Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Great little machine

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 08, 2018

The coffee this machine makes is almost as good as something you'd get at a cafe. It is consistently good and I love the ability to be able to specify one shot or two. Learning to froth the milk (I have been frothing milk on home coffee machines for years) on this machine without it squealing or failing to froth took me a couple of goes but overall, it is easy to use and makes a great, hot coffee.

Comments
Sunbeam Official

HI AMANDA 154, great to hear and thanks for the review!

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Very good little machine for coffee lovers

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 04, 2018

Have got this coffee machine for more than 3 months now. So far so good experience with this purchase from Sunbeam. The quality of coffee is great and consistent; milk texturing performs well and obviously as a home machine, the speed cannot compare with the one at coffee shop, but it does the job very well!!!!

As this is a budget machine, we have to compromise our convenience for not being able to extract coffee and milk frothing at the same time. But if u only need to make 1 or 2 cups of a time. Then it wouldn’t be a problem after considering how much u have saved from buying coffee outside :)).

I purchased the machine at first for learning how to make espresso. This is my best investment ever as I save from enrolling expensive training courses and enjoy the flexibility of practicing whenever I like!!!

If u after one, this is sometimes on special and u can get a real good deal

Purchased at: Myer

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Thanks for the great review JP!!

• 7 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Nov 2018

As good as 90% of cafes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 29, 2018

This machine is an absolute gem. I went Sunbeam again as our Sunbeam Cafe Crema went for around 15 years before failing ( did replace a couple of group head seals ). There is no doubt the larger group head gives a better flavour extraction from the coffee....and I love the timed pours, I use the 2 cup pour for a single cup as most people who have reviewed do. I use Aldi Organic Free Trade ground coffee ( for 10 years now ) best value coffee on the planet, please try it....and the flavour and pour is excellent when dosed and tamped correctly. I don't bother with steaming milk for cappos, just flat whites. Yes, the group head is very tight to attach...but understand why it is this way. If I get 10 plus years out of this one I'll be a happy camper.

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Thanks for the great review Undies! Glad to see your enjoying your coffee!!

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Good machine untill it died

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2018

Bought this coffee machine 14 months ago and have used it everyday with filtered water and regular cleaning with no problems and was really happy with it until today when it has completely died.
2 months out of warranty not happy as it wasn't cheap and expected it to last a lot longer.
Rang the warranty hotline and they were fantastic as it sounded like a electrical fault with the switch they replaced it with a new machine.
Very happy with outcome and now enjoying a coffee at home.

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Sorry to hear of the issue you experienced with the first machine Kas, but I'm sure your new machine will provide you with quality coffee for many years to come.

Good start but ...

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2018

Coffee machine is looking very good. All the time coffee does have cream on top but this does not mean that the taste is good. Sometimes it comes out a little bit burnt but it may be the quantity and quality of the coffee. Cappuccino steam function is working well. Overall good experience.

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Thanks for the great review Manuela. If the coffee has a burnt or bitter taste, your grind may be a bit too fine which is resulting in over extraction.

Thanks I will try with a different one

Date Purchased: Nov 2018

Cafe quality coffee at home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2018

I had been wanting to retire my pod machine for a while now due to the environmental concerns but had been holding off for a number of reasons including price, convenience and limited space in my kitchen - that is until the Mini Barista came along. It is an inexpensive and compact machine that is super easy to use and produces an excellent shot of coffee with a great taste and lovely aroma. The steam wand also does a good job of frothing milk considering the machine's price point. So far overall I am very happy with my Mini Barista and would definitely recommend it to anyone who has the same requirements and expectations as me.

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Hi Christian, thank you. Great feedback and you describe the machine perfectly!

Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Inspired to write a review

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2018

I actually bought this machine last Christmas and didn’t think to write this review until now. This machine is so awesome I cannot believe the price. Simple to use and makes great coffee once you master it. It was so good my mother recently told me she wanted one so I went to Harvey Norman to get her one. Whilst I was there I saw a new machine called the Barista Max. The sales person told me it was the new version of my machine so I bought it and love it even more. Check out my review I just wrote about that machine (Barista Max). Highly recommend either this Mini Barista AND The Barista Max. Depending on your budget you won’t be disappointed.

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Thanks for the great review Ted!

• 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Fool Proof!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 15, 2018

You can't go wrong with this great appliance! Super easy to use - it's virtually fool proof! Has taken a few goes to master the milk with the steamer, but other than that it produces great quality coffee! Has saved me a lot so far in take away coffees in the mornings!

Purchased at: Sunbeam Australia

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Thanks for the great review Natalie!

Date Purchased: Jul 2018

What a pleasure

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2018

Hi all
We've always had pod machines and a percolator. Decided we wanted to make our own barista style coffee, so purchased an EM 4300
As always with something new it took a while to get the correct amount, tamp pressure etc. My partner and I now enjoy amazing coffee, whenever we want, without having to bother about getting the car out every time. Easy to clean, fill with water, and looks great on the counter. The water temp is spot on for us, and once you get the angle right the frother works great.
Really happy overall

Purchased at: JB Hi-Fi

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Hi Zimbo, couldn't have said it better, thanks for the great review!!!!

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

It was great while it lasted

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 10, 2018

This was a great coffee machine while it worked, but two weeks after the warranty expired, the machine turned on by itself and just kept pumping water through. What a shame, we can no longer use it. I hesitate buying the same one if it only has a one year lifespan.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Hi Angela, sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced. Please call our customer care team on 1300 881 861 and they will be more than happy to assist.

• 1 review
  • 1 comment

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

A great intoduction.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 10, 2018

As a complete novice this machine was a gentle trouble free introduction to making espresso at home. Once I got the grind right it was easy and the temperature is just right for us, hot but not scalding. Good clear diagrams and instructions helped enormously, thank you very much for that.

Purchased at: The Good Guys

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Hi Uswe2, great to hear you are enjoying making your coffee with our machine! Thanks for the great review!!!!

It would be great if you could readily buy extra group handles and filler baskets, needed in our family because some need decaf.

Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Great budget machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 03, 2018

I picked up one of these for the work shed and it produces good coffee, quick. It’s taken a few dozen cups to work out what the machine likes in terms of grind, dose and tamp strength and it’s getting better and better although I’m preferring double shots to get the strength I like. It’s built well (I have the model with the stainless group head), holds enough water to last 3-4 days, froths milk well and cleans up easy. The included instructions are excellent and provide tons of good coffee making information. The only negatives are the plastic tamper that’s not heavy enough and the grinds stick to it so I’ve replaced with a heavier commercial one that you can pick up easy online, and be careful not to fill the filter baskets to the top as it says to do, I struggled to lock the head into place if it’s too high. Overall though,l and especially for the money this has been worth it.

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Thanks or the great review Cheeky Fox!

nTH of the bridgE, nsw

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Just bought; positive early results

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2018

Just bought this as our older Breville Cafe Roma started spurting water out from around the Porta Filler. Tried different grind settings on our Breville Smart Grinder Pro, but couldn't get it to flow water through properly so back to JBhifi.
It had been almost perfect for 2yrs but wanted a machine with the larger 58mm Hopper for a slightly stronger brew.
Extended Care Warranty (absolute must have for $30+ for 3yrs total/Breville) returned it's original cost then a decision whether to get another Breville, perhaps the Duo-Temp Pro BES810BSS @ twice the price or go with the Sunbeam Mini Barista EM4300.
Decided on the Sunbeam based on positive reviews overall.

Initially using the old settings on the Breville Smart Grinder Pro of 16 on the Expresso Grind and 11 secs, with a new batch of freshly ground beans, (plug for CentralCoastCoffee, thanks Rick) this setting was too fine for that coffee bean. Increasing grind to courser 23 and slightly more time 12secs to larger hopper, saw a good flow and crema with new roasted beans.
Nice smooth result from the Milk wand which is far superior to the old Breville..more solid and moveable.
Good extraction for a machine in this price point. Auto extract time seems to be about right.
Might post again when machine gets some kilometers under it's belly, but so far, pretty good.

Another positive, Sunbeam comes with 2yr Warranty (+ the extra 2yr Extended Care if purchased). If we get 4yrs use out of machine like this, it will definately have been a reasonable purchase.
My only negative observation would be what appears to be 'Non BPA' Plastic used on the Water Container, which after several years 'will' start to deteriorate.
Let's see how long-term use stacks up.

Purchased at: JB Hi-Fi

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Thanks for the great review Philip! The water tank is actually BPA free!

Hello Sunbeam, thanks for the response. In the interest of information outside the MSM (main stream media) you might consider this one article; there are dozens more critical articles on the Web. ... read more »

Newcastle

• 4 comments
  • 7 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Great machine, but I’m worried about longevity

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2018

I’ve had a number of coffee machines like this since the ‘thermoblock’ type machines came on the market in the early 2000’s. My first was a sunbeam (who I think had the first one on the market) and I’ve had a couple of brevilles. They all seem to last about 3-5 years and then the switches go or the steam ability fails. I got a ‘mini barista’ as a replacement for an older model that had lasted 2 years and was covered under extended warranty - tip: if you’re offered an extended warranty on a coffee machine then take it!
Anyway, it’s the most advanced machine I’ve had and pours great coffee. The larger group head and better locking mechanism definitely make a difference. Be aware that you have to play around with coffee grind, how much you use and how hard you tamp it with any machine and sometimes you’ll overload it and the results will be hot and messy. The fixed shot amounts seem perfect (unlike other machines) and you can reprogram them anyway. The machine seems to have a few automated functions such as flushing that go on in the background, which none of my other machines had. So if it goes on like this I’ll be very happy... but, I’ve already had to replace it under warranty after a few weeks because the original machine stayed hot when switched off and after a few uses the pump became stuck on. I’m worried that all those automatic functions will see this machine wear out quickly. Still, I rate it very highly based on the way works when it’s working properly.

Purchased at: Domayne

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Hi Steve, so pleased you are happy with the machine. Hope you do get a great life out of it but at any time please give us a call if you need assistance on 1300 881 861

No More Coffee Shops

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2018

I love this machine. Bought it at Christmas 2017 and it's still going strong.

My only problem is dual poor, where one side gets almost triple the amount of coffee poured. At first thought it was my fault, now not so sure. Levelled the machine, check grinds are level, all seems fine but still not getting a consistent pour.

Other than that, perfect for single cups. Easy to use and easy to maintain.

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Hi Teagan C, a tip that may assist you - when putting the coffee basket in try and see if you can line the hole up in the middle of the handle rather than to one side as having on the side may favo... read more »

Date Purchased: Apr 2018

Great machine for the first four months. Ready for replacement.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2018

We purchased our Mini Barista at the end of April 2018. By June the handle on the milk jug fell off whilst frothing the milk.

In August the auto pour for the coffee shot has stopped.

We loved this machine and whilst concerned about the jug handle falling off whilst full of hot milk. We just replaced it.

But with the auto shot of coffee not working, the coffee doesn’t taste the same, it’s watery and it doesn’t get as hot.

Unfortunately we didn’t keep the receipt because we had faith in Sunbeam. And expected at least a year before we would have to replace it.

But four months? At $250 it becomes quite an expensive disposable unit.

Purchased at: Betta Home Living

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Hi AMC. It seems that somebody may have inadvertently changed the shot volume programming on your machine. If you follow the instructions on P17 of the instruction booklet you can restore the shot ... read more »

Date Purchased: Nov 2017

Did I get lucky?

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2018

I see a lot of other reviews saying they have issues but my Mini Barista runs perfectly. I really like it and it makes delicious coffee. I use it daily and have since we got it and it runs like a clock. It took a few weeks to get the exact hang of the correct amount and pressure to pat down the coffee but after that - plain sailing. YOu can get great results with this machine!

Purchased at: Betta Home Living

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Hi Pompey1! Thanks for the great review!

• 6 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Good for an in house coffee

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2018

I have this machine for more than a year and love it... easy to texture the milk... although after a few months the cup filter does not filter well in the port filter so it’s difficult to clean after the use! Still a good machine for the price you will save a lot of money for doing your own coffee instead of buying it...

Purchased at: Myer

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Hi Marcela, great to hear you are enjoying the coffee!!!

Seaforth

• 2 comments
  • 2 answers

Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Third Time Lucky

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 25, 2018

This is my last chance with this machine. Third time lucky I hope ! Both previous machines started not to pour and when I stopped the machine and took the group handle off, It built up so much pressure that it exploded hot grounds all over the place. This is a safety concern especially getting burnt. A previous reviewer has said the same thing

Comments

I have since taken the third Sunbeam Mini Barista back ( still unopened as I didn't want to take any more chances ) to Harvey Norman and paid a bit more with the difference $$$ and bought the New S... read more »

Sunbeam Official

Hi A K, so sorry to hear of your troubles with our EM4300 but great to hear you have purchased our new to the market coffee machine. We are confident that you will be enjoying great coffee for years to come!!!

Brisbane

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Disappointed. Different issues with 2 machines...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 17, 2018

Bought this machine 3/18. Had to return it as it leaked from the back valve, straight down the cord to the plug - thank goodness for circuit breakers. Returned it to the place of purchase where they exchanged it for a new unit. Second unit worked ok for while, but now gets stuck on the steam function when I'm trying to extract. Have to repeatedly turn dial to O and back until it decides to extract not create steam. It has even built up so much pressure in the group head during this malfunction that it exploded grounds all over the place when tried to remove group head.

Purchased at: The Good Guys

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Sunbeam Official

Hi Nizz, sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced. Please contact our customer care team on 1300 881 861 and we would be more than happy to assist.

1 of 8 pages