• 10 comments
  • 14 answers
  • 22 helpful votes

Verified Customer

"A China Experience", Excellent, well worth the money, National Tour Guide exceptional

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 20, 2018

I took my granddaughter on Wendy Wu Tour, "A China Experience" 10 day tour of China, Shanghai, Xian & Beijing. Tour is value for money, well organized, jam packed with highlights. People employed can make or break an organization & the National Tour Guide, ALICE was exceptional at doing her job, a truly good representative for Wendy Wu Tours, as were the City Tour Guides. "2nd best" Bus drivers in each city, Shanghai, Xian & Beijing were experienced, very helpful & deserve gold medal for driving with the most congested traffic, although they do drive on the wrong side of road. Meals were excellent & different in each city. Hotels were of reasonable Brand International Hotel Organizations although maintenance was lacking & Chinese Government Policy means Air Conditioning turned off from September (going into their Autumn), making rooms very stuffy & warm for sleeping, getting a fan from front desk is mandatory. China is a MUST VISIT country, progress has been exceptional having gone from millions of push bikes to millions of cars & from a Peasant Communist Culture to Urban Capitalist (yes definitely Capitalist) Culture in 40 years. Chinese people in tourist industry speak some English, if not very good English, have a great sense of humor, are positive about every situation, "glass half full not half empty" attitude & are very patient when driving in 'bumper to bumper' traffic & very few accidents as a result. Pollution is not as bad as we were lead to believe & China is working to improve the air quality produced from 6 million late model cars but do enjoy major multi-lane freeways within their cities (NO toll roads). Terracotta Warriors, Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City & Great Wall are MUST SEE attractions.

Filled all my expectations

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2018

China Splendour Tour. I went with great expectations and these were all met. From the time I arrived Miao was very helpful and caring. After the first day in Shanghai I knew I was not up to some of the walking but Miao came up with a solution and I was able to carry on. When I was getting a little behind from the Group Miao would stay with me and encourage me on so that I did get to see the Panda's. Yes the days were full but that was what I expected and yes we had to spend days travelling but this has to be done to cover the distance between attractions. I have always wanted to see the Terracotta Warriors and I was not disappointed. The evening live shows were all great but I enjoyed the one in Wulong the best. Great outdoor show. Thank you Wendy Wu for the care you gave me.

WENDY WU COULD HAVE DONE BETTER

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2018

We booked Majestic Yangstee tour. As we were extremely pleased with Wendy Wu's Golden Triangle tour last year we decided that this was the company to stick to when doing China. It started out well and we could not fault our National Guide, [name removed] and the cruise was fantastic however, it all came unravelled at Changdu at the Panda reserve and at the Xian with the Warriors. Why? We landed in China during their National Holday! We were not advised of this at time of booking and were told it was a great time to go. All of China was on holidays and at least 100,000 were at the above venues. Our local guide definitely put us in "harms way" at the Panda site. It was totally impossible to see the animals but more importantly we could have been crushed to death - no exaggeration here. we were herded into an underground tunnel with only one way out. I was so angry that we were put in such an impossible position I felt like cancelling the rest of the trip and coming home;.The whole of our group shared my sentiments. How dare Wendy Wu treat us this way. I repeat it was not the fault of our National Guide, but the Wendy Wu programe and not informing us at time of booking of what to expect. Its not as though this was unexpected since the Chinese celebrate this event every year, so WW know full well of what would have been install for tourists. The Terracotta warriors was a little better but not much, but only because our group insisted on getting up a few hours earlier to beat the crowd. I fully expected China to be crowded after all there total population is 1.3 billion and I also expected long queues,but to treated like cattle with little apology was unacceptable. The crowds tended to lessen towards Beijing as the Chinese began to wind down after their week long holiday but the memory of the crushing and may I say, life threatening crowds previously left little doubt that I will not return. About the rest of the tour - food was generally good and [name removed] our National Guide went out of his way to make sure I had a gluten free meal everywhere we went - thanks [name removed] once again. It was shame we did not get a chance to freshen up at the end of each day and put on fresh clothing to go to dinner as the programme was so tight that we went straight from out tours to the restaurants, very tired and a little grubby. The optional tours and indeed the included entertainment of a night was very good, this did not disappoint. I am sorry to have to write this review in such a negative way,, and I usually like to be positive in my reviews. I have traveled extensively over the last 20 years and have never felt more frightened than I did at Changdu and Xian.

wonderful experiance

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2018

just did a 20 day china holiday bruce song was our tour leader; he was an excellant leader and good organisation skills; the insight of china , its cultural , its historical; was well covered ; the hotels were of a good standard ; the buses were modern ; the bus drivers were highly skilled ; the question why go to china we have been asked often and why not ; the most wonderful holiday was experianced and wendy will be reconmended by us; the only downer was with cathay pacific and there booking system which is ridiculas; cant gaurentee seats together on long haul flights yet the planes and staff were wonderful

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Donald, We really appreciate you posting your lovely feedback and are very pleased you had such an unforgettable trip. China is full of so many things to see and experience. It's great to ... read more »

hopefully we shall meet bruce song on another trip ; china is such an eye opener for any traveller; and excellant value for money experiance donald

Tibetan wonders 2018

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 13, 2018

great journey !
mixed nationality tour group--Australian,UK,NZ,
11 travelers in all;plenty of space on the bus!
great meals on every occasion
fantastic national guide(Tony Li)-nothing was too much trouble,a great sense of humour! ,and all local guides friendly and informative,and willing to help in any way
a special thankyou to out Tibetan guide Lhadar,always brilliant and a special person;
recommended for all adventurers.
Kim & Maria.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Kim and Maria, Thank you for sharing your feedback on our Tibetan Wonders Tour. We are thrilled this was such an enjoyable experience for you both! This is certainly an itinerary for adven... read more »

China Betty's family, September

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2018

We did the Grand tour of China with Betty as our guide. The group of people were fantastic and fun to be with. Betty must be the best tour guide in China, nothing was too much trouble and always willing to help. This tour certainly opened my eyes on how progressive and still beautiful China is. My wife and I had a wonderful time and would recommend this tour.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Peter and Heather, We would like to thank you for taking a minute to share this lovely feedback. It is wonderful to read that you had a fantastic time on our Grand Tour of China. It certai... read more »

• 1 comment

Wendy Wu - Very highly recommended

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2018

We have recently gone on a Wendy Wu China tour and cannot recommend this tour company highly enough....Kai Ning, our tour guide was exceptional....giving us all 24/7 of his time. Everything was well organised for us and we travelled on planes, trains and buses and so well coordinated .Even gave us directions on which terminal and gate number etc for our flights back home !! Local guides were also very professional and knowledgeable. Our 2 weeks were jam packed and full on but filled with history and culture and treasured memories.
Thank you to all the Wendy Wu Team.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Tina, Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this lovely feedback. We are simply thrilled that you had a exceptional time in China. Thank you also, for your lovely comments about... read more »

Hi. Sorry but Bruce wasn’t our National tour guy, kai Ning was our perfect national tour guy. Tina

Magnificent China

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2018

My husband and I have just been on the Wendy Wu Magnificent China tour. What can I say? It far exceeded our expectations. We did more in 3 weeks than ever thought possible. Our guide David was fantastic. We had a wide range of ages and abilities and he managed it all with professionalism, charm and wit. He took us on a journey through the old and new China, the people, the culture and the country. We went on buses, boats, trains and planes with organised ease. Our hotels were many and varied in quality and services, we can’t complain! We upgraded the cabin and the food on the river cruise and would strongly recommend this. The bigger cabin was lovely and the beautiful table service food and wine was a welcome change to the rest of the tour. In saying that we had more food than enough and on a whole it was very good. We climbed the Great Wall, saw the Terracotta Warriors, visited the pandas, went to shows that were indescribable ( loved them all), saw amazing scenery, journeyed through the old and new China, went on the fasted train in the world (unbelievable) made friends and have come away in awe of this wonderful country. China you are indeed magnificent, David you were the best and we would recommend Wendy Wu to anyone Thanks

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Janet, Thank you for taking the time to post this feedback of you Magnificent China tour. It is wonderful to read that you and your husband had a wonderful time and this this far exceeded ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
Private message

Excellent Tour but too Rushed!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2018

I have recently return from the fantastic Golden Triangle India Tour with Wendy Wu Tours. The tour itself was very well organised and coordinated and the places chosen for us to visit were spectacular! Our tour guide Jessie was excellent - so knowledgeable and patient and our driver deserves a medal for navigating though that chaotic traffic! The bus was always comfortable, clean and cool. Couldn't fault the hotel accommodation and the meals were delicious, even as a non curry eater!. However, I think the same tour should be done over 10 days not 8 as there was just too much packed into too short a time with little to no downtime at all, or a couple of things left off to allow one to catch their breath and soak up the experience that is India. It was full on and non stop which was exciting but exhausting. As the tour progressed it became even more rushed. The Bollywood show was a spectacular highlight - but the light and sound show was terrible and should be dropped from the itinerary immediately! The Taj at dawn was fabulous - well worth the early wake up call! All in all a wonderful taste of India and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Wendy Wu tours!

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Haze, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time in India with us. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed the accommodation, sights and tra... read more »

Thank you. Please make sure that light & sound "show" is dropped from the itinerary. It was terrible!

What a great touring holiday Glories of China!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 01, 2018

I have just returned to Brisbane from Glories of China tour by Wendy Wu. A fabulous experience so well coordinated. Yes it was full on and non stop. It packed so much in.It was so comprehensive.National and local tour guides full of knowledge. Yes some of the hotels needed a make over on the inside, and others were perfect (but you only lay down to sleep). So looked after by National Tour Guide Brian Yuan. We became Brian's family. Fully recommend this tour. Fun and new friends made. Looking forward to next years adventure to Cambodia with Wendy Wu Tours. Loved my experience of China.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Beryl, We appreciate you posting this feedback about the above-mentioned tour. It is wonderful to read that you had a fabulous time and are already thinking about your next trip with us! T... read more »

Sydney

• 2 comments
  • 3 helpful votes

Wendy Wu Tours - don't use them - no more than 3 star

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 01, 2018

Used Wendy Wu for their Wonders of China Tour for 14 days. 22 on our bus but a second group of 22 was run in conjunction. This was a tour where you run from early till late and confusion reigned .
Our 1st day started at 7.30 am and was huge - Tianamen Square, Forbidden City, Hutongs, Rickshaw Ride, Temple of Heaven- a 30-45 min freshen up before the Kung Fu night show.
2nd day was 7 am start, again huge- climbed the Great Wall, went to Jade shop & visited the big Summer Palace Gardens. We got another quick freshen up for dinner. 3rd day was 6.15 am to the airport for a flight to Xian and a 3hr delay. We were out until 10.30 pm seeing the Xian lights and the next day started at 7.30 am to see the Terracotta Warriors and continued until 10.30 or 11 pm again. This went on for 2 weeks with a small reprieve in the middle. They called this trip Comfortable!
We saw everything, which was great, but arrangements kept changing and we came home absolutely exhausted. I must say that the guide that travelled with us did her very best to make things easier and more comfortable. We had very little shopping time eg. 30-40 mins just a couple of times, except in the more expensive outlets. Our last day in Shanghai we spent the afternoon hanging around a coffee shops 1. because we didn't want to do the optional tour up the 3rd tallest building in poor visibility. (the 2nd tallest building in the world (Shanghi's tallest) was across the road but there wasn't enough time apparently) & 2. because we chose not to go on the optional tour to ride for 15 mins on the Maglev train (something we had previously done).
I will never do group tours with Wendy Wu again and suggest you think twice before using them too.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Mazmar, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very disappointed to hear that this tour did not meet expectations. The ratings of our itineraries refer to the physica... read more »

Regarding fitness- I am very fit for age and this tour was much more strenuous than expected. It seems to me that you are finding excuses instead of listening to your customers who are open enough ... read more »

Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Mazmar, We apologise that our initial response caused further upset, this was certainly not our intention. Our Customer Relations team works on analyzing all passenger feedback received to... read more »

Tauranga

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Dreams of Nature 23 day tour

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 01, 2018

We have just returned from a magnificent tour and our tour guide Wendy Liu was absolutely superb. She was so caring and down to earth that we all got along with her very well. Wendy's English was excellent and she was so knowledgeable. The tour included some beautiful scenery and was excellent value. It was disappointing that the Nine Villages Valley had been destroyed in the earthquake, but we thoroughly enjoyed the replacement walk around the National Park near Wulong which was one of the highlights of our trip.
Meals were of a high standard and enjoyable. It was interesting to see all the different dishes which were brought out each time.
Thank you for a wonderful holiday.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Trish, Thank you for taking a moment to share this feedback. We are delighted to read that this tour was a magnificent experience for you that was enhanced by the caring capabilities of yo... read more »

Dreams of Nature Tour - Wow !!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 01, 2018

If you're looking for a 5-star tour of China, this is it - the Wendy Wu "Dreams of Nature" tour. Mine was a spur of the moment decision, and it was without doubt one of the best travel decisions I've made. Every expectation was met. Several were exceeded. The trip was September this year, 2018. So just back. The landscape in this region of China is simply breathtaking. Be prepared for some serious photo editing when you get back home, It's a photographers paradise. Even if you're a person who isn't snap happy you'll have memories for a lifetime. There's lots of hiking and lots of stairs, but the tour is worth every step. A normal level of fitness will get you through. We were never pushed or rushed. There are several long travel days between destinations. Think Alice to Uluru, Darwin to Kakadu, Sydney to the Hunter Valley vineyards - those sorts of days. We always had a 30+ seat bus for our group of 17. Witnessing China's road, rail and building infrastructure along the way helps to pass the time.
Accommodation was first class and the mix of meals was about 2 to 1. Two Chinese a day (lunch and dinner) and one Western (Breakfast). Also the tour I was on was blessed in three ways - good weather, a great group and a most wonderful National tour guide. Wendy Liu. Wendy was thorough in every way, she went out of her way to be of extra assistance when needed, she was always up-beat, her Chinglish was perfect, her information always interesting and she had a great sense of humour. She was an absolute delight.
I can honestly say the only downside for me was that a couple of places on the itinerary were closed for different reasons. Can happen on any trip.
This was my first Wendy Wu tour, and as you can do doubt tell it won't be my last. I've had the good fortune to travel quite extensively over quite a few years, much of if independently. As a conducted group tour I have no hesitation in giving this 5 out of 5, Maybe even 6. It was a great adventure and wonderful experience.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Prenz, Thank you for providing this glowing review of the above-mentioned tour. Dreams of Nature is one of our favourite itineraries as it visits some of the lesser known scenic areas of ... read more »

Cities of the Orient ....magnificent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 30, 2018

This was our first time in China. The tour took in all the attractions we had heard about.....and more. Our guide, Ricky was the best guide we have ever had on an organised tour. He has become a true friend. The tour itself was of excellent value. The only small complaint I could make was the accomodation In HongKong for the last few nights. After speaking with reception they placed us in another room so I can’t say our concerns were not addressed. The food in their restaurant made up for the first room. China was showcased so well through the itinerary that we have been singing the county’s praises on our return. To think that everything was included in the cost made the tour exceptional value. There were a few optional activities but there was no pressure for everyone to particiate. we booked through our travel agent and everything was settled for us including visas.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Jan, Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience on the above-mentioned tour. We are thrilled to hear you got to see all you wanted an more! It certainly sounds as if you got the m... read more »

Magnificent China -22 days- exceeded all expectations

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 28, 2018

My wife and I really enjoyed this tour. It was very well planned and organised. We saw more in the time than we could if we had travelled independently, without the stress of making all the arrangements ourselves. We were very fortunate in the national guide who stayed with us throughout. Lily was always helpful and concerned to ensure we had no problems or issues. She must have been working hard behind the scenes to coordinate everything. Yet in person she always had time for each of the 18 members of the group.Lily's charming manner was a major reason the group members jelled so well, with no disagreements but much mutual good feeling. When outside events, a government conference in Beijing, forced a change in plans, Lily expertly made alterations and ensured we were never disadvantaged.
The hotels were of a good standard. The lunches and dinners were always Chinese, which some might find unremitting, but breakfasts could always be Western and anyway it is part of the cultural difference one travels to experience. The national and local guides were always concerned to see we tried some regional dishes and enjoyed the meals. Coaches, and their drivers, were good. (Can't say the same about the general standard of driving in China).
We would recommend this tour and the company.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Richard, Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. It is wonderful to read that you did find your Magnificent China tour to be just that. Our guides are very hardwo... read more »

13 days tour in China

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2018

Thank you, Wendy Wu, for providing a way to enjoy a holiday with very little stress. We enjoyed top tour guides, Amy, Brittney, Steve, Sally and Jack. Amy was our main tour guide and she was able to have everyone enjoy the China experience. Twenty four people for Amy to look after and somehow we all felt we were the only one she was looking after. We learnt the language and the culture of the different places we visited. I needed a doctor and Amy went with me to be my interpreter. Amy saw all of us as her family and tried to have us become one big happy family. Amy gave over 100% to ensure we all would enjoy and learn as much as possible the China experience. My wife and I had a wedding to attend in Taiwan and needed to visit my sister in Singapore. Wendy Wu organised flights and accommodation for us. It was so wonderful to be picked up from our hotel and taken to the airport. And to have a hotel we knew we would enjoy. A wonderful feeling having all the tickets required for the shows or exhibitions. We felt like royalty. The meals different according to where we were.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Graeme, Thank you very much for taking the time to share this feedback. We are simply delighted to hear that you had a thoroughly enjoyable time in China and felt like royalty on this tour. ... read more »

Not what it seems.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2018

We did the Beijing --> Xi'an --> Shanghai 10 day tour. It was not really worth our time or money. I'd been to China twice before, and let me tell you this: this tour does not show you the authentic China. It white-washes it for you. We expected to see the true China, experience the history, tradition and culture. Instead, we were all herded into museums where they tried to pressure-sell us overpriced souvenirs which you could buy in any marketplace for way, way cheaper - and they look exactly the same as the 'real' deal. We weren't allowed any free time - we were herded straight from the tour bus, to the museum, then right back onto the bus. The Chinese food we had at the various restaurants was not fresh, and not authentic. The worst part of the trip, which everyone was upset by, was in Xi'an, where we came out of the Terracotta Warriors and into a large outdoor plaza where there were amazing authentic Chinese Xi'an restaurants around. But instead, they took us to a Western-style Sandwich Cafe, with stale bread and very little food options if you have dietary preferences/issues. The tour guides had great English, but they clearly did not care about our tour experience or well-being - they never smiled, they were impatient, and inflexible. When we were at the Shanghai museum, the bus driver got impatient and left two girls behind! We had to drive back to pick them up, and they were in tears. I hope that in future Wendy Wu tours, us travellers will be given more free time to explore real China ourselves, and not stay back in museums to be pressure-sold items for two whole hours.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Loren, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are very sorry to hear that there were some aspects of this tour that did not meet expectations. Our China Experienc... read more »

Great Wendy Wu tour , out guide was Edward and he was wonderful,enthusiastic and went out of his way

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 23, 2018

Our tour guide was the best .
Was fantastic in all areas
Edward is his name
Friendly, good English and a sense of humour and very professional

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hello Annie, Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback about your guide, Edward. We are delighted to read that he left a lasting impression being friendly, enthusiastic and profess... read more »

Wonders of China - exceeded all expectations

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2018

We recently completed a 16 day Wonders of China tour on 17 September. We were part of a group of 25 from AUS, NZ and UK and we all had a great time and have made some great friends. The tour, the sights, the food, the weather and entertainment all exceeded our expectations.

Our highlights were the Hutong visit, Great Wall, Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square, the lights and beautiful city of Xian, the terracotta warriors, the Muslim Quarter markets, the grand Yangtze River and the ship lift at the Three Gorges Dam, the pandas, the beautiful cities of Guilin and Yangshuo, the Li river and the picturesque mountains, the cormorant fisherman, the beautiful lights and buildings in Shanghai, the bullet train and the Maglev to 431 km/h.

We could not have gone to all of these places and seen all of these things in such a short period other than through the arrangements of Wendy Wu Tours. Our daily activities were coordinated well and made much easier by our International Guide Ivan. From arrival and until we departed, we were made to feel very welcome as part of “Ivan’s Family”. Ivan is a wonderful, caring, well organised guide. He spoke English well and shared his knowledge on the history of China throughout our tour. He also told us many funny but authentic stories of life in China. He was supported by local guides.

We bought a terracotta warrior (a General) from Xian which is getting shipped home and we have a special place at the entrance of our home for it. In recognition of Ivan’s commitment to his ‘family’, desire to please and meet everybody’s needs and his organisational skills, we have named our warrior Ivan.

Thank you to Wendy Wu Tours and to our guide Ivan - we had a great holiday, have many photos and lifetime memories.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hello Adrian, Thank you very much for sharing your experience on our Wonders of China tour, This is one of our most popular itineraries and it is easy to see why with a glowing review like this.... read more »

Best tour ever!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2018

We did the tour Vietnam Panorama starting on Aug. 13, 2018. It was a truly wonderful 18 day experience! We valued the pace and variety of the tour and while we really enjoyed the adventure of trying lots of different local foods we believe it was very perceptive of the tour organisers to arrange the occasional western meal. Our tour guide, Thuan Pham, was the best guide we have ever had (and we have had a few over the years). His knowledge and passion for wanting to share with us about the history of his country and its peoples was amazing. His is an asset to your company and we hope many more tourists are able to enjoy the same experience that we have had.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Ken, We really appreciate the time you have taken to share this feedback. We are simply thrilled that you found this to be this tour and your guide to be the best ever, especially as you have... read more »

1 of 11 pages