Yarraman

• 5 helpful votes
Private message

Do not even consider them

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2018

I am 57 years old. I have had a Citibank Credit Card since 2005. I got it because it was part of a business account with CUA (which were and are brilliant). However since having the Citibank Credit Card it has brought me nothing but grief. Maybe because of my age I had issues getting onto the Citibank e banking site, not sure. However I constantly had issues signing on, even with saved passwords. The thing is I could not speak to a HUMAN, most of the time, it would only give me options, none of which was to speak to a human.

In due course over perhaps 3 years I sort of mastered the site, knowing there was no outside assistance, other than call centres. And well as for the Call centres, not sure if they are in Goa, Phuket or Raqqua, but they could not speak English and I cannot speak Farsi, so every time I rang up all I got as someone on the line who could speak broken English at best.

When I lost my mobile they would not speak to me at all. All they advised was for me to go to the "Local" Branch in Brisbane 400Ks away to sort things.

What also was painful was every time I called them I would get a hard, very hard sell for an upgrade in Card or spare cash etc etc. This was in addition to every six months or so getting a letter with a pre approved raise in the limit.

I only gave them one star because it did not give me the negative star option.

Honestly dealing with them was even worse than Telstra, which says something in itself. To me to offer advice / an opinion to others, go to a Bank than has an Australian call centre, otherwise it will be worse than dealing with Telstra.

Sydney

• 7 helpful votes

Worst Customer Service Ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2018

This bank has no concept of customer Service. I paid a Credit Card out for the month earlier than the due date as I was travelling and now they want to charge me again plus penalties for doing the right thing. NEVER make the mistake of dealing with this place and obvious from their rating. I wished I had read this site before dealing with this place.

Verified Customer

DO NOT USE THIS BANK ( UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SCAMMED )

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 15, 2018

Ok, so l sent a phone overseas to America and the buyer transferred money to my card. A few days later l got an email from citibank saying in order for me to access funds l have to pay $150 which is ridiculous but l did anyways and two days later l got another email saying l have to pay another $200 and they will add more money into my account for this payment, so l paid the $200 ( yes l am an idiot). A few days later still no funds in my bank... BUT they demanded more money which was another $230 ( l kept denying it but they said you will definitely have the funds in 12 hours if l do pay this $230.. so my oh MY, i paid for that and than another few days go by yep you guessed it they said they want $250 this time!! absolutely ridiculous and l am the most stupidest person in the world so of course i payed that AND THAN YOU KNOW WHAT they asked me for another $300 and they promised the previous payment was the last. SO YEP I'VE LOST OVER $1000, THEY WILL NOT REFUND AND I'VE GOT SCAMMED ( PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT USE THIS BANK ) PLEASE DON'T UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE LEFT WITH AN EMPTY WALLET FOR MONTHS ) I'VE LEARNT MY LESSON NOT TO DO THINGS OVERSEAS ) SO THANK YOU CITIBANK FOR TAKING ALL MY MONEY FROM ME AND I HOPE NOT A SINGLE PERSON USES THIS BANK BECAUSE YOU WILL 100% GET SCAMMED. NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN

Sydney

Private message

Shocking service - randomly block credit cards

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 15, 2018

Wow. I have always thought highly of Citibank and have held a credit card with them for at least 10 years., Service is now so appalling and atrocious. The move to a second call centre in India is a shocking decision. 1 week before going overseas my Citibank credit card and my new companion Diners card (which I took out for no transaction fees overseas) were deactivated "by mistake" by a call centre staff in India. For no reason except stupidity. When I called to query this I was guaranteed that replacement cards would definitely arrive by Express Post the following Monday. New cards miraculously arrived later on Friday but they too cannot be activated. When I called to question this I was promised someone would call me back on Friday evening. No call was made.

My new cards did not arrive on Monday. When I called again (4th call in 2 weeks - love being on hold) I was advised the card would arrive via standard mail by the end of the week. Too late for me as I will be overseas and desperately need a card. All my travel arrangements are to be paid for on that card and I have no other. Unless I carry large wads of money or take travellers cheques I am in strife.

Citibank = terrible service and they just say what they think you want to hear (lie?), not what they are going to actually do. I have never seen anything like it...

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

I have just amended this to a zero (0) - Citibank do not even deserve 1 star. This must be a bad joke. Have since been sent 2 new cards but none can be activated! Would be funny except that I rea... read more »

saving online account

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2018

Since July18 open an online saving account nothing but problems no account was linked so no transfer no TFN recorder so withhold taxes now complaint lodge with FOS transfer not done refusing to acknowledge incompetence since July.

Sutherland

• 13 helpful votes
Private message

Not even one star. BEWARE NEW Credit Card 26 Mth Advertisment. DO NOT apply online. You will end up

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2018

DO NOT apply online or you could end up with a Credit Rejection on your record without even applying for the balance transfer and credit card.
Citibank advertised 26 mths interest free balance transfer. I went online to investigate further and they had a page to "assess your eligibility" and to start an application. The fist page had a calculator of typical assets and salary only. I entered my name, address DOB and salary. In order to assess liabilities vs income you have to go page 2. So I hit " Continue to Next Page" and it asked me to tick a box. That meant I would agree to the Terms & Conditions. I ticked the box but then was at work so had to leave it for later so I SAVED the application without even starting on Page 2. Their website even said I could this and they sent me email to confirm my application was saved and not submitted. And this is the con, the kicker. I did NOT SUBMIT the application. I NEVER submitted the application. I did even complete page 2 or make it to page 2 of their application. All they had was my salary and address. 1-2 weeks later I received a letter from Citibank Credit Cards saying my application had been declined. The letter was dated the SAME AS THE DATE I received an email confirmation my application had been saved but not completed!!!
I never applied in the first place I end up with a credit rejection on my record - and how did they correctly and fairly assess any application that did not have all my information in the first place. This is a gross misuse of someone's personal information. I called three times - half an hour each to get some arrogant script-reading person saying basically " Too bad, you ticked the box" That was it. No effort to look at the website, that it was misleading. Or My explanation that my agreeing to assessing my information I presumed - as any normal REASONABLE person would - would commence AFTER I actually submitted my application. Nope, the guy wasn’t having any of it and it was only until my third phone call and demanding to speak t the manager I got told to submit a complaint to ACORN ( a cyber crime reporting website btw???) and after doing that they would pull the credit rejection notice. If anyone knows ACORN its not a government regulatory body. It is a reporting of cyber crime website only and not involved in resolving disputes
My complaint is now with FOS but what also infuriates me is I am the one having to do all the running around and calling them back and every time you call them back you know you're on hold for 30 minutes. When they call back they don’t ring more than twice and don’t leave any direct numbers so you end up in the Call centre queue every time. 12.02 mins to get through last time

Absolutely useless and flagrantly deceptive. Never again. I'm trying to apply for a mortgage and Citibank's gross deceptive and misleading advertising has me hamstrung until I can get this off my record for something I didnt even apply. Absolute outrage. Beware. Dont use their website. Go see them in person if you absolutely have to

Private message

False advertising, complex, beware!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2018

I got what I thought was a personal loan for 5.9% for 3 years thru Citibank. Confirmed on the phone this was my product. First statement and I have been charged 19.99% interest. Now they are explaining the product to me and it is complex and confusing and I am good at getting my head around this sort of stuff, but not with Citibank. I’m going to the banking ombudsman with this.

Private message

CitiBank - Lots of room for improvement?

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2018

I'll keep my review short and succinct. I was skiing recently at Hotham and as you do, you need to spend money while away. However, Citibank put an end to all that and caused havoc on my holiday. They suspended my account while I was away and for what reason you may ask?? My job title was missing. This caused me serious disruption to my holiday and about 10+ very disturbing and distressing phone calls. I was so frustrated my head almost exploded. I threatened everything under the sun for them to re-instate my card. They took their merry time and after 5 or 6 days, they re-activated it. I feel they didn't care at all about my concerns.

This is not all - bought new iphone Xs and guess what , their $%$$W$# mobile application doesn't even work - my mobile banking is doomed forever. I have emailed, called, posted apple store review - still not working !!!

Think very carefully before using Citibank, despite their interest rates/ low fees!!! I don’t think their interest rates or fees can possibly make up for their shortcomings.

Ps - iPhone X’s now working after 2 weeks, but this should have been planned for in advance !

Private message

Totally inept, no customer service and inane policies

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 30, 2018

Fairly god interest rates for term deposits BUT
Constantly asking for documents that have already been submitted, clearly their systems are rubbish. They create a mountain of repetitive work and have overseas customer service, l can’t understand a word they are saying and they don’t resolve anything.

Melbourne

No Complaints

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 16, 2018

I have had no issues when opening a term deposit with this Bank l have been going to them for a number of years, they offer a good rate compared to the big 4 Banks covered by the Govt Guarantee, remember it is a honeymoon rate just like the Banks and you will have to wait up to 6mths to reinvest at a better return, keep it simple by visiting their main office with preferably a Bank Chq sit back and relax until the account matures and l have had no issues with them when closing and having funds trf to another banks account, their phone service is crap hence my ⭐️⭐️⭐️ Rating.

Gold Coast

Private message

You can't get your money out

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 15, 2018

I have never written a review before but my experience with Citibank has been so bad I wanted to warn others. Having banked with most the other major banks I would not have expected such a major difference in processes or customer service. Citibank are a bureaucratic nightmare. Communicating with them is frustrating. Every time you have to go through a security process which asks way too many questions and god forgive you if you don't know your passport number. My biggest gripe is getting your money out. I had a term deposit which matured and you can not take more than $100,000 out each day. If you want a higher amount you have to set up a international transfer which can take up to 5 working days. I wish i had read the reviews prior to setting up an account with Citibank but if you are reading this please trust me that even if the rate is slightly higher than elsewhere it is not worth the nightmare of dealing with them.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

TREVALLYN

Nightmare on Collins Street

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2018

I tried to link my Citi US account on line in Australia and could not do it. So I flew from Tasmania to Melbourne and visited their office directly thinking you need to see them in person to open a new account. This is how we do in US - you need to visit them on the spot. WRONG - 2 live Robots at the front desk could not assist me any shape or form. Told me I have to apply on line to open a new account. I asked them if they have a computer on the spot so I can apply and set it up as I only have my smart phone. NOPE - no computer, no assistant service, no print out=NOTHING. After applying thru my phone, I found out I have to print out the form, sign and mail by post????What kind of service is this? Are you serious? I am a GOLD Member in USA and this does not apply to Citi in Melbourne. In the US they would roll out the red carpet for any new account. So is in Asia. They want your business, they assist you in anyway they could. They want your money. CITI Melbourne is CRAP!! They should fired who ever is in charge there. My husband opened a new account and visited the Brisbane office and he has no problem. They helped him open an account on the SPOT. What is Citi Melbourne doing?? Still in World War II era? Guess what, I rather take my business elsewhere. The man and woman there could give a rat about you walking in to their bank. Well, you lost a great customer like me. I will bring my $$$$ somewhere else. I have never seen any banking service SO BAD as Citi Melbourne at Collins Street. DON"T GO THERE. Jump ship to somewhere else....!!

City

• 3 comments
  • 3 questions
  • 6 answers
  • 9 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Don't Trust Citibank with their Claim about Rate Estimator that it will not impact your credit score

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 19, 2018

Citibank on their website provides you with an option of applying loan with a loan estimate. Once you choose that option it ask you to enter Generic Information such as your income and expenses for the month, based on this information, it gives you an estimated loan account.
Once you have an estimated loan amount, the next option it makes you available is to apply loan without Rate Estimate or with Rate Estimate, the difference between the 2 option is if you choose without Rate estimate, it will impact your credit score and if you choose option 2 with rate estimate, as per Citibank Australia's website it shouldn't have any impact on your credit score. But unfortunately that is not the case under both the options it impacts your credit score, luckily enough I have subscribed to Equifax and to amazement after 2 days I got an alert that my credit score has been impacted. I have lodged my complaint both with Citibank Australia and Financial Ombudsman.

Unfortunately, Citibank Australia has been unsuccessful in resolving the matter, fortunately, I have taken screen shots of their misleading and deceptive advertisement.

Traralgon

Private message

Citibank has worst customer service imaginable

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2018

I had a credit card with them with $13,000 owing but came into some money and was able to pay it off completely. I then set it up to do a direct debit of the whole amount owing each month. However, when the next billing cycle came around, they took $13,000 from my bank account. When I rang them, they said they take the total amount that was owing as at the last statement and totally ignore the fact that you may have paid it off in the meantime!
This is a depth of stupidity which is scarcely imaginable, and as I cannot tolerate stupidity, I decided to close the account. But the problems were only just beginning.
As it was a co-branded card (with the Bank of Queensland), I went to a BOQ branch to close the account. They took the card and arranged to have the account closed, and told me that the cheque would be sent out on the 8th of the month, which was the date of the billing cycle. However, no cheque was issued on that day, so I rang them and they told me that the account was still active, but that they would close it this time. However, I would now have to wait yet another month to get the cheque.
Naturally, I have grave doubts about getting the cheque the second time round. The place is a nightmare. I give them zero stars.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Worst bank- mortgage plus.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

They take forever to approve loans, left multiple entries on my credit file. Their mortgage plus mortgage comes with a credit card, I didn't get it at the start(they didn't approve) , 6 months later I wanted one and they charge annual fee for it as well as package fee for the loan. Stay away from them.

Rip off

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

I have open an Global Currency account as it status that it is no bank fee. however, I transferred HK$1000 to my bank account, it charge me HK$150 & HK$120, it was 27% of my transaction fees. Took 3 weeks to response to me. It is robbery .

Perth

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Worst bank you can deal with - term deposit

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2018

The bank attracts new customers with high term deposit interest rates. You transfer your money from another bank and than you have to wait days somebody to call you to finalise your term deposit. After maturity, you go all over again. You spend 30 min on the phone that they can identify you, to be at the end transferred to person to tell you that manager is going to call you in couple of days. When she finally calls interest rate drops rapidly with the excuse that the interest rate you agreed at the beginning was just for new customers. Thank you Citibank, we are done.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

There is much more to this story... Don't even think to transfer more than 100K from your Citibank account to another bank within Australia easily. This is possible only with international transfer... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

No help - wrong information

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 07, 2018

When you find yourself in a foreign country with no way of accessing cash after being robbed don’t rely on Citibank to help you. Given the run around by supposed customer service officers; 3 different stories with the final person admitting they couldn’t help. Oh but if I wait 10 -15 days I can have a replacement card. What does one live on in the meantime - fresh air! Worst experience ever!! Don’t trust their staff to know what they are talking about and don’t use their products.

• 4 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 23 helpful votes
Private message

Zero stars!!!! Worst customer service!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2018

All I want to do is obtain a second card on my debit account for overseas travel. It's amazing the primitive way of having to do this - filling out forms and taking them to a Australia Post counter, then wait seven to 10 days for someone to contact you (who never did), and then when no one contacts you, you need to phone (three times in my case) to find out what's happening. You ask to speak with a supervisor, but they can't take your call because they're too busy taking other escalated complaint calls. Unbelievable! If I worked this way, I'd be either out of a job or out of business! So, now, we leave in two weeks, and still no card. I won't be holding my breath to receive it before we go - we can't even receive a phone call! Idiots.

Clearly, the marketing / communications branch doesn't give a rats about their level of customer service - they don't even respond to the multiple one star reviews on this site.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes