Filter By:

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

I use these guys every time

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2018

I'm going to sound like an advert, but I use these guys every time I travel. The stupid thing is my credit card provides travel insurance, but on the two occasions I have had to make a claim with them, Covermore have delivered. I have probably used them 10 times and they are a bit more expensive, but the two times I've claimed, both had far from ordinary circumstances (probably common for travel and the chaos that happens when stuff goes wrong in a country that doesn't speak you language) and they listened and understood.
Yes, I've paid out more over the years than I've needed to claim, but they have been spot on when needed.

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Julian, We very much appreciate your 5-star review! Thank you for sharing your positive claims experiences on Product Review. It is very pleasing to hear you feel this way about Cover-More and w... read more »

AWFUL DO NOT USE THEM

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2018

I used Cover-More Travel Insurance for a $3200 Bali trip and due to unforeseen circumstances of my health and my mother’s health I was in able to go on the holiday that was booked in For October. I put in the claim early July, submitted numerous doctors letters and everything they required for them to then tell me in December (nearly 6 months later) that the claim was denied.
I was going back and forward with them for several months. They were very rude and were not helpful at all. They kept making excuses for why it was taking so long. It was a very serious health condition. It is very sad that you put trust in a company and they can not provide a service that they advertise that they offer. I Do NOT recommend them. They are a complete rip off. And please do NOT waste your money by insuring through them

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Kristy, We are very sorry to hear about your health and that of your mother's as well. We are hoping you are both doing better now. Sorry to hear you have been disappointed with your claims exp... read more »

Insurance claim made

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY EVER- THEY WILL NOT PROTECT YOU only their bottom line!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

1. July 14th - Parents depart for overseas adventure trip of lifetime- due back in late Sept.
2. July 19th - My husband & carer ( I have MS medically retired age 43) had an unexpected heart attack, released from hospital after one week with a stent and no permanent heart damage. Decided everything would be okay they didn’t need to return to care for me.
3. August 30th - Due to ongoing chest pain- husband readmitted to bigger city hospital where it was discovered he had terminal cancer with a mass on his lung that had metastasised to the bones & kidneys.
4. September 4th - Parents rush home( cover more aided them to speak to Australian travel agency).
5. My husband died on 1st December- cover more still refusing to make a decision to pay any associated costs incurred due to my parents having to end their trip, rebook flights & tours they had to cancel that were pre paid for etc.
They have been provided with medical certificates & hospital discharge reports which clearly state - there was no cancer identified after heart attack.
6. The distress this company have caused in my families most vulnerable time- I would never want to see another family have to endure. All they want is more information more reports until you finally give up!

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Kelly, We are deeply sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. We imagine you are going through a very difficult time and we apologise for any added stress you may have had due to the claims... read more »

UPDATE- no cover more representative has contacted my parents - in regards to this claim & are still demanding a medical certificate - which when you read the questions doesn’t even make sense in t... read more »

Update- Covermore saga continues still more reports!! Seriously if you go with covermore for your travel insurance- Ensure every MEMBER of your FAMILY has a CURRENT MEDICAL CERTIFICATE advising the... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Cover-More covers nothing !!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2018

Many times I have used this company for travel insurance and on the last occasion had to make a claim. The process is lengthy and even after supplying all they ask for they want more. Trying to do anything they can to stop paying out. $1300 approx is the amount of the claim and it’s heartbreaking enough to not have been able to travel never mind insurance cover you paid for won’t pay out.
They give away endless prizes of money on their Facebook page which is probably funded by claims not paid out.

Claim now denied due to clauses pulled from who knows where

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Alan, We are very sorry to hear you have been disappointed with your claims experience. As communicated to you, our claims team do require the requested documentation in order to accurately asse... read more »

Sydney

Private message

Left hanging when I needed urgent help

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

Selected Covermore on the day I had to fly out immediately to UK following my father’s hospitalisation with a terminal condition. In the turmoil following his passing I omitted to extend the policy - when I realised my error I messaged Covermore on their in-house system - and waited and waited for a reply - having not heard anything I entered into a new contract - FOUR days later I received a response - ‘ We apologize on the delayed response due to high volume of enquiries’ - giving me an Australian number to call to extend ‘if’ I was still within period in which that is possible - advising not possible to take out a new policy - and the ultimate indignity - confirming my message ticket was ‘now solved’.
I was luckily within the period in which I was able to extend my cover and cancel the new policy - but no thanks to the delayed response to my urgent query
I trust you understand my disappointment (understement) in your poor (understatement) customer service

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Tony, Please accept our deepest sympathy in relation to your father's passing. We imagine this was a difficult time for you and we're sorry to hear about your disappointment in relation to your ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 3 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

CoverMore ?? CoverLess is more correct.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

5 times with CoverMore, and there will not be 6.
Our small claim (less than $2k) was reviewed and reviewed, denied, questioned etc hoping to make us give up.
Even demanding photographs of clothes / shoes stolen !!! Who has that???
26% of reviews are "poor" or "terrible" and deservedly so !
Canstar and Choice give good alternative options.
They are shockers ! CoverMore ? No way: CoverLess ? Yes .

R Wiblen.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Ray,
We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear your claims experience hasn't been ideal so far. We have sent you a private message requesting some details so we can look into this for you.

HORNSBY HEIGHTS

Insurance claim made

Delays and excuses - any way to avoid paying out on valid claim

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2018

what a joke. I have been attempting to claim for a cancelled flight and consequent expenses for literally months. I have been asked for trivial information and after providing it, I have been asked for even more trivial information. Any excuse for them to avoid paying out. I will NEVER go near this company again.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi there, We are sorry to hear you feel this way about your claims experience. So we can investigate this for you, we have sent you a private message requesting some information. We look forward to... read more »

Sydney

• 8 helpful votes

Extremely Happy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2018

I was doubtful making a claim of my phone being stolen in whilst in south east Asia, the process did take longer than expected which did consist of a few emails back and forward but in the end I got approved even though I had harsh circumstances regarding my claim.

I have to admit the price of insurance was more than other companies i have used in the past but from friends and families stories of there claims I can see you get what you pay for.

I am very happy and as a frequent traveler I now have a company I can use on a regular basis.

I will add this, Calling from Vietnam to talk to someone took way too long, 3 times i called for 30 min a time. Third time they answered after 23min. Could use improvement.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Kurt, Thank you for taking time to review our services. We are pleased to see you have rated us 5 stars. Sorry to hear about your stolen phone, but we're glad you weren't left out of pocket for ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Insurance claim made

Very happy with the service during my claim

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2018

Very happy with the service provided by Cover-More Insurance Services. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I submitted my claim and supporting information using the on-line form and process. This was an easy process, the next communication I received was that the claim was approved and the money was deposited in my bank account. Easy no fuss claim process, very happy. thank you.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi there, Thank you kindly for your 5-star review of our services! It makes us very happy to know you had a great claims experience and that you had a successful outcome. Our team can process claim... read more »

• 3 comments
  • 14 helpful votes

Stunned with the service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2018

I needed travel insurance that covered high altitude (Everest base camp hike) so I reluctantly went with covermeore - reluctant because all the reviews were so bad!! However I proceeded in the absence of alternativrs. Needless to say that about 200 metres in elevation from base camp I suffered severe altitude sickness and had to be airlifted off. Was very nervous about the claim but I did everything right- I read the policy carefully and collected all necessary documents BEFORE I left Nepal . Claim paid out about three weeks after claiming in full and without any attempt to get out of paying. Advice is that if you are eligible for a claim and you provide the correct documents they will pay the claim. I will use them again for sure as I am a frequent traveller. (And to the spelling police I’m on my phone and can’t be bothered correcting

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Jenelle, Congratulations on making it to Mount Everest Base Camp - that's a big achievement! We're sorry to hear you became unwell during the hike but we're happy to know you weren't left out of... read more »

Bondi junction

Totally confused and disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 22, 2018

I have bought Covermore on many, many occasions, but am totally confused as to where to buy my next travel insurance policy after ready these customer reviews. Can't they give a straight answer. All the replies from Covermore reps are the same.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Ann, We appreciate you letting us know how you feel. We do hope you will choose to protect your future travels with us as you have done so in the past. To protect the privacy of our customer, we... read more »

Robina

• 1 question
  • 5 helpful votes

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Hidden excess and incorrect excess

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 19, 2018

We have bought Cover-More Travel Insurance on numerous occasions for our overseas travel, but never had to make a claim. We had stayed with Cover-More on the recommendation of a trusted travel agent. However, our recent experience in relation to domestic travel highlighted a small but significant issue in relation to the disclosure and application of the excess, which has given me pause to consider looking for an alternative next time.

When applying online for the Domestic Plan or the Domestic Cancellation Plan, there is no up front disclosure of the mandatory excess. (An application for the overseas cover shows the excess and gives a choice, though I do notice that the 'box' is placed so that it could easily be missed). I checked every little ? or link, and there is absolutely no mention of an excess for either domestic option. The certificate I received said there was a $50 excess, and this is the first time you will see this, UNLESS you read in detail the PDS. Of course, the application makes you certify you have read the PDS, but in reality who does, or even picks up every little detail if they do. I really think that there is no excuse for the excess to not be clearly stated during the application process so the customer is fully informed.

I didn't think too much about this until we had to make a claim and I was looking at the PDS after there was an error in the calculation of our claim. The PDS clearly stated that the excess for Domestic Cancellation is $25 - not $50 as stated on our certificate as only the Domestic Plan had an excess of $50. When I spoke with a claims officer about this, I was gobsmacked when he wanted me to send them the copy of the PDS and my Certificate! While I said I would, I also said I shouldn't have to, as their PDS, which I had looked at 20 mins earlier online, clearly stated that the excess should have been $25. Really people, do your own homework. Asking the customer to email in something that you have provided and have readily available looks lazy and unprofessional, and would cause unnecessary delay. Eventually, I was put through to the Claims Officer who actually handled my claim. He checked it out and agreed to repay the extra $25 and did so within an hour, along with the adjusted payment from recalculating the claim. Thank you.

To me this issue with the application of the excess is obviously a computer programming problem that populates the certificate with the incorrect excess amount, and this flows on to the calculation of the claim. So the big question is, how many other people have had the wrong excess applied to their claim for Domestic Cancellation insurance, and been shortchanged $25.

Based our experience, an ethical company would now be taking four steps:
1. Changing the application process so that the excesses for domestic insurance are clearly shown to the customer up front along with the cost and details of the policy being selected.
2. Changing the system so that the correct excess is applied to the policy and shown on the certificate of insurance.
3. Examining how this system error happened, and putting quality control processes in place to ensure everything in the system is double checked for accuracy, so that something like this does not happen again, and any other system errors are corrected.
4. Identifying how many other Domestic Cancellation claims have had the incorrect excess applied, no matter how long ago that was, AND immediately sending each policy holder the $25 that was incorrectly deducted from their claim, along with a letter of apology.

You might think that $25 each is not a lot, but there is a much bigger principle at stake here. And given the findings of the recent Royal Commission into financial institutions, I would expect that Cover-More would realise that it is morally and legally bound to repay this money to each policy holder who made a claim.

So, over to your Cover-More. I would appreciate your advice that all of these steps, and particularly number 4, have or will be actioned by Cover-More.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Denise, We appreciate you taking time to write us with your feedback. Sorry for any confusion caused. It is very important people read the PDS before deciding on our travel insurance. We encour... read more »

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately it has only served to confirm the general theme in other negative comments regarding Cover-More's attitude and responses ie not prepared to listen (read) ... read more »

Cover-More Official

Hi Denise, Thank you very much for raising this with us. We appreciate you taking the time to bring it to our attention. This is something we would like to investigate further as you have suggeste... read more »

Worst travel insurance

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

I made a claim with this disappointing joke of a company, I was admitted into hospital overseas in august for over a week and I then put in my claim. They wasted my time filling out there crap, kept asking for more and more info to be sent, when they already had. Hopping you give up and discontinue with your claim. When going overseas you don't expect to be in hospital for a week sick and coming close you dying when your planning a holiday Hard to get any information or to speak to anyone. Avoid

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Costandina, We are very sorry to hear this has been your experience. This is something we would like to look into for you, so we have sent you a private message requesting some further details. ... read more »

Amazed

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

As a person who hates Insurance companies I have had the most amazing service from Cover More which has forced me to change my entire attitude. My wife had a serious accident in Australia on 8 September and ended up needing two ambulances and spent three days in intensive care. Cover More has proved excellent with quick refund of Ambulance fees and when an error was pointed out it was dealt with within 6 hours. Simply could not ask for better service. I am most impressed and converted.

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi David, Thank you kindly for taking time to share your positive experience with us! We hope your wife is recovering well from her accident and we wish her the best for a speedy recovery. This is ... read more »

Moggill

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Never again with this crowd.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2018

Once, I claimed for a broken pair of spectacles after a fall on holiday in the UK . I am 79 years old, so getting a bit doddery. The spectacles cost me $904 in 2012 (Frames) and 2014 (Lenses) I had a $250 excess to pay (fair ) They then compensated me with $29 and said it was due to Depreciation ($627) Then I discovered they had not allocated my virgin Frequent Flyer points as promised to my Travel Agent. So if I were you I would give them a miss.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hello, Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We are sorry to hear you are not satisfied with the outcome of your claim. When assessing claims, our team do need to deduct reasonable depreci... read more »

Your business ethics are not acceptable to me but are regrettably the norm today. you have not answered the failure of your company to award me the velocity frequent flyer points you are obliged to... read more »

• 1 question
  • 5 answers

AN INFORMED DECISION BY A CUSTOMER NEEDS MORE DISCLOSURE BY THIS COMPANY

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2018

1) Travel insurance companies are exempt from discrimination legislation on the basis of age but this company does not mention this anywhere in their product disclosure document. Your application can be declined summarily on the basis of age even if you are the healthiest person alive.
2)This company requests you to disclose all your existing medical issues and to truthfully disclose anything else of relevance. But try and get them to disclose how they assess your application and you find that they do not tell you anything. In their PDS they list various factors they say they use but will give no information as to the actuarial data or scientific references they use.to come to a decision on your application. In other words it is a one way flow of information. You to them but none to you. So how can you make an informed decision to go with this company.
3) In the PDS is listed medical issues which are automatically covered and the range/conditions required to qualify for this cover. If you think you are covered, think again. If you have diabetes for instance you are NOT covered automatically even though you fall within the range/conditions mentioned in the PDS. You only find out about this hidden gem when you are rejected. The 'automatically covered' items don't apply to you.
3) Your application is initially assessed by non medical people using a computer program. You are not talking to a medical professional just a clerk.
Remember to part with your money you need to make an informed decision and if you don't get the information you need then move on.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Joe, We appreciate your feedback so thank you for taking the time to provide it. Our PDS does state that reduced limits may apply for customers 70 years of age or over at the relevant time. Limi... read more »

The whole idea of a PDS is to inform consumers of their obligations and responsibilities when taking our travel insurance. It is the responsibility of insurers by law to disclose full information... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 3 helpful votes

SCAM WARNING, COVER MORE IS A RIP OFF

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2018

I made a claim with this circus over delayed and lost luggage, may, it's now November,
Damn you cover more,

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Brendon, We appreciate your feedback regarding your claim. Sorry to hear you feel this way about your experience. Please check your private messages as we have sent you one requesting further d... read more »

It's been 6 months, I'm sick of sending in useless crap that's just wasting my time. You got to vinice, you find the shop, you get a duplicate receipt, A sports bag worth 80 to 100 dollars, why ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

The most shameless ethics I have ever experienced

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2018

This company is not to be trusted. From the moment of the accident in Vietnam it felt by the way they were questioning us that they were looking for excuses not to pay. And guess what? That's right, they didn't pay, and used factually incorrect information as the basis of the reasons for declining cover. Even after we corrected clearly incorrect information used in the decline notice they issued a second notice using more factually incorrect information. Now we are disputing their refusal to pay they have an intentionally impossible commitment to responding - 10 working days from receiving information from their own department BEFORE they pass it onto us, and a 20 day response time to every email we send them. Its intentionally resistant and designed to only pay the few that persist. We paid the premium in good faith, they have actively resisted paying when medically they are obliged to based on their own fine print. Use another company, this company is untrustworthy.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Andy,
We are sorry to hear you feel this way about your experience with us. This is something we would like to look into, so we have sent you a private message requesting some further information.

Brisbane

Medical claim

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

Hi I have waited from June to now Nov for claim but finally success today. Thanks to a nice man called Edward claims officer, all finalised today. He has a nice attitude and lovely man to talk to. So happy with outcome. Thanks mate.

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Bev,
Thank you for your review! We're happy to hear about your successful claim outcome. We will be sure to pass your kind feedback along to the relevant team.

Extremely disappointed!!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

My family and I planned to fly out to Bali at the end of September, but just before boarding the plane my husband suffered with an anxiety attack, so our holiday had to be cancelled as he needed medical attention. We sent Cover More all the required paperwork at the beginning of October and were told to wait 10 business days for an answer. They sent an email saying that they had to review the medical information and we had to wait another 10 business days. We didn't hear back from them once another 10 business days had been and gone,so had to chase them up for an answer to be told that they were waiting on our doctor to get back to them. It is very frustrating and we feel we are just getting the run around to avoid getting any funds back. It was the travel agent that recommended Cover More, so we thought we were in good hands, but obviously not!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cover-More Official

Hi Annie, Thank you for providing feedback about your experience. We are sorry to hear it has not been ideal so far. As advised by private message, our claims team is looking into this and has atte... read more »

1 of 103 pages

Is it true that you will not pay for cancellation of a holiday due to an outbreak of shingles if the insured had chicken pox as a child ? That Cover-More considers it a pre-existing condition? About 250 members of our cruise group are shocked that you have apparently denied a member's claim based on this reason. Please confirm if this is what you tell claimants as 95% of our group have had chicken pox as children!

Shocked asked on Dec 07, 2018

Hi there,
Thanks for your enquiry. Cancellation claims can be covered if it is due to unforeseen circumstances and meets the guidelines outlined in the PDS of the travel insurance policy. Claims arising due to medical reasons whether it be directly or indirectly related to an existing medical condition that is undeclared at the time the policy was purchased may not be covered by the policy. The PDS available via our website defines what is considered to be an existing medical condition. For more information about cover for existing medical conditions, please visit: https://www.covermore.com.au/travel-insurance/existing-medical.
Cover-More Travel Insurance

What upgrade do I need to be excess free on my policy covered by Com bank Visas free insurance?

Bbhutcho asked on Nov 09, 2018

Answer this

Hi there, thanks for your question! Please call us on 1300 467 951 to speak with our dedicated CBA team. They will be more than happy to assist you with answering any questions you have about Commonwealth Bank travel insurance. Kind Regards, Cover-More Travel Insurance

Can you please tell me if cover more insurance will cover expenses if travel is delayed or cancelled due to volcano ash in Bali?

Anne asked on Nov 08, 2018

Hi Anne,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please be advised we withdrew cover for Mount Agung at 2pm on 18th September 2017 when we determined the volcano to be a known and ongoing event at that time. Any policy purchased after this time/date will not include any cover in respect of the volcano. Anything not related to the volcano, you may submit a claim for consideration if you need to do so. Our latest advice about Mt Agung is available here: https://www.covermore.com.au/mount-agung-indonesia-volcanic-activity/update-jun-2018

When we determine that the current event is over, cover will be restored to both new and existing policies, for new volcanic events and similar. We do not know when this will be.

Where a future event is unforeseeable, the policy includes benefits covering natural disaster (if one is declared), travel delay, and cancellation/amendment if you are directly affected by the event and unable to proceed with the journey or to change your plans.

Where an event is not covered, our Emergency Assistance team is still here to help you facilitate contact with your family, your travel agent or if you need help rearranging your journey.

If you like, here are details for the National Insurance Brokers Association. Their website includes a list of insurers, one or more of whom may be offering cover for the current event: http://www.needabroker.com.au/html/. We hope this information helps and we wish you a wonderful trip to Bali!

See all 255 questions about Cover-More Travel Insurance