Stay away no service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2019

Have been with this bank for years service is the worst I have ever received have made a compliant and even the case manager never returns your calls or does what they say stay clear of this bank.
My next step will be to email Alan Machet maybe then I will receive some service sad you have to resort to this.

Don't even apply.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 16, 2019

I've a perfect credit history and a well paid professional job and still denied for a loan. Seriously how do they make money as a bank. And the process was slow with systems that barely worked. Now my credit history has a failed application on it. What the hell?

Sydney

• 5 helpful votes

Don't bank with them

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 02, 2019

I have been heavily banking with Citibank for for a few years and has been a big mistake.
Now they close their best branch in Park Street in Sydney and you start to think why they are closing a branch in the middle of the CBD close to everything, to open an online saver it just to take minutes now it takes days and try deal with the customer service to have updates is just a pain like their internet banking.
We complain about the big 4 but honestly the royal commission should look after this bank as not sure why they are still open here providing a very bad customer service that it is just looking nice on their products on the website.

Shitybank x 10

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 24, 2018

I have been with this bank for this time less than 6 months after being referred by a work college...having been a previous home loan customer 20 years ago
I joined to transfer money overseas for their 'no fee' transactions to bypass Western Union ...another hold you to ranson organisation...Online transfers with Citibank take dayssss and dayyys....i cant believe an online transfer is not instantaneous in this era....they also have the cheek to blame your Aussie bank without even investigating....Be Warned!!!

Melbourne

Major problems with Citibank - avoid

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 20, 2018

I have been with Citibank for a few months, and am closing the account ASAP. I have had very significant problems with Citibank for several months. Dreadful customer "service", for want of a better term. (Maybe good disservice is a better phrase.) Calls not returned, assurances broken, terrible systems, contradictory advice that sometimes disagrees with the terms and conditions. I'm attempting to transfer all my funds out but the bank says "I'm sorry, we can not (sic) process your request at the moment. Please try again later." Why not? How much later? I avoid going into the bank websites as much as possible as every access increases the risk of hacking. Emails are nice. Certainly secure message are good for sensitive matters, such as citing an account number. But routine matters are best dealt with by email. Citibank rarely sends emails. I have suffered and will suffer financial loss. Fortunately, remedies exist. It's not a question of if I will win but more how much I will be paid. At one stage the amount was a significant six figures, now less. I’m not persuaded that Citibank is fit to have a business in Australia.

Shocking Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2018

Tried signing up for new credit card. After 4 months of continuously having to follow up call them I kept getting told they’d received everything and would call me within 2 business days. Months later now I’ve heard nothing back and with every call I had to take the initiative to make the stadd member had no clue what was going on. Shocking service!

Horrible Global Currency Account

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

Honestly, stay far, far away from Citibank. The words Customer Service and Citibank are two that should never be placed together. I changed my number immediately upon arriving overseas, nowhere does it say this, but they will not send you any confirmation texts to add new payees for 3 business days. I am now stuck unable to pay an invoice as Citibank will block my new number for 3 BUSINESS days (Thursday-Monday) before I can use it to verify new payees.

Firstly, how many banks have such an overly complex system to add a new payee.

Secondly, why can customer service not override this and assist you verifying a new payee over the phone?

They have lost yet another customer. I cannot believe anyone in their right mind would stay with this bank. Absolutely terrible.

Stay far away from Citibank.

Private message

This is the worst bank ever - stay away!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

I highly recommend this bank to anyone who wishes to be treated terribly. Worst bank who offers no resolution to clients when funds go missing in transit for weeks via transaction in and suggest they help you but pass the blame onto another department where you repeat yourself like a mad person. Foreign call centres, no concern. Again, stay away if you want to have any sanity left.

Worst experience ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2018

Their customer service is shocking . It's taken them nearly 2 weeks to process a simple credit card application. Nobody there has any idea whats going on.

Mitcham, Victoria

• 1 comment
Private message

Too long to set up and get started. Problem or plan?

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2018

I recently came into some money and wanted to invest in a Term Deposit for 12 months. I commenced the process on November 3 and was finally issued with a Debit Card on November 20. When I transferred money to them from another bank they had decreased their 3% p.a. offering to 2.45%. They dropped their rates the day before.
In these times, why does it take so long to set up an account(s)???
I now have to go through this same process with another financial institution, as I won't be leaving my money with Citibank.
Very, very frustrating...

• 1 answer
Private message

Rather give my money to complete strangers, at least you get a thank you. No service, will not accep

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2018

Go into their branch and they will not serve you, treat you like an inconvenience. Try to call them on the phone but the machine just takes you in loops impossible to get through to talk to someone. Closing all my accounts and I'd advise you to do the same.

• 3 helpful votes

STAY AWAY OR YOU WILL ROBBED LIKE ME

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

This so called bank takes weeks to transfer money. They will debit your account but the money goes into the ether. You loose access to your funds and any interest. Their customer service is non existent. If you want to be frustrated, angry and robbed then join Citi? Highly incompetent! Stay away from Citistuffup for your own piece of mind!!!!.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 question
Private message

How hard for Citibank to send an automatic reply to trying to open an existing online account?

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2018

Have opened an online account - cant get into it waiting for an id number to get into ut !!

Service is non existent.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2018

The Citi bank experience has gone for good. The number of dissatisfied customers trying to resolve issues at the Sydney town hall branch has to be seen to be believed. They have removed all ATM's from the building making the simple task of checking if your card is working by showing its balance is now impossible. Many people would use the Citi bank card because of its low fee structure. My advice to anyone thinking of getting a Citi bank card would be to get a big 4 bank debit card and pay the 3% ATM withdrawal fee each time you use it overseas. I'm sorry Citi bank, I'm one customer you'll never see again. If you're thinking of doing business at the Chatswood branch don't bother, it's now closed.

Perth

• 1 question
  • 2 answers
  • 8 helpful votes

Hopeless Slow

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

Do not even bother with this bank. The fee free deals might lure you but don't even bother... All the support is in the Philippines with no Australian call centers or chat centers, they do not do batch processing over the weekend. They only process once a day which means if you got a late payment on Friday you will not receive it until Monday or even Tuesday. I will be closing my account ASAP and tell everyone to keep clear of them. Do the right thing and support an Australian bank such as Commonwealth or NAB.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Stuff up in reward redemption

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

I had been with the bank for more than 10 years. Previously I redeemed Coles vouchers and they post them to me without incident. This time with the evoucher it has taken more than 4 weeks. They were sent to me by email asking me to open by downloading Adobe Reader. The Adobe Reader was unable to be downloaded so the voucher is unable to be accessed. Still in negotiation with Citibank Rewards - frustrating

Mortdale

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer
  • 6 helpful votes

Not REWARDED

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2018

I'm usually happy with Citibank, but lately it has been difficult to make enquiries on the phone. It takes several attempts to get to talk to a real person. No obvious "press x if you wish to talk to SOMEONE", I can not imagine being overseas with a problem and trying to get action taken ASAP.
I redeemed an e-voucher form the REWARDS site, I was told the damn thing was sent to my email address and twice I had to call to tell them I had not received it. Before this new system I had vouchers (paper and the cards) by mail. No worries...
Now, using electronic options you imagine it would be a lot easier, no way! the worst thing is that you finally get to someone in another continent. They are polite and try their best to be helpful, but after 30 minutes of trying to get to them you are already frustrated and try hard not to lose it with them. The system is not working for all the complaints listed.
Hey CITIBANK! I am not happy and I'm very close to close my account held since 1996.
Fix this or you are going to lose customers!!!!!
I haven't received my e-voucher yet..I will update

Private message

will not be doing any banking here again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 02, 2018

I just wanted to transfer the balance of my credit card onto a Citibank interest free card, so I didn’t have to pay so much interest on my balance. Recived 8 calls , made 5,calls got transferred to different divisions 6 times, website would not let me upload any docs, submitted 8 seperate pieces of income evidence to an email that originally bounced.After wasting two whole days with meaningless correspondance withdrew my application.I went to another bank and was approved in an hour, taking about ten minutes to complete my application. Never again Citi bank Maybe teach staff how to process applications as an idea!

Cannot verify who I am

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 23, 2018

I have an account with citibank for over 10 years, and have always used a cheque book to have access to this account. I received a letter saying they are not doing cheque books anymore. So I rang to arrange a card or online banking and after some time have been told they don't have enough information to give me either a card or access to online banking. I have always paid on time, and have always received my mail. I would like to know what will happen if I just stop paying, surely they won't come looking for the money, as they cannot verify who I am!

Yarraman

• 7 helpful votes
Private message

Do not even consider them

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2018

I am 57 years old. I have had a Citibank Credit Card since 2005. I got it because it was part of a business account with CUA (which were and are brilliant). However since having the Citibank Credit Card it has brought me nothing but grief. Maybe because of my age I had issues getting onto the Citibank e banking site, not sure. However I constantly had issues signing on, even with saved passwords. The thing is I could not speak to a HUMAN, most of the time, it would only give me options, none of which was to speak to a human.

In due course over perhaps 3 years I sort of mastered the site, knowing there was no outside assistance, other than call centres. And well as for the Call centres, not sure if they are in Goa, Phuket or Raqqua, but they could not speak English and I cannot speak Farsi, so every time I rang up all I got as someone on the line who could speak broken English at best.

When I lost my mobile they would not speak to me at all. All they advised was for me to go to the "Local" Branch in Brisbane 400Ks away to sort things.

What also was painful was every time I called them I would get a hard, very hard sell for an upgrade in Card or spare cash etc etc. This was in addition to every six months or so getting a letter with a pre approved raise in the limit.

I only gave them one star because it did not give me the negative star option.

Honestly dealing with them was even worse than Telstra, which says something in itself. To me to offer advice / an opinion to others, go to a Bank than has an Australian call centre, otherwise it will be worse than dealing with Telstra.

1 of 26 pages

What is Citi bank like?

kathy asked on Oct 01, 2018

Answer this

Hi Kathy. I would strongly recommend any bank over Citibank.

Thankyou for your advice

Processes , policies, customer service is garbage. Canstar is till reccomending them because their term Deposit interest rates are fairly good. Look elsewhere first, possibly even under your matress unless you have a very high thrshold for frustration and like spending time on the phone.

Applied ans was approced for a loan was told a bank cheque would be posted when no cheque arrived called them and was told it had been returned to them after being presented to a wrong account , still no cheque or info ? Thinking its scamsville !!!!!!

Nothappyjan asked on May 01, 2015

Answer this

Citibank are unprofessional mob.

I have been a member of Citibank for ten years. I recently had a call as I had been per approved for an unsecured loan 8% the callers tell me I can use for renovations for the house & great product. I agree,,,, 10th July 2013. I was asked to send off payslips, license etc which I did not do until 1 week later. When I called to verify I was told I'm sorry you have been declined on your recent application you did not fit the criteria? Confused I told them that the application had not been completed as I have only send pay slips. The customer service sorry mam it was declined & closed on the 12th. Please send a letter if you would like us to open???? Of course any application affects your credit rating so why call to say you have been pre approved based on your history & income. So confused & upset with this system.

Jay asked on Jul 20, 2013

Answer this

I found their whole process frustrating. The call centre in the phillippines does not seem to have access to all of the information and then all of a sudden they do. I spent in total nearly 2 hours on the phone with them trying to sort it all out. I understand your frustration