Filter By:

Absolute Scam for Adventure Sports, AVOID

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2018

Although their Explorer policy appears to be the best travel insurance for adventure sports like back country skiing or snowboarding the moment you try and make a claim you realize that they are a complete scam.

I had to get helicopter rescued in Switzerland as I was stuck at the top of a 300 foot cliff, but they didn't pay as I didn't have a medical condition at the time of rescue. I was at risk of dying if I moved any direction, however as my leg was not broken I was not covered. I had thought this was the exact type of situation I was buying Explorer coverage for?!

Also, I had a trip cancelation due to unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances out of my control and they also did not cover this although I provided all documentation.

It sucks because I had purchased World Nomads many times before and I thought this was the best insurance for my travels and sporting interests.

I started to realize it was probably a scam when I was attempting to navigate their member's portal on their website. It seems to be intentionally buggy, requires you to login multiples times, the claim section is somewhat hidden, and then a lot of claims can't be made online anyhow. Even when you call them they can't look up your policy by being given your policy number. What?!

It really sucks that the difference between their website and sign-up process is so different to when you actually have to make a claim. If buy special adventure travel insurance for backcountry snowboarding and needs to be rescued literally to avoid death but it doesn't cover, why not just buy regular travel insurance?

Although their marketing makes them seem like the best choice for adventure activities they'll do their best to avoid paying any claims.

Very poor, stay away

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 02, 2018

Easy to sign up, impossible to discuss a claim. No response to email after 8 days. Hopeless, rip off, stay away

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Rob,

Thanks for reaching out.

I've checked the inbox and can see that all emails are under 24 hours.

Can you please send your email through to help@worldnomads.com?

World Nomads.

Matt, 9 days, no reply. check 23.06. sorry. nothing here. It's just been a rubbish experience and talk of depriciating my lost items.

Private message

Did not cover flight cancellation due to fine print

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 06, 2018

My flight for tomorrow got cancelled by the airline for operational reasons. Not my fault. The airline couldn’t provide another flight the same day, so will give me a refund, and I have now booked a different flight. However I’m out of pocket by $450aud as the new flight was more expensive. World Nomads said they won’t cover as they say it’s the airlines fault and they should provide me with an alternative flight (which they did but it was a whole day later, so too late for me to fly). They will only cover me if the flight is cancelled due to reasons outside of the airlines control (eg hijack/ weather). Overall, not paying out when needed really sums up my view of insurance companies. Only positive is that the lady on the phone was nice and I did speak to someone quickly.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Mkss, Sorry to hear that the airline cancelled your flight. If you want me to look at the outcome of your claim to ensure that it's in line with the policy, flick an email through to help@wor... read more »

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Don't expect support when you need it!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

Purchased the Explorer plan (Most Expensive) and when I had a Injury and had to go to 2 different hospitals (very poor one available on the village in and big one after in the city) there was no support before or after the claim. The insurance always asked me to pay up front and never helped with any support (either information on where to go or how to proceed). I spent more than 400 Eur between Doctor Appointment fees and transportation to go on the city and do the necessary exams. When you presented the exhausting list of documents required they ask you 2 weeks to analyse the case and with good lawyers find a way to interpret the insurance contract and escape from paying anything.
In my case they told: I did not get their prior approval for traveling to a better hospital in the city.
Although I reported the accident and told them I was in a Indonesian Island with a very poor hospital (smaller then a house) with no equipment and might need to do exams in a bigger hospital.
The insurance replied: We hope you feel better and please pay up front and make the claim after on our web site form.
I would like to mention I did send pictures bleeding a lot on my chest and later medical reports about the dislocated shoulder injury together with all the paper work requested on the exhausting Online Claim section of the World Nomads.
Totally a Scam!!!!!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Filipe,

Can you please email your details through to help@worldnomads.com so I can look into this for you?

Poor

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

Claim form online extremely hard and annoying to fill up. Emergency number not working. I was on a car accident and found out they are not covering anything. Not even sunglasses for some funny reason? The first and the last time.

Avoid at all costs

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 11, 2018

Pulling teeth is easier than making a claim with this company. From a terrible website that sends you through numerous dead ends when attempting to make a claim to a communications department that will make every attempt to ignore you and your claim. I have been absolutely disgusted by the behaviour of World Nomads and will never insure through them again.

Lying, cheating claims department

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 26, 2018

After my rental car was broken into during the day in France I did everything right. Reported it to Police, contacted the insurer and submitted my claim when I got home.

I was required to pay for a translator to translate the police report into English otherwise they wouldn't accept the claim.

After several weeks I was informed that I couldn't claim the loss of my passports or high value items as they do not cover for those items stolen from cars. They gave me a measly few hundred dollars for the clothes that were stolen and wouldn't pay the rest of the claim.

When I pointed out the Policy refers to 'non-daylight hours' they said there was another clause excluding high value items and passports at ANY TIME.

The Policy document is 68 pages long and the clause they rely on is two lines long. The policy effectively covers nothing and is inconsistent with itself.

What is the point of insurance when you do everything right, pay huge fees and ask for help in an emergency?
You get nothing.

Do not insure yourselves with this company

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Ben, While the policy document is 68 pages long, all of the baggage cover in the Australian policy is listed across 6 pages. These pages also include including tables. The reason why the tables... read more »

Insurance claim made

NEVER AGAIN! Not worth the money.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2017

I would not recommend this travel insurance for ANYONE. I understand they have policies and have to detail everything but I have been working on my claim for 6 MONTHS! I had missed flights, medical reports, and accommodation totaling to about $1200. They only gave me $220 of that back. It has taken them the 6 months to finally send me a detailed letter explaining why they can and cannot cover me for certain things. I completely understand why they can't cover certain aspects of my claim but for it to take 6 months, multiple emails, constant scanning of documents, and just a down right awful communication process is ridiculous. On top of everything, their claim form SUCKS! Half the information I added in didn't show up which is why I had to file the claim for the second time, and it is not well explained on the website or when I received my printed document of my filed claim. For me to pay $500 for this insurance and only get a small amount back really blows. Before I had insurance through this company I had paid $30 for basic travel insurance through a small company and they helped 10X more than this one. I also got EVERYTHING I claimed back.

Not worth the money.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Jessie,

We've replied to your other review.

Brunswick

Absolutely atrocious customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2017

After dislocating and breaking my shoulder and damaging my rotator cuff in Australia, I began to submit a claim status for my injuries. The customer service was absolutely horrible - the after hours help line for their American subsidiary/partner, TripMate, was useless. They couldn't provide any information or help. Their emergency line hung up on me when I asked who I could contact regarding questions about the claims forum as well. Rude & incompetent staff, not to mention that their online claim process isn't even online. They require you to print out numerous forms, assume international call costs, and provide non existent customer service during hours reasonable for someone living in Australia. It's like they've designed it to deter people from having the patience to actually submit a claim. It's pretty crappy having to wake up at ungodly hours with serious injuries just to get hung up on by some rude woman who doesn't feel like doing her job.

Would not ever recommend this company again. Unprofessional, poorly organized, and overly complicated claims process.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Spencer, I'm sorry to hear that you broke your shoulder in Australia. We take your feedback very seriously. The last thing we want for our travelers is a bad customer service experience, esp... read more »

Update: 6 weeks later, I haven't seen a dime. 10k+ in impending bills for surgery, ambulance, hospital, physio, etc. World Nomads subsidiary, Trip Mates is quite literally a hive of villainy, and I... read more »

Edmonton

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Phone got stolen and they say it's not covered

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2017

I used this company for over a year and only made a few medical claims, but a week before my trip ended, my bag which had my phone, credit card, and other ID in it was stolen on the beach in Barcelona. I was in the water but my friends were on the beach watching over our stuff and it was still stolen - they say they can't pay my claim because it wasn't being supervised, but it clearly was. Am I supposed to bring my belongings with me into the water every time I go to the beach or a pool? They keep telling me that it wasn't supervised, when I've made it very clear that it was. I made a police report in Barcelona and have all the receipts and documents showing what was stolen. This is ridiculous, people get travel insurance for situations like just this. I won't be using this company again if they can't even protect my belongings when they get stolen. My laptop also got damaged because someone spilt water on it and they won't do anything about that because "mechanical malfunctions" aren't covered, even though it isn't just a random malfunction but a result of damage. I'm so exhausted trying to talk to this company and explain my situation as I always get the same response back and no help at all.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi PaigeH, Thanks for getting in touch. Can you please send your policy number and details to help@worldnomads.com, and I'll look further into your claim to see what options you have. All the b... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

I won't use them again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

Don't choose world nomads. They would not even refund me the remainder of my travel insurance when part way through a working holiday my travel companion/girlfriend had a family emergency. It was her immediate family and she was very upset. Most companies will refund a remainder of insurance if you cancel trip part way through for emergency. Insurance should help you in these unfortunate situations and usually does. But when I submitted a claim they gave me no money, not even refund for remainder of policy. My girlfriend's company had refund policy no questions asked. Please choose another company.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Andrew,

We've replied to your other two reviews.

Sydnery

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Helpful and supportive all the way through the claim

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 11, 2017

I needed to fly home for surgery and Global Nomads system for helping out was efficient and supportive. They were prompt in their emails, and got on the phone when needed.
They didn't hesitate to pay for flights and got me home as quickly as possible.
Thoroughly recommended.

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi JohnB, Thanks for such a great review. It's great to hear that the team were able to help you out when you needed it most. I hope you've well and truly recovered from your injuries. All the ... read more »

Thanks Matt, all recovered and back on the field in Africa with Mercy Ships.

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Exasperating and futile attempts to communicate when making a claim.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2017

I developed high altitude sickness at a course given at 12,000 feet in Ladakh, India and needed to fly immediately to a lower elevation to recover. In Delhi I made my claim because I could not return to the 10 day course I paid for and had only been there 2 days. The TripMate website that WorldNomads uses for claims quickly demonstrated that there was no intention to sincerely communicate with me. Questions and answers from the TripMate 'agents' did not demonstrate any knowledge of my case; they were generic questions that were asked over and over again. I answered over and over again but never felt that any individual was actually helping me or that any effort was made to read the information packet I sent them which contained all of the requested receipts and letters to back up my claim. NEVER did anyone call me; NEVER was I able to contact an agent in person though I spent hours on a phone line trying to contact a person. TripMate handles claims only using email; very controlled without direct contact with a person. The agents names-first name only- change with every question posted.

My husband was fully reimbursed as my traveling partner within 2 weeks of making his claim using a different trip insurance company. I would never recommend this company and am writing this review to steer others away from making the mistake I did. ABSOLUTELY NO to TripMate/World Nomads.

USD$15,000 all covered.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 22, 2017

I can't believe the reviews here of people having such trouble with World Nomads and claiming from them. To the point that I have been prompted to do something I don't normally do - review them!
My husband and I backpacked around Sri Lanka, Mexico, Cuba and several South American countries over 9 months over 2015 and 2016.
My husband fell off a road bike in Peru and shattered his shoulder, requiring a shoulder reconstruction (we realise now, that maybe the full reco was not actually required, but that's another story, nothing to do with World Nomads). From teh minute we called them, all was taken care of. They spoke with the hospital and arranged payment. We wold not have even known how much was covered, if not for asking.
To top it all off, turns out he needed another two sugeries to remove his new metalwork once we got to Santiago. With the two weeks between surgeries, we were even permitted to continue our travel plans South and World Nomads flew us (BOTH) back to Santiago for the second surgery.

Oh. And when we got home, we also were able to claim water damage to our camera after my accident-prone husband accidentally dropped it in the ocean!

Read and understand your policy, the paperwork that is required and you will have no problems.
We don't go with anyone else anymore.

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi PTS, Thanks for such a great review and for your sharing your story. I'm sorry to read that your husband feel of a road bike in Peru and shattered his shoulder! I can't imagine the pain. I'l... read more »

• 1 answer
  • 3 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Extremely difficult to make a claim

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

I had to make a claim as I fell sick in Lombok, Indonesia. I was advised by the doctor there to return to Singapore for further treatment. It was like blood from a stone first of all getting World Nomads to accept the claims for treatment both in Lombok and Singapore, and they then took an extremely long time - requiring persistent chasing up - to get my claim finalised.

I was challenged by World Nomads when I presented them with my doctors written medical report, and they said they did not agree with his conclusion for me to terminate my vacation early. Like they could judge my condition via a phone call better than the doctor I had been to see in Indonesia. I was shocked that they would challenge the doctors written advice.

Eventually I did get my claim processed, but when they had deducted the excess I may as well have paid it myself in entirety for all the trouble I had been through with phone calls, emails and chasing up the processing of my claim. However if you are applying for travel insurance after having already left your home country as I was, you have limited options. I would not have used them otherwise.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Greg, Thanks for reaching out and letting me know. I'm sorry to read that you fell sick in Indonesia. Can you please send your policy number to help@worldnomads.com so that I can look into wh... read more »

Brisbane

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Not there when they are needed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2017

Similar to the many other bad reviews, I had a bad experience with WN. Fell ill during my travels in Canada and after collecting all the information they needed from the doctors, including the doctor's diagnosis, the complete showstopper was them not being able to confirm my claim had similar history or previous diagnosis in Australia. When questioned whether this was fair, to have the complete claim process for 3 months over this, they stated this is procedure, which is reasonable, but not fair. My claim was for $600. I've been waiting to hear their response for my asthma claim for over 5 weeks, but my hopes are not up. Wouldn't recommend WN to my friends and family. Pricing may be competitive, but why waste all your money to save some if their level of service is severely lacking?

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Mario, Thank for reaching out and letting me know. It is standard procedure for the team to check up on pre-existing medical conditions. Often the hold up can be getting info from doctors. The... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Insurance claim made

Scam! They won't even acknowledge our claim

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2017

To whom it may concern,

It's been over 3 weeks since we filed our claim and no one has been in touch with us. We called trip mate USA and they gave us a fake email when we asked where to send our additional information. I have purchased this insurance more than once and recommended it to so many friends, yet this is the first time I actually need it and it seems like a huge scam.
Acknowledge your customers!! We will be posting this message as a review of your deserving one star, also will recommend everyone who is still on the roads to call their CC and cancel their insurance because it's non existent.

Here are pictures of documents you required a NOMAD to have while traveling in the middle of nowhere. RIDICULOUS!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Fiona,

I've responded to your other review and will continue to email you.

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

They are a scam company -they owe me around $6000 and haven't paid in four months

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2017

I took their coverage for medical and emergency evacuation. I am a US citizen. I have submitted the reimbursement receipts and proof of travel. They will keep deflecting and not paying you. They are interested in your money, not in actually being there when you need them, what they CLAIM they are there for. It's a scam company. Do NOT take insurance from them. They are AWFUL and unethical. In the US they'd have a class action lawsuit against them, and I will now explore that option.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Vasu, Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear that you feel as though the claims team are deflecting you. They work to strict turnaround times, and if all required documentation has been... read more »

Insurance claim made

Quick and easy claims process

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2017

I had to make a claim for my medical expenses because my toddler fell ill in Thailand. The online claims system was straight forward and the money hit my account within few days. Would highly recommend to families traveling with kids.

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Carol, I'm sorry to read that your toddler fell ill in Thailand. As a parent, I know that there's nothing worse than a sick child overseas. It's great to read that you found the claim systems ... read more »

Insurance claim made

Emergency Assistance when you need it

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2017

After falling ill in Bali, my wife contacted the Emergency Assistance team in Sydney, who were very professional and friendly. They told us to go to BIMC in Nusa Dua. I was diagnosed with dengue and received the care and treatment i needed. The team also helped rearrange my flights home.

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hey Scott, I'm sorry to read that you fell ill in the Island of the Gods. Unfortunately it's quite common for travellers to contract dengue from those pesky mosquitoes in Bali. It's great that t... read more »

1 of 12 pages