Canberra

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Great. Free hot water.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2018

Easily copes with 2 long showers and 2 loads of washing in 1 day. We live in a cold climate (Canberra) and have had it for 6 months with a very cold winter. No problems at all. By using the inbuilt timer I've set it to heat from 1 pm to 5 pm as needed. This is when the air temperature is highest and the sun brightest, so by using the power from my solar panels it costs me nothing for hot water. Have now disconnected from gas saving me around $300 per year in connection costs alone. Win, win. Very happy.

Date Purchased: Nov 2012

After Sales service is of a very high standard

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

have owned a Hydrotherm Heat pump since late 2012 and have to say that the after sales service is the best I have experienced with any product. I have had on 2 occasions needed to call about alarm going off on the heater and they have talked me through how to reset the pump on 1st occasion and arranged for someone to come out within 3 hrs on the second occasion to look at the sensor. Only other time I needed a call out there was no charge. Kudos to Simon and rest of the staff they are very professional and provide great service

• 8 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Excellent product and great service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2018

We purchased this unit after quite a bit of research and we are glad we did.
The purchase process was very easy and the communication was excellent, we knew what was happening every step of the way.
We used a partnered installer to have it installed and this was a seamless process as the installer is also kept in the loop with delivery times etc.
This unit has replaced our old 170lt electric unit and we could not be happier with the hot water production.
We also thought we should comment on the noise from this unit, as we ourselves were concerned a little after various reviews of heat pump units being noisy.
The unit is installed almost directly under our bedroom and the noise is not at all disturbing. It may be that we live on acreage and we are on tank water, so we are used to pumps running for water etc, but this unit is no louder than our split system air conditioner.
You can also set timers to run the unit at times that suit, usually through the day to utilise the unused solar power and a bit of a top up before you get home. This way it doesn't even need to run at night time.
We will follow up on power usage after a couple of bills.

Warrnambool

• 11 comments
  • 9 answers
  • 14 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jul 2018

An absolutely brilliant unit - with exceptional customer service and support

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2018

We have had our unit for just over 2 weeks now - and are over the moon with its performance.
It replaced a 3-panel Solar heater which was not great in our cool winters in South West Victoria.

I researched a lot before purchasing the Hydrotherm - considering units like Siddons, Sanden, Chromagen, Rheem, and others. But - it was the fantastic reviews here on Product Review; along with the 15-year Warranty on the 316 grade Stainless tank as well as 5 years on parts and 2 years on labour. Not to mention the value price - just over $1900 after the state government STC discount - and $430 fitting. As an example, to get a similar warranty on the Sanden unit, we were looking at approx $5,000 installed while some units offered only a 2-year warranty, which was of concern.

One look at the unit speaks its quality. Even the carton that it came in was tough - about 25 mm thick honeycomb reinforced cardboard. The high-grade exterior is mainly Stainless and features a user-friendly digital control panel, allowing for adjustment of the time of running, as well as the maximum temperature and cut-in point for the compressor to start heating.

I know that there have been some comments on here about noise? I can only presume that those complaints had come from people that did not realise that heat-pump units have a compressor? Our unit sits right behind the Master bedroom (brick veneer) wall - and all you hear is the gentle hum of the fan unit. But - to take advantage of the extra warmth during daylight hours, I have since set the timer to turn on at 10 am, which makes the running around 25% more efficient and ANY noise is shifted to daytime. On the subject of efficiency, the unit only has a regular 3 pin plug because its current draw is so low.

There was an issue in shipping, the carton was damaged in transit by what was assumed to be a forklift blade. But the company Business Development Manager and Hydrotherm stood by it - inspected it for issues and boosted our Warranty, in case of any future problems - there have been none.

To sum up - we LOVE the really nice hot showers and look forward to our super cheap hot water too.

Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Works on and off

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 23, 2018

I have had to contact the installer 4 times in the last 2 years. System stops producing hot water. Panel starts to light up with all sorts of messages. Installed in July 2014. We have had to have cold showers many times. Not happy at all with the product. Very frustrating to come home and have a cold shower.

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi Bill, Sorry that you've been having issues with your system, the alarms and messages are designed to alert owners when an issue occurs (blocked condensate line, unusual sensor readings etc.). I... read more »

Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Fantastic product

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2018

Have been very happy with the product after 7 months and have seen significant savings on electricity compared to the previous electric hot water system. Customer support has been fantastic and always answered any questions I had. Would highly recommend this product to anyone considering a new hot water system.

Brisbane

• 1 comment

Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Buy a Quantum

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2018

Have owned Quantum and hydrotherm. Had 10 reliable no fuss years service out of our Quantum HWS before we built and moved to a new place. The builder had put in a Hydrotherm and told us how “great” they were. Well in 2 years we have had 3 installed and another one has packed it in. They are cheap imported junk, don’t waste your money, time and sanity. You have to fight tooth and nail for a warranty claim with threats of fair trading to get any joy and hope you win the Hydrotherm lotto and jag a good unit. If you buy one I wish you good luck!

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Dear Sir/Madam, We have searched our databases and there are no customers who have had 2 system's replaced in a 2 year period as you have described. We also have not had any customer calling us ma... read more »

I have pm you guys a message for you to contact us.

Date Purchased: Feb 2018

Looks good sounds industrial

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2018

Our water heater works to expectation with better flow than with an earlier model. There was an initial problem caused by a blockage in a filter - but that was sorted by the designated plumber - at our expense I seem to remember. The filter had trapped a small piece of plastic - could have originated during manufacture or when the product was unwrapped.

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi John, Thanks for leaving the review. Could you please contact us on 1300 769 904 to discuss the issue you had with the blocked filter. There are a couple of options for mitigating and minimisi... read more »

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Excellent product

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2018

Have used it for over six months now and meets all expectations.
Very good quality product, well made and of robust design and workmanship.
Noise from compressor is no more noticeable than an air conditioner and does not run for too long to be intrusive.
I would highly recommend this product.

Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Good but not perfect

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2018

A good unit, however could do with greater capacity, perhaps the temperature could be set higher so that less hot water is required in the mix when showering.

We are a family of three adults and if all three shower around the same time hot water runs out.

I will look at raising the temperature, however 20% more capacity would make this unit ideal for us, I don’t see how this unit could suit a large family.

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi Howden, Yes the temperature of system can be adjusted, however there are a couple of things I'd suggest you check beforehand: 1. Check what WELS Start rated shower heads you have (ie. the flow... read more »

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Great Product and service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 10, 2018

When it comes to hot water systems, it's not often you would write about the look and design but in the case of Hydrotherm, that is the first thing that comes to mind. It looks apart and works a treat. The best feature is the ability to set timers which allows me to match the running time the unit to the best solar production of the day to offset the electricity cost.

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

When you must have the Best. This is It..

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 17, 2018

Its actually a very stylish slim system. Never heard or seen of this particular product HydroTherm until it was recommended by my plumber.It has suited us as a family of 3 Adults with long showers. Certainly coming under the running cost of my last system, much quieter and over the moon with the purchase price. This is the only system i would ever recommend. And I have :)

Pottsville

Date Purchased: Jan 2016

I love hot showers and cheap power bills

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2018

Hydrotherm have the best heat pump on the market!! I am a service tech, and I have been worked on a many brands in the market and have found HydroTherm to be the best most reliable and easy to service system. Give a heat pump a go you will save on your energy bill!!

Date Purchased: Apr 2018

Brilliant Technology

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2018

I have only had the heatpump a few weeks, but so far Im pretty impressed.
I have it connected to my solar supply, and have set it to a manual timer so that it turns on to heat the water when my solar is up to its higher production period from 9am till water is heated. It is supplying hot water for 4 adults. We often have family stay in a granny flat (another 2 young adults, which means long showers) and so I set the second timer to turn on for a couple of hours early in the morning to give the water a topup boost. I was pleasantly surprised by its noise level as its not too loud (noisier than air con compressor but less than pool pump) and as it is on mostly in day hours, it doesnt affect us or the neighbours.

Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Good system, cheap to run, a little noisy in operation.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2018

Hot water system works well and keeps a good amount of water hot and functions as expected. System is a nice looking unit and good in general appearance. Is louder than expected when heating and external fan seems noisy than I was expecting. Definately wouldn't want it anywhere near a sleeping area.

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi Aaron, Thanks for leaving a review. There are a couple of options for mitigating and minimising the sound produced by our system. Please give us a call to discuss, I've sent you a private messa... read more »

Brisbane

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Very pleased with our decision to get a Hydrotherm

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2018

Buying a Hydrotherm to replace an aging hot water system has proved to be an excellent decision. The system only runs for an hour or so per day at a time when our solar system is delivering plenty of power, so our daily power from the grid has dropped from an average of 17Kwh to less than 10Kwh. Sound levels are also fine. Also pleased that the system run times can be controlled using its own built in clock.
Did a fair bit of research originally, and the Hydrotherm pricing was very competitive, and reviews by others were mostly very positive. Delivery of the unit was on time, and installation by The Gap Plumbing was professional and efficient.
Certainly happy to recommend the unit to others, and wouldn’t change our decision if getting a new system again.

Date Purchased: Nov 2017

Really an effective and efficient heating system.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2018

This machine is a great investment Above the usual base hot water systems. Has significantly reduced my electricity bill. Very smart machine where you can fix the settings to when you want it to heat and to what temperature. A great investment. Very happy with my decision to change to a heat pump.

• 1 question

Great

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 14, 2018

We purchased our Hydrotherm about 6-7 months ago, Love the Hydrotherm, is a little bit noisy but am happy with it. Have always got hot water, Lowers the power bill. Would recommend it to anyone wanting a new hot water system. The delivery man and plumber came when they said they would.

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi Maggies, Glad to hear that you're happy with your system and the savings to your hot water electricity bill. With regards to the noise, there are some things we can do to help (set timers etc... read more »

brisbane

• 3 helpful votes

best investment i've made

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 11, 2018

I purchased one of these about 6 month ago, so far i love it, my power bill has decreased dramatically, the water is hot all the time, the delivery team and plumber were here on time, I've recommended it to my friends. The fan is quite and the system work perfectly with my solar panels.

• 1 comment

Date Purchased: Feb 2018

Fantastic, looks good and performs even better

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 14, 2018

Replaced our Awful Dux system. Performs really well and is quieter than the old system.
Support provided by the company during research and procurement stages was great.
This unit displays the current water temperature and other details so is much more user friendly than other systems I investigated.
Only complaint was the cost of installation, which I thought was excessive.

1 of 3 pages