A China Experience (10 days - Shanghai, Xian and Beijing)

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 25, 2018

We start the trip with trepidation because Wendy Wu Sydney office was poor in providing documentation for our visa application. It caused a lot of unnecessary stress.
Fortunately, the guides in China were wonderful. Wendy Liu, the national guide who travel with the whole group, was very organized and patient. She loves history and provides excellent explanations, especially in Xian. Wendy also provides many personal touches, like catering food for those with special needs in the group and helped to monitor children (my restless 10 year old son) in very crowded spaces. Kristeen (Shanghai local guide) provides a personal context between old and modern Shanghai. Allen (Beijing local guide) is very cheerful and witty. The early starts in Beijing were worth the trouble because we saw other tours returning late and worn out in the same hotel. The tag team coordination between local guide and national guide was great (help to reduce queuing time for tickets). The guides also provided helpful hints on fake products and questionable foods stalls.
We also took up all the optional items (Maglev and fastest lift, Tang dynasty show and Kungfu show). All were great value for money. The disappointment is Lanxi International Hotel, which restricted its air conditioning in the rooms and made sleep uncomfortable.

Let down in several areas

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2018

My partner and I have recently returned from Discover Japan departing March 28. We were disappointed with two of the hotels, namely the Kanazawa New Grand Hotel and the Hotel Monterey, Osaka. The Kanazawa was dirty and the bed linen had not been changed, having blood stains on the Donna covers. The Osaka hotel was basically a single room with a double bed pushed into a corner with no room to even unpack.
We were eventually transferred to another room for the last 2 nights of our stay after many complaints.
The other disappointment was a booking at a "cafeteria " up the street which was frequented by teenagers in a shopping mall at Kanazawa. The food was very average and it was extremely noisy. That was a surprise as there were several restaurants in our hotel. In our opinion it was a cost cutting exercise.
We have no complaints regarding our tour guide as she was extremely pleasant and obviously embarrassed by some some of our problems.
Unfortunately because of our experience we are unable to recommend Wendy Wu.

China experience tour

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 29, 2018

Did the China experience tour I went by my self the tour had 26 people in it I had the most amazing time from the time I arrived at the airport our guide George pu was absolutely amazing he mad us feel very safe and welcome us all to the China experience a big thank you to the team at Wendy wu and flight centre

Thailand Highlights

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 02, 2018

I am Deaf. I am happy with Wendy Wu Tours. Most Tour Guide Ladies help write down over story's History on Thailand. Amazing trip to Thailand Highlights. I again back from Wendy Wu Tours.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hello Ashley,

Welcome home! We are so happy to read that you've had a wonderful time on your Thailand Highlights tour and felt looked after.

Trust you have many wonderful memories of your journey.

Kind regards,

The team at Wendy Wu Tours

• 2 helpful votes

Amazing trip to China!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 01, 2018

Wendy Wu tours and their amazing staff made our visit to China wonderful. Our guides Melody (in Shanghai) and Linda (in Beijing) were so wonderful - words fail me! They took care of us, adjusted tours to suit my needs (arthritis) and made sure we didn't miss a thing. Both ladies had a huge amount of knowledge and were also able to answer many questions about their culture and customs. China has so much to offer and when you are guided by such amazing people it is extra special! We thought it was the trip of a lifetime but it was so good we will have to return!

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Joan, What a fantastic review to kick off 2018 - thank you! Very pleased to read that you had such a fantastic time in China so much so, that you may return. We would certainly be delighted t... read more »

• 1 comment
  • 2 helpful votes

great china holiday

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2017

Did a wonderful highlights of China tour with wendy wu. Great accommodation, saw everything we had ever dreamed of.. Wonderful Yangtze river cruise. well organised. The only thing to be aware of is Never ever book during any of the Chinese public holidays. Everywhere was horrifically crowded to the point of spoiling some of the holiday.This however was the travel agents error and our own for not checking dates.

Angkor to Bay

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2017

We came back from the Wendy Wu tour covering Angkor temple tours and Vietnam. The tour was very well organised by Wendy Wu and great value for money. The tour is memorable due to selection of excellent guides who are well educated and informed.
Our guide in Combodia Sokhoeun was a gentle person with good education and lot of knowledge on the history of places visited and the country. He is such an asset for your company.
Our Guide Tam for Vietnam was smart, extremely well educated with a wealth of information on Vietnams history and an equally good
Ambassador for Wendy Wu.
We really enjoyed our stay in Vietnam.
Thanks to Flight centre, Wendy Wu, and the guides in both Combodia & Vietnam, we carry fond memories of our tour to these two countries.

S & K Ram

Saipan

• 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Silk Road, September 2017...... an utter mess!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2017

A major disappointment. We wasted 5 full days......yes, 5 days in which we did nothing relevant to the published tour itinerary, in order to avoid overnight trains (which were on the itinerary) and make sure we were forced to see the "factory tours" (retail sales stores).

Booked online, direct with WW.

[name removed] was horrible. 2 days of itinerary inexplicably changed into one day AND we did not arrive at the first venue until 11:30 AM, because we were forced to go to a retail store. 1 1/2 hour rush job at Terra-cotta Warriors (+ 1 hr for lunch), one hour on the City Wall and 40 minutes in the Religious Sector Quarter (my wife and I had spent 3 hours there, before the tour started). People traveled 1/2 way around the world, and we were to " walk thru, and if you have questions, you can ask later".....since it was our first (and only) visit, we started to guess at what would be a good question. Only to be told that we were out of time for Q&A.

There was a complete inability , OR DESIRE, by (all but one) local guides to impart knowledge.

The National Rep was scared of the local guides. Even when our entire group complained to her, she would not ask the local guides to be more informative.

Luckily, there were two Phd.'s, who were tourist in our group........they spent their time correcting the local guides, and they helped provide historical , cultural, and antiquital information.

in Kashgar, the outdoor animal market opened only on Sunday at noon. We were taken there between 10am and 11:15am........and told that we had to leave early.

The entire 25 day tour was fraught with excuses, unnecessary waste of days, and venues in which we had too little time to permit a proper understanding of its' historical importance.

IMAGINE, Spending the money for a couple to take a WW TOUR, and then being told that you needed to rush through several important venues, that were the major highlights of the tour.

UNFORGIVABLE.

We will cancel our reservation for a 2018 Wendy Wu Tour, and forfeit our deposit.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

A country of contrasts - Beauty, poverty, a cruel history and great potential.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 02, 2017

We recently went on the "Around Cambodia" tour which we booked through our Travel Agent. What a great experience it was too - this place has a disturbing history and you wonder how it survived at all, yet the people are friendly and very welcoming of tourists from all nationalities.
The scenery is simply stunning and Angkor Wat alone makes the trip worthwhile. The tour guide we had was a fellow named Sokhoeun Bout, and what a great pleasure it was to travel with this man. He had an extensive knowledge of his country's history, a desire to share it, and the passion to make it enjoyable. Well Done Sokhoeun!
If you do this tour, be prepared for a few physical climbs. We had a couple of tough days, but worth the effort.

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hi Steve, Thank you for taking the time to post such an informative review. You've certainly described Cambodia so well and we are happy to read that you enjoyed the diversity - history and cultur... read more »

Great trip to see all the major sites in China

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 13, 2017

We recently went on a 22 day Magnificent China tour beginning on 11 September with our National Guide , Lee. It was a lovely experience, with a wonderful group of people. The tour met all our expectations, visiting wonderful places of interest but also learning about the culture and the people. The only thing we would have preferred was more time to climb the wall so that we could have enjoyed this national historical site. Lee was amazing. He was professional and very organised ensuring that we were supported and happy the whole time. He was kind, generous and caring often going above and beyond to ensure that any problems we had were solved. We couldn't have asked for a better guide.

Majestic Yangtze tour

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 07, 2017

I recently went on the majestic Yangtze trip in china. The trip was fantastic. The trip was well planned out, and was able to see some of the most amazing sights china has to offer. the National guide was fantastic and so were the local guides we had. I had booked this wendy wu tour through flight centre. the experience went smoothly.
The only thing I would liked to have had little more time at the silk factory shop to get extra time to look more thoroughly through the stuff for sale, in order to buy presents etc for the folks back home, just felt a little rushed that day.

April 5th 2018 Update: Majestic Yangtze tour

Last September I did the majestic Yangtze tour with Wendy Wu. It was fantastic, everything was organised with precision every step of the way by our wonderful national guide. She was approachable, friendly, organised, happy to help us with everything and anything we needed (had organised some food for me when I was late one morning to the bus and hadn't had time to go to breakfast, just brilliant). I intend to go to Vietnam this year and was so impressed with Wendy Wu tour group, I will use them again for my Vietnam trip.
I used flight centre to book me up to the Wendy Wu tour of china, and it was easier for me to do it that way.

Happy traveller.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2017

Went on 21 day magnificent China tour with Edward as tour leader went as a solo traveler and willing to share my roomie was great. This tour has changed my perspective of China what a wonderful country. Would go there again loved everything.

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer

Best tour guide we have ever had!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 03, 2017

Cambodia was very interesting, disturbing in parts and beautiful in others. Too much time on the coach was the only downside. The upside was the most helpful, informative and hardworking tour guide..Vuttha Dam!!!! The dear man worked up to 20 hours a day, always smiling and ready to assist in any way, even holding sick bags!! His English was excellent, knowledge brilliant and people skills wonderful, he turned many tricky situations around. Vuttha made our holiday so please thank him from me.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Verified Customer

What a fantastic country Cambodia is

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 27, 2017

14 day around Cambodia, we had the best national tour guide ever, his name is Vuttha, when you do a Wendy Wu tour please ask for him, he was so happy, polite and nothing was too much trouble for him, Vuttha is such a gentleman in every way he really made our holiday, congratulations Wendy Wu for having him on your team. Just go to Cambodia and have a super holiday like we did and hopefully you will get Vutta too. We did our trip in September 2017 and arranged it though Flight Centre.

• 3 helpful votes

Our guide saved the tour - Around Cambodia

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2017

We're just back from a 14 day Around Cambodia tour. If it weren't for our guide, [name removed], this tour would probably have finished in a riot after 5 days. We spent SO MUCH time on buses, wasted a day at Sihanoukville, and saw so little in the first half of the tour that [name removed] had a very disgruntled group on his hands. Add to this 2 broken down buses and the tour was in trouble.
[name removed] energy, knowledge, commitment and cheerful personality held it together for us; nothing was too much trouble, and he kept on smiling and helping until we got to Siem Reap and had a great 4 days to end the tour. Even a broken down boat on the lake cruise didn't faze us!
This itinerary is too thin in the first half, with not enough to see and far too much travel on poor roads. Sihanoukville was a waste, there's virtually nothing to do there and it takes a full day in the bus to get there and get back; really poor. Phnom Penh is pretty good, and the Siem Reap closing 4 days is worthwhile.
We had a generally good group of 17 but the whole thing would have been a disaster without [name removed]- Wendy Wu Tours is very lucky to have him on board. He even assisted arranging private day trips when we did have free time.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Dear Richard, Thank you for your review. We do believe that our guides are critical to our tours and can make or break the touring experience. While there were some elements of your tour that did ... read more »

Awesome Andy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2017

Me and my partner were nervous travelling to china for the first time but Wendy Wu was great. We booked the 2 week trip ourselves thru the website. Our guide was Andy ,he done a excellent job especially considering the large size and different ability's of our group. Would recommend him as a guide if available. All our local guides were great to, with a special mention for Melody in Shanghai for going the extra mile. John and Jess (New Zealand)

Albion Park

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer

A once in a livetime experience.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2017

Wendy Wu In Pursuit Of Pandas 8 Day China Tour.
We booked this in person through Flight Centre.

I asked my group and we all agreed that this was a fast paced tour. Although it does give you adequate free time to look around all the sights you visit. It cost more than other tours we found but very few cover what this tour does.
What’s included? Your international flights, your visa, accommodation, china domestic flights, all meals (not including drinks), English speaking guides and fees to all scheduled sites visited. There are several optional extras at an additional cost, I highly recommend that you do them all.
The main highlights are The Great Wall, Beijing (Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven), The Terracotta Warriors and the Giant Pandas.
I saw all the warnings about Chinese food. My wife and I are very basic eaters so we took a lot of snacks from home, but we found that at every meal there was something we could eat and keep us satisfied. Make sure you tell your guide if you do not like spicy foods and they will make sure it is less spicy than the Chinese normally eat.
Our guide was Amy and she was great. She was happy for us to raise any concerns and went out of her way to fix it for you. Each area has a local guide as well as your main guide (who travels all the way with you). We had Teddy (Beijing), Lilly (Xian) and Abby (Chengdu) and all of them knew there areas well and made sure you got to your location in good time to see us much as possible.
The optional extras: You are made aware of all the optional extras well before you travel so that you can have enough money with you. The Kung Fu Show, Xian city night tour and the Chengdu Face Changing Show are all worth seeing. They provide you with the Chinese culture and history of their arts. Included is the Tang Dynasty Dancing Show which is very interesting and colourful, a good time to relax after feasting on Traditional Shui Jiao Dumplings.
Sites like the Xian ancient city wall and the Huanglongxi Village will leave you with a lasting impression.
I believe that the trip to the Leshan Grand Buddha could be made an optional extra as it requires more than a 4 hour return trip, by bus, to spend 20 minutes in a boat for 5 minutes of picture opportunities of the Buddha.
The accommodation in all 3 cities is good. The only problems I experienced were that the mini bar fridges did not work, the lights are on but they are not cold. They also have problems with stopping people smoking in the Hotels in Beijing and Xian. And in Chengdu they are allowed to smoke in all areas including the restaurant. The beds in Beijing and Chengdu are very firm and in Xian it is like sleeping on a rock but you are only there for one night and very tired when you arrive.
Be prepared for flight delays, all of ours were late. This is a common problem in China. Without our guide to check us in and get us to our flight we would have been totally lost. Things change quick at the airports and all announcements are in Chinese. Amy was very good at getting us through to our gates. Do not put batteries, cameras, magnets, matches or lighters in your check in bags! Cameras and batteries must be shown at the security check in and matches and lighters thrown into a collection bin! You pick up a new lighter from a collection bin at the next airport. The buses are small (very suited for Chinese roads), comfortable and clean. Nothing will prepare you for how they drive in China! Bottled water is provided on your bus, usually not cold.
A hint, at the Great Wall they will try to sell you a baseball cap for 50 Yuan (RMB) you can get it for 15 Yuan by bartering. At the Huanglongxi Village they do not like to barter. Watch out for counterfeit currency or foreign currency being passed off as Chinese RMB. Be good to your group, or family as Amy called us, and be ready on time and back from your free time on time. This will make everything flow freely and makes for a happy group. We only had 18 people in our group.
I highly recommend this trip. There is no way that I could plan something like this myself. It maybe a bit more expensive but I believe you get value for your money. Even up to your last flight home you are escorted by your guide

Wonders of China

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2017

How lucky we were having Vivian Zhong as our tour guide. Her knowledge of her country was amazing as was her personality. She was up there with the best.
On the negative side..tour was advertised as Moderate.....no.....should be fast to heavy with the average age on our tour around 65, and many found it hard going.
The other negative is the food....it really was terrible....twice a day,to much.....make available some western food options, and there are plenty of places choices around the places we visited...... Free time was limited......never saw inside a shopping centre to feel the difference.
Ian and Beth Stockley
Newcastle. Sept 2017

What we wanted.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2017

We were looking for a fully escorted, all inclusive, hassle free tour and that's what we got. Our trip was a 16 day Angkor to the Bay tour of Cambodia and Vietnam. Our Local guides (Sokhoeun Bout, Cambodia, and Nguyen Manh Cuong, Vietnam ) were wonderful and very approachable, both with a good sense of humour, and couldn't do enough for us. They are both very suitable for escorting easy going Aussies!! Their knowledge of their respective countries and history was exceptional.Their love of their respective countries was palpable.They both made our tour HASSLE FREE. Both countries offered beautiful scenery, wonderful historic sights, friendly,ever smiling people.The tour provided a very good insight into how people live, warts and all.The histories of both countries,provided by our guides and visits to various sights,provided the local view of history and not just the western view, we were used too. If you are reasonably fit,adaptable and are looking for a hassle free tour, this may well suit you.Money well spent.

Perth, Western Australia

Grand Tour of China 13/07-07/08/17

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 13, 2017

I have booked my 26-day trip to China through a travel agent as they recommended Wendy Wu company as one of the best in the industry. And they were totally right! The trip was very well planned and organized. I thoroughly enjoyed my holidays, saw all the highlights of China, tasted all kinds of Chinese cuisine and enjoyed the company of fellow travellers (15). Our national tour guide, David He, was very committed, very well organized, professional, with excellent sense of humour. He worked tirelessly behind the scenes to make sure everything was nice and smooth, and everyone was content and comfortable. All our local guides were equally good and very knowledgeable. Our hotels were of good quality and all transport arrangements on time. This was my first trip to China and I had the time of my life! I have already recommended this trip and the company to all my friends. Awesome experience!

Comments
Wendy Wu Tours Official

Hello Marta, Thank you for your review and for recommending us to your friends. We are so pleased to read that your enjoyed the many highlights of China. David has been receiving many wonderful co... read more »

1 of 8 pages