Optus Broadband

Optus Broadband

ADSL, NBN, Cable, Mobile Broadband
1.6 from 2,890 reviews

See the Best Internet Service Providers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

• Adequate Speeds Yes (31%) · No (69%)

bobsprod

bobsprodBrisbane

Good one Optus - That's for the courier delivery. As for the rest, well..................

Data TypeCapped Data

Worst customer experience in my life

happyrabbit

happyrabbit

Absolutely delighted with the on-line Services

Start DateOctober 2019
Connection TypeHFC (Cable)
Rade N.

Rade N.Sydney, NSW

145 mbps average speed - delighted !!

I had NBN at Mortdale NSW- averaged 60 mbps non-peak. Moved to Kirrawee NSW - no NBN, so I got Optus 5G. Amazed by the performance. At $70 p.m. Unlimited why would anyone bother with NBN with a maximum theoretical 100mbps . No downtime, no dropouts.
Optus advises I should be getting 200 mbps at my location if I preposition the Modem to better line of sight to the tower, but I am happy with 145 mbps and location of the modem.

Sanjeev C.

Sanjeev C.Sydney, NSW

Is there a negative review?.. Better go to internet cafe

I bought Optus Home Wireless Broadband on 07th Jan. It gives speeds of 0.5 - 1Mbps at my home. Optus have tried everything till 09th Jan and since then they just want me to wait for a callback for which I was promised 72hrs. It's been 5 days. They aren't cancelling without charge. I'm stuck

This company is a joke

I have tried for 14 days have access to internet at home. First a modem arrived and it was supposed to be activated remotely. I called the company because it was not then they assure that would be activate in 24 hours. 2 hours later I received a message on my phone saying my order was cancelled. I called them again, they said they do not know what happened but I had to finalize a new order. After 4 hours in the phone I did what needed to be done. 48 hours I called them again and no order was processed in my name, no modem was coming. I spend more 4 hours and now they said I should do the process again. Even the company team suggested me to find a new company. No respect at all. I would not recommend this company even to my enemies.

Kendrick B.

Kendrick B.

Amazed

I was switching from an ADSL2+ Connection at around 7Mbps (On a good day) because the internet was too slow. The 4G speeds are excellent at around at least 25Mbps down without external antennas.

I’d give them 0 if it was an option

Multiple technical faults and weeks without service. Technical support were poor and continually failed to meet commitments.
when I requested a bill refund they only part refunded the cost despite the lack of service

Start DateAugust 2019
Jim

Jim

Restricted to use in off-peak hours only

Have had Optus 4g home broadband for 2 weeks. I was amazed by the incredible speeds, 150mbps, when I first tested the modem during the day, but as I started using it over the next 2 weeks I was slowly getting more and more frustrated with it.

Speeds at night are averaging 2.5mbps. I am unable to watch Netflix or any other streaming services, youtube doesn't load, and general browsing is frustratingly slow. I've commenced a case with Optus to try and cancel my plan. I am preparing myself for a nightmare fight.

I honestly regret signing up with Optus.

Contract Type18-month contract
Blicka

BlickaSydney, NSW

Great Speeds - Especially The Uploads As Well

Start DateFebruary 2019
Standalone or BundledBundled
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)

- redacted

- redactedGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Speed falls the longer you're a customer

I've had a poor experience.
Initially speeds were around 5Mbps - not great, considering that I live in an inner Melbourne suburb.
Over a few months, without moving the modem, upload speed has dropped to around 0.33 Mbps, and I have to use (Telstra) phone data to watch video streaming services - so what's the point of broadband?
The same deterioration happened earlier in the year, which the second person I spoke to at Optus was able to help with from their end - implies they are slowly cutting back on the speed of established customers?
Unimpressed. Moving to another provider, would rather pay out the rest of the contract than put up with this.

Start DateFebruary 2019

Bea

BeaSydney, NSW

Ridiculous, disgraceful and ultimately embarrassing!

Absolute joke!!!!!

My internet has been dropping out constantly for over 2 months and Optus can't manage to rectify the issue.

They've failed to send a technician to me. Their customer service team is hopeless and rude. I was hung up on by their staff. And their technical team is even worse.

I spent over an hour on the phone, getting transferred from department to department until one of the staff members hung up on me saying, and I quote, "nothing can be done".

My experience with Optus has downright been the WORST experience I've ever had with a company. And I would recommend to everyone to steer clear!

Connection TypeWireless

souledtshirts

souledtshirtsFar North Queensland, QLD

I hope you get sued and go bankrupt

So when we bought our NBN, it didn't work for 8 weeks. The customer service was absolutely awful, same thing said 20 times and then 'we will send someone in a week'. After the 8 weeks, it finally worked with absolutely slow speeds, huge traffic and dropouts every month. My dad refuses to change our provider so we are stuck sending you 60 dollars for the most disgusting internet ever. I hope you know im never going to use your service in the future.

Connection TypeWireless

Caleb

CalebPerth, WA

Calling optus for 4 weeks and still not working

4 weeks of calling support almost daily and the service still isn't working. Keep getting the run around, 30 min hold time, transferred/escalated and nobody calls back when they say.

Cruelty free

Cruelty freeMelbourne

Absolutely disgraceful and non existent service....

Phoned regarding service. Was kept on hold for over half an hour. From speaking to other people this is a regular occurrence. Even if their deals were the best, and I don't think they are, this service is not acceptable. Tried using the chat bot service form the website at other times.... no good either. I was transfered to several departments, spoke with several people and on hold for over 30 minutes.

Start DateJune 2019
Connection TypeI don't know
The Woz Review

The Woz ReviewSouth East Queensland, QLD

Optus 500gb Mobile Broadband

I signed up for Optus Wireless for a 500gb special at $68 p/m including a Netgear modem because NBN is only to the node and the copper cables are corroded where I live and always failing.

I was amazed I ran a test using Ookla and it said I was receiving over 120mb per second however during peak times this slowed to 50+ mbps

The service is via a directional external antenna ( cost about $300 ) and pointed toward the Optus Tower we generally have very poor reception for all providers in our area 1 or 2 signal bars at best often dropping out completely

All in all it was a good price and using a mobile broadband service appears to be the best way to go when signal strength is low.

Natasha

NatashaMelbourne

Billing nightmare

I'm very frustrated and disappointed with the service provided by Optus.
Optus have incorrectly billed me for Optus cable broadband service which was terminated due to NBN. I had make number of calls to get this sorted and they have confirmed me it will be credited on the next month bill (pro rata basis). However when I looked at new the bill there is still no credit.
Optus please get your act together
- Bills are confusing and difficult know what the fees are for especially when you have multiple services
- In number of occations I have to wait 30+ minutes to for someone to answer the call
- Bee transferred to 3+ people to get one issue sorted

Optus leaves a bad taste in my mouth everytime.

You would think such a large company would have the resources to hand over privacy details to different departments, whether it's offshore call centers or not, so that valued customers don't have to repeat themselves several times when their patience is already running thin. A network outage leaves me (I work from home) with an option to go an collect a 50GB dongle from the nearest shop front but when they run out of allocated dongles (3 in stock usually by what the store person has told me) all they can offer me is a paid dongle stick which I would then be left to chase Optus for reimbursement and let's be realistic, they will probably try and force a credit instead. Would never recommend Optus to a friend or family.

Start DateSeptember 2018
Contract Type12-month contract
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Mal

MalPerth, WA

Keep away from Optus.

Been on Vivid Wireless for a couple of years, all good. Then Optus took over! OMG what a waste of money! Been having more and more dropouts, on and off all day long. Can't watch Netflix, Amazon etc. Modem doesn't show signal strength any more. At the end of a long chat to customer service the guy said that my area has poor 4g coverage and would I like to cancel my contract!!
Going the NBN route now, but not with Optus.

Start DateJanuary 2016

Neil

NeilSydney, NSW

Please save yourself the headache, use another provider

Customer Service is either non-existent (i.e. you can never speak to anyone even after an hour long wait), or their systems are so convoluted that even after going in to the Optus store my issue wasn't resolved (at the frustration of the Optus employee the poor guy). All I want is access to the my Optus app to check my usage and pay bills, is that really too much to ask? I've tried, phone, email, web chat and physically going in to a store (which was my last ditch attempt at a solution), only thing left to try now is another provider. Bye Bye Optus!!

Start DateOctober 2019

BobBasked

Anyone out there with INDEPENDENT advice about 4G Home Broadband as compared with NBN?

BobBasked

Is it not true to say that nearly all the terrible reviews about NBN are the fault of NBN Co., not so much of the Service Providers (in this case Optus) ? In reading most reviews, it seems that the rollout of the NBN is just another example of a Labor Government's disasters, such as the "pink batts" debacle and the enormously wasteful "Building Education Revolution" (BER).

annie
annie

The roll out of the NBN is a disaster because the Liberal government chose the cheapest option, not the best option which was to be implemented by the previous Labor government!

DIANNE S.
DIANNE S.

....yes. We can blame Uncle Tony for fibre to the node rather than fibre to the house! ....and as for the BER Bob, my school had 6 old demountable classrooms replaced by a state of the art air conditioned 2 story brick building. A lot of tradies, architects and landscapers were kept in full time employment thanks to that program!

BobB

One lucky school amongst the dozens of other unneeded, unnecessery; another ALP waste that could have been so much better utilised. Bit like the current State Lib waste on the CBDSW TRAMS. As for blaming Tony for the NBN, it was more to do with former Comms minister Conroy (ALP) who ignored the advice from Telstra boss Sol that the NBN would be obsolete before halfway done. How true!

Belinda K.

Belinda K.asked

I have switched from Optus to iinet for Internet/Fetch, but the installation has not yet happened. Despite this, my Fetch has been cut off. Can you also cut off WIFI before the new one is installed?
I feel like I've been treated badly - it may give me cause to move my mobile phones as well. please advise what your policy is around this.

Get an answer from our members and Optus representatives