• 1 answer

Date Purchased: Sep 2014

Great customer service And warranty

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2017

Had my 180l system for 3 years now and it's started to leak around main outlet. Emailed them and they were straight out same day. Getting full refund as the model I have is no longer made.
Common problem due to water reacting with stainless.
New model is meant to be better. Will see hopefully.
Really impressed with warranty and after sales service. Especially chris the tech/sales person.

• 1 question

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2014

Not good service - unreliable unit

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2017

We installed a hydrotherm hot water system 2014. Good hot water supply, noise acceptable and bills did decrease. Two years in and a sensor had to be replaced - which was fine. Fast forward to 2017, and noticed water was leaking from the system. After a couple of weeks of to-and-froing with the Hydrotherm guy on the phone, someone finally came and checked it out. The service guy fixed the fan (which had stopped working) and replaced a sensor which was broken. The "leaking" was actually heat pump condensation which, instead of following along channels to the rear of the unit & empting out the back and into a drain, decided to empty into the unit itself. It was "hoped" that the repairs performed would fix this. Two more service visits (so 3 in total) and several weeks later, the problem is still not fixed. Seem out of their depth with their own product, and the delay associated with trying to resolve this issue (now at least 6 weeks) completely unacceptable, especially as under my house continues to fill up with litres and litres of water...

- if you're looking for a heat pump hot water system I would try somewhere else, it looks like I'll have to... Although it would also appear, after looking at reviews of purchases older than 3-4 years ago, a lot of heat pump systems seem to have "issues".

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi swmilliner, Sorry to hear about the issues you had with your system. I have been in contact with the service department and the issue with the condensation was one they hadn’t experienced bef... read more »

Yes - I have just located an email (sent 13/9/2017 - the day my review was written) providing details of a full refund. That was fast! Lucky someone rang to notify me, as I had no idea you were c... read more »

Raceview

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jul 2017

The best hot water system I've ever had

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2017

We installed a Hydrotherm Heat Pump hot water system in Jul 2017 and it is by far the best hot water system we've ever had. We replaced our old electric system and i did a lot of research about the best system to use. i looked up Choice Magazine, google, and Product Review to understand what's available and the pros and cons of the different types of systems. we were tossing between Solar and Heat Pump, and having used Solar before, I'm now glad that went along the path of Heat Pump and I'm particularly happy that we chose the Hydrotherm System.

while looking very slick and technologically advanced with an active control panel, the unit has easily managed to deliver hot water over and above our family's needs. We have not run out of hot water once although this was an usual occurrence while we had the electric system.

I don't have an electricity bill as yet, but it seems to me that the Heat pump only operates once a day and generally during the off-peak period for about 2hrs.

We used Advance Hot Water to supply and install the system and it was done very professionally. Particularly, Mike from Pegasus Plumbing did a fantastic job installing the unit and took the time to explain the system and how best to use it.

East Ryde, NSW

• 26 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Great unit with a few caveats

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2017

Our old Rheem unit was 17 years old and probably overdue for replacement. We decided to pre-empt its failure and picked the Hydrotherm for the neater all-in-one packaging compared to the other highly-recommended choice, the Sanden Eco.

Unfortunately I didn't check the Hydrotherm's size, and since I opted for an internal installation (with Hydrotherm's approval) it arrived in a box almost 2.1m tall, which didn't fit under my garage door opening which was 1.9m. I calculated that I would need to tilt the box 49 degrees, well past the maximum of 30 degrees indicated on the box. Thankfully Hydrotherm tech support is very responsive and they advised 49 degrees was ok as long as I let the unit sit for a while before turning it on.

Installation took half a day and required rewiring of the old hot water unit's circuit, so the combined electrical+plumbing installation bill actually cost more than the unit iself!

The flow rate is far higher than our old (nearly dead) Rheem so we need to install some flow reducers as we are running the 275L tank empty after 2 long showers. Apart from that the main observation is how noisy the unit is when installed internally... the sound faintly carries through the hallways at night but thankfully it is easy to configure to only run during the day.

It goes without saying that power usage is well down on the old unit, too early to give an accurate figure at the moment but it seems to be sucking less than half the juice!

edit: with flow reducers installed and some extra tips from the very helpful Hydrotherm tech support, the unit is now working absolutely perfectly. I have it set to run off my solar array during the day (so noise isn't a concern) and the water never gets cold. Happy to upgrade to 5 stars!

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Hydrotherm heat pump - reliable to date, decimated power bills!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2017

Installed April 2016

It replaced a 'Saxon' hot water system which had died. Particularly in winter I now have much more hot water (the Saxon was barely adequate) for much less expense.

Adam Taylor (recommended by Hydrotherm) did a professional and very reasonably priced job on the installation here in Brisbane. This involved a fair bit of work and extra valves as the Saxon plumbing was very simple.

The unit makes a bit of noise but where it's located, it doesn't bother me - it's 'white noise' anyway.

Exceeded my expectations and has slashed power bills over 60% consistently. My last quarterly power bill was just over $200, something I haven't seen for a long time!

Regards,
Greg

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Great product, great service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2017

We absolutely love our hydrotherm. It is significantly cheaper than previous systems, super efficient in the QLD climate, and the service is fantastic. Anyone considering it should just remember that it is about as noisy as the outside unit of an airconditioner, so position it away from bedroom windows and you will be entirely satisfied!

• 1 answer

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Replaces Dux Airoheat with Hydrotherm

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 12, 2017

The Airoheat which had been great, let go and had to be replaced. The plumber suggested Hydrotherm and I have found it to be just as cost effective or maybe even better. It has not let me down in the 12 months I've had it so far. The only thing I am a little concerned about is if my grandkids have a go at touching the panel. As far as I am aware there is no locking PIN for the touchpad. So far though, no problems.

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi Shona, Glad to hear you're happy with your system. It's unlikely you're grandkids will get into major settings of the system (they're password protected). The worse they can do it change the tim... read more »

Oh thank you for that!

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Very loud machine but supplies hot water

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 12, 2017

We installed the system 1 year ago when we moved into our new place. I can't compare savings as it was a new place/new account. Once the system arrived (there were a few delays with the incorrect system being ordered and then delays at the shipping yard), our plumbers easily installed it. Unfortunately, the system is very loud! It is placed down the side of our house, away from our living areas, but we can hear the humming sound and we are sure it's annoying for our neighbours. We would not have installed if we knew the noise it would produce a few times a day! We were told by Hydrotherm that it is a very quiet system. No hot water system, in my experience, has ever made this noise. On the plus side, we never run out of hot water. According to Hydrotherm our 'hot water electricity cost is low' at around $.30 a day from looking at our bill. There are 2 adults and 1 child in our house.

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi Rebecca, I believe someone has been in contact with you regarding an inspection of the system. Our system is rated at 49dB which shouldn't be louder than any air conditioner. Regardless the tec... read more »

Date Purchased: May 2015

Excellent service..

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2017

I had a leak with the system and tried to contact the dealer but had the wrong number. I thought I would need a plumber however , the techs came out on a site insopection and saw the problem. The unit is being replaced under warranty. You do not get this sort of service often. Most impressed.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Happy with Hydrotherm Unit`s Heat Pump System.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2017

Replaced ten year old gas/ solar panel driven hot water unit with a Hydrotherm Rapid 55/x4/op unit a year ago . Recommended to me by the plumber on the job . Quick delivery and installation . We have been very happy with the unit , plenty of hot water all the time . Stainless steel outer, looks great and should have a long life span . Have recommended the unit to friends and neighbours . As the whole household uses power from our 14 Solar panels and our Hydrotherm Unit also derives it`s power the same way , so I cannot estimate how much electric bill saving we have achived. So as the unit runs on solar power and we no longer use gas ...{ cancelled gas delivery/ connection . now only have electric cooking } we used to be billed about $ 1.30 PER DAY just to have gas piped in. So as the Hydrotherm unit heats all our water for $ nothing, there has to be a significant saving on our power bill. Very cost effective !

Date Purchased: Apr 2016

so far so good - appears cost effective

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 07, 2017

I have no doubt my system is more cost effective than my previous inefficient 10 yr old electric system. As a single person household I have never run out of hot water. However, I did when I had 2 visitors staying which surprised me as I thought it was sized for a family of 4. I also had several issues associated with the installation so I am wondering if tradies are used to installing this type of system. Hydro-therm however have been brilliant in their customer service.

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi Hammo, Thank you for the review. Sorry to hear you had issues with the installation of your system. All qualified plumbers can install heat pumps. Could you please email us at [email protected] read more »

Date Purchased: May 2016

Excellent hot water system

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 07, 2017

We love our new system we have had it only 12 month with running a salon from home I never have been with out hot water . I would recommend this system to anyone and already have done so .The service is excellent when needed we purchased our system in a situation where our other had broken down Simon was so great our system was delivered next day after purchase he followed up to make shore it had arrived one installed he checked we were happy . Thank you Hydro Therm

Date Purchased: Sep 2015

Great Customer Service for Support

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 02, 2017

I had an Error Alarm overnight. I called their recommended plumber and he said to call the company as the error could be fixed by them (He thought it was an electronics issue). Hydrotherm then fixed the problem over the phone straight away (problem was with the factory settings). Thanks

Pottsville

• 3 comments
  • 1 question
  • 1 helpful vote

Date Purchased: Mar 2014

Alarm going off

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2017

System installed 3 years. Alarm problem past two years.Found necessary to upgrade to off peak controlled load level two in first year. Kept running out of hot water. (Household of 3 people-north coast of nsw.Beach area.)Judging by number of positive reviews we must have scored a "lemon". Not impressed considering the price paid and old simple off peak system lasted 16 years. Sorry not happy.

Comments
Hydrotherm Official

Hi Kev,
Sorry to hear about your issues. I believe someone from the service department has been in contact to arrange a site visit. Please contact us on 1300 769 904 if you're not satisfied with the outcome.
Regards The Hydrotherm Team.

Yes we have received a service call visit and reviewed all system problems. Outcome is to replace the unit under warranty as it possibly has not functioned to capacity from the outset. Could not be... read more »

Well here we are almost three months later and still waiting. Supposed to have been replaced last week finally but failed to happen. We are beginning to wonder if it ever will. Our big concern is o... read more »

• 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Apr 2015

Very efficient, love the look and still going strong!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2017

I've had the hydrotherm for a couple of years now and love its modern look, it's also very economical to run and has many user settings that you can adjust to your preferences. I have had issues with water pressure being too high and making valves leak, but after my plumber installed a pressure reducing device I haven't had a problem. The hydrotherm guys also did service on my Unit for free.
Highly recommended.

Date Purchased: Jun 2014

5 star service, punctual, expert.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2017

I had a problem where I had lost hot water. I rang Hydrotherm at 2pm on Friday before a long weekend. They were at my house within 3 hours. Problem was identified within minutes and resolved after 20 minutes. Hydrotherm rep (Chris) was very knowledgeable and friendly. Fantastic service and highly recommended.

Loganholme, QLD

• 10 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jan 2014

Good Customer Service

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2017

We very disappointed with our Hydrotherm Volt, after only 3 years it is leaking from all outlets and looking worse then the 20yo tank system it had replaced.

Hydrotherm advised that part of the problem was with the water quality in the area which contributes to bacteria build-up that cause seals to fail, apparently very common. The Volt is no longer manufactured so there was no direct replacement on offer, options were full refund or upgrade to a new (larger - better built) system for the cost of difference in price.

This was a good outcome and good customer service.

Hopefully the new larger system will be able to handle the water quality issues better.

Date Purchased: Jan 2012

great customer service.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 22, 2017

I had a small electrical component problem with system just over 5 years old, company owner came out same day and took just 10 minutes to fix it. I had no record of sale as I had lost it. Didn't charge me a cent. Customer service like that is very rare these days.

Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Excellent system and service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2017

After months of research on hot water systems, our plumber recommended this system. A year later and we have saved over 45% on our energy bill despite an extra person in the house for 5 months over winter! We have never run out of hot water. The service has been excellent - a great company to deal with. I highly recommended this product.

Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Cheaper bills and great service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2017

Did a fair bit of research before buying a replacement water heater; am open to new technology and generally willing to try new things - happy to report this beauty does all it promises and saves me cash in my bills (they all say that, right? This one has delivered!).

Although it looks a little space-age with its digital display, it doesn't require any programming or user maintenance - you don't need a degree to operate it (in fact, I haven't touched it since it was installed).

Haven't needed any after sales support - the machine just goes and does it's job without intervention. Had a complimentary service recently and found the experience professional and efficient - like the machine it supports. Thanks Hydrotherm!

1 of 2 pages

Hi-we've just had a hydrothermal installed at our house. The plumber who installed it said that we would need to change our tariff from Tariff 33 to Tariff 11 to get the benefits of reduced hot water costs. Is this correct? Alison

Jeff and Alison asked on Oct 18, 2017

Hi Alison & Jeff,

Choosing the correct Tariff will depend on your unique circumstances. The most common situation that it would be beneficial to switch from Tariff 11 to Tariff 33 would be if you have a Solar PV system at your home and you wish to run you Hydrotherm during hours when your solar is likely to be producing energy. The reason it’s necessary to change the system from Tariff 33 to Tariff 11 is that only Tariff 11 power consumption is netted against your solar production. You would also need to set the inbuilt timers on the system to run between 10:00am- 4:00pm, when solar production is at its highest.

If the system remains on Tariff 33 then you will always be running the Hydrotherm at a current rate of $0.23/kWh while the rate for Tariff 11 is $0.28/kWh. However the advantage having the system on Tariff 11 is that rather then selling back energy to your provider at a low rate of $0.06 - $0.08, you can utilise the energy being produced and therefore offset the cost of purchasing energy from the grid (when the timers aren’t running). Effectively running the Hydrotherm off your Solar PV would result in a net saving of approximately $0.16 per kWh (compared to having the system run on Tariff 33). For an average home using approximately 2–3kW a day this can result in additional savings of approximately $200 or more per year.

However it’s important to be aware you don’t want to do this if your Solar PV System was connected prior to 10 July 2012 as you would most likely be on an older 44c Feed-in. Here a link to one of our blogs that discuss this scenario. https://www.hydrothermhotwatersystems.com.au/blogs-categories/savings/when-shouldnt-you-be-using-the-energy-from-your-solar-panels/

If Solar PV is not a factor in your decision-making, then you can leave your system connected to Tariff 33. However we still encourage the use of timers so the system heats during the day at times of highest efficiency.

Here is an example of the two different Tariffs using an estimated power consumption of 2.5kW per day or 900kW per year for a typical home:

Tariff 11 – 900kW per annum x $0.28 = $252.00 per annum
Tariff 33 – 900kW per annum x $0.23 = $207.00 per annum

So a typical home using 2.5 kW a day to run their Hydrotherm, the difference between Tariff 33 or Tariff 11 would be approximately $50 per year.

If you have any further questions please feel free to call us directly on 1300 769 904 and we will be happy to discuss further.

Best Regards,
The Hydrotherm Team

I just installed rnd 3 mnth ago (plum er by trade)and today after work i had no hot water any more. it stoped warking .no signal of any power . Need someone to help me out I am in Carindale qld. Regards

Dan asked on Sep 15, 2017

Hi dan
Is the cb tripped in switchboard? If not. I suggest log a warranty call with hydrotherm and from what i experienced they should be able to help pretty quick. Also message them through face book if you have it.

Jon

Hi Dan

If you are on an off-peak power meter check to see if the tariff has been turned back on. It happens frequently that the ripple signal is not sent and power not turned on.

Otherwise call 1300 769 904 or 0401 545 412
For technical help

I live in Ballarat area of country Victoria and am looking to replace an existing old gas HWS. We are Region 4 and the temperature can get down to below zero some mornings. How effective would the heat pump be and can it be supported in Victoria. Thanks Tim

Tim S asked on Aug 10, 2017

Answer this

Hi Tim, I asked the same question recently as we are looking to move to a colder part of Australia. The hydrotherm bloke I spoke with indicated that they still work in colder areas, I think minus 5 was the limit (although I'd recommend calling them to check), but the efficiency would be less than in a warmer climate. Based on the savings we currently see in our hot water bills, I think a hydrotherm would still be better than a conventional heater in terms of efficiency, but I'd definitely recommend you call them and have a chat about it.

Hi Tim,

Renee is correct, our system is rated to minus 5 degrees and all heat pumps do work more efficiently the hotter the ambient air temperature. What we'd recommend in your case Tim is that the system be set on timers to run only during the warmest part of the day, therefore running at it's most efficient and not during the cold parts of the day. We wouldn't be able to give a proper estimate to how much your hot water power bills would be reduced without knowing a lot more about your current system, but we would image it would be significant.

If you have anymore questions we'd be happy to have a chat, our number is 1300 769 904 or you can contact us at [email protected] .

Best Regards,
The Hydrotherm Team.

Thanks Renee and team, I think that the heat pump solution would be the best answer for us and the advice about a timer seems to be borne out from other comments (maybe you should make it a built in option - after all its just a bit more programming and buttons!). My recollection in my past is that Hydrotherm were one of the original makers of wall mounted boiling water units: is that the case?

Tim