Filter By:

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Bad customer service and the assessor do not approve the repair work yet

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

NRMA customer hit the front of my car. After I got the claim number, I sent my car to repair. However, I and the repairer have been waiting for the assessor to approve the work for a month and until now the assessor hasn't had chance to review and approve the repair work!! I am very frustrated with the process and have to waste my time on calling NRMA customer services to follow up the case for over a month with nothing. Every time I called NRMA customer services, I had to wait about one hour. Also every time the customer services advised me to wait for the assessor to contact back..(which now has been waiting for one month). They couldn't help you to solve the problems and some are very rude and not professional in service. Also I don't understand how the NRMA assessors working in the industry. It seems they are very lazy persons. I wonder how they get paid from NRMA? They don't care how their customers have been waiting for. They just hold the process and don't try to resolve the case. I am very stressful and don't know when my car will be fixed.I just hope I will get some good news before XMas. I will not suggest anyone to buy car insurance from NRMA.

Car accident

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

I had an accident and had to go through nrma and they were great really understanding and were on my side they made the whole process very easy for me

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

So lovely to hear LJ92, thanks for your feedback ~Renae

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Their poor system rejected my claim

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 08, 2018

I have been with this company for over years but I did not expected I will be traped in their poor payment system where I did saved my new card details when making payment due to my bank account was compromised and I couldn’t able to use my own account for sometimes in this year.

Their online members login system is not accurate and did not saved my partners card details for all future payments. They did not receive payment and deactivated my policy. They are claiming that they have sent a letter on my mailbox which I did not received ( my newely orderd debit master card was stolen from mailbox and someone spent over $200 from my account) how I would be getting their letter for not getting any payment.

If they have not received any payment they should send a text message or call me before deactivating my policy ( to think about someone’s protection rather then money) I would have paid them if I knew that their system is failed to save my new payment details.

I had a minor accident in the time when I was not covered by nrma, and I got to then that I was not covered since last 2 months. Contacted customer relation manager regarding this issue.

I would definitely not recommend them. Give an opportunity to new insurance companies like Woolworths, you dont know unless you try them. Been with nrma since 3-4 years now I regret being with them.

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi Rajveer, sorry to hear about the issues with your card. We always email you a dishonour notice with details about what will happen if you don't pay by a certain time and we also give you 30 days... read more »

• 3 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Be Careful. They do not disclose how their system works until too late

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2018

FYI
This is a heads up, we have learnt the hard way.
If your vehicle is written off, they will not refund the unused portion of your insurance, even if you're not at fault.
Eg. You pay your insurance today for $2000, tomorrow you have an accident, even if you're not at fault they keep your full $2000. When you get a new car you will have to pay for a new policy.
My advice, over insure to cover yourself.
Also, if you're not at fault, once they settle your claim you can no longer have a hire car. you have 3 business days to return the car.
NRMA are very non-customer focused from this respect. If you're in a not at fault accident they're not working to help you out except to do the bare minimum.
I am waiting for the Uber of the insurance industry to come, so I can deal with a company that is disrupting this industry.
I am moving all my policies from NRMA to another insurer, it's a big job, but NRMA do not deserve my loyalty of over 25 years, they don't treat you any differently.

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hey Ben, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Every insurance company is the same, no insurance company will refund you the premium in a total loss claim. When you have an insurance contract, we agree... read more »

Brighton

• 3 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Regretful, but glad i'm not with them anymore

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2018

Low standard of customer service, ever. If there is a claim that you're not happy with, they will be passive aggressive. They will interrupt you while you're talking, they are very rude over the phone. If there is an issue, they will talk to you as if you're the offender straight away. If you're trying to explain yourself, they will get really rude.They definitely need an entire course in dealing with people, and the customer service department should be aware that they're roving a service, not collecting debt. Really never again with NRMA, that is why they don't let you write a review on their website, obviously their level of satisfaction on their website is HIGH, biased like anything else in their company. In the beggining when you're payin, they are really nice, but wait until something happens, and you will regret your decision, no doubt.

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi Sam, thanks for sharing your recent claims experience and we are very sad to see you are unhappy with the level of service you received. This certainly doesn't sound like the level of service we... read more »

• 1 comment
Private message

Only deserve a minus rating...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

Member for 35yrs.. finally decided to move on and save 980$ On my car insurance by going with Woolworths... amazing!!!
Nrma decided to go into my account after the policy was cancelled and continued to deduct money without my consent... have not resolved the issue yet.. but have ceased all of my policies with them... have done my calculations and realised I had handed over more than $90,000 to them over 35 yrs... save your money and move on ...

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi Mzlego, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Every company offers different features and benefits with their policies so pricing will differ from company to company. If we can help resolve the issu... read more »

Insurance claim

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

NRMA customer hit the rear of my car. Dealing with the insurance company has been very painful. Holds off up to 1.5h to be redirected to someone else who doesn't know how to fix issue. Min hold 45min! Inconsistency with provided information. Very stressful situation is being made even more difficult. Because of going through this experience, I would never purchase insurance product from NRMA.

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi Ala, we are very sorry for the wait times with our settlements team, please PM our Facebook page and we can arrange a call back for you to save you waiting on the phone in the future. ~Kaz

Sydney’s

Condescending and Bullying Behaviour

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 01, 2018

The roof and the bonnet of our car were dented by hailstones, and when NRMA sent out an assessor, the assessor disclosed to us his ‘professional opinion’, which was that the dents were ‘created by a little hammer‘. For some reason this particular assessor still agreed to the repaires, as if he was doing us a favour, if we go to the one he appoints. Seeing how condescending and unreasonable this offer was, my partner declined his offer and requested a different assessor.
The second assessor from NRMA this time claimed that some of the dents were created by hail, whereas some other dents with identical appearance were miraculously not. I would include a photo if it is possible. When asked about the basis on which the judgement was made, we were told that ‘dents created by hail cannot be this round’. When the dents are equally round, it really baffles me as to why some are assessed as hail damage some are not. And when we asked what they think could possibly result in such dents, he said ‘it’s your car.’ The assessor circled 27 larger dents on the car with a marker, claiming that they were not the result of the hail, leaving only a handful smaller ones that they are willing to pay for repairs.
We find it unfortunate and outrageous that a company such as has NRMA would go to such extreme to avoid paying, and we were subsequently told by friends that having Asian names can make us easy targets for insurance companies to push around. I hope it is not true. As we know that the dents were definitely created by the hailstones, and have taken photos immediately after the incident, we would go to know end to resolve this issue. As a matter of fact, we have taken this matter to Ombudsman and if necessary, we will not hesitate to involve a lawyer as we know NRMA would be responsible for all the charges incurred.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Lulu, sorry to hear you are unhappy with the assessment of the hail damage on your car. We would be happy to escalate your concerns to the claims manager, can you PM this page or our Facebook page ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Worst car insurance ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2018

I had a no fault claim. The third party has NRMA insurance. I spent three hours getting through to the claims team to get a hire car. Spent nearly hours and hours trying to get the claim sorted. My car is a write off and I have no clue what they are doing or what at what stage my claim is. Nobody is bothered to update me. Even if I try calling them after an hour they say they can't help. Also one of the lady I spoke to was so agitated and refused to provide me with any help. I have already spent about 10 hours on the phone and my claim is still unresolved. If there was option for no star I would recommend that

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi there, thanks for sharing your recent experience with us. We are sorry to hear that your claim is not travelling according to plan. We are aware of our current wait times and can assure you we h... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Insurance claim made

Think carefully before insuring with NRMA

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2018

Making the claim was as expected a simple phone call, the problem began when i wanted my repairer not one of NRMA preferred repairers.As i have very poor results when my vehicle was repaired by the NRMA preferred repairer on two occasions. A claim number was allocated and the repairer tried to quote the vehicle there was a pending message attached to the claim. I contacted NRMA olny to discover that there customer service is designed to hinder not help the customer No fewer than eight phone called through NRMAs mene call center with their customer service adviser reading from a prewritten script After many attempts to contact complaints department (which i was told by one advisor NRMA does not have a public complaints department) I finally spoke to an complaints office. the first conversation was positive however the promise to fix the pending statement on the repairers sight was not removed. In fact that evening i received an invoice to pay. On contacting NRMA again there operator informed me that i had not paid my monthly installment My policy is paid in full annually and i gave them the receipt number. This did not satisfy the operator, i asked to be connected to the complaints department and gave them the persons name that i spoke to the previous day there was an attempt to connect to the department however on contact the line dropped out this occurred twice.

I made contact with NRMA via there menu line and eventually contacted yet another operator went through the preamble required for privacy policy for the fifteen time As before it takes five to ten minute to get through only to find that NRMA customer operators could not careless about the policy holder.
At the time of placing this review it has taken four days and many frustrating phone calls My vehicle has not been repaired I have had to cancel my holiday accommodations I can only hope that a new week will bring better news and the vehicle will finally be repaired
THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE INSURING YOUR VEHICLE WITH NRMA

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi Ryan, thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are sorry to hear the claim and the repairs are not travelling as expected. We are more than happy to organise a call back for you ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Customer service - Zero!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2018

Don't expect any form of customer service via phone call. After waiting on hold and a very brief conversation they simply hang up on you mid-sentence. Guess they don't like long term customers trying to make a claim. Going to cancel my car insurance with them and go elsewhere.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi Darren, thank you for letting us know about your recent experience. We are dissapointed to hear you were not contacted back after the call dropped out. We are aware of our current wait times and... read more »

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer
  • 4 helpful votes

Exceedingly Poor Customer Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 22, 2018

Recently I submitted a claim where I was unsure who was at fault. I felt that the other driver may be making a fraudulent claim and as she was uninsured and threatening legal action I filed a claim with the NRMA.
On the 20th of November I received at letter dated the 12th which was a reminder notice that my excess was due. When I called to ask about it, the obviously foreign customer service office could not give me any details about the status of my claim or if I had been confirmed at fault. She just kept demanding my excess payment. I was put on hold for 5 to 10 minutes every time I asked a question.
As my hours have been reduced at work, my partner and I have a poor cash flow situation at the moment and I asked to be able to pay the excess in instalments. The lady because extremely judgemental and said she would send the form and "if I am actually facing hardship" they would assess my "alleged" situation. I am already hugely stressed about money so this condescending attitude was extremely hurtful.
When I then asked how the claim would proceed, I mentioned that I see the other party nearly every day and they are verbally abusive. She then said she had recorded my accusation of "quote, unquote, abuse" (her words)
Basically I was left feeling as if the NRMA does not listen to or believe in its customers, and as if they are not interested in anything without paying them. So much for the ads that mentioned help and compassion.
I have 3 policies with NRMA, 2 of which I will he cancelling and once the claim is sorted I will cancel that too. I don't pay money to be belittled and given the run around.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi Jessica, sorry that you have had this experience with your claim. All of our staff are trained the same way and should be empathetic to each individual's personal circumstance. The Social Team... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Absolutely hopeless can’t talk to anybody just get put on hold for an hour!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2018

No service because nobody wanted to talk just get put on hold, I got to talk to somebody until they realised it was about a claim then put on hold for an hour.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi Russ, thanks for letting us know about your lack of service. This is definitely not how you should be left feeling. If you would like the Social Team to escalate your concerns, you can PM us v... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Terrible settlement customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 19, 2018

Very terrible settlement customer service, been ringing them for 3 days and always with long queue. Once connected after 30 minutes, they will say the system is down. The victim is the one chasing them and not the other way around. You are fast in ringing the insurer to pay the excess but you're not ringing the victim on what to do next. It's the victim who keeps ringing them and not the other way around. It's a big hassle for the victim. Please improve your settlement team customer service and please show your real care to the victims.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi Ralph, we are very sorry about the experience you have had we do appreciate it has been quite hard to get in touch with the settlements team over the last few months we are working as hard as we... read more »

Terrible customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

They dont answer the phone waited one hour and they ignored my call. Said they would call back but didnt

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Jstyles, sorry to hear about the wait times, could you private message our Facebook page with your claim details and we can arrange a callback for you to help. ~Kaz

Sydney

Private message

Never any problems claiming.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2018

We have had everything of any value insured by NRMA since we were married in 1973, longer if we count my husbands cars when he was single. Never any problems with claiming. (Had to put purchase date but it doesn't go before 1998)

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

AWonderful to hear Barb! thanks so much for your years of loyalty. Please let us know if you need anything ~Renae

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes
Private message

The more years you keep your policy, the more expensive they get

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 11, 2018

I kept the policy for 2 years, and in the third year the premium increased significantly.
None of the other insurers were charging that high amount. As a result I cancelled the policy I'm moving to other provider with similar coverage.
All the discounts are just to show you are getting the best deal, but NO. It's of no use.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi MPark, thank you for taking the time to give your honest feedback. If you would like the Social Team to check your renewal and ensure all is correct, please feel free to PM us your details. ~Renae

Answer quick to take payment but not when its time to pay

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2018

I have been with them for years and always got through via phone to pay for my policies, I recently had an accident (not at fault) and have spent 1.15hrs on hold and no answer, tried web chat they couldn’t help and referred me back to the phone number I originally called, tried messenger and late responses and they can’t help, requested a call back and 4 days on NOTHING, this will be the last year I remain with this brothelised organisation.

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi Rob, thank you so much for taking the time to review and give your honest feedback. We are sorry that you have been left feeling like this after your claim. A claim should be pain-free and sim... read more »

Canberra

• 2 comments

Will avoid in future

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

Home address is Canberra - got into an accident in Sydney and needed the car towed to a Canberra partner repairer as I was reluctant to have it repaired in Sydney (workmanship defects are guaranteed for life, however have to be rectified at original repairer and Canberra is 240kms from Sydney).
NRMA said they needed approval to freight the car that distance and booked me into a Canberra repairer - I called the repairer about 5 days after my initial conversation with NRMA to see if they had received the car and were beginning repairs.
1. The car still had not been freighted.
2. This particular repairer does not accept cars off a truck.
So NRMA had not freighted the car - even if it had, it would've arrived at the repairer and they would not have taken it in. Called back and was told the approval for the freight was still pending after 5 days because an assessor was on leave and that they would allocate me another repairer.
That was done and I called the second repairer just to ensure they would be ok to receive the car once freighted. Turns out this repairer is a prestige repairer that only works on Mercedes etc. as per their contract with NRMA - my car was a Toyota Corolla. Once again the NRMA had booked me into a repairer that would not have accepted my car even if it had arrived. I called back and was allocated a third repairer.
Two weeks later and I'm still waiting on the freight to happen and nothing has been done about the repairs, I'm not really even sure where the car is in Sydney as I am back at home in Canberra.
Main problems with NRMA are;
1. A different consultant every time I call the claims line and I have to explain the whole story again.
2. Consultants based overseas with no understanding of distances (I was told at 8am that the car would be in Canberra 9am that same day from Sydney - not sure how that was ever going to happen)
3. Each different consultant is incompetent in some way (incorrect repairer allocation, no follow up with assessor for freight approval (if an assessor is on leave, is that really the customer's issue to deal with?), told me an investigation was going to happen into the claim to determine fault (subsequent consultants have no notes on this actually happening - at this point I don't really care and would rather just pay the excess and have the car back)).

Awful experience - and I say this regrettably as I used to be a sales consultant for the NRMA and would have stood by them making the claims experience easier than other insurance companies. Unfortunately that is not the case - I have claimed through AAMI and RAC before and it has never been this difficult.

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi Marilyn, so sorry to hear your claims experience is not up to the level of service you should expect from us here at NRMA. Can you PM the page or PM our Facebook page so we can escalate your con... read more »

Update: incident was on 27/10, handed the car over on 28/10 - there is still no estimated date on when I can have the car back. Contacted NRMA on their Facebook page on 12/11, response saying they... read more »

NRMA Insurance Official

Sorry to hear you have not received a resolution Marilyn, I have just escalated your comments through to upper management in the claims department. I have asked for them to call you within 24 bus... read more »

Poor handling of claim.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2018

I couldn't find the Insurance claim review for motorbike so I am just going to write here.

I have been with NRMA for about 6 months. I started a claim for my motorbike for a hit and run accident. The driver didn't stay to leave his details but I have a witness, police event no. and a plate no. to work with. Contacted NRMA about the accident and it has been about 3 weeks and my claim is still being processed. Had contacted NRMA about some updates but received conflicting information from the repairer and NRMA. One such is that NRMA claimed they did not receive any photo for inspection but my repairer has submitted the required documents. Another issue was that the repairer could not give a quote due to parts not being available in australia anymore and the claim got stuck without me knowing until I asked for an update. Just recently I asked if I need to pay for the excess since it was a hit and run and I am not at fault but was informed that I need to get the driver's details from the police to waive off the excess. I told the staff that I am not allow to gather such information from the police and that it is the job of NRMA to find out from the police. That why I had given NRMA the event number to find out the details. I have spoken with the police to confirm this.

Overall, this is a horrible experience I had with NRMA. A simple claim that became so complex and confusing.

Comments
NRMA Insurance Official

Hi Ryan, we can understand your disappointment with your recent claims experience. If we can help bring this to the attention of the manager please PM the page or our Facebook page and we would be happy to help in any way we can. ~Kaz

1 of 28 pages

had Accident and nrma insurer at fault,he agreed.shirt time NRMA organised time to take my car to repairer for 39 mins to take pics etc n make quote and asset,was Friday.monday I called to do cash settlement but NRMA said I should be dropping car today for repair.(LIE)I asked try if can do cash settlement as never driven accident car before.after making some story ABCD I’m lucky he didn’t ordered parts,NRMA replies.but when asked for quite 2 weeks haven’t got so paid from pocket $280 and get quote from another repairer and send following day in calling said $1800 there rapier did make quote.Lucky I have proof that fingure he told was more then double.sorry $1800 nrma send me to another repairer coz $4000 repairer either didn’t send or NRMA HIDE QUOTE.mine is $3400 (approved by certified accessor)first nrma repaier verbaly said around $4k for cash settlement quote another NRMA repaier made $1800.any idea why?

Fighter asked on Sep 20, 2018

Answer this

Hi there, thanks for your question. Unfortunately we don't know the full details of the claim so we are unable to answer specific claims related questions. If you would like to escalate your concerns to the claims manager, please provide your claim number and we can help get some answers for you. ~Kaz

Nrm182752127
its firts part,second part also interesting but need some more information.coz lost the other phone where have recordings,with in week time hopefully get recover.$3400 etc was for damage was including everything was extremely reasonable.but only get offered $1800 etc.40 hrs on phone only with NRMA.

Better of laying on your back and pissing into the wind. They will win because they are a big company. Withhold documents then produce fake ones. Good luck.

Hi. Does comprehensive cover damage to interior caused by dog?

Anna asked on Aug 01, 2018

Answer this

Either way the repairs, if like my experience, will be sub standard, require 4 different mechanics take 12 months to complete, before again having issues a year after that. You may eventually get your car repaired (mine not yet) but the process would be enough to cut your loses (maybe thats what they do) and change insurance companies.
Ps I love dogs.

Hi Anna, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Pets are not covered as part of the car insurance policy unless the damage was caused in direct relation to another incident. It is always best to talk to the claims team about things like this as we can always investigate the situation and see if there is anything we could do for you. ~NRMA

Hi NRMA. You have replaced the starter motor on my Navara for the third time since it got flooded. How many starter motors am i entitled to have? Also if the cost of the continued repairs would have made it a write off at the time it got damaged, will NRMA back date my claim to the date it got flooded and write it off?

Ranga Tang asked on Aug 01, 2018

Answer this

My car is at an authorised repairer get working down again under the original claim but i have been declined a hire vehicle. Can you also explain the process for hire cars on subsequent repairs?

Is it fraud if the repairer you chose and authorised to fix my car used after market cheaper parts but has documented genuine parts used in the repairs? Because the cheaper parts are starting to fail.

See all 22 questions about NRMA Car Insurance