Ziegler & Brown Portable Grill

See the Best Gas BBQs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Gone back to Weber. The Zig just can't compete.

With the Ziggy:
The temperature knob on its own can't regulate to a perfect 180 - you need to fiddle with drip tray setting to get it right.
Cold spot near the front of the grill.
Cleaning under the hood is impossible. I decided to take out the screws holding the lid on. Snapped the first stud as it was too tight. Asked BBQ's Galore for advice, offered to send a tech out for a fee. Ended up removing and replacing the stud myself and put the thing on Gumtree. Condition almost like new and not a scratch, accessories include new cart, carry bag, full hotplate never used and pizza stone. No one wants it at $320. Half of what I paid for it. Might have to give it away, but maybe I'd prefer to trash it rather than give someone else the problem.

Even Heat DistributionNo

Can't clean it properly

the cleaning is the problem How do you clean the underside of the lid it is impossibleif you have the lid open you can only clean about 20% of it and of course if it is closed you can't clean it at all it is easy to clean under the burners etc but not under the lid

Purchased at Barbeques Galore for $588.00.

The perfect Barby

Great for cooking roasts, baking, grilling,.
The BBQ is easy to clean, plates are easy to remove, has a great drip tray system.
We use it while caravaning travels well, can use it in any weather, great wind resistance.
Cooks evenly, with lid open or closed, great rig.

Purchased in March 2018 at Barbeques Galore for $450.00.

Even Heat DistributionYes

Best portable BBQ I have owned!

The heat on the full cast iron plate is perfect no hot spots or cold spots!
Windproof too which is great when camping and hot enough to cook with the lid up like a hotplate or when on low shut the lid for the most tender succulent meats.
The perfect BBQ for cooking with such versatility either fast for a quick bite or nice and slow for a treat.
Had a webber before, The Ziggy is so much better quality and more versatile!
10 stars.
Now I will be buying the 3 burner for home!!!!

Purchased in March 2019 at Barbeques Galore for $399.00.

Great for camping

This little Ziggy has some great features which makes it really good to take camping. Like being able to lock the plate down and the lid shut. This is really good if you tend to go on rough tracks off-road. The lid also can go right underneath which makes it a bit less bulky and easier to store if you have limited room.
We thought about buying a Webber Q for camping but in the end decided on the Ziggy, it just seems more versatile being able to cook with the lid up and down. We purchased a full cast iron solid plate for ours as well, Husband prefers it to using the grill, it's great for doing a full cooked brekky (bacon eggs etc).

At home we have a 2 burner Ziggy which we've had for quite a long time now. The baby Ziggy still comes in handy at home especially during Xmas if we have a bunch of extra guests to cook for. And sometimes if I'm wanting to bbq something for dinner when Husband isn't home I often find that I prefer the baby Ziggy, it just seems easier to use and quicker to clean. It does a pretty good roast pork too.

I find the little Ziggy easy to clean, perhaps with the exception of underneath the lid, that is a little more tricky since it slots under the bbq body as you open it. However I don't find that the inside of the lid gets particularly dirty anyway.

I think this is a great little BBQ for camping trips or even for people who have limited room at home or don't need to cook for too many people.

Purchased in October 2017 at Barbeques Galore for $322.95.

Disappointing

Not hot enough, steaks cook too slowly, the wok doesn't get hot enough and is only good for stewing. We spent $430 on the trivet, half hot plate etc....wasted our dough. DON'T buy one.

Purchased in January 2019 at Barbeques Galore for $430.00.

Even Heat DistributionNo

Can live with out it

Bought a baby ziggy four months ago and not impressed poorly made and a problem to clean never been so disappointed with a BBQ before can not get the grease trap off and a screw which keeps the thermostat in place fell out while cleaning not a happy customer stay clear.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Build quality, range of accessories and purchase price were the standout features.

I love how portable this BBQ is for the limited space of our camper trailer. I bought the kit version with the carry bag, trivets and half grill plate. This version is great value for money. Set up is quick and easy and it's even heat and ability to cook with the hood down or up has produced great results with the meat we've cooked on it.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Brother has Webber. Heaps better than Ziegler

Very slow , poor heat distribution. Included flat flat sits on top of the grill. Anything on the flat plate takes forever to cook. Side wings are not on hinges and need to be removed with a screwdriver to fit the cover. I bought this on BBQ galores recommendation only to find out they don’t stock the Webber. Salesman said these were better. Why wouldn’t he? Get a Webber.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Great Home Cooking the easy less mess way.

I bought my portable grill because after moving from a house to a unit I found my big barbeque to big.
So this little one is perfect I had it put on wheels and the webber type top I can do great roasts for the family.
Then I can push it into the garage because it is on wheels and preserve it from the weather.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Thermometer does not work

Have had the thermometer replaced 5 times. Just received another thermometer & is the same. After 15 mins will only reach 140 degrees C Should be up to 220 C One replacement was on a new BBQ but still no good. One was sent from Head Office. Told that all had been tested. Wish I had gone for Webber. So frustrating. BBQ works well
Very disappointed.

Zeigler & Brown the portable BBQ Advantage

I bought this bbq few weeks and have used this multiple times over this summer. This is a really portable bbq which is easy to carry anywhere (especially in its specially designed bag), it is easy to set-up, gets cool quickly and easy to clean. One can set it up on any small fixed and sturdy table.

Great BBQ does the job

Have had this BBQ over the christmas, New year and Aus day celebrations. Performed as expected. The design could have been optimised a little as the oil drip tray can hit the lid (on full open) if not screwed on all the way which reduces the amount of air intake. Steam can also find its way into the thermometer housing if you are not careful.

Worth it for the month but you get what you pay for.

Not a bad little BBQ

I was tossing up between the Weber Baby Q and this Ziegler. I went for the Ziegler in the end and have been happy with it. The heat distribution is not as even as the salesman pitched it, but I guess that may be the same with other BBQ's as well.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Excellent value BBQ for small family or couple

Bought this BBQ a couple of months ago during a Barbeques Galore 25% off sale. It has been used extensively over the summer and the cooking performance has been excellent. Fairly economical on gas too. Steak, chicken, burgers, sausages etc all cook very well. The build quality of the frame seems to be good too. Would recommend.

Great for camping.

Great portable bbq . Brought with stand, carry bag and flat plate all very handy. Easy to use, set up transport and store. Cooked pizza with pizza stone while camping got really hot and base turned out great, nice and brown and crispy. Very happy with our purchase would recommend.

Portable and Powerful

We bought this BBQ during boxing day sale as it is cheaper that weber but has thermostat. We tried it out first on new year eve when couple of friends came over for dinner. everything cooked on this tiny beast came out really juice and tender. We tried lamb,chicken and corn everything cooked perfectly . Grill plate is dishwasher safe which makes cleaning really easy . It only took 10 min for me to make it crystal clean . It is really compact and can fit in small car and not really heavy to carry around. This is one of the must now for our camping or outdoor trips

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Works really well and saves energy

We were using it for a couple of weeks during warm weather after buying it on special from Barbeques Galore. We are very happy with the product and would recommend it. All the meats come out very juicy and tender thanks to the hood, the cooking time is half the usual time what it takes to cook the same in the oven.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Perfect bbq

This is the best bbq in the planet!
We have used it at least twice a week through winter, usually cooking a roast and only went through one bottle of gas.
It cooks everything to perfection, easy to clean, and simple to use, and heat control is acurate.
I will NEVER cook a roast in the oven again.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Love Love Love my Ziggy grill

Was tossing up between the weber baby q and the ziggy. Went with the ziggy for 2 reasons. The first reason was that it's the same price as the weber q and when I went to buy it BBQ's galore had a 20% off sale. The second was that you can cook with the lid open. Used the ziggy for the first time last weekend and was so impressed. Food cooked quickly and tasted amazing. Highly recommend this grill.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Comparing between a baby q 1200 with your Ziggy Any reasons why i should purchase yours. Does look good
The Ziggy has a higher heat output, this can be an advantage if you're cooking in windy weather. Best to have a good look at both in person, for the Q1200 you will have to go with the premium model if you want a thermometer in the lid. In the end it really just comes down to personal preference, we really like how with the Ziggy you can lock the lid and plate in place so that nothing is bouncing around (if travelling rough roads). I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

Our trivets are so far from the flame. We cooked a stir fry last night it took 40 minutes. Pan doesnt get hot. Also takes forever to boil the kettle. We are disappointed as we bought this to replace our camping gad stove. Any suggestions for what we may be doing wrong
Same problem, stir frying is more like stewing.

Has anyone who bought this model successfully boiled water, or cooked anything stovetop-style--eg stew--using the trivets? Could this replace the old Primus camping stove, or do I still need to bring along both?
You can buy an accessory from BBQ galore which transforms this to stove , from memory i think it was 39$ but you can use a single burner or twin , there are so many accessories for this grillDon't waste your money on the trivets, it just takes forever to do its job. Just a shonky up sell as with the aluminium 1/2 plates. The bbq is bloody great with cast iron plate or grill other than that.I've now taken this camping WITH the trivet set so I can answer my own question. Yes it is possible and easy to boil water on a billy, or small saucepan, and it doesn't take long at all if you put the top down (which also acts as a windshield), but your saucepan will need to have a metal (non-melting) handle or a removable handle. I also cooked basmarti rice using the absorption method (texture turned out fantastic) and even percolated coffee on this barbecue. There are two difficulties though: (1) the handle will be scalding hot to touch so you have to be extra careful (compared to using a stove) handling the hot billy, pot or pan, and (2) there is not much clearance at the top so when you slide the bbq cover down, it bumps the top of the pot lid (I ended up having to substitute a small flat metal plate for the lid.) In the end on our camping holiday we mainly used just a single burner stove (with a portable windshield) for general boiling water, and used this just as a bbq--cooking meat and veg both. (BTW every bbq meal turned out perfect.) If you have room in the car this BBQ might be the simplest way to cook meals camping IMO rather than mucking around with cast iron plates or whatever squatting over a campfire. And the same could be said of the Weber BabyQ I guess. If you do buy this one, it probably is worth getting and bringing the trivet set as a backup. I would bring along an additional separate gas or petrol single burner stove too though.

CategoryGas BBQs
Price (RRP) $349
TypePortable
Cooking Plate / Grill MaterialCast Iron
FeaturesGrill, Hooded, Rotisserie Compatible, Temperature Gauge and Warming Rack
Colour / Finish Red