Raceview

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jul 2017

The best hot water system I've ever had

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2017

We installed a Hydrotherm Heat Pump hot water system in Jul 2017 and it is by far the best hot water system we've ever had. We replaced our old electric system and i did a lot of research about the best system to use. i looked up Choice Magazine, google, and Product Review to understand what's available and the pros and cons of the different types of systems. we were tossing between Solar and Heat Pump, and having used Solar before, I'm now glad that went along the path of Heat Pump and I'm particularly happy that we chose the Hydrotherm System .

while looking very slick and technologically advanced with an active control panel, the unit has easily managed to deliver hot water over and above our family's needs. We have not run out of hot water once although this was an usual occurrence while we had the electric system.

I don't have an electricity bill as yet, but it seems to me that the Heat pump only operates once a day and generally during the off-peak period for about 2hrs.

We used Advance Hot Water to supply and install the system and it was done very professionally. Particularly, Mike from Pegasus Plumbing did a fantastic job installing the unit and took the time to explain the system and how best to use it.

East Ryde, NSW

• 1 comment
  • 25 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Great unit with a few caveats

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2017

Our old Rheem unit was 17 years old and probably overdue for replacement. We decided to pre-empt its failure and picked the Hydrotherm for the neater all-in-one packaging compared to the other highly-recommended choice, the Sanden Eco.

Unfortunately I didn't check the Hydrotherm's size, and since I opted for an internal installation (with Hydrotherm's approval) it arrived in a box almost 2.1m tall, which didn't fit under my garage door opening which was 1.9m. I calculated that I would need to tilt the box 49 degrees, well past the maximum of
30 degrees indicated on the box. Thankfully Hydrotherm tech support is very responsive and they advised 49 degrees was ok as long as I let the unit sit for a while before turning it on.

Installation took half a day and required rewiring of the old hot water unit's circuit, so the combined electrical+plumbing installation bill actually cost more than the unit iself!

The flow rate is far higher than our old (nearly dead) Rheem so we need to install some flow reducers as we are running the 275L tank empty after 2 long showers. Apart from that the main observation is how noisy the unit is when installed internally... the sound faintly carries through the hallways at night but thankfully it is easy to configure to only run during the day.

It goes without saying that power usage is well down on the old unit, too early to give an accurate figure at the moment but it seems to be sucking less than half the juice!

edit: with flow reducers installed and some extra tips from the very helpful Hydrotherm tech support, the unit is now working absolutely perfectly. I have it set to run off my solar array during the day (so noise isn't a concern) and the water never gets cold. Happy to upgrade to 5 stars!

Brisbane

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Hydrotherm heat pump - reliable to date, decimated power bills!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2017

Installed April 2016

It replaced a 'Saxon' hot water system which had died. Particularly in winter I now have much more hot water (the Saxon was barely adequate) for much less expense.

Adam Taylor (recommended by Hydrotherm) did a professional and very reasonably priced job on the installation here in Brisbane. This involved a fair bit of work and extra valves as the Saxon plumbing was very simple.

The unit makes a bit of noise but where it's located, it doesn't bother me - it's 'white noise' anyway.

Exceeded my expectations and has slashed power bills over 60% consistently. My last quarterly power bill was just over $200, something I haven't seen for a long time!

Regards,
Greg

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Great product, great service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2017

We absolutely love our hydrotherm. It is significantly cheaper than previous systems, super efficient in the QLD climate, and the service is fantastic. Anyone considering it should just remember that it is about as noisy as the outside unit of an airconditioner, so position it away from bedroom windows and you will be entirely satisfied!

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Replaces Dux Airoheat with Hydrotherm

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 12, 2017

The Airoheat which had been great, let go and had to be replaced. The plumber suggested Hydrotherm and I have found it to be just as cost effective or maybe even better. It has not let me down in the 12 months I've had it so far. The only thing I am a little concerned about is if my grandkids have a go at touching the panel. As far as I am aware there is no locking PIN for the touchpad. So far though, no problems.

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi Shona, Glad to hear you're happy with your system. It's unlikely you're grandkids will get into major settings of the system (they're password protected). The worse they can do it change the tim... read more »

Oh thank you for that!

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Very loud machine but supplies hot water

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 12, 2017

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi Rebecca, I believe someone has been in contact with you regarding an inspection of the system. Our system is rated at 49dB which shouldn't be louder than any air conditioner. Regardless the tec... read more »

Date Purchased: May 2015

Excellent service..

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2017

I had a leak with the system and tried to contact the dealer but had the wrong number. I thought I would need a plumber however , the techs came out on a site insopection and saw the problem. The unit is being replaced under warranty. You do not get this sort of service often. Most impressed.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Happy with Hydrotherm Unit`s Heat Pump System.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2017

Replaced ten year old gas/ solar panel driven hot water unit with a Hydrotherm Rapid 55/x4/op unit a year ago . Recommended to me by the plumber on the job . Quick delivery and installation . We have been very happy with the unit , plenty of hot water all the time . Stainless steel outer, looks great and should have a long life span . Have recommended the unit to friends and neighbours . As the whole household uses power from our 14 Solar panels and our Hydrotherm Unit also derives it`s power the same way , so I cannot estimate how much ele ctric bill saving we have achived. So as the unit runs on solar power and we no longer use gas ...{ cancelled gas delivery/ connection . now only have electric cooking } we used to be billed about $ 1.30 PER DAY just to have gas piped in. So as the Hydrotherm unit heats all our water for $ nothing, there has to be a significant saving on our power bill. Very cost effective !

Date Purchased: Apr 2016

so far so good - appears cost effective

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 07, 2017

I have no doubt my system is more cost effective than my previous inefficient 10 yr old electric system. As a single person household I have never run out of hot water. However, I did when I had 2 visitors staying which surprised me as I thought it was sized for a family of 4. I also had several issues associated with the installation so I am wondering if tradies are used to installing this type of system. Hydro-therm however have been brilliant in their customer service.

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi Hammo, Thank you for the review. Sorry to hear you had issues with the installation of your system. All qualified plumbers can install heat pumps. Could you please email us at [email protected].. read more »

Date Purchased: May 2016

Excellent hot water system

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 07, 2017

We love our new system we have had it only 12 month with running a salon from home I never have been with out hot water . I would recommend this system to anyone and already have done so .The service is excellent when needed we purchased our system in a situation where our other had broken down Simon was so great our system was delivered next day after purchase he followed up to make shore it had arrived one installed he checked we were happy . Thank you Hydro Therm

Date Purchased: Sep 2015

Great Customer Service for Support

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 02, 2017

I had an Error Alarm overnight. I called their recommended plumber and he said to call the company as the error could be fixed by them (He thought it was an electronics issue). Hydrotherm then fixed the problem over the phone straight away (problem was with the factory settings). Thanks

Pottsville

• 3 comments
  • 1 question
  • 1 helpful vote

Date Purchased: Mar 2014

Alarm going off

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2017

System installed 3 years. Alarm problem past two years.Found necessary to upgrade to off peak controlled load level two in first year. Kept running out of hot water. (Household of 3 people-north coast of nsw.Beach area.)Judging by number of positive reviews we must have scored a "lemon". Not impressed considering the price paid and old simple off peak system lasted 16 years. Sorry not happy.

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi Kev,
Sorry to hear about your issues. I believe someone from the service department has been in contact to arrange a site visit. Please contact us on 1300 769 904 if you're not satisfied with the outcome.
Regards The Hydrotherm Team.

Yes we have received a service call visit and reviewed all system problems. Outcome is to replace the unit under warranty as it possibly has not functioned to capacity from the outset. Could not be... read more »

Well here we are almost three months later and still waiting. Supposed to have been replaced last week finally but failed to happen. We are beginning to wonder if it ever will. Our big concern is o... read more »

• 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Apr 2015

Very efficient, love the look and still going strong!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2017

I've had the hydrotherm for a couple of years now and love its modern look, it's also very economical to run and has many user settings that you can adjust to your preferences. I have had issues with water pressure being too high and making valves leak, but after my plumber installed a pressure reducing device I haven't had a problem. The hydrotherm guys also did service on my Unit for free.
Highly recommended.

Date Purchased: Jun 2014

5 star service, punctual, expert.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2017

I had a problem where I had lost hot water. I rang Hydrotherm at 2pm on Friday before a long weekend. They were at my house within 3 hours. Problem was identified within minutes and resolved after 20 minutes. Hydrotherm rep (Chris) was very knowledgeable and friendly. Fantastic service and highly recommended.

Loganholme, QLD

• 9 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jan 2014

Good Customer Service

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2017

We very disappointed with our Hydrotherm Volt, after only 3 years it is leaking from all outlets and looking worse then the 20yo tank system it had replaced.

Hydrotherm advised that part of the problem was with the water quality in the area which contributes to bacteria build-up that cause seals to fail, apparently very common. The Volt is no longer manufactured so there was no direct replacement on offer, options were full refund or upgrade to a new (larger - better built) system for the cost of difference in price.

This was a good outcome and good customer service.

Hopefully the new larger system will be able to handle the water quality issues better.

Date Purchased: Jan 2012

great customer service.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 22, 2017

I had a small electrical component problem with system just over 5 years old, company owner came out same day and took just 10 minutes to fix it. I had no record of sale as I had lost it. Didn't charge me a cent. Customer service like that is very rare these days.

Excellent system and service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2017

After months of research on hot water systems, our plumber recommended this system. A year later and we have saved over 45% on our energy bill despite an extra person in the house for 5 months over winter! We have never run out of hot water. The service has been excellent - a great company to deal with. I highly recommended this product.

Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Cheaper bills and great service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2017

Did a fair bit of research before buying a replacement water heater; am open to new technology and generally willing to try new things - happy to report this beauty does all it promises and saves me cash in my bills (they all say that, right? This one has delivered!).

Although it looks a little space-age with its digital display, it doesn't require any programming or user maintenance - you don't need a degree to operate it (in fact, I haven't touched it since it was installed).

Haven't needed any after sales support - the machine just goes and does it's job without intervention. Had a complimentary service recently and found the experience professional and efficient - like the machine it supports. Thanks Hydrotherm!

Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Heat pump hot water system

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 19, 2017

Bought a house already fitted with a 300L heat pump system, which was then damaged by lightning strike a couple of years later. Hydrotherm were very helpful in sending someone to check it out and arranging a replacement when it could not be repaired. The new system was fitted very quickly and works great, they have just sent a technician to check it after 12 months use and provided a condition report. My power bills are low and this is one reason why.

STRATHPINE

• 1 answer

Date Purchased: Mar 2016

Great product, great service.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 17, 2017

I have been very impressed with the Hydrotherm system but I am even more impressed by the after-sales service.
The system has lived up to the pre-purchase performance promises and together with solar panels we have minimised the effect of the ridiculous electricity price hike. I have recommended the Hydrotherm system to my friends. Very happy with product and after-sales backup.

1 of 2 pages

I live in Ballarat area of country Victoria and am looking to replace an existing old gas HWS. We are Region 4 and the temperature can get down to below zero some mornings. How effective would the heat pump be and can it be supported in Victoria. Thanks Tim

Tim S asked on Aug 10, 2017

Answer this

Hi Tim, I asked the same question recently as we are looking to move to a colder part of Australia. The hydrotherm bloke I spoke with indicated that they still work in colder areas, I think minus 5 was the limit (although I'd recommend calling them to check), but the efficiency would be less than in a warmer climate. Based on the savings we currently see in our hot water bills, I think a hydrotherm would still be better than a conventional heater in terms of efficiency, but I'd definitely recommend you call them and have a chat about it.

Hi Tim,

Renee is correct, our system is rated to minus 5 degrees and all heat pumps do work more efficiently the hotter the ambient air temperature. What we'd recommend in your case Tim is that the system be set on timers to run only during the warmest part of the day, therefore running at it's most efficient and not during the cold parts of the day. We wouldn't be able to give a proper estimate to how much your hot water power bills would be reduced without knowing a lot more about your current system, but we would image it would be significant.

If you have anymore questions we'd be happy to have a chat, our number is 1300 769 904 or you can contact us at [email protected] .

Best Regards,
The Hydrotherm Team.

Thanks Renee and team, I think that the heat pump solution would be the best answer for us and the advice about a timer seems to be borne out from other comments (maybe you should make it a built in option - after all its just a bit more programming and buttons!). My recollection in my past is that Hydrotherm were one of the original makers of wall mounted boiling water units: is that the case?

Tim

How much Warranty anf how long is the unit expected to last

Shantelle asked on Jul 13, 2017

Hi Shantelle,

Our systems have a 15 year pro-rata warranty on the tank, 5 year warranty on all parts (including the Panasonic compressor) and 2 years labour charges are covered. The expected life span of the systems are between 10-15 years. Please contact us on 1300 769 904 or at [email protected] for more information.

Best Regards.

Our Hydrotherm was installed about 3-4 yrs ago , the problem I have is the is the alarm goes off regularly what would cause this? Margaret

Maggie asked on Jun 27, 2017

Hi Maggie

Sorry I'm not a technician, just a residential user. I would suggest contacting Hydrotherm on PH: 1300 769 904. Best of luck.

Regards,
Greg

Hi Maggie,
The most likely cause would be an A5 Alarm. It's caused by an oversensitive pressure switch. To fix the alarm, please visit https://www.hydrothermhotwatersystems.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Hydrotherm-A5-alarm-fix.pdf . Otherwise as Greg said, you can call us at 1300 769 904 and we'd be happy to fix it over the phone with you in minutes.
Best Regards,