Will wait to see if our claim is successful.

Insurance claim madeYes

Slowest claim review process ever, do not waste your time!

This insurance company is terrible. Do not waste your time.
They say they respond within 10 working days and every time they take the full 10 days minimum to respond to your claim.
Then surprise, surprise, they have more questions and yet another 10 days.. then again, now up to 2 months and I have thrown the towel in and given up. Just not worth the effort as they obviously do not like to pay out claims. Not. Large claim either.
Warning-stay away very unprofessional.
My friend used Australia Post for a similar claim and had no problems, claim solved within a week.
Shop elsewhere- you will be wasting your time with these people.

Insurance claim madeYes

Lying Claims personnel who never rung back.

My husband sustained a Road motor vehicle accident whilst in Thailand to which he couldn’t make an international / collect call on his tourist mobile data plan due to lack of credit and a lack of public phones in the vicinity. He used his data plan to call me via Whatsapp for help and asked me to call world2cover on his behalf for help to which the Claims person promised to ring him on his mobile but never did, not even today. When I rung the hubby back, they still had not contacted him and he was bleeding from his left arm from the accident without any help at hand. I decided to ring his hotel for help and they were promptly in touch with him and got help to arrive.
His hotel staff were his life savers whereas World2Cover are liars who would rather leave him for dead in the middle of the road in a foreign country. Beware of World2Cover !

Trust issues

While applying for a single trip policy, the website offered an International Multi-trip policy as an alternative, and I thought why not. The policy schedule retained the specific countries from my original application, but the PDS assured me that "This plan is a worldwide plan and covers all non-restricted countries".

Later, I called to arrange cover for a minor pre-existing medical condition, for which I was quoted an additional premium of about 40% (other insurers have since agreed to cover the same condition at no extra charge). During the course of that call, and another in which a senior representative called me back, I learned that in fact my policy was NOT worldwide after all - worldwide cover would cost extra. Furthermore if I suffered any new illness or injury after purchasing the policy, I would have to inform the insurer who may or may not cover that condition in future travels.

I could not find anything in the policy to support this position. We quoted sections of the PDS back and forth at each other and although we were reading the same document, it was clear that the company's "guidelines" led to an interpretation very much at odds with a plain reading of the policy.

This raised alarm bells for me, about what I would face if I ever had to make a claim. "Well, " I was told, "our policy isn't for everyone and you do have a 21 days cooling off period".

Luckily I checked the PDS again - the cooling off period was in fact 14 days.

I cancelled the policy on the 14th day. The one good thing I can say is that the cancellation happened quickly and easily.

Insurance claim madeNo

A cheap, affordable option until you actually need to make a claim

Despite getting top cover, we found that the claim process was poor and that World2Cover were clearly very shifty about their reimbursement process.

I travelled to Europe and was impacted by the strikes occurring throughout France. As per top cover, World2Cover state:

"This policy suits travellers who are taking an extended holiday, have many bookings, or simply want the peace of mind knowing that they're covered should something unexpected happen:

- Travel agent fees in the event of a cancellation due to strikes by travel or other service providers"

We even emailed them from France, indicating that all forms of travel had been cancelled, and that the only way we could leave the country was by hire car. They advised that this was covered as per policy.

In the end, they barely covered a quarter of the additional costs we encountered as a result of the strike action. So no, we weren't "covered should something unexpected happen".

Wouldn't recommend. Pay a little extra and go to a reputable company that actually will assist you when they say they will.

Surprisingly good insurance company

Went to Bali and Jakarta beginning of this year and my 5 years old was hospitalised due to typhoid fever. We originally did not expect much on claiming the insurance since the receipts are showing local currency and medical records are mostly in Indonesian. Yet, the claim was easy. We only had to upload the photo of the payment receipts and medical records via their online claim facility. The reimbursement came several days later without any hassle. Highly recommend this insurance.

Insurance claim madeYes

Seems like a great deal - until you have to claim

I took out this insurance on behalf of my dad traveling to China. Unfortunately he was robbed the first day. He also needed another claim when in the plane about to take off to come home - food poisoning; for which he was hospitalized.
Despite providing the police report, they would not pay because it did not state the amount of cash stolen - it did, but it was in Chinese (obviously since he was robbed in China). They wanted him to get it translated! Eventually they paid for this after about 6 weeks.
Regarding the medical claim, it was all routed through a 3rd party company based in USA (Being a Japanese company is misleading. All claims are routed through a variety of 3rd party countries and companies such as in Philippines and USA). Despite providing everything they have asked for, he is still getting bills (with interest) sent to him from the hospital he was stuck in Hong Kong for four or five days. Every time he calls them (the insurer), they go around in circles with him providing the same information as per every other phone call (more than a dozen calls, posting and faxing documentation that they have already received multiple times). It seems like it is set up to frustrate you so you just give up. If they are not doing this deliberately, they must be the most incompetent company there is. How can they keep losing the paperwork? It seems the Financial Services Ombudsman is the only recourse to getting this resolved so it is heading there now.
For older Australians, this is very cheap insurance for what they seem to cover. Should you need to make a claim however, be prepared for a world of pain and frustration (and I'm saying this relative to the experience of dealing with other cheap online policies such as Travel Insurance Direct and Southern Cross - both no drama when making a claim).
Both these claims were straight forward. All the requested documentation was provided by my father from day one. The insurance company liaised with the hospital directly so my dad could leave without paying the bill. Why is he still getting accounts from the hospital? The company has not been honorable in dealing with the good will of the hospital or my father. Avoid at all costs.