Horrible customer service and useless call centre operators

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 20, 2018

Applied for a credit card 7 weeks ago, submitted all required information (identity and payslips) then. have been contacted 5 times since to ask for more information that was already submitted before. Every time you have to deal with Indian call centre people who are hard to understand and have no common sense. Most frustrating application i have ever experienced, in contrast was approved for a black credit card with ANZ in a few days vs this constant irritation from call centre operators. Will never consider another citibank product due to their horrible and frustrating customer service. Hope cancelling this card is not as painful as opening.

• 1 comment

Citibank have stolen my money - shame on Citibank

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 18, 2018

I opened an account with Citibank in March 2018. Two weeks ago in early May 2018 Citibank sent me a letter saying they were closing my account. I asked them why they were closing it and they would not give me a reason. They just said they could close it for no reason. I went in to look at my account today and transfer my money out of their bank. They have removed the option for me to get a 'one time pin' to withdraw my money. They do not have details of where to transfer my money and have effectively taken my money without cause. I have lodged a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman - will see if that has any effect.

MELBOURNE

• 7 helpful votes
Private message

One star because you can't give zero

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2018

I am unfortunate enough to have a credit card with this lot. High interest rates combined with terrible customer service. New card lost in the mail months ago, can't get any help with a replacement. Shifted me back to paper statements for no good reason and charging me $2 each month for the privilege. Again can't get anyone to explain or fix. Offshore customer service staff are absolutely useless. Now looking for a new bank.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Citibank Australia: Good and Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 06, 2018

The Good:
- International Transactions have low fees and good exchange rates.
- The contact centre is actually pretty good. They're in the Philippines and they do reasonably well IMO.

The Bad:
- The mobile app is TERRIBLE. The worst banking app I've used. I uninstalled it and use the mobile browser now, but even that is kinda bad. It's bad enough to counter the good things about the bank.
- Debit cards expire after 12 months so as a traveller, I have to watch them constantly.

melbourne

• 2 helpful votes

Bank of Lies

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 05, 2018

Recently My NRI linked account from citibank has been suspended without any notice, they initially said Reserve bank of India had asked them to submit address verification document called KYC documents if not they suspend, when i asked them whether RBI acturally direct to do so I mean suspend my account, they said yes, but when i acces the actual RBI statement there was no such request from RBI to suspend account, infact all the staements regarding my address are there with Citibank when i orginally applied to start the account, so instead of they prodcuing that document they made lie to ask customer to submit and if not suspend at their terms, the customer support intially said 2 hours to fix it, it went so for another 12 hours again they said it will be fixed within 6 hours, now 24 hours had passed incompentent bank is making more lies and excuses and my account is still suspended they said they working on it, yes they working on a simple verification for last 24 hours.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Private message

LIARS and THIEVES - Underwriters for Virgin credit cards - Destroy credit rating with lies for no re

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 04, 2018

This bank refuses to answer correspondence and then lies about receiving it. I have sent payment with a letter in the same envelope disputing charges. You ring and get put through to the Indian or Filipinio based call centre who simply say they did not receive the correspondence. The payment in the same envelope gets processed, yet they lie and say they never received the letter. They then put false claims that there is an unpaid charge on the credit card to a credit reporting agency. Of course, they do not adjust it if you make a payment. Absolutely irresponsible with peoples credit. LIARS and THIEVES. Applying for a Virgin Credit Card - don't!! Very surprised that Sir Richard Branson has associated with this company.

Private message

Something wrong with their customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 04, 2018

Tried to write an email regarding to some question i have about international transactions. Didn't get any response at all. I have never experienced this in other banks.

melbourne

Verified Customer

Worst banking experience of my life

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 03, 2018

This has been the worst banking experience of my life, I am absolutely distraught after 2 months of trying to withdraw a large sum of money from an online saving account (normal kind, not a term deposit) only to have every request to update my linked account cancelled by Citibank with no notification or explanation, when the only way to withdraw money is through a linked account. I have now been on the phone for over 2 hours begging for help from their call centre to access my money. This is so stressful and devastating. Going to go to the ombudsman next, but cannot believe this.

I have experiences with almost every Australian bank and several of the big internationals and have never experienced anything like this. Absolutely avoid this appalling bank.

Worst banking experience

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 30, 2018

This is a terrible bank, with a terrible reputation, and I should have known. I've had call centre operatives hang up on me because their English is so poor they cannot possibly comprehend foreign names, or whole sentences in English. That's not their fault. We need to stop funding these corporate banking pariahs.

Sydney

Good bank overall

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2018

Citibank is awesome with: Citiplus account (in Australia and if you travel overseas) , credit cards and savings.
Citibank is bad with: Home loan rates are not competitive (like all big 4 really) and Qantas points for every purchase have been chopped lately.
Overall customer service is good although they are in the Philippines

Private message

Duplicated transactions, overcharge your account, worst customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2018

I am so surprised to see my account was over debited more than AUD 1000. There is one duplicated transactions. Same amount, same time debit twice. I mentioned Citi bank should credit money back to my account. They refused to do that and asked me to contact the other party. They told me "If the other party don't want to refund money, you will lose your money. "I am so shocking to hear that. I only authorise one transaction. It is not reasonable for paying the same transaction twice. As a bank, you should protect your customer's money. I already report this duplicate transaction and they should investigate the transaction. Their customer service are based on Indian. Not bank industry knowledge and not professional at all. We paid AUD 400 deposit when we lived in HongKong Hotel. After we checked out, HongKong Hotel release money to our account. However, Citi bank still hold the money. They told me that It need take more than 20 days to clear the funds. I don't think it is right at all.
What a terrible bank!

rutherglen

• 1 comment
  • 9 helpful votes

They should be included in the Royal Commission

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 26, 2018

I have been with citibank since 1993 but no more.. Charge more fees than other banks ,impossible to get any sense out of phone calls as they all go to an overseas call centre who have no idea of customer relationships and treat you like their doing you are the problem.
Be wary

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Not recommended. In fact, run the other way.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 24, 2018

Also worst rate on the market, worst customer service. I'm not sure how I got lured into their web in the first place.

I've been a customer of this institution for many years and when you have money they crawl up your back side. However, if you hit a glitch, they enter into lock stock tactics. I've since rectified my accounts and they have inactivated my online access and have been sending me threatening letters for months despite everything being up to date now. There was no notice to me of the inactivation of my online access and my statements are all online therefore I can't access my statements - my personal information. It's impossible to talk sense or practicality to them, I'd rather not waste my time. I will be going to the ombudsman.

• 2 comments
  • 8 helpful votes

DO NOT USE THIS BANK

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2018

Do not trust this bank. There is something seriously wrong.
My partner has been a customer of Citibank for over 10 years.
He is from Malaysia and has been living and working in Australia for 5 years.
He has a loan in Malaysia that he has paid every month by transferring from his CitiBank account to his Malaysian bank account.
Normally this transfer takes 2 days to clear.
For the first time, two months ago, the international transfer was stalled for TWO WEEKS.
Citibank's first explanation? "It's the Malaysian Bank."
We contact the Malaysian Bank. They say: "No, it's not us."
Then we contact Citibank and ask why the delay. They say: "We need to verify the purpose of the transfer."
We say: "But the purpose has not changed ever since the transfers first started more than 5 years ago."
The money is eventually transferred (2 weeks late.)
We were not happy, but thought maybe this is a one-off and decided to try them again.
This month, the transfer was delayed again and the same phone calls and messages started asking about the purpose of the transfer.
Citibank says: "We are investigating all transfers to that Malaysian Bank as part of an international money laundering investigation."
My partner earns minimum wage and works in a factory.
I say to Citibank: " Cancel this transaction immediately and return funds."
They say: "That will take 5 days."
This is the most outrageous excuse I have ever heard for freezing up money for which I suspect either Citibank or an agent is using the funds to earn money. This is THEFT
My question is: if someone is being investigated for suspected money laundering, can a bank legally freeze money without a court order? And surely investigations of this type would be done externally through government or police?
If that isn't criminal behaviour, I don't know what is.
Something has changed recently with this bank and they are breaking the law.
DO NOT TRUST THEM

Verified Customer

Terrible experience! Dishonest practices!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2018

Got a personal loan with Citibank and was offered a promotional rate. However every month I was asked an extra $400.00 on top of my interest rates due. Been trying to get clarification to no avail. Even had call bank people telling me they couldn't calculate interest rateinally got transferred to a supervisor after threatening to take the issue to the financial ombudsman.

Even tough I paid every month, they didn't lodge one of my payments for $650 and sent me to the creditors instead, which is likely to af. I have been harassed every month despite having overpaid and calls come at all times inclfect my credit rating. They call all the time inuding early weekend days. I have been spending hours on the phone trying to get the issue corrected and they insist nothing is wrong and refused to acept a copy of my payments from the Commonwealth. Finally got transferred to a supervisor and still nothing is being done to correct their own mistakes.

Technical problems - Every month I try to access my online account and them rarely recognize my password, which I know is accurate, so I have to call Citibank each time I want to check my account to have the issue fixed. On top of all this, they insist in allocating passwords on the my email statements and even those I have already downloaded and saved into my Documents folder, which I find very invasive and believe is done more to stop clients from keeping copies of evident mistakes than safety.

• 4 comments
  • 71 helpful votes
Private message

I closed the account the same day I activated

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 11, 2018

Opened a Citibank account because I plan to travel overseas at the end of the month and they promise no fees.
A few days after opening I receive an email with a PDF attachment asking me to open it and enter my personal details. Of course I would never open such an attachment so I contact citibank instead. Citibank confirm that they did not send this suspicious attachment requesting personal info and ask that I forward the email. I send it on but hear nothing about it since.
Today I received the new card and activate it.
I try to test the card for an online purchase and receive a message "your credit card appears to be issued outside Australia please try a different card". I contact Citibank, after 3 phone calls and pressing option after option I finally manage to get through to a real person. I'm told the merchant doesn't accept the master card because it's linked to a debit and not a credit account. I try my NAB debit visa and it works fine. I contact the merchant and they confirm it accepts debit and credit and refer me back to Citibank. I contact Citibank and after 20 mins on hold they suggest I use my NAB card for this merchant! I try to move past this and contact Citibank (again 3 phone attempts) to set up PayID. Citibank inform me that I need to set this up directly via the PayID website. I have other accounts set up for PayID and know this needs to be done via your bank. I explain this to the representative but she guides me to the PayID website and of course there is nowhere to set up PayID, caught out and not sure what to do she hangs up on me! I call Citibank again this time to close the account. What a complete waste of time and resources. There is no way I can risk travelling overseas with this lack of customer support, not to mention hours of international phone calls. I'll pay the extra fees & use my regular account overseas.

New Coles Mastercard FARCE

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 11, 2018

I have had a Coles Mastercard for over 12 years, never had any problems accessing my account or my statements. Since CitiBank have taken over its been an absolute crap fight to be able to go on the online centre or accessing my statement. Very reluctantly I downloaded the Adobe Reader App to access my account, I could then open it but cannot print it. We travel around Australia full time and I always like to have the paper statement to check off my receipts and make sure I know when it's due. No such luck, ended up email it to my genius of a son to see if he could print it, amazing, hahah he couldn't either, after much working out he ended up turning into another PDF and email it back to me and then I could print it. Every time I want to go into the online service centre I cannot access it, I put in my username and then it won't recognise the password, changed the password and received an email to tell me that I was successful in changing the password, when I tried to go into the centre again, surprise, surprise, it didn't recognise my new password. Ended up with a text and a temporary password, opened my account but when I went to open my recent statement, it told me that it was unavailable to try later, an hour later tried again with my new password and Lo and behold it didn't recognise the password. How in the hell do they manage to stuff everything up, I am seriously considering to tell them what to do with their Mastercard, it has something to do with "where the sun don't shine".

• 2 comments
  • 7 helpful votes

Atrocious APP

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 08, 2018

Atrocious APP that wont work if you travel overseas.

Philippine customer service that think that Manila is the center of the universe and are ignorant to know what time difference is between Australia and Philippines.

Hate that i can not see any transaction being made or pending if you use the mc network.
It will only appear after the transaction has been cleared.

Mc rates are not the same as the mc rates from their website.

Try Macquarie instead.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

jersey

Take 25 minutes to close an account

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2018

I called them to close my visa card after paying off the balance. The Citibank customer service representative kept asking me "Do you want to close the account" then put me on hold for 20 minutes and asked the same question again. I demanded her to close my account.

Verified Customer

Bank has good offers. But the people dealing with is horrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2018

I applied credit card balance transfer. Expected the amount at least close by what I asked for. But they issued less than a half amount. And I called them and they were saying this is the best I can get. And they said they can't consider my full salary because there is a overtime and allowances they called my employer. Employer wants authorisation from me. But no one asked me for authorasation and they decided my application outcome. And the balance transfer fee is different from what they are saying in website. When I ask about that they saying this is good offer. That should be decided by me not them.
And the worst thing is customer care people has problem with English.
My self I am from non-English speaking country. But I can say I feel so comfortable when speaking with English speaking born customer service.
Totally devastated.