Zodiac MX8

Zodiac MX8

MPN: R0682000

Do not buy this "cleaner".

This cleaner worked for five seasons in a somewhat satisfactory manner, but this year stopped and stopped cold. No amount of fussing, taking apart twice, replacement of a gearbox on the right side could move this piece of junk. It is completely gone and Zodiac should not be selling this junk to people. I invested over $110 in parts and replacement and it still would not function.

Purchased in April 2013.

Noise Level
Pool Size Small
Functionality
Small Debris Cleaning
Large Debris Cleaning
Wall and Step Cleaning

It's early days, but great so far.

I've used it now for two weeks and my pool has never looked cleaner. Doesn't miss any areas like previous suction cleaners and cleans around the top perimeter also. Two minor issues, it beached itself a couple of times and got hang up on the centre of a short radius step, but no big deal. All in all it's a very good cleaner for the cost and in conjunction with the cyclonic leaf catcher it makes my maintenance chores a bit easier. The leaves don't clod up the skimmer like before and I can see when it's full. Very happy with it.

Purchased in January 2019 at Pool and Spa Warehouse for $619.00.

Noise Level
Pool Size Large
Functionality
Small Debris Cleaning
Large Debris Cleaning
Wall and Step Cleaning

Don't buy one

Had two mx8.. one older modeland one newer model.. when it works its works and move to nice.. but the other 80% of the time u go to strip and clean or throw money to fix it.. my opinion is that less moving parts will be more efficient.. the mx8 has too many moving parts.. and needs to much vacuum to push though if it's too dirty..

Date PurchasedJun 2018

When it works as it is designed to, it is a good cleaner.

Purchased my first MX8 6-7 years ago, but it packed it in within 6 months. To Zodiac's credit, they replaced it without any hassles. Unfortunately, the one they replaced it with also packed it in, just after the warranty period had expired. Luckily, I could replace some parts with the first one that I had to keep it going. I attempted to contacted Zodiac via email to inform them of my disappointment about their cleaner not lasting, but never received any reply. I have since repaired the unit myself with the tune up kits you can purchase on eBay for around $110+ at least 3 times and I am now due for another one. Getting to the stage where it would be cheaper to look at other cleaner options that are available. For the price you pay for the cleaner, you would expect it to last a lot longer than it does, before repairs are required.

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Only worked for first day, then parts keep falling off!

Hired a pool guy to set up the machine for me just in case I messed up the connections. The MX8 worked fine for the first day, then second day it stucked in the centre of the pool. Pool him out found out one of the wheel fell apart!
Put them back on placed in the pool again, less than 15min broken again!

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Hi Denny. Sorry to hear this. May I asked if you have called our Customer Care team? We can get this sorted for you. Thanks.

LOVE mx8

I have a large free formed concrete pool. I started with baracuda's each one clapped out within 12 months and would constantly get stuck. I have had my MX8 for approx 13 years and love it. I now need to replace the old girl and would buy nothing else. Loyalty rewards would be a great idea.

Date PurchasedJun 2005
Hi Chris. Thank you for your 5 star review. Happy Swimming!

This is my 2nd MX8

The 1st MX8 lasted 5 years, i didnt replace any parts, no tune up kits in that time. It did start looking a bit faded and old. Eventually it just stopped all together.
I decided on a brand new one given it comes with new hoses and within 2hrs of it back in my pool, it had my pool back to its normal clean condition. That familiar lapping of water as it cleans to the waterline.
Mine is a fibreglass pool which i think the MX8 is well suited.
Zodiac should introduce a Loyalty Bonus :)

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Hi Phil. Thank you for your 5 star review! Happy Swimming!

two Strikes....not going in for third

Bought the first mx8 elite ten days ago. Worked great for first hour. Then it just stopped working. The spinners were stuck, and the wheels wouldn’t turn. I immediately took it back to Leslie’s Pool and she said that it was a very big seller for them and hadn’t had any returned or heard anything bad about them. Leslie’s checked the unit and agreed that for an unknown reason the spinners were definitely stuck! Because of her experience with other pool owners loving this machine, I exchanged it...hoping it was a fluke. I got it home..... it ran well for about two hours.....then...same issue! It just stopped working. Checked for a plug...etc. I am returning this product tomorrow and will not be exchanging it for the same product.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Hi Linda, this the Australia version of Product review. If you are able to place this review on the US version, the Customer Care team will be happy to help you. Thanks.

excellent for 1st year

We rarely have leaves , so initially the cleaner was excellent. Worked well and fast for about 2 yrs. Gears wore out after 2 years, had it serviced. constantly needs new tracks which are expensive. Now it doesn't work at all again It's an expensive unit with a short life. Too much to go wrong!

Date PurchasedDec 2013
Hi Fev, Sorry to hear that you had these issues. Could you DM your details? Thanks!

Good job but limited life

Got this nearly 5 years ago for $550 to replace a Kreepy Krawly and it did a much better job because it got right in the corners, up the sides and the hose did not stick in the roman ends as the Kreepy did much of the time. It does not handle large leaves or stiff twigs (jams) but this was not a problem for me as we don't get a lot of leaf debris except in autumn and I clear any big stuff with a pool net after a windy day.
It DOES HAVE A LOT OF MOVING PARTS AND THEY WEAR OUT. They are easy to replace but are expensive - $120-130 for a full refurb kit and it is not worth buying individual parts as they are very very pricey. I have done the refurb twice, and while the first time lasted 15 months, the second lasted only 9 months. I did a track replacement in between as well. I surmise that either the material quality has gone down and the parts wear quicker, or the non-replaceable parts of the device have worn and impose extra strain on the replacements. Either way the machine's life is limited and I recommend only doing one refurbishment and assume you will get a total of four years out of the MX8. Factor that into the price..
It did do a great job and if Zodiac could improve its durability I would purchase again.
I now have a Zodiac G20, bought a month ago, using the hose that came with the MX8 (that's a handy interchange) and so far it is fine, if not quite as effective as the MX8. However, I expect a longer life and little maintenance expense.

Date PurchasedDec 2013
Hi, Thank you for your review. We have noted your Feedback and appreciate taking the time to let us know. Thanks.

Can’t handle Leaves or Twigs

We have had this pool cleaner for about 5 years now. 2 full rebuilds and it still doesn’t work. We live in a leafy area and our pool gets lots of leaves. Gum leaves. Green and brown. If they are any longer than a few centimetres then they get stuck and the whole unit stops. If a small twig lands in the pool, it will clog the cleaner. I have had enough. I want something I can pretty much set and forget, not something I have to check all the time and pull stuff out of. I litterally have to unclog it every hour at least. It really is an awful cleaner. It makes me rethink buying anything from Zodiac. It’s just not fit for purpose.

Date PurchasedOct 2012
Hi Pete, Sorry to hear that you have had these issues. We do try and give as much information as we can on our website, but each pool can be different. We have listed that the following: Cleans floor and walls Best suited for small and medium debris Not suitable for long leaves i.e. palm leaves Please call 1300 763 021 if you would like to discuss other options. Thanks.With all due respect I was not told any of that when I bought the machine. Of course you won't assist other than to sell me something new. What options do you have for larger leaves? Truthfully I think my faith in Zodiac quality is gone, but tell me what you'd use for a pool with gum leaves in it?Hi Pete. Our Units are sold through our Zodiac Dealers. We are here to assist you, not to sell anything. Sorry to hear that the information wasn't passed on to you at the time of purchase. We have a few different units at different price points. Here is the Link to show you the information only - https://www.zodiac.com.au/cleaner If you would like to speak to someone regarding your current Cleaner, please let me know. Thanks.

Constantly have to watch unit

This is probably good if you have no twigs or leaves larger than 10mm. Anything bigger and it gets jammed in the track or impeller so you have to constantly clean the unit. That means removing leaves jamed in the impeller unit and leaves or small twigs caught in the track. Re-priming the unit etc etc. If you try to leave the unit unattended it will pick up somehting and just stop moving. It just cannot be used where there are trees or leaves that land in the pool. The review on the net is unbelieveale when the person says it can handle twigs. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. This unit is definitely not fit for it's purpose and Zodiac should stop making claims that are rubbish.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Hi, Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Cleaner. May I ask if you have spoken with our Customer Care team? Thanks.

Third set of tracks in 6 months

I have just been advised by customer support that I should take the cleaner out of the pool twice a week and wash it, leave it out for a while and put it back. It has one job.. to clean the pool! my last zodiac lasted 10 years - there has to be a design fault with the tracks which zodiac need to own up to, fix, put out a recall to all users and replace.
On a positive note, when the tracks stay on, it works well.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Hi Helen, sorry to hear that you are having these issues. Can we get your contact details and give you a call to assist? Thanks.

Waste of money

MX8, Every day I have to put the tracks back on and it only cleans one end of the pool. I have to guide it. $799 A$ - never again. My pool supplier has given up on it. You seem to have a lot of bad reviews. Back to a manual operation.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Hi Evie, Sorry to hear that you have had these issues. May I ask if you have spoken with our Customer Care team directly? thank youNo but I will, thanksHi Evie, If you would like to send your contact details either by Inbox on our FB Page or PM on Product review, we can call you. Please let me know, Thanks.

Zodiac MX 8 is an expensive overpriced Lemon !

The Zodiac MX8 cost $695 and was much dearer than previous cleaner i had for many years, but advised it was a premium cleaner by the Store Captain Nemo's at Helensvale.
It has now broken down 7x times, 5x times The Store replaced gears, and 6th time referred me to Zodiac, they sent out a tune up kit, to replace all the moving parts with better quality ones (so they must know it was a Lemon and not fit for Purpose), now they will not do anything about it and wont reply to my emails, so i have no choice but to take it up with the office of Fair Trading and ACCC, I am seeking a refund under Australian Consumer Law so i can buy a cleaner that is fit for purpose, works and is not a lemon.
Do not buy a Zodiac cleaner more hassle than they are worth, and extremely poor customer service

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Hi Bruce. Sorry to hear of these issues. I would like to look into the emails that you are not been replied to for you. Can you please PM on Product Review with your email address so we can search for this for you? Zodiac have provided a Tune Up Kit as a way to refresh worn parts so you don’t have to worry about purchasing a new unit, you can just refresh your MX8™ Gen 2 with our factory tune-up kit, making your pool cleaner like new again! As with any working parts they will wear. As a Global Company, we do not provide lemon products.I was told by Zodiac on the phone that you have had a lot of trouble with the gears and moving parts in the MX8 and the Tune up kits is to replace the old ones with much better quality ones, but they too are now failing, so it is a Lemon after all !Hi Bruce. The description as above is the reason as to why we have provided the Tune Up Kit. If you would like us to help you further please advise. Sorry you have not been happy with your Cleaner.

Very pleased with Zodiac MX8

I have been very pleased with the Zodiac MX8 recently introduced to my fibreglass in-ground pool. It was easy to install and went to work wandering around the pool immediately, producing a spotless pool within hours. It handles leaves and all other debris which blows into the pool without difficulty. Based on my experience I recommend it for similar applications.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Hi Jim, Thank you so much for your 5 star review!! Happy Swimming.

So far, I could never recommend the MX8 Elite

So far, I am not impressed in the least with this over priced cleaner! I had a cheap hayward for 12 years! Yes, I did rebuild it twice in that time. I could have rebuilt it a third time, decided against it, the shell was falling apart. I got all new pool equipment (variable speed pump), and pebble plaster, might as well get a new cleaner too.

The kid from Leslie's who install all the new equipment recommended the Zodiac MX8 Elite for the "new pool". I bought it. It did not work. Turned the suction on full blast, barely moved!! Took the hose off, suction was VERY strong. Changed the RPMs of the pump, from 1850 to 3000 (the tech said at 1850 the MX8 should creep, he set the cleaner to 2450, said that would be plenty for it move steadily - both are a big NOPE!). Even at 3000 and full blast suction, no improvements.

I called the Zodiac tech support, went over the entire story. They had me run a lot of tests, took the vacuum apart, checked the gears, etc...after which all the moving parts did seem to move more freely. I got my hopes up.

Nothing. Same thing, had to have the suction full blast and it still stopped and/or just spun in place. The Zodiac support said to take it back, it had faulty gears was the excuse I got.

I took it back, got a new one. It runs a little better, not doing the spinning in circles as much. I still have to have the suction on full suck, but it still gets stuck every few feet or at the bottom of the wall. Turning the suction where it should be (where the hayward would be zooming around) and it's dead, no movement, nothing.

My question is, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong or are these just over priced dead weights? If I can't figure this out I will be switching back to a company that seems to at least be reliable with cheaper long lasting equipment. I want to like this cleaner, I really do, after $524.99, I REALLY want to like this cleaner. So far I am beyond frustrated and hate that I have wasted so much time with TWO different MX8 Elite vacuums, both just as worthless as the other.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Hi Brian, Sorry to hear that you are having issues. Unfortunately, this is an Australian Website, if you would like to remove this and repost on your site of origin, the team will be able to address your issues. Thanks!I assume these expensive, but non working vacuums are manufactured in the same place, AU, US, EU, where ever they are sold, they are still over priced and apparently very cheaply made.Sorry Brian, we cant really discuss pricing etc as we do not use the same currency but we are one global company, you are correct. However, our enquiries and therefore solutions are dealt with by region. Sorry I cant be more helpful. Thanks.

Small Rocks and debris keep getting stuck inside engine and mx8 stops!!!!

Small Debris keep getting stuck in between the engine and lower engine assembly and mx8 stops working after that. Paid over 400 bucks for this. Horrible design. The gap in the on the engine and engine assembly is to big so small rocks get stuck there. Can't find anything on how to fix this issue

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Hi David, May I ask if you have spoken to our Customer Care team?

What a complete waste of money.

Ok you asked me to be factual... I bought the unit as our pool guy recommended it. 6months after teething problems the unit was sent back to your factory to get replacement tracks, again four months later, same thing and again and again. Surprise surprise the unit tracks just kept slipping and it was returned to your factory yet again. Collected from the pool shop and said this was not fixed? No, sorry warranty ran out whilst in for repairs but they will offer you a new unit for $485. as a one off deal. Take a walk. Never again. You say replacement parts have warranty? Seriously, then why refuse to replace replaced parts?? Btw, the pool shop no longer sells Zodiac.

Date PurchasedSep 2015
Hi Riverine. We would like to discuss this further with you. Replacements parts definitely have warranty and warranty does not run out during a repair. Can you please send a PM with your location and phone number. Thanks.

Brand new installed by my pool service.

Had another type for 15 years..worked great every day..just wore out i guess. My pool service installed this mx8 elite and it worked for 4 hours and then just lays there at the bottom of the pool. If it failed so fast imagine in a month? Pick it up and get it out of here and refund my 650 dollars.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Hi Gary, May I confirm where you are located? Thanks.i am in bradenton fl..my pool service, the water works, in sarasota recommended this product..it worked great..for one day. then it sat there..i looked online at your manual and tried everything i could..i called them. they came out tonight. after 6 days of my pool getting filthy. and they said they dont know why it isnt working and that he had installed a few of them..took it away..my other pool sweep i had for over 15 years and it worked every day til the parts went and they said they did not want to fix it and to buy this mx8. so many people on the blog had trouble with it..i dont want to go through this again..Hi Gary. Unfortunately, this is the Australian Product Review. The US has a separate version of this Review Site. If you would like to PM your details, I could email to our US Care team? This review would need to be reposted there. Thanks.