• 1 comment

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Best pool cleaner

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2017

This is a great pool cleaner its quite opetation is a great change from the previous creepy crawly type. Cleans very efficently and doesnt require additional power. It unlike previous cleaners didnt get stuck on on my step or miss areas.
Recommend this unit over all others on market without hesitation.

Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Excellent!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 25, 2017

Purchased this cleaner ($510 Ebay) after reading all reviews for all cleaners on this site. New pool owners, new to the maintenance required with no prior experience with cleaners (except when I was a kid pretending to be attacked by a marauding Kreepy Krawly) It does a great job. Follow the instructions, understand how it works - no problems. Quiet and efficient, clears the floor of our 9x4m pool in about 3 hours. Bamboo shards from next door can sometimes snag the impeller but easy to clear. We are most pleased!

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

I love this cleaner.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2017

I love this cleaner. It does its job no questions asked. My old barracuda always got stuck in the corners. No such issue with the Pentair Rebel. It is very important to follow the installation instructions when setting up the cleaner for the first time. Make sure you use the suction calibrator and also place the float in the correct position.
This cleaner has saved me a lot of work.

• 2 answers
  • 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Mar 2017

A little ripper

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2017

After owning two diaphragm type suction cleaners i decided to give this direct drive type a go. I have to say i like it a lot better. It gets full coverage in about a quarter of the time and in 5 months has only got something stuck in it once which i was able to remove with the unit still submersed so didn't even have to switch it off. I get a LOT of leaves both small (jacaranda) and medium sized and it handles them plus the jacaranda twigs. It only climbs about 6 inches up the walls of my vinyl pool but i suspect it could go higher if i adjusted the suction but i don't need it to. I have also found that this unit and hoses are weathering better than any others i have owned. Still looks brand new. If this one ever dies I will absolutely replace it with another the same.

Gold Coast

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Best value cleaner ever!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2017

We recently purchased a Pentair rebel from our local pool shop (platinum Pool Centre) and I've gotta say it is awesome. We get plenty of leaves and it has no problem keeping up. I have to say that the guys at platinum are so honest and helpful. They have heaps of cleaners to choose from and helped me pick the best one for my pool. This cleaner at $450 is value hard to beat!

Brisbane

• 4 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Works like a charm (and I have variable flow pump)

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2017

Bought this a couple of days ago after a bit of research, simple to put together, and cleans everything. I had a fair amount of dirt, leaves and few twigs/sticks laying at the bottom of the pool. Even when my pump is running on Eco mode, everything was sucked up - sticks and all. I returned home the next day and the pool was spotless. It's only a few days but I'm impressed.

As for wall cleaning, I have pebblecrete and on Eco mode (pump) it would not climb. I will check again on weekend and update if proven wrong, though I DID get it to climb walls very easily once I changed the pump to boost mode (higher flow). People should consider the amount of flow if you find it does not climb your pool wall. Climbing walls is not a real issue for me as I'm happy to brush them down once a month.

Otherwise, entire pool spotless after a 3 hour cycle with low flow. Next test - durability. Let's hope it works for years to come.

• 1 question
  • 3 answers

Date Purchased: Mar 2016

Does the job of cleaning the pool grate

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 07, 2017

Just put it in and it cleans every where only even half way up the wall my pool is concrete
I do not leave it in the pool only put it in when it gets dirty and it finds all the dirt even in the corners in about 4 runs of the filter

• 1 comment
  • 2 answers
  • 8 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Amazing! Best cleaning creepy crawly we have had!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 09, 2017

We have had pools for 17 years and always had trouble with creepy crawlers getting stuck. The pentair rebel is incredible as it never gets stuck. It cleans the pool so well. We have been away for 3 months and come back to a very clean pool . Our pool is 13 m long by 4.5 m wide fibreglass pool.
I would highly recommend to everyone buying a pool to buy this creepy crawly.
We have had the pool cleaner for 6 months and very very happy with this product.

Stays in one spot.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2017

Came with the pool and worked OK at he start. Cleaner has never climbed the walls of the fiberglass pool and rarely moves about. Have checked all settings to ensure as per manufacturer's instructions to no avail. On the rare occasion that it leaves the junction of the floor and wall it does vacuum well.

Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Brilliant little device. So glad I have it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2017

We bought our Pentair Rebel a couple of months ago after doing some careful research because we are fairly new to owning a pool. The Pentair Rebel keeps the pool immaculate, it never gets stuck, it doesn't make any noise and there is no vibration of the hose like with our previous device. In summary, it just goes and goes and goes and gives us no grief at all. Recently we went away for a week and came back to see it just working away beautifully as if we had never left. The Rebel costs a little more than some of the alternatives but It has been worth every sent and we thank the staff at Captain Nemos for both directing us to it and for their great price.

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Poor

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2017

This does not work well on vinyl pools. This will not crawl up the walls and often gets stuck in place. Also, you must use teflon tape on the compression adapter that goes in the skimmer box; otherwise you will spend an hour cutting it out in pieces. If you get it moving it will suck up leaves but it often gets stuck.

• 2 comments
  • 78 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Fantastic little beast

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 15, 2017

I look after my elderly mother's kidney shaped fibreglass pool so I need a cleaner I can drop in and forget as I'm not there every day. When she bought the house it came with a Zodiac Barracuda which did a pretty fair job but would often become stuck in the corners or on the stairs. After reading the reviews I thought I'd try the Rebel.

It is very easy to assemble but it's not just "drop in and go" first up. You do have a couple of things to adjust, as you would with any cleaner but once it's set up it's no work or fuss. To function properly you need the right length of hose, the float needs to be positioned correctly, the pool return jets might need adjusting and you need to measure the water flow through the hose (they supply a little measuring thing that you just put on the end of the hose and read, then you can adjust the flow with a supplied valve on a pipe that goes into the skimmer box). It has adaptors to fit pretty much any skimmer cover.

Once it's set up it's a fantastic little unit. I could see stripes across the pool floor where I hadn't even realised there was dirt! The Rebel also cleans right up
to the water line and scrubs the walls as well as the floor. If you pump loses suction (eg if it needs backwashing) it will struggle to hold on to the sides. Pool is pretty much the cleanest it has ever been, I certainly never achieved this with hand vacuuming (which takes forever and is such a pain in the head).

The rebel seems to cope with quite large debris and it's so easy to take the cover off and clear out if anything gets stuck. Its rollers can travel over obstacles if necessary. It's light, easy to pull in and out of the pool and is whisper quiet - no thumping like the diaphragm models to vibrate your house or annoy the neighbours!

To me the Rebel has the feel of a robotic cleaner, but you can leave it in the pool full time and you don't need to mess with power cords etc. Robotic cleaners obviously have many advantages, but if you're determined to get a suction cleaner I reckon you can't go past this little beauty.

Engadine

• 1 answer

Absolutely brilliant

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2017

Unleashed the machine on my white pebble dash pool and even though there were no leaves in sight, it left white stripes everywhere it went sucking up dirt I didn't know was there. Climbs the walls well and any leaves or debris that have been blown in so far haven't stood a chance. And no noise whatsoever. Way better than the old ? Kreepy Krawly that was there when I moved in which finally died before Xmas.
After one month, perfect.
Finally, cleaner was sold to me with a three year warranty which the shop honours, not the manufacturer. They also had written testimonies pinned to the wall from other happy customers, I'll be adding mine.

Date Purchased: Sep 2015

Works fine to start but look out

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 13, 2017

This product was efficient and worked well for the first year. Then the machine would for no apparent reason stop and remain stopped until manually moved. The cleaner has been examined by an independent tech, and the dealer on two occasions and no defect could be found. The cleaner was tested in another pool with similar results so I am satisfied that the cleaner is at fault. To date the dealer has not offered to replace the cleaner and on two occasions said he will check with the Representative. He presently has the cleaner. There is a two year warranty... so what?

Sydney

Excellent and no noise

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2016

Our 55 000l concrete pool gets really dirty as it is under half a dozen bottle brushes and a large lemon scented gum (that sheds heaps of rubbish into the pool). Got fed up with a Zodiac barracuda that kept getting clogged with leaves/gum nuts, and getting stuck on the steps. This is perfect for gum nuts and since getting this I have not needed to vacuum the pool once. Granted I still have to fish out the large chunks of gum bark that fall in the pool but no cleaner would pick them up (they can be 15cm x 15cm or bigger). It has stopped a couple of times when bits of bark were stuck in the gears but it was really easy to get them out (the top just pops off and gives you full access). Even when it has been windy and the bottom of the pool is covered in leaves/flowers/nuts from the trees, after a four hour cycle the pool is spotless. It makes no noise and you don't have to put up with the really irritating thump thump thump of a diaphragm type cleaner-just wish the neighbour would get one so we can get some sleep and not have to deal with the thump sound of their cleaner going all night. Shop around (google) as prices vary widely and even though most places say 'store only', I bought it from a shop in QLD and paid $475 delivered to Sydney with a 3 year warranty (genuine Australian stock).

Canberra, ACT

• 1 answer

Date Purchased: Jan 2016

Terrible on tiled pools

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2016

Saw all the good reviews but, despite strong assurance from the pool shop the Rebel will not work in a fully tiled pool. The shop assured me it would work but it just sits at the deep end rotating on its axis and won't move anywhere else. I've tried every adjustment but it can't get traction on tiles. Emailed Pentair to see if they had special wheels for tiles but no reply. It probably works great on other surfaces but not on tiles. A big waste of money for me.

• 4 comments
  • 4 answers
  • 26 helpful votes

Perfect so far

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2016

3 weeks in and its running perfect, no issue, very clean pool .. better than the barracuda and zero noise..
seems to cover the pool faster and hits every edge and wall ... loving it.. Id also say less stress on the suction system also or pool pump.. its not like a barracuda or Kreepy so you dont get the THUMP THUMP THUMP of the line stop starting on the pump suction .. its just straight pull trough .. much better ....

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Still going perfect ... I have a pebble pool not tiles ...

Almost 3 months not an issue. Just checked the flow / suction again with the tool to keep it running perfect. Runs like a dream

Still perfect...

• 2 comments
  • 10 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Excellent pool cleaner.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 10, 2016

Bought the rebel pool cleaner and had it running for 2 months. Works very efficiently. Its a purely mechanical cleaner with large gearing inside thats easy to open up and clear out if anything gets jammed in there (which happens occasionally). Unlike some other reviews my experience is that it doesn't quite get up onto the steps in my pool but that doesn't bother me. I simply sweep the step debris off for it to collect on the bottom. So far so good.

• 3 helpful votes

The best

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2016

This has transformed my life , its performance in my opinion is unmatched no more having to fiddle with weights or moving when stuck .The rebel glides around with ease on my fibre glass pool plus up the walls.this is the first time I have ever reviewed anything but it is that good .

Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Best money ever spent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2016

Was so frustrated with my old cleaner getting clogged in corners. The rebel is perfect, bought one week ago. It goes in every corner of the pool climbs the walls, it hasn't missed a beat and it does the work so sillant. My pool looks cleaner than ever before. Highly recommended,

Purchased at: Pool and Spa Warehouse

1 of 2 pages

I bought Rebel pool cleaner (to replace barracuder rubbish) after pool shop recommended it would climb walls but it did not when the recommended flow was adjusted. I have 9m x 4.5m pebble pool and want to know how to get it to climb walls to water line?

Scott asked on Oct 23, 2017

Answer this

Mine only climbs about 15cm up the walls of a vinyl lined pool but that's all I need. I have not tried to adjust it to climb any further. It may struggle on a pebble lined pool to get sufficient suction to climb. It does a fast and thorough job on the floors which is what I love about it.

Increase the water flow rate if you can. I have an eco pump and doesn't climb on eco settings. Once a month I set the pump to boost and it flies around the pool but also climbs the walls. I have a pebblecrete pool. Be wary with increased flow the rebel will exceed the water line and makes a loud gushing sound before turning or falling.

its definitely better with increased flow but above recommended so hope it is ok long term

looking to add a leaf catcher to the hose and the one I bought has to be returned as the connectionss dont match. Seller wasnt able to send me anything to help. Help?

ezriel asked on Aug 29, 2017

Answer this

We don't have a leaf catcher.
Sorry I couldn't help you.

Hi - I have a Zodiac inline leaf catcher. I have simply cut a 1m length section of Zodiac hose in half, attaching the intact Zodiac end to the leaf catcher and the cut half fits over the end of the Pentair hose snugly. Hope this makes sense...

I have a Pentair rebel but it's constantly stopping or seems to just spin round after a few mins, I've tried adjusting the amount of suction by pump speed and where it attaches to skimmer box but all I can get is about 5mins working then it stops. Am I missing something?

Confusedpentair asked on Mar 11, 2017

Answer this

The symptoms are very similar to the ones we had. We finally got the dealer to change out all the moving parts which cured the problem. The dealer was very hesitant to do anything as the cleaner appeared fine on inspection. Just insist the dealer do as above or exchange the cleaner. It does not get better on its own!

Never seen this with mine. Is the weight the recommended 20" from the cleaner, I have noticed that varying this affects the cleaner's ability to climb the walls of the pool.
If you open up the flap on the cleaner a mass of gears and cogs is revealed - maybe there's something caught in there?
Perhaps put a facemask/snorkel on and watch what's happening inside from the shallow end of your pool.
Hope this helps