Barefoot Telecom

ADSL down again for days

On the early morning of Thu the 16th of May, my phone line went dead yet again after a few days of dwindling. The fix phone was absolutely silent while the modem ADSL light was permanently red.
I called Barefoot. They went through a long procedure while keeping me on the phone only to declare that everything is okay at their end even if they could not even call me on the fix line.
They would log though a fault with Telstra for my sake but I may have to pay the copios Telstra's fees for intervention just in case I tinkered with their distribution box which I have no idea what and where it is.
I have no contract with Telstra and don't want to deal with Telstra. I want Barefoot to fix their faults in 48 hours at most as it should.
So, in the past few months this is the second time I have no Internet for days. I cannot work because I work from home. I cannot watch my shows or Netflix. On top I'll have to up my mobile bill to buy additional data.
I had enough of calling Barefoot only for them to blame me, the customer, because they cannot properly diagnose the line from their end.
It's not good when the customer service claims their systems are okay when they clearly aren't or when they claim, as last time, that they measure 6mb/s, which is no reason to complain!, when I was measuring 3-4mb/s with Telstra's own speed test.
Besides, when I asked last time to be compensated for the time, effort and money lost during their failure to fix the line two weeks in a row while asking me to buy and replace modem after modem, they were prompt to tell me that they have a policy in place that limited compensation to a few days.
Now, more than 48 hours later, Saturday the 18th, the line is still dead and will remain most likely so until Tuesday.

The reason I have not cancelled yet Barefoot is that I fear it could be even worse. But if Barefoot continues to be increasingly unresponsive, unable to diagnose a defect but trying to threaten me, the customer, with Telstra's rich fees, I'll simply terminate the contract with minimum notice.

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Adrian, We are sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your ADSL service. Unfortunately, ADSL connections are managed by Telstra who owns all the infrastructure and not something we or any other re-seller have control over. In saying that, we do understand that any issues with connection are incredibly frustrating and reflect poorly on our own service, and we constantly raise these sorts of issues with our suppliers. Can you please confirm your account number so we can look into this further? Regards, The Barefoot teamI was informed last night that due to to catastrophic faliure it will take until the 23rd to restore the line, that is 7 days, if they will fix it indeed. Catastrophic it was last time though when it was a powerful storm but now I would call it catastrophic negligence to say it nicely. At least 10% of the time since I signed the contract with you the line was down, nevermind the poor bandwidth and frequent dropouts. Perhaps I should add that initially it took Telstra two weeks to boot the line at my cost of $250 indeed. It's not enough to work with your suppliers but Barefoot should sign a contract with Telstra that obliges them to compensate your customers for such catastrophically long failures because it looks to me that neither you, nor Telstra lose anything but just me, the customer. It will be nice to share the losses though in particular when it is your suppliers' fault. Account 628397

Great Service, Top Value and Excellent Support.

I have been a Barefoot customer for a few years and have only needed to contact them on a couple occasions.. one for technical support and once for account information.
I was amazed when i rang Tech Support 10 mins before the end of the working day, they returned my call about 30 mins after they closed and told me they always got back to people in the que, regardless of time of day. Helpful and Professional support from Australian staff.. no overseas call centres to deal with.

The NBN Service has been reliable, and i have always received notification from Barefoot is there was ever a service disruption in my area.

I contacted them again today with a small account inquiry, and they were fast, helpful and gave me great service again. no complaints here.

I Highly recommend Barefoot for a no fuss, reliable service, at great value.

Start DateSeptember 2016
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Andrew S, Many thanks for taking the time to leave us this review, it is much appreciated by all of the team! Regards, The Barefoot team

Horribly unreliable

Unreliable internet - repeated hours of no wifi during peak times with no explanation or discount offered. Waste of money.
I'm in Brisbane, CBD, Saturday night at 8
8:30, no internet, again, and no one available to phone. This is the 4th time in just a few weeks.
Thankfully this hasn't happened while I've been working yet, but I cannot afford the risk.

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Emma C, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?

Affordable & Reliable

I've been with Barefoot Telecom for approx 1 year and have been extremely happy thus far. The setup was seamless, literally plug and play with no hiccups. Although I haven't really needed to contact them, the team are very friendly, helpful and informative when I have. I have had no issues with the connection that I can remember and if I have it obviously wasn't down very long. Speed is extremely consistent regardless of the time of day (I'm on FTTN NBN50, approx 150/m from the node). Barefoot don't overdo the marketing and are excellent in their communication. No ridiculous or hidden fees and extremely affordable. I recommend them anytime I'm asked who I'm with for my internet. The one thing I can recommend for anyone (in general, not just Barefoot customers) is to do the research and look in to purchasing a quality modem router (unfortunately I am unable to comment on Barefoot's router available for purchase, as I didn't purchase it and therefore don't use it - this isn't to say that it's bad).

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Cameron K, Thanks for your fantastic review! Glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience. Regards, The Barefoot team

Constant dropouts

My internet constantly drops out, especially at night and I have to tether my phone. I called about it and it seems like an overly complicated process to see what the problem was including me having a Ethernet cable which I don’t have.

Start DateMarch 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Bree, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?

Barefoot is the best !

OK , Barefoot has always been responsive and upfront from the start , and very easy to communicate with. My only issues have been with the NBN service being somewhat unreliable in terms of speed and consistency. My line is approx 250M from the node , so you'd expect that I'd get the highest speeds the majority of the time but that is not the reality.

Barefoot is not to blame for their suppliers shortcomings.

I have the 50MBPS service and can get up to that speed if I pick my times well , but as soon as my near local High school is open , the speeds go down.
I've spoken to other local users with other ISP's and they have much bigger issues.

So , I'm very happy with Barefoot !

Start DateJanuary 2017
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi B2BR, Thanks for your great feedback! Glad to hear we have provided you a good experience. Regards, The Barefoot team

Poor Barefoot service

For about 11 days now, beginning with the 18/03/19 we had no or intermittent broadband connection. We called Barefoot customer service on the 19th of March.
They advised us immediately to replace the modem because the line was good. We bought a few modems one after another, new and second hand. Neither modem worked. At last Barefoot concluded that it may be the line but I had to pay about two hundred dollars if the line was good, as if it was not Barefoot who had to check the line and come with a diagnostic. I have a contract with Barefoot not with Telstra. It was clear even for us though, that the line was at fault because it was either noisy or silent and ringing busy.
Telstra took about five days to fix the line starting a Saturday. We called Barefoot again three times because the modems did not work with the line repaired now.
At last, we decided to try again the initial modem and it worked. The modem was good all this time, it was the line at fault. Yet, we had do the testing, modem swapping and all the footwork for them though. In the end one of their customer service told us that the last D-Link model we bought was not compatible with their network anyway, even though it used to work on and off for short periods until they "fixed" the line.
But it's not over. The broadband speed is now 3-5Mbps measured with Telstra speed test on Ethernet, less than half from what a normal ADSL line should be. Barefoot, coming with technical explanations, assured us that it is only normal, even when we insisted that we used to measure normally double, that is about 9Mbps before. In the end, Barefoot told us that they cannot do much because it is Testra's fault. Yet, we have a contract with Barefoot. What should we do?
All in all, I called them more than eight times now. They never called back to let me know if the defect was fixed or keep me informed. Every time I had to tell them the story from the beginning.
We lost time and money. Since we work from home, we could not do our work. We could not communicate over Skype and chat with our peers and clients. We could not stream any film or show and as such wasted the Netflix subscription. We lost time shopping around for modems. We had to pay for alternative 4G wireless and for the urgent delivery fees for modems.
We lost our calm. But we still have to go back to return two modems. What are we going to tell the shops, that Barefoot made them buy them? We also have a drawer full of new and second hand modem-router equipment now.
And we still have 3-5Mps broadband. What should we do? Any advice? We do not have NBN installed.

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Adrian, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?My account number is 628397 (Silvia Grigoriu) I also sent a letter to your customer service requiring a refund for the month of March because we spent so much time and money for the many modems we had to buy and test only to discover after 11 days that it was the line. It looks like you blamed our modem rather than the line because you feared that Telstra would charge you rather than us. But your staff should be competent enough to diagnose the problem in the first place. Now the broadband delivered is still small, we measured on average 5Mbps at noon while the broadband and sometimes drops to as low as low 1Mbps; we measured before the problem was about 9Mbps and the promise is around 12Mbps in our situation that is within a coupe of kms from the exchange.Hi Adrian, Thanks for confirming the details. We can see the relevant team has responded to your request on Monday. Regards, The Barefoot team

Great company

Their delivery and connection dates were earlier than expected.
Their tech support line is answered immediately and your not left on hold for hours waiting, like with other internet providers.
All of my technical issues have been resolved promptly by helpful and friendly staff.

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Craig, Thanks for your fantastic review! Glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience. Regards, The Barefoot team

Excellent product/service.

Lives up to it's claims, has just given me a further 3 months at the lower introductory rate, I'm so impressed because it was unexpected. Download and upload speeds are consistent and what we signed up for.

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Albert, Glad to hear you are so happy with us, thanks for your review! Regards, Barefoot team

Grateful to their customers

When calling Barefoot there are very short if not non existent wait times and the staff are extremely helpful and professional. When issues have occurred they have been dealt with quickly and professionally putting costumer satisfaction first.

Start DateMay 2016
Hi Luke, Many thanks for your feedback and kind words! Regards, The Barefoot team

Brilliant company to deal with ☆☆☆☆☆

I have used Barefoot Telecom for both NBN and ADSL services over the past 3+ years, initially for their great value and no contract, then delighted to discover a company with awesome customer service. A very helpful team which goes above and beyond the call of duty, regular updates when there were occasional NBN drop-outs, and even replacing my modem free of charge when it became faulty after moving house. It would take a lot for me to jump ship to another provider!

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Irene M, Wow, what can we say! Many thanks for your fantastic review. Glad to hear we have provided you a good experience! Regards, The Barefoot teamKeep up the awesome work Team!!

Good so far

I haven't had any issues with internet and it was easy to connect and set everything up. So far internet has been stable and normal speed, with the usual slow times after 5pm as with every other provider I have had in the past. I only had only issue with getting my new SIM card with them and they made a whole month of my life really difficult without any proper solution but for me to return to my old phone provider and their customer service is not great.

Start DateNovember 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Vaj, Thanks for your review. We are sorry to hear about your experience with our mobile service and customer service. Can you please advise your account number so we address this matter ASAP?

Great service. No issues. Support team very helpful

Connection stable. We are some distance from the local NBN node speed is 35-36 mbs download. Was same ratio as ADSL. Would be nice if a little faster, nonetheless happy.

Start DateFebruary 2019
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Mark, Thanks for your review. Regards, The Barefoot team.

No thrills, No Fuzz, No Buzz but it is Cheap

I have been with a barefoot for a few months now after shopping around for a good broadband deal until NBN arrives. On the price they are very competitive and for service we have not had any outages but my word the service is sooooo slow. I have not had a slower of any provider compared to them.

Start DateNovember 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Nico VDM, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? If you are experiencing issues please contact our support team on 1300017622 so we can investigate.

Terrible speeds every night

My internet is basically unusable at night, slowing down to <1mbps (speed test) and then sometimes gets stuck on this speed during the day too. Customer service is only available until 7pm which is extremely frustrating for those who work long hours and means I can never call when the speeds go down. Repeated troubleshooting hasn't worked. I understand they rent the lines so their customers get booted off the bandwidth first. I'm not organising to change providers.

Start DateJune 2018
Connection TypeI don't know
Hi BeeC, We are sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?

Worst Experience ever with ADSL barefoot

I just came back from my holidays a month ago and decided to pair up with this company as i've previously done a nbn service with them. i must say a lot of things has gone horribly wrong.

1. Arrogant staff:

I politely asked if there was any discount or offer for a returning customer and the staff sounded angry and wasn't pleased at offering it to me.

2. Poor communication between staff

Sadly the staff could not pick up my address (if there was nbn or no nbn offered at the building). I was eventually signed up and was told there was an issue with the building (line disconnection fee) and needed to wait approximately 20 business days for the line to activate. No communication or follow up until the last day of the 20 days and was told i need to fork out additional $200+ to get the line re-install and wait another 20+ days. This was totally ridiculous. After having enough of this i decided to turn to another ISP.

I'm currently with TPG and i must say they were really polite and friendly. There was constant communication and follow up on the status on my installation. It took them a total of 3 business days to get everything sorted out.

My biggest regret was coming back to barefoot. Have really wasted my time and energy with you people that can't even get your processes right.

Start DateDecember 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi Tyron, Sorry to hear of your experience. Can you please advise your Barefoot account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?

Easy to deal with, do what they say they will do. Reliable service

Reliable, with constant download and upload speed. Download always between 45 & 47 Mbps. In nearly 12 months have only experienced just a very few short dropouts. We have a home phone VOIP service as part of the bundle, this has worked seamlessly, with better volume and clarity than our old ADSL service.

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Richard, Many thanks for your review! Glad to hear you have had a good experience. Regards, The Barefoot team

Do NOT choose this ISP

I used this company for over a year. The service constantly dropped out and if I wanted to get it fixed I had to risk a very expensive outcall fee if I was found "at fault". On top of this, the service did not work at all for the last month, but the bill kept coming. And now, after having canceled the service more than a month ago, I am still getting my bank account debited by this company!! I even received an email confirmation from them saying that my account was closed, but I am still being charged. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. My overall experience is rated at 0/100. I literally feel robbed.

Connection TypeADSL/ADSL2+
Hi Mauricio, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?

It's amazing what a difference good service makes!

I've been with Barefoot for about 12 months and they've been just fantastic. Connection was easy and the speed is consistently good.

But the real clincher is the customer service. When call Barefoot I usually get through in less than a minute, and not only when I was a potential new customer but afterwards too. Plus if the wait time is likely to be longer, they offer to call you back - and then they actually do! (Shocking right?) The staff there are always friendly and they know their stuff.

I recently had a look around for a cheaper price, and while I did find a plan that was a few dollars less per month, the reviews for that company were absolutely terrible. In the end it was Barefoot's excellent customer service that tipped the scales in their favour. I don't need to call them often, but when I do, I know it will be stress-free.

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Mel C, Glad to hear you are so happy with us, thanks for your review! Regards, Barefoot team

Great customer service

I have always said that the true way to see how good a company is to make a complaint. Any organisation can be good when everything is going great and their customers are happy it is when things go wrong that first-rate companies shine. Barefoot Investor have provided my household with fantastic service! The first instance was a misunderstanding on my part. We signed up for the $89.00 for 6 months deal and then $99.00. The 6 months came up quickly and when I disputed their charge they explained in a polite, non-patronising manner my error. The 2nd instance was we started to experience up to 3 dropouts per day with our NBN. I contacted them, they responded to me within 24 hours saying they agreed that the number of dropouts was unacceptable and would deal with it. They asked for a bit more info from us and within 48 hours it was fixed. Thanks!!

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Amanda H, Wow, thanks for the review, it's always good to hear positive feedback! Great to hear we have dealt with your complaints well. Regards, The Barefoot team