Filter By:

hobart

Appalling and unprofessional

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2019

Only once and this will be the last time. Almost 6 weeks and still no resolution to a simple claim. If I could click no stars I would. Next time I shall go with icover who were excellent for travel insurance on a previous trip

Denver, CO

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

If anyone needs me, I’ll be emailing World Nomads. Again.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 29, 2018

Since the last outdated review, this company is still standing on ceremony... unceremoniously.

First time experience. I filed a claim six weeks ago. One-line emails from the claims department failing to explain the process efficiently and professionally. Chasing after staff and management continuously from nearly 10,000 miles away, with no reply from management and often times, 3-4 days in between email replies from claims department. No updated information on the portal. I ask questions and they go unanswered. I'm in the same time zone as Australia, but their "system" forces me to deal with offices in America. When it comes to conflict resolution and informing their customers on their services, they are clearly nomads themselves.

Since I could not get a proper, timely response, this seems to be the best way to get their attention: your service needs work. My experience leads me to believe the following: this company, with their trendy branding, hip website and utter lack of substance, could not care less about the people they are supposed to serve.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Good company, a bit overpriced if you don't do adventure sports

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 18, 2018

Good company, a bit overpriced if you don't do adventure sports. If do you adventure sports while traveling, they are pretty much the best. Not sure sure why so many people complaint below, I have 2 friends I was traveling with who had to claim with World nomads and they got paid no problems. I used to use World nomads but never had to claim anything. Now I don't do adventure sports anymore so I prefer to buy my travel insurance with Safety wing, relatively new service but cheaper than World nomads. It depends what style of traveler you are.

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Rogeraussieboy,
Thanks for sharing your review with the travel community and I'm glad we where there when your friends needed cover.
I hope you continue to have amazing adventures!
Safe travels,
Sarah - World Nomads

Brisbane

Dismal Service - DO NOT TRAVEL WITH WORLD NOMADS

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 22, 2018

I had travel insurance organised with World Nomads for 1 year and 5 months, and luckily I didn't have to make any claims, so didn't have any issues as the initial process for signing up and giving them your money is streamlined. Until you need actual service is when you're wasting your time.

When the year and a half was almost up I wanted to buy an additional policy as I continued travelling, and asked if I could receive a small discount as I was on a tight budget and had already paid huge amounts to travel with them and was yet to claim. They obliged, however at the checkout I did not apply the discount, so contacted them on the same day asking if I could please amend it. They said they were unable to, so I asked to please cancel the insurance that I had booked the day prior. From here on in they proceeded to ignore my emails. I sent a follow up email 5 days later, no response. I emailed again 4 days later and they told me they didn't receive my other emails which I have clear records of, and sent screenshots of to confirm. This email was then also ignored. I sent another TWO follow up emails, and no reply. They left me completely in the dark. I was unable to call off my phone at the time and they provide only one email contact, so I was unable to reach them any other way while they blatantly ignored my emails.

Over this time I was asking to cancel the new insurance, I was also still covered by the previous policy I had bought from them as they overlapped. It could have been a simple process where the new policy was cancelled within the cooling off period, and I re-bought with the loyalty code. However the company had complete lack of care or accountability, and happily ignored my emails until I finally gave up.

When customers are travelling they should be able to rely on the insurance company for small administrative tasks. If they are unable to do this I can't imagine if you were in actual trouble and needed to claim or seek help while travelling.

I was planning to email this complaint directly now that I am back home, however realised it probably wouldn't be replied to anyway, and that they would take more accountability on a public platform.

I will never be using World Nomads again, and will ensure friends and family are warned to stay far away. Do not waste your time or money.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Anna, I'm sorry to hear of your recent experience with getting in touch with us whilst you were travelling, I hope you still managed to have a great trip regardless. I'd like to look into th... read more »

Melbourne, VIC

Got paid eventually

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2018

I had to provide A LOT of information and proof, it took many weeks but eventually I did receive some money for my claim. Not all of it but enough to have justified the time spent. Make sure you keep as many of your travel documents and receipts as possible. I think I did okay compared to some of the reviews I have read here. I was surprised to receive a good response. One woman even called me on the phone to chat one day about my claim which was a pleasant surprise! I think they are fair but like all insurance companies expect to work for it.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Carly, I'm glad everything went smoothly for your claim. Depending on the type of claim submitted, certain docs are needed. However, I'll pass this back onto our claims department to see wha... read more »

Coventry

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Explorer doesnt cover what you would expect. Never using them again.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 31, 2018

Airline (air france, never using them again either) failed to get me to my destination of tokyo for a ski tour. Stranded in charles degaulle airport without my luggage (they lost that too) for 16 hours. No hotel provided by air france. I gave up and flew home after being awake for over 36 hours.

Tried claiming for a trip cancellation- they said ‘nope, you’d left your country of origin’. I’d made it as far as my connecting airport.... that’s it. Then tried claiming for trip abandonment (i was going to miss my rendezvous with the tour and no snowboard gear means little point in carrying on). But I couldn’t claim for trip abandonment once i’d started my journey.

There is no provision for cover (even explorer cover) for the loss of gear that precludes the point of the trip in the first place. Marketed as for ‘explorers’, if the airline loses your ski, snowboard, scuba, surf gear etc what are you supposed to do? Rent gear in the backwoods of northern Honshu? Replace gear worth thousands in a foreign country with the hope you might be able to claim it back? You can’t claim for the total loss of the trip despite not having the gear needed for said trip.

I lost over £2k through this sham of ‘explorer cover’. Don’t do the same. Make provisions, do your research.

Lack of integrity

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2018

I tried to resolve this in the most amicable way possible but their tone to me was just condescending and unempathetic. I can't even begin to imagine what would happen if I needed to make a claim with them.

My birthday was not captured correctly and I contacted World Nomads immediately to amend it. They could not do it and required that I cancel and repurchase the policy. I declined and said I wanted my money back because the process was too convoluted.

By the time they had a definite answer from the underwriters, my trip has concluded. In their email to me, they mentioned that I "have not been insured correctly" for my trip. And in their explanation to me regarding why they did not want to refund me, they said, "Policy WNAUS18518521 would have provided cover for your trip, and in the event of a claim, we would have reserved the right to obtain the additional premium from you for your correct age."

How shocking is this lack of integrity? My premium was less than $100 but it wasn't the lost of money which was disappointing but the sheer lack of empathy from them. I am disgusted.

It is true that little people will find it hard to get just recourse from big companies, but hopefully this review will shed some light on some of the issues which might arise if one chooses to go with them. Caveat emptor and safe travels

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi I.L, Thanks for your feedback on your recent experience. I apologise for the run-around you were given when trying to amend your DOB - we don't want to make things difficult when they do... read more »

No need for platitudes on social media if there is no sincerity to rectify. Simply posting your email address isn’t sufficient in this day and age but I wish your company all the best. If this lack... read more »

Sacramento

Save yourself!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 27, 2018

I made the mistake of relying on travel bloggers' recommendations for travel insurance and not reading these reviews prior to purchasing. My experience has been similar to most of the 1-2 star reviews.

The original claim form only requested medical receipts, which I submitted May 29th. On June 14th, I received an email requesting more documentation. Had I known this information was needed, I would have submitted it with my original claim form instead of wasting two weeks waiting for the request. I responded to the email with all documentation on the 18th. On the 24th, I noticed my claim status online still reflected that they requested information and I had 21 days to respond, so I emailed back asking for confirmation that they received the info and asking for an approximate date that my claim will be processed.

By July 2nd, no one had responded to my emails so I attempted to call. I waited on hold for a long time (collecting international call fees) and could not even use their call back feature since I had an international number. I finally gave up and sent yet another email. Realizing this email address probably won't bother responding, I forwarded the email to another address I found online. The next day, I received an automated email stating the documentation I submitted had been received. What?? Where was it this whole time??

Today, July 6th, I receive an email (finally from a human) stating the attachments were not successfully sent in my email. Well yes, because I forwarded my original email to another address in hopes that someone would respond. I didn't realize the email address requesting the documents wouldn't bother sending the information to the email address that actually processes those documents.

So 5 weeks later, I have barely managed to get someone to ask me for my documentation again. All backpackers out there probably know what it would feel like to have no clue when/if a $2000+ claim will be processed. To add insult to injury, my travel insurance was going to expire soon after I originally submitted my claim, so I purchased another 3-month policy not knowing how terrible the experience was going to be. I don't know if I should be angry that I wasted more money on World Nomads, or hope I don't have another incident that I have to claim through them.

Update: it’s now July 27th, I had already submitted the last of what they requested from me, and I received an email stating I needed to resubmit my attachments. I was hoping to give them a chance and update my review, but I feel like I need to chop off the hand I got surgery on and mail it in to get just a tad bit closer to getting my claim processed.

Absolute Scam for Adventure Sports, AVOID

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2018

Although their Explorer policy appears to be the best travel insurance for adventure sports like back country skiing or snowboarding the moment you try and make a claim you realize that they are a complete scam.

I had to get helicopter rescued in Switzerland as I was stuck at the top of a 300 foot cliff, but they didn't pay as I didn't have a medical condition at the time of rescue. I was at risk of dying if I moved any direction, however as my leg was not broken I was not covered. I had thought this was the exact type of situation I was buying Explorer coverage for?!

Also, I had a trip cancelation due to unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances out of my control and they also did not cover this although I provided all documentation.

It sucks because I had purchased World Nomads many times before and I thought this was the best insurance for my travels and sporting interests.

I started to realize it was probably a scam when I was attempting to navigate their member's portal on their website. It seems to be intentionally buggy, requires you to login multiples times, the claim section is somewhat hidden, and then a lot of claims can't be made online anyhow. Even when you call them they can't look up your policy by being given your policy number. What?!

It really sucks that the difference between their website and sign-up process is so different to when you actually have to make a claim. If buy special adventure travel insurance for backcountry snowboarding and needs to be rescued literally to avoid death but it doesn't cover, why not just buy regular travel insurance?

Although their marketing makes them seem like the best choice for adventure activities they'll do their best to avoid paying any claims.

Sydney

Very poor, stay away

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 02, 2018

Easy to sign up, impossible to discuss a claim. No response to email after 8 days. Hopeless, rip off, stay away

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Rob,

Thanks for reaching out.

I've checked the inbox and can see that all emails are under 24 hours.

Can you please send your email through to help@worldnomads.com?

World Nomads.

Matt, 9 days, no reply. check 23.06. sorry. nothing here. It's just been a rubbish experience and talk of depriciating my lost items.

Private message

Did not cover flight cancellation due to fine print

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 06, 2018

My flight for tomorrow got cancelled by the airline for operational reasons. Not my fault. The airline couldn’t provide another flight the same day, so will give me a refund, and I have now booked a different flight. However I’m out of pocket by $450aud as the new flight was more expensive. World Nomads said they won’t cover as they say it’s the airlines fault and they should provide me with an alternative flight (which they did but it was a whole day later, so too late for me to fly). They will only cover me if the flight is cancelled due to reasons outside of the airlines control (eg hijack/ weather). Overall, not paying out when needed really sums up my view of insurance companies. Only positive is that the lady on the phone was nice and I did speak to someone quickly.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Mkss, Sorry to hear that the airline cancelled your flight. If you want me to look at the outcome of your claim to ensure that it's in line with the policy, flick an email through to help@wor... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Don't expect support when you need it!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

Purchased the Explorer plan (Most Expensive) and when I had a Injury and had to go to 2 different hospitals (very poor one available on the village in and big one after in the city) there was no support before or after the claim. The insurance always asked me to pay up front and never helped with any support (either information on where to go or how to proceed). I spent more than 400 Eur between Doctor Appointment fees and transportation to go on the city and do the necessary exams. When you presented the exhausting list of documents required they ask you 2 weeks to analyse the case and with good lawyers find a way to interpret the insurance contract and escape from paying anything.
In my case they told: I did not get their prior approval for traveling to a better hospital in the city.
Although I reported the accident and told them I was in a Indonesian Island with a very poor hospital (smaller then a house) with no equipment and might need to do exams in a bigger hospital.
The insurance replied: We hope you feel better and please pay up front and make the claim after on our web site form.
I would like to mention I did send pictures bleeding a lot on my chest and later medical reports about the dislocated shoulder injury together with all the paper work requested on the exhausting Online Claim section of the World Nomads.
Totally a Scam!!!!!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Filipe,

Can you please email your details through to help@worldnomads.com so I can look into this for you?

Poor

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

Claim form online extremely hard and annoying to fill up. Emergency number not working. I was on a car accident and found out they are not covering anything. Not even sunglasses for some funny reason? The first and the last time.

Avoid at all costs

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 11, 2018

Pulling teeth is easier than making a claim with this company. From a terrible website that sends you through numerous dead ends when attempting to make a claim to a communications department that will make every attempt to ignore you and your claim. I have been absolutely disgusted by the behaviour of World Nomads and will never insure through them again.

Sydney

Lying, cheating claims department

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 26, 2018

After my rental car was broken into during the day in France I did everything right. Reported it to Police, contacted the insurer and submitted my claim when I got home.

I was required to pay for a translator to translate the police report into English otherwise they wouldn't accept the claim.

After several weeks I was informed that I couldn't claim the loss of my passports or high value items as they do not cover for those items stolen from cars. They gave me a measly few hundred dollars for the clothes that were stolen and wouldn't pay the rest of the claim.

When I pointed out the Policy refers to 'non-daylight hours' they said there was another clause excluding high value items and passports at ANY TIME.

The Policy document is 68 pages long and the clause they rely on is two lines long. The policy effectively covers nothing and is inconsistent with itself.

What is the point of insurance when you do everything right, pay huge fees and ask for help in an emergency?
You get nothing.

Do not insure yourselves with this company

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Ben, While the policy document is 68 pages long, all of the baggage cover in the Australian policy is listed across 6 pages. These pages also include including tables. The reason why the tables... read more »

Insurance claim made

NEVER AGAIN! Not worth the money.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2017

I would not recommend this travel insurance for ANYONE. I understand they have policies and have to detail everything but I have been working on my claim for 6 MONTHS! I had missed flights, medical reports, and accommodation totaling to about $1200. They only gave me $220 of that back. It has taken them the 6 months to finally send me a detailed letter explaining why they can and cannot cover me for certain things. I completely understand why they can't cover certain aspects of my claim but for it to take 6 months, multiple emails, constant scanning of documents, and just a down right awful communication process is ridiculous. On top of everything, their claim form SUCKS! Half the information I added in didn't show up which is why I had to file the claim for the second time, and it is not well explained on the website or when I received my printed document of my filed claim. For me to pay $500 for this insurance and only get a small amount back really blows. Before I had insurance through this company I had paid $30 for basic travel insurance through a small company and they helped 10X more than this one. I also got EVERYTHING I claimed back.

Not worth the money.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Jessie,

We've replied to your other review.

Brunswick

Absolutely atrocious customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2017

After dislocating and breaking my shoulder and damaging my rotator cuff in Australia, I began to submit a claim status for my injuries. The customer service was absolutely horrible - the after hours help line for their American subsidiary/partner, TripMate, was useless. They couldn't provide any information or help. Their emergency line hung up on me when I asked who I could contact regarding questions about the claims forum as well. Rude & incompetent staff, not to mention that their online claim process isn't even online. They require you to print out numerous forms, assume international call costs, and provide non existent customer service during hours reasonable for someone living in Australia. It's like they've designed it to deter people from having the patience to actually submit a claim. It's pretty crappy having to wake up at ungodly hours with serious injuries just to get hung up on by some rude woman who doesn't feel like doing her job.

Would not ever recommend this company again. Unprofessional, poorly organized, and overly complicated claims process.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Spencer, I'm sorry to hear that you broke your shoulder in Australia. We take your feedback very seriously. The last thing we want for our travelers is a bad customer service experience, esp... read more »

Update: 6 weeks later, I haven't seen a dime. 10k+ in impending bills for surgery, ambulance, hospital, physio, etc. World Nomads subsidiary, Trip Mates is quite literally a hive of villainy, and I... read more »

Edmonton

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Phone got stolen and they say it's not covered

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2017

I used this company for over a year and only made a few medical claims, but a week before my trip ended, my bag which had my phone, credit card, and other ID in it was stolen on the beach in Barcelona. I was in the water but my friends were on the beach watching over our stuff and it was still stolen - they say they can't pay my claim because it wasn't being supervised, but it clearly was. Am I supposed to bring my belongings with me into the water every time I go to the beach or a pool? They keep telling me that it wasn't supervised, when I've made it very clear that it was. I made a police report in Barcelona and have all the receipts and documents showing what was stolen. This is ridiculous, people get travel insurance for situations like just this. I won't be using this company again if they can't even protect my belongings when they get stolen. My laptop also got damaged because someone spilt water on it and they won't do anything about that because "mechanical malfunctions" aren't covered, even though it isn't just a random malfunction but a result of damage. I'm so exhausted trying to talk to this company and explain my situation as I always get the same response back and no help at all.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi PaigeH, Thanks for getting in touch. Can you please send your policy number and details to help@worldnomads.com, and I'll look further into your claim to see what options you have. All the b... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

I won't use them again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

Don't choose world nomads. They would not even refund me the remainder of my travel insurance when part way through a working holiday my travel companion/girlfriend had a family emergency. It was her immediate family and she was very upset. Most companies will refund a remainder of insurance if you cancel trip part way through for emergency. Insurance should help you in these unfortunate situations and usually does. But when I submitted a claim they gave me no money, not even refund for remainder of policy. My girlfriend's company had refund policy no questions asked. Please choose another company.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Andrew,

We've replied to your other two reviews.

Sydnery

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Helpful and supportive all the way through the claim

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 11, 2017

I needed to fly home for surgery and Global Nomads system for helping out was efficient and supportive. They were prompt in their emails, and got on the phone when needed.
They didn't hesitate to pay for flights and got me home as quickly as possible.
Thoroughly recommended.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi JohnB, Thanks for such a great review. It's great to hear that the team were able to help you out when you needed it most. I hope you've well and truly recovered from your injuries. All the ... read more »

Thanks Matt, all recovered and back on the field in Africa with Mercy Ships.

1 of 13 pages