See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Excellent SUV - Just brilliant

Purchased as a well priced demo (4,000 kms) in 2016 from Brisbane BMW I was delighted with my 2.0D X3 after a tragic experience with a possessed by the devil Volvo XC60.

The X3 is perfect in many ways - not too big and not too small. The 2.0L Diesel is powerful enough, yet does have a small amount of turbo large.

Inside the X3 is not as plush as the Volvo XC60 was - but it was still a nice place to be and in true BMW form, it was a delight to drive.

Over the 2 years I owned the BMW, I did 50,000 KM's - all trouble free. The servicing was a tad expensive, but no more then my Mazda 6 I owned some years back. Brisbane BMW where also a delight to deal with - a noticeable step above everybody else - nothing was too much trouble.

Having recently traded the X3 in on a new BMW - I still had original tyres on the car. It was near perfect in many ways and I only have praise for the BMW X3.

Purchased in August 2016 for $62,000.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

awesome-feel drive

I own this car just over a year and I am in love with it--I use it mostly over the weekends as a family car--Love driving it--though it is SUV but feels like a sedan-I am simply in love with car and highly recommend everyone--Love the panoramic sunroof--SUV but compact !!

Date PurchasedApr 2017

BMW X3 30d an unassuming rocket!

I have now owned my BMW X3 30d for 6 months
Performance is 5 star, absolutely fantastic, super quick for a diesel.
The fuel efficiency is excellent when driven sedately.
Finish and ergonomics are perfect
Road noise is present but I believe my tyres may be the culprit.
I have given the BMW X3 4 stars, it deserves 5 stars but price is the only negative.
I forgot to mention the fun factor when pulling away from the lights leaving many fancy pants vehicles in your rear view mirror!!

BadgexDrive30d
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Sporty Firm Ride mid-sized entry-level luxury X model SAV/SUV

Owned a MY2015 X3 F25 LCI 20d xDrive with M Sport package (panoramic sunroof, 20" M light alloy wheels Double-spoke 310 M wheels) for 2.5 years, traded it in for a F87 M2 in early 2018.

Fuel consumption:
Overall it's a good mid-sized family SUV, fuel consumption is consistently below 10L/100km for Sydney urban driving. Outside of Sydney metropolitan area, it can go well below 7L/100km on the highway.

Chassis / Suspension / Ride quality / Ride Comfort
The chassis/suspension is on the firm side, especially paired with 20" wheels and Run-flat tyres (totally ruins the ride comfort, the only pro is that you can push hard when cornering due to firm suspension settings and wide rear tyres, very little body roll, but what's the point to do that in a X3?). Ride for passengers can be quite harsh, especially when go over speed humps. Seats are not fluffy enough (especially rear). Overall interior design is about 5 years behind Mercedes-Benz and Audi competitors. The G01 X3 is catching up but still not good enough.

Handling is first class in its segment/class (GLC, Q5). Powertrain (4 cyl. diesel) is average, B47D20 + ZF 8HP provides no excitement for its size (1700kg+). In addition, the way a diesel engine works is totally different from petrol engines, people need to understand what they are buying before making a decision. I'd never buy diesel-powered passenger car again (it was my 1st and last), especially with DPF. Even the straight six 30d doesn't offer good NVH (low speed low rev vibration, diesel noise from outside of the cabin. I don't drive enough to benefit from diesel engine (less than 10,000km per year).

If you want to buy a pre-owned F25 LCI X3: my suggestions are 1. pick one with DDC (dynamic damper control - similar to adaptive suspension - VERY RARE in Australia), mine didn't have it and that's why ride quality was so bad. 2. Don't go for wheels larger than 19", it doesn't help to run faster. Last but not least, don't buy if you don't have to ;-)

Reliability issues:
1. rear door window had a window seal rubber failure
2. Door and interior noise (lubricate rubber needed)
3. Front wheel speed sensor failure
4. as a result of #3, electronic parking brake failed (this is my first car with electronic parking brake and it did fail!!! so I rolled back to a F87 with handbrake!).

Out of warranty ownership can be bad for this generation. Consider twice before buying.

Purchased in July 2015.

Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Very satisfied

Great car. Drives very well with good control. Loads of features and Diesel engine gives great mileage. I tried Merc GLC but I found it a bit delicate ( not my type). The sporty version looks a bit sturdy. I am happy with this car. I might go for a bigger engine next time.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Terrible Quality Seat Covers

We purchased a new BPW X3 in July 2012. We wanted to buy leather seats but we were advised by sales staff that manmade leather the default was equally good and hard wearing. Seat cover started cracking in June 2015 (just before warranty expired). Seat cover was replaced by BMW under warranty.
Now in 2018 February Seat cover again has same problems. The standard seat covers supplied with a premier car does not even last three years. It is shocking to see such poor quality material being used by a leading luxury brand car in Australia.

Date PurchasedJul 2012

Best car ever

Best car we ever brought. Very comfortable and has enough leg room. One of the best features it allows is the pre conditioning where you turn the ventilation of your car on via your mobile before you get to the car, making he temperature inside the car to better suit you. very friendly staff at Adelaide BMW.

Date PurchasedNov 2014

Great operational single driver

Performance of BMW is unquestionable. IT IS THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!

handling is probably the best in its class. very good in maneuvering. just a noise reduction is not as good as the merc.

been using this X3 since July 2013. I would say it does everything quite good.

the only downfall is BMW didnt provide comfort shock or what they call adaptive something which makes the car runs comfortable for bumps.

other than that, amazing 4WD compact car!

Date PurchasedJul 2013

Some good features, expensive to run, customer service is very disappointing

The engine and transmission are mostly good other than annoying lag at times. Interior is quite OK without being great. Seats tend to be hard which when combined with run flats makes for a fairly hard ride.
Run flat tyres are a pain as they make the ride too hard, they wear too quickly (around 30,000kms) and punctures are more difficult to deal with. I have had more punctures in this car than any previous vehicle.

Brakes also wear comparatively quickly and are very expensive to replace.

3 years 60,000ks warranty and optional service package is poor in comparison to what is offered by other brands. This amounts to about two services which are little more than vehicle inspections. Don’t expect any consideration from dealership once out of warranty.

Waverley BMW are disappointing to say the least, quick to charge inflated prices for doing very little, not to mention not listening to what the customer tells them and therefore repeating work previously done while ignoring what was requested. Repair of blocked sunroof drainage system quoted in excess of $1200 plus $250 to diagnose problem. But didn’t bother to dry out the soaking wet footwell & carpet caused by this fault even though they had the vehicle for the whole day
No urgency in carrying out work, don’t expect a service (inspection) to be completed in a couple of hours.

Sat nav is ok, though updates are a rip off and infrequent.

This will be the first and last BMW I ever buy. Just not worth the premium price tag especially in view of the poor customer service.

Date PurchasedOct 2013

A Great Team at Hawthorn BMW

I love my X3, and a big THANK YOU to Chris, Matthew and Christo at Hawthorn BMW for providing excellent service when purchasing my X3. The BMW seats are so comfortable, and I am thrilled with the panoramic sunroof. The bootspace is perfect for my needs. I was able to purchase 10 year fixed price servicing pack, which is a real bonus, given I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Incredibly good car

We've had this for 15 months now, replacing our previous X5 and complementing our 320d. It is an ideal size, although rear luggage space isn't as good as the X5.

Driving dynamics are excellent, and being able to switch between Comfort and Sport is ideal when you have two drivers who have very different driving expectations.

The 2.0d engine is very fuel-efficient and refined, although I still prefer the rougher yet slightly gutsier (yet older) 2.0d in my 3-series. The 2.0 turbo petrol (28i) would also be worth a look - this is a cracker of an engine in the 3-series.

My partner liked our X5 but dislikes my 3-series, being an M-Sport version. Although the X3 is an M-Sport, we both find it an excellent compromise.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Think Carefully Before Choosing

I have had my X3 30d for just over a year before writing so my experience would be holistic. This is the 5th BM I have had and I loved the previous models so I didn't question buying another. Doh! I should have.

Pros: It has heaps of power, solid build, good vision, comfortable adjustable sports seats, easy access for old timers like me. Reasonable fuel economy for a 3 ltr. The dash is ok. The Heads Up display is a good idea.

Cons:
*Run flat tires make the ride exceptionally hard and the older they get, the harder the ride is.
*There is no spare! BMW fits different width tires from front to back (this is an unwanted option), so depending upon which Tyre you get the puncture on, you may not get it fixed for a 3-4 days as these tires are not common at tyre stores. Run flats are meant to be a fuel saver, but in country Oz, they are a pain when you are stranded. The 250km you can drive on them is not quite true. The Bimmer forums are full of failed run flats.
*The Auto brake has to be manually turned on to use it, in other cars this is automatic.
*The econo mode has to be manually turned on each time you start the car, in other makes this is automatic.
*The old model had a split tailgate which protected the bumper from loading scratches, this is no longer the case, so expect the rear bumper to be scratched over time.
*The design of the rear funnels dirt and dust on the rear door and bumper, so every time to access it, you WILL get covered in grime, yet another dry cleaning bill.
*BMW still have the manual air temp switch as the auto aircon split doesn't function properly to keep the temperature constant.
*The auto engine off and auto brake combination is rough and feels like a truck to drive. With hard tires, this makes the car an effort and very unenjoyable.
*Large turning circle for a BM.
*The washer bottle clogs up regularly due to a design flaw and cost $200 to get fixed each time. It is not in an accessible place for a home job. Common problem across all BMs.
*The car bleeds grease from every drain hole in the panels covering the car.
*The GPS has a lag, so by the time you at are the location on the GPS, you have passed it.
*The Heads up display design is flawed. If you have sun glasses on, you cannot see it.
*Finally, a quick scan of the BMW servicing agents reviews reveals a worrying trend, they are almost all bad with a lot complaints to BMW Australia. BM service agents are tasked with changing over whole units rather than fixing the issues as this is one way to increase revenue. Not all service agents do this some are very good, but the reviews and forums are telling the same experiences of this approach. So beware and question any repairs, and it is better to get a second opinion before proceeding.

Would I buy another? No. The X3 is uncomfortable after a time, tiring and is a worry with the run flats, grime at the back, washer bottle clogging up etc... So many small annoying issues that make it unpleasant.

Previous models had innovate niches that made their cars worth getting and driving. These days, a Nissan will do the same job or better.

BadgexDrive30d Lifestyle
Date PurchasedApr 2016

Sporty & responsive

Performance: The drive modes are accurate, quick change of modes, very responsive in Sport mode
Likes: Lots of driver assist and safety features, cruise control is smooth, seat memory is useful.
Dislike: GPS lacks speed warning, No dash cam, possible suspension calibration issues as you feel road contour
Costs: 10.7 l for 100 Kms, not bad, not great.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Great SUV

BMW X3 handles well but a little soft around corners. the interior is well build but design is rather simple.
legroom is very good even in the back seats. diesel engine means very good fuel economy but you do feel the
diesel gruff whilst stationary. Go for the panoramic sunroof as it is huge !

Date PurchasedOct 2014

Muscular was a word used often in its presence, partly because of its lower stance and aero pack

The driver has a fantastic view out from the high-set seat, with plenty of adjustment from both the steering wheel and perch. The big central screen and big instrument pod are all easy on the eye and simple to use.
Six airbags, ABS, brake assist, brake force distribution, stability and traction controls, rollover sensor all add up to five ANCAP stars.

BadgeXDrive25i Lifestyle
Date PurchasedSep 2013

No regrets!

I am a convert! Not a big fan of BMW outlook to start with, but fell in love during our test drive experience. The comfort and effortless driving pretty much sell itself. Use the corporate program to get 5 years free servicing and warranty. So far it's been great, can't fault the car in any ways!

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Spacious and Quiet Luxury Mid Size SUV

-Very quiet interior, good and dynamic handling along with great cornering ability
-dashboard isnt great but apart from that very spacious and comfortable interior
-very economical
-very good clearance
-excellent technology i.e heads up display and safety functions
-good colour options
-electric heated seats are the best
-panoramic sunroof is also a nice addition

BadgeXDrive25i Lifestyle
Date PurchasedJun 2017

good car

good car, I did a lot of research before purchasing this car. HUD is an amazing feature. i have a white one. the color looks amazing too. leather seat is good. and it is very quiet when it is on eco efficiency mode. when it is switched to sports mode, it is very fast.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Great engine. Pity the rest of the SUV doesn't match it!

I did a lot of research before I purchased my 2015 BMW 30D X3 F25 LCI. I thought it was my dream car, but it didn't turn out that way. it drove and handled well, and that 3L Diesel engine is just delightful. Unbelievable go for a Diesel engine. The problem was that within weeks the car developed awful squeaks from the doors, tailgate and sunroof. After many visits to BMW Melbourne, who I would not recommend if you are purchasing a BMW, the squeaks always returned within weeks. The only thing ever permanently fixed was the squeak from the sunroof, and that meant my car was with the dealer for a whole week. When I checked online it turns out that the squeaking door seals are quite common and it looks like some owners spend a lot of effort to defeat. No matter what I tried or the dealer tried the squeaks always returned. They were so bad they ruined the entire driving experience. I had an opportunity to exit the X3 after 2 years of persisting with the issues, and I gladly got rid of the vehicle. I changed over to the new generation Mazda CX-9 and I can tell you the service experience and vehicle are superior to BMW in every way. BMW need to do lots of work if they think the experience they offer is that of a premium brand and vehicle.

BadgexDrive30d
Date PurchasedJul 2015

Not All It's Cracked Up To Be

I just read a review on Product Review of a new BMW X5, raving about the fuel economy, heads up display and lane departure among other features. Well my opinions of my 5 month old BMW X3 differ somewhat. Unfortunately my 2.0X Drive wasn't optioned with those features above and fuel consumption is only marginally fair with 9.0 l/100km as about the best I can get around town. Look, the car is comfortable, spacious and looks prestigious but has little grunt (typical of a 2L engine under biggish body). I advise, go the 3L or TDi. The navigation system can be difficult and over-complicated to initiate but after a while, it's manageable. The 8 speaker sound system is terrific but again over complicated. The seats are comfortable but I kept getting a sore neck after driving. My osteopath said it may be the design of the seats as he knew of people who had real back issues with Mercedes seats. My biggest issue with this BMW however, is the steering. I really didn't detect it in my test drives but the steering is stiff and quite heavy around town. Get out on the freeway and it is highly direct. Move the steering wheel a tiny fraction and off you go. Correction is needed at every step. As a result, it is not a comfortable, relaxed drive. I find myself moving all over my lane. And it's not just my car. BMW acknowledges the directness of its electronic steering particularly as speeds increase. This car has disappointed me. I did lots of research against Audi Q5, Volvo XC60 and Landcover DiscoSport and reviews generally had X3 on top. Lucky I'm not a professional car reviewer.