Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Its ok

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 25, 2018

Had this cleaner for 2yrs now, it does a great job in my fiberglass pool. .... BUT..... Be prepared to buy replacement gears. Ive just had to order my second drive shaft. Seems to be a huge week point on the vacuum. Next time i will change to a somthing a little more robust.

Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Don't buy

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2018

Great pool cleaner to begin with untill you have to buy spare parts lasted only 12 months before cogs and tyres are worn out and need replacing....
Cost to replace these is ridiculous never will i buy another cheaper and easier to buy a cheaper pool cleaner every year if it lasts 12 months and a whole lot less hassle.

Date Purchased: Apr 2016

initially worked well

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2018

the cleaner worked well for the first year but it keep getting stuck by the stairs. The constant rotation of the tire as it was trying to climb the stairs wore out the treads. I replaced the treads ($50) and now the cleaner only circles the drain. i have tried several adjustments and i cannot get it to clean anywhere but around the drain.

• 1 comment
  • 2 answers
  • 15 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Works well till the moving parts stop failing

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2018

One of the aspects I have thrived in whilst working on projects is looking at current formats and procedures and enhance or improving or replacing these systems with easier or more effective methods by developing new systems and procedures. There are a lot of good reviews here but I would be interested to speak to these people after 2 years.

Date Purchased: May 2016

disappointed with Pentair Rebel

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2018

I've had my Pentair rebel cleaner for a little over 2 years. Worked fined but the problem started when the parts started to wear. Will be retiring cleaner due to the outrageous cost of parts and would not recommend buying this cleaner. Again the rebel did a good job of cleaning pool but the cost of parts make it to costly to replace parts.

Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Works really well

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2018

Bought this product about 2 months ago to replace a Baracuda style cleaner. Pool is a regular rectangular shape, in ground concrete pool. Really easy to fit and set up and with a few minor adjustments on the suction valve to allow it to climb the walls sufficiently, it was cleaning the whole pool. Would recommend it.

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Can't do stairs.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2018

I've had this cleaner for just over 18 months and it's great on the pool floor and to about half way up the walls. I've got 3 entry steps and a step on the other side for sitting or standing on. I bought the rebel on recommendation from our pool shop. We had a robotic cleaner but it did after a couple of years. The rebel was cheaper than a robotic cleaner so I decided to give it a go. After a couple of weeks it was noticeable that the stairs were dirty. I had to manually clean them and have had to since. I've changed the settings and moved the float etc but the stairs remain dirty. Wouldn't recommend this if you have stairs.

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Best pool cleaner for our pebblecrete pool.

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 13, 2018

We have had our Rebel pool cleaner for just over 6 months and it has worked beyond our expectations. We have a lot of gum trees close to our pool on our neighbours side and this little guy just smashes the leaves like there is no tomorrow. When we brought our house it came with the normal zodiac type pool cleaner that we had to fix/coax to work every day. This little guy is set and forget and frankly worth every cent. The only to we need to do is manually get branches out of it but we would have to do that with any pool cleaner so to us it is a non issue. We can not recommend this enough and are going to buy another one in case they stop making them! Please don’t stop making them!!

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Best available

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 02, 2018

I have had 2 Zodiac G2 suction cleaners over the past five and a half years my pool is in ground 7 X 3 m,usual replacement of parts required and noisey, often needing to adjust and move when stuck near steps etc.The S5 is a breath of fresh air in comparison , amazing ability to clean the pool both larger debris and dirt, you don't even know it's on it is so quiet. Can only highly recommend.

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Love this pool cleaner.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 08, 2018

So much better than a our barracuda. Quiet, hardly notice it's on, even when you're in the pool. It picks up large leaves without any issues. Never gets stuck. Pool looks great. Had it for two years now without any problems. Thoroughly recommend it to anyone needing to replace their pool cleaner.

Purchased at: Best Pool Supplies

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Worked really well for the first season

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 19, 2018

The Rebel worked well for the first season, but now it just keeps stopping for no apparent reason. There is no leaf or twig debris caught inside however I can see that there is obvious wear in the cogs at each end of one of the gear spindles. Perhaps that is the problem?

Brisbane

• 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Good to start, problems begin after 6 months, pls comment

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 08, 2018

Bought for brand new pebble-crete pool 10 x 3 m, variable speed pump, Dec 2016, running 6 to 8 hours per day, Brisbane. Reasonable leaf and gumnut load from nearby gum tree. Had good experience of competing product The Pool Cleaner on a previous pool. Bought from local pool shop as was told that Rebel was same technology and it was quite a bit cheaper. Important to set up correctly with flow adjustment. Worked very well for about 6 months, sucking up and cleaning everything except twigs and bark. Then it started to stop, even when there was no leaf load and with clear filter baskets, got worse over 3 months. Pool shop and Pentair gave good service and rapid response. Both came over took it apart, playing with all the setting etc. Couldn't see any obvious issues with the cleaner. Told me "never had this problem". It would work for a while then just stop. Pentair gave me a replacement after 9 months. Now on my second one, after 6 months, its just starting to happen again. My hypothesis is that the after a while, maybe contributed to by decent leaf load, the cleaner internals start to wear out and loosen slightly and the action of the cogs causes some kind of "torque" to build up which jams the cleaner? Really interested in anyone else's similar experiences (there are already a couple on this comment string) before I go back to the Pentair rep. many thanks.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Does not work in a fully tiled pool

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 29, 2018

The Rebel slips on my fully tiled pool floor. It can't even get from the deep to the shallow end and there's no way it will climb the walls.
The dealer said it would work but I see here and at other sites that fully tiled pools are a problem.
And yes - I've tried adjusting the suction to the maximum recommended as well as the minimum and everywhere in-between.

perth

• 1 comment
  • 1 question

Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Disappointed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 23, 2018

I can't get this cleaner to work properly despite following the manual to the letter. It's "ok" but my old Kreepy Krawley did a much better job. I manually vacuum the pool at least once per week now - never had to do that with the old cleaner. Wouldn't buy again.

Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Poorly designed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2018

Please don’t buy this poorly designed product
After spending the money I have been for a year and half constantly frustrated with its performance
Surely the designers must have stood beside a pool and watched it spend 85%of its time sitting on the edge of the bottom of the pool doing nothing

• 2 comments

Very Impressive Cleaner

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2018

Folks, after swearing I’d never move away from a Barracuda product, I’m absolutely wrapped with this new purchase. This small unit packs a punch like nothing else and cleaned my 10m x 4m pool in literally 2 hours. When I say clean, I mean not just the heavy leaf debris but also the stains, gradually wearing them down and I’ve only had it 3 days. Whilst it won’t get up my steps or pool seat (nothing ever has due to 90 degree edges) it is relentless in its coverage of the pool and it’s by far the best $500 I’ve ever spent. Only took me 10 mins to setup as well and have only had to adjust flow pressure setting once to get it right. Don’t waste your money on any other cleaner and also comes with a 3 year warranty.

Purchased at: Pool and Spa Warehouse

Comments

Just an update 6 months in to say still highly impressed with the unit with very little intervention needed apart from large sticks getting stuck in its throat which no cleaner on the market can ha... read more »

A further update after reading some recent comments (and no I’m not a Pentair rep just a pool owner like all you guys looking for a decent pool cleaner that saves me time, money and frustration liv... read more »

Rockhampton

• 1 answer
  • 5 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Oct 2017

It’s really amazing!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2018

We have a lot of debris in our pool due to 2 big gum trees nearby. I purchased the pentair rebel based on the reviews on this site as I needed a cleaner which can cope with very large amounts of debris. I have had the cleaner since October and the results are spectacular and I never would have imagined a cleaner could be so effective. If you have a pool that collects a lot of leaves I think you would struggle to find something better than this. On the very rare occasion when it gets stuck due to the large amount of leaves it has a valve where it attaches to the skimmer box to allow water to flow through the pump- Simply brilliant! It’s amazing. Highly recommended

Purchased at: Best Pool Supplies

Finally !

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2018

I've had a heap of issues with previous cleaners and 6 months ago I decided it would be best if I manually vacuumed the pool once a week instead of mess around with auto cleaners again, got fed up with that. After reading reviews and watching a few youtube videos for the Rebel I decided to get one, Arrived three weeks ago, best cleaner I have ever owned ( at this stage). Has not been stuck once, no tangled hose and quite. Best $450 I have spent on the pool, pool is very clean.

Sydney

• 4 comments

Set and Forget

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2018

First pool cleaner for me that's ever earned that title. Purchased and installed 4 weeks ago and hasn't needed touching since. Yep, hasn't stuck in corners, stairs or twisted the hose. Sweeping the pool floor perfectly and half way up walls, picking up all leaves and dust.

Only factor for consideration is that my variable speed pump (Viron P280) didn't provide enough suction on the low setting to give the Pentair Rebel the muscle to do it's job effectively. Now on medium setting so there may be an energy price to pay.

Box Hill North

• 1 answer

Excellent cleaner

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 07, 2018

I bought this cleaner for summer as my kreepy was falling apart. It was so easy to imstall and was working within about 20 minutes. Pay particular attention to the pressure gauge supplied as it determines its crawling speed and how good it sucks to the side. Its only been working about a week but its really set and forget so far. Quartzon pool 4x7m was spotless in about 1.5 hours. Picks up gum leaves, possum poo and twigs too. Never gets stuck on the steps like the Kreepy. Highly recommended!

1 of 3 pages

Are they any good for fibreglass pools?

Jimmy asked on Jan 10, 2018

Answer this

Hi Jimmy.
My pool is Quartzon and it works great. From my research, yes it works on fibreglass and other surfaces, but not tiles. I hope thid helps.
Regards Scott

Cheers thanks

Would this unit work well in a large pool -120KL? Would need to buy more hose length to cover, worried about tangles and hose replacement costs as I had with baracuda.

Milly asked on Dec 20, 2017

Answer this

I suggest you ring/speak to a supplier, I found both internet suppliers I spoke with were very helpful and didn't oversell. You would definitely need more hose length. I suspect you may need a bigger cleaner as the cleaning roller is only around 300mm wide. I was able to connect my barracuda hose to the pentair hose using an adaptor from my pool shop. The hose does occasionally tangle, but usually untangles itself after a while - only had to untangle by hand twice in six weeks use.

Thanks Andrew. I have spoken to my pool shop who was helpful but they do only want flog you what they supply!! So always check blogs like this for extra info. :)

I have had this product for about 12months. The unit has started to stop when it reaches the side of the pool at a 45deg angle. Found the reason is the reversing wheel and the drive gears ares showing signs of wear on the teeth of the gears. I have temporarily resolved the issue by swapping the wheels. Question, as this comes with a 3yr warranty will this be covered by warranty?

Freethinker58 asked on Dec 20, 2017