Optus Broadband

ADSL, NBN, Cable, etc...
1.6 from 3,107 reviews

1.6

3,107 reviews
  • Adequate Speeds Yes (33%) · No (67%)

Do not go with Optus

Terrible Service - Don’t Waste Your Time

Start DateApril 2018
TAMC

TAMCGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Optus make a lot of mistakes at the customer's expense

Examples:
* Offering to refund fees and then not refunding them
* Not providing details of options the customer has signed up for. In our case we signed up for Phone Everyday 10 and not WorldSaver Ultimate, but were charged $10 per month for WorldSaver Ultimate and had to pay an additional $40 to cover local phone calls
* Received a SIM card for a new Ultra WiFi Modem with 4G Backup, but not the modem

Start DateFebruary 2000

Will

WillGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Go Elsewhere

I've been on the phone with Optus for 3 weeks now. Dozens of phone calls and no resolution. The speed is extremely patchy with drop outs... speeds as slow is 0.5mbps and on average 6-7mpbs. Customer service always says service working as expected, no fault.

I've wasted hours and hours on the phone so I'm going elsewhere now.

Start DateDecember 2019
JC

JCMelbourne

terrible customer service hung up on me

I wanted to go with Optus NBN plan, when the service guy was told that I will not change to Optus mobile plan at the same time, he said will charge me NBN connection fee whereas the day before he said no connection fee coz I am an Optus customer already, I pointed out the confusion, he immediately hung up on me. What kind of service is that? Does any company need those people to represent and get rid of the customers so they can get paid? I have been with Optus for over 1.5 decades, obviously it means nothing to big companies like Optus

Start DateDecember 2005

Waisting money

I'm with optus NBn since October 2019. The connection is very poor. Allways droping off. I had this issue 6 times within 4 months. Again i have the same issue today. When i talk to coustomers service the are passing the issue with each other. No solution since 3 days.
Don't get any connection with Optus. Very very poor coustomer service and company. Don't waist your time and money with Optus.

Start DateOctober 2019

Liar optus service center

Start DateApril 2020

majorbluey

majorbluey

Fantastic NBN deal for heavy use, including heavy gaming.

I have been with Optus for 2 and a half years. I am on nbn 50 speed pack 3 unlimited data. I have FTTP and have no trouble whatsoever. I am a very heavy gamer. NO drop outs!

Start DateJanuary 2018
Cynthia

CynthiaHunter Region, NSW

Horrendously terrible rip of merchants

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Start DateMarch 2020

Nate

NateSouth East Queensland, QLD

Better service and price available

Start DateAugust 2020
Chris

ChrisPerth, WA

Horrible customer service with ''live'' chat

Spent multiple days trying to have my service cancelled via their Chat service as you cannot call the billing department. Was the most painful experience I've ever had. Avoid at all cost.

Start DateMarch 2018
Data TypeCapped Data
N.Smith

N.SmithPerth, WA

Getting good speeds and customer service was excellent recently

Checked my NBN speed recently and my 100Mbps NBN service was getting 110Mbps. Other checks showing 105Mbps. I also had an issue with my Fetch box and Optus very promptly sent me a replacement unit. My old Fetch box got deactivated a bit prematurely but that was because the courier only delivered one part of the new Fetch box package and marked the delivery of new Fetch box as complete so Optus deactivated the old Fetch box expecting me to connect up new Fetch box. Cannot blame Optus. I have been overall pleasantly surprised with the positive experience.

Dead NBN

First day connected to NBN, it died. Lucky modem came with 4G backup, but not a good start with NBN. Terrible system.
Internet speed....not as advertised. Called Optus and now will have to wait a few days for another technician to come. Disappointing.

Start DateAugust 2020

Maggie

MaggieGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

bad customer service! Privacy explosion

Optus NBN is a joke.

Imagine paying for unlimited data and living in a first-world country and still have an internet connection of a 5th world country. The biggest clown award goes to Optus Broadband. Good job.

Ray

RayVictoria

Loving the Services

the speed and Services are really good so far I'm enjoying my services with the 5g Home broadband. the only thing I would need to improve on is the location of the 5g tower or how the modern finds it. it sometimes drops out or just come to a complete stop

Start DateMarch 2020
George

GeorgeMelbourne

To my fellow Australians do not use Optus

Greg

Greg

Optus broadband

I have been and Optus broadband for only 1 month I was give 160 gb per month this lasted for about 1 week. I contacted customer service and they gave me another 85 gb since then I have received a barrage of TXT and email messages with varying percentage warning most of these supposed usage for are when I have been sleeping or watching tv they could not tell me where this data is going as I have no apps on my phone ( I retained my bigpond account for practical reasons) At this point I would recommend Optus to my worst enemy.

Start DateJuly 2020

Customer service non existant

have called them many times to report no email. Passed from one to another and then strangely get cut off. At least they acknowledged i have a problem with it. No email now for 2 mths. I cancelled my phone service due to really bad customer service and now the nbn too. Never again will i use optus.

Craig

Craigasked

Mobile Broadband

Huawei B818 modem and mobile broadband is extremely unreliable, sometimes it works perfectly at 40M/p/s some times 0.2m/p/s. When you plug in ethernet cable Huawei B818-completely stops working. I want to understand how to fix?

Ananta N.

Ananta N.asked

ADSL

I am trying to cancel Optus service and calling them. But it is really hard to connect with them . I how can I cancel their service without making phone call to them?

Mike P
Mike P

Hi Ananta. None that I know of. I tried using messaging - but then the message app says you need to call 1300343302. So - looks like a long wait on hold ahead of you...
Thanks,

How much to buy the B818 4G WiFi Modem outright

zachwright
zachwright

Hi Ralph,

Optus list the B818 modem as part of a month to month plan with the price being $281 for the first month ($216 for the modem and $65 for the 200GB plan). Due to this, I would believe that $216 would be the RRP for this modem.

You might be better off calling your closest Optus store (if they're still open at all with this pandemic happening) as I have had to go to one of their stores to purchase a modem outright in the past (or in my case, a replacement modem due to dropping my old one and breaking it). I can't remember if I had to prove that I had an existing plan with them already so if you're trying to buy a modem without having a plan be sure to check that you can buy one in that situation first.

Also, if you're currently on one of the Wireless Broadband plans, there is a clause in the Critical Information Summary which says that you can't remove the SIM from your existing device so if you are looking to replace your current device with this modem be sure to check that you can do so.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

Thanks,